NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Extradition Rights

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Knootoss
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

[PASSED] Extradition Rights

Postby Knootoss » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:13 am

~ IN QUEUE~

Extradition Rights
Category: Human Rights | Strength: Significant| Proposed by: Knootoss

The World Assembly,

BELIEVING that all persons have the right to a fair trial;

HAVING PREVIOUSLY ruled that Member States may not extradite a person to a jurisdiction where there is probable cause to believe they would be subjected to torture;

HAVING FURTHER ruled that nations must facilitate the extradition of those suspected of certain severe crimes, subject to national and international law;

ENTITLES all persons inside the jurisdiction of World Assembly Member States to a legal appeal in the nation from which extradition is requested;

DECLARES that persons inside the jurisdiction of a World Assembly Member State may not be extradited to another World Assembly Member State, in the absence of a treaty governing the terms of extradition or a national law governing the terms of extradition to nations with whom no treaty has been established;

FURTHER DECLARES that a legal appeal against extradition must also be accepted if any of the following are true:
a) The nation requesting extradition cannot provide evidence that – unless rebutted – would be sufficient to prove the act for which extradition is sought;
b) The act for which extradition is sought does not constitute a crime in the nation from which extradition is requested;
c) The crime for which extradition is sought is of a political nature;
d) The punishment for the crime for which extradition is sought would not be administered in the nation from which extradition is requested;
e) The nation from which extradition is requested claims jurisdiction over the crime for which extradition is sought;

CLARIFIES that the nation from which extradition is requested may also refuse to extradite for other reasons, insofar as such refusal does not contradict existing World Assembly resolutions;

ENCOURAGES Member States to enact legislation which facilitates the prosecution of cross-border crime.

Helpful wikipedia links:

This resolution is in queue! Thank you for endorsing it!
Last edited by Sedgistan on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:09 am, edited 13 times in total.

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:16 am

Looks promising, honoured ambassador. Ms. Harper may support this.

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:26 am

I am not yet sure whether extradition should also require the presence of 'prima facie' evidence. I am inclined to think that it should.

Ambassador Aram Koopman
World Assembly representative for the Dutch Democratic Republic of Knootoss

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:03 am

Knootoss wrote:I am not yet sure whether extradition should also require the presence of 'prima facie' evidence. I am inclined to think that it should.

(Image)
Ambassador Aram Koopman

I think that requests for extradition can be rejected if it is not possible to prove that the crime concerned took place. That would win more votes.

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:42 am

Just going to hear out the vox populi on it here.

Also added: "ENCOURAGES Member States to enact legislation which facilitates the prosecution of cross-border crime."

Darenjo
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:15 am

It looks pretty good. Except that I'm confused on the meaning of the second-to-last clause.
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:24 am

A clarification that states may still set other (stricter) standards for an appeals hearing.

Monikian WA Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Monikian WA Mission » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:02 am

"The Monikian government will definitely lend this support."
All posts should be assumed to be IC unless I am using an OOC indicator.

Economic Left/Right: -10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.85

(An asterisk [*] {or exclamation point [!] at the beginning of a word} in Monikian Words indicates a clicking sound which is not easily translatable in the Latin alphabet)

some cool stuff

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:58 am

Any spelling/grammar/legality naggings?

Ambassador Aram Koopman

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:09 am

Knootoss wrote:HAVING PREVIOUSLY ruled that Member States may not extradite a person to a jurisdiction where there is probable cause to believe they would be subjected to torture;

HAVING FURTHER ruled that nations must facilitate the extradition of those suspected of certain severe crimes, subject to national and international law;

Preambulatory, but House of Cards still. The word "ruled" only aggravates the situation.

Yours,
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:11 am

I may be a bit nitpicky, but individuals may be a better term for persons.

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:17 am

Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Knootoss wrote:HAVING PREVIOUSLY ruled that Member States may not extradite a person to a jurisdiction where there is probable cause to believe they would be subjected to torture;

Preambulatory, but House of Cards still. The word "ruled" only aggravates the situation.

Yours,

OOC: Hmm. I talked about this issue when I ran through the entire draft with Mouse, and we figured someone would speak out about it. As is, it is simply a description of something that happened in the past. Just like my male circumcision resolution "acknowledges" that in the past, there have been attempts to legislate on the subject. The resolution does not in any way depend on that ruling. However, it does a) name precedent, i.e. something similar has been done before b) explain why torture isn't part of the resolution now.

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:17 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:I may be a bit nitpicky, but individuals may be a better term for persons.

Why?

Ambassador Aram Koopman

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:28 am

Knootoss wrote:
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:I may be a bit nitpicky, but individuals may be a better term for persons.

Why?

Ambassador Aram Koopman

According to Amb. Nikolas Eberhart on this post, he recognised that most people do equate "persons" with the sapient specie(s) of a given nation, but there is a possible loophole. Using "persons" may be okay but I'll talk to the ambassador on IRC if I can for a clarification n the suggestion of the use of such terms.

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:56 pm

OOC: I think I'll keep 'person' here. It goes both ways, as you cannot put a non-person on trial.

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:17 pm

Not bad, our nation supports this in general.

We support requiring prima facie evidence that the crime has occurred before extradition.

Knootoss wrote:OOC: I think I'll keep 'person' here. It goes both ways, as you cannot put a non-person on trial.

You can put a corporation on trial, however, you can't extradite them.

- I would say that we should require the nation that requests extradition to pay for the costs of arrest, detention, and extradition.

- There needs to also be an exemption for diplomats for extradition, otherwise it may contradict the Diplomat Protection Act.
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255
IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:30 pm

Moronist Decisions wrote:You can put a corporation on trial, however, you can't extradite them.

An extradition request for a corporation would be rejected on those grounds, then.

Moronist Decisions wrote:- I would say that we should require the nation that requests extradition to pay for the costs of arrest, detention, and extradition.

I saw this in the Bears Armed resolution. In principle, I would agree. However it seems mini-managing to include this in the resolution. This can be arranged in bilateral treaties.

Moronist Decisions wrote:- There needs to also be an exemption for diplomats for extradition, otherwise it may contradict the Diplomat Protection Act.

Would it? It'd be considered part of "other reasons", as far as I can see.

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:33 pm

Knootoss wrote:
Moronist Decisions wrote:- I would say that we should require the nation that requests extradition to pay for the costs of arrest, detention, and extradition.

I saw this in the Bears Armed resolution. In principle, I would agree. However it seems mini-managing to include this in the resolution. This can be arranged in bilateral treaties.

True. But since, at least based on my reading of the proposal as it stands (by default), evidently this is the responsibility of the extraditing nation. I would say that it needs to be "permitted", at the minimum.

The value I see in this resolution, in my opinion, is to provide a framework for extradition in cases where no bilateral treaty exists.
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255
IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:40 pm

This resolution requires the existence of a bilateral or multilateral treaty, in order to facilitate extradition. The purpose of this resolution is the promotion of human rights, not judicial expediency. Resolutions mandating that nations drag their own people off the street, handcuff them, and put them on a plane to some nation that they may not at all have relations with, nor know much about, are the purview of others in this assembly.
Last edited by Knootoss on Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Embolalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:58 pm

Very nicely done.

If you're really concerned about a HoC violation (which I'm not sure you have...), you could possibly note it as "currently existing international law" or something, and perhaps recognize the possibility said law could be repealed.

I would also support the "prima facie" clause, personally. The sensible delegates, I imagine, will also agree. It's worth noting the crazy people won't, so it's really a matter of whether you need their support.

-E. Rory Hywel
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Bible quote? No, that's just common sense.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/
The United Commonwealth of Embolalia

Gafin Gower, Prime minister
E. Rory Hywel, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Gwaredd LLwyd, Lieutenant Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author: GA#95, GA#107, GA#132, GA#185
Philimbesi wrote:Repeal, resign, or relax.

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
Liberal atheist bisexual, and proud of it.
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:08 pm

Embolalia wrote:Very nicely done.

If you're really concerned about a HoC violation (which I'm not sure you have...), you could possibly note it as "currently existing international law" or something, and perhaps recognize the possibility said law could be repealed.

I would also support the "prima facie" clause, personally. The sensible delegates, I imagine, will also agree. It's worth noting the crazy people won't, so it's really a matter of whether you need their support.

-E. Rory Hywel

Thanks. I'm not really concerned about House of Cards, though one of the Powers-that-be can feel free to correct me. This is merely a nod to previous legislation on a similar topic, without actually mentioning them by name, or requiring their continued validity as an intrinsic part of the resolution. This proposal stands alone. As I understand House of Cards, a Proposal must be able to stand on its own even if all the referenced resolutions were struck from existence. This is perfectly possible with this proposal.

Similarly, this draft avoids contradicting the ICC, since the ICC requires extradition is to an international body, not to member nations.

Since 'prima facie' seems popular, I'll add it.

Ambassador Aram Koopman

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:18 pm

I wish to announce my full supoort to this well-thought put piece of legislation. May it soon find its place in the books.

Yours,
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:19 pm

Added, and changed the order and wording of the clauses slightly, for clarity:

FURTHER DECLARES that a legal appeal against extradition must also be accepted if any of the following are true:
a) The nation requesting extradition cannot provide evidence that – unless rebutted – would be sufficient to prove the act for which extradition is sought;
b) The act for which extradition is sought does not constitute a crime in the nation from which extradition is requested;
c) The crime for which extradition is sought is of a political nature;
d) The punishment for the crime for which extradition is sought would not be administered in the nation from which extradition is requested;
e) The nation from which extradition is requested claims jurisdiction over the crime for which extradition is sought;

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:19 pm

OOC: After some comments from a legally schooled friend I would like to submit the following supplement for commentary:

"DECLARES that persons inside the jurisdiction of a World Assembly Member State may not be extradited to another World Assembly Member State, in the absence of a treaty governing the terms of extradition or a national law governing the terms of extradition to nations with whom no treaty has been established;" [supplement in italics].

This will explicitly allow member nations to to establish a legal mechanism which states the conditions where extradition is allowed, thereby removing the necessity of negotiating treaties with everyone.
Last edited by Knootoss on Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:48 pm

Knootoss wrote:"DECLARES that persons inside the jurisdiction of a World Assembly Member State may not be extradited to another World Assembly Member State, in the absence of a treaty governing the terms of extradition or a national law governing the terms of extradition to nations with whom no treaty has been established;" [supplement in italics].

As I've stated on IRC, I support this draft. I especially like the latest edition of the above-quoted clause for the following reasons:
  • It allows for nations to create a list of minimums, in the event that some of the present WA law is ever repealed (i.e. no extradition to nations where the individual is likely to be tortured, no extradition in case of the death penalty - particularly for more minor offenses, etc.)
  • It allows for continued extradition in the instance that a given nation's government is in flux (due to an uprising, change in leadership, change in type from monarchy to democracy, etc.) and a new treaty has not been formally agreed upon.
  • Generally allows for more national flexibility/sovereignty. (And, yes, my support on those grounds is likely shocking to many of my fellow ambassadors. :P)
Full support as presently written!

Yours,
Nikolas Eberhart
Ambassador for the Doctoral Monkey Feet of Mousebumples
WA Delegate for Monkey Island
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Next

Advertisement