NATION

PASSWORD

International Basketball Championships 20 - IC Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Banguela
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Banguela » Sun May 22, 2016 7:36 am

What we hear most often about the Sanctii selection that will face our guys this very evening is that they pale in comparison to the generation that dominated the IBC a while back with three consecutive victories. To claim that the side that will grace the parquet can’t stand the test with that group is equally correct and unfair. Even within a nation that has a long and fierce tradition in the sport, the triple victors stand out as owners of a unique chemistry and might be seen as the best team ever to appear at a Championship, possibly challenged by the Sarzonians who rocked their generation.

All daydreaming of the past aside, Os Bestas face a quintet that has gone flawless so far and rightly so. Lucas Cornificius might not have gathered the most praise possible so far during this tournament but the domestic MVP could reign in that title again here if he leads the Sanctii to a new trophy. Another player that would start in any side of this IBC certainly is Lucia Cornelia. While some might have questioned here quality ahead of the festivities, she is now generally seen as one of the defining three-point scorers of this tournament.

The praise garnished amongst the international press for the duo mentioned above stands in contrast to the relatively fickle list of results from our formation, with especially Joao Vicente showing two faces across the quarterfinals. At times he directed the game with his known vigour and enthusiasm but physically, he was more than often degraded by the looming towers of the Sword Bloke. Manager Luis Radeba might even consider benching him, it is rumoured, but in a more technical game, as is played by those who stand by the cross, he might still be valuable.

Only one Sancti makes the double meter but that one, Stephanus Axius probably holds the key in his hands. More often than not, he is seen as the weakest link in the formation having to deal with a comparison to Prince Ioannes. It should offer opportunities for the Banguelans if it weren’t for our own weaknesses. If Joao Vicente holds on, our own lacuna might exactly be located at the same spot. Garzao has been as shaky as our own form and must be that which keeps Luis Radeba awake at night.

Banguela goes into this triple confrontation without a lot of obligations as a spot amongst the last eight. Contrary to their opponent, who came for at least a spot in the final, their tournament can already be seen as a success. This mental difference forms the sole ace up the sleeve of Radeba that could overturn the balance. In the group phase, Saintland did not struggle to score a perfect record but the doubleheader against Ethane showed some weaknesses. All those should be exploited to fiddle with the heads of the favourites.

Our last words we’ll save for the other three match-ups that rolled out of the first knock-out phase. The Grim Reapers so far boast a clean track, hitting the lowest odds of many bookies. The home support of the Snakes could make it a fine battle but the Quebecois will attempt to finish it off in two games. Mainly because we all suspect that Abanhfleft and St. Kanye will need three games to determine who deserves the crown of second favourite. With an eye to the spectacular and interesting basketball both served so far, this should catch the most international interest but the exhaustion of this biblical clash might harm their chances for the victory. Only for us, the main focus might be on the game between the surprising Anacondas and Ko-oren. Neither has been doing extremely well but Ko-oren seems capable of calmly walking into the finals to finish this off.

Ceni
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Sun May 22, 2016 2:18 pm

I know this is a bit earlier than usual, but here's cutoff. Tomorrow's cutoff will be around 4 hours later than today's because of something I have to go to.

Ceni 60–86 Royal Kingdom of Quebec
Abanhfleft 64–87 Saint Kanye
Frenline Delpha 64–95 Ko-oren
Saintland 63–82 Banguela

All nations lead their respective series by 1-0.
Last edited by Ceni on Sun May 22, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THE REPUBLIC OF CENI (the user behind this nation uses he/him/his pronouns)
Air Terranea | The Wanderlust Guide to Ceni | Seven Restaurants in Seven Days: Cataloging Cenian Food
Champions: Di Bradini Cup 38, U-18 World Cup 17
Runners-up: Di Bradini Cup 39, Di Bradini Cup 41
NSTT #1s: Lonus Varalin, Ardil Navsal (singles), Gyrachor Rentos, Val Korekal, Elia Xal/Fia Xal (doubles)
UICA Champions' Cup titles (1): 1860 Azoth
World Cup 76, World Cup 79
Baptism of Fire 61
Cup of Harmony 63
Copa Rushmori 41
International Basketball Championships 20
Cenian Open (Grand Slam) 1-8
<Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

Abanhfleft
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Abanhfleft » Sun May 22, 2016 6:49 pm

Abdul Halim bin Osman was not feeling good at all.

And it wasn't just because of the color schemes of the two nations competing in front of him, but it certainly added to the stirring and sloshing feeling in his gut. Who thought up of those colors anyway? Blue, orange and green against purple and lime? The flagmakers of Abanhfleft and Saint Kanye should both be arrested and hanged for crimes against humanity for their weird color combinations!, he thought. Perhaps the world was very lucky that he was a basketball player and coach, not a judge or politician. Honestly, Osman would have preferred the blue, red, and white of his native Australia.

But it was Abanhfleft, the nation of the asul-kahel-berde tatlong-kulay, which had given Osman his big break, and it was his daring move from his hometown of Hobart to the city of Malabon in Abanhfleft that had propelled Osman to new heights of popularity and greatness. He had become a dedicated one-club man, playing only for the Malabon Black Ops of the Fleftic Basketball Association and leading them to seven championships in his twenty-year career. He had retired from playing ball on the day that the Black Ops won their latest title, something which they hadn't really won ever since, but it was just a short time before he was pulled back to the parquet floor by none other than the Samahang Basketbol ng Abanhfleft to replace the sacked Alexander Santo Niño. Osman didn't even have an iota of experience as a manager, but here was the national basketball federation offering to sign him to a five-year deal to manage the Fleftics' new basketball team! You couldn't make this stuff up!

Those heady days were now gone, replaced by an ever-present feeling of doom and gloom, like Abanhfleft's basketball team were to be perpetually tormented by failure after failure after failure, and never get to reach the finals. The same shit that had happened to Abanhfleft in Valladares was happening to them once again here in Ceni, and once again it was the Surge of Saint Kanye who were doing the tormenting. The only difference was that this time, everyone knew where Leo Baxter was: recuperating in the hospital following knee surgery.

The Surge had finally done what many other teams had failed to do in this tournament, and that was take advantage of their height advantage over the Fleftics. They'd said so in their basketball shows, and they'd done so on the court. But that wasn't all of it, though. The Kanyeans were also overloading the Fleftics. The Fleftic game plan thrived on their opponents using their height to cut off any passage to the inside lanes, but that only allowed the Fleftics more room to operate and plan accordingly. Not the Kanyeans. They were always double-teaming and sometimes even triple-teaming the ball-carrier, and that was what had helped them stifle the offense.

Osman had brought in his bigger players starting in the third quarter when it was becoming obvious that the Surge were, well, surging through the quarters with big leads, but there was only so much that strategy and the individual players could do against a stifling opponent. The players looked demoralized following the final buzzer, and it was probably not just because of the crazy mix of purple and lime on the Surge's uniforms. Their performance out there was honestly a nauseating one, far from the scintillating displays that they'd shown in the group stage and the San Llera series.

There was only one way to get something out of this, and that was to force game three by winning game two. Once again, they'd work on their strategy, and this time they would add drills to get away from double teams and triple teams, and they would also improve on their skills in slicing through the forests of the tall opponents on their way to scoring and rebounding baskets. Rebounding was yet another important area of focus. That was how the Surge had truly taken the advantage over the Rebolusyonaryos, 306 rebounds to the Surge, both defensive and offensive, as opposed to only 206 for the Rebolusyonaryos. Hell of a game, isn't it?

There really is something weird with a purple and lime combination, but nothing as weird as blue, orange, and green.
The Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft
Leader: President Rako Novoire

Territories and dependencies:
Trans-Dniesters (Client state)
Oontaz Dert Li Ng
Copper Cuprum
Trendstart
Economic Left/Right: -1.72
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.88
Second place winner in the International Baseball Slam VI
Third place winner in the World Lacrosse Championship XIX
Winner of the Baptism of Iron XVI!
Third place winner in the 33rd Di Bradini Cup!

Third place winner of the International Baseball Slam VIII
Winner of World Lacrosse Championships 22!

I also write stories. Would you like to read my works?

Saint Kanye
Minister

Founded: Jan 28, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Saint Kanye » Mon May 23, 2016 4:09 am

THE KARDASHIA KIBITZER

IBC 20: REBS PROVE NO MATCH FOR SURGING KANYEANS IN QFS GAME 1

by Dante Dinkley

NEW OXFORD - The St. Kanye Surge outhustled, outmuscled and generally outplayed the much shorter Abanhfleft Rebolusyonaryos team, taking the first game of their 20th International Basketball Championships quarterfinal round series by a score of 87-64. They are now favored to close this thing out tomorrow and barge into the semifinals, but St. Kanye's head coach Paulie Brewster doesn't want to make sure of it. "Giving them [the Fleftics] their first loss of the tournament, and a twenty-three-point blowout at that, just fires them up. I fully expect a different showing from them next game, and I expect my team to find a way to stop whatever they'll throw at us. Anything can happen." Team co-captain James Blackwell added, "Our height advantage is very important, but it isn't the main thing. We must also still rely on whatever we do when we win against opponents that aren't that far from us when it comes to size."

The Surge, clad in their black alternates, shook things up at the start by starting 7-foot-3 Jason Morrigan at center opposite Abanhfleft's 5'9.5" Dylan Kapowski. "J-Mo" virtually devoured Kapowski and the rest of the Fleftics and led his team to a 28-12 first quarter, in which he himself scored ten of his tournament-high twenty-one points and grabbed five of his thirteen rebounds. The Surge further frustrated the Rebs in the second, double-teaming and sometimes even triple-teaming their key players. Halftime came with the Kanyeans a couple dozen points ahead, 53-29.

Fleftic coach Abdul Halim bin Osman switched strategies in the third period, bringing in his bigs, including 6'8" Damian Gonzalez. Gonzalez and the rest of the Abanhfleft bench helped reduce the lead, even coming to within thirteen, 61-48 with 4:32 remaining in the quarter. But he was taken back to the bench with a broken nose caused by a Billy Forrest elbow to the face while fighting for a rebound off a missed floater by the Rebs' Gregory Mankiller. Gonzalez didn't return until the final two minutes of the game, with the Surge already enjoying an 83-60 lead and having bench players on the floor. The Argentine's nose was hit again by Forrest, who shouted an apology, and who was taken out of the game, that hit being foul number five for him. After a short exchange of field goals by both teams, the buzzer sounded, and most of the 3,068-strong Kanyean delegation in the University of New Oxford Gymnasium chanted "One more! One more!", as in one more game to take the series and advance to the next stage, something the Fleftics will be very keen on preventing.

In other quarterfinals games, the Royal Kingdom of Quebec Grim Reapers whipped the host Ceni Snakes, 86-60; the Ko-oren Dragonflies annihilated the Frenline Delpha Anacondas, 95-64; and the Banguela Os Bestas wrecked the Saintland Sanctii, 82-63.

SKYNET (Saint KanYe NETwork) Sports Channel 12 and SKYNET Extreme Channel 13 will broadcast two series each of the IBC 20 quarterfinals live. All four series are broadcast live online at http://www.skynet.stk/12-sports/ibc-20. IBC fan stories can be submitted at http://www.the-kardashia-kibitzer.stk/ibc/fan-stories. We will notify you via email if your story has been selected for publication.

Scores:

ST. KANYE 87 - Morrigan 21, Overton 13, Trichet 12, Blackwell 9, Forrest 7, Philips 7, Larsson 5, Page 4, Warner 3, Gatson 2, Smith 2, Stevens 2.

ABANHFLEFT 64 - Morada 14, Barry 11, Gonzalez 8, Harris 6, Isaacs 6, Kapowski 4, Mankiller 4, Taylor 4, Jalandoni 3, Wydeman 2, Fara-on 1, Ipatiev 1.

Quarters: 28-12, 53-29, 70-50, 87-64.
Gale Force Racing (NSSCRA Main Tier)
18 Jeremiah Brooke (S9 Champ, S13 Runner-up) | 27 Stacie Houston (S7 Champ, S12 Runner-up) | 46 Thea Alvarez (S10 Runner-up)

Skip Stiller Speedworks (NSSCRA Second Tier)
20 Sage Caldwell | 22 Pyotr Lavrentiev (S13 Champion) | 30 Lexi Patterson

Champion:
IBC 20, 22, 23, 24 (Basketball)
NSCAA 11 (College Basketball)
IC7 II, VI (7ball)
Arena Bowl VI (Arena Gridiron)
NSSCRA 9 (Stock Car Racing)

Runner-up:
World Bowl 42 (Gridiron)
NSSCRA 10, 12, 13

Bronze:
IBC 19

YOU JUST LOST THE GAME!

Arrosia, baby

Banguela
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Banguela » Mon May 23, 2016 7:32 am

Ok, I’ve got to admit that if you’ve absolutely demolished the opponent, if everything went according to plan and the interviewer hardly has a clue what’s going on but stands in awe, then a post-game interview can be some sort of fun.

”Mister Radeba,” he opened and note the ‘mister’, ”what a spectacular, I’ld even say humiliating, victory against one of the defining sides of the world stage!”

I tried not to get too cynical with the gloating after our opening loss in the back of my mind and replied with the respect the Sanctii deserved.

”All who saw this game, noted it was much closer than the result might make you suspect. So especially after such a battle, you must be delighted at managing to stay upright.”
”What was for you the decisive moment of the match? When did you believe that the boys could make it?”

First of all, those are two very different questions with replies that have little to do with one another. If I would be fully honest, that would have been my reply but the national press doesn’t like to receive the kick in the groin they deserve, so…

”When I saw the images of their game against Ethane. Even if they went out in two games, they demonstrated exactly what’s possible if you put the right pressure at the right time.”

If you get the interviewer to reply with an ‘ehm’, you know you’ve done well.

”Ehm… How, ehm,” two ‘ehm’s should give you bonus points, ”as I see it, the plan worked out exactly as designed.”
”No plan ever does. I don’t believe that. You can draw a line across a map to a port across the ocean but the only reason the vessel doesn’t sink is because the crew is steady, knows the plan but also how and when to improvise.”

Look, I’m just handing him the build-up for…

”To continue your nautical reference, was it the captain that kept the boat afloat tonight?”
”Joao Vicente showed his value once more, excellent display, but the only way we can keep up with sides like this is when everyone gives a mathematically impossible percentage of themselves. I wanted a lot of pressure on Lucas Cornificius and Lucia Cornelia and we never allowed them to develop high shot tallies. With them covered, you put the centres one against one and I think everyone will agree when I say that Garzao played a key role there. He shows why, despite some public calls, no one within the team has doubted him.”

As blatant a lie as could be, having hesitated to field him myself. Only the shaky form of his replacements kept me from benching him but when things turn out well, history is the ground captured by the victors.

”We did see Joao Vicente leave the pitch early, will he play tomorrow evening?”

About that… With four minutes left and the win against a disoriented opponent sealed, he had given me a nod that told me enough. Wise enough to limp a little once walking off, giving me the chance to say…

”He got hurt in an innocent duel at the ankle, the physio is working hard with him. It’s too early to say anything yet, but of course we hope he’ll be able to join us for the second leg.”

Well, judging from the blood in his vomit and the way he ached for air once in the dressing room, my hopes were far below zero he’ld star for us tomorrow evening. But Joao had proven everyone wrong before and his tendency to pull off the impossible with a certain flair gave me some confidence.

”About that second leg, what’s the prospect? You’ve got the higher ground now.”
”It’s like free throws.” meaningful silence to puzzle the audience, ”In theory, you’ld say, well, two chances that should work out. But it’s not that easy, not by far. Especially when you have to do it on the biggest stage of them all, under the highest pressure. We know the Sanctii have enough skill and experience to come up with a Plan B by tomorrow and then it will depend on… Luck, I guess.”

Aaaaaaaaaand… Now I walk off, hosting a big smile. Sometimes they’re fun.
Last edited by Banguela on Mon May 23, 2016 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saint Kanye
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Saint Kanye » Mon May 23, 2016 7:15 pm

THE KARDASHIA KIBITZER

PREDICT IBC 20 RESULTS, GET RICH

by Edgardo Montez

St. Kanye's biggest gambling website in terms of revenue, UBetcha.stk, in cooperation with the Kibitzer, is offering Kanyean basketball fans a chance to win two million Coinyes by predicting the results of the upcoming 20th International Basketball Championships semifinal and final rounds. Participants must be able to guess who will advance, how many games each series will take, who will win each game, as well as the final scores for each game. If you are a Kanyean citizen, 18 or older, and registered user of UBetcha.stk (barring site employees and their relatives up to the second degree of consanguinity or affinity) who have spent at least 100 Coinyes in the site, then you are eligible to join for a fee of 50 Coinyes per bracket you submit. Visit the address https://www.ubetcha.stk/ibc20challenge.php and construct and submit your bracket from there. But you must act fast - submissions will no longer be accepted after the opening tipoff of the first semifinal game. For additional details and rules, please visit https://www.ubetcha.stk or see posters and print ads.

Take the Glorious Free Republic's #1 newspaper with you anytime, anywhere! Visit us at http://www.the-kardashia-kibitzer.stk.
18 Jeremiah Brooke (S9 Champ, S13 Runner-up) | 27 Stacie Houston (S7 Champ, S12 Runner-up) | 46 Thea Alvarez (S10 Runner-up)

Champion:
IC7 II, VI (7ball)

Runner-up:
World Bowl 42 (Gridiron)
NSSCRA 10, 12, 13

Bronze:
IBC 19

YOU JUST LOST THE GAME!

Arrosia, baby

Ceni
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Mon May 23, 2016 8:14 pm

Cutoff.

8:22 AM <drawk> Ceni 66-100 Royal Kingdom of Quebec (Royal Kingdom of Quebec wins series 2-0.)
Abanhfleft 67–77 Saint Kanye (Saint Kanye wins series 2-0).
Frenline Delpha 63–77 Ko-oren (Ko-oren wins series 2-0).
Saintland 87–90 Banguela (Banguela wins series 2-0).
Last edited by Ceni on Tue May 24, 2016 6:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Air Terranea | The Wanderlust Guide to Ceni | Seven Restaurants in Seven Days: Cataloging Cenian Food
NSTT #1s: Lonus Varalin, Ardil Navsal (singles), Gyrachor Rentos, Val Korekal, Elia Xal/Fia Xal (doubles)
Baptism of Fire 61
Cup of Harmony 63
Copa Rushmori 41
<Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

Saint Kanye
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Saint Kanye » Tue May 24, 2016 5:29 am

THE KARDASHIA KIBITZER

IBC 20: SURGE SEND REBS HOME; COACH BREWSTER HOPES IT'S NOT TO BOOS

by Ray Wright

NEW OXFORD - When the Abanhfleft Rebolusyonaryos' campaign in the 19th International Basketball Championships was cut short with a Quarterfinals Game 3 loss, 69-72, to the St. Kanye Surge, members of the losing Fleftic team came home from Valladares to an angry crowd hurling insults and trash at them. Kanyean head coach Paulie Brewster remembers reading about the incident, calling it "disheartening and disrespectful, not only of the players but also of all their efforts." One season later, in IBC 20 in Ceni, Coach Brewster now wishes for the Rebolusyonaryos to "not come home to the same level of abuse they endured last season" after they were beaten by his Surge, 77-67, and again eliminated in the quarterfinals, but one game earlier. "They [Rebs] did their best, tried as hard as they could. They're not jokers, since making it to the top eight teams of the tournament is no joke. I don't see why their countrymen don't understand that", the 50-year-old Brewster said. Asked about his own team's performance, he replied "Of course I'm also proud of my boys. They said they'll use their height, and they kept their word. The Surge is not a team that makes empty threats. They have the ability to do whatever it takes to win."

Marc Stevens and Frederic Trichet led the Surge with a dozen points apiece. The Rebs' Christian Morada, replacing injured captain Leonidas Baxter, had twenty-three points and seven assists, but he fouled out just 9:20 remaining in the fourth quarter, which was when the game truly slipped away for the Fleftics.

Jason Morrigan once again started at center for St. Kanye; Abanhfleft likewise had a new starter at the position in Argentine Damian Gonzalez, who was wearing a protective mask after being elbowed by the Surge's Billy Forrest in the nose on two separate occasions in the previous game. The other starters for both were unchanged, but the smaller Fleftics weren't getting trapped in the Kanyeans' double and triple-teams that often compared to the previous game, wriggling free on several occasions to keep on pace with their opponents. They even led at the end of the first, 18-19.

Surge assistant coach Bernard Foley, a defensive specialist, then drew up different formations for the team, which they used to confuse the Rebs, forcing eight turnovers from them in the second quarter. The bench was also utilized; Kanyean sixth man Stevens scored six straight points at the end of the quarter to give his team a 39-35 advantage at halftime. The Fleftics kept within striking distance with the help of Morada, Gonzalez, and co-captain Newton "Newt" Isaacs, and even finished the third quarter with a 10-2 run to get back to within one, 55-54 Surge. At the start of the fourth, Morada could've given his team the lead back with a three, but he was whistled for his fifth and final foul, a charge against Mikael Larsson, which was met with an uproar from the pro-Abanhfleft crowd. With Morada gone, St. Kanye harassed their opponents both offensively and defensively, allowing them only thirteen points to their twenty-two for the final score. University of New Oxford Gymnasium had 3,219 Kanyeans among the people watching the game.

The Surge now await the winner of the Royal Kingdom of Quebec Grim Reapers - Ceni Snakes matchup, whose Game 2 is being played at presstime. Quebec currently leads the tournament hosts one game to nothing. The other semifinals pair is already set - the Ko-oren Dragonflies versus the Banguela Os Bestas, with the former putting an end to the Frenline Delpha Anacondas' amazing underdog run, 77-63, and the latter denying the Saintland Sanctii a shot at a fourth championship, with a 90-87 heartbreaker. Whoever the Surge face, they will be the designated away team, and so they will start the series off in purple. Both series will be played at the City Centre Arena in Ceni's second city.

SKYNET (Saint KanYe NETwork) Sports Channel 12 will broadcast both series of the IBC 20 semifinals live. They are also broadcast live online at http://www.skynet.stk/12-sports/ibc-20. IBC fan stories can be submitted at http://www.the-kardashia-kibitzer.stk/ibc/fan-stories. We will notify you via email if your story has been selected for publication.

Scores:

ST. KANYE 77 - Stevens 12, Trichet 12, Blackwell 9, Morrigan 8, Overton 7, Forrest 6, Smith 5, Gatson 4, Larsson 4, Philips 4, Page 3, Warner 3.

ABANHFLEFT 67 - Morada 23, Isaacs 13, Gonzalez 10, Barry 7, Harris 4, Kapowski 3, Mankiller 3, Ipatiev 2, Taylor 2, Fara-on 0, Jalandoni 0, Wydeman 0.

Quarters: 18-19, 39-35, 55-54, 77-67.

Champion:
IC7 II, VI (7ball)

Runner-up:
World Bowl 42 (Gridiron)
NSSCRA 10, 12, 13

Bronze:
IBC 19

YOU JUST LOST THE GAME!

Arrosia, baby

Ceni
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Tue May 24, 2016 6:26 am

HOST ANNOUNCEMENT: Since none of the series needed a third game, I will be advancing the schedule by one day. We will now be back on our original schedule.
Baptism of Fire 61
Cup of Harmony 63
Copa Rushmori 41

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Tue May 24, 2016 7:16 am

FOUR TEAMS LEFT

Union of Ko-oren / The Dragonflies
The Dragonflies are in the final four once again, for the fifth time. They weren't present in the semis in the last IBC, but before that, Ko-oren was on a 4 consecutive semifinal run. They've also made the finals four times, but only won it once (losing twice to Saintland and once to Cosumar).
The Dragonflies got to the semis through solid basketball, defensive and never caught off-guard. The scores were not that high, they never are. Highly professional on and off the field, you'll never catch a Ko-orenite saying something stupid that'll be taken out of context ([citation needed!]). Tactical and clinical, there's not much that they will do for the romance and the storyline around the game. Even the write up about this team is a little stale. That said, Ko-oren is the most established team of the final four of IBC 20, and seeing how some prolific teams have gone out during this tournament, that's not a good position to be in.

Banguela / Os Bestas
Banguela eliminated Saintland, a longstanding rival of Ko-oren. The Sanctii have beaten us way more often than we won against them, so we're very happy with their loss. The scary thing is that if Saintland is out, that means there is a team even stronger than them, in this case, Os Bestas. And we're off to face them next. Part of us wanted a Saintland-Ko-oren semifinal, but actually this is way better. Banguela entered the tournament not as a favourite, but grew to a fan favourite quickly and they've earned it with two stellar appearances against the three-time champions. Os Bestas were never at this stage of the tournament before, and they will want to impress even at this point. Of the four remaining teams, Banguela is the one that is keeping basketball, well, fun. The others only take it way too seriously.

Saint Kanye / The Surge
The Surge is the team of stars. They're all talented, nobody knows where their ceiling is, but don't forget, the coaches are due a massive compliment as well. There's more tactics to this team than meets the eye, but it's easy to forget that if all you see about this team is the flashy flash (teehee) logo and ecstatic fans. The growth of this team is insane, if you remember that IBC 19 was their first one, they immediately got third place there, and now they're back again to show it wasn't a fluke. You didn't need to remind us it's not a fluke, we know you're good and we're a little scared of you. If the Dragonflies' level slowly drops and we can't achieve much more, our money is on Saint Kanye to take Saintland's old place as the one team in basketball. Last time, they lost the semis and played Quebec for third place. So much has changed! Saint Kanye is now... playing Quebec... again... but this time for a place among the top two instead of three.

Royal Kingdom of Quebec / The Grim Reapers
Quebec is that other great rival of ours. Nobody would've thought that northwestern Atlantian Oceania would harbour this much talent ever since Andossa Se Mitrin Vega's team stopped showing up (even if they were talented at soccer, not basketball). And you might almost forget that Quebec is on a semifinal streak like the Surge is: the Royal Kingdom was among the final four in IBCs 19 and 18, but finished fourth in both tournaments. Last time, it was because the Surge, actually. Whatever happens, we want our final series of the IBC to be against Quebec, be it in the final, be it in the third place playoff. We want Quebec to beat everybody, then play us and lose.

Quarterfinals
Quebec disposed of Ceni, the hosts, in the previous round. In a game that was delayed a little, and the result of this game was known much later than the other games in the same round, Quebec was the only team to break one hundred points. Every single series needed just two games in the best-of-three. Saint Kanye beat Abanhfleft twice, Ko-oren eliminated Frenline Delpha in two and Banguela got rid of those annoying Sanctii in two as well. That last game was even decided by three points: a lucky three by a Saintlander would have seen them take it to overtime and possibly a game three. I think we're speaking on behalf of everyone when I say that I'm super happy that didn't happen.

The first games of the quarterfinal were all miles apart. Quebec scored 26 more points than Ceni, Saint Kanye had 23 to spare over Abanhfleft, Ko-oren won by 31(!!!) and Banguela had 19 points more than Saintland.

Earlier this tournament, Quebec beat Drawkland to get here. Saint Kanye faced Cosumar, that other nation that once kept us from winning an IBC, so thank you again, Surge. We had Kirisaki in the Round of 16, and Banguela faced the Sword Bloke. Banguela was also the only nation left in the IBC who needed a third game in that series.

tl;dr
Saint Kanye is scary, Ko-oren is boring but still in the tournament again, Banguela beat Saintland and that makes us happy, and then there's Quebec that is on their way to a third consecutive fourth place. The IBC is almost over and Cosumar and Saintland, thorns in our sides, are out. The knock-outs have been one-sided, but that's ok, I guess.

the tl;dr is tl;dr
Go Dragonflies!
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Abanhfleft
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Abanhfleft » Wed May 25, 2016 1:25 am

Abanhfleft head coach Abdul Halim bin Osman speaks to reporters during the post-game press conference.

"Coach Osman, Harold Ullman from CNN Sports. Would you mind telling us your impression of game 2 of your quarterfinals series against Saint Kanye?"

AHO: Well, what's there to say? Saint Kanye overpowered us once again. We trained to work our way out of their overload tactics, but the effort has tired all of us. Also, whenever we get on a good run by taking advantage of them getting tired of their overloading, they seemed to get all their energy back and continue their overloading. I just can't explain it. We had a bare lead going into the second quarter, just one point, and for these guys it was probably easy-peasy to overcome that tiny, tiny deficit. After that, we never really got into the game. We'd make a 14-0 run to get close to finally taking the lead, and then the Surge switch back on and pull away once again.

HU: Coach, would you say that this tournament has been another disappointment for Fleftic sports?

AHO: A disappointment? Hardly! We played really hard in this International Basketball Championships, and it's a real shame that we had to be drawn against Saint Kanye, who are one of the most aggressive teams left in the competition when it comes to proving a point. I'd call this campaign a disappointment only in the sense that we didn't show much more fight than we did on the court today trying to force game three. I think we did a good accounting of ourselves today, as opposed to the last few tournaments we've played in.

HU: Leo Baxter. How is he, and how will he be taking the team's elimination from the competition?

AHO: Leo's doing fine. He's well on the way to recovery. In fact, he could have appeared for game three, if we had one. But there's not, and while I hesitate to say this in public, I feel that he blames himself for us losing two straight after going on an impressive unbeaten record with him in the side. But I told him not to think about it. It's not his fault. We've got capable backups in every position. We could've won the game, and possibly the series, if only we had just as much energy and intensity as our opponents.

HU: Christian Morada. He certainly lit up the boards after stepping in for Baxter, but would you consider him a player for the future?

AHO: Certainly. Why do you think I included him in the selection pool for this IBC? If his performances for the Military Academy don't tell the tale, then certainly his time as Leo's backup will tell you everything you need to know.

HU: Thank you, Coach. No more questions.

AHO: Next.

"Ray Wright for the Kardashia Kibitzer, Coach Osman. I have a few questions for you."

AHO: Sure, go ahead.

RW: Coach Paulie Brewster of the Surge said that the way you and your players were treated by your home fans after coming back from Valladares for IBC 19 was, and I quote, "disheartening and disrespectful", and he also added that he wishes that you and your team won't return to the same kind of abuse because of the Surge eliminating you for the second straight time. Your thoughts on this?

AHO: Well, for me, I've had experience playing basketball in Abanhfleft, and I know that the people are just passionate and mad about the sports, so much that I've grown to have a thick skin when it comes to insults. It comes natural for the Fleftics. Every basketball team which has tried so hard and come so far but in the end came back with nothing always gets abuse from the fans. If you live long enough in Abanhfleft, it will become white noise to you. You'll get used to it. I know that because I've experienced it firsthand. Also, this time, I'm not worried about my boys getting slagged off by the fans. I daresay that you Kanyeans should be on the lookout for angry Fleftic mobs.

RW: Would you care to expand on that last one, Coach Osman?

AHO: It's simple, really. We played well out there, even though your bunch may have played better. That makes us, in the eyes of our fans, the new good guys. And your Surge just became the bad guys, at least in the Fleftic fans' opinions. Be careful when you go out there. Fleftics love basketball and will stay to watch the whole tournament even after we've been eliminated, but expect a lot of jeering from them if they end up watching a Saint Kanye game. Oh, and prepare to be hit by batteries and coins and that kind of detritus. Thank you, that will be all.

Abdul Halim bin Osman stands up and leaves the press conference.
Coach Osman's response to Abanhfleft's elimination from the 20th International Basketball Championships was decidedly more reserved and controlled than the tweet posted by Rebolusyonaryos vice captain Newt Isaacs following the end of the game.

CRESCENT NEWS NETWORK
SPORTS CHANNEL - OFFICIAL WEBSITE

ABANHFLEFT • PRIDNESTROVIAOONTAZ DERT LI NGCOPPER CUPRUMTRENDSTARTFHULGHAMOUS PENINSULA

FLEFTIC FANS BURN SAINT KANYE FLAGS FOLLOWING QUARTERFINALS ELIMINATION

By Harold Ullman

Fleftic fans burn Saint Kanye flags following the national basketball team's defeat against the Saint Kanye Surge in the quarterfinals of the International Basketball Championships. (Courtesy of Crescent News Network Sports Channel/Andros Tasasa)

NEW OXFORD, CENI - A group of Fleftic basketball fans calling themselves "The Sixth Man" have burned flags of Saint Kanye after the Kanyeans eliminated Abanhfleft from the quarterfinals of the 20th International Basketball Championships, held in Ceni.

Cenian authorities rushed to quell both the protests and the fires from the burning flags, but as the fans were rounded up, more than a dozen flags and jersey of the Saint Kanye Surge were already burning in front of the fans.

"We've had enough with fucking Saint Kanye!" said a fan who wished to remain unidentified. "Just because they were the Cinderella story of the last IBC doesn't mean that they could continue shitting on us like they did last year!"

"Saint Kanye's tactics are very, very questionable," said Aldo Thomson, a self-described lieutenant of so-called "The Sixth Man". "In fact, the overload tactic is very questionable in itself. It doesn't matter whether your players are tall or short; if you play overload, you don't give your opponents a level playing field. And that's what Saint Kanye did. They didn't give our boys in blue a level playing field by overloading them, and that's why they advanced at our expense, something that they don't deserve. If they want to prove to the multiverse that they're really one of the best b-ball teams in the 'verse, then drop your overload tactics and play real basketball!"

Another lieutenant of TSM, who agreed to a statement to CNN Sports under conditions of anonymity, said that there was another, much deeper reason why they had committed the flag desecration. "We want to show the world that there is something very, very wrong going on in Saint Kanye," he said. "We want the world to know that Saint Kanye's rise through the basketball rankings is not a natural phenomenon, and that the Kanyeans are being aided by whatever kind of aid that they could possibly get. Substance abuse, doping, blood transfusions... those are just some of the many explanations why this unknown team suddenly took third place and became the 10th best nation in basketball. In fact, I believe it's not just substance abuse. They're bribing officials, okay? Chris[tian] Morada should not have fouled out during the last game. Cedric Phillips flopped, okay?"

When asked why his group had only spoken out now, and not during the last IBC, he told CNN Sports, "We didn't have evidence before. But we do now. We know now that there is a unilateral campaign across the entire multiverse whose only purpose is to deny Abanhfleft any shot at a sports trophy. And that's why we're going to be disrupting all of Saint Kanye's games until they admit that they've done us wrong, and that they've done everyone wrong. We won't rest until the likes of Saint Kanye and the United States of Saints are stripped of their ranks and awards."

The burning of the Saint Kanye flags took place just minutes after Abdul Halim bin Osman, head coach of the Abanhfleft Rebolusyonaryos, the national basketball team, had told reporters during the post-game press conference that Saint Kanye and its players should be prepared to experience the wrath of angry Fleftic mobs, and there are speculations that the fan protests were started under the unofficial urging of members of the national basketball team. The Rebolusyonaryos' case is certainly not helped by the fact that Newton Isaacs, standing in as vice captain for Leonidas Baxter, who was still recovering from knee surgery, sent out a tweet following game 2 in which he stated, "Fuck the Surge, fuck the Yeezies, and fuck the IBC," with the hashtags being repeated by members of so-called The Sixth Man.

At least ten Fleftic fans involved in the flag burning have been detained by the Cenian authorities, and their fates are currently pending, but it is assumed that the fans will be deported and made persona non grata, meaning that they will never be allowed back into Ceni.

"They can deport and PNG every Fleftic in Ceni right now, I don't care," Aldo Thomson of so-called The Sixth Man said with regards to his comrades' fates. "More of us will just keep coming here and booing Saint Kanye and supporting all the other teams still left in the tournament. But not Ko-oren. They're involved in the conspiracy against Abanhfleft too."

CNN Sports would like to reiterate that all opinions mentioned in this piece are opinion and not facts, and that the Democratic Republic condemns the actions of its citizens involved in the flag burning in Ceni.

Here's a little parting gift from the Democratic Republic. RP my fans doing everything they can to boo Saint Kanye and Ko-oren and support Banguela and Quebec.

Oontaz Dert Li Ng
Copper Cuprum
Trendstart

Saint Kanye
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Saint Kanye » Wed May 25, 2016 10:06 am

THE KARDASHIA KIBITZER

IBC 20 PLAYOFF PREVIEW: SEMIFINALS EDITION

by Ray Wright

Another round of the 20th International Basketball Championships playoffs has passed, and we are now down to our Final Four. The quarterfinals round was rather short, as all four winners swept their opponents, which meant that no do-or-die third games were needed. We end up with two matchups of established competitors in the international stage versus up-and-coming national teams; it is one pair's first time to bump heads in the hardcourt, not so much for the other one. Included in this preview are TV broadcast schedules for the games, while online (http://www.skynet.stk/12-sports/ibc-20), both games are broadcast live unless specified.

(1) Royal Kingdom of Quebec Grim Reapers vs (5) St. Kanye Surge

St. Kanye's national team is coming on strong right now, but they must silence the haters. They incurred the wrath of fellow hoops-crazy nation Abanhfleft after the Surge overwhelmed the Rebolusyonaryos and booted them out in the second game of their quarterfinals series. And then, there's the supporters of their semis opponent, top-seeded Quebec (who absolutely tore down the host Ceni Snakes in their own matchup), the hooligans known as the Bubonic Plague. Things are sure to get physical for these two teams, who meet each other for the first time since the IBC 19 third-place playoff series won by the Surge.

Broadcast: Live @ SKYNET Sports 12

(7) Ko-oren Dragonflies vs (6) Banguela Os Bestas

Ko-oren, the best basketball-playing country in the world. is a prime example of the saying "Defense wins games": they may not be dropping a hundred on their opponents, but they get the job done with steals, blocks, traps and error forcing. Will that be enough to stop Os Bestas ("The Beasts") of Banguela, main man Joao Vicente, and shrewd strategist Coach Luis Radeba, who have become a hot topic in the world of international basketball after showing powerhouse Saintland the door in their very first playoff appearance?

Broadcast: Live @ SKYNET Sports 12

IBC fan stories can still be submitted at http://www.the-kardashia-kibitzer.stk/ibc/fan-stories. We will notify you via email if your story has been selected for publication.

Champion:
IC7 II, VI (7ball)

Runner-up:
World Bowl 42 (Gridiron)
NSSCRA 10, 12, 13

Bronze:
IBC 19

YOU JUST LOST THE GAME!

Arrosia, baby

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Wed May 25, 2016 2:43 pm

OOC: A very short RP, since I have to go to dinner with a good friend of mine in college and also had to do a test for my online course.

Oh, no! Morris out- What does this mean for Grim Reapers?

Janet Altenbaum

The official diagnosis on DeAndre Morris confirmed the team's worst fears, as they are expected to face the challenges with the reliable backups on frontcourt.

Speaking on 101.9 FM this evening, team manager Dominic Pietrus said that Morris suffered an ACL injury while practicing for the Match 1 of semifinal series against Saint Kany tomorrow night. With the injury they're expected to have Morris not play for the rest of the IBC and even worse, blow away the whole QBL season for Ottawa Skyhawks. According to IBC and QBL insider Jean-Luc Lavergne, he will be entering recuperation phase in a month's time and will do his best to get back in time for at least the playoff stage for Ottawa. Lavergne also added that Jean-Henri Tessier and Ian Park are expected to be handling the role as starting centres for the season in a tandem, considering their difference in playing style and deployable situations.

This is a catastrophic news for The Bubonic Plague, who expected one of the best-performing players on this competition to possibly overcome the semifinals hurdles (they fell on semifinals the last 2 IBCs, finishing 4th the both times), but are hopeful that their depth of very good players, as well as a possibly risky switch to a small ball lineup will have them at least challenge whomever their next 2 opponents will be. Other starters are healthy and aside from Salman Brennan, whose cancer diagnosis has surprised many right before the quarterfinals, the bench remains deep and rolling, giving people at least minimal hope for the semifinals series against Saint Kanye.

With the sidelining of Morris, whose injury history is fairly evident and long, Pietrus can also search for the possible change in team strategic plan to small ball/big-man lineups, or start the search for a possible replacement down the road. With the likes of Pierre-Ian McArthur and Ho Yeon Jang in collegiate level, they are in good chances to develop them for national team mold and contend for greater reaches under same model that's made them successful for a while.

Morris's 20-point, 14 rebound performance in Game 2 blowout victory against Ceni, he showed why centres are very important in basketball. Even if the emergence of small-ball and other strategies may challenge the centres, they ultimately are the ones delivering the win. Without Morris, and if neither Sims nor Gogsselin doesn't deliver as expected, the Grim Reapers will be in great trouble the rest of the way.

We are not suggesting that the clock is ticking on Morris, but it will be interesting to see what will happen with the situation of centres in this and upcoming International Basketball Championships. Knowing this team, they will have to find one very soon.
WORK IN PROGRESS: The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere: Megathread!

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Ceni
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Wed May 25, 2016 7:29 pm

Cutoff for the semifinal matches!

Royal Kingdom of Quebec 66–87 Saint Kanye
Ko-oren 83–75 Banguela

Both nations lead by 1-0 in their series.
Last edited by Ceni on Wed May 25, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baptism of Fire 61
Cup of Harmony 63
Copa Rushmori 41

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Wed May 25, 2016 10:50 pm

IBC 20: Referee got shot and riots on streets following Grim Reapers Game 1 Loss

Alexandre Hitchens

CITY CENTRE, CENI -
You may have thought the mess was over with Abanhfleft getting eliminated in Quarterfinals. Well, apparently no.

The series of on-court refereeing controversies led to an off-court disaster as the referee presiding the match was shot after the game. This was then followed by a massive riot by The Bubonic Plague, whose massive legion of armed, hyperactive fans went into the court and streets of the city.

Like the incident a couple of days ago, the Cenian authorities attempted to stop the rioting of the self-proclaimed the most violent fanbase in the multiverse, but their numbers were far too great as they took a long time to be rounded up and be stopped, causing significant damage within and areas surrounding the City Centre Arena. Injuries, burnings and arrests all racked up, while injuries have racked up on both policemen and The Bubonic Plague, as well as Kanyean fans who couldn't get out of stadium in time.

"Gotta agree with my Fleftian comrades here," said Jean-Pierre Williams, a high-ranked officer of The Bubonic Plague in his alias as he raised his fist. "I don't give a fuck if my team does badly or not. This assault, through improper refereeing, is a pure offence to our eyes and deserves this punch. Bribing officials ain't a way to go, and we'll show it!"

A visiting fan, a low-ranked member of Fleftian organisation TSM, agreed with the sentiment. "Some of the calls we've seen here are clearly phantom and shouldn't have happened. How do you not see Trichet punching Ejim, and what the fuck's with Overton getting free throws when he's kicked Kigab on mouth? How the hell did Sassou and Lorne [Scrubb] getting fouled out? Are you kidding me? The ref deserved the shot. We are tired of this and will show this tonight!"

The City Centre Arena riot occurred right after the final whistle rang on the Surge's win over Grim Reapers to close out one of the most controversial IBC matches in recent history. In the match where two Quebecois players have fouled out and Coach Tordoloff getting kicked out of the match, the Grim Reapers have struggled to really break the imbalance in calls given and lost 66-88. This was not it though, for obvious reasons. Following the whistle, a round of boos came from one half of the court as 8,000-strong contingent of The Bubonic Plague threw garbage, bottles and all sorts of stuff into the court for 5 minutes. But that was not it, as some of the Bubonic Plague members seemed to have brought guns in the stands.

The referee, whose name and nationality is not revealed to provide anonymity and protection, was shot dozens of times over and over by the angry Quebecois over his poor presiding over the match. This immediately caused all personnels involved to evacuate by the organisation committee, which they did so. The Bubonic Plague was not into injuring those who were not responsible for this after all. After the personnels involved left, tear gas bombs went off inside the arena, causing the court and few rows on the front to be flooded with enraged Quebecois. There some of them were rounded, but many of them went out of their way to avoid the tear gas and went into the streets. Their TSM comrades joined in the protesting and together The Bubonic Plague went into the surrounding districts of the arena as they burned Kanyean jerseys and much more stuff after.

It took around 3 and half hours before all the Quebecois and Fleftic fans involved in the riot was detained by the Cenian authorities. At least 800 of them have been detained and are expected to be deported back to Quebec or Abanhfleft. Those not involved, however, were given their free pass back to their hotels/residences.

The headquarters of The Bubonic Plague has declined to comment, but will make their decision on the matter soon.

True North Channel and the Royal Quebecois Government would like to state and reiterate that the nation condemns the actions of those Quebecois supporters in the City Centre Arena Riot and will take measures according to the procedure.
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Wed May 25, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Saint Kanye
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Saint Kanye » Thu May 26, 2016 1:46 am

THE KARDASHIA KIBITZER

VIOLENCE OVERSHADOWS SURGE'S SEMIS GAME 1 WIN OVER QUEBEC

by Dante Dinkley

CITY CENTRE - "We're hated now. Two nations [Abanhfleft and the Royal Kingdom of Quebec] after our heads. But we'll be strong, we'll survive, one game at a time. And we have our own fans. Their cheers will be louder than any boo from anyone else. Let the detractors do their worst - they may have broken all those teams they beat, but not us. Not on my watch."

Those were the words of St. Kanye Surge head coach Paulie Brewster, in a press conference held back in their hotel at Ceni's City Centre, which was opened only to Kanyean and Cenian media. The boys in purple and lime earned their very first win in an international semifinals series, 87-66, over the 20th International Basketball Championships' top seed Grim Reapers of Quebec. This apparently didn't sit well with the notoriously violent supporters of the latter, called the Bubonic Plague, who together with the Sixth Man, support group of the Abanhfleft Rebolusyonaryos team that the Surge earlier eliminated, started burning flags and jerseys of the Glorious Free Republic and rioting in the city streets. Hundreds were injured, and many Fleftics and Quebecois were arrested and deported. The referee of the Surge-Reapers match, who shall remain unnamed to protect his identity, was shot many times after the game, and later died in the hospital due to sustained injuries. 27-year-old Kanyean Enzo Soler said, "Quebec's team should be disqualified. Look at all the trouble their fans caused. If you can't handle defeat as a fan, don't watch. As a player, don't f---ing play." Soler suffered several bruises when a Bubonic Plague member intentionally ran him over with his bicycle before the game even started. Meanwhile, Cenian police had to escort the Surge in and out of City Centre Arena because of the threats; security shall also be heightened in and around the arena, as well as the team's hotel.

Only 1,421 Kanyeans were present during the game, with many leaving early and still many others opting to just stay and watch the event at their hotels. James Blackwell and Darren Overton, the Surge's two co-captains, combined for 36 points against the Grim Reapers, who were without starting center DeAndre Morris due to an ACL injury. The Quebecois were simply overwhelmed and "perhaps a bit overconfident, being IBC 20's top team", in the words of Kanyean assistant coach Bernard Foley. They only made 42% of their total shots and had 17 turnovers compared to the Surge's 59% and 11 turnovers. A late third-quarter ejection for Quebecois head coach Alexander Todorloff and five early fouls on stars Lorne Scrubb and Denis Sassou didn't help things much; the rest of the team managed only nine points in the fourth quarter, which ended, like Abanhfleft's IBC 19 homecoming, with boos and trash.

SKYNET (Saint KanYe NETwork) Sports Channel 12 will broadcast both series of the IBC 20 semifinals live. They are also broadcast live online at http://www.skynet.stk/12-sports/ibc-20. IBC fan stories can be submitted at http://www.the-kardashia-kibitzer.stk/ibc/fan-stories. We will notify you via email if your story has been selected for publication.

Scores:

ST. KANYE 87 - Blackwell 20, Overton 16, Trichet 10, Forrest 9, Philips 7, Stevens 6, Smith 6, Larsson 4, Gatson 3, Morrigan 2, Page 2, Warner 2.

ROYAL KINGDOM OF QUEBEC 66 - Ejim 17, Kigab 14, L. Scrubb 10, Sassou 7, Wanyanga 7, D. Scrubb 6, Brennan 2, Gosselin 2, Kim 1, Goh 0, McQuilkin 0, Sims 0.

Quarters: 24-14, 46-31, 67-57, 87-66.

In related news, the anti-Kanyean comments posted by Abanhfleft Rebolusyonaryos co-captain Newton Isaacs drew a lot of ire from netizens throughout St. Kanye. Below is a collection of some of the reactions that Isaacs' tweet, since deleted, had gotten:

(OOC: Any resemblance to real Twitter handles is coincidental and unintentional.)

Last edited by Saint Kanye on Thu May 26, 2016 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Champion:
IC7 II, VI (7ball)

Runner-up:
World Bowl 42 (Gridiron)
NSSCRA 10, 12, 13

Bronze:
IBC 19

YOU JUST LOST THE GAME!

Arrosia, baby

Abanhfleft
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Abanhfleft » Thu May 26, 2016 8:48 am

Oops, looks like I started a real shitshow with my farewell post! Let's clear up a few things... here's my "reluctant" part two.

Oontaz Dert Li Ng
Copper Cuprum
Trendstart

Banguela
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Banguela » Thu May 26, 2016 3:50 pm

Dounle post
Last edited by Banguela on Fri May 27, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Banguela
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Banguela » Thu May 26, 2016 4:16 pm

"And now we continue with sports and more specifically the IBC semi-finals where Os Bestas suffered a loss in a majestic confrontation with the Ko-orenite Dragonflies. Most of the attention, however, went to the violent riots after the other confrontation between The Surge and the Grim Reapers. Live for us in Ceni, Rachela Zito."

A rather snazzy starwipe gets the journal to a woman who seems to stand in what could have been a post-combat battlefield.

"It was a dark night for basketbal tonight or at least it would have been if it weren't for the large piles of purple and lime flags burned by the Bubonic Plague. We talked to Eze Barongo, a compatriot who acccidently wound up in the incidents."

Quick switch to someone in a hospital bed with an exaggerated amount of bandages around anything but his face.

"Yeah... I shouldn't have been there but I had been looking for tickets for the game. And then I met some guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a girl who knew a guy with tickets. I thought the massive red and flag would have given away what team I was rooting for but anyway I ended up wrong. So... Anyway, pretty tense game at first. Saint Kanye dominated but every time Quebec could have gotten back into it, it was as if it wasn't meant to be."
"Do you mean, like, corruption?"
"This isn't Banguela... I doubt it at this level. Just the ref in a bad day. Well, a very bad day, in hindsight. It all got rowdy and I got pressed between lines of Quebecois and courtside. I don't know how I got out!"

Back to Rachela, who did some sort of miracle switch between the streets and the stadium which only showed the poor montage skills of her crew.

"Earlier that night, Os Bestas lost against a strong Ko-oren. Without their injured captain Joao Vicente, absent for mysterious reasons, our team quickly got behind. They never managed to overturn the ten-point gap despite an inspired Rui Dekotele, good for twenty-three points. Manager Luis Radeba talked about 'David and Goliaths' after the game."

The final words were for a visibly exhausted head coach.

"I think no one can blame the guys, they did their utter best. But even David only needed to beat Goliath to become king. We've slayen two now with Electrum and Saintland - I can't expect any more miracles. But with a few new plays and hopefully at least fifteen to twenty minutes for Joao Vicente, we'll make sure that Os Bestas will leave the court with their chin up high!"

Ceni
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Thu May 26, 2016 5:58 pm

Who will advance to the final? Who will force a third game? We find out soon!

Royal Kingdom of Quebec 84–73 Saint Kanye (Series tied at 1-1.)
Ko-oren 83–68 Banguela (Ko-oren wins series 2-0).
Last edited by Ceni on Thu May 26, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baptism of Fire 61
Cup of Harmony 63
Copa Rushmori 41

Saint Kanye
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Saint Kanye » Thu May 26, 2016 9:21 pm

THE KARDASHIA KIBITZER

IBC 20: REAPERS STAY ALIVE, FORCE SEMIS GAME 3 VS SURGE

by Claude Harlan

CITY CENTRE - The Royal Kingdom of Quebec Grim Reapers were quick to repay the St. Kanye Surge's favor of handing them their first loss yesterday by turning them back 84-73 today, Game 2 of the 20th International Basketball Championships semifinals. This set up a deciding third game to see who gets to advance to the finals against the Ko-oren Dragonflies, who earlier defeated Banguela's Os Bestas 83-68. The Kanyeans played amidst a sea of taunts from Quebec's supporters, the Bubonic Plague, as well as the supporters of the Abanhfleft Rebolusyonaryos, the Sixth Man. The latter group earlier denied their involvement in the riots that struck City Centre because of yesterday's Game 1. More Kanyeans were able to enter City Centre Arena because of the heightened security (2,358, with others still watching at hotels), and the Surge team itself didn't have to resort to police escorts. Even with the win, Reaper fans didn't go rioting again; this is likely due to fear of getting arrested by the authorities.

Frederic Trichet led the Kanyeans with 15 points, two rebounds and four assists, but his and the rest of the team's production was not enough to stop the Quebecois. He told reporters after the game, "The atmosphere today is not as uneasy as yesterday; we endured all the opposing fans' taunts, but then the team [Reapers] itself, they were hell-bent on paying us back for beating them yesterday." Felix Kigab led the winning squad with 19 points, five assists and a steal. Lorne Scrubb, who fouled out yesterday, was only whistled once today; he finished with twelve points, a rebound, six assists and two steals.

The Surge got the first points of the game, even leading 8-3 before it was closed down to 12-10. They and the Reapers were on pace for the whole first quarter, which was tied at twenty apiece; St. Kanye's James Blackwell missing a go-ahead three at the last second. The game was still close in the second, with both teams merely exchanging baskets, but the Quebecois hit more threes than the Kanyeans en route to a 41-36 halftime lead. The Reapers then fired on all cylinders in the third, making some scoring runs and pulling away whenever the Surge tried to catch up. They had their biggest lead of the game at sixteen, 3:57 left in the quarter, with power forward Daniel Scrubb, Lorne's brother, dunking over two defenders in white for a 64-48 lead. The Surge brought in their bench, who pulled them back to within a dozen at the end of the quarter, 70-58, and even only six with 3:23 left in the fourth, 76-70, but one last run for the Quebecois ensured that the tournament top seed won't get swept in the semifinals.

"We need to step up more. Next game is a do-or-die. We may fall there and fight for third again, but of course a spot amongst the top two is better. Today we shall review game tape, see what we did right and what we did wrong, likewise with the opponents, and work with that on our game plan", said Surge head coach Paulie Brewster. The Surge will wear black alternates for Game 3.

SKYNET (Saint KanYe NETwork) Sports Channel 12 will broadcast the IBC 20 semifinals Game 3 live. It is also broadcast live online at http://www.skynet.stk/12-sports/ibc-20. IBC fan stories can be submitted at http://www.the-kardashia-kibitzer.stk/ibc/fan-stories. We will notify you via email if your story has been selected for publication.

Scores:

ROYAL KINGDOM OF QUEBEC 84 - Kigab 19, L. Scrubb 12, Ejim 10, Sassou 10, Gosselin 9, Kim 8, D. Scrubb 6, Brennan 3, McQuilkin 3, Wanyanga 2, Goh 0, Sims 0.

ST. KANYE 73 - Trichet 15, Blackwell 11, Forrest 11, Philips 8, Overton 7, Gatson 5, Page 5, Stevens 4, Larsson 2, Morrigan 2, Smith 2, Warner 1.

Quarters: 20-20, 41-36, 70-58, 84-73.

Champion:
IC7 II, VI (7ball)

Runner-up:
World Bowl 42 (Gridiron)
NSSCRA 10, 12, 13

Bronze:
IBC 19

YOU JUST LOST THE GAME!

Arrosia, baby

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Fri May 27, 2016 1:07 pm

The Day the IBC Stopped Being About Basketball

The Dragonflies make short work of Os Bestas with an 83-75 victory followed by an 83-68 win. The second game in the series was even more gigantic. The Dragonflies kept the score low, hit threes, and stopped Banguela.

We won't lie, the other teams in the semifinals have gripped the international headlines far more than we have. The Royal Kingdom of Quebec and Saint Kanye, basically, but also Abanhfleft, and meanwhile the authorities of the host nation have stopped the Bubonic Plague, or at least those members of the horrible 'fans' that went crazy on the first night. There were also some Fleftics involved, and the incident has completely overshadowed the later stages of the IBC. One referee has been brutally murdered, many have ended up in hospital and the police of Ceni were busy until the early hours of the next day.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, together with the Ministry of Healthcare and Sports, is looking at the situation all the way from the Capital Territory, and currently considers the safety of those fans in Ceni. After all, there is a 50% chance that we face the Royal Kingdom in the final, which will most likely not be pretty. We share a history with Quebec and also a region, and let's not forget the rivalry in many sports. In case we play the Surge, that means the Bubonic Plague knows about a big event where their two most hated teams are both present, which also carries a risk.

You'd almost forget there was basketball. Quebec turned the third game of the series into a winner-takes-all-game, as they won the second 84-73. Saint Kanye won the first semifinal 87-66 with some controversial decisions by the referee, which has started this mess.

You'd also almost forget there were two semifinals. In relative peace and quiet, the Dragonflies won both their games against Banguela. Os Bestas were mentally cracked after the first game. They faced many great teams so far and now were up against another giant, and the team broke down mentally in the second game. Despite this, they left the tournament proudly. The second game was played with a lot more (visible) security, to the point where armed guards and military were present around the court and in the stands. It's a shame the IBC has come to this, and no matter Ko-oren's final result in this tournament, it won't be as sweet as previous achievements.

Back to basketball: the Dragonflies hit 52% of their field goal attempts, marking the fifth time out of six knock-out series' games where the team has scored at least half of their attempts from open play. That's better than any team in the Ko-orenite domestic league, by far. In fact, the team is also dangerously close to the 50% on three-pointers. The guards have been very keen on accurate threes and they are the driving force behind this finals-bound team. What was even better for us, was that the forwards aided the centre so well in rebounds. Banguela lost 18 rebounds to a Dragonfly in their paint, and Os Bestas only managed to collect 5 rebounds near our basket. Blocks and turnovers have been lucky for us as well, but we'll play it off as our team being supreme in defence and efficient all around the court, maybe it'll intimidate our opponents.

All this didn't stop from the Ministry of Healthcare and Sports from dropping the worst slogan of the decade on us: "Do to asbestos what the Dragonflies did to Os Bestas". Point taken, and it's a perfect anagram to boot.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Fri May 27, 2016 5:39 pm

OOC: Four hour exams are depressing, especially if you get a question about a work that's bloody complicated to understand. ICly this is set 4 months before the IBC, as it's supposed to be the Quebecois equivalent of A-Level or SAT exams. Enjoy!

Exam Paper

Question 10 — Poetry  (25 marks)

b) Gabriella R. Mah, Saint Clinton

In the context of your critical study, to what extent does your response to the poems of
Saint Clinton epic by Gabriella R. Mah inform your judgment of this poem and the "supposed
crucification" of Lewinsky, as well as Mah's poetry and his style as a whole?

The Prescribed Poems are:

- Gabriella R. Mah, Saint Clinton
Lewinsky's Innocence Proven
Give Friend At Least A Recommendation
Maharaja Clinton
Hypocrisies of Gingrich and His Horned Hats
Hillary's Fault
Wedding of Hillary and Donald

It was the very night after his final High School Examinations exam when Xavier-Luke Monighan found himself on his vehicle. His hands were shaking, as he struggled to keep his focus under intoxication, in middle of the goddamn highway. There were barely anyone on the highway right now, a fact that shouldn’t surprise anybody given that it’s not one of the bigger ones connecting Halifax to Sydney or Moncton or Pictou. This was just a minor one along the south coast. Just the way he liked the drive and final journey to be.

It was only few hours ago that he attempted to solve it all, right in front of his high school auditorium as he came out of the Literature exam with a pale, horrified face. Knowing that his academic hopes were more or less dead, he attempted to take care of his hands with his Tecs. Unfortunately, or fortunately, the gun didn’t end up working well for him, as he came to realise that it only shot blanks, thanks to whoever took bullets away from him the very morning of. Now, in his car, the Harvey 812 sat in the trunk, where it’d rest. He had no use for it anyway- there were better ways to do the deed rather than to resort. It was as damned as William's fate and journalists who tried to demonise Mme. Lewinsky for what anybody with common sense would do.

“As the gingerhaird man walked along the isle,
He saw the stout, proud Yellowhead standing with a grime face,
But they didn’t care of their contrasts and differences,
For love was greater carved in stings and blades,”

His life and miseries were getting to him. Like a Punjabi lasso, it was as evident as grips that were holding him to the neck, onto his once-youtuful face. There were no laughter lines nor any signs of organic happiness remaining in it, for all the former features of that were long gone by then. It wasn’t as if he had to show them in fakeness anyway- he was no teenager who had multiple things on his life to carry on with. Those signs were really seen by anyone nowadays, given the high stress level.

Unlike the others, however, there was no escape for Xavier-Luke. No place nor other news he could rely on to provide better outlooks of what’s already a very depressing life he’s been living through. He was a loser, with no friends nor followers around him; though bullying didn’t occur to him, people avoided him at all cost, leaving him in a position that he wanted to get out of, but was unable to.
His grades were barely passable for university programs he wished to go, and screwing up on HSCs more than not hampered his chances to get in academically. And it wasn’t like he was that talented nor involved in extracurriculars or athletics, or even with connections either- so he was really screwed. With no options remaining on other fronts of things, as well as damage he’s been handling over the last few years (it’s another story, reader, will get to it sometime), he felt that he was free to let go.

“No matter what the situation may stand between us, they said,
Our sentiments to each other are bound forever,“

Goddamn it! He said to himself as he chugged yet another bottle of Lager and hit the gas. Xavier was now thinking over what happened back in his Literature exam. In the cold, windy realms of school gymnasium, he was left to fend for what seemed like an eternity in 4 hours. The questions, one after another, didn’t seem to be too difficult, but there obviously would be one exception that’d hit in an exam, every single year. Some years it’d be in one’s physics or chemistry exam. Last year? Psychology. This year it happened to strike on Literature, with the schoolchildren asked to provide analysis on Saint Clinton series by Gabriella R. Mah. Unfortunately, he was not prepared and as a result Xavier was left with the poem he’s provided with but had no way in figuring out. Not only it was beyond Year 12 level, it was also impossible for anyone to bullshit through right on sight. Xavier-Luke eventually figured out the poem series and finished, but it was too late- 2 hours had gone by and he had to leave out a couple of questions and barely answer the other 2 parts of the exam.

“That’s Donald and Hillary on the Arch,
Looking as if they were meant to be forever. Attendees call
This sight a wonder in itself: the Hallowed halls
Cheered with its ghosts present, and there they stand over the perch.”

What took me so long? How is this marriage of Hilary and Donald even realistic, compatible nor reaistic in first place? They didn’t have Nothing makes sense He complained about the very material while listening to a slow death metal tune from the 1990s. He didn’t know where it came from, but assumed that it’s part of his metal collection.

Suddenly, Xavier saw 2 circles of lights from distance. Originally he thought they were nothing. But then they were getting bigger and bigger, until it was way too close for the driver to turn around. Xavier, in a matter of seconds, turned his wheels to the left, to the cliff and then to the Atlantic Sea…..

“For once the yin and yang before us,
Meet now into the eternal place,
To enter into the world of harmonies
And may the Amerique be peaceful and fair,

Forever more, Amen.”
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Fri May 27, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Happy 420 Friends!

Ceni
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Fri May 27, 2016 5:44 pm

Cutoff for the third game!

Royal Kingdom of Quebec 64–102 Saint Kanye
Last edited by Ceni on Fri May 27, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baptism of Fire 61
Cup of Harmony 63
Copa Rushmori 41

Saint Kanye
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Saint Kanye » Fri May 27, 2016 9:15 pm

THE KARDASHIA KIBITZER

IBC 20: SURGE GET TITLE SHOT WITH BIG WIN VS. QUEBEC

by Ray Wright

CITY CENTRE - "This is it. We said we'll step up after yesterday's defeat, and we did. We're now assured of a higher finish than last year's bronze, which is a good thing, but we're still not assured of a title, since we battle the world's top team in Ko-oren in the finals. They rely on their excellent defense. Bernie [assistant coach Bernard Foley] and I will be working with the boys to crack that D, and work on our own and on offense, of course. An IBC crown would be a great ending to a phenomenal second year of international play, right?" said St. Kanye Surge head coach Paulie Brewster to a panel of Cenian and Kanyean journalists back at their hotel, just less than an hour after what he calls "the Surge's best performance of the 20th International Basketball Championships so far", a 102-64 blowout of the Royal Kingdom of Quebec Grim Reapers. Security, consisting of Cenian police and armed forces, was again tightened around City Centre Arena for fear of another riot by Quebec's infamous, violent supporter group, the Bubonic Plague. Thankfully, there was no such riot reported.

James Blackwell had a stellar performance, with 26 points on 8-for-10 field goal shooting and a perfect 6-for-6 at the line. He also grabbed four boards, dropped four dimes, and had two takeaways, while Darren Overton had a double-double of 18 points and twelve rebounds. Tyson Ejim topscored for the Reapers with 13. The Surge went on an early rampage, making their first seven shots for a 17-5 edge with 4:36 remaining in the first quarter. The second quarter started with both teams benching all of their starters; the Kanyean backups proved far superior as they made the lead grow to nineteen, 49-30, at halftime. The Quebecois had simply no answers for the Kanyeans' offense and defense throughout the rest of the game. A very frustrated Lorne Scrubb fouled out with 5:07 left in the third, having scored only six points on 3-for-14 shooting and 0-for-2 free throws, plus four turnovers, with the Surge up by a huge margin, 65-38. Short runs by the Reapers got them back to within a low of fifteen on several instances throughout the rest of the third and much of the fourth. Blackwell capped the massacre with a Hail Mary from halfcourt in the game's dying seconds, giving the boys in black alternates their first ever triple-digit performance.

"We're wary of Ko-oren. As a legitimate threat to their basketball supremacy, they probably have us marked since day one", Blackwell said. "I know how strong their defense is, but we saw videos of their last game, the one that vaulted them into the title series. They're pretty accurate shooters, too. And quick, especially the females." Kanyean attendance at City Centre Arena has risen yet again, 2,662, still far below the pre-Game 1 riot high of 3,219, but it's expected to improve once the series moves back to the Surge's group stage venue, the Cenial Pavilion. As the higher seed, the Surge will start the finals off in their home whites.

SKYNET (Saint KanYe NETwork) Sports Channel 12 will broadcast the IBC 20 finals live. It is also broadcast live online at http://www.skynet.stk/12-sports/ibc-20. IBC fan stories can be submitted at http://www.the-kardashia-kibitzer.stk/ibc/fan-stories. We will notify you via email if your story has been selected for publication.

Scores:

ST. KANYE 102 - Blackwell 26, Overton 18, Forrest 10, Philips 10, Trichet 9, Larsson 6, Morrigan 5, Smith 5, Stevens 4, Gatson 3, Page 3, Warner 3.

ROYAL KINGDOM OF QUEBEC 64 - Ejim 13, Kigab 12, Gosselin 11, Sassou 7, D. Scrubb 6, L. Scrubb 6, Kim 4, Wanyanga 3, Goh 2, Sims 2, Brennan 0, McQuilkin 0.

Quarters: 26-16, 49-30, 81-43, 102-64.
Last edited by Saint Kanye on Fri May 27, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Champion:
IC7 II, VI (7ball)

Runner-up:
World Bowl 42 (Gridiron)
NSSCRA 10, 12, 13

Bronze:
IBC 19