NATION

PASSWORD

Bureau for the Improvement of NS Businesses (Organization)

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:05 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Well, this may be the best 'helpdesk' I may get on storefronting.
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=107215

My own. Before I posted this, I spent a few days (probably a bit over a week) thinking over details and designing weapons to go in. Yes, I used pimpmygun. But I have nil skill with editing programmes, GIMP confuses me to no end and I can't afford a dec-- well, any computer software for the task.
I read Mikoyan's guide on product creation and spent a good few days lurking the forum looking at large and obviously-successful storefronts such as Yohanne's VMK AG, Scion Defence, Lyran Arms and Gemballan Avionic Development for layout, product and detail ideas. I have been to the NS Draftroom yet not for my products; but as I stated as a reply in the storefront - nothing that I've posted thus far should have required it. And an NSD regular came in and explicitly stated that NSD wasn't a "storefront seal of approval" forum anyway.

As you can see, more than half of it is one great 'under construction' tab. The prices for the small arms are realistic, I would have thought, and every last weapon stat is based off of real life weapon stats. Basically, I looked into two or three similar weapons to each of mine and basically averaged out their stats. This was especially for the artillery pieces, mortars and the heavy machine gun. Detail shouldn't be an issue - whilst the level of information I gave pales in comparison to monsters of information (VMK AG, being a good few thousand words about a single MBT, is a good case in point), but I feel is more than sufficient for the products.
The main issue I guess would be pricing. Like I said, for small arms it's relatively realistic - but when I got into everything else, I realised I had nothing to base them off of - and had to just spout random figures that seemed like suitable ballparks.

I might take a look at this if nobody minds.

It may take me a while to go through stuff but your very first entry does ring major alarm bells, or rather part of it does: The APFSDS .50cal load that you describe is flat out impossible. Taking a rough estiamte of the weight of the porjectile at 100grams and the given mach 3.2 muzzle velocity we have a muzzle energy of about 60kJ i.e. about 3 times as much energy as you cna squeeze out of .50BMG and equal with medium to high end 20mm rounds. As it happens the gievn stats pretty much match the MK149 APDS load for the 20x102mm round. penetration is not goignt o be 5m, it will maybe be about 20-30mm at 500m or so, the roudns passage will also do bugger all to anyone not actually hit by it.

A longer glance through the rest of it doesn't throw up any simillary huge howlers, a few iffy stats, and missued terms (i.e. there is no STANAG covering 7.62mm NATO magazines) and some possible format issues (i.e. mixing metric and imeprial measurements, best practice is to use both with metric followed by imperial in brackets) but nothing that really leaps out.

If you would like me to go through with a fine toothed comb i'll happily do so but if not I'm not seeing any huge issues (although it is my fate that as soon as i say that various people will come up various blindingly obvious biuts i've missed).
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:18 am

Crookfur wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Well, this may be the best 'helpdesk' I may get on storefronting.

My own. Before I posted this, I spent a few days (probably a bit over a week) thinking over details and designing weapons to go in. Yes, I used pimpmygun. But I have nil skill with editing programmes, GIMP confuses me to no end and I can't afford a dec-- well, any computer software for the task.
I read Mikoyan's guide on product creation and spent a good few days lurking the forum looking at large and obviously-successful storefronts such as Yohanne's VMK AG, Scion Defence, Lyran Arms and Gemballan Avionic Development for layout, product and detail ideas. I have been to the NS Draftroom yet not for my products; but as I stated as a reply in the storefront - nothing that I've posted thus far should have required it. And an NSD regular came in and explicitly stated that NSD wasn't a "storefront seal of approval" forum anyway.

As you can see, more than half of it is one great 'under construction' tab. The prices for the small arms are realistic, I would have thought, and every last weapon stat is based off of real life weapon stats. Basically, I looked into two or three similar weapons to each of mine and basically averaged out their stats. This was especially for the artillery pieces, mortars and the heavy machine gun. Detail shouldn't be an issue - whilst the level of information I gave pales in comparison to monsters of information (VMK AG, being a good few thousand words about a single MBT, is a good case in point), but I feel is more than sufficient for the products.
The main issue I guess would be pricing. Like I said, for small arms it's relatively realistic - but when I got into everything else, I realised I had nothing to base them off of - and had to just spout random figures that seemed like suitable ballparks.

I might take a look at this if nobody minds.

It may take me a while to go through stuff but your very first entry does ring major alarm bells, or rather part of it does: The APFSDS .50cal load that you describe is flat out impossible. Taking a rough estiamte of the weight of the porjectile at 100grams and the given mach 3.2 muzzle velocity we have a muzzle energy of about 60kJ i.e. about 3 times as much energy as you cna squeeze out of .50BMG and equal with medium to high end 20mm rounds. As it happens the gievn stats pretty much match the MK149 APDS load for the 20x102mm round. penetration is not goignt o be 5m, it will maybe be about 20-30mm at 500m or so, the roudns passage will also do bugger all to anyone not actually hit by it.

A longer glance through the rest of it doesn't throw up any simillary huge howlers, a few iffy stats, and missued terms (i.e. there is no STANAG covering 7.62mm NATO magazines) and some possible format issues (i.e. mixing metric and imeprial measurements, best practice is to use both with metric followed by imperial in brackets) but nothing that really leaps out.

If you would like me to go through with a fine toothed comb i'll happily do so but if not I'm not seeing any huge issues (although it is my fate that as soon as i say that various people will come up various blindingly obvious biuts i've missed).

I'd forgotten about that APFSDS round. Yes, that's completely made up. The concept is based off of the Halo sniper rifle.
However, the portion about the round's passing (though nothing else about the round) is based off of the Flechette rocket system used on Apache gunships. Quoting verbatim from the book 'Apache' by former pilot Ed Macy, "Each dart's intense supersonic speed [of Mach 2] created a huge vacuum behind it... and was powerful enough to tear flesh and muscle from a human target if it passed within 4 inches of one." I realise that I exaggerated the 'range' of the effect - I clearly misrecalled 4 inches as 4m, then scaled it up.
Reading deeper into the APFSDS concept, I should aim for 'small arms flechettes' as opposed to APFSDS, a term almost exclusively applied to anti-tank.

I could work out exact-accurate maximum-minimum ranges for all weapons (particularly the artillery pieces), but I'm supposed to be doing 3 or 4 other things this holiday.
Last edited by Samozaryadnyastan on Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

Kaelmark
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 09, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaelmark » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:44 am

Mikoyan-Guryevich wrote:I'll be happy to take a look, Lamoni

Please keep in mind that I just got home from the football, am slightly upset my team drew and may be still under the influence.

Right

Formatting seems to be fine. Some of the usual trends with military storefronts usually means putting new products in new threads so you don't have to plan for expansion when you first open. This does bring you the advantage of having a less cluttered storefront, but do be aware that this can also attract navigation products. Always make sure you have a link back to your main storefront even if it's only one click away, that way people don't get lost.

It's also a good idea to write a few paragraphs about your company itself, it makes it look more professional, gives it some nice history and makes it look like a proper established corporation. Some companies are passionate about their histories and write lots (VLT, Forza spring to mind) but most can make do with just a few simple sentences.

As a military storefront, designs are important so I'll step you through these.

The main problem is the pictures. That Spore thing, while cool, is letting you down because the pictures you have just don't reflect the quality of the work you produced, namely because they picture an aircraft that isn't feasible in our laws of physics. You're lineart, however, is good so I would recommend sticking to that instead. Drawing Lineart can be tedious and time consuming, but the more you practice the better you get. For my storefronts, I like to team lineart with RL pictures of components from google images to create a more brochure like feel, you could try doing this.

One glaring thing I noticed is this

The variable geometry adaptive ejection seat is inclined at an angle of 50°, which reduces the impact of high g forces on the pilot. The seat allows dogfight and missile avoidance maneuvers with significantly higher g loadings than can normally be tolerable.

Angling the seat or the ejection angle won't reduce the force acting on the pilot, it still is going to be a huge force regardless of the direction of the velocity or the orientation of the pilot relative to the aircraft. If you stand up straight, the force of gravity on you is 9.8 multiplied by your mass. Stand on your head, the force is still the same.

I am sure there are other small things like this so to you I recommend the http://z4.invisionfree.invalid.com/NSDraftroom/ ... hp?act=idx NSDraftroom if Lamoni has not already steered you there before. NSD is a great place for budding designers; bring a positive attitude, a willingness to learn and an open mind.

Other than that, most products have quite good write ups which cover most of the important stuff. Some products don't, but I don't have a reason to doubt that you will remedy those in the future. If you wanted to expand your writeups, you could start examining more areas of the product you are trying to sell. For example, materials used, engines used, airframe design different variants etc. You can look around NS at other storefronts to get a better idea of what you should mention but don't copy what they have written.

Another side thing
Wing loading: 470 kg/m²

Few people on NS know what wing loading means, even fewer know how to work it out. I had a quick look at the wing loading on the F-77 and you appear to be out by 80kg/m^2. For minor aspects of your product you don't understand, it is best to just leave them out rather than being wrong. Or, you can learn what they mean and be right which is the far more pro-active approach.

Other than that, great start. Just get rid of the spore images and use your lineart, work on those write ups and visit NSDraftroom and you will turn a good storefront into a great one.

I appreciate the critic. To be honest, I'm not very good at line art. It took me forever to do my Punisher tank and the engineering vehicle. I could try to draw up stuff for my aircraft but, geeze, I don't think it's going to turn out too well. I'll take a look at some of the statistics on my aircraft also, and correct them down to just basic hardpoints and total ordance/package weight that could be supported.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:20 am

Given that I've some new products (and I only got a cursory glance last time), I figured I ought to repost.

My issue is that I can't really source pictures for anything. I can't afford a computer programme to draw them, I can't hand-draw them, and half of them can't be re-produced in photograph, without taking a picture of something completely random and calling it my product. It wouldn't matter so much for the mortars and such, but the HIND-X-2 is a massive redesign of a HIND. I doubt an experienced photoshopper could edit a picture to make what I did.
Call me Para.
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:26 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:

Given that I've some new products (and I only got a cursory glance last time), I figured I ought to repost.

My issue is that I can't really source pictures for anything. I can't afford a computer programme to draw them, I can't hand-draw them, and half of them can't be re-produced in photograph, without taking a picture of something completely random and calling it my product. It wouldn't matter so much for the mortars and such, but the HIND-X-2 is a massive redesign of a HIND. I doubt an experienced photoshopper could edit a picture to make what I did.

If you have windows then you already have a very powerful image editor called paint installed on your PC. It is the program used to produce the majority of cusotm lineart that you see on NS. Alternatively you cna vastly more sphosticated programs such and the Gimp and inkscape for free. If you are working on mod's of RL stuff the simpliest approach is to find a nice black and white line art of your chosen subject and then use paint to draw on your new features.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Aescentia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aescentia » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:03 pm

Also, guys - I'm usually on the GlobalEconomics IRC (http://02.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23G ... .esper.net) so you can find me there and ask for immediate advice.
The Archregimancy wrote:Back to dirty, perverted, shameful sex, please.
Ardchoille wrote:Get back to the tits and boobies, you lot!
NERVUN wrote:I am NERV thy MOD. Thou shalt have no other gods before us.
Reppy wrote:Because fun is fun
Stew cranberries like apples
Tastes much more like prunes

I RP under the nation the City of Vauxhall, mid-PMT. ~~ The One Time I was Ever Reported
Handy Links: GE&T Help Desk ~~ Storefront Creation Guide ~~ NSBBB ~~ NSDossier ~~ French Motto Clinic ~~ Technical FAQ ~~ Le Fil Français

Treka
Envoy

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Treka » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:50 am

Is This Storefront Okay ?

Falkasia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby Falkasia » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:33 pm

Ok, as I figure its time I started carrying my weight with this one... let me take a look.

Ok, I'll start off with what looks good:

Company logo is nice and clean, and not overdone as is so common in the "Airline Industry."

I also really like the fact that you actually included a brief history on your airline, as well as specific IATA/etc. codes. Despite common belief, those are quite important in my opinion in terms of added realism.

The service breakdown is effectively organized, utilizing spoiler hiders and pictures to add emphasis.

The inclusion of slide shows and evacuation videos are very original. I've never seen an airline do that before... so thumbs up on this.

Now what you can improve on:

While the storefront is mostly clean and fairly well organized, you're lacking a bit in the description area. Having a history is good, but when it comes to NationStates, 5 sentences is far too short. I'd recommend here to elaborate. Those of us that are NS regulars have time to waste, so normally the more drawn out descriptions warrant our attention. There isn't much need for summarization. More is normally always better, assuming of course quality stays the same.

I'd also look in to the Onboard Gym for extended flights. While I may be mistaken, I'm not sure modern aircraft have the space to host a full-blown gym. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd recommend that you elaborate on your services as well. "Amazing Meals" cooked by "Indian Chefs" isn't exactly saying much. Why not provide some information on ingredients, or explain why these Indian Chefs are top-of-the-line. Maybe explain why you're serving Indian Food over American or Chinese Food too?

As for organization, I have a few tips. Instead of describing services first, I'd reorder the arrangement so as to have potential customers review seating prior to learning about all the services available to each. When I was reading through the first go-around, I kept wondering what these "Business Class" and "First Class" seats were. Establish the packages first, then elaborate on the unique advantages of each.

Other than that, I'd just say clean up your text a bit and avoid the erratic spacing you've got going on.

You're free to take all, or none, or anywhere in between of my advice. I hope I was able to help!
Universal Defense Consolidated Storefront
Dramatis Personae
Just for the record; I'm colorblind to Yellow
Falkasia is ranked 1st in the region and 1st in the world for Most Awesome Nations.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:29 am

Is there actually anything wrong with this, really?
It's consistently ignored, and I have no clue why. The Bukharabia guy who makes up half the posts is a guy from my region who I think just buys from me because he knows me, and the other guy is someone from an 'arms contract' thread.

I'm half-tempted to close it, putting more than 2 week's solid work into it and nothing really to show for it.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Treka
Envoy

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Treka » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:24 am

Falkasia wrote:Ok, as I figure its time I started carrying my weight with this one... let me take a look.

Ok, I'll start off with what looks good:

Company logo is nice and clean, and not overdone as is so common in the "Airline Industry."

I also really like the fact that you actually included a brief history on your airline, as well as specific IATA/etc. codes. Despite common belief, those are quite important in my opinion in terms of added realism.

The service breakdown is effectively organized, utilizing spoiler hiders and pictures to add emphasis.

The inclusion of slide shows and evacuation videos are very original. I've never seen an airline do that before... so thumbs up on this.

Now what you can improve on:

While the storefront is mostly clean and fairly well organized, you're lacking a bit in the description area. Having a history is good, but when it comes to NationStates, 5 sentences is far too short. I'd recommend here to elaborate. Those of us that are NS regulars have time to waste, so normally the more drawn out descriptions warrant our attention. There isn't much need for summarization. More is normally always better, assuming of course quality stays the same.

I'd also look in to the Onboard Gym for extended flights. While I may be mistaken, I'm not sure modern aircraft have the space to host a full-blown gym. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd recommend that you elaborate on your services as well. "Amazing Meals" cooked by "Indian Chefs" isn't exactly saying much. Why not provide some information on ingredients, or explain why these Indian Chefs are top-of-the-line. Maybe explain why you're serving Indian Food over American or Chinese Food too?

As for organization, I have a few tips. Instead of describing services first, I'd reorder the arrangement so as to have potential customers review seating prior to learning about all the services available to each. When I was reading through the first go-around, I kept wondering what these "Business Class" and "First Class" seats were. Establish the packages first, then elaborate on the unique advantages of each.

Other than that, I'd just say clean up your text a bit and avoid the erratic spacing you've got going on.

You're free to take all, or none, or anywhere in between of my advice. I hope I was able to help!

Thank you so much for the review,I think I'm goin to take I'll your advice on the subject !
Also thanks for saying the slide shows and evacuation videos but in reality I got the idea from Winian Airways.
(Don't tell them i did,shh..)
Thanx1 :)

Falkasia
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Falkasia » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:22 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=107215
Is there actually anything wrong with this, really?
It's consistently ignored, and I have no clue why. The Bukharabia guy who makes up half the posts is a guy from my region who I think just buys from me because he knows me, and the other guy is someone from an 'arms contract' thread.

I'm half-tempted to close it, putting more than 2 week's solid work into it and nothing really to show for it.

Ok, let's see here!

After a quick overview, this is what I found that was done good:

Very thorough company overviews, as well as elaborate and in-depth descriptions of the company's various branches.

A clear corporate objective, as well as a defined target audience for sales.

Lots of original designs, each with a written description and associated statistics block.

Effective use of spoilers to conceal designs, as well as large statistics.

Use of color-coding is a very unique idea. I can't see yellow, but that's beside the point, heh.

Now, what I've noticed you could improve on:

Ok, first and foremost, never start a a storefront with the word "Hello." Just like you'd never start a paper for school or work with the word "Hello," you shouldn't do so here. Beginning with such diction, while it may seem rudimentary and friendly, gives off an atmosphere of informality. A common rule for storefronts is to write as though it was an advertisement in a catalog, or as a "Home Page" for a Weapons Contractor site on the internet.

Your initial explaination is good, although the only thing I'd suggest is perhaps is to avoid the somewhat erratic spacing you've got going. Its hard to read when sentences skip entire lines.

The paramount issue I found though was in organization. The first part is good, but as soon as you start getting in to the department breakdowns, one's eyes tend to wander. I'd recommend that you employ tactical spacing to better breakup the giant block of text I see following the Red Sentence. The Blue color-coding only helps slightly to let me know where one ends and another starts, but even the my eyes found it hard to focus on one single line.

Again, I'd recommend a reorganization of your designs. I had to stop and careful review where one design stopped and another began. If I may, consider a method such as what Lyras does on his storefront. Lyran Arms. Instead of throwing all his designs underneath a spoiler,he creates an additional thread and places links to each post. Much cleaner, much more efficient if you have a lot of equipment, and it adds an additional degree of quality and professionalism.

Pimpmygun, while good for starting companies, will eventually get you knocked down if you ever hope to advance into the top tier of equipment manufacturers. It may be a quick and easy way to churn out unique pictures, but it lacks the same quality associated with the skill of lineart and Paint.

Now, in my honest opinion, the reason why no one has bought from you yet, with the expection of your friend, is because of two reasons. The first would be in your second sentence.

Please note this store is very much under construction, but completely open for orders.

I know for a fact... because I do it too, that potential customers never fully read over your post when they first come on. They skim for key words or attention grabbers that signal to them that the storefront is worth their time. This second sentence tells them all they need to know. "Under Construction" is bolded, and instantly grabs their attention. They so much as see that, and they're done. They'll stop right there, and won't even continue on to read the green print explaining that orders are still welcome.

The second most likely problem is simply a lack of publicity. I had the same problem when my storefront first started out. No one really cared, because as far as they knew, I was just another newb trying to pawn off his designs to an unwitting public. It takes time, and there is no correct or right way to fix the problem. Actually, I don't even think you CAN fix the problem... it just fixes yourself. Getting your first order is always the hardest, but as soon as it comes, it opens the floodgate. Trust me on this. If you build it, they will eventually and undoubtably come.
Dramatis Personae
Falkasia is ranked 1st in the region and 1st in the world for Most Awesome Nations.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:50 pm

/overreaction
I had a stressful week.

Well, it's late at night so there's not much I can do now - *warning huge-ass spoiler*
Samzoniy Arms Anti-Materiel Rifle 01 (SA-AM-1)
The SA-AM-1 "Viper" is a heavy Anti-Materiel designed to be used by specifically sniper teams and EOD specialists for either equipment destruction, vehicle interdiction, and long-range or high-value target personnel engagement. Depicted on the long barrel variant is the SA-EG-3 (Samozniy Arms Electronic Gunsight 3) "Cateye" all-weather nightsight. The short barrel variant sports the SA-EG-2 "Hawkeye", which is the default scope. It features an integral SA-EG-1 "Fractal" laser rangefinder. Both the two barrels and two different sights are completely interchangeable, and almost any picatinny-mountable sight is compatible with the weapon system. Since the primary purpose of the system is Anti-Materiel (such as EOD), the weapon is supplied, standard, with the long-barrel and the SA-EG-2/1 system. The EG-3 nightsight, short barrel, and 'conversion kit' can be supplied at additional cost. The supplied set includes as standard SA-AM-1 designed spotter's binoculars and a cleaning kit.
The long barrel can increase range and accuracy by up to 30% and 50% respectively, whilst the short barrel makes the weapon lighter and can be used for extended periods in the field. The short barrel is also more suited to firing from urban environments and is easier to store in armoured vehicles and aircraft.
A heavier 14.5x114mm variant is under development, to be issued exclusively to EOD and other Ordnance Disposal branches. Purchasers of the system will be TG'd when this uprated variant is available.
[spoiler]Image
The AM-1 is chambered in standard .50BMG ammunition, available from any arms manufacturer. There are 3 ammunition variants, the second two are only available through SMI.
Standard: regular 12.7x99mm BMG ammunition.
Explosive: the warhead of the regular BMG round is replaced by a 6.2g capsule of an explosive compound. Designed to be devastating against personnel.
APFSDS: Following technical issues, sale of this ammunition type is presently suspended.

Statistics (standard .50BMG ammunition):
Caliber: 12.7x99mm .50BMG
Magazine capacity: 10 rounds
Weapon configuration: Bullpup
Length: 48 inches (long barrel), 36 inches (short barrel)
Barrel Length: 36 inches (long barrel), 24 inches (short barrel)
Unit Weight: 18.8kg (long barrel), 17.3kg (short barrel)
Muzzle Velocity: 920m/s
Maximum Range: 2470m
Accurate Range: 1200m
Operation: Gas Operated, Rotating Bolt
Rate of Fire (cyclic): 70rpm, limited semi-automatic fire
Unit cost: $14550
Inclusion of SA-EG-3 nightsight: $3250
Inclusion of Short Barrel w/ conversion kit: 3820
"Full Kit" (standard rifle + SA-EG-3 + Short Barrel kit): $16,880

Samozniy Arms MP5 Marksman (TI) [SA-MP5-TI]
The MP5 Marksman (TI) [Technically Improved] is an MP5 submachine pistol, that has been modified by the STIF division of the SMI to give rifle-standard performance. Designed for internal security operations, it combines the accuracy and range of a rifle with the stopping power of the heavy 9x19mm pistol round. The weapon is ideal for hostage situations where the chance of overpenetration with a regular rifle or sniper rifle round is unacceptable.
Depicted with an SA-EG-5 "Hare" Optical Gunsight, and a compatible M203 rail mounted grenade launcher.
Sold as either a conversion kit for existing MP5 stocks (not applicable to the K or SD variants) or a ready-made weapon.

Statistics:
Caliber: 9x19mm
Magazine capacity: 15 rounds (standard 30 round magazines are compatible)
Weapon configuration: Standard layout
Length: 35 inches
Barrel Length: 14.5 inches
Unit Weight: 3.9kg
Muzzle Velocity: 360m/s
Maximum Range: ~300
Accurate Range: ~200
Operation: Roller-delayed Blowback, Closed Bolt
Rate of Fire (cyclic): 700rpm, semi-automatic fire only, rate not capped
Unit cost: $1500
MP5 Conversion Kit: $650
SA-EG-5 gunsight: $450

Samozniy Arms Combat Shotgun 01 (SA-CS-1)
The "Grizzly" combat shotgun is the result of development into CQC engagements and room clearing. Whilst traditional pump-action type weapons of are greater reliability due large to mechanical simplicity, the requirement to manually action the loading mechanism between shots can fatally restrict combat performance in a CQC environment, particularly against armoured targets.
The shotgun is of a 12-gauge type and is semi-automatic in firing. Other semi-automatic shotguns share another CQC drawback with pump-action counterparts, being a manual reloading action, as well as manual round-laying. The Franchi SPAS-12 and the Benelli M4 (in US service as the M1014) are examples of this. Instead, the Grizzly utilises a 12-round box magazine of shells, to greatly reduce reloading times. There is no cocking handle, and the safety switch automatically cycles rounds into and out of the chamber to compensate.
The system can fire a variety of 12-gauge compatible rounds, from 12-gauge buckshot; compatible size HE, AP, incendiary and smoke grenades; even beanbags for use with police officers in riot control situations.

Statistics:
Caliber: 12-gauge
Magazine capacity: 12 rounds
Weapon configuration: Standard layout; shotgun
Length: 38 inches
Barrel Length: 16 inches
Unit Weight: 5.3kg
Muzzle Velocity: Dependant on munition
Maximum Range: 40-50m (buckshot; grenade munitions are significantly greater)
Accurate Range: 20-30m (buckshot; grenade munitions are significantly greater)
Operation: Gas operated
Rate of Fire (cyclic): 320rpm, semi-automatic fire only, rate not capped
Unit cost: $3200

Samzoniy Arms Assault Rifle 01 (SA-AR-1)
The SA-AR-1 "Doberman" is set to supersede stocks of AEK-971 and AN-94 rifles currently in service with the Samozniy Military. Its performance is largely similar to the SA80 family of rifles fielded by British forces. Chambered in 7.62x39mm NATO 'battle rifle' cartridges, ammunition is cheap and widely available. The Bullpup configuration makes the rifle easier to operate for extended periods, additional recoil control and easier use in CQC situations due to an overall shorter profile whilst maintaining barrel length of a conventional rifle. A modified variant known as the SA-AR-1A fires heavier 7.62x51mm rounds for longer combat ranges.
Depicted with standard flip-up iron sights, a non-standard SA-EG-5 Optical Gunsight, silencer and optional foregrip (foregrip supplied). A compatible M203 rail-mounted launcher is also attached.

Statistics:
Caliber: 7.62x39mm NATO (can be re-chambered for 7.62x51mm NATO [M80])
Magazine capacity: 30 round
Weapon configuration: Bullpup
Length: 31 inches
Barrel Length: 20.4 inches
Unit Weight: 4.6kg
Muzzle Velocity: 850m/s
Maximum Range: ~700m
Accurate Range: ~300m
Rate of Fire (cyclic): 650rpm, fully-automatic. Semi-automatic selector switches between full-auto, 3 round burst and single shot.
Unit cost: $2200
Suppressor: $80

Samozniy Arms Assault Rifle 02 (SA-AR-2)
The SA-AR-2 "Pitbull" is a weapon almost directly comparable to the Colt Commando (CAR-15), and replaces AK-74u type carbines in the Samozniy Army, Navy and Air Force as both a Special Forces weapon, and personal arms of crewmen. It is a highly compact weapon designed for use in CQC environments. The bolt and action are mounted very high up the weapon, so that the 30-round magazine can be mounted further within the weapon, decreasing size and improving ease of handling when firing over cover. The action is known as Direct Impingement (as used in the CAR-15), and unlike standard gas-operated weapon systems, removes numerous components that are not entirely necessary to save cost, weight and internal space without impairing the rate of fire. This system is theoretically more prone to fouling, but many designs of the type can go long stretches without thorough yet basic maintenance.
It was decided against a bullpup layout for the project due to the disadvantages in CQC - reloading requires physically lifting the weapon and looking down at your chest, which can be fatal in such environments, but in open combat at standard ranges, these are negated by a bullpup's advantages.
Depicted with standard flip-up iron sights, a non-standard SA-EG-5 Optical Gunsight, silencer and additional magazines. A foregrip can be purchased for the forward rail mounting. The first image shows the weapon combat-ready, and the second shows it in storage, with buttstock folded and forward iron sight down.

Statistics:
Caliber: 5.56x45mm NATO
Magazine capacity: 30 round
Weapon configuration: Standard Layout
Length: 28 inches; 19.5 inches with buttstock retracted
Barrel Length: 10 inches
Unit Weight: 2.6kg
Muzzle Velocity: 820m/s
Maximum Range: ~600m
Accurate Range: ~200m
Operation: Gas Operated, Direct Impingement
Rate of Fire (cyclic): 650rpm, fully-automatic. Semi-automatic selector switches between full-auto and single shot.
Unit cost: $1900
Suppressor: $80
Foregrip: $60

Samozniy Arms Squad Automatic Weapon 01 (SA-SAW-1)
The "Chimera" is very similar in concept to the American M249 SAW, and similar in design to the SA-CS-1. It is a weapon designed to give soldiers an intermediary between standard issue assault rifles and carbines (7.62-5.56mm), and heavy machine guns such as the CSW-1 "Shrike", chambered in huge 14.5x114mm ammunition in suppressing enemies at range and covering flanking and retreat manoeuvres.
Unlike many types of SAW, the Chimera uses a Beta C-mag type of magazine, similar to that used on the German MG36 (LMG variant of the G36 rifle series). Belt-fed weapons loaded from boxes have much longer and more complex reload times than magazine-fed weapons, and C-mags can hold as many rounds as the average ammunition box. Note the forward bipod, which folds above the barrel and stores over the handguard, so as not to interfere with firing the weapon comfortably from a non-mounted position. The system also features a carrying handle for when not being operated, and a forward rail for mounting sights and scopes.

Statistics:
Caliber: 5.56x45mm NATO
Magazine capacity: 100 round (Beta C-mag)
Weapon configuration: Standard Layout
Length: 42 inches
Barrel Length: 21 inches
Unit Weight: 9.8kg
Muzzle Velocity: 820m/s
Maximum Range: ~800m
Accurate Range: ~400m
Operation: Gas Operated, Open Bolt
Rate of Fire (cyclic): up to 1000rpm, fully-automatic. No semi-automatic functions.
Unit cost: $3600
Foregrip: $60

Samozniy Arms Sniper Rifle 01 (SA-SR-1)
The SA-SR-1 "Talon", although officially classified as a 'Sniper Rifle' is in fact a DMR (Designated Marksman Rifle) type weapon. DMRs have been a standard part of an infantry squad since the 1950s and 60s, be it the M14 in the US Army and Marine Corps or variants of the SVD in Russian military units. Prior to and during WWII, infantry riflemen were issued with typically bolt-action and later semi-automatic rifles all of which were capable of engagements at as much as 500-700m. German research learned that most infantry engagements were at 300m or less, and birthed the concept of the Assault Rifle - a standard infantry weapon tailored to engagements at these short ranges. However, this now led to gaps between the 300m of the rifleman and the 600m+ of the sniper. The DMR was created to fill such a role.
The SA-SR-1 is a rifle that lends design features from the Russian SVD and the Mk12 DMR variant of the M16 US service rifle. Its long, tightly-rifled barrel, excellent SA-EG-4 "Cobra" scope and collapsible bipod mean that it can just as easily be used at 'sniper' ranges in excess of 600m in addition to its intended 300-600m range niche. An optional suppressor and EG-1 laser rangefinder turn this squad-level DMR into a light and effective special operations sniper rifle system.

Statistics:
Caliber: 7.62x51mm NATO (M118LR)
Magazine capacity: 15 round box
Length: 46.2 inches
Barrel Length: 20 inches
Unit Weight: 5.4kg
Muzzle Velocity: 880m/s
Maximum Range: ~900m
Accurate Range: ~600m
Rate of Fire (cyclic): 580rpm - semi-automatic single shot only
Unit cost: $2650
SA-EG-1 laser rangefinder: $240
Suppressor: $150

Samozniy Arms Sniper Rifle 02 [SD] (SA-SR-2-SD)
The SA-SR-2-SD (suppressed) "Python", like its SR-1 counterpart, is officially classified as a 'Sniper Rifle' yet is in fact a DMR (Designated Marksman Rifle) type weapon. The SA-SR-2-SD is designed to be a Special Forces counterpart to the SR-1. Drawing inspiration from the concept of the VSS silenced sniper rifle, it has a manufactured silencer to reduce noise, at the cost of maximum range. Its tight rifling increase accuracy, but further reduce range.
The excellent SA-EG-4 "Cobra" scope and collapsible bipod make it extremely stable in use. An optional EG-1 laser rangefinder can remove the need for a separate spotter, making the system more efficient.

Statistics:
Caliber: 7.62x51mm NATO (M118LR)
Magazine capacity: 15 round box
Length: 34 inches
Barrel Length: 16 inches
Unit Weight: 5.6kg
Muzzle Velocity: 680m/s
Maximum Range: ~500m
Accurate Range: ~300m
Rate of Fire (cyclic): 580rpm - semi-automatic single shot only
Unit cost: $2870
SA-EG-1 laser rangefinder: $240

Samozniy Arms Crew-served Support Weapon 01 (SA-CSW-1)
The SA-CSW-1 "Shrike" is a heavy emplacement-type machine gun system. The 14.5x114mm round has its origins in anti-tank rifles of WWII, and is manufactured in Samozaryadnyastan under licence from the original Russian manufacturer, Simonov. The heavy, long range round gives decent armour-piercing performance against lightly armoured vehicles such as aircraft, trucks and cars.
Due to the large weight of the system, it is recommended for use with a crew of at least three - one man to carry the ammunition, a second to carry the sights and mountings and a third to carry the weapon itself. The gun can be broken down into two barrel segments and a receiver, allowing the whole system to be split across 5 men in lightened loads - ideal for Airborne units.
Two alternate variants, the SA-GAVU-1 and the SA-GAU-1, are available for mounting upon armoured vehicles and aircraft respectively, and are to be purchasable from the Technical Improvements Facility. A lighter version chambered in 12.7x99mm BMG (to be designated SA-CSW-1B) is under development for Airborne units.
IMAGE CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE

Statistics:
Caliber: 14.5x114mm
Magazine capacity: N/A (belt-fed)
Weapon configuration: Belt-fed machine gun
Length: 55 inches
Barrel Length: 43 inches (75 calibre)
Unit Weight: 23kg (not including mountings)
Muzzle Velocity: 1050m/s
Maximum Range: ~3000m
Accurate Range: ~1200m
Rate of Fire (cyclic): 660rpm
Unit cost: $15250

Samozniy Arms Crew-served Support Weapon, 02, Explosive (SA-CSW-2-X)
The SA-CSW-2-X "Schreck" is a light mortar designed for use with regular infantry or special forces. It is designed to grant soldiers small-scale fire support at closer ranges than standard artillery support, almost negating 'Danger Close' concerns. Despite the official tag of 'Crew Served Support Weapon', it is designed to be deployed and operated by a single soldier, but operates most efficiently with two men, a gunner and a loader/spotter.
Shown above in read-to-fire assembled state. The circular baseplate is designed to be easier to store by hanging off a bergen than a square design. The baseplate and bipod are removable, and the barrel can collapse by 8 inches via a locking collar to which the bipod attaches.

Statistics:
Caliber: 50.8mm (2")
Round length: 120mm
Round weight: 1kg
Weapon configuration: Mortar
Barrel Length: 24 inches (12 calibre)
Unit Weight: 5.3kg
Muzzle Velocity: 200m/s
Traverse and Elevation (degrees): 9, 45-75
Maximum Range: 480m
Minimum Range: 200m
Operation: Muzzle loader
Stabilisers: Steel baseplate; front bipod
Rate of Fire (cyclic): One operator, 16rpm; two operators, 24rpm
Unit cost: $13020
How does that look?
Just to make sure everything's separated, I just boxed each product.
Oh dear, the spoilers failed xD
Ah well, never mind.
Last edited by Samozaryadnyastan on Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Falkasia
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Falkasia » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:31 pm

It looks good. Not nearly as jumbled together!
Dramatis Personae

Southern Cynocephali
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Southern Cynocephali » Sun May 01, 2011 8:57 am

Looking to launch an airport in my nation.

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=110232

Thoughts?
Demonyms: Cynoceph (pref.), Cynocephalian, Cyno

Nation on NSWiki
SC Sportswire
APEX Tyres

Falkasia
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Falkasia » Sun May 01, 2011 11:20 am

I just took a look at it, and am quite simply blown away. I'm not even sure if I can find anything that needs improvement.

Let me just say your airport is excellently done. You've made effective usage of spoilers to hide specific information; pictures are clean and effective in location and design. Your descriptions and opening introduction are perfect length, also well-written and elaborate and design.

I guess I'll stop here, and just say you've done an amazing job. My only recommendation would be to vary up some of your diction in your writing. Its good as it is, but sometimes seeing the word "construction" or "design" every other line becomes a bit redundant. As for actual storefront construction and layout, you've reached the top mark. Congratulations!
Dramatis Personae

Southern Cynocephali
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Southern Cynocephali » Sun May 01, 2011 6:11 pm

Falkasia wrote:I just took a look at it, and am quite simply blown away. I'm not even sure if I can find anything that needs improvement.

Let me just say your airport is excellently done. You've made effective usage of spoilers to hide specific information; pictures are clean and effective in location and design. Your descriptions and opening introduction are perfect length, also well-written and elaborate and design.

I guess I'll stop here, and just say you've done an amazing job. My only recommendation would be to vary up some of your diction in your writing. Its good as it is, but sometimes seeing the word "construction" or "design" every other line becomes a bit redundant. As for actual storefront construction and layout, you've reached the top mark. Congratulations!

Thanks, yeah I really began to struggle for synonyms after a while! Will look at it and see what I can change up.

Thanks for the positive comments, I hope it is received well by the community.
Demonyms: Cynoceph (pref.), Cynocephalian, Cyno

Nation on NSWiki
SC Sportswire
APEX Tyres

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Mon May 02, 2011 4:12 pm

Southern Cynocephali wrote:
Thanks, yeah I really began to struggle for synonyms after a while! Will look at it and see what I can change up.

Thanks for the positive comments, I hope it is received well by the community.

And i would like to add to my fellow colleague Falkasia here, that i also really, really like your storefront mate. =)

It is very well done, and i hope that you will have fun roleplaying it. I also would like to suggest to focus your effort into that storefront, until it has more or less become the mainstray storefront of Ge&T. What a lot of people out there has got wrong are the fact that what constitute your roleplaying strength is not the number of storefronts you have, but rather the quality of the storefront(s) under your belt.

I'd rather see a well-developed, full-detailed, and customer-wise friendly storefront, rather than a bunch of badly made, five lines we are this that there you go this is the application apply baby! type of storefront(s).

Good job mate..!
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Whittoria
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Whittoria » Mon May 02, 2011 4:33 pm

You most certainly have the support of Whittoria

EDIT: I don't have any businesses or storefronts here in this forum, but there are organizations in Whittoria (mostly auto racing leagues/teams) that are very interested in forming partnerships with various NS businesses that aren't "Look at my nook gun!Lol!
Last edited by Whittoria on Mon May 02, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I did the football and racing thing. I also was good at writing dumb stuff.

WAC is still going. You should join.

Falkasia
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Falkasia » Mon May 02, 2011 4:34 pm

Uh... thanks.
Dramatis Personae

Whittoria
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Whittoria » Mon May 02, 2011 5:07 pm

Falkasia wrote:Uh... thanks.

You're welcome. As I edited above, we have some organizations in Whittoria that would be interested in forming relationships with some of the more established and respectable storefronts here.
I did the football and racing thing. I also was good at writing dumb stuff.

WAC is still going. You should join.

Falkasia
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Falkasia » Mon May 02, 2011 5:22 pm

Ok. Well, you're free to peruse the reviews and look around. Mass TG or what have you.
Dramatis Personae

Aescentia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aescentia » Mon May 02, 2011 5:28 pm

Yup. And, if so desired, you can ask any of us for advice on putting some of those Whittorian organisations down on the forums. :)
The Archregimancy wrote:Back to dirty, perverted, shameful sex, please.
Ardchoille wrote:Get back to the tits and boobies, you lot!
NERVUN wrote:I am NERV thy MOD. Thou shalt have no other gods before us.
Reppy wrote:Because fun is fun
Stew cranberries like apples
Tastes much more like prunes

I RP under the nation the City of Vauxhall, mid-PMT. ~~ The One Time I was Ever Reported
Handy Links: GE&T Help Desk ~~ Storefront Creation Guide ~~ NSBBB ~~ NSDossier ~~ French Motto Clinic ~~ Technical FAQ ~~ Le Fil Français

Pawn and King
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pawn and King » Mon May 02, 2011 10:59 pm

May I be so bold as to ask you to look after mine? The links in my signature, I've been inactive with it for sometime, but planning to come back.
Need an Assassination done? Look no further...

Falkasia
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Falkasia » Mon May 02, 2011 11:17 pm

Sure. I'll take a look.
Dramatis Personae

Pawn and King
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pawn and King » Wed May 04, 2011 5:47 pm

Falkasia wrote:Sure. I'll take a look.

Cheers!
Need an Assassination done? Look no further...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Global Economics and Trade