NATION

PASSWORD

World Cup 58 RP Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ipeland
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ipeland » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:39 am

A History of Ipelandic Football

Part 3: Money, Money, Money

Welcome to the 3rd part of this feature on Ipelandic football history. If you missed part one and part two they are available in the archives.. If you just want to see the results click here, or scroll to the bottom of the page. On with Part 3.

Part 3 of this continuing series begins in the 1950's, a time of economic boom which lasted throughout the latter half of the twentieth century. It was a prosperous time, and football clubs cashed in on the spare money suddenly found by fans. 1956 saw a record total crowd of 1,003,231 fans attended all of the games, the first time it had gone over 1 million, and a rise of 13.5% from last year. Total revenue from that year was over QI 5,000,000.

On the pitch, the league was basically a two horse race between Melberton Town and Caelon County for the title throughout most of the 50s. Between them they won all the 10 titles, 5 IFA cups and 2 'IFA and League winners shield', a competition between the league winners and the IFA cup winners. The clubs were fairly local to each other, so fights often occurred between the fans of the two teams.

The 1950s also saw the start of a trend called 'yo-yoing', in which teams would get promoted from Division Two and the next season relegated from Division One, the next season getting promoted from Division Two etc. It was a phenomena practiced by many teams, which was probably used to get more money from the IFA, but these suspicions were never confirmed, as some clubs saw a 'two-year' loss after getting relegated from Division One.

1961 saw Walkden F.C., a phoenix club from the bankrupt Walkden Town, gain promotion to Division One after spending 6 years in Division Two. They were relegated that same season, finishing bottom with 24 points, a record low which still stands today. Crowds still grew and grew throughout the 1960s, hitting the 5 million mark in 1969.

Money kept pouring in to all the football clubs, leading to more and more expensive players. The first QI 1,000,000 transfer came in 1973 and a QI 2,000,000 transfer came following year. On the pitch the rest of the 1900s saw little change in the landscape. Still a two horse race for the title, still yo-yoing teams, Walkden F.C. still doing well in the IFA Cup. Division One was renamed the Premier League in 1998, and was reduced to the top ten teams in the last season of Division One. The bottom ten remained in a Division One, which was now situated below the Premier League.

As 1999 ended, many football hoped for something more exciting in the 2000s. They were not disappointed.

End of Part 3. Coming up: Part 4: A Change in the Landscape

Erikkesh 0-3 Cosumar
Neo Japan 1-1 Burchadinger
Octinstine 0-1 French Scandinavia
Ipeland 1-1 Darmen

# Team                     P   W  D   L For  Ag  +/- Pts
1 Cosumar 14 12 2 0 45 11 +34 38

2 Burchadinger 13 6 3 4 20 16 +4 21
3 Ipeland 13 6 3 4 25 21 +4 21
4 Erikkesh 13 6 2 5 12 19 -7 20
5 Gyatso-kai 13 5 4 4 22 16 +6 19
6 Darmen 13 4 6 3 17 13 +4 18
7 French Scandinavia 14 4 4 6 12 16 -4 16
8 Octinstine 14 3 2 9 14 28 -14 11
9 Neo Japan 13 0 2 11 5 32 -27 2
Formerly known as Hutt River

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:53 am

Ko-oren Sports Network

Trip to the archives now that Ko-oren's eliminated anyway

For an extra background story, reporters from the Network have visited the dusty archives of Ko-orenite football, to shed some light on the early begins of the green-blue national treasure that is the national team. The national team that is now featured in the World Cup qualification is the second installment of the national team project, and by far more successful compared to the previous one.

Before this qualification even started, Ko-oren played 32 official international matches. 29 players scored 36 times, and conceded a little bit more than that. The team played in four championships: the Soccer For Hope Tournament, the Cup of Champions, the Baptism of Fire, and one World Cup Qualification. Teams played in that era also include teams that the current national team have played, among them are Astograth, Mangolana and Carasatoga.

The reporters also looked for classic examples of football heroes in Ko-oren’s history. They found a few; Halmen, Richard, Katou and Zhang, the players that played in each of the 32 matches of the old Ko-orenite team; Brand en Everest, the top scorers of the selections before now, and Endou, the architect of the team. Some commentators that were still around then, refuse to compare them to players from the current team; some dare to compare these powerhouses from Ko-oren’s football history to players from now.

Halmen was the goalkeeper in all of the matches for Ko-oren, the comparison is clear: Haki Asgard, the uncontested goalkeeper right now. Zhang looks like Sobek Dehenat in that they both lead the defence, score relatively often and get booked a little too much. Richard and Furu Kii are alike: even though Furu Kii hasn’t played that much yet, both are the veteran strikers of the team. Both also prefer to give assists than to score. Katou has something in common with Horus Buhen; both right-wing defenders that are agile and provide backup for the defense, the midfield and the attack.

Brand and Everest have reincarnated into one man: Koyane Shiribeshi. The top-class striker that manages to score once every match – on average. Now that Ko-oren plays with five midfielders, there is more than one candidate for ‘architect’: Fin Fenner, the young central midfielder, very talented but has little eye for his defending tasks; Ul Leire, the midfielder that is not as talented as Fin Fenner, but still already proved his worth for the team and is not as likely as Fenner to make a mistake; lastly Hama Hel, the 28-year-old that complements both Leire and Fenner for their relative inexperience.

Something that is clearly better than long ago: Ko-oren have played 23 matches so far: 11 ended in a victory for Ko-oren, 5 were draws, and only 7 losses.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:38 pm

“So_ “We played well, but this time around they played even better than that”, is that it?”

“Ur’rmm…
“And “Sorry”…?”

“Hr’rmm.
“Seriously, Hirrdhra, just hwhat do you think went wrong out there today? You girls were all over the place, hardly ever in the best positions to intercept the ball or to shoot: Are a hwhole lot of you
falling ill, or something?”

“No, Urra, at least not as far as I know… and I think that I hwould know if any of the others was hrreally under the hweather. We just didn’t seem to be able to work out hwhere the
Ketharnian players hwould run next, or kick the ball too, even worse than has been the case with some of the other teams that have been ‘anonymous’ squads like theirs is before now. Ur’rmm, I’m not trying to make excuses, but maybeso we’ve somehow displeased some supernatural being or other hwho has some power to influence hwhat happens on the football field?”

“Ur’rmm…
“Maybeso, I suppose. For one thing, it has been quite a hwhile since our latest sacrifices to
Margaret, back at the start of the season, and She is reputed to be on the fickle side. I’d better consult hwhith our chaplain Urrsulha Nightfall and maybeso some of her fellow shabears, to see hwhether they agree. It might be time to see hwhether the Confederal Army can spare a few more ostriches for us to use as offerings before we make our journey away to Valladares for hwhat's likely to be the decisive game of this series…”

(A few days earlier, in a world that’s rather more like RL…)

“Then, in the morning, we need to take a train journey, not a long one, the actual trip should only take about two-thirds of a watch and there are plenty of services running along this route so we shouldn’t have to hwait too long for one neither, east from here to a town named Worthing hwhich is hwhere that person lives… and if things go as planned then he’ll meet us at the station there.”

“Ur’rmm.. but I was told that this is an all-Human hworld. Won’t we attract too much attention, and maybeso get stopped by the locals, if we try to travel in the daylight?”

“The people back home thought of that, too, and sorted things out for us. Our tickets have already been bought and given to me so that we won’t need to deal with the sellers ourselves, there’s these coats and hats we two hwere issued that will help to cover us up and the disguises that our new friends are wearing too, and I was given hwhat sounded like good advice about how to respond if anybody along the way does suggest that we look a bit more Ursine than they’re accustomed to as well…”

“Oh?”

“Ayyuh. You see…”

Suddenly Marra thought of something important that she’d been overlooking. Turning to face the two formerly-Guatemalan dancing bears, she spoke to them:

“My apologies for leaving you two out of the conversation until now, but as you probably gathered Urra and I are sort-of-acquainted so that it just seemed natural to me to speak with her first. Anyhows, as we explained to you back at the ‘car park’ where you were freed from Wight’s custody, I will be guiding the three of you for the next stage of this journey and then Urra will take you the rest of the way and help introduce you to people in your new home. Now, the person hwho briefed me for this mission either didn’t know or forgot to say, can either of you speak — or, at least, understand — any of the Human language that’s known as English?”

The two looked at each other briefly, and then Baloo waved a forepaw at Ggregh in a way that clearly gave the latter the job of answering for them both.

“No,”
he said in Ursine with a rather thick accent that neither Marra nor Urra recognised, “Neither of us: We have only Ursine and small amounts of a Human language that’s called ‘Ehspaniel’.”

“Hokay, that’s hrreally hwhat I expected, and if we do things as was suggested to me at the briefing then it doesn’t actually matter verry much anyhows.”
She turned slightly, again, so that she was now facing Urra as well as those refugees.
“The idea is, if anybody tries to question any of us along the way then all three of you just point those people towards me instead of trying to answer them. If it comes down to it then I’ll admit that we’re all foreigners in this country, and say that you three are tourists and I’m your guide. BASIC has actually managed to acquire passports for all of us from one of this Reality’s other nations, a place called Hrrussia: Apparently things were in so much disorder there hwhen our agents paid the place a visit, a few years ago, that they were able to buy a whole bundle of perfectly genuine passport forms and copies of the appropriate stamps for just a few bottles of Hrrum, and I was told that even if the Hrrussians have actually changed any details of how their passports look since then these ones should still seriously look hrreal enough for us to get by the casual inspection that should be all we have to hworry about. This ‘England’ nation might not be quite as free as back home is — as either of our ‘back home’s are, that is — but it’s a long way from being a ‘police state’ even so. Hokay, so far?”

“Ur’rmm, but won’t people notice that we’re Ursines hrrather than just more Humans?”
Urra enquired. “That would seem a pretty obvious fact to me if I was them, anyhows…”

“Hwell, maybeso some of them might think that, but remember that as far as they know this whole world’s only
sapient beings are themselves and their fellow Humans so they’ll probably think that they’re just imagining that and keep quiet in case the other people around think that they’re mad.”

“Hr’rmm…”

“And anyhows, apparently these English folk are generally so polite that most of them simply wouldn’t think of questioning strangers about their appearances neither…
“Hokay, so some of the younger ones might be an exception to that rule, but we’re getting a train very early in the morning and so it’s likely that
those sort will still be in their nice warm beds hrrather than already travelling…”

“That does sound hokay, I suppose.”

“Good. Oh, and if any of the local adults do ask hwhether we’ve got Bears in our ancestry then I was told that simply responding with the enquiry
“Are you being racist?” should shut them up again pretty quick anyhow…”

“For true?”

“For true!
“Hrright, now let’s have the meal that was left here for us and then try to grab at least a couple of watches’ sleep ourselves before we have to leave for the station. I see that there’s a small alarm-clock sitting on the shelf next to the case with the blankets, hwhich was thoughtful of hwhoever our kind host here is, so I’ll set that to wake us on time. This shed’s locked, so we shouldn’t have to worry about intruders, and there’s a key hanging form that nail there — see — that we can use to let ourselves out in the morning. Urra, remind me if I forget then, we’re to lock up again behind us and slide that copy of the key back inside under the door before we leave for the station.”

“Hokay.”

And so it came to pass that in the morning the commuters in one carriage of a commuter train from Southampton to London (calling at Havant, 6.29 a.m.) found themselves joined by a quartet of decidedly large and hairy foreigners, who chatted amongst themselves in a language that none of their fellow travellers understood.

“Bloody ‘Eee-You’, making us let all sorts of continentals into the country” one of the commuters remarked (somewhat to the Bears' confusion) to a colleague before lowering his head once more to resume reading his newspaper, but otherwise nobody seemed to be paying much attention to the four Bears at all.

(To be continued... again...)
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Taeshan
Senator

Founded: Aug 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Taeshan » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:04 pm

"So let me get this right, we have two games left and most other teams have 3, and we are only a point ahead of not even getting a playoff chance."

"Yes."

"And the team right behind us has one more game to play?"

"Yes."

"Dude we are so screwed."

"Like totally...GF."
Champions - Copa Rushmori 22, Cup of Harmony 35, Di Bradini Cup 19, World Baseball Classic 13, Gridiron World Championships (World Bowl 0), World Bowl 34, World Lacrosse Championship 2

World Cup Qualifications-41, 44, 46, 59, 61(RoS), 62(Quarterfinals), 63 (RoS), 64 (Quarterfinals), 83, 84 (RoS), 85, 87

Hosts-Cup of Harmony 55, Copa Rushmori 14, Sporting World Cup 10,
Quidditch World Cup 10, World Cup of Hockey 41, World Cup 87

Astograth
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Astograth » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:14 pm

Dei Ormache stared out the bus window, the baroque façades of central Rumiatzi rolling by and an orange-tinted sky overhead. They were headed for Grand Duke's Stadium to face Actaris, the secretive country that wouldn't even release the names of their players. It was silent inside, as Pieran had commanded. They were to focus on the task ahead of them, on the three points they could not afford to drop. A game in hand but five points behind Cotdelapoms was a great deal of pressure with only three matches left... only something extraordinary could take them to the finals without the terrifying uncertainty of playoffs.

Ormache knew it better than most. He was the captain, and at 32 years old there wasn't a whole lot he hadn't seen in his career. A Champions' Cup winner's medal was perhaps lacking from his trophy room, but it didn't bother him. He'd accomplished far more than what he'd initially expected. Not than what he'd dreamed, though... any footballer who hasn't won a World Cup and says he's done that is either lying or a huge exception. But yeah, all in all he was beyond satisfied. He'd thought his career was over at 20, with a broken fibula on his medical history and a terminally ill father, on top of being loaned out to his local team, the league bottom-feeders. He just couldn't catch a break at Ituraitz FC, a scant six appearances for the senior team in two years.

Two goals he'd scored for Izurria Pirates, a couple of scrappy efforts on crappy pitches in front of sparse crowds. The sound of the beating waves in the background of one, only the harsh noon sun in the other. That had been his lowest point, but he became aware that rock-bottom is far, far below that. Looking around at his teammates, mostly veterans with not much to show for their careers but injuries and mortgages, he'd realised he couldn't keep this up. Skipping training, staying up late, not really caring for the result of the game. He looked in the mirror and he saw old Lopetegi, a keeper who could barely dive because of his knees but couldn't afford to retire either. Ormache didn't want that, and he kept it in mind when he was loaned out again, to Gortz United.

He trained harder than anyone else, he took care of himself, he ran after every ball and put his heart behind every shot. He scored 25 goals in 24 matches, propelling the humble Gortz to third place of the Northwest Premier League. Ituraitz couldn't wait to get him back, and from there it all came easily enough. The trophies, the money, the caps. The chance to play a World Cup, and to score in one too. Unforgettable, even if he did forget where exactly the tournament had been held.

He felt complete, he felt calm. But as the captain, and at 32, this was probably his final shot to go all the way and accomplish every footballer's dream. And if not, at least he would clear the way for a new generation of Astograthians to do so. The time for Urrustoys, Bulartes, Ormaches and Erburus was close to an end, and he trusted there were yet Sarlanges, Unzuetas, Belartes and others still to pick up the olive-green banner.

But tonight Ormache was as deadly as ever, and in his 121st match for Olibondeka he'd make Actaris suffer.

Antoletia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Antoletia » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:19 pm

Albastru City Gazette

Fire Ants Edge Closer to Qualification

In a world were people starve, people die, and people get sexually transmitted diseases throughout the day it is always nice to sit back and relax and turn the television on to get some weekly calistenics in. No i'm not talking about your daily porn viewing, im talking about the football match you watch every weekend. The beautiful game, not the beautiful girl.
World Cup Qualifications - World Cup 58, World Cup 66, World Cup 67, World Cup 69 (Quarter-Finals)

The Archregimancy
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:53 pm

The Diary of Fr. David of the Woods

Is this, I wonder, what it truly means to be human - that one can go from despair to hope in such a short span of time?

And is there any lesson for me, as an Orthodox monk, in the fact that hope has been renewed not through any action of my own - or of my team - but rather through the action of others? I do not mean this to be read as a denial of my own free will, but rather as a recognition that I do not necessarily have any direct control over how others act via their own expression of free will.

Observe last night's crucial results in the Archregimancy's group:

Cyborg Holland 2-0 Northern Bettia
Cafundeu 1-1 Whirl Islands

Last night we were dead and buried, but with these results our hopes are resurrected. Defeat Cafundeu, and the playoffs are again within reach. We cannot, it is true, overtake Northern Bettia unless they stumble again, so we must continue to place our trust in God's plan, regardless of whether that plan entails our qualification or non-qualification, but we must trust that His judgements are just, even if they are sometimes hard to understand.

Such is the miraculous resurrection of our chances that I am put in mind of John 11 - Jesus' resurrection of Lazarus from the dead. Martha and Mary doubted in the power of faith, but as Christ said, "Did I not tell you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God". And though my squad may not literally now come forth from the tomb with strips of linen around their feet, hopefully in the next match they shall cast off their metaphorical grave clothes and go forth.

I would be tempted to make an additional metaphor about the Resurrection, but I am vaguely worried that this might come across as blasphemous, and am also unwilling to do so unless the team do actually qualify for the World Cup despite their recent poor run of form. Manage that, and maybe then we can raise the metaphor stakes.

Jedi8246
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi8246 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:59 pm

Theme
Fenris Sports Corner
"Good evening. I'm Logan Dale, Fenris Sports. A bye day in the World Cup for Jedi8246, we look at the other matchs and how they affected standings. Technically, Jedi8246 has fallen lower in the rankings, due to several games. However, there is hope.Kulverint's 2-2 tie with the now out of contention Branta Island leaves the playoff spots open for grabs. ABK, Wight, and Chetkosk all pulled off wins, however they have not outdistanced Jedi8246 yet. If Jedi8246 can pull off the next essential wins and other teams lose, we might qualify yet. These are unlikely events, but Coach Hemlock will push forward to achieve these results. The next two games will probably determine just who can move forward to the playoffs. After the break, more sporting news."
Official Member of the Fall of Gods RP Council
Conservative Morality wrote:When you call Bieber feminine, you insult all women.

Agadar wrote:Next thing you know, God turns out to be some weird green space monster with tentacles and a monocle.

Khadgar wrote:Oddly enough, a lot of people who are plotting to harm other people aren't really interested in legal niceties.
Rank #87 in World Cup
Factbook
Jedi8246 is a far-right social libertarian. He is also a non-interventionist and somewhat culturally conservative. Jedi8246's scores (from 0 to 10):
Economic issues: +9.53 right
Social issues: -7.91 libertarian
Foreign policy: -7.32 non-interventionist
Cultural identification: +0.92 conservative

Aguazul
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 06, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Aguazul » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:16 pm

La Verdad

Reunion tour irrelevant?

And so, once again, Sorthern Northlanders came to Mapabore.

Estadio Paridos is half answer to a trivia question, half item kept around for old times' sake. The only stadium bar the illustrious Estadio Aramis Peralta to host home games for Aguazul in every qualifying campaign (even a friendly before World Cup 55) since we started out, presumably in honor of its rumored role in getting the national football team off the ground. When it hosted the twelfth Globe Cup final, with Castrograd SC defeating Poikimitagiin FE, the story goes, people realized we were a perfectly safe place to hold important football matches. Even if the commies win now and then.

The, er, credentials of the Globe Cup finals selection committee have oft been disputed, and certainly there's not too wide a gap between their inspired choice and Jordan Nathanson's goal that beat Aguazul in our first match. And surely any other stadium in Aguazul could have hosted a hitchless final, it's just that Alianza Ciruelas was our only other Globe Cup team that cycle and their city is kind of soggy on occasion. The point is, by now it seems mostly irrelevant, and Stephen Nightingale, Grace Tyler, and Harriet Francine Ji Zavia Georgia Fahmida Adamina Billie Mattie Jess Gilberta Luisa Waddington have not succeeded in raising their new teammates' standards to their old levels.

Despite this, it was not as much of a blowout as some of the other results have been, and the second half was a lifeless affair from both sides. Prior to that, Aguazul had built up a lead of two goals, with Ansuro Sarmiento and home winger Noé Morayta getting on the charts. After that, however, the home fans were...not exactly subdued, not exactly even respectful of the reasons that Ancharmunn (or Tyneala, but who really cares) is merely an adopted homeland for some of the visitors. Perhaps they didn't know or care.

"I was going to let them know about it, yeah," said the megaphone guy, "but I gave up halfway through number eleven's name because Morayta was going to score. In retrospect I should've clued them in a bit because nothing exciting happened for the rest of the game."

Other fans, however, didn't seem to mind. "We were just too busy leading chants," said Isabel Pando. "We didn't really care which stadium of ours we were in. We'd already played them in Paradise...and they lost."

"Hate that when that happens," the megaphone guy shrugged.
La República del Aguazul

Astograth: Epée
Astograth: No idea where the tilde goes there
Val|WI: accent
Astograth: Tilde.
Val|WI: Tilde is this one: ~
Astograth: That's squiggly line

Yesopalitha
Minister

Founded: Sep 01, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Why Do We Play?

Postby Yesopalitha » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:34 pm

Why Do We Still Play?

Written by Fire, the Elemental Demon Forward of Yesopalitha

In every game ever played, there are winners and losers. No game ever results with both teams going home happy - that is not the nature of sports. There are victors triumphant and losers wondering what they could've done to avoid their fate. 'Tis the cycle that we all go through - winning and losing. No team ever wins every game; no team ever loses every game either. Every dog has his day, and the balance of the world always keeps in motion.

I have had many fans tell me that the team that I am in, the WC 58 Qualifying team, sucks, and that we should give up. At first glance, they have some merit. We are out of contention to make the playoffs. We are very sporadic, playing magnificently (in upsetting Mangolana and Bostopia) as well as poorly (three draws and one loss to Baleyaroh and West Angola, whom we should've beaten twice each). We are inconsistent bunch of fools who get made fun of out there, with people calling for the disbanding of this squad, the overthrow of the current coaching regime, and the return to the days when humans were the only race in Yesopalitha allowed to play sports.

Well, I have thought about it for a long time, and this is why we still play.

We still play for the fans that cheer us on. There have been fans who say that it brings tears to their eyes to see us chase every loose ball as if our lives depended on it. I had an old woman tell me that the fact that our team is made up of Unbidden and Bidden alike bring her hope that one day, in our nation of Yesopalitha, racial tensions will be gone forever. We play for the little children who chant Hilary and Jane's name every time that they step onto the field, who want to pet Ith-shanzu in her falcon form, who roar with laughter every time I form a fireball between my fingers. We play for the homeless in the streets who gather around public announcement systems to listen to the game, their troubles a thing of the past for the three hours that they spend listening to us play against different nations.

We play for brotherhood. We play for each other, for we know that each one will try their best to do their part. We play to support each other, to be there for each other if one makes a mistake. Vampire or Werewolf, Demon or Elf, Changeling or Beastling, Dwarf, Human, Treefolk, Orc, Goblin... We play because we represent the ideal future, we represent each and every one in our nation, and we aim to represent them with pride and honor.

We play for the pride, for what it means to be Yesopalithan. We play at 100% through the whole game, no matter the score, no matter if we're up 2-0 or down 6-0, from the beginning whistle to the final second, not for us, not for the glory of our team, but for the people that we represent, the spirit that we embody - for the fulfillment of our national motto, Perseverentia Saeculorum, perseverance without end.

We play for the little kids in the hospitals bedridden with cancer, to bring a smile to their face when they see Hilary celebrating after a goal. We play for the kids' parents, faced with an agonizing choice of either letting their child die or turning the child into a Vampire, which would mean that the child would outlive the parent.

Why do we play? We play because we are part of something bigger than ourselves, something bigger than even Yesopalitha itself - we play for international cooperation, for a bright day and an even brighter future. For as long as we go out there and play another game, we have a chance to win; as long as we have a chance to win, we have an opportunity to make people whose lives are hard smile; and as long as there is a chance for us, the Yesopalithan Flames National Soccer Team, to make the unfortunate, the needy, the poor, the sick, the hopeless, smile - we shall play. We shall march on. No matter who belittles us, no matter how much people tell us to give up. For it is ultimately not for us; it's for the common man, for every single soul that calls Yesopalitha home.

That's why we play.

Now I have a question for those who tell us to give up:

Why do you do what you do? Why do you live the way you live?
Motto: Perseverantia saeculorum Note: I prefer to be known as YSP over YES if you use abbreviations.
Proud Original Member of Mystria

Puppet Nation of Chromatika

West Angola
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby West Angola » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:36 pm

Isaac Warren and Luke Parrish skulked through the dark alleys of Namibe. they were about a block from the palace when Parrish grabbed Warren by the arm. "I am not taking one more step until I know what you're doing even living for crying out loud!"
"What do you mean?"
"Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but you're dead. Isaac Warren stopped three bullets from Thomas Nasser two weeks ago in an airplane cabin."
"That wasn't me, that was the original Isaac Warren."
"The origina-! You're a...a...a..."
"A clone? Yes, but not by choice."
"But August's father outlawed cloning!"
"Naw, that was just a stunt. He didn't want just anyone cloning anybody, he kept the projects under tight control."
"Well than how did you...?"
"He made me to be his personal soldier, but it didn't work. I'm infinitely thankful I saw through him, otherwise I'd have killed all of Isaac's- my friends. Sorry, I still have trouble with names."
"It's alright, but what about Nasser?"
"Same as me, 'cept he was all for August. Now come on, we don't have much time!"
"Alright, let's go!"

August was walking towards his plane, his trip to the World Cup having fulfilled its purpose. He began to board, but stopped when a small clank issued from then rear of the fuselage. August silently motioned for one of his guards to go check it out, and the man headed for the tailfin. August climbed aboard and found his seat, and a few minutes later his guard returned and reported nothing amiss, just one of the mechanics had dropped a wrench on the fin. August nodded, then dozed off as the plane taxied down the runway and took off.

To be continued...
Economic Left/Right: -4.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.95
Fourth Place: Cup of Harmony 59; Runner-Up: Cup of Harmony 55; Champion: Cup of Harmony 57

Kagdazka and Pazhujebu
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kagdazka and Pazhujebu » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:43 pm

Mahathu's Number One English Language Daily

Extremely Rude Supporters In New Montreal Dent Urchins' Campaign

Qichechumadia Zhabi – In what was without a doubt the most hostile environment the Kagdazka and Pazhujebu national football team has yet encountered in the World Cup 58 cycle, the Urchins were held to a paltry point by a confident NMS Paladins outfit. Despite Ouamchi Pudibhišu, Peregrina Thašighi, and Ignatiy Voropaev all having strong first halves personally, the Paladins nicked a goal against the run of play fifteen minutes from the final whistle and the equalizer ensured a single point apiece for the two sides.

Brutušam Erassi's retooled, Therakham-heavy attack looked acceptable in fits and starts throughout the first forty-five minutes, and the defense committed very few gaffes (aside from a few center backs getting themselves into yellow card trouble), but in the end a draw was the only fair result. Far too often, the Urchins would slice through the Paladins' midfield only to hit anthropomorphic walls named Taylor and de la Ware.

But far more than New Montreal States' players, Kagdazka and Pazhujebu were highly off-put by the crowd at the Paladin Dome. The home support was unrelenting in its hostility; Eduard Winogradsky especially was forced to endure a real verbal beating, in no small part because he'd been Antoine Long's tormentor several months ago in the first leg of this fixture.

The result sends the Urchins back to the Federation desperately in need of three points in their next match. The only problem: the Babbage Islands are the forthcoming opposition, and even a point is likely going to be a tough ask.

So what can Erassi do to boost his team's chances against the world's number four team? We at the Herald have done a full statistical study of the Urchins' matches and tabulated some player statistics.

PLAYER          APP     GOALS   YC      RC      +/-
ICHUVIHAJA 8 1 +8
BHARA 15 3 +13
WINOGRADSKY 15 2 +14
OUJADDA 15 6 2 +14
QATHIF'AJUJU 9 3 1 +8
MIZIROV 14 4 +12
RAZAVA 14 1 6 +12
OGORODOV 14 3 +12
FILIPOV 15 6 1 +10
SAJID 9 6 2 +13
THAŠIGHI 14 3 1 1 +15
ANDROPOV 5
KLOSSOVSKAYA 10 1 +6
MAKURERU 10 2 +5
AGHIMAQAJ 4 +1
GAŠUGHUMI 1 -1
JUJAZHEDHI 4 +2
ZBRUYEV 1
ZTNKK 5 1 +1
DURAI 4 1 +3
PUDIBHIŠU 6 2 1 +1
ŠERUTHUVU 9 1 2 +8
VOROPAEV 9 +8

For those readers not familiar with the plus-minus system, it is a way of measuring how well the entire team performs while a certain player is on the pitch. Anytime the Urchins score a goal while, say, Eduard Winogradsky is on the pitch, Winogradsky receives +1 to his total. If the Urchins concede while Winogradsky is on the pitch, Winogradsky receives -1 to his total.

Peregrina Thašighi leads the team at +15. Indeed, she has been a moral leader on the pitch and has contributed quite a few assists over the course of the campaign. Eduard Winogradsky and Fušia Oujadda trail immediately behind, which should come as a surprise to absolutely no one.

One small anomaly is that Chalia Sajid is at +13 despite having played half a dozen fewer matches than the other starters (thanks to an injury she is projected to recover from by next week's TBI matchup). Her value to the team has been dramatically more than anybody anticipated at the start of the campaign, and the Urchins will undoubtedly look better when she comes back.

Note a few other curiosities. Goalkeepers Zubeida Ichuvihaja and Ignatiy Voropaev share almost identical stats in terms of appearances and plus-minus (which is good because Ichuvihaja's reaggravated an ankle injury and won't be back until after the end of qualifying). Also, despite scoring six goals, tied with two other players for most goals scored, Lyonya Filipov's plus-minus rating is just +10, quite low compared to other starters. Perhaps this is why Erassi has benched Filipov in favor of Ouamchi Pudibhišu as of late.

Anyway, long story short, we at the Herald hope that this chart helps Erassi make some decisions during his team selection for the Babbage Islands match. He'll be missing two important players, Bhara and Razava, due to yellow card accumulation, which will only complicate things. As a result, it is expected that Natasha Klossovskaya will be utilized in a highly unusual role; the right back is projected to be employed as a midfielder while Eitan Andropov slips in behind in defense.

Image 1 - 1 Image

Venue: Paladin Dome, New Montreal, New Montreal States
Attendance: Undocumented
Referee: Johannes Rudkilde (Polar Islandstates)
Man/Woman of the Match: André Vaillancourt-Bosquet

Managers

New Montreal States: Panel of Eight Faceless Ministry of Morale Bureaucrats
Kagdazka and Pazhujebu: Brutušam Erassi

Squads

New Montreal States: É. Thibault; Taylor (Collette-Lajoie 80'), de la Ware; Brisebois (Leroux 77'), L. Thibault, McDougall, Charbonneau, Vaillancourt-Bosquet, Ouillemet; Ed, Roy (Hanson-Beauregard 62')
Kagdazka and Pazhujebu: Voropaev; Bhara (Filipov 89'), Mizirov, Makureru; Razava, Ogorodov, Winogradsky, Thašighi (Qathif'ajuju 72'); Oujadda, Pudibhišu, Šeruthuvu (Durai 62')

Goals

New Montreal States: Vaillancourt-Bosquet 75'
Kagdazka and Pazhujebu: Pudibhišu 43' (penalty)

Next Match

Opponent: The Babbage Islands
Venue: Gelendzhik Stadion, Gelendzhik, Kagdazka
K&P's Projected Starting XI: Voropaev; Andropov, Mizirov, Makureru; Klossovskaya, Ogorodov, Winogradsky, Thašighi; Oujadda, Pudibhišu, Sajid
Referee: Jonathan Oakdoore (Eastfield Lodge)
Last edited by Kagdazka and Pazhujebu on Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Federation of Kagdazka and Pazhujebu

Baptism of Fire 25 Champions (The Pazhujeb Islands), Baptism of Fire 33 Runners-Up (Kagdazka), AOCAF 33 Runners-Up (Kagdazka and Pazhujebu), Baptism of Fire 43 Co-Hosts, Baptism of Fire 45 Co-Hosts

Polar Islandstates
Senator

Founded: Jan 17, 2011
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Polar Islandstates » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:58 pm

TIMO SKYE: A CENTURY
Timo Skye celebrates at the Nasjonale Stadion, after scoring his hundredth goal for the Terns

Well, he's done it. And who could argue that he hasn't deserved it? Timo Skye, possibly the best Polarian footballer of his generation, has his the hundred mark for his country, and in doing so becomes the first player to do so. His days in the first team must surely be numbered now, given his age and the wealth of youngsters chasing him through the ranks, but his hundred goals are nearly twice as many as any other player has achieved so far for the Terns, and his legacy has been built to last.

From the very first days of his career, it was clear to many that Skye was a talent. His famously high opinion of himself was the catalyst for the start of this career, walking into the SK Franz Josef City training ground reception aged 14 and demanding to be allowed to train with the team. He was turned away, of course, but was encouraged to join the youth academy. This being before the era of the Federation League, to do so, even at a club the size of SK Franz Josef City, was a relatively easy thing to do. And so, backed by his enthusiastic father, Skye joined the youth academy, and was soon playing with the boys two years older than himself, slotting four goals in the u17s cup final in his third month at the club. He was still far too young to be playing in the regional Franz Josef State league, but from then on he got his wish, and was permitted to play with the senior team, amongst whom he found a lifelong friend in the young defender, Maarten Berg.

His father, Diedrich Skye, was a huge influence on the young Timo, and his untimely death aged just 45 came three days after Timo's debut for the SK first team. Timo scored in the next three games following that, playing with a feverish intensity that seemed to wear the young 18-year-old's emotions down to the bone. His form took a nosedive after that, and as he took time out from the team to mourn properly with family, there were fears at the club that the youngster would never return to the game. It is important to remember that Diedrich was Timo's hero, and without his father in his life, the main reason to play for Timo appeared to have been wrenched away so cruelly.

But return Timo did. And in some style.

He knocked in a hat trick on his return to the first team, and although he had returned a far more arrogant and big headed figure, his incredible talent made this easily forgotten, and his status as an SK legend was cemented as he was top scorer in the regional league three season's running, helping SK to four successive league victories before the formation of the Federation League. In the Federation League, Timo thrived. Far from shrinking from the bigger stage, he took to it like a duck to water. Timo craved attention, he stills does, and there was nothing better to him than scoring goals up and down the length of the country, forging new admirers and enemies in equal measure.

It was around this time that the national team, the famous Terns, were being formed by Sol Kirkkegaard and the now retired Morten Yarbin, and Skye was a natural choice for the number 9 jersey. In the squad from the very first moments, Skye quickly revelled in the international scene, and once the Burchadinger Cup started, he scored a hat trick in the Terns' first ever international competitive fixture, a 3-1 win over Zitru. He took the match ball home, as is tradition, and it has become one of his most treasured possessions. Clearly, Skye takes his job as talisman for the Terns seriously, and his uncompromising way of interacting with opposition players has endeared him to the hearts of the Twitchers, who love to see him frustrate defences all around the multiverse. A cheeky nudge here, and shoulder barge there, a strong tackle over here, and then a hop and skip away on his heels to get on the end of a low cross to rifle in first time. That's Skye.

His emergence and explosion on the international scene could not go unnoticed for long, however, and he was soon tempted away from his childhood club by the bright lights of the Erathi league, which at the time was stronger than the Federation League. Two seasons breaking hearts and upsetting referees in Erathore for Juvillian Martinax followed, before a jump way up the leagues when a move to Metropolis Alligators beckoned. The famous club in Valladares opened their arms to Skye, and he repayed them by getting on everyone's nerves. Not that this should have been a surprise, he scores the goals but makes no promises about his temperament.

So whilst his returns for Alligators were never huge, and his medal cabinet might be unusually empty for a player so talented, his national career continued apace, and his goals and consistency were a huge part of the Terns reaching the third place playoff in consecutive World Cups. Following the termination of his contract in Valladares, there were rumours of Vanorian clubs sniffing around the striker, but ultimately it was his age that put them off, and it was a Timo Skye that had lost a little of his pace that joined Royal Rumiatzi in Astograth not long afterwards.

His national career has now hit the heights however, and with his hundredth goal, whatever lies in store for Timo Skye in the future, his goal against The Weegies has ensured his legendary status with the the Twitchers forever more. The fact he had chances to score in the previous game against Bruyn, but deliberately didn't take them in favour of waiting to score his 100th at home, in the Nasjonale, surrounded by his adoring fans, goes some way to showing you the type of player Timo is. Yes, the fans might have enjoyed seeing him score, saving it for them, and given him their applause in return... but you can bet Timo Skye enjoyed it more.

He looks after number one, and in football, that generally means his team does okay out of the situation as well. But even so, whilst that is of little consequence for Skye, the fans will love him so.

Timo Skye, we tip our hats.
The True Valhallan Federation of Polar Islandstates - Pop. 51,500,000
Capital: Franz Josef City - Demonym: Valhallan (Polarian) - Trigramme: PIS
sportnyheter.vu - Ides of March Cup
Champions: WC67, CR XIX, CR XVIII, CR XV, CR X, CR VIII, DBC56, DBC20, RLWC11, RLWC10 Runners-Up: WC66, WC65, CR VI, DBC29, DBC55, WCoH18
Third: WC70, WC68, WC57, CR XII, DBC27 Fourth: WC56, CR XXII, RLWC13, RLWC9, WCoH17
“Aut Pax Aut Bellum” - A formerly closed nation that definitely isn't fascist now. The strongest and one true constituent member of The Valhallan Union
He/Him/His

Queer Poco el Mono Ara
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Queer Poco el Mono Ara » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:02 pm

This RP Cut Off is brought to you by me, changing the channel and refusing to watch Ocean's 11 on Comedy Central.

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=8396046#p8396046
Last edited by Queer Poco el Mono Ara on Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hosts of one World Cup
A Mike Sarzo Memorial Trophy and the 16th Di Bradini Championship to name but all of our accomplishments

http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Una_Serie_de_F%C3%BAtbol The Pocoan League

Equestrian States
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Equestrian States » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:02 pm

ESPN: Equestrian Sporting Ponies Network
Equestrian States Falters and Falls Again
Tags: World Cup 58, The Araucania, Pasarga, Westmeadow Tavern

CANTERLOT - The Equestrian States has now been eliminated from the World Cup and the team seems to be in a free fall. Having only been able to salvage draws from matches against Westmeadow Tavern and The Araucania, two teams the Equestrians should have beaten, they are now facing a harsh finish of the tournament. The only games remaining are against nations that are ranked far above the lowly Equestrians. Thus, it's hard to see much improvement for the team until their next international tournament.

If the Equestrian States are ever to win a World Cup, it will most likely take decades of gradual improvement.

Edit: OOC: Dang, missed the cutoff by seconds.
Last edited by Equestrian States on Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
83rd World Cup Champions
58th & 59th AOCAF Cup Champions
5x World Cup, 2x Cup of Harmony, 1x Baptism of Fire, 2x World Cup of Hockey, 3x World Baseball Classic, 1x World Bowl, 2x International Basketball Championship Host

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:09 pm

Eagles Drop Tough One, Lead Down to 1 Point

Doreen Dobbs didn't even play a full half. Her high ankle sprain saw her limping up and down the pitch so awkardly, that Karim Zaki had no choice put to pull her after just 15 minutes of play. Unfortunately, those 15 minutes came back to haunt Qazox, as Virabia took advantage, attacking the Eagles on Dobb's side and scoring their first goal in the 15th minute, as Dobbs was trying to cover their main striker on a corner kick to no avail. The hosts would bump the lead up to 2-0 just before half on a brilliant set of passing that saw Mark Allenby and Anna Paul almost collide during the play. But Qazox would not go down without a fight. Greg Shaw scored in the 80th minute to cut the lead to 2-1, but that was as close as the Eagles would get.

Playoff scenarios with 2 games left:

Qazox- Needs a win or draw in their final two games to clinch a playoff berth. A win and a Virabia loss OR two draws and a Virabia loss and draw OR two Virabia losses and a Chenkorya draw on MD17 v. Switzida clinches a World Cup Berth.

Virabia- Needs a win or draw and a Chenkorya loss or draw to clinch playoff spot. Cliches World Cup berth with any of the following: A win and two Qazox losses or draws OR two draws and two Qazox losses OR a Win and a draw and a Qazox loss OR a Draw and two Qazox losses.

Chenkorya- Needs two wins and a Virabia loss to Kalumba on MD17 to clinch a playoff berth. Needs two wins, a Virabia loss to Kalumba on MD 17 and two Qazox losses to clinch a World Cup Berth.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Ketharnia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ketharnia » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:17 pm

Ketharnia Victorious Against Group Opponent Bears Armed

[The following transcript is from this morning's radio broadcast of Concord Dawn.]

Although technically eliminated from contention for the World Cup, the Explorers showed the world that they never give up. Interest in the Ketharnian Association Football program has dropped in recent times, but last night, the Explorers faced off against group opponent Bears Armed in a match that greatly raised the nation's spirits.

Bears Armed is a nation with a great tradition in the World Cup. One may have expected the Explorers to be frightened when playing against bears, especially at their own stadium. No doubt wary at first, the team did their country proud, never giving up. And in an underdog fashion fitting of the Explorers, they pulled off a fantastic 4-2 victory.

Network analysis shows that viewership of the game started off small, even avid fans expecting the game to be a large blowout. Gradually as the game continued, Ketharnian viewership increased. By halfway through, its viewers outnumbered the viewership count of Panda Bill and Monday on Mars - the two most popular entertainment shows on Ketharnian networks - combined. By the end, all the big screens on the streets of Concord were on KNBS Sports, watching what was one of the most thrilling matches our populace has seen in quite some time. Even Prime Kavani called in to congratulate the national team on their victory.

Although our team will not be moving on, we on Concord Dawn extend our congratulations and hope to see more from the team at the next World Cup, and we have no doubt that this game has renewed much of the passion for our national team that we have seen in the past. Congratulations and well wishes also go out to Bears Armed as they advance to the World Cup Proper.
ECONOMIC: Left/Right: -7.98
SOCIAL: Libertarian /Authoritarian: -6.21

Click here to listen to the Ketharnian National Anthem, Out Beyond the Horizon.
Quarterfinals, 42nd Baptism of Fire (third seed)

Gyatso-kai
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 03, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Gyatso-kai » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:23 pm

The History of Avatarian Football
.::A Continuing Series::.

Printed in Volume CLXI, Issue 39, 2012.1.02.08

A Dark Time For All / The Great War, Did So Enthrall / All Life, A Blade’s Edge"

Part Three
From Humble Beginnings, To Great Prosperity, Then War

With the death of Avatar Kyoshi on 7 February 1880, the EKMCU suffered a great tragedy. The moving force behind not only the founding of the EKMCU but the introduction of both get’shuk and meshgeroya to the Earth Kingdom, Avatar Kyoshi’s death greatly affected the sport as a whole, as well as the people of an entire region. Living 230 years, Kyoshi was mourned by thousands of Avatarian people throughout the region and the standard six-month mourning period after the passing of an Avatar was extended to over a year to better reflect her significance. Throughout the Period of Mourning, the teams of the EKMCU only played twelve games between the nine teams; four between each division opponent and two against out-of-division opponents. During this time, there was little growth within the EKMCU.

Also, in 1881, the “War of Fire” as it was known had come to a dramatic closure, with the Imperial Fire Nation conquering the whole of the large island their Nation was located on within a thirty-one year period. Not satisified with thirty-one years of bloodshed, the Imperial Fire Nation had sent a Great War Fleet to the distant shores of the western Earth Kingdom of Xifang and brought the War of Fire to the mainland; what started out as mere border disputes would erupt in the Great War; lasting one-hundred years and spanning two Avatars, the Great War would not only effect the cultures of the Avatar Incarnate region, but the sports played in that region as well.

With Xifang being hundreds of miles away from the hustle and bustle of the eastern Earth Kingdoms, the EKMCU continued to prosper in the face of the beginnings of the War. While the War of Fire spread onto the mainland, at the same time the Mandalorians began their own war with the Imperial Fire Nation, seeking to reclaim land taken from them in the 1830’s; known as the Imperial-Mandalorian Border Dispute, it would last from 1878 until 1882, which would see the Mandalorians pushed from the Fire Nation Island chains and seeking a new home in the sparsely populated Xifang Gaoshi Peninsula (current-day Gaht’yc Region). This would lead to the establishment of Mandalorian homesteads in the Gaoshi Peninsula, which would in turn lead to the tenth team to join the EKMCU in 1883; the MC Gaoshi, who would come to play a more ‘natural game’ closer to get’shuk in that the use of rough physical tackles take a precedent over the skillful passes of the ‘Original Nine’. MC Gaoshi would go on to dominate the league, facing opposition only when they would play against Kotyc’yaim twice a season.

The ten-team format would remain in place for the next five years, with interest in the sport of meshgeroya continuing to grow until the four-team expansion which occurred in 1888. In order to better link the distant team of MC Gaoshi with the eastern establishment of the Original Nine, the Board of Governors gave out the founding charters to the towns of Omashu, Hokida, Laogoai and Yishu in 1887, in the hopes that within twelve-months, each town would develop a team which could compete with the EKMCU and bring the game to further regions...

Then came Sozin’s Comet...

In the Summer of 1888, the Great Comet known as Sozin’s comet made its first appearance in over one-hundred years, granting the Imperial Fire Nation an ungodly power. This power quadrupled the natural firebending abilities of the members of the Fire Nation, enabling them to launch a massive campaign on the Earth Kingdom; in the Campaign of 1888, the Imperial Fire Nation seized almost thirty percent of the Earth Kingdom realms and began the establishment of Fire Nation Colonies throughout the lands.

Not a single game would be played by the EKMCU until 1949...
Last edited by Gyatso-kai on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Avatarian Republic of Gyatso-kai
Denomyn: Avatarian || Trigramme: GKI || Located: Arrosia
Factbook || Armed Forces Holocron
Champions: World Cup of Hockey XXIII, XLIV, XLV, XLVIII, L, AOHC XII
Runner-Up: World Junior Hockey Championship III, World Cup of Hockey XXI, XXVI,
Third Place: World Cup of Hockey XV, XVII, XVIII, XL, XLVII

Pretty Awesome Persons
Minister

Founded: May 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Pretty Awesome Persons » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:24 pm

What You've Missed

PAP currently sits at 2nd place in Group 6, but with a bye coming, everyone should be crossing their fingers for a little bit of luck.

Francisco Gonzalez has taken a more serious approach, as they'll need all the effort they can get if they want to qualify.

Surprisingly, after a slow start, Francisco Gonzalez currently has earned PAP their best record in a World Cup qualifying round, with a 10-2-3 record, with a winning coefficient of 66%, the highest since Tsilevich's WC55 Qualifying round where he earned an 11-4-4 record, which is a 58% winning coefficient. PAP has a bye next, but the away match vs The Araucania should be an easy match, so Gonzalez should expect (or hope) to finish the tournament with an 11-2-3 record, which would mean a 69% winning coefficient, not to mention the most amount of wins, second least amount of draws and least amount of wins of ALL TIME for PAP. Who knew that a 49th ranked PAP, with a team whose average age is 20 would be better than a mature squad who was ranked 29th?

Gonzalez has somehow furtively managed to bring the team to new heights, and the media has ignored it, and not to mention most of the people fail to see how good this team has performed, considering PAP's current position in a group where they are only the 3rd highest ranking team. Although they were swept by Pasarga, they did not lose against D&S, but only drew 1-1 and won 1-0. Although the team had their lows, such as the two 4-0 loses against Lonaga and Pasarga (which all went on the record books), and the New Madrid Riots, they bounced back from the Lonaga game, only losing twice vs. Pasarga both times. They beat two teams 5-0, and another 4-0, and defeated the more experienced although lower ranked Legalese 2-0 and 2-1 both times they faced. PAP has on two or three occasions been the group leader, but has remained in the top 3 for the most part.

When you think about it, PAP has been a top team, who if they don't qualify for the World Cup, will once again be a contender for the Cup of Harmony. With the experienced Gonzalez and Asst. Manager Valdez, who were both present during PAP's winning of the CoH. In a sense, one feels that PAP is hitting a golden age, although some might still argue until this team wins silverware, Tsilevich's CoH 47-winning squad will remain superior in both star power, quality and greatness. Gonzalez's and PAP's record in these qualifying round are more than enough to give legitimacy to Gonzalez as manager and almost--Fierro as captain.

Gonzalez suddenly becoming manager of PAP was marked with controversy, with pundits and fans alike pointing to the disappointing results PAP had as Gonzalez as captain of PAP for those few games, and many thinking that he would focus too much on offense, rather than the defense that PAP desperately needed, in addition some criticism that his roster picks were ineffective and not the best. Then, when Gonzalez picked Alberto Fierro to be captain, every one automatically agreed that it was an incredibly poor choice, as Calles was seen as a more effective leader than Fierro, not to mention that Fierro was still developing and considerably young. Regardless, Fierro showed some effectiveness as captain, and even decided to work along with Calles in the decision making on the pitch, which helped the team a lot, as the team was more united and organized, now that two people weren't shouting different things.

This qualifying round has taught us many things, beginning with Gonzalez's and Fierro's legitimacy as leaders, and PAP showing their legitimacy as a top team and that even if their rank dropped, they could still pump out good results, regardless of rank or age.

As we wait for the match vs The Araucania and the bye (where D&S and Pasarga both play their 15th game, which could push PAP down to third if they both win), we can just look back and appreciate how far PAP has gone since the start of these qualifiers and even WC51.

MD1: PAP vs Equestrian States (W 3-1)
MD2: PAP vs Westmeadow Tavern (W 5-0)
MD3: Dorian & Sonya vs PAP (D 1-1)
MD4: PAP vs Lonaga (L 4-0)
MD5: Altimarus vs PAP (W 1-3)
MD6: PAP vs Pasarga (L 1-2)
MD7: PAP vs Legalese (W 2-0)
MD8: BYE
MD9: PAP vs The Araucania (W 5-0)
MD10: Equestrian States vs PAP (D 1-1)
MD11: Westmeadow Tavern vs PAP (W 1-2)
MD12: PAP vs Dorian & Sonya (W 1-0)
MD13: Lonaga vs PAP (W 1-3)
MD14: PAP vs Altimarus (W 4-0)

MD15: Pasarga vs PAP (L 4-0)
MD16: Legalese vs PAP (W 1-2)
MD17: BYE
MD18: The Araucania vs PAP
DEFCON 1 2 3 4 [5] Nothing going on here...
It's currently 2056 in Pretty Awesome Persons
Denomynm: Awesomite

Cup of Harmony 47 Champions

Economic Left/Right: 1.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.15

volim partizan crno bele boje

Chetkosk
Envoy

Founded: Apr 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chetkosk » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:08 pm

Huffin' and Puffin
The somewhat bearable musings of a moderately tubby man
- it's Yuri Stempov's Football Blog

One-nil eh? Honestly, not our best performance to be sure, but it was solid in defence at least.

The game was quite dull for the most part. Chetkosk started off with several fiery attacks in a row, pushing the Vergenskian defence to breaking point and tearing apart their central midfield. This soon developed into a goal, and Torbinskiy provided his usual level of skill and finesse to bring the Puffins into the lead in the 16th minute.

From then on, nothing. Byshovetsiy seems to be playing the safe game at the moment and the Puffins pulled right back and remained on the defensive for most of the remainder of the game. Vergenskia battered at the defences, but in a tight 5-4-1 there was no getting through as Mr. Mostovoi was on fine form and commanded his defence beautifully. The real plus point of the game was Scherbak's clean sheet. It's only his third in the entire qualifying campaign and he was truly elated. I would point out the lack of any decent strikes on target from the opposition, but I'm not that heartless.

Looking forward then, Wight and ABK both managed victories, while Branta Island managed another draw against a team far greater than them, the group leaders Kulverint. With ABK on a bye day tomorrow, it's our chance to nip ahead of them and get so very close to the play-off spot. Never have I been so enthusiastic about earning the right to play one more game to determine qualification rights, seriously.

To finish off for tonight, a quick run through of the criteria required for us to get into that lovely looking second place spot. We need to win all three of our remaining games against Soviet Canuckistan, Puerto Candelaria and Kulverint. That's an incredibly tall order in of itself. But what's more, we also need Wight to lose at least one of their remaining three games, or draw two of them. Also, to ensure we get higher than ABK, we'd love for them to draw a game too. Kulverint are essentially untouchable, I think. Though possible for them to not qualify (I think), it's so unlikely I'm not going to entertain it as a possibility.

That's all for now, TTFN.

-------------- Deity Spotlight --------------

[img]http:/[/img]

The first of the Second Echelon to be created on the Day of Becoming, Orgelmir commands the wild beasts and birds of the world. He is generally warm-hearted and friendly enough, but he cares for the animals of the world more than he does the humans. To him mankind are an animal he does not hold dominion over, and they often interfere with his actions in irritating ways.

Being the deity of animals requires that you work with the other gods and goddesses of the Pantheon regularly, as there is often overlap. Thus Orgelmir has a working relationship with Agodur when he cares for the aquatic creatures, and has a healthy relationship with his wife Mordeya, Goddess of the Hunt. Orgelmir understands the necessity of hunting in the middle earth, for mankind and for predators versus prey. He strives for balance in all things and punishes those who fail to respect his animal kin.

BYE
Jedi8246 3-1 Chetkosk
Chetkosk 1-1 Branta Island
Abcdefghijklmnopqrstuk 0-2 Chetkosk
Chetkosk 4-1 Wight
Vergenskia 2-0 Chetkosk
Chetkosk 2-0 Soviet Canuckistan
Puerto Candelaria 1-1 Chetkosk
Chetkosk 2-2 Kulverint

BREAK

BYE
Chetkosk 8-1 Jedi8246
Branta Island 1-1 Chetkosk
Chetkosk 7-2 Abcdefghijklmnopqrstuk
Wight 2-1 Chetkosk
Chetkosk 1-0 Vergenskia
Soviet Canuckistan v Chetkosk
Chetkosk v Puerto Candelaria
Kulverint v Chetkosk
Last edited by Chetkosk on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Federal Republic of Chetkosk | Capital - Berlinengrad | Population - 96,645,500 | Head of Government - Chancellor Bogdan Mikhailovich | Trigramme - CHK | Demonym - Chetkoski | ccTLD - .chk | National Wiki
Baptism of Fire 43 - Quarter finalists
WC56, 57, 58 - Qualified
WC59 - Ro16
RLWC8 - 2nd Place
R7WC1 - 4th Place

Darmen
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Darmen » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:12 pm

DarmeniSoccer.Net
To Be, or not to Be, that is the Answer!

With only three matches remaining, Darmen sits in sixth place in the Group 15 table. However this doesn't spell the end for Darmen's qualification hopes. Darmen sits only three points out of second place, and advancement to the playoff matches, where a spot in the World Cup Proper is at stake. All three of Darmen's remaining matches are winnable matchups, and only bad luck can stand in there way.

Darmen will start it's final push for qualification with a home match against Neo Japan. This is not only a winnable match, but a must win. A loss against Neo Japan would all but eliminate Darmen from the playoffs. Even a draw, while not the end of the world, is unacceptable. The result must be a win, and the offense of Darmen will be put to the test. Scoring only 17 goals in 13 matches, Darmen's normally powerful offense has been put to the test. Tor Tong Lee will need to be in top form, along with his fellow midfielders, if Darmen hopes to win convincingly.

Darmen will then travel to Burchadinger to face it's toughest test during this final three match set. Burchadinger currently is the team in second, and their fans will give Darmen a tough time. Darmen will undoubtedly will be rooting for Gyatso-kai on the final matchday, as most believe that the final race for second place will come down to Darmen and Burchadinger.

The key to defeating Burchadinger will be focus. The fans, as stated early, will definatley be most unfriendly to the team, and blocking out the insults that will most likely be chanted is key. Captain Zach Preston commented earlier today about the fans of Die Adler, "It will definatley be tough, but I think we're ready. Our Defense has been playing better following our latest match against Cosumar, and our offense it starting to take shape. We definatley looked good during pactice this morning, so hopefuly that'll carry over into the match." The game against Burchadinger is not necessarily a must win, but Darmen must at least gain one point out of the match.

Darmen will face it's final test at home, this time against Errikesh, who battled Darmen to a 1-1 draw in their last meeting. Manager Tim O'Donahaue is confident that they'll be able to defeat Errikesh. "I think we did some pretty good things in our last outing against Errikesh, but they just caught us at an inoppritune moment, and came away with the draw. This time it will be different."

Darmen's qualification hopes are in the teams hands. Basicly, win and your in, lose, and your off to the Cup of Harmony. Either this cup is Darmen's turn to qualify, or it isn't. Only Margaret, and eleven sweating, panting men on a football pitch, will be able to decide.
The Republic of Darmen
President: Sebastian Elliott (NLP) | Capital: Scott City | Population: 10.6 mil | Demonym: Darmeni | Trigramme: DAR
Factbook (WIP) | Encylopedia | Domestic Sports Newswire
Champions: CoH 51, CR 13, GCF Test 9, GCF Test 13, WBC 25, QWC 7 Runners-up: CoH 53, CR 10, GCF Test 11, T20C 2, T20C 4, RLWC 10, WBC 42
Third: CR 20, T20C 10, RLWC 20, RLWC 22, R7WC 4, WBC 21, BC 6 Host: CR 9, RWC 18, RWC 26, RWC 35, RLWC 12, RLWC 18, RLWC 22, BC 6, BC 10, WVE 4

Ossidiacqua
Envoy

Founded: Sep 25, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ossidiacqua » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:06 pm

Juan Vaccari sat in his cell, glum. With his finger he idly drew a line in the dust on the floor, marking the sun's progression across the room as it shone through the tiny window. Another zenith. That made eighteen since he'd been locked away in here. Nearly three weeks in the same cell, with nobody for company but those-

"LUNCHTIME, VACCARI!" bellowed the guard, catching Vaccari unprepared and sending him jumping.

"Oh! By the Machine God's mercy, Marco, you scared me!"

"Might you even say, ahem-"

"That I wasn't expecting the Acquan Inquisition... Yes yes, whatever." joined in Vaccari with a dulcet, unimpressed tone, sick of hearing the oft-repeated phrase echoing around the stone--hewn corridors.

"Its just what I've always been saying, Vaccari." continued the guard, Marco, clearly quite pleased with himself.

"Yes, Marco, you do realise that that is actually the fist time I haven't been expecting you since you first spring at me on the way to Re's manor?"

"Ah, then still, there have been two occasions!"

"...I guess. Yeah, sure, whatever makes you happy, Marco."

"Yerra good man, Vaccari. Now, dinner time."

"What's on the menu today, chef?" asked Vaccari, swinging his legs off the bed and sitting up in anticipation.

"Meat stew."

"Lovely! Which kind of meat?"

"Erm, well, we never quite worked that out."

"Oh..." paused Vaccari, suddenly less enthusiastic.

"Tastes alright though," continued Marco, dumping a bowl of indeterminate brown sludge through the bars of the cell, "here, salt and pepper?"

"Erm, yes. Please. Leave the bottle, actually."

"Right you are, pal. Hows it goin', anyway?"

Vaccari said nothing, but simply raised his eyebrows at his jailer.

"Well, apart from the obvious, I mean."

"What are you expecting me to say here, exactly, Marco?"

"Oh I dunno, just, how you've been, an' that." said Marco with a shrug.

"Marco, I've spent all day every day stuck in a tiny stone cell for the past three weeks nearly. I was kidnapped and thrown in here on the orders of a megalomaniac with a powerlust that's going to keep an entire nation back in the Pause Tim for as long as it suits his methods, and all because I wanted to organise some bloody good football matches between some bloody good teams in a bloody good stadium. And on top of that, I've got some great lumbering oaf of a guard with nothing to do all day, who creeps around trying to scare me suddenly and has no more loved activity than watching me eat and asking inane questions... How do you think I've been?!"

"Er... well... wow. Words hurt, man, they cut deep."

"Pardon?" asked Vaccari indignantly.

"Well, that lumbering oaf bit. Bit harsh." sniffed Marco. "And besides, its glandular."

"Yeah, well I didn't really mean it, Marco, I'm just angry at being cooped up like this against my will, you know?" blinked Vaccari as Marco sniffed. He certainly hadn't expected this kind of reaction.

"Us guards are just, misunderstood, that's all!" sobbed Marco. "I mean, I'd love to get out of here sometimes. You know, skip shift. Go outside and walk in the park, see the light shining over the hills and hitting the city full frontal, watching the steam from the condensadores rising and hanging over the city like a fine dust, and then go and see a game at Il Colosseo."

Vaccari's ears perked up at this point. "A game, you say?"

"Yeah, would you believe it I've never ever been to a game of football in my life. I'm a fan of Clube Esporte de Penthesilea, and I've never been. And I'm wanting to go and see la Renaissance, but I can't."

"Why not?"

"Because I'm stuck here, that's why!"

"Hey, Marco..." said Vaccari slowly, trying not to disturb the gears that were going around in his mind, "you know I'm the OFA chairman, right?"

"So?"

"Marco do you know what OFA even stands for?"

"Never really thought about it to be honest."

"Ossidiacqua Football Federation of course!" shouted Vaccari, noting mentally that this plan may be tougher to implement than he had at fhirst supposed.

"Oh! So, if I wanted to go to a game?"

"Oh Marco," said Vaccari, finishing off the brown sludge, "I'm sure we can come to some sort of, arrangement..."
The Former Oasirican Republic of Ossidiacqua - Pop. 87,500,000
Capital: Sant'Elia - Demonym: Acquan - Trigramme: OSD
Runner-Up: Cup of Harmony 56
"If Found, Please Return to Time and Space"
Puppet of Polar Islandstates

Erathore
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Erathore » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:31 pm

They were in. Qualification. The holy grail of international football. Or maybe it was only that way for Erathore. Either way, it was a pretty damn big deal thought Marcello Dizarino to himself. It had come in good fashion, a 4-1 win against Sativaville, with Ringëril getting a hattrick and DiSantos adding the other one. Whilst he had come under extreme criticism for making the decision to rest the starters in the match against Mangolana had paid off. That extra matchday of rest had been brilliant, Dizarino thought to himself with a smile.

The team had been brilliant all around. Great passing. Passes went into space and to feet as needed. Shooting was smart, accurate, and fast. All in all it twas damn good play from the team. Plenty of speed. Eyes up, heads turning around looking for space and passing options. Brilliant.

All they had to do was hang on to first for a few more matches. Just a few more wins. They could do it. They were made to do it. They were meant to do it.
Hosted: BoF 42, 1st Weaker Sex World Cup, 1st International Football Tournament
Champions: Copa Rushmori VII, 1st International Football Tournament, 2nd Market Cup, 4th Market Cup, 4th World Indoor Soccer Championships
Runners up: 4th Commonwealth Cup, 1st Weaker Sex World Cup
Third: 3rd World Indoor Soccer Championships, Cup of Harmony 49, 20th Di Bradini Cup
Fourth: Cup of Harmony 46, Cup of Harmony 48
Other Finals Placings: World Cup 59 (Ro16), Cup of Harmony 47 (Quarterfinals), BoF 41(Ro16), Di Bradini Cup 16 (Quarterfinals), Di Bradini Cup 17 (Ro16), AOCAF XXXI (Ro16), 2nd World Indoor Soccer Championships (Quarterfinals), 1st World Indoor Soccer Championships (Quarterfinals)
Notable Rankings: #1 (Indoor Football--Post-4th World Indoor Soccer Championships

Aguazul
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 06, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Aguazul » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:53 pm

La Verdad

Point/Counterpoint/Countercounterpoint

Who should fill Aguazul's fourth Hall of Fame spot, awarded for winning World Cup 57?

Point: Juan Esteban Oraglio
by Marco Valdez

So the other night we were talking about good players, and how you measure who good players are. Well, hopefully they've won stuff! Obviously whoever we pick should have been on the World Cup 57 team, and should probably have been a starter (although considering how many different starting lineups we try, maybe that doesn't mean too much).

Anyway, the only starter on that team who was also starting in World Cup 54, and therefore contributed to winning both times, were the wingers, Oraglio and Bruno Dorantes. They were both excellent players, but Oraglio earned the captain's armband and did...stuff, and scored almost twice as many goals as Dorantes.

We were totally wrong in the random facts thing about him scoring his debut goal in the 90th minute, it was actually his second, but that's still fine. And also he was part of clubs that did impressive stuff. So there you have it!

Counterpoint: Pelayo Sortani
by Luisa Sarsola

First of all it's not obvious that whoever it is should even be a player. Obviously. Second of all, Oraglio had a fluky career, he was playing on the left wing and only behind Emilio Guaman who...retired, or something, long story, but Oraglio was starting as early as the Vahala Invitational. While Dorantes was stuck behind the captain and didn't start for another cycle yet, obviously he wouldn't have scored as many goals. And it can't just be about who's been around the longest, that'd get fluky.

Anyway, I don't need to list Sortani's credentials, he began delivering success almost as soon as he arrived. And then delivered more success. Unlike the players he shuffled in and out, he was consistently involved in the team's championships. So yeah.

Countercounterpoint: Who knows?
by Auderico Boedo

It was just last Cup, guys. Remember, our first class didn't get officially inducted until they'd all retired from even their domestic careers. Sure, everyone had a pretty good idea at the time who it would be, but...still.

There were lots of contributors to last cycle's success. I'm sure there are cases to be made for everyone from Eusebio Nadol to Jimeno Arellano, particularly if performance in the World Cup 57 proper is the only benchmark, but we don't have enough room for a countercountercounterpoint or anything. And also most of them are still around, so we don't know what they'll do with the rest of their careers. Maybe someone will stand out or be embarrassing later on, and that'll make the choice (even if it's just among the members of that team) more obvious. There's no rush. Sure, the spot might have been earned for achievements over the span of seven matches, but we can use it to celebrate contributions over a longer term.

(Lissón 23, Lanos 49, Cortez 67 and 80)
La República del Aguazul

Astograth: Epée
Astograth: No idea where the tilde goes there
Val|WI: accent
Astograth: Tilde.
Val|WI: Tilde is this one: ~
Astograth: That's squiggly line

Andossa Se Mitrin Vega
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Andossa Se Mitrin Vega » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:16 pm

I see you there in the corner hoping that your RP will beat this cutoff. Good luck with that.

MD16 Scores
Last edited by Andossa Se Mitrin Vega on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Champions: AORBC II (Women's Champs); AOHC IV; Cup of Harmony 44, 49, & 54; Baptism of Iron VBrevity Challenge Cup 3
2nd Place: WC64
3rd Place: WC59; WC61WC65
WC Quarterfinals- 53,58,60
Qualified for WC Proper - 27,28,29,30,53,54,56,58,59,60,61,63,64,65
Host: Draggonnii Inviyatii; BoF 17 ; World Bowl XII; BoF43 (with K&P);World Cup 58 (with QPeMA)World Cup 61 (with Valanora)

AO is, as they say, THE PLACE.
Those of you whom we consider friends and respect here on NS are welcome to join us on FB. Simply TG me and We will set it in motion.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports