NATION

PASSWORD

Global Economics and Trade Help Desk and Q&A

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bulanesia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bulanesia » Thu May 12, 2016 2:08 am

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do to improve my logistics/cargo airline/courier storefront?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=377574
  • Malaysian
  • Muslim
  • Malay
  • ISFJ
  • Student
Kingdom of Bulanesia | Kerajaan Bulanesia | كراجأن بولنيسيا
A constitutional monarchy with parliamentary democracy located in Southeast Asia, southwest of Indonesia.

Embassy | BulanEx | Airlines
Some NS stats apply.

Pharthan
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pharthan » Thu May 12, 2016 6:38 am

Just a few ideas:
  • A Navigation Bar (I've found a wide one at the top of each post is best, in my opinion) would help for navigation between posts.
  • A section about Security might be nice for some.
  • Large cargo aircraft might help bolster your business.
  • More pictures might help spruce up the page.
  • The formatting seems just a bit bland. Separating out different segments into boxes can help break the monotony; you may find it beneficial to alternate which segments are or are not in boxes.
  • Discount rates?
HALCYON ARMS STOREFRONT

"Humanity is a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"Besides, if God didn't want us making glowing fish and insect-resistant corn, the building blocks of life wouldn't be so easy for science to fiddle with." - Dracoria

Why haven't I had anything new in my storefront for so long? This is why. I've been busy.

Stormwrath
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwrath » Thu May 12, 2016 5:35 pm

Maltropia wrote:It's been a while since I saw a decent shipping storefront. I used to run one, which I'm too tired to find right now (Maltropian Cargo International, if you're committed), and there have been others. I think I would include info on ship classes (and if you need ships, I have another storefront that'll sell them to you) and rates, yes. Ports of call was a stumbling block for me, as I tried to force everything into specific routes that just got messy and likely would have been far from economically viable. Learn from my mistakes. I know I don't. :p

If you have container starships in said storefront I might consider buying them. :P

Nordeana
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordeana » Sat May 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Here is a banking and finance storefront that I recently opened.

Any comments/suggestions?
THE FEDERATION OF NORDEANA | DE FØDERATION AF NORDEANA
[Capital: Navenhagen | Population: 34.6M | Trigramme: NOR | Demonym: Nordeanian]
[Government: Parliamentary Democracy | Economy: Service-based Free Market]

[National Info: Encyclopaedia Nordeanica (Factbook) | Hanseatic Media (Domestic News) | nordsport.nd (Sportswire)]
[Businesses: Hanseatic Financial (Finance)]

The Maniolas
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Maniolas » Sat May 14, 2016 8:41 pm

Pardon me for my upcoming showcase of my ignorance but I want to make a gas and oil company. I know what the logo looks like, that I am most likely going to interact with airline, airport, auto, and oil storefronts but that is all I know. I could do the fuel, gas and oil research myself. What should I put inside the storefront? Would such a storefront even be reasonably realistic?

Blackstar Island
Political Columnist

Founded: May 20, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Blackstar Island » Sat May 21, 2016 10:53 pm

A long, long time ago, there was a nation called Clan Smoke Jaguar that ran a storefront that sold packages designed around entire military units - basically saying, "You need a carrier group? Here's everything you need, with one price tag. Infantry unit? We have you covered by unit size, battalions to brigades. Tank units? Same story. Want to swap out some equipment for different varieties? Here's the cost for that." Is there anyone who has taken up that mantle?

Common Territories
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Common Territories » Sat May 21, 2016 11:13 pm

Blackstar Island wrote:A long, long time ago, there was a nation called Clan Smoke Jaguar that ran a storefront that sold packages designed around entire military units - basically saying, "You need a carrier group? Here's everything you need, with one price tag. Infantry unit? We have you covered by unit size, battalions to brigades. Tank units? Same story. Want to swap out some equipment for different varieties? Here's the cost for that." Is there anyone who has taken up that mantle?

"Clan Smoke Jaguar" isn't probably the first and sure wont be the last to offer packages for items. As far as I know there are a few storefronts (military) that sell packages. Though those still active I do know about include Lyras Arms and my own Wolf Armaments (though I use packages on other storefronts). As far as I've been told Lyras uses too big of numbers for the smallest basic units - that's what I heard in critique of his packages anyways. I based mine on the smallest a typical unit would be and I did real number crunching on most of them. So you're likely best bet is my storefront unless anyone knows other package available storefronts that fit; I honestly don't so if someone else can find them then please share.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat May 21, 2016 11:20 pm

The Maniolas wrote:Pardon me for my upcoming showcase of my ignorance but I want to make a gas and oil company. I know what the logo looks like, that I am most likely going to interact with airline, airport, auto, and oil storefronts but that is all I know. I could do the fuel, gas and oil research myself. What should I put inside the storefront? Would such a storefront even be reasonably realistic?

Storefronts of course run on a certain degree of suspension of disbelief and a simplification of real economic processes.

What can you sell? Oil, gas, diesel, gasoline, mazut? You should figure out a way to make the products and services you sell be interesting and reflect the unique nature of your nation somehow. That's a bit difficult in the context of selling oil and gas.
Last edited by Allanea on Sat May 21, 2016 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Blackstar Island
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Blackstar Island » Sun May 22, 2016 2:09 am

Common Territories wrote:
Blackstar Island wrote:A long, long time ago, there was a nation called Clan Smoke Jaguar that ran a storefront that sold packages designed around entire military units - basically saying, "You need a carrier group? Here's everything you need, with one price tag. Infantry unit? We have you covered by unit size, battalions to brigades. Tank units? Same story. Want to swap out some equipment for different varieties? Here's the cost for that." Is there anyone who has taken up that mantle?

"Clan Smoke Jaguar" isn't probably the first and sure wont be the last to offer packages for items. As far as I know there are a few storefronts (military) that sell packages. Though those still active I do know about include Lyras Arms and my own Wolf Armaments (though I use packages on other storefronts). As far as I've been told Lyras uses too big of numbers for the smallest basic units - that's what I heard in critique of his packages anyways. I based mine on the smallest a typical unit would be and I did real number crunching on most of them. So you're likely best bet is my storefront unless anyone knows other package available storefronts that fit; I honestly don't so if someone else can find them then please share.

I did find an archive of CSJ's naval package storefront after a little digging: https://nationstates.ermarian.net/jolt/1230/311031 That's the kind of detail I'm after, and from the examples you've provided I suspect my time will be better spent digging up CSJ's archives than hunting through the current storefronts. Thanks though.

Common Territories
Senator

Postby Common Territories » Sun May 22, 2016 10:50 am

Blackstar Island wrote:
Common Territories wrote:

I did find an archive of CSJ's naval package storefront after a little digging: https://nationstates.ermarian.net/jolt/1230/311031 That's the kind of detail I'm after, and from the examples you've provided I suspect my time will be better spent digging up CSJ's archives than hunting through the current storefronts. Thanks though.

Well to be perfectly honest, all I see in difference is that he decided to list storage levels of ammunition/munitions. Granted a lot of my larger munitions are included, I've never seen anyone go into that much detail before (it's usually a case of stating the maximum available space/stored items). Whatever floats your boat though if you still want to use that equipment - I feel a number of people's naval equipment is good but it comes down to preference, and that's your choice.

Blackstar Island
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Blackstar Island » Sun May 22, 2016 4:27 pm

Common Territories wrote:Well to be perfectly honest, all I see in difference is that he decided to list storage levels of ammunition/munitions. Granted a lot of my larger munitions are included, I've never seen anyone go into that much detail before (it's usually a case of stating the maximum available space/stored items). Whatever floats your boat though if you still want to use that equipment - I feel a number of people's naval equipment is good but it comes down to preference, and that's your choice.

Diversity of choice, primarily.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Re: Nordeana

Postby Yohannes » Thu May 26, 2016 12:22 am

Nordeana wrote:Here is a banking and finance storefront that I recently opened.

Any comments/suggestions?

It's good. The formatting's good, the content is good (I am looking forward to you finishing the to be developed sections). You seems to understand the theory of Rping finance/banking well (you're extrapolating that and applying it to the theoretical NS RP realms well)

I like it!
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Re: Blackstar Island

Postby Yohannes » Thu May 26, 2016 12:28 am

Blackstar Island wrote:Diversity of choice, primarily.

The current arms storefronts primarily based their packages off Lyran Arms and modified it to their own unique versions. Lyran Arms was pretty much the first package based storefronts that many new players (who are now the regulars) see since as early as 2009 [edit: there were heaps of others doing it before him, but none of them were as high profile as him... so obviously most of the new players gravitated towards him since 2009]. This is why you see a lot of similarities of package based formatting, because they are all (probably with the exceptions of very few) based off Lyras' formatting

If you want to look at old style packaging, you might be well better off stalking the old The NS Draftroom [edit: not the new one, but the old one with the 'The'] forums and see if there are still old storefronts (on the website) there. I agree with Common Territories as well that both the new (Lyras based) and old (pre 2009) style has their own advantages and disadvantages, so it's not necessarily a case of one is higher quality or more accurate than the others, because unless ur in the military irl (or ur really an extreme-extreme military nerd) you wouldn't possibly know what is a good or ideal 'package' to advertise for potential fictional buyers
Last edited by Yohannes on Thu May 26, 2016 1:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Tobiasia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tobiasia » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:37 am

How do you make a table of contents for a storefront? I have tried but it is all jumbled up.
British, liberal, Labour Party member

Join World Conference!

The Nation of Ceneria
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nation of Ceneria » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:34 am

Tobiasia wrote:How do you make a table of contents for a storefront? I have tried but it is all jumbled up.

Maltropia has a section about ToC's in his guide - click here. It's quite helpful, and is how I figured out how to actually make navigation boxes and the like.

Stahn
Senator

Founded: May 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:48 pm

For a long time I have been planning to enter the oversaturated marked for military hardware.

I am planning to do one Polandball style. Is that okay?

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:08 pm

Stahn wrote:For a long time I have been planning to enter the oversaturated marked for military hardware.

You can do what you want and if you feel that there is an audience for it you should can in to polandball style storefront.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Stahn
Senator

Founded: May 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:34 pm

Crookfur wrote:
Stahn wrote:For a long time I have been planning to enter the oversaturated marked for military hardware.

You can do what you want and if you feel that there is an audience for it you should can in to polandball style storefront.

Thank yuo. :)

Holy Marsh
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 09, 2007

Postby Holy Marsh » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:11 am

There is always a way to find a niche, even in a market like military hardware.

Tobiasia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tobiasia » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:30 pm

How do I make an order form?
British, liberal, Labour Party member

Join World Conference!

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:04 pm

Tobiasia wrote:How do I make an order form?

If mean something that your customers can just copy-paste, where all the coding is prepared (e.g. the following), the correct code is, well, [CODE]. Be aware that nothing that goes inside [CODE] tags will render as, say, bolded text or working links, just as BBcode. The [PRE] code does something similar but it renders it.

To get, for example:
Code: Select all
[b]Customer name:[/b]
[b]Address:[/b]
[b]Product:[/b]
[b]Quantity:[/b]
Use:
[code][b]Customer name:[/b]
[b]Address:[/b]
[b]Product:[/b]
[b]Quantity:[/b][/code]
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Thaitum
Envoy

Founded: Apr 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Thaitum » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:41 am

Hello I am new to nation states and it's forums and I'd like to know, what is DPR and NSD?

Common Territories
Senator

Postby Common Territories » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:48 am

Thaitum wrote:Hello I am new to nation states and it's forums and I'd like to know, what is DPR and NSD?

DPR stands for Domestic Production Rights - they're essentially the licenses to produce a product from one company to another; say company A sells DPR rights to Country B, Country B's chosen company would have the right to produce said product according to the DPR agreement.

NSD stands for NationState Dollar. It's the standard currency here used to simplify the entire process of international sales. Your own currency (of which is your choosing) can either be better or worse than the NSD - NSD is essentially stuck at the equator of this scale system. Determining your own currency's wealth is mostly based on choice (or if you're rational based on IC stats/events that happen).

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:36 am

The Nation of Ceneria wrote:Awrighty. All done with the guide: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=377297

Tell me what you think! Thanks!

Your guide has been added to the help desk.
Last edited by Tippercommon on Wed Oct 09, 1996 10:46 pm, edited 3.1416 times in total.
Looking for a Modern Tech Roleplay Region? Check out Anterra!

Greco-Roman Hellenic Empire
Lobbyist

Founded: May 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Greco-Roman Hellenic Empire » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:34 pm

Hello!

Quick Question. Does anyone know where I could find bombers that are built to kill ships on the forum?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Global Economics and Trade