NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Nuclear Disaster Response Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Veilyonia
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

PASSED: Nuclear Disaster Response Act

Postby Veilyonia » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:30 pm

Nuclear Disaster Response Act

Category: International Security
Strength: Significant
Proposed by: Veilyonia

The World Assembly,

REALIZING that nuclear disasters, whether accidentally caused, or caused as result of conflict, pose a serious threat to the world’s population,

UNDERSTANDING that nuclear radiation can have catastrophic effects on the environment and international population if the disaster is not dealt with accordingly, as contaminated waterways and nuclear fallout can disperse nuclear radiation across international borders,

ALARMED that many nations do not adequately respond to nuclear disasters, or underestimate their severity, placing not just their national population, but the international community at risk,

HEREBY

1) DEFINES, for the purposes of appropriately interpreting the material of this resolution:
-A ‘nuclear disaster’ as any event, brought about intentionally or accidentally, that results in the widespread expulsion of harmful concentrations of nuclear radiation
- A ‘contaminated zone’ as an area containing concentrations of radiation that can be harmful or fatal with prolonged exposure.

2) ESTABLISHES the Nuclear Disaster Response Organization (NDRO), which shall perform the following duties:

A) Confirming the severity of nuclear disasters, that is, the amount of radiation released, and its extent and distribution.
B) Providing cleanup crews to control the spread of radiation, and prevent individuals from receiving harmful doses of radiation.
C) Determining the causes of accidental nuclear disasters, for the purposes of preventing similar disasters in the future.

3) MANDATES that all member nations report nuclear disasters to the NDRO, and any surrounding nations that may have been affected by the disaster.

4) REQUIRES that nations afflicted by nuclear disasters take the following measures in dealing with such disasters, including, but not limited to:

A) Evacuating any areas that have been contaminated by radiation as a result of the disaster, beginning with areas closest to the source of radiation and moving outwards.
B) Providing clean water to areas that have had their sources of drinking water contaminated as a result of the disaster.
C) Providing immediate medical services to those suffering from radiation poisoning as a result of the disaster.
D) Clearly marking contaminated zones with multi-lingual signs, using languages present in the surrounding area.
E) Taking appropriate measures to prevent the spread of radiation by restricting or diverting the flow of contaminated waterways, where possible.

This draft has already been scrutinized by several nations, so there shouldn't be any grammatical errors. I'm mainly looking for any comments/ideas/thoughts before I submit the proposal.
Last edited by Sirocco on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
Previously known as Veilyonia
Political Compass
"An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" -Gandhi

Swarming Cute Kittens
Civil Servant

Founded: May 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: [DRAFT] Nuclear Disaster Response Act

Postby Swarming Cute Kittens » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:26 pm

If I may suggest:

D) Clearly marking contaminated zones with multi-lingual signs.

Perhaps this should read something like 'with signs using the most commonly used languages in the affected area'. The thought behind this is that some nations could have a lot of languages or dialects through their nation.

Other than that, I applaud the effort and this would be something I would likely wish to vote in favor of.

Veilyonia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Veilyonia » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:30 pm

Swarming Cute Kittens wrote:If I may suggest:

Perhaps this should read something like 'with signs using the most commonly used languages in the affected area'. The thought behind this is that some nations could have a lot of languages or dialects through their nation.

Other than that, I applaud the effort and this would be something I would likely wish to vote in favor of.

Thanks for the feedback! I think doing so may be more practical than including languages not even present in the area. Constructing signs for the hundreds of languages in the world would be very impractical, especially when many may not even be spoken in the afflicted area.
Last edited by Veilyonia on Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass

Veilyonia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Veilyonia » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:57 am

The World Assembly,

REALIZING that nuclear disasters, whether accidentally caused, or caused as result of conflict, pose a serious threat to the world’s population,

UNDERSTANDING that nuclear radiation can have catastrophic effects on the environment and international population if the disaster is not dealt with accordingly, as contaminated waterways and nuclear fallout can disperse nuclear radiation across international borders,

ALARMED that many nations do not adequately respond to nuclear disasters, or underestimate their severity, placing not just their national population, but the international community at risk,

HEREBY

1) DEFINES, for the purposes of appropriately implementing the material of this resolution:
-A ‘nuclear disaster’ as any event, brought about by malicious intent or otherwise, that results in the widespread expulsion of nuclear radiation across a populated area, that is, a population center of at least 30,000 persons.
- A ‘contaminated zone’ as an area containing concentrations of radiation that can be harmful or fatal with prolonged exposure.

2) ESTABLISHES the Nuclear Disaster Response Organization (NDRO), which shall perform the following duties:

A) Confirming the severity of nuclear disasters, that is, the amount of radiation released, and its extent and distribution.
B) Providing cleanup crews to control the spread of radiation, and prevent additional individuals from receiving harmful doses of radiation.
C) Determining the causes of accidental nuclear disasters, for the purposes of preventing similar disasters in the future.

3) MANDATES that all member nations report nuclear disasters to the NDRO, and any surrounding nations that may have been affected by the disaster.

4) REQUIRES that all member nations take the following measures in dealing with the nuclear disaster, including, but not limited to:

A) Evacuating any areas that have been contaminated by radiation as a result of the disaster, beginning with areas closest to the source of radiation and moving outwards.
B) Providing clean water to areas that have had their sources of drinking water contaminated as a result of the disaster.
C) Providing immediate medical services to those suffering from radiation poisoning as a result of the disaster.
D) Clearly marking contaminated zones with multi-lingual signs, using languages present in the surrounding area.
E) Taking appropriate measures to prevent the spread of radiation by restricting or diverting the flow of contaminated waterways, where possible.

Updated. The bolded portion has been added to the draft.
Last edited by Veilyonia on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Political Compass

Malikov
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Malikov » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:01 pm

There are some species in Nation States, that depend on high radiation environments to survie, and launch highly radioactive bombs of to sustain these high levels.
Current flag request.
The Official Factbook Of The United Peoples Of Malikov
Official Malkovian Flag
Official Malikovian Seal
Regional Map Of The United Peoples
Defcon:1 2 3 4 [5]
Military: .5% Standing Military|1.5% Reserves
Organizations:The Phoenix Conglomeration
The Trews - Highway of Heroes

In Flanders Fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses row on row
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below...

R.I.P.
The Conglomerate
Tiurabo wrote:Your forces are weak because you are capable of reigning them in.
"Friendship is two pals munching on a well cooked face together."

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:28 pm

Malikov wrote:There are some species in Nation States, that depend on high radiation environments to survie, and launch highly radioactive bombs of to sustain these high levels.

Then this proposal doesn't apply to them as it wouldn't be a disaster.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Malikov
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Malikov » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:41 pm

Ah, but in clause 1, part 2, it doesn't specify who it is harmful to. Changes need to be made, so that it has to be harmful to the species within the immediate surroundings.
Current flag request.
The Official Factbook Of The United Peoples Of Malikov
Official Malkovian Flag
Official Malikovian Seal
Regional Map Of The United Peoples
Defcon:1 2 3 4 [5]
Military: .5% Standing Military|1.5% Reserves
Organizations:The Phoenix Conglomeration
The Trews - Highway of Heroes

In Flanders Fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses row on row
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below...

R.I.P.
The Conglomerate
Tiurabo wrote:Your forces are weak because you are capable of reigning them in.
"Friendship is two pals munching on a well cooked face together."

Morlago
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Morlago » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:33 am

Well, Malikov, do you have to be so mean? But since you've brought it up I suppose you should change. Perhaps you can say,
1) DEFINES, for the purposes of appropriately implementing the material of this resolution:
-A ‘nuclear disaster’ as any event, brought about by malicious intent or accident, that results in the widespread expulsion of nuclear radiation across a populated area, that is, a population center of at least 30,000 persons.
- A ‘contaminated zone’ as an area containing concentrations of radiation that can be harmful or fatal to [b]humans and/or similar beings[/u] with prolonged exposure.
Angelo Gervoski
Minister of WA Affairs of
The United Islands of Morlago
Yë Morre Waidamün i Mórlago

DEFCON: 1 2 (Low) 3 4 5 6

Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33
Graph
Center-left social moderate.
Left: 2.2, Libertarian: 0.75
Foreign Policy: -6.11 (Non-interventionalist)
Culture: -6.31 (Cultural liberal)

Spredronia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Spredronia » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:39 am

Nothing much.

Oh, full support. :D
(.-:-[_____]-:-) = PSP
([______])
(-:- . . -:-) PSPGo!
Taken from the Playstation.com forums. Please don't hurt me. If you want me to remove them, just say so.
Epic Thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=59092
Member of the CoNS
If Twilight came to life, 50% of the world would scream in joy. The other 48% would kill themselves. If you are one of the 1% who would grab a shotty and fight to the end, C+P. Yes, it's copied, no, I don't care.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:43 am

4) REQUIRES that all member nations take the following measures in dealing with the nuclear disaster, including, but not limited to:

It may be simpler to simply say "Clear signage to indicate contaminated zones". No need to go into the multi-language bit.

Seculartopia
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seculartopia » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:49 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:

It may be simpler to simply say "Clear signage to indicate contaminated zones". No need to go into the multi-language bit.

Hmm, but what if the nation has more than one language?

A compromise could be something about the National Languages instead of every spoken language, because that could be MANY languages depending, the signs would be to large.
LOL....Google Chrome doesnt support the Google Toolbar
|Seculartopia Encyclopedia|
|Ask Seculartopia A Question|

Alliances- International Secular Coalition-AMTF-Comintern Founding Member-Nuclear Arms Assembly

Ifreann Awesomeness
Rhodmire wrote:4/5 for being bold enough to put up what looks like something made from MS Paint.
That takes balls, and you've got them.

All was dark when the armies surrounded the town. There was little bloodshed as they swept in, and they quickly took control. "Success," said a communicator, "a base has been established."

OOC:There. Now, we'll wait for UK to catch up.

^EPIC RP GODMOD FAIL!!

Civics Quiz
You answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %
Average score for this quiz during August: 75.6%

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:08 am

Seculartopia wrote:Hmm, but what if the nation has more than one language?

A compromise could be something about the National Languages instead of every spoken language, because that could be MANY languages depending, the signs would be to large.

The international radiation symbol may suffice as a minimum in my opinion. Multiple languages would still be permitted, just as long it is clear-marking.

Dee Beelle
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dee Beelle » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:46 am

An excellent proposal. That said, I don't think we can define a nuclear disaster by the population it immmediately affects, because they may be missing the point slightly. The issue here is the dispersal of radioactive material over international borders and over great distances. Which means that, for example, a nuclear accident could occur in the heart of an uninhabited mountain range and only affect a handful of people. However, it could irridiate some local glacier formations, which in the Spring some months later severly pollute several large rivers that flow throught the region, heading ginto major cities in several different states.

Clearly, I think we should consider any remotely large scale emission of radiation to be a disaster. As for the international effect, I think we too should include something regarding the co-operation of member-states (and, possibly even non-member states) in regards to nuclear disasters which affect several nations.

And, while it might not really have a place in this particular pice of legislation, what about fallout from the deliberate use of nuclear or radioactive weapons?

Sorry I'm raising alot of questions without providing alot of answers, but these are issues I think should be discussed before putting this thing up for vote.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:22 am

The scope of this clause
-A ‘nuclear disaster’ as any event, brought about by malicious intent or otherwise, that results in the widespread expulsion of nuclear radiation across a populated area, that is, a population center of at least 30,000 persons.
technically includes the normal functioning of every star that has at least one world with at least 30'000 persons in its system...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Xaipete Benn
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Xaipete Benn » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:26 am

Veilyonia wrote:
B) Providing cleanup crews to control the spread of radiation, and prevent individuals from receiving harmful

Small grammatical issue. Harmful what?

Apologies if you have already changed this and I haven't noticed, the office of the Supreme Xaipete is very busy processing tax returns.
Xaipete Benn is ruled by the Supreme Xaipete and the Awesome Benn Nihil aliud scit necessitas quam vincere.

Xaipete Benn believes in debate, curiosity and mutual respect. Backed up by the fear of the Supreme Xaipete and the humour of the Awesome Benn.

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:29 am

It might have been an editing accident which happens to me sometimes, accidentally deleting the wrong parts, honoured ambassador.

I think the honoured ambassador to Veilyonia was meaning to say "Providing cleanup crews to control the spread of radiation, and prevent individuals from receiving harmful levels of radiation."

Veilyonia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Veilyonia » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:50 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:It might have been an editing accident which happens to me sometimes, accidentally deleting the wrong parts, honoured ambassador.

I think the honoured ambassador to Veilyonia was meaning to say "Providing cleanup crews to control the spread of radiation, and prevent individuals from receiving harmful levels of radiation."

In my second draft, listed in one of the below posts, the problem was already repaired to say "harmful doses of radiation."

Bears Armed wrote:The scope of this clause
technically includes the normal functioning of every star that has at least one world with at least 30'000 persons in its system...

I believe this will remedy the situation;

-A ‘nuclear disaster’ as any event, brought about by malicious intent or otherwise, that results in the widespread expulsion of harmful levels of nuclear radiation across a populated area, that is, a population center of at least 30,000 persons
Political Compass

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:56 pm

Would it be possible to add a clause that would allow for WA member nations to request the services of the NDRO in cases involving populations of less than 30,000 individuals?

[Lord] Ambassador Darvek Tyvok
Great Chiefdom of Krioval

Dee Beelle
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dee Beelle » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:40 pm

-A ‘nuclear disaster’ as any event, brought about by malicious intent or otherwise, that results in the widespread expulsion of harmful levels of nuclear radiation across a populated area, that is, a population center of at least 30,000 persons

I still think that the revised version doesn't quite address the issue. And I still think that's too large a population to define a "disaster". I'd reword it more as

DEFINES a "nuclear disaster" as, intentional or unintentional, the dispersal of harmful levels or radiation or radioactive materials in a way that threatens any population over 5,000.
Last edited by Dee Beelle on Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:22 am

Even if a disaster hits a desert then action would still be needed if the rivers affected lead to a population centre some thousands of miles away. When not treated, radiation will spread, fast. Same goes for the atmosphere too. Therefore there may not be a need to specify a minimum population, honoured ambassador.

Veilyonia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Veilyonia » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:22 pm

The World Assembly,

HEREBY

1) DEFINES, for the purposes of appropriately interpreting the material of this resolution:
-A ‘nuclear disaster’ as any event, brought about intentionally or accidentally, that results in the widespread expulsion of harmful concentrations of nuclear radiation

B) Providing cleanup crews to control the spread of radiation, and prevent individuals from receiving harmful doses of radiation.

4) REQUIRES that nations afflicted by nuclear disasters take the following measures in dealing with such disasters, including, but not limited to:

Thank you everyone for your input. We agree that the definition of a "nuclear disaster" should include sparsely populated areas, as radiation can still spread over vast distances (OOC: it is with this in mind that the resolution was drafted in the first place.) Hence, the population cap has been removed. Some other sections have been tweaked for grammar purposes.
Last edited by Veilyonia on Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:43 am

So far, so good, honoured ambassador. (it is a good idea to update to opening post as well!)

I'll get back to you if I find any issues.

Greenlandic People
Envoy

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greenlandic People » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:55 am

What if the disaster is related to a matter sensitive to national security or secrecy? That is to say, what if a nation is using nuclear power as a front to build an nuclear weapon, but then has an accident with the research? Wouldn't it blow their cover to reveal that their project actually has an aggressive aim?

Is their any way that the clause can be changed so that the exact details of reports to the NDRO can be kept classified upon request?

~Sigismund Ibsen,
Lavinium Delegate to the World Assembly
Member of ODECON
Regional Pages: Forum | Web page | Wiki Page
National Pages: Wiki | Factbook
Author of GA Resolutions: #58 | #64

Veilyonia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Veilyonia » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:20 am

Greenlandic People wrote:

What if the disaster is related to a matter sensitive to national security or secrecy? That is to say, what if a nation is using nuclear power as a front to build an nuclear weapon, but then has an accident with the research? Wouldn't it blow their cover to reveal that their project actually has an aggressive aim?

Is their any way that the clause can be changed so that the exact details of reports to the NDRO can be kept classified upon request?

~Sigismund Ibsen,

If so, only the cause of the disaster could be kept classified. The reason why I wrote the resolution in the first place was to prevent a situation similar to what occured in Russia in the 1960s, when the Mayak plant exploded. Thousands of people were irradiated, very few were evacuated, and no one was told that they were irradiated. I am hesitant to include such a clause, as the main reason why nations would request classification of such details would be intent to build/launch a nuclear warhead.
Political Compass

Greenlandic People
Envoy

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greenlandic People » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:29 am

Veilyonia wrote:
Greenlandic People wrote:

~Sigismund Ibsen,

If so, only the cause of the disaster could be kept classified. The reason why I wrote the resolution in the first place was to prevent a situation similar to what occured in Russia in the 1960s, when the Mayak plant exploded. Thousands of people were irradiated, very few were evacuated, and no one was told that they were irradiated. I am hesitant to include such a clause, as the main reason why nations would request classification of such details would be intent to build/launch a nuclear warhead.

Sure, that's more or less what I meant. As long as the cause is allowed to be classified then you can reasonably protect your national secrets whilst still giving people the knowledge they need to take appropriate action.

~Sigismund Ibsen,
Member of ODECON
Regional Pages: Forum | Web page | Wiki Page
National Pages: Wiki | Factbook
Author of GA Resolutions: #58 | #64

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives