NATION

PASSWORD

Global Economics and Trade Help Desk and Q&A

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Re: Global Economics and Trade Help Desk and Q&A

Postby Yohannes » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:29 am

Stahn wrote:Thank you for your advice. I make my own models but I am not that into technical details and I don't think my models are the most realistic.

There is no requirement that your models must be 'realistic', each and every one of us prefer our own style of roleplaying. Like Lyras, he roleplay with heavy NationStates Modern Technology designs ('NS MT'), and I myself used to roleplay with that kind of technology too in the past. You can also have the strict real life modern technology (existing already is a must, and not still in development for the future), or perhaps PMT (this one can kinda mix a bit with 'NS MT' as both can be interconnected in terms of claim of how advanced the design is).

Then there is FT/Future Technology or perhaps Dieselpunk, Steampunk, Fantasy, etc. Airships, ponies, elves, magic, etc. you name it ;)

I am roleplaying with ponies as some of my ambassadors, and the Kingdom of Yohannes have multiple airships operating throughout the nation, so I myself would be a mix of MT (not 'NS MT' but strict MT) and some Fantasy elements mixed together (though I don't use the ponies, elves, airships, etc. as a way for me to gain advantage over other nations... I use them merely because I like Final Fantasy IX... and I roleplay with the good nations and writers @Coalition of Pony States nations!)

Stahn wrote:The aren't overpowered or anything but I do enjoy making them a little bit ''alternative'' for lack of a better word. I usually give them specs that are comparable to real vehicles.

Yeah by all mean, there is nothing wrong with that bro haha just do what you feel like doing ultimately, its your design after all :p

Stahn wrote:In fact, I make models for several of my nations. They all are supposed to have their very own style and one of them is even a steampunk nation.

Perhaps I could sell some of the designs for all of my nations in the try-out storefront?

Yeah why not do that? Tbh just go with it, and see how it goes. and Yohannes is a bit steampunk too yay!
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Stahn
Senator

Founded: May 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:33 am

Okay... Well, no reason to put it off any longer. I'll get working on my try-out storefront and just hope for the best. :unsure:

Atlantica
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlantica » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:51 am

To create an excellent military storefront, do you have to design your own products? Or can you just use real-life photos and put them alternative designations and configurations?
Proudly a Member of the International Northwestern Union

MT, PMT: The Greater Eastern Union of Zhenia
FT: The Continuum of Atlantica

zeusdefense.com
kronosinc.com

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lamoni » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:19 am

Atlantica wrote:To create an excellent military storefront, do you have to design your own products? Or can you just use real-life photos and put them alternative designations and configurations?

I've always thought it better to sell original designs, myself.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:01 am

Yeah Lam Lam pretty much got the answer to your question. :p

And also, if you can (although it is understandable that it is not even close to a must have), why not try to lineart/draw your design, instead of taking images from the internet as the primary source of identification for your design. Its fun, and can be challenging (I will confess that I am not good at it myself), but a decently linearted design will easily make its mark over other designs with images grabbed from the internet.

Its also not that hard, you can always use MSPaint, or use free programmes (available for free) such as Gimp and Inkscape
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Novo Wagondia
Minister

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Novo Wagondia » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:37 am

I have a quick question I'd like to run by the professionals, as it's been bothering me lately and I'm just curious about it.

If a nation owning a storefront goes inactive, ceases to exist, and leaves the storefront with no identifiable successor or body to look out after it (and I mean long-term inactivity, like over 6 months on the storefront and over 3 months on the nation itself), is it legal to use the designs from that storefront yourself? Of course the ground rules before vacancy still apply (if, for instance, third parties cannot trade the technologies in question), and credit is given to the late designer, but it would be a shame to let good designs wither away when you can't place an order for them (because, of course, you would never get a response). Is there a way to wire the appropriate funds anyway, in a sort of 'boneyard fund' that will become legal tender if the designer should ever become active again?
Empire of Wagondia
Map
Prime Ministers
Santa Catalina
"Here man's feet rested at night beside the eagle's feet, in the high gory retreats, and at dawn they trod the rarefied mist with feet of thunder and touched lands and stones until they recognized them in the night"

⚔ ♕ Her Austral and Imperial Majesty, Carmen I ♕ ⚔
△▽△
Modern-day realization of Bolívar's efforts to unify Latin America, with a twist of constitutional monarchy and a dash of overseas empire. The United Fruit Company never existed, and Henry Kissinger retired as an accountant. It all started that one summer, back in Panama, 1826...
▽△▽
Demonym: Wagain

Empire of Andrew

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:52 am

I think the most important thing would be the following: whether you have personally asked, whether by way of telegram or IRC, or any other means of communication, to the player in question if he/she would mind for you to, pretty much, copy his/her designs - for use and IC/in-character export - by your nation?''

If you have not contacted the original designer, I honestly wouldn't recommend doing that, for I think the most important thing is that you have acquired the permission from the original designer, so to speak. And also, some individuals - and quite understandable why also - can be rather quite protective of their IC things (whether they be factbook formatting, embassy programme layout, text formatting, civilian or military designs, etc.)

so I wouldn't personally recommend doing that - unless, again, you have acquired their written permission. For one: just to be safe, really. You will never know whether the person in question actually knows a lot of people in the forums, and will lash back at you with force (and his/her friends will also lash back at you to support him/her)

And two, that is not right anyway. You should always make sure that when you do that, you have asked actual permission from the original creator of the content. I know it can be a 'waste', but its simply not right to do that, and people will soon figure out the truth anyway (people tend to come back from my experience, and they usually found out sooner or later)

Don't worry, some individuals have tried to do what you are asking, in the past ;)

And they usually found out it was not a smart idea the hard way, unfortunately

Novo Wagondia
Minister

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Novo Wagondia » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:30 am

Yohannes wrote:I think the most important thing would be the following: whether you have personally asked, whether by way of telegram or IRC, or any other means of communication, to the player in question if he/she would mind for you to, pretty much, copy his/her designs - for use and IC/in-character export - by your nation?''

If you have not contacted the original designer, I honestly wouldn't recommend doing that, for I think the most important thing is that you have acquired the permission from the original designer, so to speak. And also, some individuals - and quite understandable why also - can be rather quite protective of their IC things (whether they be factbook formatting, embassy programme layout, text formatting, civilian or military designs, etc.)

so I wouldn't personally recommend doing that - unless, again, you have acquired their written permission. For one: just to be safe, really. You will never know whether the person in question actually knows a lot of people in the forums, and will lash back at you with force (and his/her friends will also lash back at you to support him/her)

And two, that is not right anyway. You should always make sure that when you do that, you have asked actual permission from the original creator of the content. I know it can be a 'waste', but its simply not right to do that, and people will soon figure out the truth anyway (people tend to come back from my experience, and they usually found out sooner or later)

Don't worry, some individuals have tried to do what you are asking, in the past ;)

And they usually found out it was not a smart idea the hard way, unfortunately

Of course; I wouldn't ever do that without some kind of permission from a moderator or somebody who co-controls the storefront (or, ideally, the storefront owner himself/herself, if they were ever to become active again, so best case scenario I'm able to buy it as I normally would). Thank you for the help; I'll hope they'll be able to rejoin us all on the living side. :p
Empire of Wagondia
Map
Prime Ministers
Santa Catalina
"Here man's feet rested at night beside the eagle's feet, in the high gory retreats, and at dawn they trod the rarefied mist with feet of thunder and touched lands and stones until they recognized them in the night"

⚔ ♕ Her Austral and Imperial Majesty, Carmen I ♕ ⚔
△▽△
Modern-day realization of Bolívar's efforts to unify Latin America, with a twist of constitutional monarchy and a dash of overseas empire. The United Fruit Company never existed, and Henry Kissinger retired as an accountant. It all started that one summer, back in Panama, 1826...
▽△▽
Demonym: Wagain

Empire of Andrew

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:52 am

Yeah hehe :p

Common Territories
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2011

Postby Common Territories » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:24 am

Novo Wagondia wrote:I have a quick question I'd like to run by the professionals, as it's been bothering me lately and I'm just curious about it.

If a nation owning a storefront goes inactive, ceases to exist, and leaves the storefront with no identifiable successor or body to look out after it (and I mean long-term inactivity, like over 6 months on the storefront and over 3 months on the nation itself), is it legal to use the designs from that storefront yourself? Of course the ground rules before vacancy still apply (if, for instance, third parties cannot trade the technologies in question), and credit is given to the late designer, but it would be a shame to let good designs wither away when you can't place an order for them (because, of course, you would never get a response). Is there a way to wire the appropriate funds anyway, in a sort of 'boneyard fund' that will become legal tender if the designer should ever become active again?

I have actually ran into this issue in the past with a subsidiary company operated by a friend went inactive. Someone decided to take literally everything and rename everything; including products I actually owned that were purchased through me to my friend. A mod report later and it was explained that no matter how inactive the person goes, you cannot use their work as your own or you will face punishment; in my case, the guy who stole from me and my friend got in trouble for taking my products and my friend's storefront.

So in essence: I would not do it or you could face moderation intervention.

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 13, 2012

Postby Neu Engollon » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:43 am

Common Territories wrote:
Novo Wagondia wrote:I have a quick question I'd like to run by the professionals, as it's been bothering me lately and I'm just curious about it.

I have actually ran into this issue in the past with a subsidiary company operated by a friend went inactive. Someone decided to take literally everything and rename everything; including products I actually owned that were purchased through me to my friend. A mod report later and it was explained that no matter how inactive the person goes, you cannot use their work as your own or you will face punishment; in my case, the guy who stole from me and my friend got in trouble for taking my products and my friend's storefront.

So in essence: I would not do it or you could face moderation intervention.

^^^This. Just do your own thing. No one on NS has a trademark on general concepts of military or civilian technology. If you think about it long enough, you should be able to come up with your own version, add your own details, and make it unique. If you are not able to put your unique twist on something, it's best left alone. There's just no call for plagiarizing, no matter if they are still here or not. Often times, too, old players return at a later time, sometimes with a newer nation, but can still lay claim to their old storefronts. Like Common Territories, I have been plagiarized more than once, and it is not a good feeling, let me tell you.
TG me with questions if you got some, especially about GE&T or PMCs.
My Factbook
Important Neu Engollian Links.
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Southern Qing
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Southern Qing » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:29 pm

How can I make a storefront logo using Paint.NET? I am having technical issues with my computer so I cannot download anything.
I am also planning on making a company that makes household and hygienic products such as soap, toothpastes, shampoos and detergents
Last edited by Southern Qing on Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:08 pm

Southern Qing wrote:How can I make a storefront logo using Paint.NET? I am having technical issues with my computer so I cannot download anything.
I am also planning on making a company that makes household and hygienic products such as soap, toothpastes, shampoos and detergents

The player behind Tippercommon is the resident logo designer of GE&T. I would recommend for you to telegram him, as I am sure he will be more than happy to offer his recommendation/suggestion hehe

Edit: The real life player behind Tippercommon told me off because he dislike people telegramming him :<

Go to the following Internet Relay Chat (IRC) channel, if you want to ask his advice, as this IRC channel is where you can find Tippercommon usually: http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server ... =%23Pardes

Click the above link
Last edited by Yohannes on Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emmerian Republic
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Emmerian Republic » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:41 pm

How do I make a storefront for PMCs and how to create your own logos and designs for the storefront.
The Union of the Emmerian Republic

DEFCON LVL

5 [4] 3 2 1

Active Emmerian military personnel: 10,421,707

Common Territories
Senator

Postby Common Territories » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:53 pm

Emmerian Republic wrote:How do I make a storefront for PMCs and how to create your own logos and designs for the storefront.

Im not sure what you're asking with that first question so I will wait for clarification on that. But as the owner of the largest PMC business on NS, I can help you with some tips and suggestions if that's what you're looking for.

As for the second, you can use program like GIMP or Paint.net to make logos. This guide should help a ton on that. Though you can also find help from someone on making such pictures too.

Emmerian Republic
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Emmerian Republic » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:54 pm

Emmerian Republic wrote:How do I make a storefront for PMCs and how to create your own logos and designs for the storefront.

Im not sure what you're asking with that first question so I will wait for clarification on that. But as the owner of the largest PMC business on NS, I can help you with some tips and suggestions if that's what you're looking for.

As for the second, you can use program like GIMP or Paint.net to make logos. This guide should help a ton on that. Though you can also find help from someone on making such pictures too.

What do i need to know about creating a PMC storefornt,
The Union of the Emmerian Republic

DEFCON LVL

5 [4] 3 2 1

Active Emmerian military personnel: 10,421,707

Common Territories
Senator

Postby Common Territories » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:50 am

Emmerian Republic wrote:

What do i need to know about creating a PMC storefornt,

Ahh.

Well the basics I have found is making your product, your men, stand out as elite warriors that can be more useful then your potential customer's own military forces. The issue here is the PMC's are not a hot market because people can simply make up troops as they like. So you either have to have a good eye catcher or be able to make people want you to fight for them. In many cases, people detailed how good their men are and what they can do; they further described their training, equipment, and proficiency at their job. Others would even RP for their units.

But I came to my size primarily because of hard work. It took time, experimenting, hours of work on product and versatility, and pure unadulterated drive to make it in the business. Here are some tips I think you can use:

1: Troop bio page.
People want to know what they're buying no matter what. If your an arms dealer, they want to know the weapon and the specs to go with it. If your a PMC then they want to know how good your forces are, how well trained they are, and what equipment they use. So describing and showing how good these forces are is very important. This can also mean showing how good your storefront/PMC is; by basically making a clean and efficient looking storefront, you can attract customers to at least look at what you offer. Be sure not to wank the specs but make your men look like the best people can hire. Just avoid the wank, making false claims, and making your boys look good.

2: Please your customer.
Any businessman will tell you that the customer is everything here. My success, as reported to me by customers and reviews, is partially due to me being very loyal to my customers. I do what I can to please them and make sure they enjoy their time finding what they need. A happy customer is more likely to flaunt your PMC and come back for more services. But this tip can mean many things, from offering better ease on your storefront to having generous discounts.

3: Have a Niche.
We all can't be that fictional PMC that is stronger then some countries, like in Hawks or something. I got my strength through years of hardship and hours of hardwork, but not everyone wants or gets that. Some PMC's focus on smaller operations using elite teams to do jobs while others focus on the naval front of PMC services. You gotta find what you want to do and make it look as good as possible, or, adapt to what people are looking for.

4. Make the storefront easy and detailed.
A clean storefront is a must. The PMC business requires a lot of info usually so finding a way to make information eye catching and short is nearly impossible. Some people hate to read all the info and some do. So I found that offering both is the best strategy. Put plenty of detail in your operation but have sections describe what the person who doesn't want to wait/learn to do to skip all the boring stuff. Your storefront should look clean yet full of info concerning your PMC and its soldiers.

These are just some hints, as they are kinda garbled since im tired (it's late here). But TG me or visit here and these people would be happy to also assist you in your efforts to establish a PMC business. You can also continue to ask questions here if you'd like and others can help too.

Khoor
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Khoor » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:42 pm

I have a question. How do people make the pretty logos for their companies?
The Sultanate of Khoor
Roleplay Thread: Mhukanomics - Khoor Joining the Global Economy

Common Territories
Senator

Postby Common Territories » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:00 pm

Logos are usually made through using a drawing program, such as MS Paint or Paint.net. They use pictures and other art combined with their own works to come out with a piece to use. Or some all do it from scratch. Here is a link that may also help to answer your question.

Mizialand
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 17, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Mizialand » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:11 pm

Khoor wrote:I have a question. How do people make the pretty logos for their companies?

Honestly I think GIMP, a free photo manipulation programme will be the best for such jobs. You can also visit this guide to help you with the basics of image designing.
╔══════════════════════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ═════════════════════════════════╗
Mizialand Embassy Programmel Our Factbookl MiziaNews.mzl 10 Years on NS!l
Member of Astyria
Proud Monarch of the ♔♚IMPERION COALITION♚♔
╚══════════════════════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ═════════════════════════════════╝

Common Territories
Senator

Postby Common Territories » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:49 pm

Hey everyone. I was looking for some input on my storefront. I get views and I did a lot of work into each product, but im worried about how slow sales are. So any tips on getting customers walking in or tips in general you want to throw out is very much appreciated.

Wolf Armaments

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:55 pm

It looks like your storefront is okay (though the number of packages might be a tad excessive). Maybe if there were some RPs where your stuff played a prominent role.

Also, you need to get out there and advertise your stuff. People are simply too lazy to look for stuff on GE&T by themselves, of late, and therefore there is a plethora of "I want x, y, and z" threads on GE&T.
National Anthem

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Common Territories
Senator

Postby Common Territories » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:07 pm

Lamoni wrote:It looks like your storefront is okay (though the number of packages might be a tad excessive). Maybe if there were some RPs where your stuff played a prominent role.

Also, you need to get out there and advertise your stuff. People are simply too lazy to look for stuff on GE&T by themselves, of late, and therefore there is a plethora of "I want x, y, and z" threads on GE&T.

Will do Lam Chops. Thanks for the advice.

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:50 pm

You're welcome.
National Anthem

Astholm
Senator

Founded: Jan 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Astholm » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:58 am

I've given my nation a reboot, so all past RPs on here are now no longer within the new canon of Astholm.
Anyway, how could I improve my new storefront?
[spoiler=About Me]Based on the United Kingdom, but enlarged version with alternate history.
On IIWiki
I have multiple puppets here; only a select few are used to represent the continent of Astholm; others used represent Westholme, and do not artificially boost my nation's statistics.Previously i used puppets with nation names that did not identify as Astholm (e.g. Australis Australia; now all new puppets use ASTHLM, NORTHLM, SOUTHLM, WESTHLM (HLM denoting The Holmes.
NOTE: Other uses of Astholm here have a different continuity and refer to work created by the user Astholm, not the nation

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Global Economics and Trade