NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Repeal "The Right to a Lawful Divorce"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should romantic partners have the liberty to decide freely the terms of their own marital contracts?

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes : 72

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:00 pm

Walrasia wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you favor this same "freedom of choice" in all other contracts?

All contracts are breakable, and breaking them has repercussions. Divorce is no different.

According to Section 5 of the resolution, "No penalty of any kind shall be imposed on a party or parties seeking divorce."
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Walrasia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Walrasia » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:04 pm

Yes, which means you've also read sections 3 and 4. Divorce is not a free pass. It is fine how it is.

3) Legal parenthood shall never be annulled by the sole reason of a divorce. In case the divorcing parties to a marriage have children, appropriate legal systems of member states shall resolve issues of custody of and support for said children with an overriding priority of the best interests of each and every child.

4) Upon divorce proceedings, appropriate latitude shall be given in the defense of personal assets, and appropriate legal systems of member states shall determine equitable distribution of the parties’ common estate and inheritance rights.
Last edited by Walrasia on Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:10 pm

Walrasia wrote:Yes, which means you've also read sections 4 and 5. Divorce is not a free pass. It is fine how it is.

3) Legal parenthood shall never be annulled by the sole reason of a divorce. In case the divorcing parties to a marriage have children, appropriate legal systems of member states shall resolve issues of custody of and support for said children with an overriding priority of the best interests of each and every child.

4) Upon divorce proceedings, appropriate latitude shall be given in the defense of personal assets, and appropriate legal systems of member states shall determine equitable distribution of the parties’ common estate and inheritance rights.

Neither of those is really a repercussion. When any other kind of contract is broken, it is considered a civil wrong.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Walrasia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Walrasia » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:26 pm

Actually, most sensible contracts stipulate what happens in the event of them being broken. That's what those two clauses are. At no point does it say divorcees are absolved of all rights and responsibilities. As a contractor who has had to end contracts prematurely (with good reason), I can assure you it was not considered a civil wrong.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:30 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Walrasia wrote:Yes, which means you've also read sections 4 and 5. Divorce is not a free pass. It is fine how it is.

Neither of those is really a repercussion. When any other kind of contract is broken, it is considered a civil wrong.

From one of the contracts I'm in:
14. TERMINATION
You may terminate this Agreement at any time by erasing the Password and providing written notice of your termination to VeriSign at [address]; United Kingdom; Attention: Compliance Officer - Naming Services; [email].
VeriSign has the right to terminate this Agreement immediately if:
(a) an ICANN-approved change in the method of access under the Agreement or any terms and conditions of the Agreement results in a failure of its essential purpose;
(b) you or any of your Authorized Individual Users violate the terms and conditions of this Agreement; or
(c) such termination is required by law, regulation, or a change in ICANN approved policy; or
(d) your continued access to and use of the Data or that of your Authorized Individual Users would cause VeriSign to be in violation of any applicable law or regulation; or
(e) VeriSign discovers that the user information provided in Section 2 above is inaccurate in any material way and such inaccuracy is not corrected with 48 hours of VeriSign's issuance of an e-mail to the e-mail address listed in Section 2(h).

Notice that nowhere is a penalty provided for.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:12 pm

Walrasia wrote:At no point does it say divorcees are absolved of all rights and responsibilities.

Providing for the needs of one's child is a responsibility of parenthood, not marriage; and the "distribution of the parties' common estate" must occur when the spouses divorce. Note that the resolution allows either party to divorce without the consent of the other even if that other party has met all of his or her obligations under the marital contract.

Linux and the X wrote:Notice that nowhere is a penalty provided for.

Did the government dictate the terms under which that contract can be terminated?

The point of my argument is that spouses, even if they want, are not allowed to include penalties in their marital contract since Resolution 39 grants either spouse an absolute legal right to dissolve the marriage at any time whatsoever.

Also, with regard to that contract, could you imagine either suing or being sued for taking some action?

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:25 am

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:The very resolution you plan to repeal grants better individual freedom of choice than your repeal.

Would you favor this same "freedom of choice" in all other contracts?

Not all, but some. For instance, we would want freedom of choice to exit an indentured bondage contract.
Also, why should individual member states not be allowed to determine which freedom is "better"?

Why shouldn't the WA protect the right of people not to be trapped in a marriage? We'd much rather that than have some theocracy letting people trap themselves.
Surely, you know that conceptions of freedom differ among cultures.

We'd sooner have individual freedoms protected by the WA than a state free to let their own people be stupid for whatever reason they might have.

And your poll remains highly distasteful. It's worse than 'do you agree that Scotland should be an independent country?' in that ridiculous soap opera we earlier referred to.
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:42 am

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:And your poll remains highly distasteful. It's worse than 'do you agree that Scotland should be an independent country?' in that ridiculous soap opera we earlier referred to.
Typical CD emotive, hyperbolic nonsense.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:53 pm

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:We'd much rather that than have some theocracy letting people trap themselves.

. . .

We'd sooner have individual freedoms protected by the WA than a state free to let their own people be stupid for whatever reason they might have.

So, basically, you want the government to dictate the terms of people's private marital contracts because they are too stupid to make their own decisions in these sorts of matters pertaining to love, sexual intercourse, and family life?

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Walrasia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Walrasia » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:31 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:So, basically, you want the government to dictate the terms of people's private marital contracts because they are too stupid to make their own decisions in these sorts of matters pertaining to love, sexual intercourse, and family life?

No, that's what you want. What we want is for the international community to continue to prevent governments forcing their narrow-minded views on marriage onto individuals. You yourself have said that you don't think the repercussions of divorce are enough because you want there to be a penalty involved. To turn around and make this about freedom is slightly bizarre. Trying to repeal a right does not equal increasing freedom.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:04 am

Walrasia wrote:What we want is for the international community to continue to prevent governments forcing their narrow-minded views on marriage onto individuals.

This repeal would not force my views onto anyone. It would allow romantic partners the option to bind themselves to more stringent terms, thus advancing the freedom of contract. This repeal proposal would not force any couples to commit to or to stay in lifelong relationships.

You are defending a resolution that forces the General Assembly's narrow-minded views onto all couples.
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:27 am

Given that Auralia's moralistic repeal is failing, I'm bumping this legalistic repeal that I would like to submit in May or June.

Also, in a few minutes, I'll post a proposal for a replacement resolution in this forum.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Herby
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Herby » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:36 am

Actually the repeal is passing by about twelve hun--

•6 hours ago: Mousebumples withdrew vote
•5 hours ago: The Democratic Republic of Tomb withdrew vote
•5 hours ago: The Democratic Republic of Tomb AGAINST (588)

:blink:

Well, okay then.
-- Ambassador #53. From the nation of Herby. But you can call me Herby.

Herby's doors and windows are ALWAYS locked when she's in the Strangers' Bar (unless she unlocks them for you). And, she has no accelerator, a mock steering wheel, and no gear shifter. So, no joyrides.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:01 pm

Herby wrote:Actually the repeal is passing by about twelve hun--

•6 hours ago: Mousebumples withdrew vote
•5 hours ago: The Democratic Republic of Tomb withdrew vote
•5 hours ago: The Democratic Republic of Tomb AGAINST (588)

:blink:

Well, okay then.

"Yeah, I might have had some scathing things to say about this repeal as TNP's WA Minister..."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:31 pm

My region's vote changed from being 1-0 in favor last night, to 2-2, this morning. We'll see how things shape up.

(Note: I haven't voted/expressed an opinion on the regional forum.)
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Railana
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Railana » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:06 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:Given that Auralia's moralistic repeal is failing, I'm bumping this legalistic repeal that I would like to submit in May or June.

((OOC: Best of luck, CD. Hopefully you'll have more success than I had.))
Last edited by Railana on Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dominion of Railana
Also known as Auralia

"Lex naturalis voluntas Dei est."

Arach-Naga Combine
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Arach-Naga Combine » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:29 pm

These debates between humans about these "marriages" are becoming rather tiresome. Why can't you naked apes just develop culturally and embrace polyamory? No need for a complicated and conflicting legal system built up to oversee the contracting of mating relationships irrationally linked to economic and legal entanglements when each of these can be easily satisfied separately.

The argument presented in the proposal would indeed be persuasive, but it rests on entirely false premises. It attempts to equivocate a marital contract with those of employment or commerce, and should therefore have no special clauses, and yet in all the author's other pronouncements declares the uniqueness of this form of contract with some respect to "love, sex, etc." which could mean about a hundred different things if we know anything about you humans. The author further insists that this special variant of contract, higher than others due to aforementioned interpersonal connotations, should have its exit restricted on grounds diametrically opposed to those traits purported to elevate it. If it's so important for you humans to engage in this infinitely poorly-defined "love" to do so in a contract, how could you fail to accept that the loss of such "love" as unassailable grounds to terminate such a contract at will, and unconditionally?
Undisputed snuggling champions of all realities across all multiverses

Blaccakre
Attaché

Founded: Apr 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Blaccakre » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:31 am

Arach-Naga Combine wrote:These debates between humans about these "marriages" are becoming rather tiresome. Why can't you naked apes just develop culturally and embrace polyamory? No need for a complicated and conflicting legal system built up to oversee the contracting of mating relationships irrationally linked to economic and legal entanglements when each of these can be easily satisfied separately.

The argument presented in the proposal would indeed be persuasive, but it rests on entirely false premises. It attempts to equivocate a marital contract with those of employment or commerce, and should therefore have no special clauses, and yet in all the author's other pronouncements declares the uniqueness of this form of contract with some respect to "love, sex, etc." which could mean about a hundred different things if we know anything about you humans. The author further insists that this special variant of contract, higher than others due to aforementioned interpersonal connotations, should have its exit restricted on grounds diametrically opposed to those traits purported to elevate it. If it's so important for you humans to engage in this infinitely poorly-defined "love" to do so in a contract, how could you fail to accept that the loss of such "love" as unassailable grounds to terminate such a contract at will, and unconditionally?

I never thought I'd say this, but that spider snake makes a good point.

But there can be all kinds of non-"love" reasons for marriage, and it is a contractual relationship, so if folks want to contract to get married just to bang out a few kids and live in a middle-class suburban home they can't really afford, and they also want that contract to be subject to liquidated damages and a public walk of shame in the event of a breach, why not let them? That seems like something a lizard bug could get behind, right?
The Glorious, Unparalleled, Doubleplusgood Kingdom of Blaccakre
"There is no justice, only the Law."

Any effort by World Assembly Census experts to label our glorious nation as "corrupt," or to claim that we have "short average lifespans" and "ignorant citizens," shall be treated as belligerent propaganda and will result in severe reprisal.

Arach-Naga Combine
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Arach-Naga Combine » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:44 am

Blaccakre wrote:
Arach-Naga Combine wrote:These debates between humans about these "marriages" are becoming rather tiresome. Why can't you naked apes just develop culturally and embrace polyamory? No need for a complicated and conflicting legal system built up to oversee the contracting of mating relationships irrationally linked to economic and legal entanglements when each of these can be easily satisfied separately.

I never thought I'd say this, but that spider snake makes a good point.

But there can be all kinds of non-"love" reasons for marriage, and it is a contractual relationship, so if folks want to contract to get married just to bang out a few kids and live in a middle-class suburban home they can't really afford, and they also want that contract to be subject to liquidated damages and a public walk of shame in the event of a breach, why not let them? That seems like something a lizard bug could get behind, right?

Certainly. Which is why we reject this repeal attempt, because it eliminates contract rights. The previous resolution in no way prevents claims of damages incurred, but in fact enforces that right for claimants, as well as your ridiculous ideas about parenting responsibilities.

And of course the WA has no capability to legislate against such "walks of shame" as you desire, be the contract pertaining to a childish monogamous relationship or the distribution rights to a highly addictive narcotic. The right to divorce resolution in fact enforces the terms of the contract, which this repeal attempt is aimed at dissolving. The author desires to impose non-contract punishments and responsibilities on contract members, and that is not something that could be supported on any grounds of freedom that the author so erroneously purports to uphold.
Undisputed snuggling champions of all realities across all multiverses

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:15 pm

I plan to submit my repeal proposal later this week.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:32 pm

Caracasus strongly disagrees with your analogy comparing divorce and marriage to a business contract, as it is essentially a flawed one. There are many, numerous differences between a business contract that one may enter into and a personal relationship. In a personal relationship, either party must be free to end said relationship.

The notion of a no-fault divorce is vital to preserve the civil rights of individuals around the world. If it is removed it would become easy to apply strict penalties on those wishing to leave potentially abusive partners. We would not wish that to happen.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:58 pm

Caracasus wrote:Caracasus strongly disagrees with your analogy comparing divorce and marriage to a business contract, as it is essentially a flawed one.

How?

Caracasus wrote:There are many, numerous differences between a business contract that one may enter into and a personal relationship.

Will you give some examples?

Caracasus wrote:In a personal relationship, either party must be free to end said relationship.

Why? No other contracts are so toothless.

Caracasus wrote:The notion of a no-fault divorce is vital to preserve the civil rights of individuals around the world.

Whose civil rights? The right of a husband to abandon his wife who has tended to their home for years and for whom it would be difficult to reenter the workforce? The right of a wife to run away with a younger man, leaving her children and husband to fend for themselves?

Caracasus wrote:If it is removed it would become easy to apply strict penalties on those wishing to leave potentially abusive partners.

Because people are too stupid to contract their own terms? Because governments do not have mechanisms in place to stop abuse? Because a future resolution, national laws, or subnational laws will not be passed to permit divorces in cases of abuse or neglect?

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:50 pm

Well firstly, a marriage contract shares similarities with a business contract as once upon a time it essentially was. Most nations have moved beyond this particular piece of embedded inequality now, however, and one person is no longer considered property to be passed from a parent to a spouse. A marriage is a union between two people based on love, a business contract exists between two groups or individuals in the economic sphere. A marriage exists and comprises the two individuals private lives and influences every part of their existence.

As we have stated, both couples need to be able to leave said arrangement without fault - this exists to protect the rights of the individual over the rights of the moral majority.

Your claim of a single father abandoned by his wife is spurious at best. Are there no laws governing child support and maintenance?

Your claim that this will allow individuals to draw up their own marriage contracts is equally strange. YOu seem to be forgetting that in the vast majority of nations, it is the rule of law that decides upon divorce legislation and proceedings, not the individual.

EDIT: Not to mention of course that in the cases you mentioned your repeal would not effect the outcome at all; the majority of nations that have not got a no fault divorce, abandonment is usually cause enough to file for divorce.
Last edited by Caracasus on Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:04 pm

Caracasus wrote:Well firstly, a marriage contract shares similarities with a business contract as once upon a time it essentially was. Most nations have moved beyond this particular piece of embedded inequality now, however

How is it "unequal" for two individuals freely to contract the terms of their own marital union?

Caracasus wrote:and one person is no longer considered property to be passed from a parent to a spouse.

You are mistaken. From the standpoint of contract, the prospective spouses make the decision. Under Resolutions 160 and 205, it would be quite illegal for a father to contract with another man a marriage for his daughter without her consent.

Caracasus wrote:A marriage is a union between two people based on love

So, if any two people love each other, they're married? :eyebrow: Apparently, I'm a polygamist.

Caracasus wrote:a business contract exists between two groups or individuals in the economic sphere

And a marriage doesn't? Last time I checked, marriage unites the resources of the spouses and makes them financially responsible for one another. Financial disagreements are a common cause of divorce in many jurisdictions.

Caracasus wrote:A marriage exists and comprises the two individuals private lives

Wrong. Marriage is a public act. People call on their community to recognize them as united.

Caracasus wrote:and influences every part of their existence

It's naïve to think that marriage is all-encompassing. For many people, it is viewed as the most important aspect of life; but it does not necessarily touch on every part of one's existence. This is simply rhetorical fluff.

Caracasus wrote:As we have stated, both couples need to be able to leave said arrangement without fault - this exists to protect the rights of the individual over the rights of the moral majority.

The moral majority? :lol:

The marriage contract protects conjugal rights as well as the rights of children.

Caracasus wrote:Your claim of a single father abandoned by his wife is spurious at best. Are there no laws governing child support and maintenance?

Child support and maintenance are often insufficient or delayed to meet the needs of a homemaker and her children, much less to maintain their prior quality of life.

Caracasus wrote:Your claim that this will allow individuals to draw up their own marriage contracts is equally strange. YOu seem to be forgetting that in the vast majority of nations, it is the rule of law that decides upon divorce legislation and proceedings, not the individual.

Apparently, you've missed the fact that I'm planning a replacement.

Caracasus wrote:EDIT: Not to mention of course that in the cases you mentioned your repeal would not effect the outcome at all; the majority of nations that have not got a no fault divorce, abandonment is usually cause enough to file for divorce.

Restitution of conjugal rights?
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

The Two Jerseys
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Two Jerseys » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:47 pm

Comments in red.

GENERAL ASSEMBLY PROPOSAL
Repeal "The Right to a Lawful Divorce"
A resolution to repeal previously passed legislation.

Category: Repeal | Resolution: GA#39 | Proposed by: (Image) Christian Democrats

The General Assembly,

Recalling that this Assembly, in Resolution 205, Freedom of Contract, affirmed "a fundamental right to liberty, which includes the freedom to choose, think, and act as an individual,"

Further recalling that this Assembly, in that same resolution, recognized that "a person's freedom to voluntarily and willfully make agreements with others is an important part of their fundamental right to liberty,"

Recognizing that Resolution 39, the Right to a Lawful Divorce, grants a spouse unfettered license to dissolve a marriage regardless of the terms of the marital contract to which that individual earlier agreed, How is requiring a court ruling to dissolve a marriage "unfettered license"?

Believing that Resolution 39 thus infringes on the fundamental liberty of contract because it requires that divorces be made available "without let or hindrance" irrespective of the terms that the spouses contracted out of their own individual sovereignty, The resolution doesn't say that divorces will be handed out to anyone who asks for one. It says that any married person may petition for a divorce, and the court must hear that petition.

Realizing that Resolution 39 unreasonably denies individuals their fundamental right to commit themselves voluntarily to interpersonal, romantic relationships with binding (legally enforceable) terms, including lifelong unions or even unions for shorter periods of time, since any party to a marriage can dissolve the contract whenever he or she wishes with no penalty whatsoever, No, they can't dissolve a marriage "whenever they please". They have to go to court in order to obtain a divorce, not just say "I divorce you!" three times in a row.

Expressing its vehement opposition to Resolution 39, a law that unjustly intervenes in personal romantic relationships, because it violates freedom of contract and freedom of choice: the liberty to choose the terms on which one enters a marital union, Bullshit. It has nothing to do with choosing a spouse.

Convinced that romantic partners who choose to marry are perfectly capable and should be allowed to determine freely the exit clauses of their own unions without unnecessary involvement by the national or subnational government, let alone an international body, And if their marriage "contract" doesn't include an exit clause?

Seeking to resolve the irreconcilable tension between the so-called right to divorce and the fundamental right to contract, Because contracts are never dissolved ever, nope!

Repeals Resolution 39, the Right to a Lawful Divorce.

I'm sorry, but there's no way you can argue that divorce is a violation of contract law when business contracts are modified or terminated by courts on a regular basis. There's no way we could ever support a repeal based on such false arguments as these.
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly