NATION

PASSWORD

WA Proposal Regulations Question

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Maoist People
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

WA Proposal Regulations Question

Postby Maoist People » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:35 pm

Can I submit a proposal to make the WA require more or less than a majority to pass a resolution?

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:39 pm

Maoist People wrote:Can I submit a proposal to make the WA require more or less than a majority to pass a resolution?
No.

Edit: Well, you can submit it. But will it be struck down for being illegal for metagaming violations? Yup.
Last edited by Hirota on Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:41 pm

Maoist People wrote:Can I submit a proposal to make the WA require more or less than a majority to pass a resolution?

OOC: Maybe. The WA rules are pretty fluid. It was long gospel that WA proposals couldn't be deleted once they went to vote, but now, apparently, they can - not that we know anything more about this process. The rules change a lot, depending on the particular interpretation of the mods at that moment in time. So we couldn't really give you a definitive answer.

I'd strongly recommend not submitting such a proposal, though: if it is illegal - and it would appear to be so, based on the current interpretation of the "Game Mechanics" section of the proposal rules, which may or may not change - it would be deleted and probably earn your nation a warning. Too many warnings can even lead to your nation being ejected and banned from the WA. So it's wise to only submit proposals once you're assured of their legality.

Though they might be deleted anyway even having been assured of their legality. There's really no guarantees!
Last edited by The Dark Star Republic on Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mosktopia
Envoy

Founded: Oct 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mosktopia » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:50 pm

Hirota wrote:
No.

This is the correct answer.

Lithonia wrote:Although I am sad to see this proposal doing so well, I admit that its current success is proof of the great diplomatic ability of the Cowardly Pacifists.

The Eternal Kawaii wrote:With all due respect to the ambassador from Cowardly Pacifists, this has to be one of the most pointless proposals ever brought before this assembly.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:59 pm

Proposals at-vote already require a majority to pass though the game design. As long as the "Yay" side outweighs the "Nay", a pass is guaranteed.

A proposal mandating this would violate the rules on game mechanics.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Maoist People
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Maoist People » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:00 pm

I don't see any rule that prohibits this.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:03 pm

Maoist People wrote:I don't see any rule that prohibits this.

Game Mechanics violations are attempts to change how either the World Assembly or NationStates work. Generally, these are proposals that should be threads in Technical. Anything that requires and adjustment to how the game does things, or requires a change of code falls into this category.

Examples of game mechanics violations:
  • Requiring "proper" spelling and/or grammar
  • Adjusting the number of votes needed for queue
  • Creating a universal WA currency
  • Forming a secondary WA, or forcing the current WA to dissolve
  • Requiring that nations are ejected for non-compliance with any resolution

It's the first rule listed in GA Proposal Compendium: Rules & General Advice. Requiring a majority of votes changes HOW the World Assembly works. Yes, I'm aware that at-vote proposals only pass if the proposal has the majority of votes (even by a slim margin).
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly