NATION

PASSWORD

NSSports Cricket Discussion Thread (OOC)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:16 pm

Liventia wrote:
The Nihilistic view wrote:
Why don't you like them?

Two Test series? What's the point in them? The team that wins the first Test almost always plays for a draw in the second.

Same can happen in any other length of series to the last match, or even in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th matches if the winner of the first match is the underdog. The point is to have more cricket, if you don't have time for three matches but have more time than for one match you have a two match series.
Last edited by The Nihilistic view on Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Liventia » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:21 pm

Yes, but if a team loses the first Test in a two-match series they will get nothing from the series; the same cannot be said of a team that loses the first Test in a series of longer length.
Слава Україні!

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:25 pm

Liventia wrote:Yes, but if a team loses the first Test in a two-match series they will get nothing from the series; the same cannot be said of a team that loses the first Test in a series of longer length.

Well take a five match series. What's the point in them? If a team wins the first 3 matches what is the point of the other two matches for the loser? Or the last two of a four match series? Arguably in a two match series the problem is less since it's only one wasted match not two.
Last edited by The Nihilistic view on Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini

Jeckland
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeckland » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:44 pm

What does ground mod do? I assume it is a number denoting the condition of the ground with -6 being bowlers paradis and 6 being batsmens paradise. Am I right?
Winners: N/A
Runners Up: WBC 30 & 31, Memorial Cup
Semi Final: CE 26, WBC 35, WLC 20

Jeckland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jeckland » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:30 am

Jeckland wrote:What does ground mod do? I assume it is a number denoting the condition of the ground with -6 being bowlers paradis and 6 being batsmens paradise. Am I right?

I get it now. Another question: Do the ground mods have to be determined before a series starts? I think they should be. Say I win my first game with Gloriax. I could then post a ground mod of +6 to try and ensure a draw and a series win.

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:44 am

Jeckland wrote:
Jeckland wrote:What does ground mod do? I assume it is a number denoting the condition of the ground with -6 being bowlers paradis and 6 being batsmens paradise. Am I right?

I get it now. Another question: Do the ground mods have to be determined before a series starts? I think they should be. Say I win my first game with Gloriax. I could then post a ground mod of +6 to try and ensure a draw and a series win.

Of course, such pitch doctoring does occur in real life.
"Do you mean "coming out"...as a Guardian reader would understand the term?"

Jeckland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jeckland » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:25 am

Gruenberg wrote:
Jeckland wrote:I get it now. Another question: Do the ground mods have to be determined before a series starts? I think they should be. Say I win my first game with Gloriax. I could then post a ground mod of +6 to try and ensure a draw and a series win.

Of course, such pitch doctoring does occur in real life.

Kinda against the spirit of NSSport though.

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:33 am

Jeckland wrote:
Gruenberg wrote:Of course, such pitch doctoring does occur in real life.

Kinda against the spirit of NSSport though.

I'm not sure whether style mods make a draw more likely (though I agree that would be the logical interpretation; a flatter pitch is more likely to produce a draw). If that is the case, then yes, I agree it's out of kilter with NS Sports convention - but so is much about cricket. For example, in NS Sports we generally "seed" competitions to ensure fairness; in cricket, teams choose their own schedules and could deliberately choose weaker opponents. More pertinently, in NS Sports double round-robins to balance home/away advantage; in cricket, one team has the complete home advantage and the other none.

The decision is, as far as I'm concerned, up to Liventia/Apox/no one if it turns out we're misinterpreting style mods, but I don't see the need for a formal policy given that preparing a flatter pitch when up in the series is exactly what would be realistically expected in cricket.
Last edited by Gruenberg on Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Liventia
Negotiator

Postby Liventia » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:00 pm

Can I just point out, innings with 0 extras are incredibly rare in Test match cricket. In 2,122 Test matches IRL, there are only 146 entries in Cricinfo's database for innings in which there were 0 extras. This includes 18 innings where a team did not bat at all or forfeited, and one innings (England v SA in the fixed Test) that was 0/0 declared. When doing scorecards, please bear this in mind. For all four innings in a Test match to have 0 extras is unheard of.
Last edited by Liventia on Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Слава Україні!

Nexxus Drako
Envoy

Founded: Jan 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nexxus Drako » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:33 pm

Liventia wrote:Can I just point out, innings with 0 extras are incredibly rare in Test match cricket. In 2,122 Test matches IRL, there are only 146 entries in Cricinfo's database for innings in which there were 0 extras. This includes 18 innings where a team did not bat at all or forfeited, and one innings (England v SA in the fixed Test) that was 0/0 declared. When doing scorecards, please bear this in mind. For all four innings in a Test match to have 0 extras is unheard of.

Yep, my bad. Just hope people see this and don't make the same mistake I did.
Tracker | IIWiki
RP Population: ~250 million
Tech: Modern
Species: 58% Human, 42% Dracon
Leader: President Matthew Parker
Capital City: Drako City
KPB Football Rank - 83Rd (10.51)
IBC Basketball Rank: 13th (8.27)
UICA Rank: 63rd (7.629)
FARF Rank: 1st (22.69)
Host: FARF ARCC
Winner: None
Runner-Up: WHS 1
3rd Place: The Yttribian Open 1
4th Place: Beltane Cup 1 & 2
Founder of FARF (Australian Rules)
Like Australian Rules Football? Wanna have your league go for glory on the international stage? Enter the FARF ARCC today!
Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.79

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:39 pm

As usual, please consider all my scorecards provisional, will be changed if needed, blah blah.

On another note, TBI was definitely a fan of aggressive captaincy. The declarations in Redballer are very, very positive.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:49 pm

Gruenberg wrote:
Jeckland wrote:Kinda against the spirit of NSSport though.

I'm not sure whether style mods make a draw more likely (though I agree that would be the logical interpretation; a flatter pitch is more likely to produce a draw). If that is the case, then yes, I agree it's out of kilter with NS Sports convention - but so is much about cricket. For example, in NS Sports we generally "seed" competitions to ensure fairness; in cricket, teams choose their own schedules and could deliberately choose weaker opponents. More pertinently, in NS Sports double round-robins to balance home/away advantage; in cricket, one team has the complete home advantage and the other none.

The decision is, as far as I'm concerned, up to Liventia/Apox/no one if it turns out we're misinterpreting style mods, but I don't see the need for a formal policy given that preparing a flatter pitch when up in the series is exactly what would be realistically expected in cricket.

I am with Gruenberg on this. It's a fact of RL cricket, apart from world cups the home team has control over the sort of pitch they want the groundsmen to prepare. Often this is set both before the series but also in between matches depending on the team the selectors might select and the series situation. That's the real home advantage in Cricket, especially test cricket. Unlike in other sport's it's not the crowd but knowing your home pitch and having control over what sort of pitch is prepared.

Even at school from year to year our First team coach would look at the relative skill of our likely bowing attack, consult with us the bowlers and the captain and then ask our two groundsmen to prepare our square in the appropriate manner.

To a certain degree this can also be done with the outfield, if relatively one has a big strong team slowing down the outfield can benefit you.

So as Gruenberg says, the spirit of other sports and the spirit of cricket are very different. Whilst the spirit of most other sports is about setting up a fair league system and matches etc whilst on the pitch do whatever one can to win such as coning the ref. The spirit of Cricket is really the other way around, it's about what happens on the field rather than in the setting up of the match or series beforehand.

So it is realistic to set the modifier in between matches as long as it's consistent with the historical aspects of the ground. In RL it takes many tears to turn a wicket from a bowling to a bating paradise. So for one series having a -6 modifier at a ground and then for the next home series this season at the same ground post a +6, that would be irregular. You could do it over several GCF seasons by gradually turning the pitch, just not all in one go. But relatively turning a pitch from -6 to say -3 or -2 between series would reflect what may happen in RL depending on relative strengths of the teams involved and the state of the series. Or even a change in the normal seasonal weather, that can make a different to the pitch.

Though I can never be satisfied in RL, as an all-rounder I like hard bouncy pitches to bowl on but green skiddy pitches to bat on.
Slava Ukraini

Ingla Terra
Attaché

Founded: Aug 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ingla Terra » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:55 pm

1) Is it allowed to post stats regarding the extra runs when my opponent didn't include it in the score card? I'll take it off if it isn't allowed.
THE UNITED COMMONWEALTH OF INGLA TERRA
Region: Esportiva | Demonym: Inglan | Capital: Shiefield | Trigramme: ITR | Population 10,000,000
Puppet of The Royal Barangay

Faschist Deutsch Reich
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Faschist Deutsch Reich » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:02 pm

Seems like the nation was late to the party... I missed out on some cricket!

*Talks to his national side* "Don't worry boys, we will get them next year and we will win!"
RYM Account
Calimama wrote:You are the tech master now, all hail 'O Wise Technical God.

Jeckland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jeckland » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:38 pm

Faschist Deutsch Reich wrote:Seems like the nation was late to the party... I missed out on some cricket!

*Talks to his national side* "Don't worry boys, we will get them next year and we will win!"

You can still singup!

Liventia
Negotiator

Postby Liventia » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:37 am

Ingla Terra wrote:1) Is it allowed to post stats regarding the extra runs when my opponent didn't include it in the score card? I'll take it off if it isn't allowed.

To some extent: No balls and wides are attributed to bowlers. So when Nexxus Drako lists 15 extras in his bowling card (weird in itself since extras aren't normally included on bowling cards), it does mean that the 15 extras should all be byes or leg-byes.
Слава Україні!

Nexxus Drako
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Nexxus Drako » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:48 am

Liventia wrote:
Ingla Terra wrote:1) Is it allowed to post stats regarding the extra runs when my opponent didn't include it in the score card? I'll take it off if it isn't allowed.

To some extent: No balls and wides are attributed to bowlers. So when Nexxus Drako lists 15 extras in his bowling card (weird in itself since extras aren't normally included on bowling cards), it does mean that the 15 extras should all be byes or leg-byes.

I yet again attribute this cock-up to not knowing much about cricket. Now I know this, I will improve on it for next time. I will keep the current scores for each player though, as a convenience to Ingla Terra.

On a side note, I'm reading Cricket's wikipedia article as I speak.
Tracker | IIWiki
Like Australian Rules Football? Wanna have your league go for glory on the international stage? Enter the FARF ARCC today!

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:50 am

Nexxus Drako wrote:
Liventia wrote:To some extent: No balls and wides are attributed to bowlers. So when Nexxus Drako lists 15 extras in his bowling card (weird in itself since extras aren't normally included on bowling cards), it does mean that the 15 extras should all be byes or leg-byes.

I yet again attribute this cock-up to not knowing much about cricket. Now I know this, I will improve on it for next time. I will keep the current scores for each player though, as a convenience to Ingla Terra.

I think you're doing very well. Liventia and others will remember how cack-handed my early attempts at baseball RPing were, but I got into the sport eventually. If you have any questions, I, and I'm sure others, would be happy to try to help.

Nexxus Drako
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Nexxus Drako » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:53 am

Gruenberg wrote:
Nexxus Drako wrote:I yet again attribute this cock-up to not knowing much about cricket. Now I know this, I will improve on it for next time. I will keep the current scores for each player though, as a convenience to Ingla Terra.

I think you're doing very well. Liventia and others will remember how cack-handed my early attempts at baseball RPing were, but I got into the sport eventually. If you have any questions, I, and I'm sure others, would be happy to try to help.

Thank you very much, I'll ask questions when I have them.
Tracker | IIWiki

Liventia
Negotiator

Postby Liventia » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:20 pm

Those sure are some crazy results… batting for 269 overs! Licentian Isles losing by 4 runs – think that's tied for the closest margin by runs in GCF history.
Слава Україні!

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:38 pm

Liventia wrote:Those sure are some crazy results… batting for 269 overs! Licentian Isles losing by 4 runs – think that's tied for the closest margin by runs in GCF history.

I take back what I said about aggressive declarations... Though looking at it, it sort of makes sense. Huge first innings deficit, just batting on to make sure there's no hope. Kind of like an extreme version of Brisbane '10.

The matches in Apox and Schiavonia would have been very exciting finishes.

In other cricket news I finally managed to get round to sorting out the auction for my league, so that will be posted shortly, though I won't be able to start simming for a little bit.

Jeckland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jeckland » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:20 pm

Gruenberg wrote:
Liventia wrote:Those sure are some crazy results… batting for 269 overs! Licentian Isles losing by 4 runs – think that's tied for the closest margin by runs in GCF history.

I take back what I said about aggressive declarations... Though looking at it, it sort of makes sense. Huge first innings deficit, just batting on to make sure there's no hope. Kind of like an extreme version of Brisbane '10.

In other cricket news I finally managed to get round to sorting out the auction for my league, so that will be posted shortly, though I won't be able to start simming for a little bit.

Question for a number of people who entered test players for the Gruenburger T20 - how will you come up with an iC reason they are playing for the test side and in Gruenburg?

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:29 am

Jeckland wrote:
Gruenberg wrote:I take back what I said about aggressive declarations... Though looking at it, it sort of makes sense. Huge first innings deficit, just batting on to make sure there's no hope. Kind of like an extreme version of Brisbane '10.

Question for a number of people who entered test players for the Gruenburger T20 - how will you come up with an iC reason they are playing for the test side and in Gruenburg?

As far as I'm concerned, I'm using fluid time and the GPL occurred before the Test season started. Other people are free to RP their own explanations, however; time in NS Sports is a very fluid concept.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:46 am

Somehow I don't think that record between first and second innings scores will ever be beaten. Though as show with my first test long with others I have observed, such mammoth second innings scores after a first innings slip up are not unusual with this scorinator. Though I thought my 300 plus difference (498/6) with wickets in hand was pushing it.

The weird part is why your team captain would declare with about 10 overs left of play minus time between innings?
Slava Ukraini

Macquarrie
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Macquarrie » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:11 am

Hello cricket community. New nation to the world of NSSports, looking to get in on the cricket action. Is there anyway I can get involved sooner rather than later if possible?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports