NATION

PASSWORD

Global Economics and Trade Help Desk and Q&A

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aquatus
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 20, 2016
Ex-Nation

Thank you

Postby Aquatus » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:20 pm

Aquitayne wrote:
Aquatus wrote:How to make and edit a map for nationstates?

Download a photo editing program like Paint.net or Photoshop. There's no way to do it through NationStates.

thank you :)

Stahn
Senator

Founded: May 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:58 pm

Are there any sites that give a decent indication on how much military hardware cost IRL?

I am hoping for an indication on everything from small arms to carriers. Sometimes I sell something but I don't really know what would be a proper price.
Last edited by Stahn on Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Common Territories
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Common Territories » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:36 am

Stahn wrote:Are there any sites that give a decent indication on how much military hardware cost IRL?

I am hoping for an indication on everything from small arms to carriers. Sometimes I sell something but I don't really know what would be a proper price.

Wikipedia usually gives unit costs. If not, then some other sites that you can find on the first page of a google search should do the trick.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:23 am

Stahn wrote:Are there any sites that give a decent indication on how much military hardware cost IRL?

Saddly there is no single source or even small collection of sources that's all that useful for this, it's more or less a case of thinking about a couple of specific examples that are close (ish) to your creation and searching for them to give you a ballpark area to play in.

Of course even if googling brings up pricing info it can be contradictory depending on how people have worked out prices. A big issue with many quoted unit prices is that folks have simply taken whole contract prices and devised by a number of units forgetting that big contract values typically cover all sorts of spares and extras.

There is no real need to be amazingly accurate in terms of prices as most people tend not to actually pay much attention but I can understand how it can become a bit of a headache, as it did for me once upon a time.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Stahn
Senator

Founded: May 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:24 pm

Thank you both, Crookfur and Common Territories. :)

Common Territories
Senator

Postby Common Territories » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:24 pm

Crookfur wrote:

Saddly there is no single source or even small collection of sources that's all that useful for this, it's more or less a case of thinking about a couple of specific examples that are close (ish) to your creation and searching for them to give you a ballpark area to play in.

Of course even if googling brings up pricing info it can be contradictory depending on how people have worked out prices. A big issue with many quoted unit prices is that folks have simply taken whole contract prices and devised by a number of units forgetting that big contract values typically cover all sorts of spares and extras.

There is no real need to be amazingly accurate in terms of prices as most people tend not to actually pay much attention but I can understand how it can become a bit of a headache, as it did for me once upon a time.

True. I made my own prices by comparing RL examples and examples here on GE&T. Though if you really need to find a price im sure asking here would be good since a lot of us can find the info - or knows someone who can find it. Just a tip for anyone in need of future price help here.

Werreales
Envoy

Founded: Nov 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Werreales » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:13 pm

Hello, I wanted to ask a question: does storefronts help us having economic bonuses on stats or no? Thanks.

Pharthan
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pharthan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:44 pm

Werreales wrote:Hello, I wanted to ask a question: does storefronts help us having economic bonuses on stats or no? Thanks.

No. The forum and nation stats are not linked.
HALCYON ARMS STOREFRONT

"Humanity is a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"Besides, if God didn't want us making glowing fish and insect-resistant corn, the building blocks of life wouldn't be so easy for science to fiddle with." - Dracoria

Why haven't I had anything new in my storefront for so long? This is why. I've been busy.

Werreales
Envoy

Founded: Nov 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Werreales » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:43 pm

Then, what's the utility of a storefront. (Sorry for this rude question, I am seriously interested about making one but what does it give more on RPs?)

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:08 pm

Werreales wrote:Then, what's the utility of a storefront. (Sorry for this rude question, I am seriously interested about making one but what does it give more on RPs?)

There is no real utility its just something you do for fun and perhaps as a means of forming relationships with other players.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:28 pm

Werreales wrote:Then, what's the utility of a storefront. (Sorry for this rude question, I am seriously interested about making one but what does it give more on RPs?)

To command the respect of legions (probably more like 4 people).
Last edited by Tippercommon on Wed Oct 09, 1996 10:46 pm, edited 3.1416 times in total.
Looking for a Modern Tech Roleplay Region? Check out Anterra!

The Territories of Hendersu
Civilian

Founded: Apr 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Endorsing

Postby The Territories of Hendersu » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:23 am

I have recently joined a region, and wish to endorse the delegate of the World Assembly. How do I do this?

Common Territories
Senator

Postby Common Territories » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:56 pm

The Territories of Hendersu wrote:I have recently joined a region, and wish to endorse the delegate of the World Assembly. How do I do this?

For future reference, this is not exactly the place to ask this kind of question (gameplay and technical questions have their place). To answer your question though, you must be a member of the World Assembly (https://www.nationstates.net/page=un) and from there, once you're a member, you go to your Delegate's nation page. You will see their endorsements bellow near the bottom of the page, and you will see a clickable option to endorse them. It's pretty simple so there shouldn't be a mistake so long as you're following the WA's membership rules and the site's rules.

Prosorusiya
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Prosorusiya » Thu May 05, 2016 10:29 pm

Are there any quick links to storefronts selling exotic animals, or animals in general? I am looking to outfit a traveling circus...
AH Ossetia (1921-1989)

10th Anniversary: NS User Since 2012

Pharthan
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pharthan » Fri May 06, 2016 3:06 am

Part of it is the roleplaying fun. Part of it is to be able to have backstory for your nation and make it more than just a page.
It also gives yourself something to roleplay with in other areas; I can pretty much run my entire nation's military with stuff I have on my storefront, so it gives me that extra bit of originality when I do II roleplays.

Oh, and showing off.
Last edited by Pharthan on Fri May 06, 2016 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
HALCYON ARMS STOREFRONT

"Humanity is a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"Besides, if God didn't want us making glowing fish and insect-resistant corn, the building blocks of life wouldn't be so easy for science to fiddle with." - Dracoria

Why haven't I had anything new in my storefront for so long? This is why. I've been busy.

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 13, 2012

Postby Neu Engollon » Sat May 07, 2016 12:07 am

Prosorusiya wrote:Are there any quick links to storefronts selling exotic animals, or animals in general? I am looking to outfit a traveling circus...

I was going to say Mike's Monkey House, but New Edom already got in touch with you on your thread, I see. Good luck with that.
TG me with questions if you got some, especially about GE&T or PMCs.
My Factbook
Important Neu Engollian Links.
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

The Nation of Ceneria
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nation of Ceneria » Sat May 07, 2016 6:51 am

Hey, folks. I'm finally getting off my lazy rear and writing a guide to product-creation, specifically military. Are there any specific points that you suggest that I address that you'd like to see get more attention?

Korva
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 22, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Korva » Sat May 07, 2016 4:54 pm

The Nation of Ceneria wrote:Hey, folks. I'm finally getting off my lazy rear and writing a guide to product-creation, specifically military. Are there any specific points that you suggest that I address that you'd like to see get more attention?

How to avoid overuse of superlatives and technobabble.

Iberian Kingdom
Secretary

Founded: May 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Iberian Kingdom » Sun May 08, 2016 1:16 pm

Hey, I have a quick question.

If a storefront's nation is dead, and has been for a long time, is it possible to ever arrange something as to either getting a few products from the storefront to sell yourself, or just take one of the products they made and sort of use it like your own?

Common Territories
Senator

Postby Common Territories » Sun May 08, 2016 1:28 pm

Iberian Kingdom wrote:Hey, I have a quick question.

If a storefront's nation is dead, and has been for a long time, is it possible to ever arrange something as to either getting a few products from the storefront to sell yourself, or just take one of the products they made and sort of use it like your own?

No. Regardless if they're still here or not, stealing from another's thread is not allowed. I had one such case against myself years ago where someone decided to remake a storefront an associate I knew made with me (he was a subordinate company to my own). Long story short, it's not kosher to take what's not yours.

Iberian Kingdom
Secretary

Founded: May 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Iberian Kingdom » Sun May 08, 2016 1:50 pm

Common Territories wrote:
Iberian Kingdom wrote:Hey, I have a quick question.

No. Regardless if they're still here or not, stealing from another's thread is not allowed. I had one such case against myself years ago where someone decided to remake a storefront an associate I knew made with me (he was a subordinate company to my own). Long story short, it's not kosher to take what's not yours.

Alright. What happens to storefronts who's owners disappear? Like, that's a ton of work to just wash down the drain.

On a side note, what's the best kind of storefront to start? Like, arms, airlines, banks, and maybe some auto company seem to be all that succeeds. What do you recommend?

Common Territories
Senator

Postby Common Territories » Sun May 08, 2016 3:20 pm

Iberian Kingdom wrote:
Common Territories wrote:

Alright. What happens to storefronts who's owners disappear? Like, that's a ton of work to just wash down the drain.

On a side note, what's the best kind of storefront to start? Like, arms, airlines, banks, and maybe some auto company seem to be all that succeeds. What do you recommend?

Storefronts that have their owners CTE just simply die off, receding to the back of the list of threads on this forum. Same as any thread on NS. It depends on the owner what happens to them; I've seen some go full implosion and just nuke everything when they quit, but the vast majority just CTE and the thread dies. Though I myself have a plan to and stated policy when I CTE/or quit.

My suggestion is anything you take interest enough in to actually put the work in for. If you do the standard fair arms or airport without having interest you're likely just going to become one of the many "RL Retailers" out there; people who essentially copy RL products to a 'T' and resell them here. Do something you find interest in and are willing to put work into - airlines/airports aren't a bad first choice since they're easy and everyone plus their grandmother have one these days. There isn't really a one that's perfect for first starts. You pick one you're interested in, put in the work, and you keep at it until you sandpaper the edges off. As long as you offer a unique version of a product, have a clean looking page, and refined a system for yourself, all you'll need is experience over time.

The Nation of Ceneria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nation of Ceneria » Sun May 08, 2016 6:38 pm

Awrighty. All done with the guide: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=377297

Tell me what you think! Thanks!
Last edited by The Nation of Ceneria on Sun May 08, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sun May 08, 2016 6:58 pm

The Nation of Ceneria wrote:Awrighty. All done with the guide: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=377297

Yohannes'* guide to creating a product. I haven't had Yoh's password for years. :p
Last edited by Maltropia on Sun May 08, 2016 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

The Nation of Ceneria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nation of Ceneria » Sun May 08, 2016 7:15 pm

Maltropia wrote:
The Nation of Ceneria wrote:Awrighty. All done with the guide: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=377297

Yohannes'* guide to creating a product. I haven't had Yoh's password for years. :p

Wait, what? Where??? :unsure:

EDIT: Oh, crap. Wow. I can't believe I misread that that many times. Okay, I feel really, really bad now. And I talk about plagiarism being frowned upon...

Alright, fixed it. Wow, I am really sorry, @Yohannes. :? (please don't kill me...)
Last edited by The Nation of Ceneria on Sun May 08, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Global Economics and Trade