NATION

PASSWORD

Global Economics and Trade Help Desk and Q&A

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gyllenemark
Envoy

Founded: Jan 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gyllenemark » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:57 am

I've been wanting to make my own designs, something like Tippercommon's to Virana. E.G F-31 Wyvern. But how can I make a good design with GIMP?
- Grand Duke Asjorn Haavenlund I of Gyllenmark.
Allahu Ackbar!

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:45 pm

Gyllenemark wrote:I've been wanting to make my own designs, something like Tippercommon's to Virana. E.G F-31 Wyvern. But how can I make a good design with GIMP?

Took me four years to get to this level.
Last edited by Tippercommon on Wed Oct 09, 1996 10:46 pm, edited 3.1416 times in total.
Looking for a Modern Tech Roleplay Region? Check out Anterra!

Pharthan
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pharthan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:53 am

Gyllenemark wrote:I've been wanting to make my own designs, something like Tippercommon's to Virana. E.G F-31 Wyvern. But how can I make a good design with GIMP?

Patience, pretty much. I started out with a LOT of referencing other designs and real life stuff. One of the big things that will really help you is always trying to add more detail. Not just pieces and components, but shading makes a huge difference. I still haven't gotten down lighting. Once you start adding proper lighting, you can remove some of that annoying detail, too.

Patience, though. Don't expect to whip up something in a few minutes. The best designs take hours, especially if you're new to the program.

Also, reusable parts (aka, copy paste). Especially for ships and whatnot. Very handy.

Tippercommon wrote:Took me four years to get to this level.

It's stuff like this that make all of us "lesser" artists hate you, Tipp.

Or love you. Not sure which.
Last edited by Pharthan on Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
HALCYON ARMS STOREFRONT

"Humanity is a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"Besides, if God didn't want us making glowing fish and insect-resistant corn, the building blocks of life wouldn't be so easy for science to fiddle with." - Dracoria

Why haven't I had anything new in my storefront for so long? This is why. I've been busy.

Stahn
Senator

Founded: May 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:57 am

Tippercommon wrote:

That is amazing. This must be the best line art I have seen on NS. This is on a whole other level.

Common Territories
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Common Territories » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:06 am

Tippercommon wrote:

That's because all you do is WW2 planes you try hard SOB you.

Lol. Seriously though, this is still very excellent shit Tipper - a true testament to what hard work looks like.

Gyllenemark
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Gyllenemark » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:17 am

Tippercommon wrote:

Holy fucking shit. That is the most...most...

*faints*

Cause of death: After viewing the above image, the nation had fainted due to the pure awesomeness in the picture.

Pharthan wrote:

Patience, pretty much. I started out with a LOT of referencing other designs and real life stuff. One of the big things that will really help you is always trying to add more detail. Not just pieces and components, but shading makes a huge difference. I still haven't gotten down lighting. Once you start adding proper lighting, you can remove some of that annoying detail, too.

Patience, though. Don't expect to whip up something in a few minutes. The best designs take hours, especially if you're new to the program.

Also, reusable parts (aka, copy paste). Especially for ships and whatnot. Very handy.

Tippercommon wrote:Took me four years to get to this level.

It's stuff like this that make all of us "lesser" artists hate you, Tipp.

Or love you. Not sure which.

I'll be viewing tuts, but for now use some shitty pictures of JAS-39s, A400Ms and CFA-44 Nosferatus :P I do realize it takes hours. And also, is there GIMP download for Win8?
Allahu Ackbar!

Virana
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:12 pm

Tippercommon now contrast the comments you got in this thread with those on that other forum for the same plane.

Also, I think tipper made a guide on shading and drawing airplanes on GIMP using vector paths. I don't have a link but that might be useful for a lot of you to get accommodated to drawing things on GIMP.

Gyllenemark wrote:I'll be viewing tuts, but for now use some shitty pictures of JAS-39s, A400Ms and CFA-44 Nosferatus :P I do realize it takes hours. And also, is there GIMP download for Win8?

The latest stable version of GIMP 2.8 works fine on Windows 8. Just visit their downloads page to get the program.

(speaking of which, the CFA-44 was heavily based on the PAK FA. unfortunately they didn't put as much unique design into it as they had with previous super fighters. Was a fun plane to use for AC6 though, if a bit overpowered :P [/offtopic])
Last edited by Virana on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
II Mentor specializing in MT and GE&T. If you need help, TG me, visit our thread, or join our IRC channel, #NSMentors on irc.esper.net!

Mentors Hub | Welcome to II | RP Questions | #NSMentors
International Incidents Mentor | IIwiki Administrator

Owner of the United Republic of Emmeria and everything about it

Trowulani Knights
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Trowulani Knights » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:02 pm

Anyone interested to have joint cooperation in field of Bio-engineering?

Gyllenemark
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Gyllenemark » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:14 pm

Virana wrote:Tippercommon now contrast the comments you got in this thread with those on that other forum for the same plane.

Also, I think tipper made a guide on shading and drawing airplanes on GIMP using vector paths. I don't have a link but that might be useful for a lot of you to get accommodated to drawing things on GIMP.

Gyllenemark wrote:I'll be viewing tuts, but for now use some shitty pictures of JAS-39s, A400Ms and CFA-44 Nosferatus :P I do realize it takes hours. And also, is there GIMP download for Win8?

The latest stable version of GIMP 2.8 works fine on Windows 8. Just visit their downloads page to get the program.

(speaking of which, the CFA-44 was heavily based on the PAK FA. unfortunately they didn't put as much unique design into it as they had with previous super fighters. Was a fun plane to use for AC6 though, if a bit overpowered :P [/offtopic])

:P I finished the PSP version when I was young. The Fenrir was pretty good, so was the ADF :p Assault Horizon had better flight. Also, thanks Virana, gonna install.
Allahu Ackbar!

Neo Maharlika
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Maharlika » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:26 am

Good day! I'm new here and I'm sorry if I'm a bit lost. Looking at your posts and all the things situated here is about about role-playing and I haven't gotten a grasp on things. I really want to participate and be productive but I may seem to be dumbfounded. Would any of you guys help me or point me to a place where I can understand these things so that I could help, participate and contribute? Thank you and more power!

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:25 am

Virana wrote:Tippercommon now contrast the comments you got in this thread with those on that other forum for the same plane.

Main difference is those guys get paid to draw shit and I just sit here loading up GIMP when I get bored lol
Last edited by Tippercommon on Wed Oct 09, 1996 10:46 pm, edited 3.1416 times in total.

Huda
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Huda » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:52 am

It's Gyllenemark :P

Alright, so I've installed GIMP 2.8

I'm frickin' intimidated. Help me, call 911.

The Decent Dictator
Civilian

Founded: Feb 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Decent Dictator » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:36 am

Is using international prostitution as an economic resource permitted?

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Lamoni » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:31 am

The Decent Dictator wrote:Is using international prostitution as an economic resource permitted?

You would need to keep everything PG-13 friendly, but other than that... maybe?
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 13, 2012

Postby Neu Engollon » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:09 am

Lamoni wrote:
The Decent Dictator wrote:Is using international prostitution as an economic resource permitted?

You would need to keep everything PG-13 friendly, but other than that... maybe?

If you mean IC-wise, claiming it is as part of your GDP and economic progress, I don't know who's going to really stop you. Unless it's a well regulated trade, though, how would it even be measured as part of your growth?

As far as making such a thing a storefront, pretty sure it's been done by a few folks on here. Even with storefronts going as far as selling sex slaves, and no one seems to have been slapped down yet as far as I can tell, as long as they keep it non-graphic and hold off on descriptions that push the PG-13 boundaries, as Lamoni mentioned.

Personally, I wish this could be one place on the web where we don't have to deal with all that, but if Max allows it, there's not much lil' ol' me and folks like me can do about it. I'll just ignore your Lust-For-Sale storefront as I have all the other similar ones.
TG me with questions if you got some, especially about GE&T or PMCs.
My Factbook
Important Neu Engollian Links.
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Sperland
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sperland » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:43 pm

How deos the trading work?
Soviet Britainnian-Sperlish war (Ceasefire)
The Sperland-Antarcteca war(Treaty)
The Liberation of Andorra (Ceasefire)
The invasion of the Caribean (withdrawn)
War against Anarcho France (Victory)
Second Sperlish-Soviet War (Ceasefire)
The Fifth Sperlish Civil War (Rebel Victory)
The US-Sperlish war (Victory)

Watch this Video
https://youtu.be/NwztaQgv3-Y

We are a dictatorship in disguise! SHH! DON'T TELL ANYONE!

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:15 pm

Neu Engollon wrote:How would it even be measured as part of your growth?

Prostitution would be considered part of the services sector which is 80% of the US's GDP, 70% of Germany's, 80% of the UK's, etc.

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:23 pm

Sperland wrote:How deos the trading work?

1. On the forums: If you want to specifically trade with certain companies from other nations, post in their storefronts. You can buy their products, use the storefront as an avenue to set up more involved bilateral trade which you can put in your factbook, etc. There's no real system to roleplaying here. The majority of roleplay on GE&T are letters/communiques. Here's some guidelines on how not to be an annoying customer.
2. Telegram: If you want to establish a bilateral trade relationship with a specific nation, you can telegram asking them if they would like to export to you and import certain commodities from you. Be cordial.
3. Regional: I like to focus on trade agreements between nations in my own region (primarily because Pardes is closed world). You can telegram your region-mates as I suggested above. I'd suggest having your region set up an IRC channel that you all can use so you can talk about trade and regional politics more efficiently than through the RMB or a TG.

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 13, 2012

Postby Neu Engollon » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:58 am

Tippercommon wrote:
Neu Engollon wrote:How would it even be measured as part of your growth?

Prostitution would be considered part of the services sector which is 80% of the US's GDP, 70% of Germany's, 80% of the UK's, etc.

While the storefront might be regulated for this player in their NS nation, the RL analogy you just made makes no sense. Prostitution, but for one state in the US (Nevada), is not legal and any successful transactions made are not recorded or tracked, so it would be hard to figure out how much of the actual GDP they make up of those nations with it being unregulated commerce. Pretty sure there's no place in the UK where prostitution is legal and in Germany I am not sure, but think it's the same situation. Back to NS, I guess it would depend on whether prostitution was legal in any such player's nation, or if they were considering it black market commerce.
Last edited by Neu Engollon on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
TG me with questions if you got some, especially about GE&T or PMCs.
My Factbook
Important Neu Engollian Links.
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Sperland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sperland » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:40 pm

Tippercommon wrote:
Sperland wrote:How deos the trading work?

1. On the forums: If you want to specifically trade with certain companies from other nations, post in their storefronts. You can buy their products, use the storefront as an avenue to set up more involved bilateral trade which you can put in your factbook, etc. There's no real system to roleplaying here. The majority of roleplay on GE&T are letters/communiques. Here's some guidelines on how not to be an annoying customer.
2. Telegram: If you want to establish a bilateral trade relationship with a specific nation, you can telegram asking them if they would like to export to you and import certain commodities from you. Be cordial.
3. Regional: I like to focus on trade agreements between nations in my own region (primarily because Pardes is closed world). You can telegram your region-mates as I suggested above. I'd suggest having your region set up an IRC channel that you all can use so you can talk about trade and regional politics more efficiently than through the RMB or a TG.

I still don't get it. Do you use a real currency?

Watch this Video

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:10 pm

Sperland wrote:I still don't get it. Do you use a real currency?

Nope. Everything here - and in the rest of the Diplomacy forums - is roleplay.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:16 pm

Remember when you created your nation, and it asked what you wanted to name your currency? That is basically what you are using, though like how the US Dollar is king in RL international trade, NS has the Nationstates Standard Dollar, which your currency is converted into for international trade in NS.

Nations all have a budget for their currency (either based upon an economic calculator, or an RPed budget), and the "funds" for purchases comes from that budget. No real life currency is used for the process (no paying people real life Money). What would constitute a realistic budget for your nation is guided to an extent by what other RPres are willing to accept, and there are plenty of people here who will help you make a realistic budget for your nation, if you want.

Really, it sounds a lot more confusing than it really is.
National Anthem

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Sperland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sperland » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:26 pm

Lamoni wrote:Remember when you created your nation, and it asked what you wanted to name your currency? That is basically what you are using, though like how the US Dollar is king in RL international trade, NS has the Nationstates Standard Dollar, which your currency is converted into for international trade in NS.

Nations all have a budget for their currency (either based upon an economic calculator, or an RPed budget), and the "funds" for purchases comes from that budget. No real life currency is used for the process (no paying people real life Money). What would constitute a realistic budget for your nation is guided to an extent by what other RPres are willing to accept, and there are plenty of people here who will help you make a realistic budget for your nation, if you want.

Really, it sounds a lot more confusing than it really is.

Thanks.

Watch this Video

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:28 pm

You're welcome.
National Anthem

Astholm
Senator

Founded: Jan 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Astholm » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:08 am

One question, about pricing.
If you're selling something, in my case, either cars or commercial vehicles, how should exchange rates and inflation affect prices, so I can achieve a semi-realistic price?

I know a $60,000 car costs £40,267GBP ($1USD = £0.67GBP) but if you add on VAT it becomes £48,320 (40,267 + 20%).

How can I get the prices right?
[spoiler=About Me]Based on the United Kingdom, but enlarged version with alternate history.
On IIWiki
I have multiple puppets here; only a select few are used to represent the continent of Astholm; others used represent Westholme, and do not artificially boost my nation's statistics.Previously i used puppets with nation names that did not identify as Astholm (e.g. Australis Australia; now all new puppets use ASTHLM, NORTHLM, SOUTHLM, WESTHLM (HLM denoting The Holmes.
NOTE: Other uses of Astholm here have a different continuity and refer to work created by the user Astholm, not the nation

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Global Economics and Trade