NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Extrajudicial Transfer Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Quadrimmina
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Extrajudicial Transfer Act

Postby Quadrimmina » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:24 pm

Yes, our delegation has proposed similar legislation before under the Lewis Ambassadorship, but we wish to give it another try!

Extrajudicial Transfer Act
Human Rights, Strong
THIS WORLD ASSEMBLY,

RECOGNIZING the loophole in international law regarding human rights, a loophole which allows for human rights to be violated by member nations by the simple transfer of individuals outside of WA territory.

FURTHER RECOGNIZING the treaties, alliances, and other associations made between WA and non-WA nations that could provide the means and opportunity for such violations to occur.

HEREBY bans in all member nations the willful, knowledgeable transfer of any individual from a member nation to another jurisdiction by an individual, organization, or member state for the purposes of denying or violating any of the rights that are guaranteed to that individual in the jurisdiction of the member state by national or international law.

Co-authored by [nation=short]Alqania[/nation].
Last edited by Quadrimmina on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:38 am, edited 11 times in total.
Sincerely,
Alexandra Kerrigan, Ambassador to the World Assembly from the Republic of Quadrimmina.
National Profile | Ambassadorial Profile | Quadrimmina Gazette-Post | Protect, Free, Restore: UDL

Authored:
GA#111 (Medical Research Ethics Act)
SC#28 (Commend Sionis Prioratus)
GA#197 (Banning Extrajudicial Transfer)

Co-authored:
GA#110 (Identity Theft Prevention Act)
GA#171 (Freedom in Medical Research)
GA#196 (Freedom of Information Act)

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:29 pm

Ms. Harper will still support this with interest, pending further analysis by our colleagues. :)

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:30 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Ms. Harper will still support this with interest, pending further analysis by our colleagues. :)

Thank you Ms. Harper. I am hoping this resolution will have much more luck than the prior draft, which was redrafted 7 times to no avail. :P
Sincerely,
Alexandra Kerrigan, Ambassador to the World Assembly from the Republic of Quadrimmina.
National Profile | Ambassadorial Profile | Quadrimmina Gazette-Post | Protect, Free, Restore: UDL

Authored:

Co-authored:

Dizyntk
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:34 pm

Why would said recipient nation even agree to accept such a person if they were not wanted in their nation for a crime?
Dizyntk WA Ambassador Princess Feyalisa Zerleen Profile
What is a Dizyntk you ask? Dizyntk Info
Cyanka is the Dizyntk year and is equal to 18 earth months. Do your own math.

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:35 pm

Dizyntk wrote:Why would said recipient nation even agree to accept such a person if they were not wanted in their nation for a crime?

It's not even a recipient nation, but just a non-WA jurisdiction. I should make that more clear.

OOC: Think Guantanamo, things where people are sent outside of the jurisdiction of law that would protect them from human rights abuses.
Sincerely,

Authored:

Co-authored:

Dizyntk
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:39 pm

Quadrimmina wrote:
Dizyntk wrote:Why would said recipient nation even agree to accept such a person if they were not wanted in their nation for a crime?

It's not even a recipient nation, but just a non-WA jurisdiction. I should make that more clear.

OOC: Think Guantanamo, things where people are sent outside of the jurisdiction of law that would protect them from human rights abuses.

I was under the impression that we cannot legislate how nations interact with non-WA nations since our regulations do apply to non-WA nations.

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Dizyntk wrote:
Quadrimmina wrote:It's not even a recipient nation, but just a non-WA jurisdiction. I should make that more clear.

I was under the impression that we cannot legislate how nations interact with non-WA nations since our regulations do apply to non-WA nations.

We can't legislate non-WA nations' jurisdictions, but we can legislate what WA nations do with them!
Sincerely,

Authored:

Co-authored:

Dizyntk
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:46 pm

Ah, my mistake. Well since the Dizyntk do not think it appropriate to ship our citizens out of our country for any reason, we do not object to this proposal.

Alqania
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:25 pm

"The Queendom shall strongly support the intention demonstrated in this proposal. We do however feel that this could be better worded:

RECOGNIZING the obvious loophole regarding human rights that allows for human rights to be violated outside of WA territory.

First, strike 'obvious'. The obvious needs not be recognised.

Second, make it 'loophole in international law' or something like that. Many member states have themselves closed this loophole on the national level.

Third, it is syntactically ambiguous to what 'that' refers. The sentence would need some restructuring to take care of that.

Fourth, make it 'violated by member states outside WA territory' or something like that to make it clearer this is not aimed at non-member states."

Lord Raekevik added a smile after he was done, hoping his nitpick would be deemed constructive and appropriate.
Queendom of Alqania
Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Former Speaker of the Gay Regional Parliament
Represented in the WA by Ambassador Lord Raekevikinfo
and Deputy Ambassador Princess Christineinfo
Author of GA#178
Member of UNOG and the Stonewall Alliance

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:27 pm

Alqania wrote:"The Queendom shall strongly support the intention demonstrated in this proposal. We do however feel that this could be better worded:

RECOGNIZING the obvious loophole regarding human rights that allows for human rights to be violated outside of WA territory.

Second, make it 'loophole in international law' or something like that. Many member states have themselves closed this loophole on the national level.

Third, it is syntactically ambiguous to what 'that' refers. The sentence would need some restructuring to take care of that.

Fourth, make it 'violated by member states outside WA territory' or something like that to make it clearer this is not aimed at non-member states."

Lord Raekevik added a smile after he was done, hoping his nitpick would be deemed constructive and appropriate.

We hope Lord Raekevik is pleased with the changes, and thank you for your contribution to this draft. If you have any other changes you wish to note, please feel free to do so.
Sincerely,

Authored:

Co-authored:

Alqania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:39 pm

Quadrimmina wrote:
Alqania wrote:"The Queendom shall strongly support the intention demonstrated in this proposal. We do however feel that this could be better worded:

We hope Lord Raekevik is pleased with the changes, and thank you for your contribution to this draft. If you have any other changes you wish to note, please feel free to do so.

"The current wording is simply divine, Your Excellency. I shall have my grammarian examine the other clauses to see if they can be improved upon."
Queendom of Alqania
Author of GA#178

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:43 pm

Alqania wrote:
Quadrimmina wrote:We hope Lord Raekevik is pleased with the changes, and thank you for your contribution to this draft. If you have any other changes you wish to note, please feel free to do so.

"The current wording is simply divine, Your Excellency. I shall have my grammarian examine the other clauses to see if they can be improved upon."

Thank you kindly.

(...I wish our delegation had a grammarian.)
Sincerely,

Authored:

Co-authored:

Connopolis
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:08 pm

Quadrimmina wrote:
Alqania wrote:

Thank you kindly.

You have the support of my delegation, as well as my regional delegate's delegation. (That's a tounge twister. :p)
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell
GA Ambassador of the Connopolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Darenjo
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:19 pm

Full support, of course.
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Southern Patriots
Senator

Founded: Apr 19, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:29 pm

Doesn't resolution 9 already cover this?

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He was a former schoolteacher.

I do hope it wasn't in economics.

Panzerjaeger wrote:Why would Cleopatra have cornrows? She is from Egypt not the goddamn Bronx.

Ceannairceach wrote:
Archnar wrote:The Russian Revolution showed a revolution could occure in a quick bloadless and painless process (Nobody was seriously injured or killed).

I doth protest in the name of the Russian Imperial family!
(WIP)

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:30 pm

Glen-Rhodes agrees that extrajudicial transfer is fundamentally wrong. However, the proposal would be better if it is clearly about criminal actions. While I can't say for certain what negative side effects the current wording has, my delegation is uncomfortable with the broad language in this proposal that does have potentially unintended consequences.

On the technical side, the organization of the proposal is awkward. Separating the definitions for the proscriptions doesn't seem necessary.

- Dr. B. Castro

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:14 pm

Connopolis wrote:
Quadrimmina wrote:Thank you kindly.

You have the support of my delegation, as well as my regional delegate's delegation. (That's a tounge twister. :p)
Darenjo wrote:Full support, of course.

Thank you both very kindly. Any comments you have, please feel free to let me know.

Southern Patriots wrote:Doesn't resolution 9 already cover this?

For torture, yes. For habeas corpus, other "human rights" resolutions, no.

Glen-Rhodes wrote:Glen-Rhodes agrees that extrajudicial transfer is fundamentally wrong. However, the proposal would be better if it is clearly about criminal actions. While I can't say for certain what negative side effects the current wording has, my delegation is uncomfortable with the broad language in this proposal that does have potentially unintended consequences.

On the technical side, the organization of the proposal is awkward. Separating the definitions for the proscriptions doesn't seem necessary.

- Dr. B. Castro

Could Dr. Castro be more clear as to what he means by "unintended consequences" and "negative side effects"? I know you said you can't say for certain, I don't know how I can limit it to criminal actions. The whole point of this resolution is to make the transfer a criminal action to violate someone's human rights with extrajudicial transfer.

Also, on the technical side, we do feel both definitions are necessary as is the operative clause. Would a 1), 2), 3) format be more amenable to your delegation than a 2-section format, as I have updated it?
Last edited by Quadrimmina on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sincerely,

Authored:

Co-authored:

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:35 pm

Quadrimmina wrote:Could Dr. Castro be more clear as to what he means by "unintended consequences" and "negative side effects"? I know you said you can't say for certain, I don't know how I can limit it to criminal actions. The whole point of this resolution is to make the transfer a criminal action to violate someone's human rights with extrajudicial transfer.

Well, what is extrajudicial transfer really used for? Flouting somebody's contract rights? Or torture, execution, indefinite detention, sham trials, etc.? Glen-Rhodes would be more comfortable if the proposal didn't open itself up to application of civil law unrelated to what extrajudicial transfer is usually used for.

- Dr. B. Castro

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:41 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Quadrimmina wrote:Could Dr. Castro be more clear as to what he means by "unintended consequences" and "negative side effects"? I know you said you can't say for certain, I don't know how I can limit it to criminal actions. The whole point of this resolution is to make the transfer a criminal action to violate someone's human rights with extrajudicial transfer.

Well, what is extrajudicial transfer really used for? Flouting somebody's contract rights? Or torture, execution, indefinite detention, sham trials, etc.? Glen-Rhodes would be more comfortable if the proposal didn't open itself up to application of civil law unrelated to what extrajudicial transfer is usually used for.

- Dr. B. Castro

Well, and this is just postulation before we decide exactly how we want to go about changing this, if someone's rights are violated by unwilled transfer in a non-criminal capacity, is that not worth protecting the person from too?
Sincerely,

Authored:

Co-authored:

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Quadrimmina wrote:Well, and this is just postulation before we decide exactly how we want to go about changing this, if someone's rights are violated by unwilled transfer in a non-criminal capacity, is that not worth protecting the person from too?

I wouldn't say so. Glen-Rhodes is simply maintaining that extrajudicial transfer is related to criminal law, not civil law, and that the two should not be conflated in international law.

- Dr. B. Castro

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:57 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Quadrimmina wrote:Well, and this is just postulation before we decide exactly how we want to go about changing this, if someone's rights are violated by unwilled transfer in a non-criminal capacity, is that not worth protecting the person from too?

I wouldn't say so. Glen-Rhodes is simply maintaining that extrajudicial transfer is related to criminal law, not civil law, and that the two should not be conflated in international law.

- Dr. B. Castro

Would just limiting it to rights and not "all actions" be more amenable? As below:

For the purposes of international law, "malicious extrajudicial transfer" is defined as the extrajudicial transfer of an individual to enable the transferring individual, organization, or member state to deny or violate any of the rights of the individual that are guaranteed to that individual in the jurisdiction of the member state by national or international law.
Sincerely,

Authored:

Co-authored:

Alqania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:09 am

"If giving this proposal a simpler disposition would be desirable, I suggest the following alternative to the text from the 'HEREBY' point on:

HEREBY bans in all member nations the willful, knowledgeable transfer of any individual from a member nation to another jurisdiction by an individual, organization, or member state for the purposes of denying or violating any of the rights that are guaranteed to that individual in the jurisdiction of the member state by national or international law

Although that is a mouthful of a sentence, it does make the disposition simpler and have the same effect."
Last edited by Alqania on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Queendom of Alqania
Author of GA#178

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:18 am

Alqania wrote:"If giving this proposal a simpler disposition would be desirable, I suggest the following alternative to the text from the 'HEREBY' point on:

HEREBY bans in all member nations the willful, knowledgeable transfer of any individual from a member nation to another jurisdiction by an individual, organization, or member state for the purposes of denying or violating any of the rights that are guaranteed to that individual in the jurisdiction of the member state by national or international law

Although that is a mouthful of a sentence, it does make the disposition simpler and have the same effect."

That may actually be doable. I will incorporate the clause as it has been proposed.
Sincerely,

Authored:

Co-authored:

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:00 pm

I've approved this proposal.

I would not like to explicitly limit the proposal only to "criminal" cases, as a nation may decide that, for example, terrorism cases are military rather than criminal, and therefore that the resolution did not apply to them.

Also, another possible way of handling this is to simply explicitly require that all member states grant all human rights required by international law to all persons under their control, whether those persons are or are not within their territory. This would prevent a nation from exploiting an extraterritorial gulag (OOC: like Guantanamo) to violate people's human rights.

I do think, though, that the transfer of people from one nation to another for the purpose of violating their human rights should also be prohibited.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:28 pm

Quelesh wrote:I would not like to explicitly limit the proposal only to "criminal" cases, as a nation may decide that, for example, terrorism cases are military rather than criminal, and therefore that the resolution did not apply to them.

Criminal is being used as the opposite of civil, in the arguments I've given. Not as something solely related to penal law.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly