NATION

PASSWORD

Global Economics and Trade Help Desk and Q&A

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Palisede
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Palisede » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:49 pm

I have another question: Is it possible to have a thread that specifically requests storefronts come forward and put forward proposals in exchange for a contract? (as per real life process, known as "request for tender"). Or is that too demanding for them? (or contribute to spam?)

Common Territories
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Common Territories » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:57 pm

Palisede wrote:I have another question: Is it possible to have a thread that specifically requests storefronts come forward and put forward proposals in exchange for a contract? (as per real life process, known as "request for tender"). Or is that too demanding for them? (or contribute to spam?)

Yes. Posters have often ran threads looking for a specific type of item - some for example look for a tank or an assault rifle. So it's not uncommon to do this, and since it's an economic centered RP it should fit nicely here. You have to approach it right though; doing it badly can seem less quality driven or be considered... poor. This thread is a good example of what you should aim for in terms of making a request for tenders.

Stormwrath
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwrath » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:05 pm

Hello again. What kind of things are there in a container shipping company storefront, particularly one with dedicated shipping instead of just selling cargo? I was considering creating an FT shipping storefront and I have already consulted. Should there be information about ship classes, rates offered to applicants, contracts and the like? What about ports of call? Should it be at the discretion of the applicants so ships of my company can unload goods X, Y and Z there? Are there any container shipping company storefronts that I can look at so I can get an idea for how my storefront is going to materialize?

The Nation of Ceneria
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nation of Ceneria » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:32 pm

Stormwrath wrote:Hello again. What kind of things are there in a container shipping company storefront, particularly one with dedicated shipping instead of just selling cargo? I was considering creating an FT shipping storefront and I have already consulted. Should there be information about ship classes, rates offered to applicants, contracts and the like? What about ports of call? Should it be at the discretion of the applicants so ships of my company can unload goods X, Y and Z there? Are there any container shipping company storefronts that I can look at so I can get an idea for how my storefront is going to materialize?

I personally have never seen any storefronts of this type in my time browsing GE&T, but that is no indication of its success. While I personally find this interesting, I'm not sure what sort of appeal it would have to a wider audience.

What I am a little concerned about is how difficult a service like this is to write about. A well-filled-out storefront tends to have lots in information about the products, but your storefront sells shipping. I'm not sure how much can feasibly be written about that without saying the same things over and over again.

Again, I'm not sure how well this will be received, but it's certainly worth a shot in my mind.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:39 pm

It's been a while since I saw a decent shipping storefront. I used to run one, which I'm too tired to find right now (Maltropian Cargo International, if you're committed), and there have been others. I think I would include info on ship classes (and if you need ships, I have another storefront that'll sell them to you) and rates, yes. Ports of call was a stumbling block for me, as I tried to force everything into specific routes that just got messy and likely would have been far from economically viable. Learn from my mistakes. I know I don't. :p
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Pharthan
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pharthan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:24 am

Maltropia wrote:It's been a while since I saw a decent shipping storefront. I used to run one, which I'm too tired to find right now (Maltropian Cargo International, if you're committed), and there have been others. I think I would include info on ship classes (and if you need ships, I have another storefront that'll sell them to you) and rates, yes. Ports of call was a stumbling block for me, as I tried to force everything into specific routes that just got messy and likely would have been far from economically viable. Learn from my mistakes. I know I don't. :p

Maltropian International Cargo
#SearchFunctionIsAwesome
HALCYON ARMS STOREFRONT

"Humanity is a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"Besides, if God didn't want us making glowing fish and insect-resistant corn, the building blocks of life wouldn't be so easy for science to fiddle with." - Dracoria

Why haven't I had anything new in my storefront for so long? This is why. I've been busy.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:40 am

Pharthan wrote:Maltropian International Cargo
#SearchFunctionIsAwesome

#SleepIsBetter

Thanks though.
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Prosorusiya
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Prosorusiya » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:55 pm

Is there interest\room for freight charter airline? I assume that, given the multiversal nature of storefronts, most airlines are in fact charter companies? I used to run a ferry chartering company here, back in the day...

Also, would using turboprop aircraft turn people off? I know most storefront use jets, and I think there was a bush airline once that wound up failing.
AH Ossetia (1921-1989)

10th Anniversary: NS User Since 2012

Common Territories
Senator

Postby Common Territories » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:30 pm

Prosorusiya wrote:Is there interest\room for freight charter airline? I assume that, given the multiversal nature of storefronts, most airlines are in fact charter companies? I used to run a ferry chartering company here, back in the day...

Also, would using turboprop aircraft turn people off? I know most storefront use jets, and I think there was a bush airline once that wound up failing.

If I remember right there have been a few of these kinds of storefronts in recent history. But I don't really see them anymore so your market is open. My only concern is how you can present it and how many customers you could get. As you noted, airlines sorta do this but with larger crowds. I once had someone come to me for help on this exact idea so I'll tell you what I told them.

Make your thread/presentation as best as you can, hunt for clients IC and OOC, and show professionalism in your thread and when interacting. Your largest worry here is customer flow since you can always improve your thread, so take care to find customers. I'd also offer a decent number of services with plenty of perks too.

Prosorusiya
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Prosorusiya » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:39 pm

Thanks, I'll keep that under consideration. I will move in the range of large ex-Soviet airlifters, probably Il-76 or An-22s, if that sounds good. I could also use An-12s, right now my Air Force has four of them at Nalchik. Given the size of my aircraft and the market, should I have less than the dozen or so aircraft the airline how to recomends? I've run a few storefronts in my day, but they always sank to the bottom of the forum and were forgotten and died.
AH Ossetia (1921-1989)

Common Territories
Senator

Postby Common Territories » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:43 pm

Prosorusiya wrote:Thanks, I'll keep that under consideration. I will move in the range of large ex-Soviet airlifters, probably Il-76 or An-22s, if that sounds good. I could also use An-12s, right now my Air Force has four of them at Nalchik. Given the size of my aircraft and the market, should I have less than the dozen or so aircraft the airline how to recomends? I've run a few storefronts in my day, but they always sank to the bottom of the forum and were forgotten and died.

Well I'd focus on describing the luxury your aircraft provide. That is where the importance lies. If you're up for it I also suggest yachts and other ships you could rent for voyages; there are companies in RL who rent a nice ship and crew to rich visitors all the time. But I think the more professional your thread is, the more you keep up with trying to get customers, the better your chances.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:19 am

*cough* He's asking about freight airlines. ;)

It could be interesting to do, and I can certainly see how it would tie in to numerous industries. There's the traditional GE&T airport-airline relationship where you go around applying to airports for landing rights or they come and invite you; and of course there are many industries that ship small or time-sensitive cargoes that need to be rushed off somewhere or other - especially pharmaceuticals and other medical products such as blood, but also things like food or replacement LEGO for that one house set that was missing a few pieces. I will say that it might not be an industry where you can rely purely on customers to come to you, as with military storefronts, but if you can establish some regular relationships with a few companies you'd be onto something.
Last edited by Maltropia on Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prosorusiya
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Prosorusiya » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:01 pm

So, if I've got this right, market demand is generally for smaller package freight rather than heavy lift, and long range operations rather than bush type operations (Wildcat Airways used to do that, but they went out of business). I was thinking of copying ATRAN Airlines of Russia, and having a small fleet of An-12s suplimented by Boeing 737 freighters. I might also copy another airline and do Il-62 freighters instead. Which sound like a better idea? Also, any idea what existing storefronts would be interested in starting a business relationship?
AH Ossetia (1921-1989)

Prosorusiya
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Prosorusiya » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:35 am

Quick question, what should the deciding factor be between wether to use a Tu-134 or a Tu-154 on a flight? I have just started some VIP ops and need to know...
AH Ossetia (1921-1989)

Common Territories
Senator

Postby Common Territories » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:07 am

Prosorusiya wrote:Quick question, what should the deciding factor be between wether to use a Tu-134 or a Tu-154 on a flight? I have just started some VIP ops and need to know...

I imagine the cheapest, roomiest option would be best in terms of selecting an aircraft. Though I think VIP planes matter more on their interior luxury rather then how new or fast they are - you can always modify the interior of an aircraft.

Legatia
Minister

Founded: Nov 30, 2012

Postby Legatia » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:37 pm

I see a lot of standardized designs for airliners- is there an app to use?

Common Territories
Senator

Postby Common Territories » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:59 pm

Legatia wrote:I see a lot of standardized designs for airliners- is there an app to use?

You mean is there a code with a basic design for an airline storefront or is there a basic model they use for their aircraft art?

For the first one im sure people see and build off other's designs if they didn't make up the idea themselves. This is the likely case since there are so many airline based storefronts that im sure resemble a lot of their competition. Though I believe someone did make a code for a basic airline thread a while ago but I don't remember where it is - it may be on this thread up a bit ways.

In terms of art, if that's what you mean, there are a number of art based sites like Juniorgeneral or Shipbucket that may have them. Otherwise I don't really know where they come from other then them being used by players here.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Burger King selling ships and rifles

Postby Yohannes » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:50 am

Hello guys,

I want to open up a fictional Burger chain. Let's call it Burger King. If I copy a real life company... will I be sued? I also want to know if there's a demand for a burger chain that also sell ships to nations, and rifles to junta rebels
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:53 am

Are you parodying stereopyical GE&T posts? :) :clap:
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:54 am

P.S. The above is not meant as an insult - I have a known problem distinguishing comedy from serious material. It extends to movies and TV series too.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:00 am

Okay I am sorry... I was a bit tipsy and I thought '... hey..! Seems like I've struck gold with this brand new, original idea!'

So... since I am new to Global Economics and Trade, I thought some individuals would know if there's demand for... uhmm... you know, stuff like that
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:55 am

Well I mean GE&T - and general science-fiction and adventure-fiction - is full of megacorporations that somehow simultaneously sell hamburgers, guided missiles, children's toys and dubiously short school uniforms.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Liberty and Alderney
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Alderney » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:35 am

Allanea wrote:Well I mean GE&T - and general science-fiction and adventure-fiction - is full of megacorporations that somehow simultaneously sell hamburgers, guided missiles, children's toys and dubiously short school uniforms.

I call it the power of imagination. I honestly would like to see more people venture into the crazy and whimsical a bit more in GE&T, so long as they put proper effort into it (Unlike this idiot right here).
Last edited by Liberty and Alderney on Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
YOUR UBER IS HERE
̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿ ______________________ ̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿
What this nation was like during 2017Spread the web loveBut for real, this is my IC flagMe irl for real this time

Aquatus
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 20, 2016
Ex-Nation

Question

Postby Aquatus » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:56 pm

How to make and edit a map for nationstates?

Aquitayne
Senator

Founded: Jun 24, 2011

Postby Aquitayne » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:13 pm

Aquatus wrote:How to make and edit a map for nationstates?

Download a photo editing program like Paint.net or Photoshop. There's no way to do it through NationStates.
[ Embassy Program | A Collection of Essays | Parliamentary Hansard | Axalon Private Military Company | My iiwiki Page ]
[ W&A: Global Intelligence | Aquitaynian Foreign Legion | Affairs of the Region | Freyport Armory ]

I'm a former N&I RP Mentor, not very active these days but feel free to reach out if I can help with anything!

"When you have power, use it to build people, not constrict them."-Bertrand Russell
"I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends."-Abraham Lincoln

Duderology - The Study of Duder.
16:08 GHawkins I continue to be amazed by Aq's ability to fuck up his own name.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Global Economics and Trade