NATION

PASSWORD

The World Bowl Discussion Thread (OOC, version II)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Allamunnic States
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Allamunnic States » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:03 am

Hello, lovely folks!

I realize this is a little off-topic, but I'm finishing up my undergraduate studies, and part of that is a research project. My topic is on sense of community in virtual communities (like NationStates). I was wondering if I could enlist your all's help in conducting this research.

If you're interested, the survey link is here. It should take no longer than fifteen minutes to complete (and realistically, even less time than that).

No pressure; the whole thing is anonymous. I will have no way of knowing if you decided to take it or not, and I won't be angry or anything if you choose not to.

Either way, thanks everyone, and I'm looking forward to World Bowl XVIII!
Part of the Ajax Role-Playing Community.
Stay apprised of developments in Ottonia
Political Compass
Six-Time World Bowl Champions (XVI, XVII, XIX, XXIII, XXV, XXVII)
WLC VII & X Champs (WLC VI, XI & XIII Runners-Up)

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:51 pm

I filled it out, sounds like a great topic for a research project!
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:46 pm

I sent a response too - very interesting!
Qualified: World Cups 54-59, 62, 73-83
President, World Lacrosse Fed.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III
2nd Place: AOCAF 57, NSCF 13, WBC 34, WLC 12/19/23, AOHC VI, Arena Bowl V
3rd Place: AOCAF 55, CoH 45 & 62, WLC 18 & 24, BoI VI

Host: WC 78 & 82, CoH 69 & 74, BoF 62, World Bowl 27, WLC 20, Beach Cup II & V
NEWSWIRE
Your friendly neighborhood Metalhead
Last.fm | RYM | Essential Cosumarcore
Political Compass
U of Texas grad livin in NC
Dallas sports
Secularist, Environmentalist, LGBT/BLM/feminist ally, Whovian
Author, Issue 319: Sizing Up The Competition

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:18 pm

Is anybody planning to step forward and bid? I can't do it due to RL computer issues on the computer with xkoranate and general inexperience?

I'm assuming the bidding period will be extended, too?

EDIT: Looks like we're going to need a new president. What's the procedure for that?
Last edited by Kaboomlandia on Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Allamunnic States
Diplomat

Postby Allamunnic States » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:10 pm

Sorry, hadn't checked this lately. Has Saintland CTE'd?

If so, I'm VP, so in the meantime, I'll run the sign-ups. Ordinarily, I'd offer to host, but this is crunch time right now for school, and I'm not even sure I'll be able to participate to my usual standards, much less host.
Political Compass

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:24 pm

Allamunnic States wrote:Sorry, hadn't checked this lately. Has Saintland CTE'd?

If so, I'm VP, so in the meantime, I'll run the sign-ups. Ordinarily, I'd offer to host, but this is crunch time right now for school, and I'm not even sure I'll be able to participate to my usual standards, much less host.

Saintland is fine, but he's completely retiring from NS from the time being and resigned his presidency. IBC is in a similar pickle (without a president, but they do have a host unlike us).
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Allamunnic States
Diplomat

Postby Allamunnic States » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:30 pm

Well, I can at least fill in as President, so we should still be able to run things smoothly. The thread hasn't been terribly active, so I'd hazard a guess that folks haven't seen it much on the front page lately.
Political Compass

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:11 am

Just out of curiosity, how long does your cycle run?
Co-Author of SC #204

Allamunnic States
Diplomat

Postby Allamunnic States » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:23 pm

A few months, I'd say. It's not a fixed amount of time; it's the time from the opening of sign-ups to the conclusion of the World Bowl. That's a cycle. The President and VP are elected to serve for two cycles.
Political Compass

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:02 pm

Allamunnic States wrote:A few months, I'd say. It's not a fixed amount of time; it's the time from the opening of sign-ups to the conclusion of the World Bowl. That's a cycle. The President and VP are elected to serve for two cycles.

I thought it was something like that.

Anyways, a more pressing issue: the 22nd is tomorrow, and we still don't have a host bid put in.
Co-Author of SC #204

Allamunnic States
Diplomat

Postby Allamunnic States » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:40 pm

Not sure. The apparent lack of interest in hosting in general is rather concerning. Again, I'd offer to do it, but I'm not going to really have time until mid-December. Only thing I can think of is to extend it further until we get a hosting bid.
Political Compass

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:29 am

It's going to be hard because before you know it, it's Christmas and I doubt many of us will have time around those days. I'd host but I know RL is going to hit pretty soon (before I'd get a chance to complete the tournament) so I don't want to commit to anything right now.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:39 pm

This may sound drastic, but should we put the signups into "suspended animation" until the New Year? Basically, all signups stay frozen as they are, but we don't take bids until after Christmas.
Co-Author of SC #204

Osarius
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Osarius » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:33 am

Kaboomlandia wrote:This may sound drastic, but should we put the signups into "suspended animation" until the New Year? Basically, all signups stay frozen as they are, but we don't take bids until after Christmas.

Might help, tbh. I imagine interest in american football spikes around NFL playoffs/Super Bowl time. I know we used to sometimes try and time NSCF signups at specific points in the year for similar reasons.
Monarch: Alexander III | First Minister: Mathieu Lupin | Population: ~125 million | Capital: Burningham, Mount Crown
Civilisation Index: 13.43 • Tier 7, Level 2, Type 5
Current Project(s): a discord scorination bot, and a football manager knock-off

Useful NSSports Stuff | RabaSport.net

||A Loyal Citizen of Wakanda||

Allamunnic States
Diplomat

Postby Allamunnic States » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:36 am

That's why we've typically tried to line-up at least one with U.S. Thanksgiving, since that's traditionally a reasonably big day for gridiron. That said, if there is a consensus that we'd be best-served by suspending this cycle until closer to New Years, we can certainly do so.

I'm personally a little leery of it, but I cannot really think of a good reason to not do so. So if there is a consensus among the World Bowl Committee that that is the best course of action, I am certainly willing to do so.

EDIT:
Essentially, what I would do in that case, if it is acceptable to all of you, is basically edit all of the deadlines in the current thread to later in the year (I'd shoot for, say, December 28th, since things usually have slowed down a bit by then), and just occasionally bump the sign-up thread so people can continue to sign-up, if they are interested in doing so (and will give people more time to consider hosting bids).
Last edited by Allamunnic States on Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:10 pm

That would work, yeah.
Co-Author of SC #204

The Sword Bloke
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sword Bloke » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:37 pm

Or pause it until a bid comes, which will hopefully come around the US Wintertime.
IBS Ranking: 16th
KPB Ranking: 80th
WBC Ranking: 44th
IBC Ranking: 27th
WCOH Ranking: 21st
RP Population: 38,000,005
Esportiva, It's the place.
GO CAVS!
10th WJHC Host & Champion 10th IBS 4th Place

Trumpostan
Minister

Founded: Sep 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumpostan » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:33 am

This looks interesting.
I do not support Donald J. Trump
Inverted Flag Law: US Code Title 4 Section 8 Paragraph (a): The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
The United States of America has been in a state of dire distress since November 8, 2016. Flying the flag upside down is not only our right, it is our duty!
Make Maine Massachusetts again!

Allamunnic States
Diplomat

Postby Allamunnic States » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:24 am

The Sword Bloke wrote:Or pause it until a bid comes, which will hopefully come around the US Wintertime.

That's... basically just rephrasing what I said.
Political Compass

Frenline Delpha
Senator

Founded: Sep 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Frenline Delpha » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:21 pm

I'd be willing to put up a bid if I can get someone interested in co-hosting.
I don't know how long I'll be back, but I just thought I'd stop in and say hi, at least.

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:40 pm

I will be making a bid. The scorination will start at the earliest 19th of December though, for my exams end a couple of days before.
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WORK IN PROGRESS: The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere: Megathread!

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Allamunnic States
Diplomat

Postby Allamunnic States » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:30 pm

Welp, get it written up, then, and we'll take a look.
Political Compass

Rennidan
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 06, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Rennidan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:35 am

Hey everyone, long time no posts.

Looking forward to trying to get active in here again.

Anyone know how many years in-world would have passed between WBII and the forthcoming iteration?

Also sup Fanboy, how's Powis' dead body doing?

Frenline Delpha
Senator

Founded: Sep 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Frenline Delpha » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:20 pm

Rennidan wrote:Hey everyone, long time no posts.

Looking forward to trying to get active in here again.

Anyone know how many years in-world would have passed between WBII and the forthcoming iteration?

Also sup Fanboy, how's Powis' dead body doing?

I feel as if I am missing context for that statement. :roll:
I don't know how long I'll be back, but I just thought I'd stop in and say hi, at least.

Allamunnic States
Diplomat

Postby Allamunnic States » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:58 pm

Welcome back, Renn!

Well, Rennidan, we never really established what the IC length of time associated with a World Bowl cycle was, but I work from the assumption that it's annual. So... 26 years, by that reckoning.

And I've got Owen & Co. still floating around the AGL, through two retcons. XD

Frenline, the explanation is that one of Rennidan's long-time characters is employed in the Allamunnic States' domestic gridiron league.
Political Compass

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports