NATION

PASSWORD

The Kinitaria & Legalese Bid for the 52nd Baptism of Fire

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]
Legalese
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 12, 2004
Left-wing Utopia

The Kinitaria & Legalese Bid for the 52nd Baptism of Fire

Postby Legalese » Wed May 08, 2013 5:32 pm

The Kinitaria and Legalese host bid for the 52nd Baptism of Fire

And yes, with that bloody weird format again...

About Legalese: Legalese is a northern Atlantian Oceania nation with a wide-ranging history. Internationally, it is most known for its presence in the World Cup Community, having been the tri-host of World Cup 22, as well as hosting AOCAF 5, co-hosting the 11th and 13th Cups of Harmony, as well as the ninth, fourteenth, fifteenth, sixteenth, and forty-second Baptisms of Fire. Amazingly, Legalese has never performed well on the pitch, having only one Cup of Harmony trophy, as well as only two World Cup qualifications on merit.

About Kinitaria: Kinitaria, located in southern AO, was once a nation left devastated by civil unrest, economic crisis, and the collapse of a decades-old dictatorship. Since then, incredible work has been carried out by the government and people of Kinitaria to give the country both military and economic strength, while maintaining a high standard of living. Kinitaria is home to some 145 million people, largely concentrated in the south and south-east of the country, typically around the capital of Mi'ato and the sprawling industrial towns and cities in the south-east. The far north of the country sees its landscape dominated by towering peaks and wide valleys, while the south-east enjoys a much more peacable and agricultural way of life. The nation is also home to a modernising infrastructure, with the government currently in the process of revamping the nation's road, rail and sea transport en masse. A high-speed rail link is being developed between the major cities of Kinitaria, and subway systems can be found in Mi'ato and Kinitaria's second city, Serenberg, with future developments planned for other areas of the country. The highest position in the Kinitar state is that of Premier of the People's Council, the holder of which effectively functions as head of state and commander-in-chief of the armed forces. This position is currently held by General Radovan Kucinič, who assumed the post recently following a successful career in the armed forces and on the back of his predecessor's terrible approval rating. His style of governance remains, as yet, largely unknown. Historically, Kinitaria has been almost totally isolated from the outside world, a process which has only really seen any reversal in the past ten to twenty years. As such, a Kinitar culture and language developed which is largely different to that of any foreign country. Such an isolationist streak has also made many Kinitars averse to the pressures of globalisation, which is reflected in the nationalistic streak stamped through Kinitar politics.

From a footballing perspective, the Kinitaria national team have won one major honour - the Baptism of Fire 47 - and tend not to do very well in other competitions, having failed to ever qualify for a World Cup or advance beyond the group stage of an AOCAF. Domestically, Kinitaria boasts a league which is recognised worldwide, with a widespread football pyramid aimed at developing football at every level that it's played. A range of modern stadia and excellent training facilities have been developed throughout the country in recent years.

Format: The co-hosts have decided to utilize the Casaran-system format, feeling that it is a system that lends itself well to the Baptism of Fire. For those unfamiliar, the Casaran-system tournament works like the traditional group-stage format in that the tournament takes place in two stages, only with a different format in the initial stage.

Rather than a multi-group round-robin opening, the initial stage is known as the Casaran stage. The Casaran stage utilizes a single-table format, pairing teams day-by-day based on their current results. The opening matchday will be determined by a random draw, where all teams will be assigned to one of the many stadia made available for the competition in Kinitaria or Legalese. For the remaining four matchdays – yes, there will be five in total for the Casaran stage - teams are “bracketed” by points, and paired within these “brackets”. This format helps keep better performing teams (which in the BoF is largely the RPing teams) together in the competition, but provides an opportunity for all to pick up some experience all the way through the end of the Casaran stage.

For more specific details on how Casaran works, as well as the sort order (generally known as “tiebreakers”, but in this instance, cannot be considered such, as will be clear shortly), please click on the spoiler:

Okay, now you get the see the nitty gritty. Here’s how the pairings work after each matchday:
First, the table is formed, sorting teams in the following order:
-Strength of Victory (this is the total points earned by teams you have beaten, plus 1/3 of all points earned by the teams you have drawn with)
-Strength of Schedule (the total points earned by all opposition)
-Goal Difference
-Overall RP score
-A random number draw simulating a coin flip

Next, teams are bracketed. We start at the top of the table, and look at how many points the team in first has, and compare it with the team in second. If the totals match, you continue on with the third team, setting the bracket to contain all teams that are level on points with the top team. If either the second place team has fewer points than the current leader, or there are an odd number of teams in this first bracket, then the team at the bottom of the bracket (or the only team, if there is one) is separated out into their own bracket, and joined with the team directly below them in the table. This process repeats with the next unbracketed team in the table, putting those level of points with them in a bracket together, until all teams are bracketed.

After bracketing, teams are then paired within their brackets. We use a top-bottom method, where the top team in the bracket (in the above sort order) plays the bottom team, the second from the top plays the second from the bottom, etc. This continues until all teams are paired, setting the fixture list for that matchday.

The last thing done is to review the pairings for accuracy, and to make any adjustments for errors and impermissible matchups. In this format, the only impermissible matchup is a rematch – no two teams can play each other more than once in the Casaran phase. If two teams are paired to play each other a second time, the team closest in the table to either of them will be swapped, provided that said swapping doesn’t cause other impermissible rematches. Host discretion will apply in determining the swap, however the procedure will start by looking at the team directly above and below the bottom team in the pairing, and checking if they are level on points; if so, both are checked to ensure that a swap wouldn’t cause a different impermissible pairing – if they would, that option is scuttled – and then compared on the remaining sort orders, making the acceptable change that has as minimal of an effect on the pairings order as possible.

The last step – the swapping of matchups - is the only step done by hand – the scorinator is designed to keep the tables, track results, sort in the order given above, bracket and pair teams, set the fixtures, and detect impermissible matchups.

As stated above, the Casaran phase will consist of five matchdays. After the fifth matchday, all teams ahead of or level on points with the “cutoff team” will advance to the knockout phase. The “cutoff team” (i.e., the number of teams desired for the knockout phase) is the team finishing in the following position, depending on the number of entrants:

If less than 40 entrants: the team positioned eighth (using the sort order) will be the cutoff team.
If between 40 and 64 entrants: the team positioned sixteenth will be the cutoff team
If greater than 64 entrants (an unlikely proposition): the field will be split into two regions, each running a separate Casaran phase; the team positioned eighth in each region will be the cutoff team for that region, keeping the minimum number of advancing teams to sixteen.

Note: the format requires only that the number of teams be evenly divisible by two, with any number over 64 (again, unlikely at the current count) being preferred to be divisible by four (to keep the regions level, as neither can have an odd number – one region will be given two extra teams if a divisible of four is unattainable in this situation that’s about as likely as Audioslavia winning a World Cup*)

The knockout phase will then commence, most likely with an opening round (which will not factor into the KPB outcome for the tournament) to whittle the field down to either eight or sixteen, depending on the cutoff team position. Teams will be seeded by their final table position, and re-seeded after the opening round, with the remaining rounds following a fixed order (i.e., if in the Round of 16 the #1 plays the #16, the winner plays the winner of #8 v. #9 no matter what happens); if the regional format is used, teams will remain separated by region until the BoF Championship and Third-Place Matches.

Scorinator: Just as the first Baptism of Fire was an opportunity to debut a new scorinator, we hope the 51st Baptism of Fire will do the same. Scorination will be done using PowerScore, a scorinator created by Legalese out of the struggles dealt with during the 42nd Baptism of Fire (which like the original Casaran –system tournament, CoH XXX, used NSFS v.2, which allowed for custom fixtures). It initially was an excel scorinator, and used as such for AOCAF 34, before its successor was created using a HTML and CSS interface, and is powered by javascript, allowing for easy browser use. It is designed to scorinate, auto-pair fixtures, and detect impermissible matchups, and uses a proportional threshold formula that provides a little more predictable results than those found by the current scorination formulae, but still keeps things interesting, and provides the usual balance between the three R’s (though rank is meaningless for the BoF). Style modifiers will not be utilized for this bid.

We look forward to your questions, and thank you for reading.

*that joke used to be funny, alas. Qazox, then?
Last edited by Legalese on Sat May 11, 2013 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Host/Co-Host of:
World Cup XXII and LXVIII
Cup of Harmony XI and XIII
Baptism of Fire IX, XIV, XV, XVI, XLII, LII
The Inaugural CAFA Cup
AOCAF Cup V and XXXIV

Winner of Cup of Harmony 55 and Jeremy Jaffacake Jamboree II
Anaia: Like all the best ideas, this is moving from "lampoon" to
"take seriously" rather quickly

(H/T to Mertagne)

Maklohi Vai
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Maklohi Vai » Wed May 08, 2013 5:36 pm

It certainly wins for most unique. That + well thought out + in good hands = I support. Besides the Audio joke, however. He's won it twice now. :p
"For the glory of our people, we govern our nation freely. For the glory of Polynesia, we help and strengthen our friends. For the glory of the earth, we do not destroy what it has bestowed upon us."
Demonym: Vaian
-Kamanakai Oa'a Pani, first president of Maklohi Vai
-6.13/-8.51 - as of 7/18
Hosted: MVBT 1; WBC 27; Friendly Cups 7, 9; (co-) NSCAA 5
Former President, WBC; WBC Councillor
Senator Giandomenico Abruzzi, Workers Party of Galatea
Administrator
Former:
Head Administrator
Beto Goncalves, Chair, CTA
Abraham Kamassi, Chair, Labour Party of Elizia
President of Calaverde Eduardo Bustamante; Leader, LDP
President of Baltonia Dovydas Kanarigis; Leader, LDP
President of Aurentina Wulukuno Porunalakai; Leader, Progress Coa.

Saintland
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Wed May 08, 2013 5:54 pm

I should point out that the next BoF is #52, not #51. The format sounds interesting. Last time, there were 3 RPing teams in my group and only 2 could advance. I think this format would alleviate that problem.

The one question I have is regarding style modifiers. Why would they not be utilized? Does PowerScore not support them?
Last edited by Saintland on Wed May 08, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why I left NS Sports
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games
Official Name: Regnvm Sanctvsterra
Official Name in English: Kingdom of Saintland
Monarch: King Paulus XVI
Demonym: Sanctii
Trigram: SNT

Legalese
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Legalese » Wed May 08, 2013 6:02 pm

Saintland wrote:I should point out that the next BoF is #52, not #51. The format sounds interesting. Last time, there were 3 RPing teams in my group and only 2 could advance. I think this format would alleviate that problem.

No idea what you're talking about :unsure: (Thanks - as you can tell, it's been fixed - my mistake)

The one question I have is regarding style modifiers. Why would they not be utilized? Does PowerScore not support them?

A good question. PowerScore can certainly incorporate style modifiers, and is able to. The main reason, though, is simple: the only thing that, in my opinion, should influence the results in the Baptism of Fire are RP and Randomness, and while style modifiers cannot change the outcome, they add a dimension to it that I feel is more than necessary for a nation's first tournament in the World Cup Community. As such, style modifiers will not be used by this hosting team for the BoF.
Host/Co-Host of:
The Inaugural CAFA Cup
AOCAF Cup V and XXXIV

(H/T to Mertagne)

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Wed May 08, 2013 6:16 pm

*Tears of joy as someone from the BoF I hosted now may host his own* :p

I actually really like the Casaran style for the BoF. It can be complicated, but Legalese will manage it fine. Don't know what other bids may come, but I do support this.
NS Sports’ only World Cup, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey, World Baseball Classic and International Basketball Championships winner!

(Motorsports, college basketball, and volleyball, too)

Specific Titles: World Cup 50, 51; WBC 14, 16, 19, 50 & 58; WB 8, 22, & 40; WCOH 11 & 39; IBC 13.
Also: CR 40 & 43; CoH 39; Swamp Soccer 4, RTC WC 18 & 19; WVE 6; NSCAA 3, 5 & 9; NSSCRA 7
Runner Up: CoH 40, CR 37, 38 & 41; WB 21, WcoH 8, IBC 12, WBC 13, 15, 47 & 48, DBC 21.
WC Qualified for: 45, 46, 49-61, 67, 79 (DNP WC 69-77), 81-90, 92.
XIII Summer Olympiad: 2nd Most Medals
Hosted: WC 54, 67, 84 & 88; CoH 57 & 73, BoF 47, CR 30, WB 16, WBC 18, 26, 40, 45 & 50, NSCAA, NSCH 1; WLC 7, 30 & 33.

New Sideburn
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sideburn » Wed May 08, 2013 6:36 pm

I don't like the lack of style modifiers, but I do like the Casaran. come on two straight wins let's do this
The old ways were best!

Original nation behind Nephara. New Sideburn now symbolises an ideal, rather than a nation.

Wight
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Wight » Wed May 08, 2013 11:00 pm

Last edited by Wight on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
::: WIGHT :::
BECAUSE REASONS

Polar Islandstates
Senator

Founded: Jan 17, 2011
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Polar Islandstates » Thu May 09, 2013 1:30 am

Having been in a Casaran BoF ran by Legalese, I have two questions:

1) The timing in my BoF was frequently off, with days postponed and next fixtures not being posted for a long time after results. This obviously wasn't a complete disaster, but did make for frustrations and impatience, as well as, I think, confusing some users. What assurances can you give that the same will not happen again this time?

2) Having liked the Casaran system (and failed with a bid of my own that uses it) in the past, one improvement in format that I am always keen on in other tournaments is the 'seeding' of a first random draw by the simple means of 'participation so far'. Would you consider a system where the first round of fixtures is OOCly weighted towards a draw that matches teams that have signed up and forgotten against teams that have signed up and posted a full roster with two RPs already? I can't remember if two teams that were hugely active in my BoF were drawn against each other in the first round of fixtures, but it does seem a little unfortunate in tournaments where teams go in unranked that you can randomly draw all the active teams together and have half a knockout field of inactive participants as a result.

Style Mods haven't traditionally been a part of BoFs in my experience, so no qualms there. Nor with the new scorinator.
The True Valhallan Federation of Polar Islandstates - Pop. 51,500,000
Capital: Franz Josef City - Demonym: Valhallan (Polarian) - Trigramme: PIS
sportnyheter.vu - Ides of March Cup
Champions: WC67, CR XIX, CR XVIII, CR XV, CR X, CR VIII, DBC56, DBC20, RLWC11, RLWC10 Runners-Up: WC66, WC65, CR VI, DBC29, DBC55, WCoH18
Third: WC70, WC68, WC57, CR XII, DBC27 Fourth: WC56, CR XXII, RLWC13, RLWC9, WCoH17
“Aut Pax Aut Bellum” - A formerly closed nation that definitely isn't fascist now. The strongest and one true constituent member of The Valhallan Union
He/Him/His

Legalese
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Legalese » Thu May 09, 2013 5:26 am

Wight wrote:Excellent, the Casaran! Just for clarity - will the following day's fixtures will be announced at the time the scores are posted?

And out of interest, not that it should affect voting, but do you have plans to make the scorinator available to Casaran enthusiasts at any point?

Yes. The answer below will indicate why that is possible, but scores and next fixtures will be released either together, or within minutes of each other - though together is my personal preference.

As for the scorinator itself, I am considering it. PowerScore is certainly written with a Casaran focus, but I'm working on making it usable for other formats. I just want to be sure I'm happy with everything first - though we wouldn't be bidding if I wasn't confident in its ability to work properly.

Polar Islandstates wrote:Having been in a Casaran BoF ran by Legalese, I have two questions:

1) The timing in my BoF was frequently off, with days postponed and next fixtures not being posted for a long time after results. This obviously wasn't a complete disaster, but did make for frustrations and impatience, as well as, I think, confusing some users. What assurances can you give that the same will not happen again this time?

The primary assurance and fix to it is with the scorinator itself. BoF 42 - like CoH XXX, the original Casaran tournament (hosted by myself - as Novapsolu - and Casari) used the v.2 series of NSFS, which allowed for custom fixtures, and made it possible, as we could adjust the resume file on our own between matchdays. However, that required hand calculations of things like strength of victory and strength of schedule, and could be problematic, as it proved to be in BoF 42, hence the delays. PowerScore automates every step of the process except fixture adjustment (that is, making moves to prevent rematches), so all we have to do after the cutoff is score RPs, scorinate (which is a button click), copy the results for posting, set the next fixtures (a second button click), review and adjust them (a five-minute process at most), and add fixtures to the post info, before submitting. Oh, and saving the resume file, obviously. No hand calculations are necessary for any of it, cutting down the time needed, and ensuring that barring other unforeseeable circumstances, the schedule we post will be the schedule that is followed without fail.

2) Having liked the Casaran system (and failed with a bid of my own that uses it) in the past, one improvement in format that I am always keen on in other tournaments is the 'seeding' of a first random draw by the simple means of 'participation so far'. Would you consider a system where the first round of fixtures is OOCly weighted towards a draw that matches teams that have signed up and forgotten against teams that have signed up and posted a full roster with two RPs already? I can't remember if two teams that were hugely active in my BoF were drawn against each other in the first round of fixtures, but it does seem a little unfortunate in tournaments where teams go in unranked that you can randomly draw all the active teams together and have half a knockout field of inactive participants as a result.

Style Mods haven't traditionally been a part of BoFs in my experience, so no qualms there. Nor with the new scorinator.

I considered the possibility, but we decided that we preferred the random draw. Part of the interest is the unpredictability of the opening matchups, and this isn't a format that effectively eliminates teams after one loss, so while that is an interesting idea, we decided to go a different direction.
Host/Co-Host of:
The Inaugural CAFA Cup
AOCAF Cup V and XXXIV

(H/T to Mertagne)

Some Village
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Some Village » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:34 am

If I'm in the wrong place to ask this question, please give me a correcting slap and point me towards the right place. It didn't completely seem WCDT as it is applicable on all sort of tournaments and not general enough for general questions. And as Legalese is (according to some) the only one who really gets the Casaran system, I'm sure he'll see it on this thread. :p

In the Casaran system, teams are ranked on points first and then on SoV (Strength of Victory). Why is it not the other way around? It diminishes the influence of the first draw, I think and it shows relative strength in a very pure way. On the other hand, I'm not sure whether you can recover well enough after losing the first game. I first thought about running some tests, but maybe there is a logical reason for it which I'm missing.
Cycling: host of the Island Tours & the WToC
Rugby: participant in the AVRU & host RWC XXI
Swamp Soccer: fourth place in the last World Championship
Korfball: victor of the World Korfball Classic III, second of the WKC IV (KPB: 2th)
Olympics: medals: four. Not too bad for a micronation.

Member of Astyria
Confirmed Puppet: Buyan
Population: 254

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports