NATION

PASSWORD

WC of Hockey Discussion thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jeckland
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeckland » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:52 am

The other thing I really don't like about this proposal is that it puts a pressure on people to RP, even if they might not want to or feel like it. The reason we're all on this site is for fun, and if somoene isn't finding RPing fun and doesn't want to do it, why persecute them (further than getting no RP bonus). This forum should be for people to RP as and when they want to, and further punishing people for not RPing is ridiculous.
Winners: N/A
Runners Up: WBC 30 & 31, Memorial Cup
Semi Final: CE 26, WBC 35, WLC 20

Buyan
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Buyan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:25 am

Maybe it's a sillybilly idea of mine, but couldn't you simply 'solve' (whether it needs solving is debatable) that by handing out bigger RP bonusses?
From Some Village
'Bu', like in 'book'. 'Yan' like the cyclist 'Jan Ullrich'.
RP Population: 22 million
Overenthusiast and slightly naive Republic ruled by Sil Moen
State of Economy: deplorable
Weather: cold
Atmosphere: less depressing than before, but only a bit

Saintland
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:07 am

Buyan wrote:Maybe it's a sillybilly idea of mine, but couldn't you simply 'solve' (whether it needs solving is debatable) that by handing out bigger RP bonusses?

Yes. The real danger is in over-reacting to any problem and going too far in the opposite direction. There has to be a balance between the 3 Rs. Yes, making RP bonus too powerful is probably a less bad scenario than rank or rand() being too powerful, but its still not a good idea to do that, in an event where the rankings are supposed to mean something. Generally, I'd say rank is too powerful if the top-ranked nation can win a title w/o RPing, RP is too powerful if a first-timer can make the finals (in a tournament where that isn't supposed to happen) and rand() is too powerful if nations that don't have a rank or much RP bonus are going deep into the tournament at the expense of ranked nations and/or active RPers.
Why I left NS Sports
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games
Official Name: Regnvm Sanctvsterra
Official Name in English: Kingdom of Saintland
Monarch: King Paulus XVI
Demonym: Sanctii
Trigram: SNT

Gyatso-kai
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 03, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Gyatso-kai » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:28 pm

Glad to see I generated some discussion with my comment. :)
The Avatarian Republic of Gyatso-kai
Denomyn: Avatarian || Trigramme: GKI || Located: Arrosia
Factbook || Armed Forces Holocron
Champions: World Cup of Hockey XXIII, XLIV, XLV, XLVIII, L, AOHC XII
Runner-Up: World Junior Hockey Championship III, World Cup of Hockey XXI, XXVI,
Third Place: World Cup of Hockey XV, XVII, XVIII, XL, XLVII

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 13, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Neu Engollon » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:39 pm

While my RP wasn't anything I would call spectacular compared to what I'm capable of, I think it was adequate. I still lost out in the early stages of group games to those who didn't post roster or RP, despite my being top ranked. C'est la vie. I have to accept the fickleness of Margaret, and hope that as, it has in the past, it will swing my way sometimes.

Anyway, I don't believe that people should be penalized further for not RPing, even though I was on the losing end of that this go round. They don't get RP bonus, and that should be it. As has been said, there are several reasons why someone may be unable to RP, other than just being unwilling to do so. RL should be respected. You don't get your bonus...oh well. Don't penalize people further when they may be dealing with something you have no clue about and could barely fathom, as you may feel a lot of regret afterwards for doing so.
TG me with questions if you got some, especially about GE&T or PMCs.
My Factbook
Important Neu Engollian Links.
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:07 pm

I thought today was an off day for the tournament.
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
World Indoor Soccer Championship 6 - 2nd place
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
WB XXII 10th Place in Casaran, advanced to Round of 32
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WCoH 27 co-host and champs
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:35 pm

Gregoryisgodistan wrote:I thought today was an off day for the tournament.

Thanks for the correction. I've had a pretty downbeat of a day and didn't realise that it's Halloween today :p
WORK IN PROGRESS: The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere: Megathread!

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:34 am

As discussed with Saintland/FFR via TG, when Saintland announced he was leaving, I started to track the rankings for this WCoH in anticipation of there needing to be a new person. After he said he was not leaving, I kept tracking them because I was curious where I would wind up based on the current results. Since Saintland is still apparently leaving the WCoH, he has let me take over the rankings, and assuming it's OK with Quebec, I will take charge of that. Saintland can confirm all this here if anyone doesn't believe me.

In any case, the unofficial rankings based on the results to this point for WCoH 25 can be viewed at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... NVVE#gid=0. The link will probably still be the same for the post-WCoH 25 rankings since I am just editing them in. Of course, the ranks that appear now should not be used for any purposes and are completely unofficial, but the points for everyone except the four semifinalists will remain the same heading into WCoH 26. Their rankings may shift by a few spots, but their points will not. I used the same method Saintland did, counting wins as 1, draws as 0.5, wins in overtime as 1, losses in overtime as 0, and shootouts as 0.5 regardless of the result, though we haven't had any this tournament yet. This is how it's done in the soccer rankings, with ET results counting but not shootouts.

Edit: A double-check revealed Estope's rank was wrong, so I fixed that. There was someone else viewing the rankings at the time, though I don't know who. I just wanted to let whoever it is know I wasn't doing anything improper. Rather, I was fixing a mistake I noticed. I apparently never included their two losses against Havl in the Round of 16.

Edit 2: Some nations which did not participate in WCoH 25 have weird numbers for the games played because I did not bother changing that data from what was already there. However, since 0 divided by anything is 0, this doesn't have any effect.
Last edited by Gregoryisgodistan on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Saintland
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:23 am

What Greg said is correct.

I would recommend removing the 0s for those who didn't compete in the current WCoH, as leaving those cells blank has the same effect as entering a 0 and the absence of anything in those cells indicates that they did not participate in the tournament (the games played being unchanged from WCoH 24 also does the same, but it would get confusing if similar formats were used for consecutive editions). By the way, Estenia and Muriburiland (both of whom entered WCoH 24 and lost all their games) are missing from the rankings. That's not particularly important, though, since both of them would have a ranking of 0 anyway and being ranked with a ranking value of 0 is functionally no different (in WCoH) than being unranked (this isn't the case in the World Cup of Soccer or the World Bowl, due to BoF and BoI eligibility rules, respectively).
Why I left NS Sports
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games
Official Name: Regnvm Sanctvsterra
Official Name in English: Kingdom of Saintland
Monarch: King Paulus XVI
Demonym: Sanctii
Trigram: SNT

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:05 am

Saintland wrote:What Greg said is correct.

I would recommend removing the 0s for those who didn't compete in the current WCoH, as leaving those cells blank has the same effect as entering a 0 and the absence of anything in those cells indicates that they did not participate in the tournament (the games played being unchanged from WCoH 24 also does the same, but it would get confusing if similar formats were used for consecutive editions). By the way, Estenia and Muriburiland (both of whom entered WCoH 24 and lost all their games) are missing from the rankings. That's not particularly important, though, since both of them would have a ranking of 0 anyway and being ranked with a ranking value of 0 is functionally no different (in WCoH) than being unranked (this isn't the case in the World Cup of Soccer or the World Bowl, due to BoF and BoI eligibility rules, respectively).

Fixed.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Postby Neu Engollon » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:52 pm

Neu Engollon wrote:So, the Ibex will be needing a new Head Coach. I would prefer one from one of the top 10 ranked nations, or at least top 20, but they don't have to be former coaches or management. Former national players would be acceptable, too.
Please contact me if you're interested.

Still taking TG apps for this. Just a reminder.
My Factbook
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:03 pm

Today's RP cutoff will be delayed by 30-60 minutes due to myself not being available in laptop for the entire RP Cutoff window.

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Havl
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2004
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havl » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:17 pm

My laptop was stolen at work today. I don't think I'll be able to post anything worthy of the Finals. It's an awful feeling and awful timing.
Same flag, same motto, same whatever since 2004.
Champions: World Cup of Hockey 20, 21, 22, 25
Hosts: NationStates Sports Car Series 1, 2, 3, 4

Aquitayne
Senator

Founded: Jun 24, 2011

Postby Aquitayne » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:18 pm

That ranking table looks really nice, Greg. Well done.
[ Embassy Program | A Collection of Essays | Parliamentary Hansard | Axalon Private Military Company | My iiwiki Page ]
[ W&A: Global Intelligence | Aquitaynian Foreign Legion | Affairs of the Region | Freyport Armory ]

I'm a former N&I RP Mentor, not very active these days but feel free to reach out if I can help with anything!

"When you have power, use it to build people, not constrict them."-Bertrand Russell
"I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends."-Abraham Lincoln

Duderology - The Study of Duder.
16:08 GHawkins I continue to be amazed by Aq's ability to fuck up his own name.

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:19 pm

Aquitayne wrote:That ranking table looks really nice, Greg. Well done.

Saintland did most of the work. I just changed the numbers. It's a lot harder to set up a ranking table than to maintain one.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Vaugania
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaugania » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:09 pm

My cutoff will also be delayed tonight as I need to convene with Quebec before I can scorinate.
My most favoritest picture ever | Sports Achievements | Poltical Test... just as I suspected
Population: 120,000,000
President: Kris Strong
Active Military: 2,000,000
Military Reserves: 6,500,000 (mandatory reserve service from 18-21)
VAUGANIA
RUSHMORE FOREVER
Just call me Vaug. Or not if that's how you roll.

Vilita
Minister

Founded: Feb 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Vilita » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:02 pm

Early lead in the 3rd place playoff :clap:
-¤-¤-¤World Cup 20 Champions¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤World Cup 68 Champions¤-¤-¤-
-¤-¤-¤World Cup 77 Champions¤-¤-¤-

Region: Atlantian Oceania - The Home of Sport

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:31 pm

Ranks have been updated. Congratulations to our new old #1.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... NVVE#gid=0
Last edited by Gregoryisgodistan on Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Havl
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2004
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havl » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:44 pm

Thanks for the Royal Kingdom of Quebec and Vaugania for an awesome tournament!

Commiserations to Gregoryisgodistan. Thanks for a great series!
Same flag, same motto, same whatever since 2004.
Champions: World Cup of Hockey 20, 21, 22, 25
Hosts: NationStates Sports Car Series 1, 2, 3, 4

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Postby Neu Engollon » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:48 pm

Congrats once again to Havl! Commiserations to the rest. Big thank you to Quebec and Vaugania for hosting.
Last edited by Neu Engollon on Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Factbook

Vaugania
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaugania » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:18 pm

Thank you for thanking me people who thanked me. I appreciate you.

Now for a brief announcement:

This tournament was the last of Vaugania. I have decided that it is now time to retire this nation and I will also be going on a hiatus from NS for a little while. I think I've done some good things with Vaugania, but when it comes down to it, it is still something I just put 5 minutes of thought into it when I was 13. So goodbye at least for a few months. It's been good.

Cheers.
Last edited by Vaugania on Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My most favoritest picture ever | Sports Achievements | Poltical Test... just as I suspected
Population: 120,000,000
President: Kris Strong
Active Military: 2,000,000
Military Reserves: 6,500,000 (mandatory reserve service from 18-21)
VAUGANIA
RUSHMORE FOREVER
Just call me Vaug. Or not if that's how you roll.

Jeckland
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeckland » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:33 am

Vaugania wrote:Thank you for thanking me people who thanked me. I appreciate you.

Now for a brief announcement:

This tournament was the last of Vaugania. I have decided that it is now time to retire this nation and I will also be going on a hiatus from NS for a little while. I think I've done some good things with Vaugania, but when it comes down to it, it is still something I just put 5 minutes of thought into it when I was 13. So goodbye at least for a few months. It's been good.

Cheers.

Wow, bye Vaug, you will be missed. Look forward to seeing you back with a new nation!
Winners: N/A
Runners Up: WBC 30 & 31, Memorial Cup
Semi Final: CE 26, WBC 35, WLC 20

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:33 am

World Juniors signups are now up.

It looks like we need to get back on some track with some decisionmaking stuff as well. This was what's proposed the last time:

Gregoryisgodistan wrote:Since we need to codify the procedure in case the VP becomes vacant again, I propose we amend the constitution to add the following text to the section about the Vice President:

If the Vice Presidency becomes vacant during the term, the President shall organize a vote for a replacement at the earliest opportunity. The procedure for nominations and voting shall be the same as during a regularly scheduled election except that the candidate with the most votes shall become Vice President for the remainder of the term.

Speaking of which, now that nominations have closed, when will the vote be held?

What are we going to do about it? It'd be great if someone makes a formal proposal for amendments, so that this can be put into vote before this WCoH starts, for this will be my time is slowly running out as president of the federation.

Happy 420 Friends!

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:42 pm

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:World Juniors signups are now up.

It looks like we need to get back on some track with some decisionmaking stuff as well. This was what's proposed the last time:

Gregoryisgodistan wrote:Since we need to codify the procedure in case the VP becomes vacant again, I propose we amend the constitution to add the following text to the section about the Vice President:

Speaking of which, now that nominations have closed, when will the vote be held?

What are we going to do about it? It'd be great if someone makes a formal proposal for amendments, so that this can be put into vote before this WCoH starts, for this will be my time is slowly running out as president of the federation.

Ok, fine, I propose the following amendment again.

If the Vice Presidency becomes vacant during the term, the President shall organize a vote for a replacement at the earliest opportunity. The procedure for nominations and voting shall be the same as during a regularly scheduled election except that the candidate with the most votes shall become Vice President for the remainder of the term.

Does someone need to second this or something?
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:52 pm

Gregoryisgodistan wrote:
The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:World Juniors signups are now up.

Ok, fine, I propose the following amendment again.

Does someone need to second this or something?

Amendment accepted. If you guys have any other amendments or issues associated with WCoH to put forward, go ahead and post in the thread. The deadline for amendments will be 12:00 p.m. EST, 15th of December.

Happy 420 Friends!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports