NATION

PASSWORD

[RE-DRAFT] Agricultural Security Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Ambibia
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

[RE-DRAFT] Agricultural Security Act

Postby Ambibia » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:56 am

After some slight malfunctions in the last discussion thread for this proposal, I found it best we just start fresh again in more polite manner (including myself). I have made various adjustments to the previous draft in hoping this will eventually narrow down the elimination process of ins and outs. so here you go:

Agricultural Security Act
A resolution to develop industry around the world.

Category: Advancement of Industry

Area of Effect: Protective Tariffs

Proposed by: Ambibia

Description: RECOGNIZING that agriculture plays a crucial role in addressing the needs of a global population, especially in developing countries, and stressing that sustainable agricultural development approaches are essential to achieving enhanced food security in an environmentally sustainable way,

RECOGNIZING FURTHER the important role of agriculture in developing countries, and their knowledge and practices in the preservation/conservation and sustainable use of new and traditional crops for biodiversity of future generations as a contribution to the goal of international food security, as well as in the implementation of goals in fields such as employment, social integration, regional/rural development, and environmental protection,

ACKNOWLEDGING the role of small and large sector agriculture to help member nations in promoting the use of sustainable agricultural technology and the production of foods and crops,

UNDERLINING the importance of the preservation of the global agriculture industry as well as a natural resource base for food security,

STRESSING the importance of advancing researching and diversifying crops and seed systems as well as supporting the establishment of sustainable agricultural systems and practices, such as conservation agriculture and pest management to make agriculture more resilient and to make crops and farm animals more tolerant in a manner consistent with national regulations and past
international agreements, hereby,

• STATES that member nations have may develop farmland according to their socio-economic needs, in keeping with past sustainable development policies; and that specific financial resources should be provided to develop programs that encourage economic and social substitution policies for agricultural needs,

• ENCOURAGES international/national efforts to strengthen agricultural capacity, especially their smallholder farmers, in order to enhance the productivity and nutritional quality of foods to promote sustainable practices in pre and post-harvest activities, and to enhance food security and nutrition-related policies,

• FURTHER ENCOURAGES member nations to develop partnerships to support services for the agricultural industry, including the training of new farmers, infrastructure and extension services, and calls for efforts by all stakeholders to include smallholder farmers in decisions about making appropriate sustainable agricultural technologies and practices available and affordable to them,

• LIMITS the uncontrolled imports of industrial monoculture agriculture products to all member nations,

• ENCOURAGES the use of non-toxic pesticides in order to protect food security while at the same time minimizing harmful affects to both local and worldwide environments,

HEREBY CREATES the World Assembly Agricultural Research Fund (WAARF) to direct international efforts to advance agriculture, combat world hunger, research new ways in which to successfully farm through technology such as helping to train new farmers, micro-invest to enable start-up agriculture operations for lesser-income individuals, and act as a neutral forum where all nations meet to negotiate agreements and contract agricultural policy.

WELCOMES the further advancement and development on the global agricultural industry.
Last edited by Ambibia on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
15 year-old male Democrat from South Carolina, USA. Presbyterian. Currently enrolled in boarding school in Virginia.
Economic Left/Right: -4.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.38
"There was never a good war, or a bad peace" -Benjamin Franklin
"We seldom repent of having eaten too little"-Thomas Jefferson
"There are many ways of moving foward, but only one way of standing still"-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Saveyou Island
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Saveyou Island » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:01 am

You might wanna replace "Welcomes" And "Creates" with Welcoming and Creating.
I'll write more on this soon.
Ambassador Jack Fort, author of GA#264
Anything I posted before 2016 is stupid and should be ignored. That partially includes GA 264.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:02 am

Ambibia wrote:P.S. the Mandates sub-clause is new, I needed something to make this fit under environmental deregulation and it was a lazy way of just cramming something in, I ask for help with this specifically.

And herein lies your problem. You don't add just one statement to make it fit into a new category, you must write the proposal into the category, not try to ram it into one as an afterthought.

My advice? Scrap and rewrite. And completely ignore the sources you've still copped several lines of text from, though the plagiarization isn't quite as obvious as in the first attempt.

Saveyou Island wrote:You might wanna replace "Welcomes" And "Creates" with Welcoming and Creating.

Actually, as those are within the mandates, "welcomes" and "creates" are correct.

OOC: Also, ARF, anyone? :lol2:
Last edited by Araraukar on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Saveyou Island
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saveyou Island » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:06 am

Ambibia wrote:After some slight malfunctions in the last discussion thread for this proposal, I found it best we just start fresh again in more polite manner (including myself). I have made various adjustments to the previous draft in hoping this will eventually narrow down the elimination process of ins and outs. so here you go:

Area of Effect: Environmental Deregulation

RECOGNIZING
that agriculture plays a crucial role in addressing the needs of a global population, especially in developing countries, and stressing that integrated and sustainable agriculture and rural development approaches are therefore essential to achieving enhanced food security in an environmentally sustainable way.

RECOGNIZING FURTHER the important role of farmers and farming communities in developing countries, and their knowledge and practices in the preservation, conservation, and sustainable use of traditional crops and biodiversity for present and future generations as a contribution to the achievement of international food security, as well as in the implementation of development goals in such fields as employment, social integration, regional and rural development, and environmental protection.

ACKNOWLEDGING the role and work of small and large sector agriculture in furthering progress in Member Nations, in promoting the use of sustainable agricultural technology and the production of foods and crops.

STRESSING the importance of the preservation of the farmer’s working rights as well as a natural resource base for food security.

• UNDERLINES the importance of advancing research in improving and diversifying crop varieties and seed systems as well as supporting the establishment of sustainable agricultural systems and management practices, such as conservation agriculture and integrated pest management, in order to make agriculture more resilient and, in particular, to make crops and farm animals, including livestock, more tolerant to diseases, pests and environmental stresses, including drought and climate change, in a manner consistent with national regulations and relevant international agreements.

• ENCOURAGES international and national efforts to strengthen agricultural capacity, especially their smallholder farmers, in order to enhance the productivity and nutritional quality of food and crops, to promote sustainable practices in pre-harvest and post-harvest agricultural activities, and to enhance food security and nutrition-related policies that take into consideration the specific needs of the people.

• FURTHER ENCOURAGES Member Nations to develop partnerships to support financial and market services, including training of farmers, infrastructure and extension services, and calls for further efforts by all stakeholders to include smallholder farmers and planning decisions about making appropriate sustainable agricultural technologies and practices available and affordable to them.

• FURTHER UNDERLINES the role of agricultural technology, agricultural research and technology transfer, as well as the sharing of knowledge and practices to other farmers, in furthering sustainable development, calls upon Member Nations to support sustainable agricultural research and development, and in this regard calls for continued support to international agricultural research systems to be able for use by farmers.

• MANDATES that in order for the further advancement of agriculture to commence, regulation barriers that slow agricultural progression in areas such as research and land development must be rendered void.

CREATES the Agricultural Research Fund (ARF) in order to direct international efforts to not only advance agriculture, but combat world hunger, research new ways in which to successfully farm through technology, help train new farmers, and to act as a neutral forum where all nations meet as equals to negotiate agreements and debate agricultural policy.

WELCOMES the further advancement on agricultural technology and development for farmers.

[b]P.S. the Mandates sub-clause is new, I needed something to make this fit under environmental deregulation and it was a lazy way of just cramming something in, I ask for help with this specifically.[/b]

Emphasis on that last line.
As said above, you need to make this fit into the category. Often, a single clause alone will not help. Scrap, rewrite and repeat until you've managed to fit it in.
Anything I posted before 2016 is stupid and should be ignored. That partially includes GA 264.

Saveyou Island
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saveyou Island » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:07 am

Araraukar wrote:
Ambibia wrote:P.S. the Mandates sub-clause is new, I needed something to make this fit under environmental deregulation and it was a lazy way of just cramming something in, I ask for help with this specifically.

And herein lies your problem. You don't add just one statement to make it fit into a new category, you must write the proposal into the category, not try to ram it into one as an afterthought.

My advice? Scrap and rewrite. And completely ignore the sources you've still copped several lines of text from, though the plagiarization isn't quite as obvious as in the first attempt.

Saveyou Island wrote:You might wanna replace "Welcomes" And "Creates" with Welcoming and Creating.

Actually, as those are within the mandates, "welcomes" and "creates" are correct.

Ah, I see your point.
Last edited by Saveyou Island on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dellin
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dellin » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:07 am

Also, again, this is way too large of a laundry list still. You are trying to cover everything that ever had to do with agricultural, and not doing any specific thing very effectively.

That seems to be the major problem with your proposal attempts. I say this trying to help. They are huge word walls that try to do everything, and be end-all-be-all one-size-fits-all monsters. You need to focus on one, two, even three parts, and try to lay them out more effectively in a way that actually goes through the process of what you think would help agriculture, while keeping category in mind.
Interim WA Ambassador: Sarith Judea, Protector of Dellin

Saveyou Island
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saveyou Island » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:09 am

And may I add, this does nearly nothing, and I don't think it even touches an international issue.

Ambibia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ambibia » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:00 am

Dellin wrote:Also, again, this is way too large of a laundry list still. You are trying to cover everything that ever had to do with agricultural, and not doing any specific thing very effectively.

That seems to be the major problem with your proposal attempts. I say this trying to help. They are huge word walls that try to do everything, and be end-all-be-all one-size-fits-all monsters. You need to focus on one, two, even three parts, and try to lay them out more effectively in a way that actually goes through the process of what you think would help agriculture, while keeping category in mind.

any advice on what I could change directly? come on, gimme something I see your point
15 year-old male Democrat from South Carolina, USA. Presbyterian. Currently enrolled in boarding school in Virginia.
"There are many ways of moving foward, but only one way of standing still"-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:50 pm

Ambibia wrote:any advice on what I could change directly? come on, gimme something I see your point

Ok.

Ambibia wrote:Category: Advancement of Industry
Area of Effect: Environmental Deregulation
Doesn't fit as the text currently reads.

RECOGNIZING that agriculture plays a crucial role in addressing the needs of a global population, especially in developing countries, and stressing that integrated and sustainable agriculture and rural development approaches are therefore essential to achieving enhanced food security in an environmentally sustainable way.

RECOGNIZING FURTHER the important role of farmers and farming communities in developing countries, and their knowledge and practices in the preservation, conservation, and sustainable use of traditional crops and biodiversity for present and future generations as a contribution to the achievement of international food security, as well as in the implementation of development goals in such fields as employment, social integration, regional and rural development, and environmental protection.

ACKNOWLEDGING the role and work of small and large sector agriculture in furthering progress in Member Nations, in promoting the use of sustainable agricultural technology and the production of foods and crops.

STRESSING the importance of the preservation of the farmer’s working rights as well as a natural resource base for food security.
You might actually try something new along these lines, but then you'd likely have to change category/area of effect/strength.

• UNDERLINES the importance of advancing research in improving and diversifying crop varieties and seed systems as well as supporting the establishment of sustainable agricultural systems and management practices, such as conservation agriculture and integrated pest management, in order to make agriculture more resilient and, in particular, to make crops and farm animals, including livestock, more tolerant to diseases, pests and environmental stresses, including drought and climate change, in a manner consistent with national regulations and relevant international agreements.
  • ENCOURAGES international and national efforts to strengthen agricultural capacity, especially their smallholder farmers, in order to enhance the productivity and nutritional quality of food and crops, to promote sustainable practices in pre-harvest and post-harvest agricultural activities, and to enhance food security and nutrition-related policies that take into consideration the specific needs of the people.
  • FURTHER ENCOURAGES Member Nations to develop partnerships to support financial and market services, including training of farmers, infrastructure and extension services, and calls for further efforts by all stakeholders to include smallholder farmers and planning decisions about making appropriate sustainable agricultural technologies and practices available and affordable to them.
  • FURTHER UNDERLINES the role of agricultural technology, agricultural research and technology transfer, as well as the sharing of knowledge and practices to other farmers, in furthering sustainable development, calls upon Member Nations to support sustainable agricultural research and development, and in this regard calls for continued support to international agricultural research systems to be able for use by farmers.

MANDATES that in order for the further advancement of agriculture to commence, regulation barriers that slow agricultural progression in areas such as research and land development must be rendered void.
Or you could try to start from here, but considering how much you'd need to tip-toe around existing resolutions, I fear it might be beyond your current capabilities.

CREATES the Agricultural Research Fund (ARF) in order to direct international efforts to not only advance agriculture, but combat world hunger, research new ways in which to successfully farm through technology, help train new farmers, and to act as a neutral forum where all nations meet as equals to negotiate agreements and debate agricultural policy.

WELCOMES the further advancement on agricultural technology and development for farmers.

You're welcome.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Ambibia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ambibia » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:27 pm

Araraukar wrote:
You might actually try something new along these lines, but then you'd likely have to change category/area of effect/strength.

so I guess you're saying this should be more centered on labor deregulation? not environmental?
Last edited by Ambibia on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:46 am

Ambibia wrote:
Araraukar wrote:

so I guess you're saying this should be more centered on labor deregulation? not environmental?

No, I'm saying scrap the whole thing except for the bit I quoted, and start anew with that idea. If you want to go for that idea. Otherwise scrap the whole idea, period.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:12 am

Ambibia wrote:MANDATES that in order for the further advancement of agriculture to commence, regulation barriers that slow agricultural progression in areas such as research and land development must be rendered void

Either contradiction of existing legislation or attempting to repeal (more than one resolution?) without using the 'Repeal' function?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Ambibia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ambibia » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:05 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Ambibia wrote:MANDATES that in order for the further advancement of agriculture to commence, regulation barriers that slow agricultural progression in areas such as research and land development must be rendered void

Either contradiction of existing legislation or attempting to repeal (more than one resolution?) without using the 'Repeal' function?

I know, I know, it's bad

Ardchoille
Retired Moderator

Founded: Apr 18, 2004
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ardchoille » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:52 pm

Not any sort of legality ruling, just info:
  • If you are unhappy with your submitted proposal, you can ask mods to remove it without penalty, either by Getting Help Request or in the Moderation forum.
  • You can use the "Search this topic" function at the top left of this thread to hunt with keywords (eg, "trade", "economics", "labor", depending on your focus) for a broad idea of any Resolutions you should take into account.
Ideological Bulwark #35
The more scandalous charges were suppressed; the vicar of Christ was accused only of piracy, rape, sodomy, murder and incest. -- Edward Gibbon on the schismatic Pope John XXIII (1410–1415).

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:16 am

Ardchoille wrote:Not any sort of legality ruling, just info:
  • If you are unhappy with your submitted proposal, you can ask mods to remove it without penalty, either by Getting Help Request or in the Moderation forum.
  • You can use the "Search this topic" function at the top left of this thread to hunt with keywords (eg, "trade", "economics", "labor", depending on your focus) for a broad idea of any Resolutions you should take into account.

Ard, the last comment was made... a year ago.

Anyway, filing GHR soon.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

The Eternal Kawaii
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Kawaii » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:41 pm

Elke and Elba wrote:
Ardchoille wrote:Not any sort of legality ruling, just info:

Ard, the last comment was made... a year ago.

Anyway, filing GHR soon.

We second the GHR. It's unclear how this made it to quorum; as far as we can tell it has no clauses requiring nations to take any sort of action.
Learn More about The Eternal Kawaii from our Factbook!

"Aside from being illegal, it's not like Max Barry Day was that bad of a resolution." -- Glen Rhodes
"as a member of the GA elite, I don't have to take this" -- Vancouvia

Chester Pearson
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:20 pm

As the proposal in its current submitted form isn't even the one posted, here it is:

Agricultural Security Act
A resolution to develop industry around the world.

Area of Effect: Protective Tariffs

Proposed by: Ambibia

Description: RECOGNIZING that agriculture plays a crucial role in addressing the needs of a global population, especially in developing countries, and stressing that sustainable agricultural development approaches are essential to achieving enhanced food security in an environmentally sustainable way,

RECOGNIZING FURTHER the important role of agriculture in developing countries, and their knowledge and practices in the preservation/conservation and sustainable use of new and traditional crops for biodiversity of future generations as a contribution to the goal of international food security, as well as in the implementation of goals in fields such as employment, social integration, regional/rural development, and environmental protection,

ACKNOWLEDGING the role of small and large sector agriculture to help member nations in promoting the use of sustainable agricultural technology and the production of foods and crops,

UNDERLINING the importance of the preservation of the global agriculture industry as well as a natural resource base for food security,

STRESSING the importance of advancing researching and diversifying crops and seed systems as well as supporting the establishment of sustainable agricultural systems and practices, such as conservation agriculture and pest management to make agriculture more resilient and to make crops and farm animals more tolerant in a manner consistent with national regulations and past
international agreements, hereby,

• STATES that member nations have may develop farmland according to their socio-economic needs, in keeping with past sustainable development policies; and that specific financial resources should be provided to develop programs that encourage economic and social substitution policies for agricultural needs,

• ENCOURAGES international/national efforts to strengthen agricultural capacity, especially their smallholder farmers, in order to enhance the productivity and nutritional quality of foods to promote sustainable practices in pre and post-harvest activities, and to enhance food security and nutrition-related policies,

• FURTHER ENCOURAGES member nations to develop partnerships to support services for the agricultural industry, including the training of new farmers, infrastructure and extension services, and calls for efforts by all stakeholders to include smallholder farmers in decisions about making appropriate sustainable agricultural technologies and practices available and affordable to them,

• LIMITS the uncontrolled imports of industrial monoculture agriculture products to all member nations,

• ENCOURAGES the use of non-toxic pesticides in order to protect food security while at the same time minimizing harmful affects to both local and worldwide environments,

HEREBY CREATES the World Assembly Agricultural Research Fund (WAARF) to direct international efforts to advance agriculture, combat world hunger, research new ways in which to successfully farm through technology such as helping to train new farmers, micro-invest to enable start-up agriculture operations for lesser-income individuals, and act as a neutral forum where all nations meet to negotiate agreements and contract agricultural policy.

WELCOMES the further advancement and development on the global agricultural industry.
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

Chester Pearson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:22 pm

I have also filed a GHR on category violation.
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,

Ardchoille
Retired Moderator

Founded: Apr 18, 2004
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ardchoille » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:28 pm

Elke and Elba wrote:Ard, the last comment was made... a year ago.

I got caught by the same phase shift/timestorm/Weeping Angel Dark Star did. :shock:
Ideological Bulwark #35
The more scandalous charges were suppressed; the vicar of Christ was accused only of piracy, rape, sodomy, murder and incest. -- Edward Gibbon on the schismatic Pope John XXIII (1410–1415).

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:28 am

We've received the legality challenges and are finalizing our ruling. It will be posted once it's reviewed signed off by other WA mods.

For the legality ruling see next post.
Last edited by Kryozerkia on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:39 am

The Agricultural Security Act received three legality challenges with different questions. The legality challenges will be answered in a single ruling that will answer these questions:

• Does the LIMITS clause of The Agricultural Security Act contradict or duplicate the INITIATES clause of GAR#52: Food Welfare?
  • Is the explicit exclusion of the "World Assembly"/"General Assembly" without specifying who "member nations" are illegal?
  • Is there a category violation? Does The Agricultural Security Act belong in Advancement of Industry/Protective Tariffs or Free Trade?

Does the LIMITS clause of The Agricultural Security Act contradict or duplicate the INITIATES clause of GAR#52: Food Welfare?

To answer this, we must accept the following two facts:

1. Compliance with all active resolutions is mandatory for member nations.
2. GAR#52 requires member nations to strip trade controls, unless granted an exception from the ITA.

With these two facts in mind, we now examine the clauses in question. In order to process this, we need an acceptable interpretation of "uncontrolled imports". Nowhere in the proposal is "uncontrolled imports"defined. For this ruling, we accept "uncontrolled imports" as "unlimited free trade". This is based on the INITIATES clause of GAR#52 and the ITA. "Free trade" as per this ruling is restricted to products and services related to GAR#52 and the proposal.

Between the "facts" and interpretation, we can conclude there is contradiction. The INITIATES clause of GAR#52 strips away controls placed on free trade, while the proposal's LIMITS clause adds in controls. The contradiction can be removed by either: a) eliminating the "LIMITS" clause of the proposal or b) extending the ITA's jurisdiction.

Is the explicit exclusion of the "World Assembly"/"General Assembly" without specifying who "member nations" are illegal?

It is not illegal. The standard is typically reference to "member nations" or "member states". It's accepted to implicitly mean it's addressed to the World/General Assembly.

Is there a category violation? Does The Agricultural Security Act belong in Advancement of Industry/Protective Tariffs or Free Trade?

This is a grey area. Some elements fit the category while others belong elsewhere. As a whole, Agricultural Security Act dances between its current category Advancement of Industry/Protective Tariffs, Social Justice, and Free Trade.

It doesn't promote free trade except in the "HEREBY CREATES" clause. Without the clause creating the WAARFF, it switches between its current category and Social Justice. Social Justice is a possible category as Agricultural Security Act is similar to GAR#52. The issue of contradiction only exists with the LIMITS clause. Small parts of the proposal act as Social Justice, but on the whole lacks the general characteristics of a Social Justice proposal.

Let's analyze the proposal. The preamble is decorative text to frame the proposal and establish its purpose; it isn't considered in this ruling. The remaining active clauses can fit into one of three areas:

Free Trade: the clause creating WAARF. The policies of the WAARF by its nature would involve the free exchange of ideas and free trade. It does advance the agricultural industry but through international cooperation and trade, not strictly domestic efforts.

Social Justice: the first and third ENCOURAGES clauses. These have a focus on social policy and food security. These would increase the welfare of WA member nation citizens.

Advancement of Industry/Protective Tariffs: the FURTHER ENCOURAGES clause - designed to advance domestic agricultural industries - and the LIMITS clause, which by its nature limits free trade.

We recommend a moderate rewrite to ensure the proposal neatly fits into either its intended category or Social Justice, as the sole Free Trade clause can be reworded to accommodate either category.

The current version in queue has been removed. We're aware that there is a redraft. Hopefully this ruling will help with fine tuning.
Last edited by Kryozerkia on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:06 am

Thank you for the ruling.

Point Breeze
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Point Breeze » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:30 am

I love reading legality readings. You learn so much

I think the Secretariat has clearly outlined the next draft, whatever the category may be.
Thane of WA Affairs for Wintreath

Ambibia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ambibia » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:32 am

alright, I'll work on that

Chester Pearson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:34 pm

Ambibia wrote:alright, I'll work on that

Had this gone through a proper drafting stage, none of this would have been necessary. I do hope you are going to place an updated draft here, before you submit again?
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads