NATION

PASSWORD

Quintessence of Dust: Introduction of Fire (BoF38) bid

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]
Quintessence of Dust
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Quintessence of Dust: Introduction of Fire (BoF38) bid

Postby Quintessence of Dust » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:10 pm

Football in Quintessence of Dust is clearly flagging. Somewhereistonian and Sorthern players whose signings to Not-Really-Very Premier League clubs were once unveiled with a flurry of press attention have quietly dragged themselves back home to seek out teams who actually have a chance in international club competition. The excitement of the World Cup 50 quickly whistled into quiet disappointment and the media spent more column inches on junior hockey than the national football team.

Which might make the QFA's decision to bid to host the Introduction of Fire* a bit odd, but if you think about it, it also makes us the perfect candidates. Come, new nations of the world, and reignite in our humble country the spark of footballing passion! Show us why we should care more about 4-4-2 formations than 6-4-3 double plays, why goalies keep instead of tend, how to enjoy with a game with only 22 players and a weirdly spherical ball!

And of course, the more passionate the team, the more vocal their supporters, the more eloquent their coverage, the more likely they are to find favour with Quodite spectators, and therefore ride to glory on a crest of popular enthusiasm.

Bid details

NSFS 2.0.7.2 will be used to scorinate, with a daily RP bonus available probably worth 2-3 (to be calibrated based on a suitable maxpoints score once the schedule is worked out). No style modifiers.

As of now, there are 25 signups by my count, but I assume a few more will enter, so we're looking at 28 minimum. Obviously the most convenient numbers are 28 (7 groups of 4), 30 (6 groups of 5), or 32 (8 groups of 4). Regardless of the signup numbers, the aim is to have even group numbers, leading to a Round of 16, made up of group qualifiers plus highest scoring losers.

Each group stage will be based at different university (if a smaller number of groups is used, some will not be needed):
University College Highmark (Highmark City)
University of West Sponson (New Cleethorpes)
State University of Pulona (Rahlia)
University of Verinque (Veringia)
Grinwarick Central University (Highmark City)
Univerity of Zyarn (played at the Eli F. Baker Memorial Arena)
Blaubeck University (Westhampton)
University of East Sponson (Greater Scunthorpe Municipality/Slurry Reprocessing Orb)

The knockout stage games will be played at bigger national arenas: the National Stadium of Sports in Highmark City, the Memorial Arena, the Northern Astrodome in Greschmeier, Finntasia in Kynythin, and the New Cleethorpes Municipal Sporting Ground are among the likely contenders. The final will be held at The Arena of Dreams in Nowy Orpington.

RP ideas

Obviously, most people use the Introduction of Fire to introduce their teams, let us know which of their strikers they will be wanking for three successive Cup cycles, which of their female players it's ok to completely dehumanise, etc, etc. But for those looking for anything more to play with, the general theme will be of a sceptical public adapting to a sport of fading national popularity. As with the World Cup of Hockey, I plan on including the occasional news article with cutoffs/results; the aim is more to comment than to create, though. I'll include a little info on each university/city in the group draw.

The mascot is Sally the Seal, who in the spirit of the competition has been set on fire.

Infrequently Asked Questions

1. [Question I asked all the other bidders] Why do I want to host the BoF?

I think it's probably more fun than hosting most other tournaments, as there's more exciting RPs to read. Reading a news report of Jeremy McAllister scoring a goal or Johnny Stryker hitting a home run loses its appeal over time. Plus I haven't hosted a football tournament before so it'd add a bit of variety to my quiver. Plus, to continue the theme of absolute self-interest, I'd honestly like to host as many events as possible prior to the next Olympic bid so as to improve my chances.

2. If I don't even like football, why am I bidding to host a football tournament?

Answer a) hasn't mattered before. Answer b) I'm not the one who'll be doing the football RPing. Therefore it's a good way to be involved. Answer c) I don't mind football IRL (Fever Pitch is one of my favourite books), I just don't find it that fun a sport to write about online. So consider this a chance to prove me wrong.

3. What else have I hosted?

Not much. Some rugby, some ice hockey, and that's about it.

4. Why no co-host?

I asked a couple of people if they were interested and they weren't, but it's a small tournament so I think one host is ok. Plus, because RP is so important, it's arguably better to have one host, so as to ensure even grading.

5. Other important things about the bid?

I like Wes Montgomery, and I still cry every time I watch ET.

* The rigid secularism of Quodite national politics would clearly preclude government sponsorship for a sporting competition named after a Christian ritual. Therefore, for domestic purposes, the competition will be named simply the "Introduction of Fire". Meta-material, in the form of NSwiki articles, would be considered "foreign media" and unaffected.
Last edited by Quintessence of Dust on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The fight is long and tough, but together, we can make it. -- José Carlos Mariátegui

Two kinds of pork in one soup? Bring it on. -- Christina Hendricks

St Pauls Isle
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby St Pauls Isle » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:04 pm

I approve of Quod's choice of reading material. The Bid? Uhh...so many...

Return to NS Sports