NATION

PASSWORD

Global Economics and Trade Help Desk and Q&A

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Korva
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 22, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Korva » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:05 am

Bankampar wrote:Hey, I finished my energy storefront not too long ago, but I've gotten no business so I wanted to ask some people's opinions of it that's cool. :)

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... 6&t=351325

It seems like you have put a bunch of work into it but all the large paragraphs/info cause information overload. Most potential customers will probably have their eyes glaze over when they see so much text. Maybe consider spoilering some stuff.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:59 am

*shudders convulsively*

Don't spoiler your content, show it off. Instead of hiding them shamefully, find a way to make walls of text flashy and attractive. Clean your storefront up a bit. Play around with different sizes of text for your headings and subheadings. Your text is good and shows a level of commitment to your work that many storefronts lack. Play that up as much as you can by supporting it (not replacing it) with more and better use of images or formatting.

Try making image headers for your various sections. It can be as simple as opening up Paint.net (or any similar programme), removing your white background, adding in some coloured text in a nice font, cropping and uploading that. If you can't do that, you could even toy with using the colour BBcode instead.

My post history will reveal I am very strongly opinionated on this, but I really do think [align=justify] will work wonders on most of your paragraphs. It evens the whole thing out beautifully. I'd give more advice but my internet sucks and I lack the commitment to persevere any further. :p

It's a very solid storefront, and with some touching up could easily have one of the best aesthetics in the industry. It's good to see you getting back into GE&T, too. Good luck. o/
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Auricium
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Auricium » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:07 am

Okay, so I fidgeted with my image header, and I don't know if its my screen, but, how do I know if it is being cut off? I don't know what that looks like, and I think someone mentioned it before. Here's my storefront, the IBA
Iɴᴛᴇʀɢᴀʟᴀᴄᴛɪᴄ Eᴍᴘɪʀᴇ ᴏғ Aᴜʀɪᴄɪᴜᴍ
Iᴍᴘᴇʀɪᴀʟ Nᴇᴡs Nᴇᴛᴡᴏʀᴋ: It's Pronounced Aurikium!|I have School, so I really shouldn't be on right now.|Embassy Programme Underway|IBA Open|This is a class A nation: Tier 0, Type VII, Universal Power. Obviously, we don't use NS Stats.  Read my factbooks instead.|Intergalactic Banking Alliances announces new CEO|Founder of the Capitalist League|Observer of the LEAGUE OF MECHANOCRACIES!|Proud Member of The Coalition of Omniversal Dominance.

Bankampar
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bankampar » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:29 am

Maltropia wrote:*shudders convulsively*

Don't spoiler your content, show it off. Instead of hiding them shamefully, find a way to make walls of text flashy and attractive. Clean your storefront up a bit. Play around with different sizes of text for your headings and subheadings. Your text is good and shows a level of commitment to your work that many storefronts lack. Play that up as much as you can by supporting it (not replacing it) with more and better use of images or formatting.

Try making image headers for your various sections. It can be as simple as opening up Paint.net (or any similar programme), removing your white background, adding in some coloured text in a nice font, cropping and uploading that. If you can't do that, you could even toy with using the colour BBcode instead.

My post history will reveal I am very strongly opinionated on this, but I really do think [align=justify] will work wonders on most of your paragraphs. It evens the whole thing out beautifully. I'd give more advice but my internet sucks and I lack the commitment to persevere any further. :p

It's a very solid storefront, and with some touching up could easily have one of the best aesthetics in the industry. It's good to see you getting back into GE&T, too. Good luck. o/

Thanks I definitely agree. I want to show my storefront off and the story behind it, and I think it helps that I have a Table of Contents on the 1st post, but I'll definitely look into that. Thanks! :)

Common Territories
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Common Territories » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:25 am

Maltropia wrote:*shudders convulsively*

Am I the only one to read that first line and look at the flag pic and go: "Well suited sir." I mean I never watched that show, but in general, it feels like it matches in some mysterious way...

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:21 am

Auricium wrote:Okay, so I fidgeted with my image header, and I don't know if its my screen, but, how do I know if it is being cut off? I don't know what that looks like, and I think someone mentioned it before. Here's my storefront, the IBA

It'll be cut off if the monitor/screen being used to view it isn't wide enough (after taking into account sidebars and all that). You just about get away with it on my screen, at 900 pixels, but smaller screens or ones where people are zoomed in by default might not get it properly. Personally, I usually stay between 600 and 800, but it's your call as to whether you think it'll look the same or worse smaller.

Bankampar wrote:Thanks I definitely agree. I want to show my storefront off and the story behind it, and I think it helps that I have a Table of Contents on the 1st post, but I'll definitely look into that. Thanks! :)

You're very welcome. :)

Common Territories wrote:Am I the only one to read that first line and look at the flag pic and go: "Well suited sir." I mean I never watched that show, but in general, it feels like it matches in some mysterious way...

:p I've had it up since a bit before Paradoxia was liberated from raiders. It fit the occasion and it makes me smile every time I see it so I haven't had the heart to take it down.
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Auricium
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Auricium » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:18 am

Thanks!
Iɴᴛᴇʀɢᴀʟᴀᴄᴛɪᴄ Eᴍᴘɪʀᴇ ᴏғ Aᴜʀɪᴄɪᴜᴍ
Iᴍᴘᴇʀɪᴀʟ Nᴇᴡs Nᴇᴛᴡᴏʀᴋ: It's Pronounced Aurikium!|I have School, so I really shouldn't be on right now.|Embassy Programme Underway|IBA Open|This is a class A nation: Tier 0, Type VII, Universal Power. Obviously, we don't use NS Stats.  Read my factbooks instead.|Intergalactic Banking Alliances announces new CEO|Founder of the Capitalist League|Observer of the LEAGUE OF MECHANOCRACIES!|Proud Member of The Coalition of Omniversal Dominance.

The ABEN Organisation
Secretary

Founded: Aug 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The ABEN Organisation » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:37 am

Hello!

The Firestorm Corporation

This is semi open and I do need to add a wider range of pictures, but apart from pictures and details, could you give me some things to improve on?

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:38 am

*List of II Mentors updated*
Last edited by Tippercommon on Wed Oct 09, 1996 10:46 pm, edited 3.1416 times in total.
Looking for a Modern Tech Roleplay Region? Check out Anterra!

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:53 am

The ABEN Organisation wrote:This is semi open and I do need to add a wider range of pictures, but apart from pictures and details, could you give me some things to improve on?

Formatting
  • Would recommend bringing your application closer to the top (possibly near your flag counter) since that is what your customers need to do business with you.
  • On your table of contents, would recommend making the font size you use quite a bit smaller. On your monitor it might line up into two rows evenly, but on my monitor it looks a tad janky. See the table of contents of this thread for an appropriate-ish font size. Same for the headers around the rest of your storefront as well. Instead of a 50-70pt font, perhaps a 35-45pt font?
  • You misspelled "Our Customers"
  • Would recommend making the images you posted for the profiles of your corporate heads smaller. Currently they are 640px wide; would recommend possibly making them like 300-330px wide and possibly making them side by side via floatleft & floatright or align=center. Same with your Headquarters images.
  • I'm a little iffy on the font you used for your headers, but that's just me.
  • Super nitpicky, but would recommend doing floatright on your revenues chart instead of align=center just to condense a bit more.

By the way, on your FireChicken storefront, I would recommend condensing your "Menu" images to 250 pixels each and lining them up side by side with floatleft, floatright, and align=center coding. Would make everything more streamlined.

Overall, I like the idea. With a little work I think you got a successful storefront concept on your hands.
Last edited by Tippercommon on Wed Oct 09, 1996 10:46 pm, edited 3.1416 times in total.
Looking for a Modern Tech Roleplay Region? Check out Anterra!

Western Pacific Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 29, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:38 pm

Hey guys, so a nation called Ganos Lao came up with the idea of Azen Fried Chicken for assistance in a RP, money wise. Should I create Azen Fried Chicken?

Valkiyr
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Valkiyr » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:14 pm

It's your choice bro, if you want to do it then go for it :)

Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:15 pm

I will soon. I just have to wait of Azen Fried Chicken to be revealed.

Valkiyr
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Valkiyr » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:20 pm

Nice. If you need any help with logos, layout etc I am here to help, just give me a TG and tell me what I can do :)

Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:21 pm

Valkiyr wrote:Nice. If you need any help with logos, layout etc I am here to help, just give me a TG and tell me what I can do :)

I definitely could use a bunch of logos lol.
I cannot of into fancy logos.

Valkiyr
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Valkiyr » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:27 pm

Just TG me the details of what you want on it and I can do something :)

Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:30 pm

Valkiyr wrote:Just TG me the details of what you want on it and I can do something :)

Okay!

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:23 pm

Presuming you have permission to make the storefront with that name, there's nothing stopping you from doing it - though if it's only as a gimmick for the sake of one RP, and you don't intend on maintaining it afterward, I'd probably advise against making it.

Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:25 pm

Maltropia wrote:Presuming you have permission to make the storefront with that name, there's nothing stopping you from doing it - though if it's only as a gimmick for the sake of one RP, and you don't intend on maintaining it afterward, I'd probably advise against making it.

It would still be used even after the RP.

New Metropolitan France
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Metropolitan France » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:01 pm

I would like to request a boycott of WPT Port Docks Available posted by Western Pacific Territories. He has copy and pasted my terms and conditions, application, and layout from my own posted thread French Port Holdings International.

Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:03 pm

New Metropolitan France wrote:I would like to request a boycott of WPT Port Docks Available posted by Western Pacific Territories. He has copy and pasted my terms and conditions, application, and layout from my own posted thread French Port Holdings International.

Jeez m8 I've given you credit now and am reworking the app.

Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:07 pm

New Metropolitan France wrote:I would like to request a boycott of WPT Port Docks Available posted by Western Pacific Territories. He has copy and pasted my terms and conditions, application, and layout from my own posted thread French Port Holdings International.

There, the app is edited, plox drop Copyright Dispute

Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:14 pm

Also, the app has been fixed, and that was all I took. I based my terms of yours, but my layout is nothing like yours and the same applies for the terms.

New Metropolitan France
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Metropolitan France » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:40 pm

Western Pacific Territories wrote:

Also, the app has been fixed, and that was all I took. I based my terms of yours, but my layout is nothing like yours and the same applies for the terms.

Thank you for giving me limited credit, however you seem to have copied allot more than my application:

You've changed a few words around and added brackets.

Mine

Name of company/nation:
Goods that will be transported through our facilities:
Do your vessels carry any illegal substances? If yes, then please list:
Do you have any weapons to declare? If so, please list:
Desired port and docks:
Cost:
Do you agree to our Terms and Conditions?

Yours

Name of company/nation:
All goods that will be transported through our facilities:
Do your vessels carry any illegal products? If so, list them:
Do you have any weapons you will be transporting? If so, declare them here:
Desired Docks:
Cost: (Note, each dock is worth around 10 million NSD.)
Do you agree to the above Terms and Conditions?

Terms and Conditions - let's play spot the difference

Mine

French Port Holdings International is a privately-owned and operated firm, and does not represent the Government of New Metropolitan France.
French Port Holdings International does not take responsibility for any damages, injuries, or deaths at our facilities.
All weapons that will be transported through company facilities must be declared in your application.
New Metropolitan French law will be observed at all times. Any applicant found breaching these laws will have their lease agreement terminated immediately.
French Port Holdings International reserves the right to deny any applicant without appeal, and terminate any rental agreement.
If leasing docks in more than one port, please complete one application for each port.
Payment must be transferred within 60 days of your application's acceptance.
There is a maximum of 6 docks per lease applicant. Should any applicant wish to lease more than this, please write a letter to CEO Nicolas Duval.
The company may conduct a search of our leased premises given 24 hours notice.
Any damaged caused to facilities will be billed to your account.
These terms and conditions may be updated at any time by the company. All must be followed for continued use of our facilities. Should you no longer wish to use our services, half of your initial payment will be refunded.

Yours

The Western Pacific Territories is not responsible for any accidents, injuries or deaths in leased sections of the docks.
While weapons are allowed, all weapons being transported to, from or stored in our dockyards must be declared. Any violators will have their lease terminated.
Western Pacific Territories law will always be observed in the docks, even in leased ones. Any violator will have their lease terminated immediately.
The Western Pacific Territories reserves the right to deny any applicant, even without a reason.
The Western Pacific Territories has the right to inspect any leased docks, provided a notice is given 1 day ahead.
All applicants must transfer their payment within 60 days of us accepting them.
If you no longer wish to own leased docks, you will receive half your payment back as a refund.

As for the layouts, I'll let people judge for themselves. However, they are almost exactly the same: Name of thread in increased size, box containing image of port, location, terms and conditions, then app.

So yeah, you copied virtually everything.
Last edited by New Metropolitan France on Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:50 pm

New Metropolitan France wrote:
Western Pacific Territories wrote:Also, the app has been fixed, and that was all I took. I based my terms of yours, but my layout is nothing like yours and the same applies for the terms.

Thank you for giving me limited credit, however you seem to have copied allot more than my application:

Terms and Conditions - let's play spot the difference

Mine

French Port Holdings International is a privately-owned and operated firm, and does not represent the Government of New Metropolitan France.
French Port Holdings International does not take responsibility for any damages, injuries, or deaths at our facilities.
All weapons that will be transported through company facilities must be declared in your application.
New Metropolitan French law will be observed at all times. Any applicant found breaching these laws will have their lease agreement terminated immediately.
French Port Holdings International reserves the right to deny any applicant without appeal, and terminate any rental agreement.
If leasing docks in more than one port, please complete one application for each port.
Payment must be transferred within 60 days of your application's acceptance.
There is a maximum of 6 docks per lease applicant. Should any applicant wish to lease more than this, please write a letter to CEO Nicolas Duval.
The company may conduct a search of our leased premises given 24 hours notice.
Any damaged caused to facilities will be billed to your account.
These terms and conditions may be updated at any time by the company. All must be followed for continued use of our facilities. Should you no longer wish to use our services, half of your initial payment will be refunded.

Yours

The Western Pacific Territories is not responsible for any accidents, injuries or deaths in leased sections of the docks.
While weapons are allowed, all weapons being transported to, from or stored in our dockyards must be declared. Any violators will have their lease terminated.
Western Pacific Territories law will always be observed in the docks, even in leased ones. Any violator will have their lease terminated immediately.
The Western Pacific Territories reserves the right to deny any applicant, even without a reason.
The Western Pacific Territories has the right to inspect any leased docks, provided a notice is given 1 day ahead.
All applicants must transfer their payment within 60 days of us accepting them.
If you no longer wish to own leased docks, you will receive half your payment back as a refund.

As for the layouts, I'll let people judge for themselves. However, they are almost exactly the same: Name of thread in increased size, box containing image of port, location, terms and conditions, then app.

So yeah, you copied virtually everything.

Here's my new changes: Also, I will point out a few things.
The Western Pacific Territories is not responsible for any accidents, injuries or deaths in the docks. (This should be expected. It should.)
While weapons are allowed, all weapons being transported to, from or stored in our dockyards must be declared. Any violators will have their lease terminated. (OOC: Duh.)
Western Pacific Territories law will always be observed in the docks, even in leased ones. (Makes sense.)
The Western Pacific Territories reserves the right to deny any applicant, even without a reason. (You know what I would put here by now.)
The Western Pacific Territories has the right to inspect any leased docks at any time, without warning. (There, you happy?)
All applicants must transfer their payment within 15 days of us accepting them. (See the difference?)
If you no longer wish to own leased docks, simply request us to get rid of your lease. (See above comment.)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Global Economics and Trade