NATION

PASSWORD

Repeal GA #204 "Nuclear Power Safety Act" (DEFEATED)

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Repeal GA #204 "Nuclear Power Safety Act" (DEFEATED)

Postby Bergnovinaia » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:37 pm

All y'all delegates, please approve here!

Repeal "Nuclear Power Safety Act"
Category: Repeal | Resolution: GA#204 | Proposed by: Bergnovinaia
Argument:
THE WORLD ASSEMBLY:

CONCERNED that the Resolution in question establishes the NESC and its duties but does not require nations to comply with its suggestions;

APPALLED at the idea that energy corporations and national nuclear energy industries may pick and choose guidelines that suit their corporation’s or nation’s needs without regards to civilian safety;

WORRIED that in order to maximize energy output and profits, corporations and national nuclear energy industries will cut corners, putting the everyday worker and civilian in harm's way from the many dangers of radiation from nuclear power;

TROUBLED that the mandate that member nations “follow adequate building designs" to construct nuclear power plant facilities may lead to corporations or national energy industries using older, more hazardous plans deemed as "adequate”;

ANXIOUS that while nations are required to "establish procedures and arrangements to maintain safety and stability", that they are not required to update these procedures on a regular basis;

FRIGHTENED that the same mandate does not give any real form of direction and thus gives corporations and national energy industries the freedom to implement potentially inefficient and non-protective safety codes;

HOPING that any future resolutions related to safety in Nuclear Power address these issues;

REPEALS GA Resolution #204.

Co-Author: [nation=short]Individuality-ness[/nation]

Comments and suggestions are welcome!
Last edited by Bergnovinaia on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:05 am, edited 11 times in total.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:39 pm

But we're giving credit to Funkadelia for giving us the bones. We'd also credit him as co-author, but if I recall correctly, only one co-author can be listed per proposal... Funk, it's yours if you want it. Just notify us.

Allie Youngblood
Last edited by Individuality-ness on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:11 pm

Support repeal. No replacement.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Funkadelia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Funkadelia » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:36 pm

It's fine, because I'm no longer in the WA anymore, anyhow. Also, you misspelled Frightened.
Funkadelia

Former Delegate of Lazarus (x3)
Proscribed TWICE by The South Pacific

WA Security Council Resolution Author (x2)
SC#161
SC#182

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:37 pm

Funkadelia wrote:I'm no longer in the WA anymore

That's irrelevant for co-author credit. A lot of our authors aren't in the WA, or stay in via a puppet. It's still your choice.

Yandera
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yandera » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:01 pm

Support this Repeal with no replacement.

Pollepao
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pollepao » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:21 am

Individuality-ness wrote:But we're giving credit to Funkadelia for giving us the bones. We'd also credit him as co-author, but if I recall correctly, only one co-author can be listed per proposal... Funk, it's yours if you want it. Just notify us.

Allie Youngblood

There is nothing I can see in the laws that makes it illegal to list more than one co-author if they truly contributed. Unless a Secretariat has ruled over wise previously?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

-Benjamin Franklin

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:14 am

Pollepao wrote:There is nothing I can see in the laws that makes it illegal to list more than one co-author if they truly contributed. Unless a Secretariat has ruled over wise previously?

It's one co-author, per the section on Branding. I could have sworn we said "one" somewhere in the rules, but it appears we just used the term "co-author" and assumed people could tell the difference between singular and plural.

Knootoss
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Knootoss » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:19 am

Support the repeal. No replacement.

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Ossitania
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:59 am

Knootoss wrote:Support the repeal. No replacement.

We rise in agreement with the gentleman from Knootoss.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

President and Sole Resident of Ossitania

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:00 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Pollepao wrote:There is nothing I can see in the laws that makes it illegal to list more than one co-author if they truly contributed. Unless a Secretariat has ruled over wise previously?

It's one co-author, per the section on Branding. I could have sworn we said "one" somewhere in the rules, but it appears we just used the term "co-author" and assumed people could tell the difference between singular and plural.

I know the previous iteration of the rules thread did.

Pollepao
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pollepao » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:07 pm

Ah, that makes thing confusing. Such a thing really should be corrected, to make the rules clearer. But we will leave that to the Secretariat to discuss.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

-Benjamin Franklin

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:57 pm

Okay, now that we got the "can we have more than one co-author?" discussion, and received an answer from two members of the Secretariat, can we direct our attention to the proposal before the WA floor before we go further off track?

Allie Youngblood
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Paper Flowers
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Paper Flowers » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:24 pm

We supported the previous attempt at a repeal and support this version as well. One minor change that might be worth considering based on the comments of the representatives thus far would be to remove the "HOPING" clause as there seems to be little initial interest in further legislation on this issue.

Deputy Ambassador Saunders
Liam. A. Saunders - Paper Flowers Ambassador to the World Assembly.

Factbook (under construction - last update 14th November 2012)
Current Affairs - Ambassador Walkers disappearance remains a mystery, Ambassador Saunders promoted in his place.

Funkadelia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Funkadelia » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:58 am

We, as a nation with a rich Uranium refining sector, feel that safety regulations in that are are important. Of course, we support this repeal due to it being very flawed, however we fear what may happen in nations that have less than desirable safety regulations, and then end up with a nuclear disaster. I hope those opposed to a replacement will consider this point.

Charles Mayfield
Funkadelia

Former Delegate of Lazarus (x3)
Proscribed TWICE by The South Pacific

WA Security Council Resolution Author (x2)
SC#161
SC#182

Knootoss
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Knootoss » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:27 pm

The author is still determined to proceed with this, I hope?

Ambassador Aram Koopman
World Assembly representative for the Dutch Democratic Republic of Knootoss

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Ungodly Despotism
Lobbyist

Founded: May 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ungodly Despotism » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:26 pm

I also support repeal without replacement.

I should be able to pursue nuclear power as I wish. Not everyone values the safety of their citizens.

Perhaps I should leave the World Assembly.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:24 pm

The ambassador from Bergnovinaia is prepared to proceed with this proposal. We are still awaiting any further input.

OOC: I am currently mobile due to travel w/o access to a computer of mine, so i will probably submit both of my proposals come Saturday evening or sunday when i have time and the computer to type and do a tag campaign for approval.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:27 am

This will be submitted later today because I have time to campaign. Any last minute suggestions/things to change?

Ossitania
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:02 am

Bergnovinaia wrote:HOPING that any future resolutions related to safety in Nuclear Power address these issues;

To make it clear that we neither expect nor desire a replacement.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

President and Sole Resident of Ossitania

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Kaputer
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 20, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kaputer » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:35 am

A repeal without a replace would best serve the people of the world.
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater
War can't give life, it can only take it away.
Former Capitalist Paradise Delegate

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:55 pm

Ossitania wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:HOPING that any future resolutions related to safety in Nuclear Power address these issues;

To make it clear that we neither expect nor desire a replacement.

Edited.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:32 pm

Use the nation=short tag for listing your coauthor.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:53 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Use the nation=short tag for listing your coauthor.

Like the edit or something different?

Kaputer
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 20, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kaputer » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:56 pm

If you just eliminate: HOPING that any future resolutions related to safety in Nuclear Power address these issues;
This Proposal will garner the full support of Kaputer, and I expect many other nations.
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater
War can't give life, it can only take it away.
Former Capitalist Paradise Delegate

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives