NATION

PASSWORD

Global Economics and Trade Help Desk and Q&A

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Risk Defense
Attaché

Founded: Feb 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Risk Defense » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:00 am

I want to use this design on my store front. But I don't know how to make it mine, any tips? Or can I use it as long as I give credit to the author?

Credit:
U.S.A. Gerald R. Ford Class
(Crazyhorse) shipbucket.com
Risk Defense

3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

My account will be deactivated during the summer because I am going to Basic Combat Training.

Jeckland
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeckland » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:35 am

I'm completely new here. What should I do?
Winners: N/A
Runners Up: WBC 30 & 31, Memorial Cup
Semi Final: CE 26, WBC 35, WLC 20

Britonisea
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Britonisea » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:40 am

Jeckland wrote:I'm completely new here. What should I do?

Many things,

Make your own company
Bring money to your country
Set up a charity
The Unlimited.
Rexubliqué Univexserellué de Brityunik #BRI
Follow Britonish Television on Twitter: TVBBritonisea
WorldVision Top 9 | WorldVision Factbook
1st - 162 points - WV112 (314 J+T)
1st - 154 points - WV81
1st - 139 points - WV47
1st - 138 points - WV99 (258 J+T)
1st - 134 points - WV87 (242 J+T)
1st - 132 points - WV73
1st - 117 points - WV64
1st - 113 points - WV41
1st - 98 points - WV63

World Hit Festival Top 9 | World Hit Festival Factbook
1st - 51 points - WHF50
1st - 42 points - WHF59
1st - 38 points - WHF52
1st - 34 points - WHF42
1st - 34 points - WHF48
1st - 33 points - WHF68
1st - 28 points - WHF46
1st - 28 points - WHF37
1st - 20 points - WHF26

Virana
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:49 pm

Risk Defense wrote:I want to use this design on my store front. But I don't know how to make it mine, any tips? Or can I use it as long as I give credit to the author?

(Image)

Credit:

I'd personally recommend contacting its original artist about using it.

Edit: While my statement remains the best way to handle it, here's Shipbucket's Fair Use policy.
Last edited by Virana on Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
II Mentor specializing in MT and GE&T. If you need help, TG me, visit our thread, or join our IRC channel, #NSMentors on irc.esper.net!

Mentors Hub | Welcome to II | RP Questions | #NSMentors
International Incidents Mentor | IIwiki Administrator

Owner of the United Republic of Emmeria and everything about it

Premislyd
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Premislyd » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:05 pm

Virana wrote:
Risk Defense wrote:I want to use this design on my store front. But I don't know how to make it mine, any tips? Or can I use it as long as I give credit to the author?

(Image)

Credit:

I'd personally recommend contacting its original artist about using it.

Shipbucket uses a "Fair Use Agreement". So long as the original artist's name is properly displayed in the image and maintains proper shipbucket etiquette, he's free to use it.
Just a heads up, I suffer from [insert stereotypical internet illness here], and will use it as an excuse instead of taking responsibility for my actions.
~Transgendered, bisexual, transsexual, metrosexual, homosexual, Japanophile, heterosexual, transvestite asexual and proud~
Pimps Inc wrote:Swastikas are not allowed in nationstates unless your are RPing as Nazi Germany or sumthing

Jeckland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jeckland » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:29 pm

Britonisea wrote:
Jeckland wrote:I'm completely new here. What should I do?

Many things,

Make your own company
Bring money to your country
Set up a charity
The Unlimited.

I have no idea how to do any of this

Jeckland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jeckland » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:20 am

Okay, let me try again. What should I do first AND HOW DO I DO IT

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:53 am

Jeckland wrote:Okay, let me try again. What should I do first AND HOW DO I DO IT

1. Read the guides that are listed in this Help Desk. They will help you in creating storefronts and give you valuable insight into how GE&T functions.
2. Look through from the popular storefronts in GE&T to get a feel for how they are made, the types of products they sell, style, etc.
3. You can order something from a storefront. Here is a specific guide on how to order something from a storefront.
4. After reading the guides and perusing GE&T for a while, and if you have an interesting/original idea, then you should make a storefront.
Last edited by Tippercommon on Wed Oct 09, 1996 10:46 pm, edited 3.1416 times in total.
Looking for a Modern Tech Roleplay Region? Check out Anterra!

Romberg
Senator

Founded: Mar 15, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Romberg » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:08 am

Protip: Remember that you don't need money or stuff. It's all roleplay. Keep your numbers realistic and it'll be fine.
Proud Member of Astyria.

Info: Population 150 mil. Centrist. Based on a much more competent Austrian Empire with Scandinavian and Russian influences.

Storefronts: Holding Company|Airline|Railway

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Lamoni » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:56 am

Jeckland wrote:Okay, let me try again. What should I do first AND HOW DO I DO IT

That depends on what you want to do.

Do you want to buy stuff? Then visit storefronts and see what their rules are for buying stuff before placing an order in the relevant storefront.

Do you want to sell stuff? Then you'll need to create your own storefront. There are lots of people here on GE&T who can give you advice on how to do that, so I won't put it here.

Other than that, the other answers given so far are good ones.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Jeckland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jeckland » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:59 am

Thanks for the help.

Soviet Sovereign States
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Sovereign States » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:50 pm

Hey this may seem like a stupid question but what does a production license or a developmental license mean on a military storefront ?
The Union of Soviet Sovereign States

The Free Republic of Akan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Republic of Akan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:05 pm

Soviet Sovereign States wrote:Hey this may seem like a stupid question but what does a production license or a developmental license mean on a military storefront ?

I think its usually called DPR. Its domestic production rights. To answer your question, it means the right to produce the military goods.

Dont worry, I didn't know that myself at first :p
The correct way to say the people in my country is Akanian.
Our motto is translated in latin to "The people have the power"
I support thermonuclear warfare. Do you?
Proud Member of the New Democrats in the NSG Senate

Virana
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:00 pm

Soviet Sovereign States wrote:Hey this may seem like a stupid question but what does a production license or a developmental license mean on a military storefront ?

As Akan mentioned, it gives you the right to produce the equipment domestically. Most storefronts handle it this way: you pay a high, fixed price, and you can produce however many you want domestically.
II Mentor specializing in MT and GE&T. If you need help, TG me, visit our thread, or join our IRC channel, #NSMentors on irc.esper.net!

Mentors Hub | Welcome to II | RP Questions | #NSMentors
International Incidents Mentor | IIwiki Administrator

Owner of the United Republic of Emmeria and everything about it

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:24 pm

Virana wrote:

As Akan mentioned, it gives you the right to produce the equipment domestically. Most storefronts handle it this way: you pay a high, fixed price, and you can produce however many you want domestically.

However, if you don't want to be a total mong, you can sell DPR's individually, meaning that each DPR you buy represents one unit that you can produce. They are cheaper than purchasing the unit outright because the storefront owner is not producing it, the customer is. This way the customer doesn't have free reign to produce an infinite amount of units.
Last edited by Tippercommon on Wed Oct 09, 1996 10:46 pm, edited 3.1416 times in total.
Looking for a Modern Tech Roleplay Region? Check out Anterra!

Feroxi
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Feroxi » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:34 pm

Where could I find help creating an arms storefront? I'm interested, but clueless as how to go about making one. Thanks for your time.
"One is to be admired for rebuilding thy self, not judged."
- The Self Proclaimed Master of Forum Chivalry
NationStates' resident knight in not-so shining armor.

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:38 pm

Feroxi wrote:Where could I find help creating an arms storefront? I'm interested, but clueless as how to go about making one. Thanks for your time.

First, I would suggest taking a close look at the biggest and most active arms storefronts, and watch what they do, and how they do it. Don't just take a quick look and dash, i'd suggest that you watch them over at least a couple of weeks to a month, get used to how they fundamentally operate.

Here are some good storefronts to watch:

ASAEA

Lyran Arms

Crookfur Arms

Karlberg Industries AB

VLT Automotive

Once you've seen how these storefronts generally operate, then you can start to plan out your own storefront. One thing you'll want is to have quality products, none of these horribad PimpMyGun images with statblocs ripped off from Wikipedia, if even a little bit of effort was put into them at all. There are people on GE&T who can spend years on just one design (and it shows), but you won't be expected to meet that kind of quality standard, just as long as your products are sensible. Also, never plagiarize stuff from other users, always ask for permission first. You'd be surprised at how many people will say yes if you simply ASK them first.

Another (equally) important thing is the formatting and layout of your storefront. If you want your storefront to really stand out from the crowd, you'll want to have a good layout and formatting. Treat it like it is a real business, and visually design your storefront accordingly, to the best of your ability. If you need help with that, ask.

The third thing is customer service. I think that that is self-explanatory, no?

If you have these three essentials, then your storefront will be off to a good start, and you'll be able to focus on advertising. There is some disagreement on how to best advertise your storefront, but good ways of going about it include putting a link in your signature, and spreading the word about your storefront in clever IC ways during RPs. Once your storefront gets enough activity, word of mouth advertising of your storefront by others starts to take hold, and that is very valuable.
National Anthem

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Risk Defense
Attaché

Founded: Feb 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Risk Defense » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:14 pm

I want to put these in my store front (with credit to the authors) but i don't want to mess with them. They are all scaled to each other should i post them as the same size or change them?
Risk Defense

3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

My account will be deactivated during the summer because I am going to Basic Combat Training.

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:17 am

As long as you credit the artists, and let people know what the image scale is, it should be okay, as long as you have the permission of the artists in question.
National Anthem

Icatus
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Icatus » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:52 pm

Romberg wrote:Protip: Remember that you don't need money or stuff. It's all roleplay. Keep your numbers realistic and it'll be fine.

Agreed. I stuffed this up when I was beginning, but I got a lucky grant from ViZion for about 18 billion through a simple-er storefront, but now I just tax my people. Either way.

My question; I started a storefront called GECoin. It's kinda like Bitcoin, but more of a rewards program.

Now, the big question I have is should I encourage start-ups like the quoted to sign up for it, since it can be exchanged, as a way to get them money without ever actually receiving any?

What I'm trying to say is this:

Big nation 1 buys from big nation 2. Big nation 1 gets item, as well as Coins. Small nation 1 signs up, and becomes registered. Big nation 1 thinks "Hey, I want that" and spends GECoins on it. Small nation 1 takes said coins and exchanges them for cash.

Does that hypothetically work, based on what people here think?
Population: 217 Million
Military: 684,315
Tech: Modern

Factbook, lists most military and other fairly-important information.

Shaff
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Help on an Automotive Storefront

Postby Shaff » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:07 pm

Hey,

I am making an automotive storefront.

Any suggestions or advice on what i have so far ?

All will be appreciated.

I also need help with car pictures, can someone help ?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=288385

Euroslavia
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Euroslavia » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:17 pm

Shaff wrote:Hey,

All will be appreciated.

Moved from General to Global Economics and Trade, then merged with the Q&A thread.
BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

Van Luxemburg
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Van Luxemburg » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:22 am

Shaff wrote:Hey,

All will be appreciated.

First of all, I'd suggest against copy-pasting content from existing manufacturers. Looks like the description of your company came from Lexus, the model description from Cadillac (ATS) and the specifications from Acura (ILX). It was immediately apparent for me, especially because you refer to 'Lexan' innovations in the OP which are then not implemented in the model you offer, and the 'ILS' is suddenly called 'ILX' halfway down the page, not to mention the use of Honda/Acura-specific brand names (i-VTEC).

I'd highly recommend you write up your own history and model information. You're absolutely free to reference existing write-ups, websites and press releases to see what you can and should put in your information and model specifications, and I would absolutely recommend doing so. However, keep it unique to your own brand, don't just outright copy content.

As for the more general look and feel of your storefront, it seems a bit cluttered as soon as you get to the second post. I would recommend to have the second post link to all the different models, and then describe them in separate posts, instead of making your lineup also the model description/specification post for your entire range. In the model post, have a nice picture, a short write-up and an overview of the most important specifications and features of your car. Try to make this easy to read, for example by putting this info into tables. See these guides by Maltropia and Tippercommon for more info:

Formatting your Storefront by Maltropia
Guide to Storefront Formatting & Design by Tippercommon

And finally, as you already mentioned yourself, pictures are a great help. Consider concept cars, little-known brands and design proposals when you look for the images of your models. Whilst I wouldn't really know of one catch-all site that turns out to be a goldmine of little-used car images, I would simply recommend staying on the lookout at all times. As a car buff, I monitor a lot of different car sites. Sometimes images of a suitable car pop by, and I save these to my computer immediately so I can potentially use these later.

Cyprevus
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyprevus » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:01 pm

How many USDs are in 1 NSDs
Xbox Live = Hunterb2013
Fallout RP Group
Call me Cyp
Meet my friend Mr. Tank
[█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I█████████████████]
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:15 pm

Cyprevus wrote:How many USDs are in 1 NSDs

Precisely one.
National Anthem

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Global Economics and Trade