NATION

PASSWORD

[BACK AGAIN] Education Enhancement Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

How should I define 'technology' in my proposal ?

The knowledge of tools(mechanical, electronic or otherwise), techniques, crafts, systems and the application of such knowledge in order to solve a problem or achieve a goal, primarily for the development of society, whatever a society's current level of development. *Note: this definition doesn't JUST define the 'electronic' technology we IRL are familiar with, thus taking into account the fact that many nations are at different stages of development. What may be common to one country may be future tech to another.
81%
ANOTHER definition. If you have another definition, please comment below.
13%
NO Definition at all(i.e. keep the current draft). If you selected this, please state why in the comments.
6%

Total votes : 16

Chester Pearson
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:37 am

Why should the International Community give a rats ass about this? Seems like a national issue to me at best....
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

New Charlzilla
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Charlzilla » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:27 am

Chester Pearson wrote:Why should the International Community give a rats ass about this? Seems like a national issue to me at best....

Well, everything IN GA can be seen as either an international issue or a national issue, do you not agree with me? You are probably a NatSov. I'm an IntFed.

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:39 am

New Charlzilla wrote:
Chester Pearson wrote:Why should the International Community give a rats ass about this? Seems like a national issue to me at best....

Well, everything IN GA can be seen as either an international issue or a national issue, do you not agree with me? You are probably a NatSov. I'm an IntFed.

I don't agree with Chester, but I don't agree with the act itself. Given that WA is essentially a tech flux point (with nations RPing MT, PMT or FT or whatever), technology may not be readily available in some of these tech or not existent at all.

The lack of thought into the differing systems that exist in NS, and the insistence on implementing such a policy is quite shocking indeed.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

New Charlzilla
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Charlzilla » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:33 am

Elke and Elba wrote:
New Charlzilla wrote:

I don't agree with Chester, but I don't agree with the act itself. Given that WA is essentially a tech flux point (with nations RPing MT, PMT or FT or whatever), technology may not be readily available in some of these tech or not existent at all.

The lack of thought into the differing systems that exist in NS, and the insistence on implementing such a policy is quite shocking indeed.

Thanks for your comments :) However, what do these terms mean? Sry, I'm quite a noob :P

Terms in question:
tech flux
MT
PMT
FT

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:46 am

OOC: They refer to "tech levels": Modern Tech, Post Modern Tech, Future Tech. Sometimes "Modern Tech + 1", "Past Tech", "Fantasy Tech", and others, are also used.

Essentially, it's how you RP your nation. Do your armed forces have tanks and planes, or railguns and superdreadnoughts, or starfighters and ion cannons (or muskets and flintlock pistols, or, in the case of Glog, stone spears)?

Some people are insistent that the WA have to cater to nations at different "tech levels".

Elke and Elba
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:27 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:OOC: They refer to "tech levels": Modern Tech, Post Modern Tech, Future Tech. Sometimes "Modern Tech + 1", "Past Tech", "Fantasy Tech", and others, are also used.

Essentially, it's how you RP your nation. Do your armed forces have tanks and planes, or railguns and superdreadnoughts, or starfighters and ion cannons (or muskets and flintlock pistols, or, in the case of Glog, stone spears)?

Some people are insistent that the WA have to cater to nations at different "tech levels".

OOC: I'm not insistent - but well, the whole game is about RPing, no...? As far as I'd like technology forced in education - I don't really want other nations to catch up with our education levels. :P Not to mention people who would like to live life the Flintstones' way. ;)
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:37 am

Elke and Elba wrote:
The Dark Star Republic wrote:OOC: They refer to "tech levels": Modern Tech, Post Modern Tech, Future Tech. Sometimes "Modern Tech + 1", "Past Tech", "Fantasy Tech", and others, are also used.

OOC: I'm not insistent - but well, the whole game is about RPing, no...? As far as I'd like technology forced in education - I don't really want other nations to catch up with our education levels. :P Not to mention people who would like to live life the Flintstones' way. ;)

OOC: I won't hijack this thread, but briefly, while I accept we shouldn't force RP conceptions on people or ban people from playing a certain way, I think some people take things way too far, and it's a shame when good legislation gets shot down.

To make it relevant to this proposal, though, I'm not sure I see the problem. The loose definition of technology here actually makes it more appropriate, given the "state of flux" you contend exists (though in fact, the vast majority of WA resolutions are written with MT in mind). If it were specifically talking about computers and phones, I'd agree, but as it stands, a PT nation including steam mechanics in their curriculum and an FT nation investing in quantum transporter technology education subsidies both seem to be in compliance. So, I actually don't see a tech level problem.

Point Breeze
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Point Breeze » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:58 pm

The Dark Star Republic wrote:
Elke and Elba wrote:

OOC: I won't hijack this thread, but briefly, while I accept we shouldn't force RP conceptions on people or ban people from playing a certain way, I think some people take things way too far, and it's a shame when good legislation gets shot down.

To make it relevant to this proposal, though, I'm not sure I see the problem. The loose definition of technology here actually makes it more appropriate, given the "state of flux" you contend exists (though in fact, the vast majority of WA resolutions are written with MT in mind). If it were specifically talking about computers and phones, I'd agree, but as it stands, a PT nation including steam mechanics in their curriculum and an FT nation investing in quantum transporter technology education subsidies both seem to be in compliance. So, I actually don't see a tech level problem.

OOC: I agree, I think the definition of "technology" used here is very inclusive, and can be applied across all the tech levels.
Thane of WA Affairs for Wintreath

New Charlzilla
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Charlzilla » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:03 pm

The Dark Star Republic wrote:To make it relevant to this proposal, though, I'm not sure I see the problem. The loose definition of technology here actually makes it more appropriate, given the "state of flux" you contend exists (though in fact, the vast majority of WA resolutions are written with MT in mind). If it were specifically talking about computers and phones, I'd agree, but as it stands, a PT nation including steam mechanics in their curriculum and an FT nation investing in quantum transporter technology education subsidies both seem to be in compliance. So, I actually don't see a tech level problem.

Point Breeze wrote:OOC: I agree, I think the definition of "technology" used here is very inclusive, and can be applied across all the tech levels.

I assume both of you are talking about the definition I stated in my poll, yes?

Point Breeze
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Point Breeze » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:55 pm

New Charlzilla wrote:
The Dark Star Republic wrote:To make it relevant to this proposal, though, I'm not sure I see the problem. The loose definition of technology here actually makes it more appropriate, given the "state of flux" you contend exists (though in fact, the vast majority of WA resolutions are written with MT in mind). If it were specifically talking about computers and phones, I'd agree, but as it stands, a PT nation including steam mechanics in their curriculum and an FT nation investing in quantum transporter technology education subsidies both seem to be in compliance. So, I actually don't see a tech level problem.

Point Breeze wrote:OOC: I agree, I think the definition of "technology" used here is very inclusive, and can be applied across all the tech levels.

To be honest, I think the resolution is fine without a definition (I incorrectly assumed there was one in the draft already). I also think the definition in the poll would work as well, minus the "whatever the culture's level of development."

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:33 pm

FTR: I don't see this as something to be mandated at the international level.
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255
IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

New Charlzilla
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Charlzilla » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:53 pm

Moronist Decisions wrote:FTR: I don't see this as something to be mandated at the international level.

Well you're called 'Moronist Decisions' sooo....

New Charlzilla
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Charlzilla » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:44 am

Point Breeze wrote:
New Charlzilla wrote:

To be honest, I think the resolution is fine without a definition (I incorrectly assumed there was one in the draft already). I also think the definition in the poll would work as well, minus the "whatever the culture's level of development."

Yep, I'm gonna go ahead with the definition in the poll, minus the part you mentioned. The draft's already been edited.

Elke and Elba
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:12 am

New Charlzilla wrote:
Moronist Decisions wrote:FTR: I don't see this as something to be mandated at the international level.

I clap for you for offending a delegate which has 154 votes at his will... (You can think either way you want to)

But no. I still don't see why the hell you need to add Technology to Education, no matter what. Education fits the purpose and needs of each country.

OOC: And to emphasise it, I suggest you read "A Prairie Home, Abandoned" on NYT. The mother didn't know how to sew and yet was able to make stuff that she wouldn't need like Madeira cakes despite not having an oven (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/10/magaz ... .html?_r=0)

The point is, why fix it? I could foresee people in Flintstone-land learning how to operate a Spinning Jenny when probably the most important thing for them is to learn how to cook. Because of this silly act.

Point Breeze
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Point Breeze » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:34 am

Elke and Elba wrote:
New Charlzilla wrote:

I clap for you for offending a delegate which has 154 votes at his will... (You can think either way you want to)

But no. I still don't see why the hell you need to add Technology to Education, no matter what. Education fits the purpose and needs of each country.

OOC: And to emphasise it, I suggest you read "A Prairie Home, Abandoned" on NYT. The mother didn't know how to sew and yet was able to make stuff that she wouldn't need like Madeira cakes despite not having an oven (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/10/magaz ... .html?_r=0)

The point is, why fix it? I could foresee people in Flintstone-land learning how to operate a Spinning Jenny when probably the most important thing for them is to learn how to cook. Because of this silly act.

OOC: You're right, primitive cultures should be left to wallow in their stupidity, banging rocks together while the rest of us explore space. Good idea.

In all seriousness, this proposal is fluid enough to apply reasonably to all tech levels. It's not going to give electricity to cavemen, or FTL travel to 1930's Britain. It allows each nation to decide (OOC: RP-wise) how far they want their nations to advance technologically. It's not going to force players to advance to the next tech level.

New Charlzilla
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Charlzilla » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:27 pm

Elke and Elba wrote:I clap for you for offending a delegate which has 154 votes at his will... (You can think either way you want to)

I don't care who he is. I treat everybody equally. And I'm merely having a little chuckle at his name.

Chester Pearson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:15 pm

New Charlzilla wrote:
Elke and Elba wrote:I clap for you for offending a delegate which has 154 votes at his will... (You can think either way you want to)

I don't care who he is. I treat everybody equally. And I'm merely having a little chuckle at his name.

Offend enough big delegates and your proposal is sunk out of the gates.... If you don't believe me, just ask the Ambassador from New Molsona....
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,

Point Breeze
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Point Breeze » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:56 pm

Chester Pearson wrote:
New Charlzilla wrote:

Offend enough big delegates and your proposal is sunk out of the gates.... If you don't believe me, just ask the Ambassador from New Molsona....

There were many problems with NM's proposal, his attitude being the chief one, IMHO.

Chester Pearson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:06 pm

Point Breeze wrote:
Chester Pearson wrote:

his attitude being the chief one, IMHO.

Exactly my point.... And if I may be so blunt? Did you not receive a ban after being told multiple times to cool it? Seems an awful like a pot and kettle situation if you ask me....
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,

Point Breeze
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Point Breeze » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:31 pm

Chester Pearson wrote:
Point Breeze wrote:
his attitude being the chief one, IMHO.

Exactly my point.... And if I may be so blunt? Did you not receive a ban after being told multiple times to cool it? Seems an awful like a pot and kettle situation if you ask me....

You might be mistaken - I was never banned as a result of actions in that discussion.

Chester Pearson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:35 pm

Point Breeze wrote:
Chester Pearson wrote:

You might be mistaken - I was never banned as a result of actions in that discussion.

My apologies, that was directed at Charlzilla....
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,

New Charlzilla
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Charlzilla » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:05 am

Chester Pearson wrote:
Point Breeze wrote:

My apologies, that was directed at Charlzilla....

Then you should have made yourself clearer. He was the one who last posted and you even quoted him, so it's obvious that he would think that it was directed at him.

Anyways, the ban was for a totally different reason. It was for spamming not for offending anyone. And as I see it, I didn't offend anyone here. I merely listed a fact.
Last edited by New Charlzilla on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:18 am

New Charlzilla wrote:

Praytell, why is this an international issue then? So far, you seem to offer snark to those who disagree with you without offering substance to back your claim up.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Point Breeze
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Point Breeze » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:19 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
New Charlzilla wrote:

Praytell, why is this an international issue then? So far, you seem to offer snark to those who disagree with you without offering substance to back your claim up.

If I may,

I believe this to be an international issue because the World Assembly has previously taken a stance on issues that can reasonably be decided on a national level, but can be made more inclusive, more powerfully, and generally benefiting more people if decided at the international level. I believe this to be one of those issues. This is, of course, an opinion, and the WA will either accept it or reject it should this come to a vote.

New Charlzilla
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Charlzilla » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:58 pm

Point Breeze wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:

If I may,

I believe this to be an international issue because the World Assembly has previously taken a stance on issues that can reasonably be decided on a national level, but can be made more inclusive, more powerfully, and generally benefiting more people if decided at the international level. I believe this to be one of those issues. This is, of course, an opinion, and the WA will either accept it or reject it should this come to a vote.

YES! Exactly what I feel.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly