NATION

PASSWORD

[IDEA] Work-Life Harmony Accord

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:16 am

OOC; Didn't we have a Modly ruling, not too long ago, that when a resolution passes the Gnomes automatically translate any measurements involved (such as '8 hours', 'day', or 'week'...)' into the appropriate equivalents for each member-nation while they're making sure that the resolution is added to that nation's law-code?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:34 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC; Didn't we have a Modly ruling, not too long ago, that when a resolution passes the Gnomes automatically translate any measurements involved (such as '8 hours', 'day', or 'week'...)' into the appropriate equivalents for each member-nation while they're making sure that the resolution is added to that nation's law-code?

OOC: Think it was on a thread that had an issue about the length of a year, but even so, the requirement of 2/3 free time doesn't need such translating. And also the different lengths of hour/day/week can still be argued in IC.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Macwick
Attaché

Founded: Sep 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Macwick » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:09 pm

I am becoming a little worried now and wonder if I might be invisible and inaudible to the representative from Three Weasels? Hopefully if this is the case those colleagues who can see me and hear me will pass the issues I raise on to the representative so they can respond. I am particularly happy that the representative from Bears Armed has raised the issue of “at least” that I had already raised, but which hasn’t been addressed yet. I will also be interested in the response to the question regarding “harvest time” and if the representative from Three Weasels would like some suggestions on changing this proposal to provide an answer I am happy to assist.

Is clause b also going to be a problem? Can it be interpreted to restrict free time to only 2/3rds of the day? Please can colleagues help me out on this one?

I also note that the representative from Araraukar has raised the issue of GAR 68 with the proposer.

I have concerns with calling this an accord. I would have thought that an accord in this context would be between the two sides of industry rather that something that the WA passes. I hope I can be persuaded otherwise.

I thank the representative from Jarish Inyo for answering my two questions I will respond to these answers in another debate.

Araraukar wrote:
Macwick wrote:I hope my colleague from Tree Weasels is aware of the draft proposal put forward by my nation on a 30 hour working week.

OOC: Pimping your own proposal in someone's else thread is bad form.

OOC: That was not my intention. My intention was that he might find it useful because (as the next sentence stated)

I expect this will face some of the issues raised against our proposal.

I was trying to be supportive.
Tancred Lionheart

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:19 am

Macwick,

You have an issue with the author calling it an accord? It was an act before you suggested it be changed to accord.

As to the 2/3 thing, I see it as a limitation on how many hours one can be required to work. No one can be required to work more then a third of their day.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:37 am

Jarish Inyo wrote:As to the 2/3 thing, I see it as a limitation on how many hours one can be required to work.
No one can be required to work more then a third of their day.

Except the exceptions listed at the end. Still, clause b. will be the one that will most likely see this crushed, should it reach the voting stage. Could be d. too, if it does, as I read it, mean that the individual workers can choose when to stay overtime, rather than work overtime when it is absolutely needed (voluntary participation to the common effort, maybe, but need for overtime determined by the employer), such as when a major project deadline is close, or there is some sort of emergency that needs workers present.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Previous

Return to General Assembly