NATION

PASSWORD

Michael VII/Phoenigetuzstha BoF 49 Host Bid

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]
Michael VII
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Michael VII/Phoenigetuzstha BoF 49 Host Bid

Postby Michael VII » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:18 pm

Michael VII and Phoenigetuzstha's Bid for Hosting the 49th Baptism of Fire

An All-Rushmori bid for the Baptism of Fire

IC Info about the two nations...

Michael VII
-Michael VII is a reasonably large nation of 45,000,000 human inhabitants, located on the Southern border of Rushmore. The clear majority of Michaeleans are born and bred in Michael VII, but Meshkets (from Meshkete) make up a large minority presence in the nation, themselves being a self-governing territory of Michael VII, although have their own distinct identity, culture and even language, albeit a dying one. Another large demographic in Michael VII is the Osarian, as the rivalry between the two nations on the sporting plane has stemmed to the two nations openly accepting many of their citizens into their own borders. The two groups usually get along well, both very passionate about their sports, although whenever Utica University or the Osarian National Football team is in town or on TV, some riots may well erupt. Also seen in a growing, but nonetheless small community, are the Mytanars, another nation that Michael VII has excellent relations with on and off the sports field, with many top athletes from both nations leaving for the other nation, boosting the prestige of both countries.

Michael VII is known for it's very diverse weather, and huge river running through it. Often these geographical boundaries create huge rivalries in sport, such as the Frbiba/Jagoza rivalry in the South along the banks of the Jagoza, the New Schmejgland/Kovalchuk rivalry along the Northern moutainside, and the Karoe/Gaetsa rivalry also on the Jagoza, to name a few. The Jagoza River is a huge river running almost the entire length of Michael VII, starting up North in the Alpine district by the mountains in New Schmejgland, running through forest lands, rapids at Bloudem, before dropping into the wide plains of the M7 heartland, before reaching Frbiba/Jagoza by the coast, where a huge proportion of the population lives. Also, out West is a large desert, reigning King of the West, where it is very hot, and a place to hide from the Feds if needs be. In general, the weather is quite hot and dry, though that changes when near the Atlancian Coast and the Northern Alps.

Michaeleans are also huge sports fans, especially at the amateur level where old rivalries die hard. It's difficult to find a place with more local club heated rivalries than in M7. American Football is considered to be the Warm Weather King in M7, especially down South where Frbiba and Jagoza are located, their respective universities having a century old rivalry in American Football that is extremely famous over the NSverse, and ruling the cold weather is Ice Hockey, where the NHA seasons are hugely anticipated for their greatness. That being said, Football is also another big sport, and is growing in popularity as the M7 National side gets better, currently higher ranked than rivals Osarius. The MFA is dominated by FC Jagoza United and City, with Frbiba City being another fan favourite for the less involved.

As for a demonym, don't expect one to say that they're a Michaelean...They're all Frbibans, Jagozans, Jagozer (Banished Ex-Royals), Karoeans, Schmejga, Gaetsans, Bensvillagers...And so it goes on.

The Baptism of Fire will be taken place in the main cities of Frbiba, Jagoza and Riverside City, with 4 stadia to be used following the Michael VII Top League season before the WC takes place. Provided the EWCC approves of this bid...

Phoenigetuzstha
The Desert Kingdom of Phoenigetuzstha is a country with a long and rich sporting and cultural history. Being primarily desert, temperatures in the day can reach above 30°C, and as low as -15°C at night. Phoenigetuzstha is an absolute feudal monarchy, with Queen Laodice reining over Phoenigetuzstha for a number of years now. Some recent exploits of hers include building Laodicaea, now the countries 2nd largest city. Phoenigetuzstha is no stranger to welcoming visitors, as it has been for many years, a popular tourist destination with those outside Rushmore. Many flock to see the hugely ornate desert temples, or the exotic food, but Phoenigetuzstha has also welcomed many international football fans, who have came to Phoenigetuzstha for away matches. 93% of Phoenigetuzsthans are bilingual, 72% are trilingual and 43% speak 4 languages or more, with one of the most widely spoken languages being English, spoken by 61% of the population.
Phoenigetuzstha is no stranger to ethnic diversity, having a large number of Euskals, Crolacians and others living in the country, and we welcome them all, and try our best to tailor to fans needs. Each of the host cities: (Artadates, Laodicaea, Tyreebi, Bybliis and Tigtxidice) all have excellent shopping facilities in the city centre, as well as Artadates and Laodicaea having booming markets on Sunday, were a wide variety of goods found nowhere else can be found. Tyreebi and Bybliis are both coastal port cities, and the friendly rivalry between them has caused them to compete to make their city better, meaning amazing prices and pristine conditions.

Host Experience
Michael VII will be the senior host in this bid, and has hosted or helped host numerous tournaments in his time as a member of NS Sports. Michael VII has been a host of a conference in NationStates College Football seasons 4-6 and helped out in NSCF 3, his debut season in the competition. Along with that, Michael VII hosted two conferences in the most recent NSCAA season for College Basketball. Also, Michael VII has hosted the First World Twenty20 Cricket Championships, Baptism of Iron 11 and World Bowl 17. With this potential hosting experience in the BoF, Michael VII also wishes to enter the WCC sanctioned tournaments as a host for future tournaments like the WC and CoH.

Phoenigetuzstha will be the junior host in this bid, and has had experience hosting tournaments and RPs in other forums on this site. They haven't had too much experience in NS Sports, but the BoF should be a great way for them to get into hosting, while also being able to get guidance from Michael VII if needs be, although that will almost assuredly be unnecessary.

Scorination Details
So this is the most important part of the bid anyway, so we won't keep you waiting any further.

We wish to host this tournament in a pretty standard style, with 8 groups preferably, although will be accommodating 10 groups too, will try to keep number of groups even, and held in a single round robin manner in group play, with the Top 2 teams + any Wild Cards if more than 8 groups, to make the knockout stage of the competition. The knockout phase will be 16-20 teams held in single elimination style, with M7 and Phoenigetuzstha sharing the matches evenly, both in the groups and knockout rounds.

As for scorinator, xkorinate 0.3.3 will be used with the SQIS formula, one of the more trusted formulas on this particular forum. Style mods from -5 to +5 will be used, along with a cumulative RP Bonus system, that should favour those who RP more often and generally care more about the tournament anyway, seeing as the BoF has no previous ranks and relies on RP alone as rank score.

RPs will be graded as the team rank, graded from 0-5 points. This will be based on creativity, originality, and craftiness, all of which are factors for what makes a great RP in our eyes as hosts. The RP Bonus will accumulate through the entire tournament.

Tiebreakers
Points, H2H Goal Difference, Overall Goal Difference, Goals For.

Any questions you have on this bid or comments related, feel free to ask them and we'll be sure to answer them as soon as we can. Please keep us in mind when you vote!
My timezone, Southern Winter (Current Time): NZST, UTC +12, Southern Summer: NZDT, UTC +13

NSCF 5 Champions
Qualified for World Cup 62
Hosted World T20 Championships I, Baptism of Iron X, World Bowl 17, World Cup of Hockey XIX, World Bowl 19

Domestic Sportswire

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Liventia » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:43 am

With all due respect, I find it hard to vote for a bid where the "senior partner" would in most cases be the junior partner in a more orthodox BoF bid. In my opinion both parties would have more luck bidding with WCC-hosting-experienced senior partners.
Слава Україні!

Michael VII
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Michael VII » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:58 am

Liventia wrote:With all due respect, I find it hard to vote for a bid where the "senior partner" would in most cases be the junior partner in a more orthodox BoF bid. In my opinion both parties would have more luck bidding with WCC-hosting-experienced senior partners.

Completely fair call. I at least want to see this bid through, despite the serious opposition in the other bids for this BoF that may beat us. I do feel as if I am up to the task of hosting the BoF, even though I've never hosted a WCC tournament, I'm very familiar with scorination, and have been trusted to host other large events before, such as the World Bowl.

Thank you though, for at least showing me that people are reading this bid.
My timezone, Southern Winter (Current Time): NZST, UTC +12, Southern Summer: NZDT, UTC +13

NSCF 5 Champions
Hosted World T20 Championships I, Baptism of Iron X, World Bowl 17, World Cup of Hockey XIX, World Bowl 19

Domestic Sportswire

Darmen
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Darmen » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:04 am

Will you be able to host both the World Cup of Hockey and the BoF at the same time (should you win both bids), or will you schedule the competitions to take place at different times?
The Republic of Darmen
President: Sebastian Elliott (NLP) | Capital: Scott City | Population: 10.6 mil | Demonym: Darmeni | Trigramme: DAR
Factbook (WIP) | Encylopedia | Domestic Sports Newswire
Champions: CoH 51, CR 13, GCF Test 9, GCF Test 13, WBC 25, QWC 7 Runners-up: CoH 53, CR 10, GCF Test 11, T20C 2, T20C 4, RLWC 10, WBC 42
Third: CR 20, T20C 10, RLWC 20, RLWC 22, R7WC 4, WBC 21, BC 6 Host: CR 9, RWC 18, RWC 26, RWC 35, RLWC 12, RLWC 18, RLWC 22, BC 6, BC 10, WVE 4

Phoenigetuzstha
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenigetuzstha » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:24 am

Liventia wrote:With all due respect, I find it hard to vote for a bid where the "senior partner" would in most cases be the junior partner in a more orthodox BoF bid. In my opinion both parties would have more luck bidding with WCC-hosting-experienced senior partners.

I do agree with you Liventia, but I also disagree. The BoF is perhaps the smallest tournament in the trio of tournament within the World Cup cycle. One would not have the opportunity to become a "Senior Partner" if it weren't for tournaments like the Baptism of Fire, which gives smaller nations in the World Cup the chance to show how well they can host.
WHF5: 1st (24 points)
WHF6: 15th (7 points)
WHF7: 7th (24 points)
WHF8: 5th (29 points)
WHF9: 13th (13 points)
WHF10: 4th (31 points)
WV20: 6th (75 points)
WV21: 9th (72 points)
WV22: 4th (135 points)
WV23: 10th (76 points)

Liventia
Negotiator

Postby Liventia » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:35 am

You become a "senior partner" by being junior partners to more experienced hosts at the WC, imo, or over the course of multiple WCC tournaments. Not simply by hosting one BoF.

Just my opinion, of course, which is open to disagreement.
Last edited by Liventia on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!

Phoenigetuzstha
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenigetuzstha » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:23 am

Liventia wrote:You become a "senior partner" by being junior partners to more experienced hosts at the WC, imo, or over the course of multiple WCC tournaments. Not simply by hosting one BoF.

I wasn't saying that hosting one baptism of fire will make you be considered as a 'Senior Partner'. I was saying that the BoF is a cup were smaller nations (as well as larger ones, as seen from the other bids) have a good chance at being able to host, thereby adding to their credentials, and in the long run, will help them attract a junior partner when wanting to co-host again.

Liventia
Negotiator

Postby Liventia » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:36 am

Not quite, in my view. The BoF is the first impression most newbies get of the WC and its tournaments, thus making it all the more important that the right hosts are selected. It isn't quite a cup for "smaller nations to host"—at least not without a senior experienced host.
Last edited by Liventia on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!

Phoenigetuzstha
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenigetuzstha » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:52 am

Liventia wrote:Not quite, in my view. The BoF is the first impression most newbies get of the WC and its tournaments, thus making it all the more important that the right hosts are selected. It isn't quite a cup for "smaller nations to host".

Okay, maybe I didn't word that right. The Baptism of Fire is a smaller tournament than the World Cup, and perhaps slightly smaller than the Cup of Harmony. Therefore, it is an excellent opportunity for someone like Michael VII who has had experience outside of the World Cup tournaments, were he as proved a reliable host, to begin hosting in the World Cup tournament's. As the senior member he has experience as a host, but the Baptism of Fire is a more manageable tournament than the World Cup or CoH, therefore it is the perfect cup for someone who is keen to one day move on to bigger cups to host something with the same premises.

Liventia
Negotiator

Postby Liventia » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:55 am

Phoenigetuzstha wrote:Therefore, it is an excellent opportunity for someone like Michael VII who has had experience outside of the World Cup tournaments, were he as proved a reliable host, to begin hosting in the World Cup tournament's.

Of course it is—with a more experienced cohost (no slight intended).
Слава Україні!

Polar Islandstates
Senator

Founded: Jan 17, 2011
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Polar Islandstates » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:27 am

On the one hand, I do see what LE's getting at. On the other hand, if every WCC event needed one of the co-hosts to be a member of the EWCC I'd have never got started hosting WCC events either. And I didn't have the benefit of a World Bowl in my hosting back pocket when I did.

There are plenty of choices this BoF however, and I have by no means made a decision yet.
The True Valhallan Federation of Polar Islandstates - Pop. 51,500,000
Capital: Franz Josef City - Demonym: Valhallan (Polarian) - Trigramme: PIS
sportnyheter.vu - Ides of March Cup
Champions: WC67, CR XIX, CR XVIII, CR XV, CR X, CR VIII, DBC56, DBC20, RLWC11, RLWC10 Runners-Up: WC66, WC65, CR VI, DBC29, DBC55, WCoH18
Third: WC70, WC68, WC57, CR XII, DBC27 Fourth: WC56, CR XXII, RLWC13, RLWC9, WCoH17
“Aut Pax Aut Bellum” - A formerly closed nation that definitely isn't fascist now. The strongest and one true constituent member of The Valhallan Union
He/Him/His

Michael VII
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Michael VII » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:27 pm

Darmen wrote:Will you be able to host both the World Cup of Hockey and the BoF at the same time (should you win both bids), or will you schedule the competitions to take place at different times?

Should I win both bids, I will try my best to keep the tournaments manageable, and I think I can host both at the same time, but I would try to schedule them with only a little overlap.

As the WCoH has had to go through a second round of bidding, starting that competition is long overdue, and so I think it'd be best to start it only a matter of days after the host is chosen. After allowing a period of time for rosters and pre-tournament RPs to come in, I'd start the group stage of the WCoH and leave signups for the BoF open. After RR1 of the WCoH group stage I'd close signups of the BoF and open up the thread for that.

The BoF would then start as the group stage of the WCoH finishes, so that I'm only ever dealing with about 20 teams at one time in each competition, which I believe is a very manageable number, especially as only one would have a nation of my own involved in it.

Liventia wrote:You become a "senior partner" by being junior partners to more experienced hosts at the WC, imo, or over the course of multiple WCC tournaments. Not simply by hosting one BoF.

And I respect your opinion. I do agree that that is how a senior partner becomes one, and it is a good way to go through it, although I don't feel that it is necessary in every tournament. I may only be a junior in hosting WCC events, but I believe that I should by now have gotten the trust of the community after successfully hosting one of the largest single-sport tournaments on here, the World Bowl, and the preceding Baptism of Iron too.

Should this bid fail, next time I bid for a WCC event, I would assuredly seek out a senior partner for the bid to be more credible in the eyes of those who have hosted a lot before me, however this time I had no offers from any partners more senior to co-host, and so I went with the offer whom I though would be best for the tournament. The IC relationship as Rushmori nations that are nearly neighbours made it a good idea to me.

If you're ever looking for a junior partner in a bid, you can always feel free to contact me! Haha

Liventia wrote:
Phoenigetuzstha wrote:Therefore, it is an excellent opportunity for someone like Michael VII who has had experience outside of the World Cup tournaments, were he as proved a reliable host, to begin hosting in the World Cup tournament's.

Of course it is—with a more experienced cohost (no slight intended).

None taken, I expected opinions concerning the lack of WCC experience between the two of us, and people may choose as they wish when voting. That being said, the Baptism of Fire is one of the more non-traditional events in the cycle, where formats and scorinators are tested, and even new hosts are given the chance to host. I noticed critique of Qazox's last bid to host the BoF because it was originally too 'normal' for the BoF and could have perhaps allowed for a younger host to take over the reigns. So while we don't want to be giving out host spots for the BoF to complete hosting novices, of which I am not, this tournament is also the most manageable tournament to run.

Thanks for the questions and comments though, keep them coming! :)

NSCF 5 Champions

Domestic Sportswire

Michael VII
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Michael VII » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:41 pm

Darmen wrote:Will you be able to host both the World Cup of Hockey and the BoF at the same time (should you win both bids), or will you schedule the competitions to take place at different times?

Just to add an extra bit too. The Copa Rushmori has still yet to be played, even to the point of not having a host yet, so I'd hope to have that fill the void too, so the WCoH would be pretty much done before the BoF would start, especially as hosting rights to the WCoH are announced in a few days, and we'd all like to start that very soon. Also, my duties hosting NSCF 6 will be over soon, so it shouldn't be a big issue, if even one at all.

NSCF 5 Champions

Domestic Sportswire

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports