NATION

PASSWORD

[RE-DRAFT] Aviation Regulation Charter

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Voltrovia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

[RE-DRAFT] Aviation Regulation Charter

Postby Voltrovia » Sun May 11, 2014 9:58 am

Aviation Regulation Charter
Category: Free Trade | Strength: Mild | Proposed by: Image Voltrovia

The World Assembly,

I. APPLAUDING the exceptional contributions made by aviation and aeronautics to the socioeconomic progression of member states since the very beginnings of powered flight.

II. CONFIDENT of the genuine support of member states for the safety and security of aircraft and their passengers as well as the advancement of that safety and security.

III. COGNISANT of the important and complex issues at hand, especially in relation to national sovereignty, global prosperity and international security.

IV. NOTES that in this charter various terms have specific contextual meanings, therefore affirming that:
    (i) The terms "national aviation regulator" and "relevant national authority" shall refer to the authority or body, or authorities or bodies, responsible for the lawful conduct and regulation of civil aviation within a member state.

V. RESOLVES to establish the International Aviation Regulatory Board as an independent body responsible to the World Assembly and entrust it with the following areas of responsibility:
    (i) The registration of all active international airlines and both the aircraft and the pilots of such international airlines.
    (ii) Ensuring that national aviation regulation authorities comply with the regulations detailed herein.
    (iii) The support and provision of resources wherever necessary for national air accident investigations and the authorities that undertake such investigations.

VI. DEFINES a specific regulatory framework for international civil aviation:
    (i) All international airlines in operation should be registered with the relevant national authority and cross-registered at an international level with the International Aviation Regulatory Board. Member states are required to ensure that all such cross-registering is conducted via or by the relevant national authority in order to limit instances of fraud, misrepresentation and delay.
    (ii) All aircraft operated by international civilian airlines must possess acceptable and complete airworthiness documentation including records of any past incidents or accidents, flight cycles undertaken, the condition of engine systems and other recognised metrics of safety in addition to an effective appraisal of the capabilities of the aircraft (such as a general manuals and design datasheets) provided by the manufacturer.
    (iii) All commercial pilots and flight engineers involved in international flights must possess qualifications compliant with international standards and regulations as detailed by this charter and other globally recognised standards of flight education and training.
    (iv) Member states must ensure that copies of all such relevant documentation and data must be held by national aviation regulators and also transmitted to the International Aviation Regulatory Board.
    (v) Furthermore, all member states must possess an authority or group of authorities vested with responsibility over civil aviation and its regulation and which fulfill the role of a national aviation regulator as defined by this charter. Such bodies should be independent of the International Aviation Regulatory Board and pursue responsible policies under a framework devised by their sovereign national governments.
    (vi) Should the bodies referred to in (v) request specific logistical or organisational assistance in the conduct of relevant regulatory activities the International Aviation Regulatory Board is required to take action to render or otherwise administer all necessary support effectively.

VII. ESTABLISHES that this charter is in no way applicable to any active or reserve military forces fielded by member states.
Last edited by Voltrovia on Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:41 am, edited 71 times in total.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sun May 11, 2014 10:03 am

OOC: The one that immediately jumps out is International Transport Safety, which means the safety provisions at least are probably redundant. Other aspects of the legislation are not covered, though.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun May 11, 2014 10:16 am

"Finally, an attempt at international air travel regulation that doesn't force us to open our borders! I like this. In addition to ambassador Fungschlammer's comments-were you promoted from Gnomeburger then?-I would remove clause IX. You cannot enforce the spirit of the law here, just the letter of the law. All you're doing is wasting precious space better put to closing potential loopholes. Creative compliance is a questionable tradition too vigorously adhered to in the WA for such a clause to be effective.

"I'll be keeping an eye on this, and will have a more detailed review at a later time."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sun May 11, 2014 10:19 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:...to ambassador Fungschlammer's comments-were you promoted from Gnomeburger then?...

OOC: It's a post specifically marked as OOC. Is the roleplay culture of the WA really so degraded that people can't even recognise that? I'll bold it in future.

Back to the proposal: one other important issue is category. Regulatory proposals are difficult because there isn't really a category for pure regulation.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sun May 11, 2014 10:27 am

Only got a quick moment here, but .... Category and Strength?
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Voltrovia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Voltrovia » Sun May 11, 2014 10:28 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:OOC: The one that immediately jumps out is International Transport Safety, which means the safety provisions at least are probably redundant. Other aspects of the legislation are not covered, though.

[OOC: GAR#34 certainly does concern areas similar to those proposed in the charter, it is neither comprehensive enough in this regard, nor does it make provision for the complete certification of airframes and the provision of specific international standards for aviation. I do recognise that GAR#34 is somewhat related to this resolution, of course, although the two are, at least in my view, fundamentally separate.]
If we burn the defence papers, maybe the journalists will go away. On a private estate in the middle of the night.
In 1988. Without quite letting the residents know. Only Voltrovian protagonist kids remember.

When Sparrows Shout (And The World Goes To War)
An idea (RP; very much unfinished)

Voltrovia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Voltrovia » Sun May 11, 2014 10:30 am

Mousebumples wrote:Only got a quick moment here, but .... Category and Strength?

Probably Advancement of Industry (not quite sure about that) and Mild.
If we burn the defence papers, maybe the journalists will go away. On a private estate in the middle of the night.
In 1988. Without quite letting the residents know. Only Voltrovian protagonist kids remember.

Voltrovia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Voltrovia » Sun May 11, 2014 10:34 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Finally, an attempt at international air travel regulation that doesn't force us to open our borders! I like this. In addition to ambassador Fungschlammer's comments-were you promoted from Gnomeburger then?-I would remove clause IX. You cannot enforce the spirit of the law here, just the letter of the law. All you're doing is wasting precious space better put to closing potential loopholes. Creative compliance is a questionable tradition too vigorously adhered to in the WA for such a clause to be effective.

"I'll be keeping an eye on this, and will have a more detailed review at a later time."

Edgar Talistern rose to give a short reply. "Our only real concern would be if a nation unwilling to comply were to classify the entirety of its aircraft as being under military jurisdiction, or use some other absurd mechanism to prevent compliance. Your points are noted with gratitude however and I can announce that this section of the proposal is under review.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sun May 11, 2014 10:39 am

Voltrovia wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:Only got a quick moment here, but .... Category and Strength?

OOC: Sorry to be a pain, but no such animal. In Advancement of Industry, your choices are Labor Deregulation, Environmental Regulation, Protective Tariffs, or Tort Reform. This doesn't really seem to be any of them.

The recent fashion has been to put regulatory proposals in Moral Decency, but this one doesn't really fit that either. I would suggest seeing whether you can add a clause similar to International Transport Safety, promoting trade and business, and that way you could use Free Trade.

Voltrovia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Voltrovia » Sun May 11, 2014 10:42 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:
Voltrovia wrote:

OOC: Sorry to be a pain, but no such animal. In Advancement of Industry, your choices are Labor Deregulation, Environmental Regulation, Protective Tariffs, or Tort Reform. This doesn't really seem to be any of them.

The recent fashion has been to put regulatory proposals in Moral Decency, but this one doesn't really fit that either. I would suggest seeing whether you can add a clause similar to International Transport Safety, promoting trade and business, and that way you could use Free Trade.

[OOC: I could go for International Security or simply affirm support for world trade, etc.]
Last edited by Voltrovia on Sun May 11, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sun May 11, 2014 10:43 am

OOC: Sure. I wouldn't sweat it too much for now as this is an otherwise an interesting proposal, but it's something to keep in mind as you go on.

ALMF
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby ALMF » Sun May 11, 2014 10:58 am

This resolution seems to be fixated on Industrial age technology. I don't see how it wold work in a space age civlition like ours.
a left social libertarian (all on a scale 0-10 with a direction: 0 centrist 10 extreme)
Left over right: 5.99
Libertarian over authoritarian: 4.2,
non-interventionist over neo-con: 5.14
Cultural liberal over cultural conservative: 7.6

You are a cosmopolitan Social Democrat. 16 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 5 percent are more extremist than you.

Voltrovia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Voltrovia » Sun May 11, 2014 11:09 am

ALMF wrote:This resolution seems to be fixated on Industrial age technology. I don't see how it wold work in a space age civlition like ours.

Legate Talistern, addressing the multitude of confused, muttering delegates, spoke as thus, "Apparently something was lost in translation over the main intercom system. I'm told that the technical office would like for the delegation of the ALMF to repeat its statement."
Last edited by Voltrovia on Sun May 11, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voltrovia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Voltrovia » Sun May 11, 2014 2:25 pm

[OOC: Critical changes have been made. IX. has been replaced with V.(iii), the effectiveness of which I am unsure of. I have also settled on International Security as the category and cleared up a few grammatical errors.]
Last edited by Voltrovia on Mon May 12, 2014 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun May 11, 2014 3:43 pm

The Dark Star Republic wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:...to ambassador Fungschlammer's comments-were you promoted from Gnomeburger then?...

OOC: It's a post specifically marked as OOC. Is the roleplay culture of the WA really so degraded that people can't even recognise that? I'll bold it in future.

Back to the proposal: one other important issue is category. Regulatory proposals are difficult because there isn't really a category for pure regulation.

OOC: Well, Jesus Christ, sorry for the mistake. I was reading on my iPhone and missed it.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Voltrovia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Voltrovia » Tue May 13, 2014 12:22 pm

[OOC: Further minor changes implemented. Are there any horrific and/or glaring errors which have gone unnoticed? :) ]
Last edited by Voltrovia on Tue May 13, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Tue May 13, 2014 12:38 pm

OOC: Your definitions are excessive. You don't need to define aircraft and you definitely don't need to define member state. In fact, I don't think you need to define any of the terms you have, except for a clearer, more delineated definition of airspace.

Also, directly citing Resolution #34 is not allowed. There's an easy way around that, though, by instead citing the ITSC.

On the resolution text...

IC:

Inky blinks owlishly at the wall of text in the middle of the document before commenting.

"I am not entirely sure (iii) is legal; it seems to verge on amending International Transport Safety.

"(v) seems unduly restrictive. Not allowing a plane to emergency land because it doesn't pose a risk to national and international security is an excessive burden.

"I don't understand what the 'different spheres' are in (vi).

"In general, I am sceptical as to the value of requiring international registration to this level. Might it be easier to have the IARB simply serve to accredit the national boards, and then trust that their regulatory procedures are satisfactory? If the WA had a registry of every manufacturer's certificate of every civilian aircraft in operation, how would that actually make air travel safer?"

~ former Ambassador to the WA Inky Fungschlammer

Voltrovia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Voltrovia » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:04 pm

Legate Talistern, having checked the Aerospace Regulation Charter's latest draft for grammatical errors [see changelog], sat down heavily in a chair in the corner of the committee room where the debate over the Voltrovian submission had been going. The recent flurry of proposals to reach the WA had caused the initial interest in his bill to seemingly evapourate, but he was confident that this small lull wouldn't lead to permanent closure.

With that somewhat morbid thought, Talistern affixed his name to the dotted line with Signature written at its side inside the stamped box entitled Authorised Draft, left the pile of papers he had been carrying on his desk and went to go talk to his superiors in Maltrovis over a satellite link.
Last edited by Voltrovia on Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Percussionland
Envoy

Founded: Apr 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Percussionland » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:41 pm

This is a good proposal, but my only concern is the word count, and new WA members not being able to make sense of all of the technical terms, and for that reason not vote for it.
-From the Desk of Keith Starr, Percussionland Ambassador To the World Assembly

Percussionland President: Ringo Bonham
Vice President: Ronnie Watts
Chairman of The Senate: John Moon
Chairman of The Armed Forces: Charlie Wood

Voltrovia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Voltrovia » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:43 pm

Percussionland wrote:This is a good proposal, but my only concern is the word count, and new WA members not being able to make sense of all of the technical terms, and for that reason not vote for it.

Are the necessary terms not explained in VI.?
Last edited by Voltrovia on Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Percussionland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Percussionland » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:48 pm

Yes, but still, new nations have been known to confuse almost every proposal they encounter. I wouldn't worry though, there are enough experienced WA members who will understand it to get a majority.

Voltrovia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Voltrovia » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:53 pm

Percussionland wrote:Yes, but still, new nations have been known to confuse almost every proposal they encounter. I wouldn't worry though, there are enough experienced WA members who will understand it to get a majority.

A dedicated piece of aerospace legislation is something which people have been trying to pass for some time only to be halted over sovereignty issues and the like.

The proposal should hopefully stand quite a good chance of passing, if I tighten it up, run a good campaign and get enough support.
Last edited by Voltrovia on Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Percussionland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Percussionland » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:06 pm

Well, I would approve it if you were to submit it.

Voltrovia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Voltrovia » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:21 pm

Percussionland wrote:Well, I would approve it if you were to submit it.

Thanks for your support!
Last edited by Voltrovia on Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:37 pm

Percussionland wrote:Yes, but still, new nations have been known to confuse almost every proposal they encounter. I wouldn't worry though, there are enough experienced WA members who will understand it to get a majority.

"You clearly have no idea how the voting parties of the WA work if you honestly believe that. The voters are notoriously lemming-like in their pattern, and there is a distressing percentage that votes based on title and not content. Certainly more then the experienced WA delegations you find in these debate halls."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly