NATION

PASSWORD

All Quiet on the Beigang Straits (Aeia)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Canton Territories
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

All Quiet on the Beigang Straits (Aeia)

Postby Canton Territories » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:51 am

Imperial Palace
Tianjing- Heavenly City

"My Lord, as directed, we have searched for and obtained the wanted documents from the Terncan company operating in the Baoshan. It seems as though they have managed to come into possession of various pieces of new technology with which valuable resources, particularly coal and oil, can be detected."

The regional police commissioner paused.

"They predict oil and coal fields of up to 3 billion barrels and 8 million tonnes respectively, as well as extensive gold and mineral reserves, though they are still conducting reconnaissance over the area to determine how much of it could be feasibly extracted."

The Foreign Minister, who went by the name of Pu Ting En shot him a question. "How did you obtain the documents?"

"As instructed, we were to conduct surveillance and permit cross-border activity between the various undeclared Terncan citizens. Enquiries by the local administration came to nothing. Therefore, one night we closed the border and visited the company headquarters. As they refused to comply to an inspection, we had them arrested and upon searching we came upon this treasure trove."

Minister Pu Ting En nodded. Bowing to the Emperor, who as usual remained silent until it came to making a decision, he said, "My Lord, this is a matter of grave concern. I have spent the past weeks monitoring Terncan diplomatic activity and our agents in Ternca have provided us with good information. It does not bode well. As it looks, Ternca might look to use military threat to coerce us into giving them privileged operating rights in the Empire, or invade outright. The raid on the Terncan resource exploration company which is operating in the Baoshan on a small scale- as of now- and on basis of mutual agreement, will drive them to vexation when they hear of it. The Terncans have already been apprehensive at our outstretch toward foreign powers and they feel that our rapid modernization is threatening them."

"Minister Pu, it is not us that are threatening them!" The voice of Interior Minister Ta Ken Ou rang out. "The slavic dogs have been incessantly spreading their toxic beliefs in our country, and it is spreading like the plague! That is why we have been deliberating on cutting ourselves off from them, but they heed not our demands to pull their missionaries out."

Minister of War Wai Shi Ting said, "The Treaty of Jindao of 1560 has led to two hundred years of peace between Ternca and Chen. It set out the boundaries of our realms: along the Baoshan river, and Chen would possess Jindao Island, but would offer no restrictions to Terncan trade through its port. Since then, however, many regimes have taken power on either side, and it would be easy for Ternca to nullify the Treaty. Us cutting off trade could be seen as act of war, as it breaks the Treaty. Most of the Baoshan lies under our control; the question is, is it worth fighting a war over?"

Minister of Economy Wan Mo Ni said, "I have studied the documents. In addition to the resources on our side, their side has extensive fields too, particularly in the western Baoshan area under their control. Even if only half of it can be extracted, it would provide the stimulus and basis for an industrial miracle, one that we really need if we are to compete with the rest of the world."

"Minister Wai, are we capable of fighting a war with Ternca? What are your suggestions?" Minister Pu said.

War Minister Wai said, "A war in the Baoshan would be significantly in our favor. Our foreign friends have provided us with incredible new weapons which are starting to be mass-produced here in Chen, as well as imported from their old stocks at discount prices. The Baoshan provides us with excellent defensive terrain if Ternca is to invade; an offensive executed by our side would however predominantly focus on using our superior numbers. I must warn, nevertheless, that this may entail a war of attrition, which we will win, but which may ruin our country as well as theirs and open us to exploitation by the foreigners. My proposal is to partly mobilise the Wuding Field Army and move an Imperial Corps to the Baoshan; if the Tercans want war, we will give them war, but we will not start it. Meanwhile, we will look to carefully access the resource exploration and extraction equipment that Ternca has as its disposal so we will be able to make use of our treasure lands."

Minister Wai knew how to phrase his proposals to get the Emperor to agree, and sure enough, when it came to it, Emperor Hu of Chen gave his plans green light.

Chen Military ORBAT

OOC:
- I'm OP; Ternca is Co-OP
- Time is late 1800s, we probably should not fix exact dates just yet
- Tech is round about WW1

Provided by Midrasia:
Last edited by Canton Territories on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

Canton Territories
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Canton Territories » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:45 am

Longcun
Chen Empire

Major Fu Kin Ni whistled to himself as he walked through the town, heading toward the II Imperial Corps Headquarters which had established itself in the town council building. He preferred the fresh mountain air and green landscape to the urban sprawl of Tianjin, the capital, where the Imperial Army was concentrated, meant to protect the Emperor. On the way, he passed by the local garrison base where a soldier, stripped naked, was receiving some serious flogging while others looked on, an officer screaming at the punished. Probably tried to evade the draft, or something lighter, typical of the peasantry. Lazy bastards. But the Chen military knew how to pull them in line. The officers were almost exclusively of the noble and wealthy elite, and centuries of feudal domination ensured that the peasants knew their place in society.

Conscription was not new either, before it was levies, now mandatory national service. Nevertheless changes were taking place and were seriously worrying the Emperor. Revolutionary ideals, originating far and wide, were somehow slipping into the country. An urban middle class was forming, increasingly educated. Foreign trade, particularly from Ternca, came often accompanied by preachers promoting some heretic ideas, and the dumb farmers were particularly vulnerable to fall for such evil temptations, especially when they came with promises of rewards and status and whatnot.

When Major Fu arrived, the other officers had already assembled. The II Corps operations commander was discussing his plans for the defence of the region.

"...Minister Wai has ordered a partial mobilisation of the Wuding Field Army, with the VIII Field Corps specifically in mind. However, we have advised and received permission to mobilise the IX Corps as well as place X Corps on alert and prioritise their equipment transfers." the Wuding Field Army commander said.

"Is one Imperial Corps not enough?"

"Considering that we, unlike much of the world, have few railways, it will take weeks to move the entire II Corps into the theatre, just as it will take weeks, if not months, to mobilise, assemble and move entire Field Armys to the Baoshan in case of a war, by which time the Terncans may hace crossed the Grand Canal." the Wuding commander said.

"Very well, that will give us the manpower to man the border fortifications along the Baoshan river."

"The fortifications are outdated and near obsolete; they are mere strongpoints against an enemy with artillery, or so our foreign advisors have told us. In wanting to seek peace with Ternca, the Empire has neglected its northern defences."

"We will have to make the most out of them, as well as immediately commence building. Regardless, we have devised a plan to make full use of the Baoshan river, which the Terncans will have to cross, and vice versa, we will need to train the Wuding Army on river crossings in case we are to make an advance, which may be ordered. The Imperial Corps is capable of conducting such operations, though I'm afraid that is out of the scope of the Field Armies." The XO of the Imperial Corps jabbed at the map.

"Our preliminary positions will be the VIII Corps at the central and western Baoshan area, the IX Corps at Longcun, the Imperial Corps east toward the coast, watching Beimen, the gateway to the Chen coast. Work on our logistics situation has begun, with focus on assembling an army of horses and mules as well as improving the roads as best we can. Being able to supply our troops with ammunition will be the key to victory."

It was still a skeleton staff in the headquarters, with some units not even having commenced their transfer to the north. However, they were doing all they can to prepare; the fate of Chen may lie in their hands, after all.

Midrasia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Midrasia » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:38 am

Public Assembly
Lotrič - Midrasia

"Order, order!" Boomed the speaker of the Assembly. The debate was getting out of hand, it was clear the house was divided on the nations far eastern policy. "The honourable gentleman as a member of this assembly has a right to ask his question. Mr.Foiroit!"
"Thank you Mr Speaker. Does the Prime minister agree that it is the interest of the Midrasian nation to curtail the influence of the expansionist Tsardom in the east? The threat of Terncan hegemony not only threatens Midrasian interests, but those of all Asuran nations, and as such should Midrasia not teach a lesson to this hegemon?"
"Here here" shouted several more patriotic members of the bench, several other members shook their head in disgust of the very notion of a long drawn out war in the east.
"Although I do not always agree with Mr.Foiroit, as I'm certain many of you in this assembly may remember..." The assembly began to burst into voluptuous laughter. The memory of the many squabbles between de Sagarde and Foiroit, including one particular aggressive encounter had left their mark. de Sagarde knew how to play the crowd however, his collegues would call him 'the great amuser' for his many jibes during parliamentary sessions. "...Although I don't always agree with the gentlement, he is right to an extent. The threat of an expansionist Ternca does post a threat to Asuran interests in the East. Our investment within the Chen markets, along with our eastern holdings may very well be threatened by this new expansionist power. However were i disagree is the notion of war. Direct intervention against Ternca could lead to a very unstable international political situation. Instead I believe it is to the Chen dynasty to maintain their holdings in the east. My predecessor went to great lengths to build ties between our nation and the Great Chen. Midrasian military advisers were a key component to the modernisation of the Chen armies, and many of them remain within the borders of the Empire, training Imperial recruits. Furthermore, I am certain the Empire of the East will continue to rely on Midrasian armaments and trade. The factories of the Legation Quarters and Treaty Ports not only provide great benefit to our own economies, but they play a vital role in the westernisation of the Orient." Following the conclusion of Prime minister de Sagarde's speech, the Speaker signalled for an end to the session.
"There shall be no more questions for the Prime minister on this day, the session is dismissed."

With the session over de Sagarde retired to his quarters. He was a noble man of aristocratic background, primarily concerned with maintaining the colonial Empire Midrasia had worked so hard on securing. Despite this, recent political developments had forced a shift in party policy. The rise of challenges to Midrasian hegemony both in Asura and abroad had forced the party to engage in much greater populist rhetoric, and aim for a new general program of rearmament. The idea of greater Terncan influence in the east could undermine these reforms, make Midrasia look weak and unprepared for general war. Something would have to be done.

Despite this, Midrasia was not alone in its concerns with Terncan expansion. A considerable host of other Asuran nations had influence and holdings within the East, it was unlikely that they would stand idle in the face of eastern expansion. But who to coordinate with? tir Lhaeraidd was becoming increasingly isolationist, but surely they would seek to defend their own trade interest? The Aquidish, they held Mayawi, surely they would seek to secure the territory, but they were preoccupied with a rebellion in Arabekh. Rosskaya had recently signed a non-aggression pact with Ternca. Veleaz and Oserland, the hated enemy, they could never sign such an agreement with Midrasia. But Newrey, Newrey of course! They held the island of Burmondsy, plus de Sagarde and Alcott had got on swimmingly at the recent Pan-Asuran Congress. Without hesitation, the Prime minister took out a roll of paper and a pen, a personal letter to Alcott would surely raise concern about the recent eastern developments.

The Kingdom of Midrasia
Reialme de Mydrazia

Dear Prime Minister,

I am writing to you about the recent developments within the Orient and the current belligerent rhetoric with which the Tsardom of the East speaks. Im a certain you understand what I speak of. Im am sure it is within the interests of both our nations to maintain the stability of the Great Chen, not only to protect the holdings and investments which our mutual nations make within the region, but also to prevent the future expansion of the Tsardom itself.

I am sure you recall our recent interactions at the Pan-Asuran summit last year. It was through the cooperation of our great nations that we were able to prevent the passage of the Naval Enforcement Act. Can I say I found your attitude toward future cooperation most appealing. Although at the time I was not interested in such an arrangement, I believe the time may have come to focus both our nations attention to the situation in the East. Although at the moment i write to you, our legislature is divided on the issue of intervention, I watch this situation with great concern, and should push-come-to-shove, I am certain intervention will be necessary. As we speak the Fourth fleet will redeploy to our port in Tunming. I only ask that you maintain the same vigilance with which I watch this situation, and that should intervention be necessary, that the combined forces of Newrey and Midrasia will stand against the expansion of the Eastern Tsardom.

Yours Sincerely,
Raymonde de Sagarde, Prime minister of Midrasia.

Last edited by Midrasia on Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Republique de Mydrazia
IIWiki
Charles Vauban - IIWiki featured article (October 2017)
Pere Clar - IIWiki featured article (September 2019)

Newrey
Envoy

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Newrey » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:06 am

Cyningburgh, Newrey

First Admiral Gary Alcott was not as old as his title made him out to be. His skin was still to sag or wrinkle, his hair yet to gray or fall out and the spring in his step was yet to go away. His youthful face was the ire of all the others his age, verging on later end of fifty, and his near never ending enthusiasm and strong sense of political shrewdness had led to his appointment as Prime Minister of Newrey, having secure support from promises of enhanced lower class conditions and the radical notion of mandatory education for all children. He had also won support from the military elites due to his promises to expand the size of the Fifelmight, and the consruction of a ship that was destined to change naval warfare forever.

With the expansion of the Newreyan Empire, Alcott's job became even more difficult and busy, dashing too and fro the newest additions and Newrey's allies. He also had to ensure that the fragility of the Balance of Power in Asura remained stable. Despite his work, he couldn't see an end to the rise of Veleaz as a threat, with the nation acting more and more erratically was irritating the older nations of Asura. For the time being, however, no war had broken out. The same could not be said on the opposite side of the world in the East. From reports he'd read, war was brewing between the Tsardom of Ternca and the Chen Empire. While relations between the Chen and Newrey were cordial at best, relations with the Tsardom could be considered a failure of diplomacy.

The recently seized island of Burmondsy had led to an incredible amount of disdain for the two countries, with the Tsardom living under the belief that they controlled the East, viewing the expanding Asuran powers as threats to their assumed dominance. It had become a fun game in the Newreyan government to consistently visit Burmondsy to show it off, and immediately following its capture construction began on a shipyard and port of titanic size, the destined home of the Grand Green Ocean Fleet. Of course, there was still an issue with dealing with the Tsar and that was its sheer size. Fighting it along would be suicidal, even if they assisted the Chen Empire it would be difficult. They would need assistance from another dominant and cooperative power in Asura.

Oserland was out of the question. The recent war between the two had led to bad blood and neither side willing to concede or apologise. Cooperating with Lhedwin was also ridiculous. They were in the midst of a political battle for control of the Channel and, in Alcotts eyes, it would be akin to falling on ones sword to work with them. That left only Midrasia, their southern neighbour. While their occupation of Newrey following the Partition had left some grudges, Alcott found the current Prime Minister, Raymonde de Sagarde, a rather agreeable chap, having met him during the Pan-Asuran Congress and had led to the successful blocking of the Naval Enforcement Act.

A knock at the door took him away from his thoughts; "Come in" he ordered

"A letter, Sir" the aide said, stepping inside "From the Midrasian Prime Minister himself" he added, handing the letter to him.

"Thank you, now please leave me" Alcott responded, taking the letter. The aide began to leave the room, offering a bow before stepping outside of the door. Alcott gently opened the letter and began reading, a smile began to spread across his face. The odds of the two men thinking about the same situation was incredible, made even better that they were both considering intervention. Without hesitation, Alcotts began to write a reply;

The Kingdom of Newrey

Dear Prime Minister,

I must report my suprise at receiving you letter, as I was already considering the actions that the Newreyan Empire would take in response to the rise of hostilities in the Orient. The containment of the Tsardom is indeed a priority within our nation, and holding up and bolstering the Great Chen is the only forsseable option that can result in success, stopping short of an invasion of Ternca Proper.

I also fondly remember the Pan-Asuran Summit and our cooperation there, which is hopefully a sign of changing attitudes between our nations following the less than sweet taste of the Occupation. I, as is my government, hold the belief that cooperating with a nation so close to us against such a threat to our interests and to uphold the fragile balance of powers in the Orient. As for your Fourth Fleet, I would invite them into the Grand Harbour at Burmondsy as would I invite either yourself or your admiralty to inspect a weapon that we believe will continue dominance in all forms of warfare, as well as render any other weapon in its class obsolete. I do hope you will consider my proposal.

Yours Sincerely,
First Admiral Gary Alcott, Prime minister of Newrey.

Tir Lhaeraidd
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tir Lhaeraidd » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:10 pm

Terncow, Ternca
The Gyrnol sat in his tent with the staff officers around him; twenty years this man had served with the Royal Army in tir Lhaeraidd and he'd seen plenty of action as a colonial officer, protecting the Teyrnas' trade interests. Now he was an old man, forced into retirement from the Army by his superiors and turned mercenary; it wasn't uncommon, tir Lhaeraidd's laws on mercenaries were liberal to say the least, so long as a man signed a document swearing that he would not fight against the Teyrnas and paid tax on his incomes he could fight for whomever he liked. Neuaddduwiau was a fertile recruiting ground, only a handful of permanent mercenary companies existed in tir Lhaeraidd, the profits to be made were high but likewise the length of downtime could be economically crippling. For his part the Gyrnol had not signed on with such a company, instead he had been approached by a Terncan diplomat and been commissioned to raise a regiment to serve Ternca; he did not know who he would be fighting, and he did not care, but he knew that there would be fighting soon. No great power wasted coin on mercenaries when there was no prospect of conflict.

From what he had surmised the Terncan Tsar had hired some 20,000 Lhaeraidh mercenaries thus far, a small number in the grand scheme of things, but if the rumour mill could be trusted he would be hiring more in due course. Lhaeraidh mercenaries were regarded as the finest in all the world, national service meant that from the ages of 16 to 18 all young men were required to undergo military training and serve in the reserves, and for the enlisted men they were usually mustered out by the time they reached thirty unless they showed promise. This meant that there was no shortage of trained soldiers to be had, and many young men chose the mercenary life to get a taste of adventure. From the Tsar's point of view they no doubt represented 'free' manpower, that is to say soldiers who could be maintained long term in exchange for coin, manpower that would not sap his labour force. The graveyard of empire was littered with times when a great monarch had called too many men to fight, not leaving enough behind to tend the fields or work in the factories. Lhaeraidh mercenaries could fight and die in their thousands and all it would cost the Tsar was coin, not a starving populace, nor a ruined economy; and if the Tsar lacked enough coin, well Lhaeraidh banks were always happy to lend, especially when so much of that money made its way back to tir Lhaeraidd in the pockets of those mercenaries who survived.

The Gyrnol had been commissioned to raise a regiment of one thousand men, and see them trained and equipped, the Tsar, or rather his ministers, had arranged for their transportation to their present encampment outside Terncow where they idled and trained. Of his one thousand men the Gyrnol had one hundred cavalry, a battery of gatling guns, which he greatly mistrusted, and one hundred artillerymen manning twenty guns. The rest were infantrymen, armed with a rifle and bayonet, a dirk and a revolver. Better armed than most soldiers under the Tsar's command. The regiment's food expenses were covered, the rest they had had to pay for themselves; or rather the Gyrnol had. That had required that he take out a hefty loan from a Lhaeraidh bank himself, but his contract ensured that debt would be paid upon the end of his commission, provided that he kept up his side of the bargain.

"What is the state of our infantry companies?" The Gyrnol looked to his senior training officers. "Are they up to standard?"

"Maybe one in twenty will make a marksman syr, the rest are passable shots as can be expected from men who've only seen national service in the reserves. We have a few 'veterans' from the Army who show some real promise, but really if I still served the Teyrn I'd not call them fit to parade in front of him." The reply came from Huwch-Gapten Hekwyn mab Gawain, a salted former drill instructor who'd lived long enough to see honest retirement, and to get thoroughly bored of it. "Still, I'd say they're better than most of the regulars under the Tsar's command; give me another month to crack the whip and they'll be as fine a body of men as you could ask for."

"Very good. Kwyryg have you got those infernal 'Gatling' guns working yet?"

"Of course syr and I am impressed; it would seem young Brien's insistence that we spend the Tsar's coin on them was well placed. As advertised one can lay down the fire of twenty men at once. Our trouble is supplying sufficient ammunition to them, since they eat up so much so quickly." The Quartermaster Kwyryg looked over the papers in front of him and frowned. "Not mobile enough to keep up with the men, or the cavalry though. We should probably deploy them with the artillery."
Teyrnas tir Lhaeraidd
Aeia's Resident Grump
Líadáin Síomha - IIWiki Featured Article

Ternca
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ternca » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:58 am

-DELETED-
Last edited by Ternca on Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tir Lhaeraidd
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tir Lhaeraidd » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:53 pm

Terncow, Ternca
"Gyrnol we have our orders. They were just received by courier and I came straight here." The Gyrnol looked at the Huwch-Ringyll and held out his hand to take the neatly bound packet of papers which were tied with ribbon and sealed with wax. Breaking the seal he read through the and grunted as he realised what it meant. The Tsar had ordered the invasion and his Black Regiment were to be part of the vanguard, the first across the border to harass the enemy and carry out raids on border towns and villages. It was butchers work but the Gyrnol had no scruples about it; these Terncans were only half civilised themselves, and while the Chen had a little more culture about them they were still little better, he had no pangs of conscience over what was to come. Peasants would be slaughtered, homes and farms would be torched, and towns sacked, that was war out here. The Tsar would likely keep his own soldiers back to fight the real battles, which would allow him to claim that any 'atrocities' committed were the acts of overzealous mercenary captains; politically it was a smart move, it also meant that he kept his mercenaries sweet since the opportunity for plunder and spoils was greatest when raiding.

"Pass the word around, we're moving out. We're to raid across the western border and make our way to Jifang. Unless the Chen manage to bring a large force against us we may even be able to sack the city. Seems he's put me in command of four other mercenary regiments; the Morraghs among them."

"Aye syr, I'll see it done. Full battle order."
Teyrnas tir Lhaeraidd
Aeia's Resident Grump
Líadáin Síomha - IIWiki Featured Article

Canton Territories
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Canton Territories » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:48 am

Wuding
Chen Empire

“Minister Wai, what exactly is it that we are doing?” Field Marshal Kuok Suok’er, commander of the IV Imperial Corps said. “I know, I know, we are preparing against a possible Terncan invasion. On paper, we are to ‘partially mobilise’ Wuding Field Army and move the Second Imperial Corps to the Baoshan. That doesn’t explain why the entirety of the Wuding Army is standing ready at the borders, nor why the Fifth Field Corps as well as my Corps are being transferred to the Baoshan, nor why weapons, munitions, supplies and bases of the Northwestern Field Army are being pre-positioned in the Baoshan. In addition to that, you have instructed us to bring along a wide array of bridging and river-crossing equipment.”

“And what is the problem with that?” Defence Minister Wai Shi Ting said.

“I do hope the defence ministry is aware of the costs and risks involved. We have nearly three hundred thousand troops, and by the end of this it will increase to well over 500,000, not to mention logistics involved.” Field Marshal Kuok looked sternly at Minister Wai. “Does the Defence Ministry have permission of this action from the Imperial Court? Be aware that even maintaining alert levels of half a million troops for a few weeks, not to mention months, will risk bankrupting the Empire’s treasury.”

“Field Marshal Kuok, I do hope that you aren’t doubting my measures to ensure the territorial integrity of Chen and peace on the continent as a whole?” Minister Wai replied, making it clear the hierarchy that existed, even if Kuok was Imperial Guard and also originating from a family of high regard.

“I do not, Minister Wai, I am a soldier, and I follow orders given by His Majesty and the Imperial Court. I merely wish to clarify over the precise nature of the ongoing situation.”

“The ongoing situation mandates that armed conflict is increasingly likely. The Tsar is becoming increasingly hostile, diplomatically, politically, economically, and it is necessary for the survival of the Empire that we maintain control of our sovereignty- which means restrictions on Terncan trade, which the Tsar will likely treat as causus belli. You know that he, too, is preparing for war, and is deploying Lhaeraidd mercenaries to the front. We know what that means; whenever Lhaeraiddan mercenaries are hired, there’s a war of imperialist aggression, and wherever they come in action, there’s plunder, massacres, genocide.” Minister Wai paused. “Therefore the situation mandates that we proactively take measures to defend our sovereignty, our people, our Emperor, and establish peace and stability by all means necessary.”

“Would establishing peace mean taking the Baoshan, invading Ternca?”

“Naturally, the setting up of a buffer zone with Ternca would be most beneficial in ensuring peace between our nations. This will, yes, involve invading the Baoshan on our behalf, but that is not all; how many guns do we have on the front?”

“In total, around eight hundred, once the Northwestern Army arrives.”

“I want all these lined up along the front, with pre-aimed targets. The Baoshan Command will soon receive permission to pre-emptively strike when it deems a Terncan invasion imminent. This will be followed by a river crossing on two points along the front, spearheaded by the Imperial Guards, to establish themselves on the opposite bank and secure the buffer zone along the river.”

“All I needed, Minister. So we are preparing for an offensive.”

“We still maintain that these are defensive operations, and it will be advisable to call it such officially.” Minister Wai responded. “Regardless, what are your thoughts on the plan?”

“Workable, Minister. The main issue will always be supplying this massive army. I suggest the crossing points be located as far east as possible, with Longcun as main base, as any further west- to Jifang- will be far harder to supply, and the roads there are hardly existent. The advantage to Longcun is also its access to the coastal railway.”

“That would be advisable; we will take these further in the next meeting of the commanders. If that is all-“

“Thank you, Minister.” Field Marshal Kuok stood up, bowed and left the office.

Canton Territories
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Canton Territories » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:26 am

Baoshan River
Western Baoshan Highlands

Captain Gui Lo Wu surveyed his position. His company, one of hundreds, occupied a small section of several trenches all located within several hundred meters from the Baoshan river which formed the official boundary between the Tsardom and the Empire.

His position was elevated, on a hill, with his sniper as well as a machine-gun covering the river at a location deemed suitable for crossing. And in addition to a few guns spread sparsely on Chen’s western Baoshan territories, that was about it, the far-west extension of the Baoshan Line which was supposed to defend against whatever assault the Terncans wished to bring about.

The current battle plan foresaw the local Wuding Army in the eastern half of the Baoshan, operating between Longcun and Beimen. The main concern was that the Terncans would attempt a flanking manoeuvre through the center or far-western Baoshan areas, both covered by the Northwestern Field Army, of which Captain Gui was part of. But the logistical difficulties with supplying the far-west counted for both sides; therefore a Terncan assault through to Jifang was deemed not likely. As well, the far-west had not only the Baoshan river but also the Jifang river running through, making defence of the west comparatively easy.

The central area between Jifang and Longcun was the more crucial area, and a Terncan crossing in the center would be likely. Which was why the Northwestern Field Army had deployed two of its three corps in the center and left half of the third corps west of the Jifang river. Preparations in the center and the east were much more extensive; forts and bunkers were being renovated, modernised, erected, possible crossing sites mined, barbed-wire strung across the banks, with all of it backed up by manpower, logistics, and heavy artillery.

Captain Gui watched as his men milled about, little to do. Choosing and digging up the ‘fortifications’ in his sector had been done in less than a day and headquarters was in no hurry to send them any materials or engineers to upgrade their defences. His unit was Company A, 1st Battalion, 2nd Regiment, 24th Infantry Division, Fifth Corps. Which seemed nice to remember. Together with the 25th Infantry Division they would "defend" the Baoshan west of the Jifang river, while the rest of V Corps (the 26th Infantry Division along with Corps troops) were kept in reserve or deployed east of the river.

It was clear that his troops were not from here, and already the conscript farmers from the western border were getting into arguments and disputes with local villagers here. Morale was atrocious, these peasants clearly had no interest in being here, far away from home. They fooled about, disobeyed orders, some even deserting- it would only get worse, and repeated flogging eventually lost its threat appeal.

Captain Gui could understand them, however, and when he could he tried to reason with them. If there would be a war, there would be a war, and they would defend their country from the barbarians to the north. If not, they would go home, he assured them. Gui was from the newly established educated urban middle class, taking advantage of the loosened restrictions emplaced on the officer corps, whose higher ranks nonetheless restricted to nobility and ascension was determined by patronage. Foreign advisors could only do so much to encourage modernisation, but centuries of feudal domination had left its mark, naturally.
Last edited by Canton Territories on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Canton Territories
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Canton Territories » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:23 am

Ministry of War
Tianjing

Minister of War Wai Shi Ting stared out of his window, which overlooked the magnificent capital, the Imperial Palace in full view, a morass urban jungle expanding in all directions- up and outwards, even down into the earth, in some cases. It had been several years when the War Ministry had been moved out of the Imperial Palace grounds to a more secure place, Fort Kanxi, named after a famous general who'd defeated the Terncans several centuries ago.

Wai Shi Ting was a short man himself, which was said by those around him to have caused some sort of inferiority complex in him. Nobody was quite sure how he'd managed to rise to one of the most prestigious and powerful positions in the Empire, and they wouldn't be wrong if they suggested shady dealings.

Indeed, he was no military man and hadn't been in the officer corps, which was a first; up to then the office was always held by a General of sorts. His ascent had been swift, unexpected, but well planned and executed. Some actual disgruntled colonels and majors had been contacted, false information spread here and there, about this person and that. The capture of a soldier carrying documents suggesting a coup was about to happen. Emperor Hu already had his suspicions, and he acted swiftly. The Emperor's Guards swept in, arresting the incumbent War Minister on charges of treason, as well as two dozen others, all of whom were promptly executed. Fifty more officers and soldiers were arrested and two hundred discharged. Then the Emperor was faced with finding a new War Minister.

And who was there to take his place, recommended by Interior Minister Ta Ken Ou- who was incidentally a relative, and close confidant, of the Emperor? None other than Wai Shi Ting. The Emperor distrusted army men, particularly smart, ambitious army men, and Wai Shi Ting appeared to be the opposite of all that. A hard-working, low-profile man of the lower nobility, devout to the Emperor. So he was chosen.

Some time after that the Interior Minister somehow found funds to upgrade and enlarge his estate. Later on, so did Minister of Economy Wan Mo Ni. Those close to the Minister of War could expect lavish parties and orgies in his fancy manor on the Canton coast, and he was always ready to throw around cash to anyone who needed it, be it business or otherwise. Nobody questioned where he'd gotten his wealth from.

Though where did it actually come from? At roughly the same time, Rohstian colonial enterprises entered Chen, a vast market opened up to them, with compliments by the Minister of Economy. Rohstian companies soon found themselves with privileges unheard of in a country wary of foreign encroachment, while the Interior Ministry ensured that those who opposed them were quickly silenced. At the same time, detailed transcripts on meetings and on the mechanisms of the Imperial Court was landing on the Rohstian Colonial Governor in Cheonsam.

And Minister Wai Shi Ting was happy to hear from them; they would be apparently sending delegates to discuss Rohst's position on the Ternca-Chen crisis which was worsening by the day. Ternca was infuriated by Chen's large scale fortification works in the Baoshan while Chen pointed at the Lhaeraiddan mercs, asking what those were doing on the Terncan side of the border. Ternca had also been angered by the Interior Ministry's moves to monitor and restrict Terncan traders within Chen. Chen retorted that Ternca should withdraw its missionaries. The Terncan resource exploitation company in the Chen Baoshan remained closed, its employees detained, with Ternca demanding both their release and the resources found be placed under the company's control. Chen refused.

Wai Shi Ting knew that any further attack on Terncan trade would likely result in war. The Treaty of Jindao of 1560 explicitly maintained that Chen was to allow unrestricted Terncan trade, and already they were acting in contrary to that provision. However, Minister Wai believed the Empire was ready for war- and that it was about time one was fought, lest Chen become complacent and weak, as it was now. His conscience remained unperturbed by his underhand dealings; after all, he was still serving his country, and with his connections he'd managed to secure boatloads of modern weapons at discount price from Rohst, even heavy weapons.

Ternca
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ternca » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:45 am

Terncow, Ternca
The Tsar stared over the shining harbor of Terncow in deep thought. The Jade Ocean helped the Tsar maintain harmony, while thinking about the recent events in Chen. The Tsar was in deep thought, over exactly what to do.
The Assembly of Wisdom
Screaming and shouting went through the assembly as the delegates debated what to do about Chen. “THEY ARE SENDING OTHER POWERS, ENCOURAGING IMPERIALISM!!!”, “Is that land Terncan IS IT!””. The debate went on for it seemed like an eternity. One of the delegates decided to leave and consult the Tsar, after he realized it was going no where. Running through the streets of Terncow, it's European Squares, and Chinese roofs, he rushed to the building perched on top of the harbor. “Your Glorious Tsar, Lord of the Mountains, Lord of the Sun, Lord of the Snow, please advise us, PLEASE!, The Assembly of Wisdom is going nowhere, it's devolving into nonsense and screaming!”, the Tsar lifted his hand up, and put it on the delegate, “silence” he whispered softly. “Yermolayevich, I have come up with a decision I would like you to deliver to the assembly, we will try diplomacy with Chen, but at the same time get support from other powers if diplomacy fails, such as sending officals to Rossakaya and other powers, and mobilize the Terncan Army. That way we can stop this war, and if it does start we can blame them for breaking down peace, and get other powers to our side and her our citizenry to support it, da Yermolayevich”, “Da sir, that looks to be a good idea, I will deliver it to them”. Yermolayevich ran back to the assembly, the debate will still on going “SILENCE I HAVE RECEIVED A MESSAGE FROM THE TSAR!” he screamed loudly, “The Tsar asks we try diplomacy with Chen, but work with other powers and mobilize the great Terncan Army!”, the delegates nodded knowing the Tsar's power. Soon 3 young delegates would be arranged, along with the Tsar and Terncan officials, for the meeting with Chen.
Last edited by Ternca on Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Canton Territories
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Diplomacy

Postby Canton Territories » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:24 am

Beigang City
Chen Empire

Foreign Minister Pu Ting En stood alongside War Minister Wai Shi Ting at the steps of the Government House of Beigang City, where the talks had been scheduled. He looked apprehensively as the entourage of the Terncans arrived in grand fashion, at its head the Tsar himself, beside him clearly a highly decorated general as well as numerous delegates and guards; in contrast, the Chen Emperor was not present, the highest level being its ministers- Pu Ting En, the War Minister and Chief of Staff General Lao De Bang, a detachment of the sharpest-looking Imperial Guardsmen and some more officials, some chosen just to look smart and scribble notes. It was all impressions.

Pu Ting En led the way down as the Tsar was helped out of his carriage, putting on his diplomatic smile. Minister Pu, as well as the rest of the Chen delegation, bowed before him in Chennese fashion, before Minister Pu shook the Tsar's hand and both sides introduced their delegates. Despite all the well-wishes and smiles and friendly greetings, a cold tension was immediately felt present by all involved. And Minister Pu got straight to the point once they had settled within the decorated conference room, paintings of well-known Chen emperors and generals hung all across the room.

"On behalf of the Imperial Court, we welcome you to Chen, and thank you for agreeing to such talks. We will get straight to the point, as there are many pressing issues. For one, we desire nothing but peace, and wish to continue to abide by the Treaty of Jindao.

“However, unless Ternca puts an end to its missionary activity in Chen, we will have to place necessary restrictions on movement between our countries. The second point, regarding your resource company in the Baoshan: we wish to make it clear that the resources discovered are on Chen territory, and are subject to Chen sovereignty and ownership. We are willing to negotiate a deal, but the resources are ultimately Chens, and unless you accept that, we will continue to detain Terncan citizens in Chen.

Thirdly, you have raised concerns on foreign activity in Chen. With all due respect, Chen is a sovereign nation, and as you wish for non-intervention by foreign powers in Chen affairs, you, too, should maintain a policy of non-interference in Chen matters, as Chen does not interfere in yours.”

Minister Wai Shi Ting took over. “Finally, our mobilisation is solely due to your aggressive actions, the stationing of Lhaeraiddan mercenaries on our border. You must understand our concerns- wherever Lhaeraiddan mercenaries are deployed, it is for conducting the dirty work of invasions, therefore please explain their presence in Ternca.”

Both ministers were aware of the position they had. It was not good. For one, the Chen mobilisation was disproportionally more than the Terncan one- for roughly a divisions worth of Lhaerraidan mercenaries (it was estimated), Chen was sending half a million troops to the border, and fortifying positions on the Baoshan on a scale not seen before in centuries. In addition, the restrictions and harassment of Terncan merchants were already in breach of the Jindao Treaty which mandated free passage for Terncan trade. And the tone with which the ministers were speaking to the Tsar was likely not to be received well either.
Last edited by Canton Territories on Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ternca
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ternca » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:45 am

The Tsar looked at the Minister, conflicted on how to respond. On one hand the Tsar knew that the minister has coordinated with various powers, threatening Terncan Sovereignity, and had completely volatiled the Treaty of Jindao, but the Tsar thought that eventually he could negotiate a deal with the Minister to end Chen cooperation with forigen powers, and allow Terncan Companies to operate in the region freely. However one of the Tsar's Hardliner Generals, one who had wanted a Terncan Invasion of Chen, spoke up. "Your Fair Minister, I would like to speak in private with the delegation, over your statements. Just to make a fair decision you know". The General smiled, "And of course Minister remember that Ternca isn't some weak old power, we have a large organized army that could destroy yours if we do choose. Don't push us, Minister."
Last edited by Ternca on Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Canton Territories
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Canton Territories » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:12 am

The Tsar clearly looked befuddled at the Chen ministers aggressive stance. Good sign. Though Minister Pu was wary of the Terncan general who had come along- clearly, he had much influence over Terncan affairs, and from the first moment he knew that he was facing a potential enemy.

Then again, he was aware that Minister Wai was no less aggressive. Minister Wai had urged the delegation to impose themselves and give the Terncans a strong impression, to be able to negotiate from a position of strength.

Minister Wai replied to the General: "Please do, you are our welcome guests after all." then, with a badly hidden sneer, "as long as you are invited. We have never claimed that Ternca was some weak old power, merely asserting our sovereignty. I may not be so sure about the military balance if I were you, General, for we have our allies too, you know."

Ternca
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ternca » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:02 pm

The General smiled, at Minister Pu, "Good Minister, good", the general chuckled. The General stood up, and patted the Tsar,"Let's go your highness", he cheerfully stated. He walked with the Tsar to a nearby room.
"You IDIOT, with your statement of weak, he never said that, NEVER!", screamed the Tsar, "Your Highness, your highness, calm down alright, calm down", "OH RIGHT CALM DOWN, so you can play your tricks, I KNOW your games general, i'm not a idiot!". The General lightly patted the Tsar, "shhh, you knowing those Chen people, not reconziging our influence, falling to those evil Asuran and Renakkan powers do you, taking away our trade", "Your just trying to trick me!, now get off", the general got a paper out of his pocket, and gave it to the Tsar. It was a Rohstian Telegram to Chen.

Canton Territories
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Canton Territories » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:34 pm

Did the General just pat the Tsar? the Chen delegation murmured to themselves. "I would get my head chopped off if I did that" General Lao said. From the next room what sounded like muffler shouts were heard. "Is that how they discuss these things? My, theyy are fucking weird." Minister Pu said.

"Too much vodka." Wai replied. "Though they have reason to be worried; were by far not diplomatically isolated and numerous nations have interest in not seeing us fall."

"The one benefit of allowing the foreigners to exploit our markets?"

Wai chuckled. "Nations are predictable- they do whatever is in their interests, that is the rule of the game. Everything else, ideologies and religion, is manipulated to those means, the means of economic and political gain." Which was apt to describe the corrupt Minister himself.

Rohst
Spokesperson

Founded: May 31, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Rohst » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:44 pm

Baoshan River

Oberst (colonel) Reinald von Klauswitz was inspecting the colonial garrison's trenches. Though most of the men in his corps were Cheonsamean in origin, he was impressed to see them working just as hard as their Rohstian brethren. Despite their background, the men got along well, and it was warming to see the colonists chatting or playing cards with the native Engortian troops. The people of Chen did not seem to slack in their duties either, and welcomed the presence of him and and his troops with open arms with the threat of Terncan forces looming so closely over.

Indeed, von Klauswitz had received orders from the General-Governor himself to deploy his forces on the Baoshan River. A curious choice, to say the least, but it served the Kingdom's interests better to maintain a friendly, independent Chen as opposed to one controlled and dominated by Ternca. He had written back General-Governor with a few details of his force composition, the number of men, their weapons and the like, as well as some details and musings of his time on the front and about training the Chennese troops in how to operate Rohstian arms. Normally, though, the General-Governor was very prompt with his responses...

Regardless, von Klauswitz was almost eager to have the Terncan forces attempt crossing the river. The Oberst was watching his men unpack the cutting edge Maschinengewehre Eins, newly finished weapons capable of spitting bullets out faster than the Newreyan crank-operated Gatling guns could ever hope to achieve. The best part is that all they needed was a simple pull of the trigger and another soldier to feed the ammunition belt into the contraption, so the men wouldn't become fatigued from operating them either. It was with the introduction of this weapon, along with others, such as the recent bolt-operated rifles being finally issued to the colonial garrisons, that meant that older, obsolete weapons of war could be sold to nations with less advanced militaries (such as Chen). By putting old Rohstian guns and cannons in the hands of the Chennese, Rohst was giving them at a significant advantage over whatever outdated smoke-sticks the Terncans could muster, but still, the Terncan forces on the other side of the river were better trained and more familiar with their weapons that the Chennese were with theirs. It didn't help that the crème de la crème of tir Lhaeraidd's armed forces, the kilt-wearing, bagpipe toting highland mercenaries were on their side. Still, with these new machine guns and his colonial troops fighting alongside the Empire, there was little to actually fear.

If anything, the Oberst was more annoyed and threatened by the screeching bagpipes every morn at 6:00AM. He was sure they were even louder and more obnoxious on the Terncan-held side of the river.
Last edited by Rohst on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I don't give a damn for Caligula -- just his horse!"
"Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job."

Ternca
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ternca » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:23 am

The Tsar looked up, "What silly thing do you have now!", the general smiled, "take this your Highness". It was white paper, with the official Rohstian Insignia on it.
Don't worry, Glorious Minister of Chen, our reinforcements are coming to crush those Terncan Imperalists. All you need to do is watch us, and see them running away from your territory. We will train your armies, give weapons, for the glory of Rohst, for the glory of Chen.

The Tsar fumed, "WHAT DO THESE IDIOTS THINK! Trying DIPLOMACY WHILE WORKING WITH FORIGEN POWERS! That's it general, let me insert some sense into this Minister!", the general smirked, and led him to the door. When they reached the meeting meeting room the Tsar looked at the Minister, "Listen Minister, I don't know who you think you are, but don't be asking for diplomacy, AND BE WORKING WITH A FORIGEN IMPERALIST POWER AT THE SAME TIME!".
Last edited by Ternca on Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Canton Territories
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Canton Territories » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:53 am

The delegation looked on, shocked. How had the tone changed so abruptly, so much? Minister Wai looked at Minister Pu, and Minister Pu looked at General Lao, and General Lao shrugged. Minister Pu remained calm as he spoke. "It is unfortunate that Ternca continues to insist upon giving itself rights in Chen affairs. If we may humbly repeat, Chen is an independent, sovereign state and is free to conduct diplomatic treaties just as Ternca is free to conduct its own affairs without interference from Chen."

"However, if you do not want diplomacy, we are not asking for it. Remember that it is you who are behaving aggressively, it is you who wish to have made impossible claims on Chen sovereignty, it is you who demand to have the right to exploit Chen resources and labour, it is you who wish to undermine the Empire, while it is the Emperor who wishes for nothing but the continuation of peace that has lasted for the past centuries."

Oserland
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Oserland » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:10 am

The Port of Valatin, Oserland

Troops from Oserland, Nory Yypptakt and Yvilonia arrived in Valatin. Officially, the troops were there to modernise the Chenese army and Keep the peace but to many it was clear why they were here. The Chenese Empire had leased Valatin to Oserland in exchange for an alliance and ever since Oserland, and later Nory Yypptakt who had simply become a puppet of Duchy, has had a large amount of influence in the empire and cared to massively in its survival. Yvilonia also had interests in the region as it wanted to protect its trade interests.

The combined army marched towards the Beimen coastal area, where they would ready their defences and get ready for a Terncan offensive. Meanwhile in Oserland, the new Battleship: OS Victory set sail for Chen.
"YOU WILL DIE, NOT US!" - Alex Jones

Midrasia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Midrasia » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:40 am

The Kingdom of Midrasia
Reialme de Mydrazia

Dear Prime Minister,

I appreciate your concerns about the current situation, however I do not believe such actions will be necessary. Our vessel is merely there to observe the situation, not to provoke a reaction from the Tsardom or her allies. We must approach this situation with extreme caution.
I am certain with careful thought and action we can put a stop to this nonsense eastern expansionism. But should push come to shove, you shall have Midrasia's full support.

Yours Sincerely,
Raymonde de Sagarde, Prime minister of Midrasia.

Reality was a little different to how Sagarde had written it however. Even he, the Prime Minister of Midrasia did not command the full support of his own party, let alone parliament. Trade concerns, military reforms, they all took precedent over concern over the expansion of some far flung Tsardom way off to the east. Nevertheless, it was for Prime Minister Sagarde to convince them he was right to be concerned, that it was in Midrasia's best interest to prevent the aggressive expansionism of Ternca.

It was down to Sagarde alone to convince parliament of this, the next session would be his chance.

"I apologise but the Prime Minister knows nothing of the ongoing situation!" boomed the leader of the opposition "Is Mr. Sagarde suggesting that he would let thousands of innocent Midrasian's die simply to protect the sovereignty of one far off nation who will not even fully open their markets to the west?" The assembly began to grumble, Sagarde was losing them, they just didn't see things his way.
"Well, my friend you fail to see that the Tsardom could pose a future threat to Midrasian interests, be it in the south-east of even as far as Majula, you have to understand. Terncan expansion will not simply stop with the Great Chen!"

"I'm afraid its you who fails to understand the situation Prime Minister..." the voice came from Sagarde's side... no it couldn't be, one of his own cabinet speaking out against him? "You fail to see the opportunity with which this situation has presented itself to us." boomed Henri Vireque, Sagarde's own foreign minister. "For years, we have attempted to extend our influence over the Chen, to gain access to their markets. Yet when the chance to do so presents itself, what do you do... nothing! Instead this government has armed and even trained the soldiers of the Chen emperor and for what? Mr. Sagarde may as well kowtow to the feet of the emperor himself! Instead we should be pressuring the Chen, open your markets to us, or else!"
The room began to stir, grumbles and voices of support began to ring out across the room, Sagarde wanted to escape his world was turning around, to be anywhere but here...
"As such, I call for a motion of no confidence within the Prime minister, he has failed to adequately lead this government, and has failed to put Midrasia's interests first!"
"Resign!" shouted the room, both members of the opposition and his own party waved papers in the air to display their support for the motion.
"ORDER! ORDER!" boomed the speaker. In light of the house's overenthusiastic response to such a motion, the voting shall commence immediately at the end of this session."

It was now time to find who was friend and who was foe thought Sagarde, who wore and increasingly melancholy expression on his face. My legacy will be decided here and now...
Republique de Mydrazia
IIWiki
Charles Vauban - IIWiki featured article (October 2017)
Pere Clar - IIWiki featured article (September 2019)

Ternca
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ternca » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:02 am

"And Minister? All Ternca wants to do with Chen is cooperate and trade, however you place us in the situation where we have to intervene. Instead of diplomacy Minister, you deceive is, working with forigen powers against the Tsardom. You OPENLY work with them, allowing them to exploit the resources but not partners you have worked with for, hundreds of years. You tell me it's a question of, sovieriginity, SOVIERNITY ISN'T SELLING OUT TO ASURA!", The Tsar loudly responded. "Honestly I feel damn betrayed, I should have never came to this conference in the first place, all for nothing more than wasting my time!", the Tsar signalled the Delegation to walk out, and loudly walked out of the room, and rode his horse and carriage back to Ternca.

Rohst
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Rohst » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:24 am

Baoshan River

Leutnant (lieutenant) Ulrich von Sturmberg stood panting, watching the smoke leave the barrel of his pistole, then proceeded with looking back at the former Captain Ping Lao of the 34th Infantry Division, sprawled out on the frosty ground. Though one of the brightest translators in Oberst von Klauswitz' rentinue, the lad mistakenly called Lao's mother a bitch when trying to translate how his platoon was prepared to "smash the dogs on the Western flank". Naturally, this lead to a confusing string of angry words the boy could not immediately understand, and the next thing he knew, he was pitched into a Midrasian-style pistole duel with a man he was enjoying morning tea with just a few minutes prior. By the gods, he knew Lao was known for his hot temper, but he was utterly confused how as to how on Aeia an innocent expression of camaraderie and confidence in his men could've been taken so negatively.

Regardless, here he stood on snowy dirt, with his cheek bleeding from where Lao's bullet had grazed him and his hands shaking because he had just killed his first combatant. By the time the Oberst came to see what all the commotion was about, the deceased Captain's body was being carried away. Many of the soldiers in von Sturmberg's platoon too, had came, and not knowing what had transpired, began cheering for their Leutnant. This caused immense displeasure to the Chennese troops in attendance, who began shouting harsh words in their native tongue and in broken Cheonsamean at the Rohstian armed forces. Ordinarily, they would've behaved civilly even though their captain lost, but for these foreigners to cheer at their countryman's death? How could these men be their trusted allies and friends?

The Terncan forces across the river likely heard the commotion, but it was yet unclear how they were reacting to it. One scout's report said they were mobilizing to cross the river, another said they weren't. The men from both sides returned to their positions with sour tastes in their mouths. Despite the the past two months of bonding and fraternization, this issue caused a small rift with those that were involved, and it was painful for von Sturmberg to know is actions were the cause of it. Relations with the Chen troops were effectively where they started when Rohst joined them at Baoshan - cold, like the mountain air.
Last edited by Rohst on Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job."

Canton Territories
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

The War Begins

Postby Canton Territories » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:27 pm

Yabuling Village
Central Baoshan
Chen Empire

"Major, look!" Major Fu was on his nightly walk down the river bank of the Baoshan river. Quiet it flowed into the Jade ocean, meandering in long bendy stretches. The Major had taken to enjoy it here as long as peace lasted. He looked up, balloons which glimmered in the moonlight had risen up into the sky from the opposite bank, the Terncan side, red and bright, perhaps a hundred of them. Beautiful, the Major thought, and he counted them as some wafted over to the Chen side. "Ninety nine that we can see" his XO said. "Yep, 99 red balloons." Major Fu replied.

The balloons were joined suddenly by bright lights and little explosions. "Fireworks? Festive mood today" his XO said, "wonder what the terns are celebrating today?"

"Not fireworks." The Major said, his voice filled with dread. "Machine guns. Our machine guns. Get DOWN!"

Both of them threw themselves to ground as flashes appeared on the other side, bullets kicking up dust. "Don't fire!" The Major shouted. "Get to safety!" Half his command was here, to inspect the lines and he didn't want to lose them.

"They spotted us!" A shout went up. "Snipers!" Crawling in the mud the group managed to just throw themselves into a trench when a machine gun ripped into where they were moments before; the Majors logistics officer and an adjutant however were wounded. Firing back blindly with his pistol he reached, sweating, the division headquarters.

"What's going on?" He asked.

"Major Fu, just who we need. See, we had a swarm of unidentified flying objects launched from the Terncan side invading our airspace and likely carrying surveillance devices or whatnot monitoring our positions. So we reckoned we'd take measures to defend ourselves as High Command has ordered."

"Those were bloody harmless balloons, heard of them?" Major Fu retorted.

"Ah well, still could've been something, technology advances fast these days." The division commander said. "Anyways, they started firing across the river clearly in preparation for a crossing. You all know the plan. Major Fu, your troops will lead the way in crossing over to secure the bridge and a beachhead, the rest of the Imperial Corps will follow up."

"Does High Command know?"

"They will soon, and we presume we will be informed that a state of war will be declared to exist, but for deterrence purpose we will give them a good shelling."

Shaking his head, the Major left. By the time he arrived at his positions there was uninterrupted fire across the river. "Are you mad?" His XO tried to shout over the din of gunfire. "Crossing will be impossible!"

"Our artillery will suppress it- hopefully!" Fu replied. Soon enough, Some four hundred Chen guns began firing in unison at predesignated targets, and the enemy machine guns fell silent.

"That's it! Advance!" Major Funscreamed, drawing his sabre and waving at the troops. The regiment of Imperial troops stormed down the bank to prepared river crossing vehicles, rafts, boats, while others charged the main bridge. Surprisingly, neither side had made moves to blow it up- yet. The Terncan river bank was covered in explosions from artillery bombardment. Reaching the other side with light casualties, Major Fu's troops were reinforced by more Chen units.

War came as no surprise, and nobody tried to show that. The first few days of action took mainly around Major Fu's beachhead where it seemed as though the Chen were actually invading Ternca- until Terncan artillery sprung their trap, smashing Chen batteries in precision counter battery fire, obliterating a quarter of the firing Chen guns. The rest went into hiding and could only fire carefully; with a lack of artillery cover, the Chen beachhead was dangerously pinned. Meanwhile, Ternca was ominously mobilizing on the coast as well as the western Baoshan flank, and preparing for what looked like a major assault...

Rohst
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Rohst » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:18 am

Baoshan River

Tercan ordinance makes a very loud and distinct whistling sound when it barrels towards the ground. Feldwebel Pieter van der Kleij knew this all too well, and without a second thought, yelled at his men.

"INNNCOMING!"

The Terncan artillery batteries smashed into the Rohstian trenches during early morning teatime. The ungentlemanly bombardment lasted roughly thirty minutes, with most of the salvos being opened on the Kingdom's front-most line of defences. Fortunately, most of the men were shielded by their fortifications, save for those unlucky enough to have a shell land directly on top of their section. With the barrage ending as abruptly as it started, the colonial troops immediately assumed a battle-ready stance -- the result of the KSK's highly efficient military drills and tradition paying their course. It was clear that the Terncans were on the offensive and had just kick started a new war.

Van der Kleij was making a mental note of the wounded caused by the assault, whilst ushering the rest of his men to their respective posts. Before he could say to them "feuer auf mein Kommando", Oost, Jeong, Reiner and Youn were all unleashing lead from their fixed positions. Indeed, whilst allied forces were occupied with with the initial shelling, the opposing force used this opportunity to make an attempt on crossing the river on the Western flank. Little did they know they were walking straight into Rohstian Maschinengewehr fire, or the nasty surprise that entailed.

As soon as they exited their landing craft, the Terncan soldiers and their Lhaeraidd counterparts were besieged by blistering-fast machine gunfire. Those fortunate enough to find cover quickly did so, but most of the enemy forces could not afford such a luxury and were quickly gunned down by the technological marvels of Rohstian engineering. The mounted troops sent over the bridge unsurprisingly fared the worst; horse and cavalier were cut down in equal measure, being easy targets for the riflemen and gunners to hit. For an entire day, the enemy threw wave upon wave of soldiers at the Rohstian line, only to have them have them topple over the bodies of their own dead as they were brutally massacred. Historically, the Baoshan River had often run red with blood, but today the water was especially murky and thick with it.

Not all of it was Terncan and Lhaeraidd, however. According to the messenger's report, a large contingent of Chen forces were now stranded on the opposite side of the frontline, and assistance was being requested from van Kleij's unit. "And for what," he angrily ruminated, "to have us attempt some suicidal charge in an effort to relieve them?" He knew not of the fate of the Chen guns, but as he waited in his trench and surveyed the next bout of Woolcaps crossing the river, he called for his men to prep their weapons. Just as he began jogging to the supply depot for more ammunition, he heard a familiar whizzing sound pierce the air. Instinctively, he shouted at the top of his lungs.

"INNNCOMING!"

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents