NATION

PASSWORD

World Cup 69 RP Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Antoletia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Antoletia » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:00 pm

As he watched the game the manager grew more and more furious at his team. Their attacks lacked clarity, their finishing lacked form and their effort lacked, well, effort. He knew something would have to be done, a grandiose attempt at fixing their play before the two looming big games. Then, with the result all but decided it came to him. Give the scrubs a chance.

"Butler."

"Yes Manager."

"I have an idea for how to beat Legalese."

"And how do you presume we manage that?"

"We put in the B team."

"The B team, but half of them haven't even finished puberty, and the other half has never been good for more than 20 minutes."

"Yeah, but they didn't lose 5-1 in the first matchup with Legalese."

"But it's absurd, you're out of your mind."

"But really, don't we need something crazy. Crazy enough it just might work?"

"More like, crazy enough it just might get you fired."

"I'm willing to let that happen."
World Cup Qualifications - World Cup 58, World Cup 66, World Cup 67, World Cup 69 (Quarter-Finals)

Taeshan
Senator

Founded: Aug 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Taeshan » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:37 pm

"I can't even."

"What sir?"

"I literally can't even."

"I think you mean figuratively."

"No I literally can't even."

"That's bad grammar."

"I'll show you what bad grammar is."

"Will you?"

"I think you mean can i."

"No i don't."

"Well let's agree to disagree."

"I can not."

"You can't even?"

"No, i cannot."

"This is redonc."

"Right."
Champions - Copa Rushmori 22, Cup of Harmony 35, Di Bradini Cup 19, World Baseball Classic 13, Gridiron World Championships (World Bowl 0), World Bowl 34, World Lacrosse Championship 2

World Cup Qualifications-41, 44, 46, 59, 61(RoS), 62(Quarterfinals), 63 (RoS), 64 (Quarterfinals), 83, 84 (RoS), 85, 87

Hosts-Cup of Harmony 55, Copa Rushmori 14, Sporting World Cup 10,
Quidditch World Cup 10, World Cup of Hockey 41, World Cup 87

Sandwich Territories
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sandwich Territories » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:01 pm

OOC: I'm physically ill, emotionally depressed, and using an iPod. The quality will be piss poor.

"The next match will be the biggest football match of the qualifiers for the 69th World Cup for the Boys in Blue."

"Yep, they will be playing against the Québécois at the Parc an Saoirse in a rematch that will most certainly gain some international attention."

"Well, for one, Québécois wanting to attend the game in person will be given the chance."

"And not only that, but the fans in the crowd will be a bit more civil."

"Just a bit."

*Both laugh*

"So...winner takes Group 10?"

"I'd agree with that."

"How about a tie?"

"We'll have to see if Pasarga gets a late shot in then."

"And how will this game turn out?"

" I sense a 2-2 draw coming."

"Sounds about right, old chap. We'll see how that goes tonight."
Member of Kennan
Kennan Diplomat to The South Pacific

Ranked 58th in the World Cup Rankings
Total Olympic Medal Count: 1 (Silver)
Reimsburgh Blues Season 1 KHL Champions
Commissioner of the Kennan Hockey League and the Kennan Premier League
Original Member of the AAFL/AAFA
Reimsburgh Tech Mariners in NSCF
Host of the SBC Bowl, and the Kazarian Cup

Darmen
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Darmen » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:06 pm

Following Special Parliamentary Commission's Report, Foreign Minister Alfredo Albaladejo indicted on several charges

The Judges of the 8th District Federal Court prior to the indictment of those involved in "Riotgate"
Former Foreign Minister Alfredo Albaladejo has been formally indicted by the 8th District Federal Court on counts of offering and payment of bribes, using non-political events for political gain, using events involving the loss of life or property for unlawful personal gain, for conduct unbecoming of a Member of Parliament and a Minister of His Majesty's Government and for bringing the Rechom into disrepute. If convicted, Albaladejo could be ostracized from Darmen for life.

Along with Albaladejo, former County Rogerton officials Paolino Bachmeier and Tel di Caprio, as well as former General Johnnie Stanton, are also facing similar charges. They too, if convicted, could be ostracized as well.

Their trials will all take place in the 8th District Federal Court, and are expected to start within a week. A final verdict is not expected to come quickly, as the four cases are all expected to be appealed several times, no matter what the verdict is in each decision. The cases will likely reach the Privy Council, which serves as the Court of Highest Appeal in Darmen.

Darmeni Soccer Federation to look for new Manager, von Kriesler out after end of Qualifying

With Darmen's 3-5 loss to Valladares, the All Greens have officially been eliminated from contention for a spot in the World Cup. Darmeni Soccer Federation President Timothy O'Donahaue confirmed this morning that current Manager William von Kriesler will not continue with the National Team.

"We would like to thank Mr. von Kriesler for his time as Manager of the Darmeni National Team," stated O'Donahaue at DSF headquarters in Scott City, "but we are not pleased with the direction in which the team is currently headed, and as such, we have decided to begin the search for the next Manager of the National Team.

At this point there is no true front runner for the position, although rumors have surfaced that Petrus Fadius, currently a tactical assistant for the Saintland National Team, has been contacted by the DSF to gauge his interest in the job.

Other Headlines
-Energy Minister tabbed as new Foreign Minister, MP George Kalenda to be new Energy Minister
-NLDP decries decision: "Kalenda as new Energy Minister would be conflict of interest" says van Schorel
-Kalenda Oil stock up ten Credits, DSEM up over B.2,000 on the day
-New study shows that Darmenis are among the most religious in Rushmore
The Republic of Darmen
President: Sebastian Elliott (NLP) | Capital: Scott City | Population: 10.6 mil | Demonym: Darmeni | Trigramme: DAR
Factbook (WIP) | Encylopedia | Domestic Sports Newswire
Champions: CoH 51, CR 13, GCF Test 9, GCF Test 13, WBC 25, QWC 7 Runners-up: CoH 53, CR 10, GCF Test 11, T20C 2, T20C 4, RLWC 10, WBC 42
Third: CR 20, T20C 10, RLWC 20, RLWC 22, R7WC 4, WBC 21, BC 6 Host: CR 9, RWC 18, RWC 26, RWC 35, RLWC 12, RLWC 18, RLWC 22, BC 6, BC 10, WVE 4

Thatius
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Thatius » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:52 pm

After reading through my past RPs, I really disliked where I was going with the plot. Therefore, this story is completely unrelated; just consider my earlier posts an alternate storyline.

Frederikstadt, Thatius

Novak Prakusya leads the nation of Thatius in terms of most World Cup appearances as well as in many other statistics. At thirty years old, he is by far the oldest member of the Thatian National Soccer Team, but with age comes experience, and in that cateogry, Novak certainly does not lack. He has made the roster of the National Team thirteen consecutive years and has been inducted in the World Cup Hall of Fame, the first Thatian in history. As the seasoned veteran strolled through his stylish Frederikstadt apartment in the Senatorial Sector, he took note of all the trophies and medals. He had certainly traveled all over Thatius, winning prizes, tournament trophies, national medals, but the trophy case lacked one thing: a world tournament trophy. Never in his professional career had he won an international trophy with his team, a fact that has bothered Thatians for years. Novak had even been on teams for the Cup of Harmony, AOCAF, and other world or region-wide tournaments, but those too, had never won a trophy. Sighing, Novak realized his dream of hoisting the World Cup would probably never come to fruition, as this would be his last tournament.

Next to the trophy case sat his databank, a large square portal where one is able to search the internet and also see lists of facts. Novak queried: Thatius, World Cup appearances. Smiling, Novak clicked the first entry: Thatius, Baptism of Fire 44. He glanced over several pictures and highlights, which showed his former teammates, including Alex O'Brien and Will Szrolzek, both of whom were coaching premier-league teams. Scrolling down to the results, he saw that Thatius had lost to Euskirribakondara in the Quarterfinals, a thrashing, from what he had remembered. That had ended the Thatian's first international appearance, although it was just the beginning of a mediocre stretch for years to come. A sudden soft bang he heard in the distance, coming from his bedroom. Or his neighbor's apartment, he couldn't tell. They were usually making noise, especially because the homeowners constantly redecorated their apartment.

Novak shrugged off the disturbance and walked slowly to his couch, where he could overlook the vast Frederikstadt skyline. His apartment was every person's dream, containing a sky deck, pool, private gym, among other innovative features. Just recently, Thatius had acquired aerospace technology from a neighboring nation, allowing Thatians to transport themselves via air instead of car. Personal speeders, although only affordable by the richest of Thatians, had become the new craze as of late. Novak was not lost on the craze, as he was one of the first to purchase a speeder from Starfall Industries, who just rolled out the brand new T-51 airspeeder, capable of traveling up to speeds of three hundred miles per hour, specially designed for the also newly designed Thatian airlanes, most of which service Frederikstadt and the surrounding cities.

Novak eyed his silver T-51 Starfall airspeeder, thinking it was time to take it for another spin. The airlanes did not have too much air traffic, as the number of vehicles in the hands of civilians was so low, so Novak was not too worried about missing his meeting he had in just about an hour back at his house. It really wasn't a meeting, however, more of a scheduled appointment with his athletic trainer, who would be stopping by in preparation for the next day's match against Tryienne. As Novak hopped in his airspeeder, he pushed the controls to boot up the engine and ready the hydraulics. Several warnings popped up on the display screen, exclaiming WATCH FOR TRAFFIC and ACCIDENT AT SENATE LANE & 51ST. Pushing the polished, steel steering wheel into drive, Novak jumped into the skylane, watching for traffic from above and below. Driving in the air led to a whole new set of rules and regulations, including watching for cars from all angles, not just behind and in front. This led to more accidents because drivers in the air had no experience whatsoever, and thought they could speed with no regard to traffic.

As drivers entered and exited the skylane, Novak admired the vast beauty of Frederikstadt. A city of only ten years old, it had expanded to nearly seventy million residents as of late, and constantly growing. Builders erected skyscrapers higher than the clouds almost every week, and innovations in technology led to efficient public transportation and highway systems. In the distance, Novak spotted the newly built Senate Building, completely rebuilt over the old one. Things were beginning to change in Thatius. As of late, the government was going under a completely new structure. President Marko Iroskovic had declared the old Council system away and set up a Senate to represent each of the thirty-three Thatian districts. The old seven councilors lost their seats because of the inefficiency plaguing the Thatian government, especially because the people had had enough of not seeing their demands put into action. Thus, each of the Thatian districts recently held elections to determine who would represent them in the newly-formed Senate. There was even talk of expanding that Senate to forty or more seats, as the population of Thatius continued to skyrocket. Novak zoomed in closer to the building. He could see himself as a Senator one day, representing his hometown of Knjaževac, a city located just south of the capital.

Suddenly, Novak's holographic display ringed. It was his coach, Max Djanstchenko.

"I see you're enjoying your new ride, Prasukya. Listen, we have training in two hours, so I want you to stretch and warm-up with your trainer and meet us in the Frederikstadt National Stadium for practice. Bring your black jersey, as we will be scrimmaging. Djanstchenko out."

Always so short and to the point, Novak thought. Realizing it was time to head back, he swerved his airspeeder in the opposite direction, saying goodbye to the under-construction Governmental District. He docked in his ship on his deck, and letting the automatic landing gear do the rest. As he disembarked, a soft tone whistled in his hallway, marking a visitor at the door. After hurriedly changing into more athletic clothes, including his wrinkled gym shorts, Novak sprinted to the door to let his guest in. He expected his athletic trainer, a friend and associate for over five years, to be standing there. Instead, he was met by two corporate security policeman.

"Excuse me, sir," said the tallest of the security police, a balding man with a large, silver gun in his holster. "We were notified of a disturbance just a few minutes ago and were called to investigate."

Novak, clearly puzzled, could not find words. "I'm sorry? I just came back a few minutes ago, I didn't call the police."

"No sir, but your neighbors did," said the smaller of the two men. "Do you mind if we look around?"

"Not at all," replied Novak, gesturing to the rest of the apartment. "Have a look for yourselves."

The two policeman entered, alert for any out-of-place items. They scanned his bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, living room, even his airspeeder (probably impressed that they got to see one so close in person), but found nothing. After shaking their heads at each other, the policeman thanked Novak for letting them in and and were on their way. Closing the door behind the police officers, Novak, still puzzled, continued the investigation on his own. He went back to his bedroom, where he had originally heard some kind of noise when he was reading about the World Cup.

"NO." whispered Novak.

Underneath his bed was the body of his athletic trainer, bloody and motionless from a gunshot to the head.

Chiata
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chiata » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:58 pm

Science or Fiction
Part 10

Z-Day +10

A new spread like wildfire across Chiata. A cure! A cure! The best part yet, it was so simple. All that was needed was mass amounts of White Blood Cells to curb the epidemic. And so, the Chiatan people burst into donation areas, eager to stop the disease once and for all. Once a large amount of blood had been donated, shipments began to flow towards the perimeter around Villitova, nicknamed the Zed Line. 100,000 troops had been mobilized and placed on the line to stop anyone, human and infected alike, from getting across. The Zed Line was a half circle stretching around Villitova with a 100 mile radius. It was estimated that 10 million people had been trapped there. It was estimated 750,000 were infected. Once the cure was distributed to the National Guard, the Zed Line began to tighten around the City and slowly close in. AS they went, the soldiers would give doses of the cure to all the humans they met. The soldiers would attempt to capture the infected, but if this proved to dangerous, they were forced to kill them. Back at his lab, Stephan had tested the cure on an already infected patient, and it worked after 2 hours. Stephan then had given all the infected participants and all of them had come back from being "dead" and were perfectly fine. The most peculiar thing was that they didn't remember a thing.

Z-Day +11

Progress was slow along the Zed Line. Due to the shear amount of people in the area, the half circle could only close in about 5 miles every day. To speed up efforts, the Air Force started dropping in crates of supplies. In each crate was 100 cure doses, 300 dehydrated meals, 3 Jet Boils, and 20 fuel canisters. These drops were affectionately nicknamed "Cure Missiles."

Z-Day +25

The Zed Line had enclosed quite a bit. 7 millions people had already be rescued. 100,000 infected had been trapped and were awaiting treatment. The National Guards was now on the doorsteps of Villitova. Now, it seemed there were more infected than dead in the area. Casualties for the National Guard were mounting. The most recent statistic was that 2,300 had died in the campaign while 4,500 had been evacuated due to infection. However, the 45 hundred did not get to go to world class hospitals as they would be outside of the original Zed Line, which would be far to risky to place them outside of that. Due to casualties, the military had called upon its reservists to staff the outside perimeter and to replace the fallen on the front lines. What awaited them was a gruesome site. Thousands of infected bodies laid out in rows stretched along roads for miles. Even worse, rows of dead soldier covered in the Chiatan flag could be seen. The flag covered the head and torso, but the legs and boots could still be seen. With that friendly reminder, the reservists were pitted into the front where they would fight against their own people to reclaim their capital, which was in ruins.

Z-Day +30

The capital had been conquered! They infected converted back to humanity or vanquished! The disease , Hydro-X had been eradicated, and was no more. But there was a high cost to pay for victory over the disease. The capital had been leveled by its own government, but as a result, an estimated 300,000 infected were killed. The civilian deaths were catastrophic as 1 millions were infected and later killed or were killed by the infected themselves. 200,000 infected had been rescued and brought back to humanity, but at the cost of 5,000 casualties to the military. Chiata was scarred and would never be the same, but would always be prepared.

Stephan traveled down to Villitova to pay his respects to the city. He walked through the ruble of the city, remembering what it was 30 days ago. What used to be cobble streets with loud markets was now a mix of concrete and boulders. What used to be a canal running through the city was now a sludge pool stained with the blood of thousands. Wiry skeletons of skyscrapers rose up from the earth, twisted and contorted, showing scars of the blasts. They used to be shinning buildings covered by glass, but now were only spires: dead and smeared with blood. During his walk, Stephan came across a small tombstone. It was just a sheet of metal but had clear wording on it: Joseph Rentin - 132nd Infantry Division. Below the name was a short verse.

"And when this boy goes up to heaven,
To Saint Peter he will tell:
'Another Chiatan soldier reporting, sir,
I've already served my time in hell."

The crusted earth by the tombstone was given a drop of water produced by a tear.

The End
Member of Esportiva-----KPB Ranking: 29-----Founder of the Runner Cup
Champions: 1st IDLO Ultimate Cup, Runner Cup One
3rd Place: IBC 15
Quarter Finals: CoH 62, CoH 63, CoH 64, IBC 14, CE XIII
Round of 16: WC 69, BoF 52, CoH 66, CoH 67, CE XII, IBC 16, IBC 17
Qualified: WC 76, CoH 58, CoH 60, CoH 65
Playoffs: WC 71, WC 72, WC 73
Highest KPB: 24 (Post WC 69)

San Jose Guayabal
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby San Jose Guayabal » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:00 pm

OOC: Feeling like a Chap today, sorry if I RP this in wrong way, I've read a bit about chaps.

A friends meeting in somebody house, Somewhere, SJG.

Context: A group of friends who attended to a costume party in the style of a Chap, dressed smartly came home to the headquarters of a Chap, the leader of the brotherhood in Chap of SJG, he invite Chaps from all the nation to watch the game of SJG vs Hutt River.

"I said, Chaps! Come to my yard quickly so we can see the game, bring the tea and also some Fish and Chips." Said the leader of the chaps.

Most chaps that were presented in their finery came hastily into the courtyard, where they had a huge screen to watch the game, besides having a space to parade with disfrases and to choose the best.

The reaction of most chaps to see the big screen was "Wot?" Even spilled some tea on the patio by accident.

"What's that, you shed that unfortunate behavior!, Wot." said one of the chaps leaders.

"I did not intentionally, sorry Chap" said one of the newcomers in the party, as he smoked a pipe.

"I said Chaps! Sit down to watch the game," said party host, encouraging everyone to watch the game.

The match will start fast while the chaps looked like Oscar Alberto Quiteño Stadium was at capacity, then the chaps saluted the flag and sang the national anthem in decent shape as euphoric but all Chap.

"And start the game, SJG has possession of the ball but does not seem to react properly onsidering anteiores mediocre performances," cried the voice of sportscaster in the mega-screen.

The game seemed to get bored, so the chaps decided to do a catwalk in their finery as to costumes, to see who would get the prize for best chap about vestimente and manners.

One by one the chaps went with a lofty and very decent walk, wore their dress coats plus hats, some had their sticks as they passed but suddenly ...

"GOOOAAAAAAL........... GOOOOAAAAALLL OF SJG, Rodolfo Zelaya scored in thirty-seven minutes into the match, which exalted the placement of the ball, with a subtlety worthy of a chap" screaming in euphoric way the sportscaster.

"I said, Chaps! Applaud as hard as possible in celebration of the goal." said the host

Like any obedient chap, the guests rose to applaud the goal scored without much sign of euphoria.

The first time was up at the time, the chaps decided to go with the gateway to see who is the best dressed, gaining acidentalmente chap who burned his clothes with pipe smoking.

"wot happened to our friend?" Chaps said many who decided to eat some fish and chips while watching as his friend was on fire.

Later, the friends decided to sit and watch a little television before the game, the channel tuned in "Execution TV" where executions are transmitted throughout the world 24 hours a day, where they heard the following.

"Then the last one's a white envelope, with a red ribbon on top of it. I instantly smile as I slice it with my pocket knife, knowing its ideas importance-This envelope holds the list of people to be executed. Sometimes there's just one, while on other cases it'd go up to four to six people. Of course it's rare for the Latter to happen, but it does happen. Sometimes abominable Offences Those are done by mass, Needing for such procedure to happen.

Once sliced ​​the envelope, I found a long, coffee-soaked sheet of paper with the Sentenced's names:

12th Execution of the Gregorian Year 2017
Master of Ceremonies, Executioner of the Day: Andrew MacKinnon

Criminal of the Day
Justin MacDonald, Eric Denis Boase and Hardinge "

"Take that, Chap, please note that it is cruel to the dignity and decendia us," said one of the young host.

"wot, sorry," said the host while eating fish and chips and drank tea.

The match began in the second half, the chaps looked excited due to the action of SJG in the first half, they were hoping to get a good result, the game looked very much in favor of the national team, so the chaps left the gala ceremony and sat cross-legged, in the style of a chap.

The game was getting intense because of the interesting plays Rodolfo Zelaya, the chaps were euphoric and motivated to some extent because they were watching SJG win, well ..... decency was giving in to the patriotism of the Chaps who were already shouting insults against the other team because they took too much wine Bacchus, the mythological Greek god of wine was manipulating the heady under his control.

A couple of minutes later ..... "Goooooooooooooooooool SJG, scored by Rodolfo Zelaya, that goal" shouted the sports commentator for the second time in the evening, the chaps were mad and ran everywhere due to the intoxicating effect and seductive Bacchus in their delicious wines from grapes, until everything happened ....

"WOT!, I said Chaps, stop" said the host desperately due to the loss of decency in the party.

Soon enough, each of these chaps sat on chairs again and calming euphoria properly, because the host had asked in a polite way all genuine chap.

The party was ending until 89 minutes, SJG scored the third and final goal of the game, a goal exceletne where Zelaya dribbling to defending and scored Hutt River, something that really ruffled the chaps.

"Give me wine, more wine please. Bacchus Intoxicate me please!" Shouted some chaps in an indecent manner until.

"I said, Chaps, pick up trash please," said the host, as he took a pen and wrote the following message.

To: Isaac the Prince Imperial
Honorary President
The Imperial Club

I have read what you have expressed in your letter, my dear and noble colleague Chap, so I as a representative of the Chap Association of SJG, I declare my strongest intentions to colaborate in its aim to know the different views and definitions of chap in our country, here annex four reviews.

N°1: For us the Chap is a huge symbol of nobility and seriousness, a person with very traditional elite values​​, respects the customs and traditions of their nation. It is a true example of honesty and style in their refined personality, dilumbrante spectacular (Written by an ordinary citizen)

No. 2: For me, the chaps are quite egocentric personalities, but very funny and eloquent turn really like the order and wine, is that Bacchus must feast to satisfy this large amount of thirsty souls wine (Written by the president of SJG, Mr. Serrano.)

No. 3: The chap is a man made in a very aesthetic way, a bit shallow for their dress, is someone who would also usted elite and cosmopolitan values​​, someone who fits the profile perfectly a woman like a homre currently in short are excellent men. (Written by Luisa Cañas, editor of the journal Women)

No. 4: A chap ...... for me is an ordinary man, someone who likes a lot of drinking wine and smoking pipes, honestly can not stand the smell generated with these pipes, let me fool, more stupid than I already am. (A neighbor who supports not smell smoke pipes neighbor chap)

With these reviews, I send an affectionate greeting Noble Friend Chaps.

Yours in Chapness
Luis Castro
President of the Association of Chaps in SJG
Last edited by San Jose Guayabal on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not so active as before - Hail Alianza FC! - Football is my drug, Alianza FC my dealer!

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nova Anglicana » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:06 pm

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Rutupiae Football Complex, 8th August

Geoff Hampton and Michael Kee stood on the sidelines of the new Rutupiae pitch, watching about thirty-five men performing drills on the pitch. It was the last day of the first week of open tryouts, and there were about seventy players remaining for the twenty-three spots. The thirty-five or so on the main pitch were considered some of the frontrunners for the new side, as well as some players that the assistants thought might make solid reserve side players. As the players moved about on the pitch, Kee watched them carefully, asking Hampton when he couldn't identify a player.

"Who's this lanky fellow over here? He's hit about five penalties in a row, with a different approach each time. And who's the keeper?"

"Ah, yes, I was hoping you'd ask about him. That's Michael Brown. Striker, used to play for the Carialus national side; 35 points in 39 international games. He disappeared when the country went Communist, then popped up here. Our hospitality and media folks have been putting him up and keeping him out of the public eye so there won't be a bidding war for his services. He'll be strong up front. As for the keeper, hmm...Tommy Norman. Originally from Eboracum but came here to play for the U of R. Started all four years and really impressed Dick Schneider at the workouts this week. I suppose he's not quite up to snuff against top internationals, but that's to be expected; he's only 22. He's a prime candidate to start on the reserve side."

Kee wandered down the pitch a bit further, where a trio of attackers were working on passing against two defenders. As he watched, one of the defenders, a burly fellow, was able to deftly knock away the ball from a dancing attacker. "Hmm, good footwork. What do we know about him?"

"Christian Leeds, one of three Nepharim we invited here. Defender who plays for some unpronounceable team in their second tier, which is inexplicably called the First Division. Rhagant Schadenfreude, the team's called. Finished ninth in the table, but only allowed thirty-one goals in forty-six matches. Leeds was a force at halfback, though we would've liked his keeper as well. In addition to that good footwork, he's got a solid boot and isn't afraid to throw his weight around. Assuming he checks out for the rest of the trial period, he'll be our anchor at the back. Though he moves about as fast as an anchor."

"You said there were three of these...'Nephilim?' Who are the others?"

"Nepharim, sir, from Nephara. Anyway, the other two are Gareth Gerrard, from North Hook, also in the First Division, and Aiden Katzenjammer, from North Sabrefell of their third tier. Gerrard's a vet, can play center mid or holding mid (single or double pivot). He's got a good eye, a level head, and is a pretty fair passer. Not much in the scoring department, but he could be one of our candidates for captain. Katzenjammer's the complete opposite. Only twenty years old; he jumped at the chance to play overseas. North Sabrefell scored seventy-two goals last season and he was responsible for nineteen of them, matching his age. Boundless energy and a strong boot. Absolutely no regard for defense, and relies more on athleticism than anything else. We might start him on the reserve side, or he could be a late-game weapon when you need fresh legs."

On the opposite side of the pitch from Michael Brown and Tommy Norman, more players were taking penalties, though they weren't really scoring, as the man in net made save after save, including denying one shot even after breaking just a bit too early. Kee was impressed. "That man looks the part of a first-string keeper. Who is he?"

Hampton smiled broadly. "That is one of our best stories on this team. He's a Gregoryisgodistani defector, used to be a slave. That was his name, too, Slave PXNCNC8132A. Used to play football at night so his owner wouldn't find out. Then one day he up and steals a yacht, sails across the bay, lands in Thrilledge (or what used to be Thrilledge), showed up in Rutupiae hungry and exhausted. Anyhow, we found out he played football and had him work out for us privately. He was amazing. He converted to Anglicanism, got baptized, and changed his name to Elijah Coleman. We think he's going to keep us in a lot of matches. Oh, and the last one he stopped came from Chris Parker. Just graduated from St. Stephen's in Londinium. We were scouting him for a while, like a lot of other Sovereign Division teams. He's amazingly fit, a real box-to-box type of guy."

Kee smiled. "Geoff, I don't know what I'd do without you."

"Thank you, sir."

"You know, I'm really starting to feel excited about this upcoming season. I've been away for quite a while; it feels good to get back in the swing of things."

Now it was Hampton's turn to flash a grin. "I knew you'd come around, Michael."
Former WBC President (WBC 34-37), Current WBC President (WBC 56-58)

Champions
WBC 48, IBC 35/36, IBS XIII, WJHC VII, URSA 7s I, Port Louis 7s I, CE 29-30 (as NAAZE)

Runners-up
WBC 39/44/50, WCoH 46, RUWC 31, Cup of Harmony 65, IBS III/VIII, AVBF 7s II

3rd Place
WBC 28/32/36, RUWC XXIX, Cup of Harmony 64, IBS V, WJHC V/VIII/XVI/XVII, Beltane Cup II, Londinium 7s II, R7WC VI (eliminated in semis, no 3PPO)

4th Place
WBC 29/38/49, IBS VII, RUWC XXI/XXVI, WJHC IV, Londinium 7s I, WCoH 28, RAHI II

Quarterfinals
WBC 27/30/31/37/41/43/47, IBS VI, IBC 15/31, WJHC VI/IX/XIV, RAHI I, AVBF Rugby Sevens I, RUWC XXIV/XXV

Hosted
WBC 31/35, Londinium 7s I/II, IBS IX

West Angola
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby West Angola » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:19 pm

NAMIBE CHRONICLE

WEST ANGOLA SQUEEZES OUT ALEXANDERBURN, NEEDS HELP TO MAKE PLAYOFFS

Despite the team's sloppy play, West Angola's fans (some wearing red in solidarity with the victims of the Cabindan Civil War) pack Warren Memorial Stadium

NAMIBE- West Angola barely managed to stay alive last night, eking out an uninspiring 2-1 win over Alexanderburn that kept them on pace with group Cinderella Olastor for third place and left some hope alive that the second seed could catch Gregoryisgodistan by the final match and end the long tumble that West Angolan football has undergone the last several years. With only three matches remaining, West Angola trails third seed Gregoryisgodistan by five points, but will play them on the final matchday, presenting an opportunity to make three of those points up. However, should Gregoryisgodistan win their next two matches, the result of their final match will be rendered meaningless and they will qualify for a playoff regardless. Gregoryisgodistan next plays host to Olastor, the surprise team in group nineteen, and then travels to The Kytler Peninsulae, who stunned West Angola 1-nil on the road two weeks ago. West Angola must hope that Kytler displays the same skill and drive it showed against them in that match, or that Olastor’s magical run is only due to continue one more match and carries them through to defeat Lord Gregory’s thralls.

The next two matches for West Angola appear to be easy wins from a statistical standpoint, but a look at the team’s performance in this World Cup, especially on the road, casts doubt on that assertion. In addition to the aforementioned upset loss to The Kytler Peninsulae, West Angola has also suffered unexpected setbacks against Olastor (a 1-0 road loss) and Alexanderburn (a 1-1 road draw), which lends added urgency to their upcoming road match against Alundas. Despite West Angola’s 3-1 win over that team in the opening leg, Phillip Garren’s squad has managed to secure only four points in matches outside Warren Memorial Stadium, with a 1-1-3 record so far in qualifying. With two of their three remaining matches away from home, West Angola’s qualifying hopes appear dim. Even should they exceed all expectations and win against both Alundas and Gregoryisgodistan, it is very likely their efforts will go for naught as the Foot Slaves dispatch Olastor and Kytler Peninsulae prior to facing West Angola. Despite the long odds, the team apparently remains confident and optimistic, with Coach Phillip Garren telling reporters: “This team has historically struggled when things were seemingly in their favor. Ever since they cracked the second pot, they’ve had trouble scraping together wins against the bottom section of the group. No one here needs to be reminded of our disastrous showing in World Cup 67, when we finished fifth and lost seven matches, or in World Cup 65, when we recorded six draws, or even in World Cup 62, during our attempt to climb into the top fifty, when we lost seven times and drew four, and tumbled to sixth? When this team gets on top, they struggle, but when they’re down, when everyone says they’re out, that’s when they shine, and that’s what we’re going to do. Whatever happens with the other teams in this group, we’re going to go out and win our matches and leave the rest in God’s hands.”

When asked if he was referring to God himself or to Lord Almighty Gregory, Garren chuckled and said both would have an effect on where the team finished. Following the initial questions on the overall state of the team, Garren discussed the match itself, and his outlook was decidedly less rosy, “I’m not going to sugarcoat it, that was not an inspiring performance. We were listless, we were sloppy, we had guys who weren’t where they were supposed to be off somewhere else clogging the attack lanes, we had defenders converging on the ball and leaving wide open shots on the wings, we weren’t covering corners very well at all, this was not the team that put six past West Carpathia last month. The only good thing I can say is that all the problems you saw are fixable, because they’re all issues with focus. The last two matches have really shown off the lack of focus our boys are showing. I saw it creeping in in practice, and I failed in my duty to adequately squash it out of them there, just as they failed in their duty to keep it from becoming a habit. In that sense, everyone in this organization paid the price for lack of discipline, and that’s something that’s going to change before we play Alundas next week. If we show up and put out another performance like today against them, you can throw out everything I said about the rest of the qualifying stage, and you can throw me out with it. I’m a better coach than that, my assistants are better coaches than that, and my players are better than that. One or two matches where focus is an issue? Yeah, you could split the blame between me and the players, but if it shows up again now that it’s been identified? That’s on me. It’s my job as a coach to make sure my players are focused, especially if I know they’re having trouble with that. We will win this next match if we stay focused, and I’m staking my career on it, right now.”

Match Schedule:
1. vs. Saintland L 0-1
2. at West Carpathia W 5-2
3. vs. The Kytler Peninsulae W 3-0
4. at Alexanderburn D 0-0
5. vs. Alundas W 3-1
6. at Olastor L 0-1
7. vs. Gregoryisgodistan W 1-0
-Mid-Qual Break-
8. at Saintland L 3-4
9. vs. West Carpathia W 6-2
10. at The Kytler Peninsulae L 0-1
11. vs. Alexanderburn W 2-1
12. at Alundas N/A
13. vs. Olastor N/A
14. at Gregoryisgodistan N/A
Group 19 Scores:
(2-1-8) West Carpathia 0–3 Gregoryisgodistan (8-0-3)
(11-0-0) Saintland 1–0 The Kytler Peninsulae (4-1-6)
(6-1-4) West Angola 2–1 Alexanderburn (4-2-5)
(6-1-4) Olastor 2–0 Alundas (0-0-11)

Group 19 Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 Saintland 11 11 0 0 32 12 +20 33
2 Gregoryisgodistan 11 8 0 3 18 10 +8 24
3 Olastor 11 6 1 4 19 15 +4 19
4 West Angola 11 6 1 4 23 13 +10 19
5 Alexanderburn 11 4 2 5 17 19 −2 14
6 The Kytler Peninsulae 11 4 1 6 11 17 −6 13
7 West Carpathia 11 2 1 8 13 25 −12 7
8 Alundas 11 0 0 11 4 26 −22 0
Economic Left/Right: -4.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.95
Fourth Place: Cup of Harmony 59; Runner-Up: Cup of Harmony 55; Champion: Cup of Harmony 57

Northern Sunrise Islands
Minister

Founded: May 05, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Northern Sunrise Islands » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:32 pm

RADIO ESPORTIVA
Chapter 11, Season 4:

After a couple of days on a hospital, Ecosse decided he would get revenge on Sindy and with that, used all on his powers to find where Sindy was, after all, to obtain it. Considering his hands not one to do such dirty work, he got hold of Sunrise's contacts and requested Hodori's permission to let him fulfill the role of revenge taker.

The research was long, but without much relevant data, until they got word of the World Cup qualifiers happening soon.

Sunrise: Eh... you're sure about that?
Ecosse: Well, if I was trying to send a message about people like you, I'm pretty sure the World Cup would be a nice stand for that.
Sunrise: Going by that logic, seems appropriate.
Ecosse: Plus, the accident on the mall was more "luck"-based than anything else, Sunrise. She'd have an easier time here.
Sunrise: But... shouldn't they NOT allow her in?
Ecosse: Spectacle value, Sunrise. Regular people fighting for a regular trophy? Boring. Possible murderer? Entertaining. Believe me, she'll be here.
Sunrise: And now we wait?
Ecosse: Damn right.
Tails... Watch out, you're gonna crash, aaaaah!
Project +90 | Sunrise's Sportwires (shared with Dainer) | PokéCard ~ Label Guide
Champion: WC 75 and 76, U-15 WC 4 and 6, DBC 29 and 41
Now known as Kita-Hinode

Star United States
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Five to Zero

Postby Star United States » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:55 pm

Image Star United States Image
The World Cup 69 Qualifiers
☆★ Five to Zero ★☆

Previous Editions: Roster of Star United States; Here We Come; First Glimpse; One Day Closer;Match Day One Preview;Day One Out and Over; World Cup Qualifiers - Day Two; Diasters Throughout;Fourth Time's A Charm; A Draw & A Problem; Two Ties & A Crisis; One Step Closer; Halfway Through; Another Day; Match Day Nine; Rise and Forward

Five to Zero

Star United States hosted The Blaatschapen at the Sunset Stadium in Hery City, Star United States, and the visitors arrived to lose to the hosts with the score of five to zero. Not a disappointing result for Star United States, but the opposite is said for The Blaatschapen.

When Star United States visited The Blaatchcapen, the visitors (SUS) scored five goals, while the hosts scored four. This time around, Star United States scored five goals, once again, but The Blaatschapen scored none.

Two goals came in favor of Star United States during the first half, and the others, obviously, came along in the second half of this encounter. One yellow card also given out during this match.

Minute 7Goal – Star United States’ defender Solo managed to get the ball from the mid-fielders of the visitors, who started the match.  The defender Solo passed the ball to Soarison, a mid-fielder.  Soarison passed the ball to Garrison, but was quickly intercepted by a defense of the rivals, however, the ball was taken back utterly quick. Garrison, after a series of passes between the Starian players, got power of the ball. He aimed and kicked. With much ease the ball flew and curved right into the goal. Star United States took an early lead in the match. They say that early leads aren’t good, but not in this case.

Minute 28Yellow Card – Starian player Barnna received a yellow card, when he was supposedly trying to kick the ball, but kicked a rival on the upper part of his left leg. The incident occurred within centimeters from where the referee was standing, and he blew his whistle as soon as it occurred. The player of the rival was not severely injured though, according to the provided medical report.

Minute 30Goal – Despite being awarded with a free kick, the vistors quickly lost control of the ball and it was back between the feet of the Starian defenders, who quickly passed it along on the mild-fielders. Horas received the ball from Andrews. He then, passed the ball down to the line of strikers, or forwards, as some say. Gonzalez had the honor to score the goal, even though it was planned for Gasteiz to it. Gasteiz was unable to kick towards the goal from the position where he was standing, which was right outside the rectangular box, so he kicked it to this fellow stiker who had a better possibility of making it, and of course, Gonzalez scored the goal. The ball zoomed right between the legs of the goalkeepers of The Blaatschapen.

The referee granted two extra minutes after the regulation forty-five due to loss of time, however, no goals were made or any cards received during this time. The second half brought three more goals, and all in favor of the hosts, Star United States.

Minute 47Goal – Soarison, the Starian Star oft the World Cup Qualifiers 68, made a goal. He received a pass from striker Garrison, and he was to pass the ball to Gasteiz. Seeing the Gasteiz was being blocked, and that he had an almost clear shot for the net, he choose to kick it from outside the rectangular box, and it shot right into the net. It was an unbelievable sight!

Minute 58Goal – Gasteiz finally got his chance to shine when he scored the fourth goal in favor of Star United States during this match. A corner in favor of Star United States was called, and as the ball went in, it was quickly rejected by a defender of the rivals. However, the ball fell upon the feet of a Starian player, Caleb Horas, who kicked the ball to Gasteiz, who made the goal.

Minute 82Goal – When the rivals thought it was over another goal came ‘round the corner. This time, by Garrison, once again. Garrison intercepted the ball that was being kicked from the rivals’ goalkeeper to a defense, and he got the ball, and without double thinking about it, kicked it straight in, and it was a nice goal, accordingly.

Group 15

Last time around, Barunia visited Vunishia and won to the score of one to three. The Blaatschapen hosted Star United States, and lost to the score of four to five. Estope was hosted by Zwangzug, where both teams tied. New Wolfopolis hosted Dawnhaven, where they triumphed over them to the score of five to zero.  

This time around, Barunia won three to two against Vunishia; Star United States won five to zero against The Blaatschapen; Estope won two to zero against Zwangzug; and Dawnhaven lost zero to one against New Wolfopolis.

Group 15 – one of the tightest group these qualifiers. Estope leads the group with 24 points, followed by Barunia in second with 22 points. Zwangzug is in third with 21 points, and New Wolfopolis is in fourth with 19 points. Star United States follows in fifth with 17 points. In sixth place stands Dawnhaven with 15 points, followed by Vunisiain seventh, who has five points. The Blaatschapen stands last with three points.

Tomorrow’s Matches and Possible Results

Tomorrow Vunishia will be hosting Dawnhaven. Dawnhaven won to the score of one to zero when these two teams met last time. New Wolfopolis will be hosting Estope, with Estope seeking a replay of the victory last time they met (Estope won two to one). Star United States will be visting Zwangzug, who both tied last time. Lastly, Barunia will be going over to The Blaatschapen, who last time lost three to one against Barunia.

Two possible results are expected tomorrow, excluding any draws. Expectation One: Dawnhaven, Estope, Star United States, and Barunia win. [u]Expectation Two:[/i] Dawnhaven, New Wolfopolis, Zwangzug, and Barunia won. (Or switched around)

If Expectation One were to occur: Estope will continue as group leader with 27 points, followed by Barunia wth 25 points. In third it would be Zwangzug with 21 points, followed by Star United States with 20 points. New Wolfopolis will be in fifth with 19 points, followed by Dawnhave with 18 points, and then Vunishia with 5 and The Blaatschapen with 3.

If Expectation Two were to occur: Barunia will rise up to first place with 25 points, followed by Estope or Zwanguzg who both will have 24 points. New Wolfopolis will be in fourth with 22 points, followed by Dawnhaven with 18 points. Star United States will be sixth with 17 points, followed by Vunishia with 5, and The Blaatschapen with 3.

Zwangzug v. Star United States

Past Results

Zwangzug 1 : 0 Star United States (WCQ67)
Star United States 2 : 4 Zwangzug (WCQ67)
Star United States 0 : 0 Zwangzug (WCQ69)

Zwangzug and Star United States face off for a fourth time during World Cup Qualifiers. First time these two teams met, back during the World Cup Qualifiers 67, Zwangzug took the victory with a single goal scored during the match. The second time, also during the World Cup Qualifiers 67, Zwangzug took a victory with the score of two to four. The third time these teams have met, the both tied to the score of zero to zero.

If Star United States win this match, which is highly hoped for, they will move up to the fourth slot of the group, and Zwangzug will stay in third. On the other hand, if Zwangzug wins, they will battle out second place on goal difference if Estope were to lose, and Star United States will move down to sixth if Dawnhaven were to win.

Stay tuned to find out results and weather updates. Thank you.

Estope
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Estope » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:17 pm

Following a shocking two nil victory over Zwangzug that gave Estope control of Group 15, Coach Freezus was thrilled. "Great game everybody! Be sure to get a juice box and a cookie from my wife on your way to the locker room. She made them extra special today. I'm so proud of all of you! Way to give it your all out there." Last time Estope played Zwangzug it was also a good game but this time they kicked it up a notch. Coach Freezus refrained from biting anyone and there was no bizarre circumstance or excuses to be had. The Estope team just went out there and took care of business. Sure the nine forwards may be unconventional and his "U6 Mayhem" seemed like a bizarre defensive strategy but so far it has served the team well. This win, the fourth in a row for a mediocre at best squad, was a huge upset for the home team. But that is how it has gone for all of qualifiers. Freezus also upset Barunia 4-2 at home just two weeks earlier. In fact the only slip up at Inzer-Bare Stadium has been a 1-1 draw to Vunishia, one of the group's bottom dwellers. Ever since that disappointment, Estope has been a completely different team. "That was to be expected," Freezus commented, "My revolutionary 1-0-9 formation is a tough one to really get the hang of. The first half of qualifiers was very inconsistent on our behalf, especially the last two games of the first half where we were playing overmatched opponents but let off the gas a bit. This second half has been a fantastic turnaround for us. I'm really proud of what I've been able to do for this team. Really while I love scoring goals, our defensive scheme has been sound these past two games. My idea that we all just chase the ball and swarm the ball handler has worked to perfection. U6 Mayhem worked when I coached my daughters rec team and it works even on the professional level." The head of Estope Soccer, Brian Monte, seems to agree with his head coach, "The games are just so entertaining to watch now. The fans are really benefitting from Coach Freezus' new style of play. Coach Freezus has always been an innovator though so I knew what to expect when I hired him. His extensive career as a high school girl's JV basketball coach was the perfect fit for our national soccer team. Often times in soccer we get set in our ways as to how things have to be done but Freezus really came into this job knowing very little. This allowed him to have a clear outsider's perspective on the sport and be a maverick. His first year, World Cup 67 cycle, was definitely a transition year for us as a team. But he really showed his worth last qualifying cycle as we made it to the playoffs but just missed qualifying. In the Campionato Esportiva we have improved each year under the direction of Freezus, reaching the Round of 16 and then the Semifinals. This cycle is really where all his hard work is going to pay off though. This team is now fully his and with his new formation he has taken us to the top." With three games left to go, only one is expected to pose a huge threat to Estope, New Wolfopolis. Next week Estope will travel to New Wolfopolis for a crucial match. Both teams need a win to stay alive in hopes of qualfying, New Wolfopolis needs a favorable result much more and will be playing at home though. A win here would be huge for Estope as it would give them at least a two point lead for first with only two matches to go. Those matches are against Dawnhaven, Estope's only loss to date but positioned in sixth place right now, at home and Vunishia, currently second to last, on the road. Both of those should be a win, of course they should have been wins in the first half of qualifiers as well. All focus right now is on New Wolfopolis. Ed Ogarchetski, assistant coach for Estope, discussed the importance of this game. "Me no like Wolf team. They tough team. We only win them by one. We go to Wolfland and play very hard. Me want Estope win game. Estope first place, want stay there." Because the game is being played in New Wolfopolis and not at home, Monte was concerned about fan support. "We really need our fans to be present and loud during the game, even though we won't be at home. Since New Wolfopolis really isn't too far, we will be sponsoring fan flights to provide transportation for anyone interesting in attending this crucial match. On each flight there will be a number of exclusive giveaways, like an official team pencil or even a Coach Freezus Bobble Head. We hope to see many fans sign up for these flights and be in attendance for this huge game." So far few have taken up this offer but there is still time for people to sign up. With the group so close this is a crucial game for Estope who hopes to put aside their past shortcomings and qualify for the World Cup for the first time in nation history. It won't be easy but right now they are in prime position to at least make it to the playoffs for a spot.

Schedule:
MD1: Estope v Star United States - WIN - 4-1
MD2: Barunia v Estope - Draw - 1-1
MD3: Estope v The Blaatschapen - WIN - 1-0
MD4: Zwangzug v Estope - DRAW - 1-1
MD5: Estope v New Wolfopolis - WIN - 2-1
MD6: Dawnhaven v Estope - LOSS - 3-2
MD7: Estope v Vunishia - DRAW - 1-1
MD8: Star United States v Estope - WIN - 2-3
MD9: Estope v Barunia - WIN - 4-2
MD10: The Blaatschapen v Estope - WIN - 0-2
MD11: Estope v Zwangzug - WIN - 2-0
MD12: New Wolfopolis v Estope
MD13: Estope v Dawnhaven
MD14: Vunishia v Estope
Soccer: 61st (14.33 pts.) | Football: 26th (9.08 pts.) | Baseball: 13th (3.23 pts.) | Rugby: 13th (5.07 pts.)
Hockey: 11th (16.85 pts.) | Basketball: 25th (2.73 pts.) | Lacrosse: 4th (37.62 pts.)
Maklohi Vai Tournament (Baseball)
Esportiva Union Cup II (Rugby)
Estope Open
World Bowl XXIII
Maple Leaf Bowl III

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:52 pm

THE EMPIRE TIMES

Baser Ruing His Mishap

It will be a game to forget for Percy Baser as he did the unthinkable, scoring an own goal, denying his team a win and potentially qualification to the World Cup. With only four games to go the Eagles were sitting comfortably on top of the table, four points clear of their closest rivals and only needed to win the next three games to guarantee them a World Cup berth. A strong performance from the Eagles which culminated in a goal from Blaine Cooperson in the 60th minute was undone when in injury time Baser knocked that ball into his net, losing two valuable points in the process.

Henry Emergaton had made two changes to his usual line up putting on Nathan Starling in the midfield and giving Ryan Stringer in the back after Jacob Kleeza complained of a pulled hamstring following the Nassau match last week. It was Stringer’s first appearance for the side and he failed to disappoint as he covered the left flank well closing down the Highland winger and preventing a number of chance creations. Starling also played well throughout the game winning the ball a number of times in the midfield and setting up play for his three forwards. Most of the first half the game was stuck in the midfield as both sides traded possession and seeked ways to attack each other’s goal. Kane Harrison had the best chance for the half when he found himself in front of an open goal 7 yards out but he mishit sending it over the cross bar. Cooperson and Michael Walkers also had attempts but these were form long range as the team struggled to penetrate the Highland defence. Green Highland also had a number of chances with their forward sending the ball across the face of the goal after successfully losing his marker. He managed to take a shot that deflected off the post and come back to him, Milton Tuneson was ready for his second shot and saved it comfortably. The first half ended nil all with neither side looking dominant.

The Eagles were quick to change the tempo in the second half taking control of the game and putting the Highland defenders under a lot more pressure. The Blouman midfield was able to build up play successfully linking with the forwards who time and time again found themselves in space and this time finding a way to have shots on goal. Cooperson managed to take a powerful shot along the ground beating the keeper but failed to beat the post. Meanwhile Walkers chipped the keeper but the ball failed to drop in time hitting the top of the cross bar. An early cross in from Starling looked almost certain to go in with three Blouman players in the box but none managed to get a solid hit on the ball. In the 60th minute the Eagles found success. Harrison and Walkers executed a textbook one-two allowing Harrison to neatly slot the ball into play. While the Eagles continued their pressure Green Highland was refinding their feet and we started to see their forward plays that had been missing since the end of the first half. While the Highland players took a number of shots each none were getting past a determined Tuneson as he kept his team in front. With only a minute of injury time to be played the Blouman fans were already cheering when their left winger took a shot forcing Tuneson to push the ball around the post resulting in a corner. The ball came in high into the awaiting pack and while Baser managed to get his head to it first, he hit too high up the ball and knocked it into the net. The goal silenced the away crowd while cheers erupted from the home supporters. It was to be the last play of the game with no time left for either team to score a winning goal the match ended one all.

Henry Emergaton was visibly upset by the result but wasn’t showing it in his post match interview simply calling it a part of the game and that it happens. Blouman Captain had fewer words to describe it saying “shit happens”. Baser who had buried his face in his hands after the game refused to talk to an awaiting media pack and was quickly ushered onto the team bus. The draw puts the Empire’s campaign on uneasy ground as they now are only two points ahead after The Royal Barangay beat Nassau-Hessen one-nil and further mishaps could see them slip down into the playoff spots. With three games left the team will be looking to secure all nine points with their next game at home against the recently eliminated Red Blackiland.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Felix
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Felix » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:49 am

(OOC: A lesson can be learned here. Don't procrastinate and work on your RP at 3 AM. >_>)

Previously

Münchewald, Rüntenbach

Finally the last leg of the Esportiva trip, the jet landed in Domonik Harde International Airport and was quietly sent to a hanger where, just like the San Jose Guayabal trip, the cars would quickly pick up Tamara Van Der Ven and send her off to the next person. Instead of a Communist leader like in the last trip she met a more democratic leader Kurt Nachreich leader of Rüntenbach. When they left the airport they entered Münchewald a city that reminded her of Tamara's hometown of Volker, Felix. It spoke German and had impressive skyscrapers, almost exactly like Volker. After a hour of driving the diplomatic mission arrived at their hotel. There they would take much deserved rest and tackle the diplomatic challenges facing them the next day.

The next day they would head to President Kurt Nachreich's presidential residence in Münchewald, the drive here was only 30 minutes long and that gave Tamara some time to think about what she was going to say and tell her that the Felixian people need help. Basically put, she was going to say the same rehearsed lines she used in the other trips. Get assistance in any way, shape or form and try to build a lasting diplomatic relationship for years to come. When the car stopped she knew it was time and she opened the door. There she would meet the President of Münchewald and she would shake his hand. The last time these two leaders met is when their two football organizations met and discussed the possibility of hosting the Campionato Esportiva.

When the whole ordeal started President Nachreich was probably like many people all over the multiverse, shocked and horrified by what was going on, how amazing it's been a year since that coup and now they are talking about assistance. After the two shook their hands they moved inside the building and they would sit down in the meeting room. There they would spend hours upon hours in talks. Eventually the two reached a reasonable agreement. While they didn't receive arms or actual men, they did receive money and diplomatic support. Once again, she basically got a yes and once again her signature smile showed it. The more reserved Nachrerich didn't smile as broadly but he agreed in the happy sentiment Tamara was showing. It would be another hour before Tamara decided to leave by then the friendship between Felix and Rüntenbach than ever. A week later Tamara Van Der Ven would be heading for new lands. And that new land was the land of the ponies, Pony Lands and the Equestrian States.

To be continued...

Brenecia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Brenecia » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:52 am

Sam Allbeck was starting to come to terms that her time might be coming.
Brenecia was all about youth, these days - youth and aggression, where Allbeck provided neither. A firm, reliable and intelligent captain, a strong, conservative rightback... but she was rather a square peg for a round hole these days.
Fiona Berenger of Crisisbless was at rightback in her stead today - she'd been starting more and more lately, and she looked perfectly natural in the role. 22 years old, perfectly poised and beautifully dynamic - one might argue she was a little young and raw to be starting, but hell, Allbeck herself was only 23 during the Baptism of Fire. That had been a strange, fractured side, and results reflected it. They'd been so confident they could follow in Nepharim footsteps and win the tournament...
So confident. But they couldn't even make it to the last sixteen.
That was the generation Allbeck came from - no, symbolised. Confident veterans who offered only stalwart dependability, but would never prove challengers, and so often fell short of the mark. At best, they were plucky underdogs. At worst, they were crushed by their own reactive nature.
This team was everything the Brenecia of old was not. And it was beautiful to watch.
But Allbeck knew her time had past.
She knew it as Erin Camden, wearing the armband in her stead, threaded a lovely forward ball for Daniel Snowden to find. She knew it as Snowden held back the amateur Holdinian leftback, waiting for Berenger to overlap. And she knew it when Snowden's pass was caught beautifully by a sweep of Berenger's boot, taking it over the Holdinian goalkeeper and into the net.
Cathy Stokes, who shared a club with her at AFC Treason, had at times confided in her the sense of fading away as others came forward. But Allbeck felt as though she'd never fade away... like she'd last forever.
But as the ball rippled the net, she knew that time, and the Patriots, had passed her by.
Puppet of Nephara.

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:54 am

The Cosumarite Courier
Cosumar's #1 Sports News Source

Another comfortable win keeps Cosumar in hunt for 2nd place

ABSURDLY POLITE GENTLEMEN - Anders Engström, the 22-year old Mallox star, was the man of the match as he propelled Cosumar to a 4-1 victory over Absurdly Polite Gentlemen with his two early goals. It was the second encouraging performance for Cosumar in as many games, after their 5-0 thrashing of Airella on Matchday 10. It was also their first victory away from Leviathan Arena.

The first of Engström's goals came in the 18th minute, deflating the hopeful tension the APG crowd had built up. The young attacking midfielder cut inside between two defenders and redirected a precise square pass from Dean Harold McSaunders into the side of the goal. Engström was visibly thrilled after scoring Cosumar's 22nd goal of this World Cup, exploding down the sideline with his arms spread wide before sliding to his knees in front of McSaunders. That's one way to thank him for the perfect set-up! Just eight minutes later, Engström struck again - but this time he did it all by himself. Working from the left side, he used his excellent speed to cut towards the middle on the edge of the box and used some flashy footwork to create himself some space to pound the ball towards goal. The ball was hit low and hard - too hard for the absurdly polite goalkeeper to do anything but watch as it slapped the back of the net. 2-0 Cosumar.

"I had a slow start to the competition, but I do believe I'm already twice the player I was on Matchday one," Engström said post-game. "I've worked hard to be my very best for this team and for my country and now for that work to be manifested with two goals and an assist today - not to mention the big win - is very gratifying for me. Honestly, each goal in this competition is something special and are memories I will savor forever. There's one memory I don't have yet: my first hat trick. Maybe next week, eh?"

After his second goal, the scattered clusters of Cosumarite fans that made the trip to Rushmore showed their appreciation by lifting a chant of Engström's nickname "IsetHjerte" over the silent home crowd. However, the majority of the audience in attendance was still desperate for something to cheer about. As it so happens, they didn't have to wait long.

After pausing to extend Cosumarite defender Kirum Mortonsson a hand-written invitation to try to take the ball, an absurdly polite midfielder sent a graceful cross through to his teammate who slipped behind Abdiel Assad for an easy tap-in (after taking a moment to bow in thanks to the midfielder). This simultaneous display of team football and proper etiquette elicited a thunderous din of polite claps and approving nods. 2-1 was the score the two sides took to the dressing room during the break. With the outcome not yet certain, the Cosumarite fans were visibly anxious as the second half kicked off.

In the 50th minute, Sur Arora brought relief with his head. He deflected a high-arching cross from Engström into the right side of the goal. The absurdly polite goalkeeper got a hand on it, but was unable to change the trajectory of the high-velocity header. Perhaps the true highlight of the sequence was Engström making a mockery of two defenders not once but twice in order to maneuver enough space to cross the ball.

With a 3-1 lead and ample momentum against the tiring Gentlemen, the Dragons had no reason to park the bus for the rest of the half. Farris Crowley ruthlessly kept his foot on the gas and his Dragons were able to keep pressure on the APG defense for the rest of the match, producing several great chances. Their efforts were finally rewarded in the 84th minute when reserve defender Eido Noldor scored his first ever World Cup goal. The young attack-minded defender had subbed on for Vareza Na'Noni just five minutes prior for only his third appearance in all of Qualifying. He made the most of it, however, gathering the rebound of a failed clearance on a corner kick and swiftly booting it back into the goal. Somehow, it traveled through the crowded mass of bodies in the box without being obstructed. Noldor's unlikely goal cemented the final margin at 4-1 in favor of Cosumar.

Cosumar - 4
18' (Engström)
26' (Engström)
50' (Arora)
84' (Noldor)

Absurdly Polite Gentlemen - 1
36'

The implications of this win in the Group 12 standings are that we maintain our position behind Glaser and Karditan, who both also secured victories today. However, Hicana was defeated at home by The Archregimancy, allowing Cosumar to quietly ascend from 5th to 4th. If this placement holds, the Dragons will have done no better than in World Cup 68, when they also finished 4th. The lack of improvement could be the straw that broke the camel's back for Farris Crowley's efforts to stay on as Manager. With each successive Qualifying failure, the seemingly immortal Cosumarite icon has seen his critics get louder and louder.

But let's save the bleak scenarios of post-WC failure until we see the final Table. For Matchday 12, the Karditan Blue Barons will come visit us at Leviathan Arena in Kaldukosic. In the first meeting between the two sides, Karditan delighted their home crowds with a late equalizer to force a 2-2 draw. Cosumar has been strong at home, so hopefully our crowds will have something to be delighted about this time. We all know Leviathan Arena will be filled to its 90,000+ capacity and ready to explode. This is the match that will likely make or break the Dragons' World Cup dreams. If we lose, Karditan jumps five points ahead of us, but if we win we would jump ahead of them and possibly draw even with Glaser in 2nd place.

So, in this sense, we control our own destiny. Just defeat Karditan and Hicana, and our chances skyrocket dramatically. However, there is still an element of fate up in the air as our fortunes also depend on what Glaser does in these final three games. If they keep winning, it doesn't matter what we do as we have no more opportunities to play them head-on. Glaser plays The Archregimancy tomorrow - hope that the Monks can take care of business as they have been doing.

Thank you for reading our exclusive Cosumar Dragons World Cup 69 Coverage. Follow us on Twitter @TheCourier or subscribe to our website (thecourier.cos) to receive daily updates and analysis on the Cosumar's progress in the tournament.

Alphus Sizemore
Staff Writer

Cosumar's World Cup 69 Journey
Pre-Qual Friendly: Star United States 3-3 Cosumar
Matchday 1: The Archregimancy 4-0 Cosumar
Matchday 2: Cosumar 3-0 Glaser
Matchday 3: Airella 1-1 Cosumar
Matchday 4: Cosumar 3-2 Absurdly Polite Gentlemen
Matchday 5: Karditan 2-2 Cosumar
Matchday 6: Cosumar 3-1 Vangaziland
Matchday 7: Hicana 0-0 Cosumar
Mid-Qual Friendly: The Royal Kingdom of Quebec 0-1 Cosumar
Matchday 8: Cosumar 2-2 The Archregimancy
Matchday 9: Glaser 3-2 Cosumar
Matchday 10: Cosumar 5-0 Airella
Matchday 11: Absurdly Polite Gentlemen 1-4 Cosumar
Matchday 12: Cosumar vs. Karditan (@ Leviathan Arena, Kaldukosic, Cosumar)
Matchday 13: Vangaziland vs. Cosumar (@ Vangaziland)
Matchday 14: Cosumar vs. Hicana (@ Leviathan Arena, Kaldukosic, Cosumar)
Blue: Draw
Green: Victory
Red: Defeat

Cosumar's Goal-Scorers Tally (25 GF)
Sur Arora (8)
Anders Engström (6)
Paaron Petrov (5)
Ejegefe Na'Safeh (1)
Francois Renault (1)
Sheldon Serra (1)
Dean Harold McSaunders (1)
Vareza Na'Noni (1)
Eido Noldor (1)
Last edited by Cosumar on Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Qualified: World Cups 54-59, 62, 73-83
President, World Lacrosse Fed.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III
2nd Place: AOCAF 57, NSCF 13, WBC 34, WLC 12/19/23, AOHC VI, Arena Bowl V
3rd Place: AOCAF 55, CoH 45 & 62, WLC 18 & 24, BoI VI

Host: WC 78 & 82, CoH 69 & 74, BoF 62, World Bowl 27, WLC 20, Beach Cup II & V
NEWSWIRE
Your friendly neighborhood Metalhead
Last.fm | RYM | Essential Cosumarcore
Political Compass
U of Texas grad livin in NC
Dallas sports
Secularist, Environmentalist, LGBT/BLM/feminist ally, Whovian
Author, Issue 319: Sizing Up The Competition

Yttribia
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yttribia » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:56 am

Fasista Vigilante. What a shit city, thought most of the soldiers. They kept thinking to themselves that it was such a shit city. Hell, even the president of San José Guayabal thought Fasista Vigilante is a shit city, and it would seem as if he wouldn't give a single darn if it burned down to the ground. These soldiers, hopping off the battleship and getting ready to engage in the biggest act anyone in the multiverse could commit. The Yttribian Armed Forces were about to raze a city down, and watch as the helpless city and their helpless citizens cry and die as their city is being destroyed.

The dark of the night still was taking over the city, and most of the children were sound asleep, not knowing that their world would change within a night. Most windows were open, seeing as the city was somewhat humid and hot. Soldiers began to take out trash bags from bins, and lit the insides of the bag on fire. Then the soldiers threw the bags inside the homes, and watched as they let it burn. Soldiers began to set various monuments ablaze, and grenades were thrown across distances inconceivable. What was extremely sad was the fact that these soldiers, from young university dropouts to gentlemen in their mid-thirties who wanted to fight for their country, were not thinking about what they were actually doing and continuing to destroy this city, full of innocent people. No big deal, it's a city no one really cares about anyways, they thought. They would regret that thought later in the future when these soldiers would be charged for crimes against humanity.

Homes and buildings were burning, some already in rubble due to the damage from the hand grenades, which had surprisingly done a great deal of damage to the buildings. Then, things were made worse when the RPGs were fired at even more buildings and homes. At this point, most if not all of the entire city was on fire, and the worst part was the fact that the fire department itself was burning down, so the citizens had no one to save them. Everything is burning, and the agonizing screams of people were heard throughout the entire city. The soldiers decided to let the big one finish off that city once and for all. Entire city is burning, so we better put most of these people out of their misery. The soldiers hopped back onto the boat, and quickly watched as the engineering marvel began to sail away from the city. Within thirty nautical miles away from the city, the soldiers were given the all clear to begin to fire missiles at the city, as Fasista Vigilante went out with a boom.

This fire was out of control, and they burned this city, burned this city. And oh how it burned for them.
The Yttribian Confederation
Hosted
World Cup 71 | Cup of Harmony 61 | Campionato Esportiva 11 | Campionato Esportiva 15
I have some experience. Key word is some.
Find me at Gortolekua now.

Kinitaria
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kinitaria » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:57 am

Vettrera and Kinitaria's sporting representatives face a common problem, in that both have been left homeless by the instability ripping through each nation. And yet, while you could stand on the Torisakian shores on a clear day and sight the Kinitar coastline in the distance, the Vettrerans couldn't even remain in their own continent. That's why the Kinitar side were staying in Atlantian Oceania, and heading out to Bonticello for what had suddenly turned into a much more vital encounter.

Vettrera had already done Milo Serinev's new side a huge favour in a dramatic 5-3 win over Boring Paradise, a key ingredient in what would be a miraculous qualification if Kinitaria made it. But there was no time for sentimentality, for the next step involved overcoming Vettrera themselves. In terms of international matches, it doesn't get much stranger than the events that played out before the 75,000-seater Blue Bear Stadium in Blackmonte. Very rarely has a crucial qualifier been played out before such a vast stadium that was roughly 99% empty.

It was already known that Vettrera had attacking impetus; they'd shown it in their inspiring display against Boring Paradise. They were keen to put Kinitaria to the test early on, led by the formidable Carlos Garza, their front line forced Alčer into numerous smart saves in the early stages of the first half. The visitors were creating chances as well, but they were more wasteful - Vilo Mulkanov summed this up when he pulled off a smart move to open up space for himself in the penalty area, then blazing over the bar from ten yards out.

The game shortly degenerated into a midfield slog. The admittedly slim hopes for both teams of making it into the qualification playoffs essentially hinged on this game, and both sides seemed to be afraid to make the crucial mistake. Indeed, when the breakthrough came, it was a slip from the inexperienced Kovra Mircič that allowed Yankton through, and the young striker made no mistake when put one on one with Alčer. The mistake was unfortunate, but Kinitaria had been second best from the off and could feel no injustice at the scoreline.

Buoyed by their early lead, the Wild Herd came charging at Kinitaria once again. Martinez would surely have made it two but for a brilliant instinctive tackle from Topol. But for their staunch defending, Kinitaria barely looked like creating a chance until they forced an opportunity to break away. Pavlov led the charge, and although Kulisev miscontrolled the ball, Mulkanov was following up to slam his effort past the unsighted Jones and into the bottom corner. It was absolutely against the run of play, but there would be no complaints from Serinev.

After such a below-par performance in the first half, going into the break level would have put the new Kinitar boss in a happier mood, and yet he had even more cause for celebration just a few minutes before the interval. Costica's curving free-kick was beaten away well by Jones, but there was nothing the Vettreran keeper could have done about the rebound, falling straight to Limcič to claim one of the easiest goals ever seen at international level. Somehow, despite utterly dominating the first half, Vettrera went in behind.

When the game resumed, there was little to suggest that Kinitaria had learned from their earlier mistakes. Home substitute Julian Dennocato had Alčer well beaten with a scorching volley from outside the area, only to be denied by the post, before Mircič atoned for his earlier mistake by hoofing a goalbound Hughes shot off the line. Kinitaria had survived the opening barrage, following which Vettrera seemed to fade away and the Kinitar side were able to control the game a lot better.

Vettrera certainly weren't beaten yet, but with Kinitaria keeping them at arm's length, a touch of frustration began to set in. Dennocato was booked for a careless swipe on Tondro Shildir, and the Kinitar right-back also saw yellow for his over-the-top verbal retaliation. But things were about to get worse for Lucas Murdoch's side thanks to a disputed penalty. There was certainly no question that Tingsley had clipped Dalmerov, but all of the home side's bench were convinced that he was at least a yard outside the box. Their protests were to no avail, the decision stood, and Virne Limcič smashed home the spot-kick for his second of the game.

Now two goals behind, Vettrera had woken up again, and Alčer's goal was once more peppered by a desperate barrage. He had to make a couple of key saves, from Greer and Garza, but his back four mostly served him well. Kinitaria could still have made it four in the closing stages thanks to Costica's audacious 60-yard chip with Jones well off his line, but his effort soared into the empty stands behind the goal in one of the last acts of the game.

"This is what happens when you've got a bit of pride about your performances!" a beaming Milo Serinev had told his team, deep in the bowels of the Blue Bear stadium. "You start to pull yourselves out of the mire! Now, the Icemark lost 5-0, so-" he paused to let the approving roar dissipate, "-so we're only two points behind second now. Not as bleak as we all thought it was, is it? But that's no excuse for letting your heads drop, not at this stage." He added that last part with a stern look at his team. In truth, Serinev had very quickly grown used to the new managerial position. He'd served as Melody Pond's number two for over a decade, and given this chance to impose himself on the side, had thrown himself at it. While he and Melody might say that there was functionally no change to the way the Kinitar team was being run, he'd have been an idiot not to grab this chance, and he knew it.

The mood in the Kinitar camp was also a lot more positive after the past two rounds. They were, after two games, six points, and nine goals, a transformed team. Whereas the mood just a couple of weeks ago had been one of doom and gloom, of the worst performance in the team's history, now some were even thinking of a miraculous recovery. Looking at the new group table, they appreciated that they had a second chance. Some of the players who had been ridiculed for underperforming back home had forced the issue, such as Vilo Mulkanov, who seemed to have found his form with three well-taken goals in two games, or Samuel Costica, who had acted like the leader Melody saw in him when she originally picked him as captain.

Privately, Serinev allowed himself to feel a modicum of pride. The team were suddenly operating like a functioning machine, and not the rusty one that had lost three games in a row very recently. This feeling lasted roughly until he found the armbands. His worst suspicions told him that the primary use of armbands on a football field were to make a point.

"And what the hell are these doing here?" he'd demanded of Malen Elkinič, in whose possession he'd found them, while waving the offending bright red items around.

"Well, they're- haven't you seen the news lately? The situation at home has been all over-"

"Of course I have, but what does that have to do with anything?"

"Well, some of the team were going to wear them before the next game, you know, as a mark of support."

"Support of what, Malen?" The manager's face was swiftly matching the colour of the armbands. "A cure for AIDS? The right to wear armbands? Hell, red is one of Gregoryisgodistan's colours, maybe you're supporting the right of their people not to get shot in the face by their leader?"

"No, of course not, it's just- our government-"

"I thought you had more sense than that," Serinev chided his player. "Have you discussed this with the rest of the team?"

"Some of the lads, yeah, but-"

"Some. Why some, exactly? Why not all?"

"Because I only know some who'd be interested-"

"Exactly!" He wasn't inclined to let the midfielder finish explaining himself. "I know that what's going on back home matters to everyone here. I bet every single one of the lads has a deep personal story about what's going on right now, and I'm sure you do as well, but this isn't the way to do it. I'm not going to have our team fall apart at such a crucial time, you got that? You're not to wear anything supporting any People's Front or Popular Front or Patriotic Front or any other Fronts. Go on, get going."

That encounter had made Serinev more apprehensive than he would have liked. He overheard snippets of conversation that he didn't want to hear in his team, things about politics that had rarely been openly discussed amongst Kinitaria's sportsmen. Each time, he was there to tell them to cut it out, but he couldn't help but feel that this entire situation was about to spiral out of control. It was his job to get their focus back to football, before the three games that would determine their fate.
Technocratic State of Kinitaria | capital: Mi'ato | RP population: 145 million | demonym: Kinitar
trigramme: KIN | colours: blue and yellow | languages: Kinitar (de facto) and English | island nation | MT
Weather in Mi'ato | Litora | Serenberg

Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.26

Champions: Baptism of Fire 47 | Hosts: Baptism of Fire 52 (with Legalese), Cup of Harmony 60 (with Kazamatsuri), AOCAF 43

The Archregimancy
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:22 am

To: Nicolaus of St. Petrus, Church of Iesus Christus
Subject: Your Forthcoming Council

Dear Nicolaus,

Our agents in our JEDI office have made us aware that you recently invited the former Monastic Football Association, now apparently known as the "SITH", to a forthcoming council you plan on holding.

We would like to reiterate that the SITH have no jurisdictional or canonical status within the Autonomous Holy Synod the Archregimancy or the Orthodox Church of the Holy Empire. This small organisation of fringe malcontents therefore has no right to represent the Archregimancy, the OCHE, or indeed Orthodoxy more broadly. While we understand that they have already refused your no-doubt well-intentioned invitation, their participation in your council would not have been to the benefit of your reputation or that of your church.

It is important to stress that the intolerant and intransigent attitude shown by the SITH is not shared by the majority of Archregimancy residents, and is not an official position of our nation's religious or secular authorities.

For that reason we would instead like to suggest that the Holy Synod send a small observer delegation from our JEDI office to your council. While we are steadfast in our belief that yours is a schismatic and indeed heretical organisation, there are nonetheless issues of mutual interest regarding the challenges of secularisation and so-called 'liberal' social values where we have common goals, and where we can usefully share notes and experiences

However, we must insist on certain minor conditions before we send our observer delegation:

1) Your letters consistently refer to your council as an "ecumenical council". We cannot accept this designation, which has a specific theological meaning within Orthodoxy. We would therefore like to ask you to rename your council as a "council for ecumenical dialogue".

2) Archregimancy observers will not be required to attend any session designed to reach agreement on, or resolve disagreements over, theological issues; nor shall they be asked to sign - nor will they agree to sign - any statement of agreement over faith.

3) Participation of Archregimancy observers shall be limited to issues involving social and political issues - not theological issues - unless agreed upon by both our delegation and the organisers.

4) Official documents mentioning exchanges between the Archregimancy observers and other participants shall refer to these exchanges as "discussion" rather than "dialogue"; this need not preclude you describing other exchanges not involving the Archregimancy observers as "dialogue".

We hope you will find these conditions to be fair.

To show that this letter is intended in a genuine spirit of outreach, we also include presents of an icon of the Theotokos and an Archregimancy national football team scarf.

Yours in Christ,

Metropolitan Mark +

Alasdair I Frosticus
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Alasdair I Frosticus » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:43 am

Scores

Your Royal Highness,

We have received several answers in reply to your query regarding different national definitions of "chap", and have collated and summarised these for you.

We would particularly draw your attention to the fine poem from Sargossa, which brought a tear to many a chap's eye here at the Club; we recommend this be read out at the opening ceremony.

Senor Castro from San Jose Guayabal also sounds like a decent sort, though his name makes him sound suspiciously like a ... foreigner.

The Euran entry has merit, though regrettably it simply wouldn't be sporting to massage the remaining Licentian Isles and Milchama results to Eura's benefit - though we must concede that Major Bartholomew Bartley IV has very much captured the essence of being a chap.

We would also note the error in Item 3 from the Nephara entry, where president Rensenbrink seems to have mistakenly written "fans" instead of "women".

We have not given up hope that there might yet be further entries in reply to your question.

Yours,

Gennadios Palaeologo
Honorary Secretary
Imperial Club
Last edited by Alasdair I Frosticus on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?

The Fallenmark Islands
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 02, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Fallenmark Islands » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:44 am

Alexsandr van Sorensen was in a reflective mood. He refused to get angry at the situation he found himself in anymore. Some managers might fret, panic, shout a lot, or just generally lose the plot, but that was precisely where Alexsandr looked to set himself aside from the pack. In The Fallenmark Islands, he'd landed himself a job where his almost legendary status for the Terns dovetailed neatly with the political expectations the ruling Party held for the team; resulting in a situation whereby Alexsandr was almost untouchable. One less thing to worry about.

Nonetheless, the fact of the matter was that even at the half-way point the campaign had been written off as a disaster. From Baptism of Fire runners-up to sitting on the bottom of the table at the half-way point with only a single point to show for their efforts. It was quite the fall from grace. He'd searched for a way to get the team to play to expectations, but it turned out that the Herons were not all that good at travelling. The irony wasn't lost on him. It was either that, or the sensation of losing in a final had been more crushing for them than he'd thought. He'd been angry at the results at first, of course, but as the points continued to refuse to roll in, he'd become more philosophical. He'd worked his way through most of the stages of mourning already, so why bother worrying over results at this point in the campaign? Might as well use each match as a training exercise and teach the team to roll with the punches. The campaign had been written off a long time ago, after all.

Even so, losing match after match can be exhausting, and a much-needed trip home to recharge the batteries saw Alexsandr standing under a flying stone archway on the side of the extinct volcano that Jan Mayen was built on. In front of him and way down on the shoreline, the lights of the famous Jan Mayen Crescent were starting to come on in the early dusk by the harbour. Behind him, the graveyard that housed his mother lay peacefully in the fading light and the gathering damp, nestled in its outstandingly peaceful environment.

Alexsandr turned from the view and walked back to the headstone that bore his mother's name. Alicia van Sorensen had died in childbirth, and Alexsandr never knew her. Despite this, today just as any other day, his mother's grave was a tremendous source of strength for him. He knelt down and brushed a few trailing leaves away from the stone, feeling the warmth and colours dance around his tastebuds as he did so. He chuckled and wondered not for the first time what his mother would have made of her little synaesthetic footballing prodigy. He'd spent many evenings in his youth talking in sign language with his father about her. Her ways, mannerisms, quirks, sense of humour, and her kindness. That was the message that came through strongest no matter who he spoke to about her. Kindness. No doubt she'd have plenty of advice. His father had plenty, of course, but much of it was full of tips about where Alexsandr was going wrong tactically, and signed far too fast for him to make out. He laughed softly to himself as he sat down with his back to the headstone and stretched his creaking legs out in front of him; he loved his father dearly, even if neither of them would ever hear the other speak, but there was always a certain amount of sports fanaticism that he was unable to separate from his more parental role, and sometimes, just sometimes, Alexsandr needed a kind word that wasn't about offside traps or the best time to make a substitution.

Sometimes, just to hear the words out loud would have been welcome. Alexsandr was a synaesthete, and he'd been seeing his father sign all his life, a consequence of which was that colours and, yes, sounds, were intrinsically linked in his brain to the shapes his father made with his hands. But there was no excuse for hearing them first hand rather than as a trigger connected to something else.

He enjoyed the view his mother's graveyard had over the beautiful city of Jan Mayen, and then out across the sea to the rest of the oceanic state of Norscelt. It could have been the synaesthesia, but he'd always perceived the bulbs they used in the streetlights in Jan Mayen to be ever of an ever so slightly warmer hue than the bulbs used elsewhere in the Federation. He'd grown up there, and the place felt warm and comfortable, even in the darkest winters. He'd visited Franz Josef City an immeasurable number of times throughout the course of his career, but the lights had seemed colder than usual the last time. Even after a defeat as expected as the one-nil defeat to the Terns, so much less painful than the defeats SK Franz Josef City had inflicted on Alexsandr's Jan Mayen Islanders back when both were challenging for the title, the city had seemed to give him the cold shoulder. The streetlights and building-side advertisements had shone back off the deep cloud cover to give the entire city a glow of celebration, but it was not a party Alexsandr was invited to.

The trip home, therefore, had done him good. Marylebone might be where he filed his tax returns now, but Jan Mayen would always be his home. It even felt good just to be under a clear, starlit night sky; it was so often misty or rainy in Fallenmark that he was beginning to forget what the cosmos looked like. He looked up as the night slipped closer towards full darkness, and noticed the rising crescent moon over the distant shadow on the horizon that was the island of Surtsey, mirroring the brightly lit promenade of Jan Mayen's harbour-side Crescent below him.

The hum of the funicular railway in the distance whistled through the air, and Alexsandr decided it was time to go home. Standing up, he patted his mother's headstone affectionately, and brushed his suit down carefully. He took one last look out over the city from this delightful lookout point, and then turned to head bath to the path.

The formulae and diagrams were dancing through his vision before he even reached the railway. This time, however, there was a comforting lilac hue to his workings out.
The Commonwealth of The Fallenmark Islands - Pop. 9,400,000
Capital: Marylebone - Demonym: Valhallan (Fallenmark) - Trigramme: TFI
“From the Earth, Prosperity” - A constituent member of The Valhallan Union
Puppet of Polar Islandstates

Jeruselem
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Jeruselem » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:47 am

Princess Amy and the coach Nexxus Drako, and young Princess Laura

Amy: Well coach, we're in the 1st playoffs now. I think our buffer is 8 points and it means the others cannot get more than 6 points from here on
Jayden: Yes, but it's only halfway really. We have to win playoff games
Amy: But it means we can rest a few injured players
Jayden: Yes, some of the older lot need more TLC I guess
Amy: The youngies can get some game time, they kinda need some
Jayden: Yes, the youngies need some game time

Amy: Nexxus Drako sure threw the kitchen sink, soap, detergent, and the cultery at us today
Jayden: They have been winning huge last few game and I guess they were expecting another win today
Amy: Yeah, but unlike those teams we have a real defense
Jayden: Yes, it will be useful when we face real opponents in the playoffs
Amy: I hate playoffs
Jayden: Yes, why can't winners of groups qualify straight?

Amy: 3 way dog fight for 2nd spot
Jayden: We've played all our rivals so we play eliminated teams from now on
Amy: Last two games were hard, 4-4 and 1-1 draw
Jayden: We've done the job, we can rest a few players who kinda need a rest
Amy: We need a fully fit team for the playoffs
Jayden: Yes, last time we in the playoffs we faced Saintland didn't we?

Amy: Yes, not happy about that. Hopefully we can avoid that lot
Jayden: Well, Jeruselem did win it's 2nd set of playoffs so we did qualify
Amy: I do not want to repeat that, we want go straight in
Jayden: I'd prefer we didn't have long playoff campaign either
Amy: At least we have more options than 2nd placed team
Jayden: Jeru FC, 3rd and well ... not even a playoff

Amy: Nevermind, we're fighting on.
Jayden: I want to finish off with some wins
Amy: I don't play for draws, draws are for kids
Jayden: Funny a draw put into 1st spot
Amy: Yes, but a win would be better
Jayden: Say, where's your Mum?

Amy: Don't worry, she's here.
Jayden: I guess she's not into this retirement business
Amy: No, neither am I
Jayden: Probably harassing someone
Amy: It's our job, you should know that
Jayden: Yes, professional harassers you lot are

Laura: When I can I play for Jeruselem?
Jayden: Um, you're too young. Wait until you're 16
Laura: I want to be like mum, grandma, you know
Jayden: Yes, no doubt about that
Amy: I've trained her well. Hopefully we have a cup to defend when she's ready
Jayden: I guess you lot don't give up.
Last edited by Jeruselem on Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeruselem's sports achievements
http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=J ... hievements

Land of the Tiger Princesses

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:04 am

If you need background information..
Someone has hired an assassin who assassinated the former minister for Sports, Jack Hughes, who was involved in a scandal in the last cycle where him and another person, representing the Kazamatsuri FA, had leaks showing the bribery of the event -- where Electrum paid their way for an easy draw in the Cup of Harmony. A trial was set for Azai Kanon, the rep for Kazamatsuri FA, when the key witness, Jack Hughes himself was set to announce, in a press conference, details which would blow the whole trial away. However, he was found dead hours before the conference and Azai's assistant, Kazuyuki Shirai was instead arrested for the murder. The assassin's calling card was accidentally taken by Azai, meaning that the police had no idea an assassin did it until later on in trial (Part 7 or 8).

Due to the assassin's honour code, he kidnaps a defense lawyer's (Justin Themis is the lawyer, Kira Mayuno is the co-counsel) assistant (Rachael Waters) and holds her to ransom and forces the lawyer to defend Kazuyuki to get him a non guilty verdict. The lawyer is currently suspicious on Azai Kanon with the murder but things are not making sense as it becomes increasingly clearer that Kazuyuki is not what he seems.. and may in fact have a motive in killing Jack Hughes as well. He has help from a police officer (Det. Raynald) who was kicked out of the case by the former prosecutor prosecuting the case (Prosecutor Aitkens) before she was shot on the morning of the trial. Replacement Prosecutor Keyes stepped in and is a friend of Justin Themis. Both detective and prosecutor know of the kidnapping and what would happen if Kazuyuki was found guilty.

Angel Meyer is an old crone and is the chief of security in the hotel. She has a grudge against Kira and Justin after they discredited her testimony on the first day of trial. Nikola Stevens is the maid of the hotel, and is friendly with the pair. They met in the first day when they were investigating... and was the one that gave them the receiver which gave them contact to the assassin which was holding Rachael hostage... She could be pivotal to the case.

Part 8 - Day 3 - Investigation 2

Intro|Part 1|Part 2|Part 3|Part 4|Part 5|Part 6|Part 7

Justin Themis: Radio interference? What's that?

Det. Raynald: Basically when two signals are sent on the same frequency, they tend to jam up each other and cause static interference and that's probably what happened in that hotel room. Something there must be transmitting.There's got to be something in that room that is sending out radio waves.

Kira Mayuno: That's it! It could be one of those spy cameras or something!

Det. Raynald: Yeah! You're right Kira! It could also be one of those voice recorders. Good pickup. Let me just go back to HQ and get out a sweeper so we can find the bad boy.

Justin Themis: Alrighty then. Meet us at the Centralis Hilton, second floor. You know where to go.

Det. Raynald: Aye Aye!

Hughes's Room

Justin Themis: There you are!

Det. Raynald: Let's go busting some cameras, shall we? Alright, so what you should do is just aim the sweeper at where you think something is. The more radio waves it detects, the more beeping, until it beeps really quickly, and that's where you know you find the jackpot.

Themis and Mayuno spend minutes trying to find the device. They look up high, down low, inside the phone receiver, next to the TV, the microwave, without avail. Then, by sheer chance of just waving the sweeper around--

Kira Mayuno: We got something!

Justin Themis: Now that's the last place I expected there to be a signal-- the broken flower pot on the floor!

Det. Raynald: This has to be it. Just let me kick the pot apart into several pieces... Aha! What do we have here! A spy camera! And attached to it is a transmitter... the source of our problem.

Justin Themis: So, that means that the camera isn't holding the data, but is actually transmitting it to somewhere else for storage.

Det. Raynald: That's right. The data must go to a specific place, and it seems to me that there's a timer attached for 6PM... the time of the murder! But, there's no real way to find out who sent the data... Radio waves are used by almost everything to transmit things, even your receiver transmitted at that frequency.

Justin Themis: The time of the murder? This is no coincidence!

Kira Mayuno: Hmm.. this looks like specialised stuff. Something you would buy at a high-end security store, right? I mean, how often would you need a camera so small for "non-illegal" activities?

Det. Raynald: Hey, you're right! Maybe I could run a check on this brand of camera to see who has bought it recently!

Justin Themis: It's a good idea, but we're approaching 9PM. I don't think any store is open at this time.

Det. Raynald: An investigation is an investigation. I'll find something. See you!

Kira Mayuno: Let's say we head back home?

???: Not so fast!

Justin Themis: Yikes!

Prosecutor Keyes: I had a feeling I'd find you here. I'd just like to let you know that a kidnapping response unit has been organised with the task of finding Rachael. I hope you know how much we're sincerely trying to get her to justice.... So. You found a spy camera in that flower pot eh?

Kira Mayuno: Prosecutor, it's very rude to eavesdrop you know!

Prosecutor Keyes: Regardless, it's fruitless trying to find the source of the camera. One look at the flowers and you can instantly tell that they were bought in the flowershop of the hotel lobby. I'll go follow this one up with the florist, but you go do your thing... That is, if you're sure that your client is innocent.

Justin Themis: What do you mean by that?

Prosecutor Keyes: Do you really think poor Azai really did kill Jack Hughes? It's just so... uncharacteristic of her. Find the truth. The truth will guide your choices. Good bye.

Kira Mayuno: Justin, I really hope they do find Rachael soon...

Justin Themis: The police can do whatever they want, but if they can't... as long as we win tomorrow, then we will be absolutely fine. The real person who killed Hughes was the assassin...

Kira Mayuno: But who ordered the assassin to kill Hughes?

Justin Themis: That's the real question. Of course, that person is still a killer as well. Just who could hire him?

Kira Mayuno: If it were... Azai... then why would she stab the corpse herself?

Justin Themis: No... If only we could find out the secret that was going to be revealed. We could then solve everything. Anyways, let's go.

Hotel Lobby

Angel Meyer: You two again! You know, that prosecutor went up to me and said that if you two cause any problems, I am welcome to lash at you!

Kira Mayuno: We didn't do anything, we promise!

Angel Meyer: You just can't trust youngins to keep their word!

Justin Themis: Angel, please we're investigating.

Angel Meyer: I suppose you want to learn more about Azai and Kazuyuki right?

Kira Mayuno: You think we can rely on her for info?

Justin Themis: I guess it wouldn't hurt...

Angel Meyer: This old lady can hear you, you know! Anyways, those two. Kazuyuki was supposedly the personal assistant of Azai Kanon, but get this, back then in Mizuyuki, those two actually had reverse roles. I forget what she does now, but apparently, Azai usurped Kazyuki's position, swapping roles essentially.

Kira Mayuno: You think that's what Prosecutor Keyes meant by "reversed roles"?

Justin Themis: I think you're right. Thank you for the tip Angel.

Angel Meyer: Was that an underhand insult?

Justin Themis: No sir! We'll be off now!

Kira Mayuno: Let's go to the Police HQ, see if they have any updates for us.

Justin Themis: Good idea.

Police Headquarters

Commissioner: Hello, Chief Commissioner of the Greater Centralis Police here. I'm Sam McCain. I hear that you're involved in that case of the killing of Jack Hughes?

Justin Themis: That's right.

Commissioner: In that case, you may want to know that we have a witness for tomorrow.

Justin Themis: Who is it?

Commissioner: I'm sure you've met them before, but they're in the witness room giving an affidavit as we speak. I'll let you talk to them later, but thanks to Prosecutor Keyes, you have been granted special permission to go to the Corrections Facility to talk to either suspects, the accused, Kazuyuki Shirai and the evidence forger Azai Kanon.

Justin Themis: Thank you so much.

Commissioner: It's the best we can do at 10PM. Good luck for tomorrow. Oh-- and can I have your number, just so we can call you when there are new developments?

Justin Themis: You want my phone number so you can call me-- I see. Right. Here's my number.

Kira Mayuno: Which one shall we interrogate first?

Justin Themis: I wouldn't call it an interrogation... more like a questioning. Besides, why can't we have both?

Kira Mayuno: I guess we can start with our own client first.

Corrections Facility

Kazuyuki Shirai: I can't believe it! It's you! You did a good job in court today. I never knew that Azai could do such a thing...

Justin Themis: I guess so. My main aim right now is to get you own by any means necessary.

Kazuyuki Shirai: That's right.

Kira Mayuno: Anyways, let's talk about your relationship with Jack Hughes. About this press conference...

Kazuyuki Shirai: What, the big reveal?

Justin Themis: Just what is this big secret everyone is talking about?

Kazuyuki Shirai: You have no idea what it is... do you? It's nothing at all. I don't really care about Jack Hughes. Besides, wasn't it Azai Kanon the one he was investigating?

(Gah! He's not giving anything away!)

Justin Themis: Do you know about the talks Azai and Jack had? Especially the memo he sent her to come to her room?

Kazuyuki Shirai: I don't know the details.

Kira Mayuno: Yeah, I think we're getting nowhere here. Let's question Azai for more information.

Kazuyuki Shirai: A 'bye' would be nice...

Azai Kanon: Oh. Hi there Mr. Themis and Ms. Mayuno. Aren't you supposed to be with your client?

Justin Themis: I'm just here to question you about this case, that's all. I would firstly like to ask you about Kazuyuki.

Azai Kanon: You don't know, do you? The real him...

Justin Themis: But why? You're his manager!

Azai Kanon: That has nothing to do with it. You know... Hughes's investigation. He hid it somewhere and Kazuyuki somehow knows of it, and probably also knows where it is. I just want my hands on it for a second, so I can burn the investigation.

Justin Themis: Then why would you try and frame my own client for something he didn't do?

Azai Kanon: Correction, he did it. And unless you find out more information about Kazuyuki, I'm not talking to you. Because, you are clearly out of your depth in figuring this whole thing out.

Kira Mayuno: Dang.

Justin Themis: My phone!

Commissioner: Hey Justin, this is a message here, come back to the HQ. Our witness has finished his affidavit.

Kira Mayuno: Good timing. I just knew we weren't getting anywhere. Hopefully we can find out more about what happened that day.

Police Headquarters

???: Justin, help me! I've been roped in this trial!

Justin Themis: Not you too!

Nikola Stevens: I have to testify tomorrow!

Kira Mayuno: But Nikola, you're a maid of the hotel! Why would they want you to testify?

Nikola Stevens: I don't know... It seems like I saw something very important. But I can't tell you, the detective told me not to tell anyone about what I saw that day until tomorrow. This might just be damaging to Kazuyuki.

Justin Themis: You don't say...

Nikola Stevens: You know, you pick up a lot of things while you're at the Centralis Hilton. It's where all the elite and famous go and stay in Electrum. One of those things is how Azai was formerly the assistant of Kazuyuki. Now it's the other way round. Lots of other stuff as well about Kazuyuki doing nasty things behind the scenes, especially regarding illegal betting and match fixing... Anyways, apparently I witnessed something important with which the prosecution wants to talk about tomorrow.

Kira Mayuno: No way. That can't all be true.

Nikola Stevens: Anyways, I'm going home now. I need to testify tomorrow and I need that beauty sleep.

Kira Mayuno: OK... bye!

Justin Themis: My phone! It's ringing again.

Kira Mayuno: Just answer it!

Det. Raynald: Justin, you need to come quickly back to your offices. Something strange has just happened. Keyes... you need to come here right now! It's th--

Justin Themis: We need to go back right away.

Themis Law Offices

Justin Themis: What happened Mark?

Det. Raynald: Prosecutor Keyes worked out who bought the flowers and planted that spy camera?

Justin Themis: This quickly?

Det. Raynald: Yes! They got CCTV footage from the florist downstairs, and they know who did it!

Kira Mayuno: Just spit it out!

Det. Raynald: ...Kazuyuki. Your client.

Justin Themis: No... It just can't be. Are you sure about it?

Det. Raynald: Positive. There's CCTV vision of someone of his distinctive hair style walking in, plus we also just received his credit card details from his mail to determine that he bought those flowers as well. Perhaps, he packaged it up as a pretend gift and gave it to Hughes without him knowing. Have you heard anything from the assassin?

Justin Themis: Not since the radio intereference we haven't.

Det. Raynald: I know you don't want to give up... but this.

Kira Mayuno: But I don't understand why Kazuyuki would be spying on Hughes? Surely Hughes was focusing on Azai Kanon the entire time? I mean
it was her name that was implicated as the person who took the bribe from Hughes himself!

Det. Raynald: I bet it was something got to do with Kazuyuki's revenge plot for Azai after she took his role as the Kazamatsuri FA Rep and the
Mizuyuki Figure Skating Federation.

Kira Mayuno: I think that may be it... but don't tell Raynald that he's on track.

Justin Themis: There's just no way this can happen! It doesn't make any sense! Hughes investigated on Azai, not Kazuyuki. Sure, Kazuyuki swapped roles with Azai, but there's only resentment there, no need to kill someone over that!

Kira Mayuno: Maybe it's something else we just don't know about it. Time to go back to the source -- Azai herself for more details. I reckon we can sneak two more questionings of Azai and Kazuyuki before calling it a day.

Justin Themis: Fine. But we'll need to do things very quickly. It's approaching ten and I'm getting really sleepy.
Last edited by Electrum on Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:11 am, edited 7 times in total.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

The Inevitable Syndicate
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 28, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Inevitable Syndicate » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:50 am

Ekitaldia Building, Neorudo

There was still much to be done before the launch of the news network, of course - our website hadn't even been set up, and we still had to get the cameras shipped over from the mainland. That was a task and a half nowadays, as access to the beach that the Mertians were using to cross the Bekk was blocked by Corvidae Forces a month ago, meaning nobody and nothing could escape via boat now. The Rüntenbach forces had mostly fallen back to protecting Mertagne, and I'd seen patrols on the streets from my window most evenings. Did I feel safe? Yes, very much so. Syndicate planes had tried to bomb Neorudo, but had mostly failed. One or two had made their way to key locations, but a lot of the bombing had fallen on farmland, to the west, as some sort of distraction was being played there using wooden buildings and fires. I didn't know the specifics, but it was enough to stop the attacks from affecting us too much.

Now, in the short time I've in Mertagne, I've already fallen in love with the city of Neorduo. The place seems very busy, with lots of construction work going on in all areas. The cafe I like to frequent in the mornings is having apartments built over it - presumably for those who work in it - and everywhere I turn I see men in hard-hats and high visibility jackets walking around, coffee in hand. They almost outnumber the business types in suits that walk along the roads, however none of them outnumber the cyclists. Cars, for the meantime, have been banned for personal use as fuel is a rare commodity at the moment, so cycling has become the primary way for the general public to get around. The government is working on creating a robust cycling network, but the general flow seems to be to do what you want as long as you're on the right side of the road. I daren't cycle on these streets - I have no need to, anyway - as they seem a little dangerous for my tastes.

I was approached the other day by the man who initially contacted me - Terrance, his name is - and we talked about what my exact role here at Ekitaldia would be. They did initially have a man in mind for the job - Freddie Johnson, of Syndicate fame - but unfortunately he declined after his terrible experience at Unsyndicated Press, which was a fledgling news network that was eventually burned to the ground by a mysterious arsonist that hit the news a few years back. They also thought about trying to contact Joel McCardy, but he's been missing for roughly a decade now, after the incident with the helicopter...

Anyway, enough of the past, they talked to me about what my future was to be. I was to be the chief sports writer for Ekitaldia's sports department, which was planning on being quite a big one. It already consisted of three writers, mostly novices with little experience, and I was to try and whip them into shape while also providing articles of my own. My first was to record the frontier's first professional football league - between the two hastily organised teams that had sprung from the woodwork in such a short time, Lehen Neorudo, and Touchpoint Keepers.

Lehen are the first team formed here, as their name suggests*, and are comprised of half the blokes from Beaconsby Flames, along with some fresh young starts that actually look like they know what they're doing. They play a rather attacking 3-3-4 formation, which focuses on the two centre forwards to do most of the work. It seems that they hinge their play a little too much on these players, which is probably what the Keepers (that's the team, not the position [however it's mostly the Keepers of the Keepers that do this]) prey on to keep the competitive edge. Anyway, Lehen are managed by Walt Garnett, which two people might actually know of, if you followed minnow league football down in the Syndicate. He managed Spectres De La Sebald for a short period of time, and the old man is known for being a very pushy manager. His assistant, Derren Fermi-Blume, is a lot more collected, and serves as the "translator" for Walt's angry rants should the team underperform.

So, that's Lehen - what of Touchpoint Keepers? Well, the Keepers are properly amateur on the grand scale of things - these twenty men are a bunch of guys that look after Touchpoint's lighthouses, which have proved instrumental in carrying refugees to Neorudo and the small villages that are cropping up around it. After that dried up (because of Caversham beach), they turned to football, and every week they play a game against Lehen, because Lehen have no other decent teams to play except schoolboys and pub teams. Their manager is their boss, James DeCroix, as he saw a business opportunity in selling tickets to people to watch his employees kick a ball about for 90 minutes plus every Sunday. It was a smart move, and before long they were able to buy their own ground instead of playing in the local park. That's being buil up as we speak, however, so Lehen typically always play at home in the "Secret Sunday" games, as they're called nowadays.

So, by the time they'd asked me to do this, Lehen and Touchpoint had already played six games. Lehen had won three of them, and tied one in a great game that I actually saw myself the first Sunday after I arrived here. As to which of the two teams I preferred, while I was meant to stay neutral, I secretly preferred the Keepers (much more after they sent me a scarf in the mail after I bought a season ticket for their stand in Lehen's stadium - Neorudo City Stadium). So with six games under their belt, the "league" was getting quite competitive, and the table looked like this:
*                       Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Lehen Neorudo 6 3 1 2 8 5 +3 10
2 Touchpoint Keepers 6 2 1 3 5 8 −3 7

I walked on down to Neorudo City Stadium, which was quite impressive - it was a remnant from the days it used to be a fully fledged city-state and was as big as the Flynn Arena! I was suprised they hadn't used this was some sort of refugee camp, but then looked around at all the empty buildings in the capital district. Any one of them would do. So, walking in to the stadium was still quite a rush, as all these faces looked around to buy tickets and sit down to watch the game. I approached a security guard, handed him my new Ekitaldia name badge, and was escorted to a private box!

That was one of the best games of football I'd watched in a long time, mostly because I was treated so well while doing it. I was the only VIP in the whole stadium, which was 90% empty stands anyway, and the players on the pitch played very well. The final score was, annoyingly, 3-2 to Lehen, but it was still fun to watch. Lehen only really bought it back in the second half, anyway.

I wrote up my story on it into the night, and when I finished, I was politely informed by Terrance that it would actually be among the first to go up onto the new website. A small victory for my career reboot. Here's hoping that it'll spring me to success once again...

*Lehen is Mertian for "First"
Last edited by The Inevitable Syndicate on Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Inevitable Syndicate - Host of World Cup 66 with Audioslavia
Precursor to Mertagne (same user) and Euran Oceania Territories (IC)

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:52 am

Lord Almighty Gregory's Speech to the People

"Good morning, ladies, gentlemen, and slaves. It is now only three months until Creation Day, when we celebrate the 2,014th anniversary of the day I created the multiverse, November 5, Year 0000. On glorious Creation Day, as you know, you must sing hymns of praise to me, the True Lord, for 24 straight hours, pausing every hour to sing the national anthem. It is also forbidden to eat or drink on Creation Day, under penalty of death to you and your family. Fasting in tribute to the True Lord is a glorious tribute, one that all Gregoryisgodistanis must pay once per year.

"This year, I am announcing an initiative. We will invite visitors from all countries, even those on our Enemy List, to travel to Gregoryisgodistan to attend a Creation Day service. Naturally, those on our Enemy List will not be killed. Furthermore, our military is planning to kidnap 10 random Saintland citizens to attend a Creation Day service in the hopes that they will enjoy it and spread the Church of Gregoryisgodistan back home instead of the Church of Lies. They will be kidnapped in the days leading up to Creation Day, but we will not announce when. That way, Sanctii will all tremble as Creation Day approaches in fear that they will succumb to the True Lord, me, not this "Eye-ee-zus" fellow who most normal heathens call Jesus with a J. Not only is Saintland full of heathens, it is full of heathens who can't spell. They should all go to a Spelling Reeducation Camp. But we will address that later.

"For now, I will issue an offer to King Petrus. Legalize the Church of Gregoryisgodistan in Saintland and allow us to promote our ways there, and we will not kidnap your citizens for a Creation Day service. Even if we do kidnap them, they will be returned safe and sound after Creation Day as long as they do not resist or do anything stupid like eat or drink on Creation Day. But we will take all their food from them and not give them any that day, so it's not going to be an issue. I have one more thing to say - DEATH TO SAINTLAND!"
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
World Indoor Soccer Championship 6 - 2nd place
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
WB XXII 10th Place in Casaran, advanced to Round of 32
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,