NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Gaelic Football Association (NSGFA) OOC

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ethane
Minister

Founded: Sep 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ethane » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:22 am

United Vietussia wrote:On the note of this new format, I feel we should reset rankings when we promote/demote. We could keep an all-time standing, but for each cycle of championships, I say we reset our standings for the new cycle. Any objections?

Disagreed. Rankings shouldn't be reset at every championship. I'm not really sure about the format either. I feel it would be better to let the host to decide the format.
Esportivan and Proud.
<drawk> If the entirety of the nation of Ethane was covered in a single cubic foot of Ethane on its surface, lighting it all on fire would cause a 5.44 megaton blast.
Best WorldVision Finish: 2nd. Best World Cup Finish: Quarter-Finals. Best KPB Rank: 8th. Best WBC Finish: 1st.

United Vietussia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 09, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Vietussia » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:25 am

This format is like a grand scheme. Plus, do you ever see sports where they keep the same standings for each season?

My idea incorporates a chance for more teams to compete with the chance to move up to a tougher competition for each cycle. Rankings reset would be needed for promotions/demotions.

In fact, for placement, I am thinking about after the Olympics to host a huge tournament for placement into the three divisions.

Ethane
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ethane » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:01 am

United Vietussia wrote:This format is like a grand scheme. Plus, do you ever see sports where they keep the same standings for each season?

My idea incorporates a chance for more teams to compete with the chance to move up to a tougher competition for each cycle. Rankings reset would be needed for promotions/demotions.

In fact, for placement, I am thinking about after the Olympics to host a huge tournament for placement into the three divisions.

1) Right, so the format would be an overriding thing?
2) The problem with having more teams competing is that you actually need the teams to fill the gap
3) Why would rankings resets be needed for promotion/demotion? Just because a team was to, for example, be demoted from the premier league to the championship, it doesn't mean they move back to square 1. Yes, roleplay does need to be factored in for this, in a big way, but surely it would be better to do like 'ranking tiers', where there is a maximum rank you have in a certain tier, so for example, if you were in the premier league, and had a rank of say 10, and then you were demoted to the champions league, the 'maximum rank' for the champions league would be like 6, so the rank of that demoted team would be 6, just as an example, and a suggestion.
4) I still can't see how this '3-tier' structure is going to work?
Esportivan and Proud.
<drawk> If the entirety of the nation of Ethane was covered in a single cubic foot of Ethane on its surface, lighting it all on fire would cause a 5.44 megaton blast.
Best WorldVision Finish: 2nd. Best World Cup Finish: Quarter-Finals. Best KPB Rank: 8th. Best WBC Finish: 1st.

United Vietussia
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby United Vietussia » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:07 am

Ethane wrote:
United Vietussia wrote:This format is like a grand scheme. Plus, do you ever see sports where they keep the same standings for each season?

1) Right, so the format would be an overriding thing?
2) The problem with having more teams competing is that you actually need the teams to fill the gap
3) Why would rankings resets be needed for promotion/demotion? Just because a team was to, for example, be demoted from the premier league to the championship, it doesn't mean they move back to square 1. Yes, roleplay does need to be factored in for this, in a big way, but surely it would be better to do like 'ranking tiers', where there is a maximum rank you have in a certain tier, so for example, if you were in the premier league, and had a rank of say 10, and then you were demoted to the champions league, the 'maximum rank' for the champions league would be like 6, so the rank of that demoted team would be 6, just as an example, and a suggestion.

First off, I am putting this matter to a vote. The vote is closed to board members only, and will be sent out via TG. The vote will close near midnight CST on February 16th.

1) Not sure I understand the question.
2) There can be off-days included for teams. We did this in the first GFWC when there were 7-team groups where there were 3 matches and an off team. There can be any number of teams. This organizing tournament is a good idea for it can help us organize the three divisions. If there are too few teams, we can limit to 2 divisions.
3) Promotion/demotion would be in place as an incentive for competition and to keep RPing.
4) Take a look at this. The top 3 divisions resemble the hierarchy I wish to impose. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_league_system#The_system

Ethane
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ethane » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:11 am

United Vietussia wrote:
Ethane wrote:1) Right, so the format would be an overriding thing?

First off, I am putting this matter to a vote. The vote is closed to board members only, and will be sent out via TG. The vote will close near midnight CST on February 16th.

2) There can be off-days included for teams. We did this in the first GFWC when there were 7-team groups where there were 3 matches and an off team. There can be any number of teams. This organizing tournament is a good idea for it can help us organize the three divisions. If there are too few teams, we can limit to 2 divisions.
3) Promotion/demotion would be in place as an incentive for competition and to keep RPing.
4) Take a look at this. The top 3 divisions resemble the hierarchy I wish to impose. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_league_system#The_system

1) Don't worry about the 1st question.
2) I guess yeah it's just I don't know how many teams we would get.
3) That is actually a good way of making people rp. Are you suggesting a thing similar to the NSCF? Is it similar in format to that?
4) You're basing it off of the Premier League (Leicester City are doing great :)). I can see how that would work, just not with the numbers that are in the RL leagues obviously. Ok, I think I understand better now.
Esportivan and Proud.

United Vietussia
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby United Vietussia » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:28 am

Ethane wrote:
United Vietussia wrote:

1) Don't worry about the 1st question.
2) I guess yeah it's just I don't know how many teams we would get.
3) That is actually a good way of making people rp. Are you suggesting a thing similar to the NSCF? Is it similar in format to that?
4) You're basing it off of the Premier League (Leicester City are doing great :)). I can see how that would work, just not with the numbers that are in the RL leagues obviously. Ok, I think I understand better now.

All but 3 are answered I believe...

3) Not really. NSCF has only one division. But they do offer incentives for RPing.

Silvacometopia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Silvacometopia » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:12 pm

I still believe the host should sort this out.
GFWC III RUNNERS UP
GFWC III HOSTS
NSGFA MEMBER, RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT

United Vietussia
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby United Vietussia » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:59 pm

Silvacometopia wrote:I still believe the host should sort this out.

The host still runs the tournament.

Silvacometopia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Silvacometopia » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:50 pm

United Vietussia wrote:
Silvacometopia wrote:I still believe the host should sort this out.

I know, but it should be their decision on how the tournament is run.
GFWC III RUNNERS UP
GFWC III HOSTS

Frenline Delpha
Senator

Founded: Sep 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Frenline Delpha » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:24 pm

Silvacometopia wrote:
United Vietussia wrote:

I know, but it should be their decision on how the tournament is run.

I think the point is to have a uniform way to organize how this tournament is ran, so that people know what to expect when they put up a host bid.
I don't know how long I'll be back, but I just thought I'd stop in and say hi, at least.

Ethane
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ethane » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:46 pm

Frenline Delpha wrote:
Silvacometopia wrote:I know, but it should be their decision on how the tournament is run.

I think the point is to have a uniform way to organize how this tournament is ran, so that people know what to expect when they put up a host bid.

I can see the advantages and disadvantages of both sides.
You would allow the host a more free reign on how to run the tournament if there was no uniform structure.
But then having a uniform structure would make the organisation of the tournament a whole lot easier, and simpler overall.

I say we go with United Vietussia's idea, but keep in mind other options if the system doesn't work out all that great.
Esportivan and Proud.

Silvacometopia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Silvacometopia » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:51 pm

Ethane wrote:
Frenline Delpha wrote:I think the point is to have a uniform way to organize how this tournament is ran, so that people know what to expect when they put up a host bid.

I can see the advantages and disadvantages of both sides.
You would allow the host a more free reign on how to run the tournament if there was no uniform structure.
But then having a uniform structure would make the organisation of the tournament a whole lot easier, and simpler overall.

I say we go with United Vietussia's idea, but keep in mind other options if the system doesn't work out all that great.

I guess we could try it for our next edition, I'm still putting in a bid.
GFWC III RUNNERS UP
GFWC III HOSTS

Ethane
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ethane » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:54 pm

Silvacometopia wrote:
Ethane wrote:I can see the advantages and disadvantages of both sides.

I guess we could try it for our next edition, I'm still putting in a bid.

Yeah, if it doesn't work out, then we can change the format back to something else, such as letting the hosts decide it.
Esportivan and Proud.

Silvacometopia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Silvacometopia » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:56 pm

Ethane wrote:
Silvacometopia wrote:I guess we could try it for our next edition, I'm still putting in a bid.

Yeah, if it doesn't work out, then we can change the format back to something else, such as letting the hosts decide it.

Just waiting for confirmation then?
GFWC III RUNNERS UP
GFWC III HOSTS

Ethane
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ethane » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:59 pm

Silvacometopia wrote:
Ethane wrote:Yeah, if it doesn't work out, then we can change the format back to something else, such as letting the hosts decide it.

Just waiting for confirmation then?

I believe that we got a vote sent through to our Telegrams?
Esportivan and Proud.

Silvacometopia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Silvacometopia » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:01 pm

Ethane wrote:
Silvacometopia wrote:Just waiting for confirmation then?

I believe that we got a vote sent through to our Telegrams?

Yeah, we did.
GFWC III RUNNERS UP
GFWC III HOSTS

Ethane
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ethane » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:07 pm

Silvacometopia wrote:
Ethane wrote:I believe that we got a vote sent through to our Telegrams?

Yeah, we did.

Just had a look at the results so far, and it seems to be a dead heat
Esportivan and Proud.

Silvacometopia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Silvacometopia » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:43 pm

Ethane wrote:
Silvacometopia wrote:Yeah, we did.

Just had a look at the results so far, and it seems to be a dead heat

Should've had less specific options.
GFWC III RUNNERS UP
GFWC III HOSTS

Ethane
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ethane » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:15 pm

Silvacometopia wrote:
Ethane wrote:Just had a look at the results so far, and it seems to be a dead heat

Should've had less specific options.

I guess.
Esportivan and Proud.

United Vietussia
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby United Vietussia » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:50 am

Results of Divisions and Placement Tournament Resolution:

Yes, and the divisions are a great idea. 1
No, I think the divisions aren't a great idea, either. 1
No, but the divisions are a good idea. 1
Abstain. 2
Base divisions on current rankings, then add more teams in a placement tournament. 1

Consensus: Divisions are a good idea, but hesitant on placement tournament.

United Vietussia
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby United Vietussia » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:00 am

What do you guys think of the logo I made?

Silvacometopia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Silvacometopia » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:32 pm

United Vietussia wrote:What do you guys think of the logo I made?

I like it, but it needs more purple! :p
GFWC III RUNNERS UP
GFWC III HOSTS

United Vietussia
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby United Vietussia » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:59 pm

Silvacometopia wrote:
United Vietussia wrote:What do you guys think of the logo I made?

I like it, but it needs more purple! :p

Hmm...I wonder what makes you think that... ;) :p

Silvacometopia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Silvacometopia » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:38 am

United Vietussia wrote:
Silvacometopia wrote:I like it, but it needs more purple! :p

Hmm...I wonder what makes you think that... ;) :p

Please don't kick me out Vietussia...
GFWC III RUNNERS UP