NATION

PASSWORD

World Cup LVII Bid: Cafundéu and Sarzonia

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]
Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

World Cup LVII Bid: Cafundéu and Sarzonia

Postby Sarzonia » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:01 am

World Cup LVII - Cafundéu and Sarzonia

Introduction
Cafundéu. Sarzonia.

Two nations linked together by one legendary figure.

Franz Braddock was the first-ever national team manager for Cafundéu's national team during World Cup 32. He guided the team to World Cup berths in each of its first two World Cup qualifying cycles before returning to manage his club team Petardos S/A.

He later returned to manage the Cafundelenses to three consecutive World Cup berths before retiring, citing burnout. Later, however, he cast about searching for a national team managerial gig, consistently getting turned down by other nations because of his age.

That was until Sarzonia were searching for a national team manager. The Stars had promoted their legendary player Brian Wilson from his position as manager to serve as chairman of the Incorporated Football Federation, Sarzonia's governing body for football. At the behest of his father, two-time Sarzonian national team manager Dave Wilson, Brian hired Braddock, bucking the trend.

Now, Braddock sees the links between his native land and his adopted country strengthened once more as Cafundéu and Sarzonia present a bid to host World Cup LVII.

Format
Format will largely depend on the number of sign ups by the time Cafundéu or I close sign ups, but if there is a similar number of sign ups to the current World Cup, we would foresee a very soft cap of 122 nations leading to a hard cap of 202 nations. In the former, the format would consist of 15 groups of eight nations, making a total of 14 matchdays for qualifying with the top two teams automatically advancing to the proper. In the latter, the format would be 20 groups of 10 teams each, totaling 18 matchdays. Group winners would automatically advance and runners up would play a one-off playoff match against other runners up for the right to qualify.

In the event a nation who otherwise would qualify for the proper ceases to exist and is not restored by 24 hours after scorination for the final group stage match, the team directly below them in the table would qualify in its stead.

Scorination
The tried and true NSFS 3.0.1 will be used to scorinate matches. Style modifiers ranging from -5 (ultra defensive/karelan) to +5 (ultra attacking/takilan) will be allowed and must be specified in the roster post prior to pre-qualifying friendlies. If they are NOT included, we will assume a style modifier of zero (balanced). Style modifiers may NOT be changed at any point during the competition. If Matchday 1 has already taken place and you have not yet posted your roster, you will be required to RP with a style modifier of zero.

Roleplay Bonus
Without revealing the specific details of exactly how we plan to award bonus, both prospective hosts have decided upon a method that we believe will encourage nations of all levels to participate actively during qualifying and the proper. Nations who post a roster will receive a baseline RP bonus that will be maintained throughout the competition. The RP bonus would be updated for each matchday, with all RPs posted between one cutoff and another being considered as one for bonus purposes. It'll have a max daily value added to the KPB bonus which would consider the originality and quality of the RP. The bonus for each matchday will get smaller over time, in order to reward frequency: a player who RPs consistently will be able to stay with the highest bonus available, while another who stops RPing will see its bonus reduced over time.

Experience
The player behind Cafundéu has had extensive experience hosting WCC-sanctioned tournaments.

The first competition hosted by Cafundéu was Women's World Cup 8, but the country quickly became a natural destination for important competitions. Just two cycles after participating in their first World Cup campaign, which was a success with the qualification at the first attempt in World Cup 32, Cafundéu hosted the Baptism of Fire, and two cycles after that their first World Cup in home soil, together with Commerce Heights. After another two BoFs, two CoHs, other three World Cups besides WC36 and one Winter Olympics, the second toughest event to host in the world of international sports, Cafundéu proved that it is an outstanding host country for international competitions.

So far, the list of competitions hosted by Cafundéu includes: Women's World Cup 8, Baptism of Fire 21 (prior to World Cup 34), Baptism of Fire 30 (prior to World Cup 43), Baptism of Fire 37 (prior to World Cup 50 - with The Macabees); Cup of Harmony 31 (with Daehanjeiguk), Cup of Harmony 36 (with Dancougar); World Cup 36 (with Commerce Heights), World Cup 42 (with Septentrionia), World Cup 48 (with Bazalonia), World Cup 52 (with Nethertopia); and the 5th Winter Olympics.

The player behind Sarzonia has had fairly extensive hosting experience, the bulk of which came in his "second" tenure in NationStates. Prior to the first period of introversion, known in Sarzonia as Isolation (OOC: Prior to when I "left" NS in 2006/2007), Sarzonia had a modest resume as a host of multinational sporting events. It served as founding nation and host of the AO Bowl, an international gridball competition for nations in Atlantian Oceania. It also co-hosted two editions of the Basketball World Cup, the predecessor tournament to the International Basketball Championships. Sarzonia also co-hosted the inaugural Futsal World Championships with The Macabees and substituted as scorinator for a Cherry Cup match.

More recently, Sarzonia also hosted World Bowl XIV, which had an unprecedented 72 nations compete. It also served as junior co-host of Cup of Harmony 45 with Rejistania and as senior co-host of Cup of Harmony 47 with Saugeais. Sarzonia has also hosted the seventh Handball World Championships, marking the first time in several attempts that a handball tournament actually concluded with a gold medal match. Sarzonia also hosted four editions of the World Lacrosse Championships and three editions of the NS Arena Bowl and its predecessor tournament the Sarzonian Indoor Gridball Cup. It also hosted the inaugural World Softball Classic, is currently hosting the second edition of that competition, and hosted an edition of the Baptism of Iron. It bid unsuccessfully for Baptism of Fire XL and World Cup LVI.

The player behind Sarzonia has used multiple scorinators during his tenure as a host. He used Excel-based scorinators for each edition of the World Lacrosse Championships and the NS Arena Bowl and different Excel-based scorinators for his edition of the AO Bowl and the Baptism of Iron. He also used Leagion during Cup of Harmony XLV and NSFS 3.0.1 for the World Softball Classic and World Bowl XIV. Sarzonia has further demonstrated its commitment to the NS Sports community by serving on the World Baseball Classic Council and the World Bowl committee.

Scorination for Sarzonia will take place between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m. Eastern time. Cafundéu initially plans to scorinate at around 1 a.m. GMT.
Last edited by Sarzonia on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

The Kiaser Colonies
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kiaser Colonies » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:04 am

er? isn't it a bit early for bids for world cup 57?
Winner of Rugby World Cup 18 and R7WC 2.
Host of Rugby League World Cup XVII

Hosted: Domestic leagues, Rugby League World Cup XVII

Advanced passed groups/qualifiers: Rugby World Cup 17 (Quarter-finals), Copa Rushmori VI, Rugby World Cup 18, R7WC 2, Beach Cup 13, 9th GCF World Twenty20, Rugby League World Cup XVII (Quarter-finals)

3rd Copa Rushmori VI, Beach Cup 13
2nd None
1st Rugby World Cup 18, Rugby 7's World Cup 2, gold medal men's doubles badminton at one iteration of the Olympics.

Australian and proud!

Alasdair I Frosticus
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Alasdair I Frosticus » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:06 am

The Kiaser Colonies wrote:er? isn't it a bit early for bids for world cup 57?

Not really. If they think they have a bid ready while we're well into WC56 qualification, why shouldn't they post it?
Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?

Andossa Se Mitrin Vega
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Andossa Se Mitrin Vega » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:14 am

K&P and I posted our BoF bid at least this early. It allows one to dictate the bids as any other bid that does not vary in specifics from this one will be grilled for putting forward the same plans.

I have no major concerns with the details of this bid or the respective proposed hosts. Good luck to you guys.
Last edited by Andossa Se Mitrin Vega on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Champions: AORBC II (Women's Champs); AOHC IV; Cup of Harmony 44, 49, & 54; Baptism of Iron VBrevity Challenge Cup 3
2nd Place: WC64
3rd Place: WC59; WC61WC65
WC Quarterfinals- 53,58,60
Qualified for WC Proper - 27,28,29,30,53,54,56,58,59,60,61,63,64,65
Host: Draggonnii Inviyatii; BoF 17 ; World Bowl XII; BoF43 (with K&P);World Cup 58 (with QPeMA)World Cup 61 (with Valanora)

AO is, as they say, THE PLACE.
Those of you whom we consider friends and respect here on NS are welcome to join us on FB. Simply TG me and We will set it in motion.

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:18 am

Alasdair I Frosticus wrote:

Not really. If they think they have a bid ready while we're well into WC56 qualification, why shouldn't they post it?

To follow up on Arch's comment, I felt Caf and I were at a disadvantage by posting our bid well after Valanora's and Sorth's. To take off on ASMV's comment, we had to answer why our bid was significantly different from theirs when the formats were close to the same.

By posting our bid now, it forces whomever chooses to bid next to either have a different plan or explain why their bid should get the WCC's vote if it's similar to ours.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:26 am

Somebody from BAAS (i.e. the 'Bears Armed Association for Soccer') asks the representative of Cafundeu here our usual IC question about taxation for teams & travelling supporters in the WC proper...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

The Babbage Islands
Senator

Founded: Mar 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Babbage Islands » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:07 pm

Another advantage to getting a bid out early is that if an issue does come up, the bidders have time to work through it. Cassadaigua and I had this occur in WC 54, first with the 48-team proposal getting shot down and then with the switch to two tiers. Valanora and Sorthern Northland had this in WC 56 with the originally-proposed 122 cap.

As for this bid, Cafundeu is a top-of-the-line senior partner and Sarzonia is more than due for consideration. Looks good, guys.
NS World Cup: Runner-up 55/59; Third place 50/52/58/62/63; Host 49/54/60.
Founding member, Global Cricket Federation; 2x Twenty20 world champions.
FactbookRedballer scorinator for test cricket
Community football scorinator and CFC v2.1 (rules)

Starblaydia
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 05, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Starblaydia » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:15 pm

Serious question: Why are style modifiers not able to be changed (or selected) beyond MD1?

Only-mildy-anywhere-near-serious question: Are you two going to keep copy and pasting your same bid each WC tournament until you win the rights to host?
Six-Time World Cup Committee President (WCs 25-33, 46-51 & 82*)
Co-host of World Cups 20, 40 & 80 • Di Bradini Cup Organiser
World Cups 30, 63 & 83 Runner-Up • World Cup 27 Third Place • 25th Baptism of Fire Runner-Up
Seven-Time AOCAF Cup Champions • Two-time U21, One-Time U18 WC Champions • Men's Football Olympic Champions, Ashford Games
Five-Time Cherry Cup Champions • 1st Quidditch World Cup Champions • WGPC8 Drivers' Champion
The Protectorate of Starblaydia
Commended by WA Security Council Resolution #40
Five-Time NS World Cup Champions (WCs 25, 28, 41, 44 & 47)

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:44 pm

Serious answer: Because NSFS does not allow hosts to edit style modifiers (based on feedback from Valanora on a previous bid I was part of), and we can't wait forever for someone to post a roster if they choose to change their style modifiers based on a new coach or other RP'd reasons.

Not-so-serious answer to only peripherally serious question: We're lazy. Get used to it. :P

Serious response to not-so-serious question: Based on the vote count of the previous World Cup hosting votes, we believe that the decision to award World Cup LVI to Valanora and Sorthern Northland was less about the merits of our individual bids and more about the timing in which we entered the fray with a bid that struck many voters as being fundamentally similar to the winning bid.

If discussion and voting have determined that there are serious objections with respect to the structure of our bid and those lead to our bid not being the one chosen, both Cafundéu and Sarzonia would discuss the particulars and proceed from there with a bid that appropriately addresses all concerns.

Cafundeu
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Cafundeu » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:07 pm

Well Star, the copy-pasting bid issue is something that has happened with me countless times before. :p

About Cafundelense taxes, this name simply refers to the living costs once in Cafundéu, which practically every country has, although it involves much more costs than other places. Therefore, tourists and other visitors would have to pay for the same things Cafundelense citizens pay. However, in recent times companies were encouraged to help delegations and other squads paying their basic costs in exchange of more media exposure worldwide, and groups against this, claiming that it is transforming the World Cup in something even more commercial, are helping teams with similar ideas of theirs the same way to counter the companies. So, the teams may be able to find ways to avoid spending too much in Cafundéu through these groups or companies. The tourists, however, do not have the same opportunity and will have to plan well their trip to our country, saving money.
Monopolists' Sport Achievements:
World Cup Committee President (WCs 55-57)
Cup of Harmony 27 and 48 Champions; World Cup 44 runner-ups

AOCAF 33, DBC 15/17/18 Champions; BoF 19(WC32) runner-ups; Oxen Cup 1/8 Champions; WGPC9 Champions
DBC 16; OFC6; AOCAF27/30 runner-ups; Q-Cup 2 and Women's World Cup 11 Champions

Olympics: Host of V Winter Olympics and VI Summer Olympics - III Summer Olympics: best overall performance
Hosted: WWC8; BoF21 (WC34); BoF30 (WC43); BoF37 (WC50); CoH31; CoH36
HOST OF WORLD CUP 36, WORLD CUP 42, WORLD CUP 48, WORLD CUP 52 AND WORLD CUP 57

Mangolana
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mangolana » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:41 pm

Nations who post a roster will receive a baseline RP bonus that will be maintained throughout the competition

Can you further explain to me what this means.
Pronounced: Man-Go-Lan-a
Deuce is Loose
Qualified for World Cup 59, 60, 65
Hosted: World Lacrosse Championship XI, Market Cup, Market Cup II, Soccer for Hope, Beach Cup 4, WISC 2, WISC 4, Campeonato Rushmori Juvenil Sub-20 and Sub-17
Won: Beach Cup IX
Second: Market Cup, Graveyard Cup
Third: Market Cup II, WIF/SC II
Fourth: Market Cup 4
Quartefinals: IBC 8, World Lacrosse Campionship XI, World Junior Ice hockey Championship, Buchadinger Cup II, Market Cup 3

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:43 pm

Mangolana wrote:
Nations who post a roster will receive a baseline RP bonus that will be maintained throughout the competition

If you post a roster, you will get an RP bonus that does not degrade unlike the remainder of your potential RP bonus.

For instance, say you posted a roster with a list of player names and positions. For example, let's say that we give you .25 KPB points as a bonus for that roster. Even if you don't post another RP the rest of qualifying, that .25 will not go away.

I do something similar in all the other tournaments I host.
Last edited by Sarzonia on Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mangolana
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mangolana » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:05 pm

Sarzonia wrote:
Mangolana wrote:

If you post a roster, you will get an RP bonus that does not degrade unlike the remainder of your potential RP bonus.

For instance, say you posted a roster with a list of player names and positions. For example, let's say that we give you .25 KPB points as a bonus for that roster. Even if you don't post another RP the rest of qualifying, that .25 will not go away.

I do something similar in all the other tournaments I host.

Thankyou, I know its still early, but unless another great bid comes along, this one has my support
Pronounced: Man-Go-Lan-a
Deuce is Loose
Qualified for World Cup 59, 60, 65
Hosted: World Lacrosse Championship XI, Market Cup, Market Cup II, Soccer for Hope, Beach Cup 4, WISC 2, WISC 4, Campeonato Rushmori Juvenil Sub-20 and Sub-17
Won: Beach Cup IX
Second: Market Cup, Graveyard Cup
Third: Market Cup II, WIF/SC II
Fourth: Market Cup 4
Quartefinals: IBC 8, World Lacrosse Campionship XI, World Junior Ice hockey Championship, Buchadinger Cup II, Market Cup 3

Newmanistan
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2005
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Newmanistan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:07 pm

No major issues with the bid and I think the early-ness is a good thing, myself.
I want to see how this 20-group thing pans out in WC56 before I can say I would totally support this, 100%, though.
Last edited by Newmanistan on Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Six-time World Baseball Classic Champions
Now just here to run NSSCRA. Thank you to the community for all the fun in other sports.
NEWMANISTAN SPORTING ACHIEVEMENTS:
CHAMPIONSHIPS: DBC 4; 27th BoF; CoH 34, 36, & 37; Oxen Cup 12; WBC 10, 12, 15, 17, 41, & 43; IBC 4, 5, & 29; CE 26; WLC 1
Runner Up: DBC 5 & 6; Oxen Cup 6; WBC 7,9 11, 14, & 45; IBC 1; WB 4, 6 & 34; WLC 2 & 3
World Cups qualified for: 46, 48 (R of 16), 49, 50, 54
Hosted: WORLD CUP 49, WB 1, 2, 5, & 35; WBC 8, 11, 14, 19, 38, 44, & 46; CoH 33, 35, & 39; CE 25, WLC 2, 4 & 5; WCoH 10, IBC 24, NSSCRA, Multiple NSCAA Basketball Tournaments, and a horse racing series

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:44 pm

I would not have a problem with either nation hosting the World Cup of Ketchup/Catsup.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports