NATION

PASSWORD

Novaluna One Exocolonial RP [OOC/PMT/SEMI-OPEN/Attn REC]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Mon May 09, 2016 10:39 pm

Vistora wrote:
Tundra Terra wrote:So the trees on a floating mountain doesn't count? (Avatar)

Well, that would just be a corollary to "mountains cannot float"

sry

Magnetic heated helium-filled mountains in a cold radon atmosphere.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Vistora
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Mon May 09, 2016 10:47 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Vistora wrote:
Well, that would just be a corollary to "mountains cannot float"

sry

Magnetic heated helium-filled mountains in a cold radon atmosphere.

Very fluffy mountains

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Sat May 14, 2016 3:12 pm

After much thoughtful consideration, myself and a few other people involved in this have determined that the addition of bombsquids is an absolute necessity.

Neonymphonia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 26, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neonymphonia » Sat May 14, 2016 8:45 pm

Vistora wrote:After much thoughtful consideration, myself and a few other people involved in this have determined that the addition of bombsquids is an absolute necessity.

That sounds like a very serious health and safety hazard. You sure that's FDA-approved?

But, since I know you like to explain stuff, go ahead. Regale me. ;)
Liked my factbook before? Well, then check out just how much better the new one is.

Proud member of Novaluna One, and proud partner-in-crime with Vistora

Haja-Mishu wrote:“She’s a real life sex wizard”

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Sat May 14, 2016 9:29 pm

Neonymphonia wrote:
Vistora wrote:After much thoughtful consideration, myself and a few other people involved in this have determined that the addition of bombsquids is an absolute necessity.

That sounds like a very serious health and safety hazard. You sure that's FDA-approved?

But, since I know you like to explain stuff, go ahead. Regale me. ;)

Nah man, this shit's third-party. Real, good stuff. Kek.

Regarding their functionality... well, obviously they would not be real squids. That would be preposterous! For now, we know they are tentacular sea creatures that somewhat resemble cephalopods. What I figured is that a mother, engorged with babbies and at the end of her thug life cycle, would latch onto a larger sea creature and, through some mechanism I, from a list I know of, have yet to choose from, detonate, killing it and allowing the babbies to enter and use the carcass as food and shelter. There are more details I could add, but they're not quite pinned down yet.

Cumberlanda
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cumberlanda » Sat May 14, 2016 11:24 pm

Yay bombsquids!
Bundes'ka o Cumberlanda
"What are we gonna do on the bed, Max Barry?"
The Sentinel:Honestly I am looking for a better signature format because this one is hot garbage
Please look at these if you wish to comment on my nation. NS Stats are not the best.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sun May 15, 2016 5:14 am

Mountains made of ice do float.

A large nickel iron generation ship formed from a hollowed out asteroid arrives in system. It would be in the later stages because it is both a generation ship and an almost closed ecosystem.

Last edited by UniversalCommons on Sun May 15, 2016 5:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Sun May 15, 2016 10:19 am

UniversalCommons wrote:Mountains made of ice do float.

A large nickel iron generation ship formed from a hollowed out asteroid arrives in system. It would be in the later stages because it is both a generation ship and an almost closed ecosystem.

(Image)

Okay...

First, when we say "float", we are referring to such mountains floating in the air, Avatar-style. That is something mountains do not do, be they stone or ice (which are called icebergs, btw).

Second, this is an OOC thread, meaning it's Out Of Character. We're not RPing here. We are forming the RP setting and mechanics.

Third, it has already been determined that participants, when the RP starts, will choose from one of two ship types, neither of which are generation ships made from hollowed-out asteroids.

Fourth, who in the blazes are you?
Last edited by Vistora on Sun May 15, 2016 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Tue May 17, 2016 5:17 am

Vistora wrote:Okay then. If y'all can't be fucked to come up with new taxonomic kingdoms (a tall order, to be fair), I ask of you guys to help me with this; how can we add a unique spin to a plains-type biome, without deviating from its purpose of being a basic, largely docile ecosystem?

Since I'm here now, how about having the native animals have a slightly different biology/chemical balance/something so that humans cannot simply kill and eat right away, but rather need to put in a little work to change either the animals, themselves, or use animals from Earth (if brought), also providing an opportunity for the divergence of any civilizations starting in plains biomes.

Apologies for any bad science, I am not a biologist
"There are decades when nothing happens. There are weeks where decades happen" -Vladimir Lenin

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Tue May 17, 2016 6:09 am

Maljaratas wrote:
Vistora wrote:Okay then. If y'all can't be fucked to come up with new taxonomic kingdoms (a tall order, to be fair), I ask of you guys to help me with this; how can we add a unique spin to a plains-type biome, without deviating from its purpose of being a basic, largely docile ecosystem?

Since I'm here now, how about having the native animals have a slightly different biology/chemical balance/something so that humans cannot simply kill and eat right away, but rather need to put in a little work to change either the animals, themselves, or use animals from Earth (if brought), also providing an opportunity for the divergence of any civilizations starting in plains biomes.

I mean, obviously the lifeforms present on Novaluna will have a generally different biochemistry than those found on Earth, though the degree to which would be the case is hard to say, given how we have literally no precedent to base assumptions off of. However, I am fairly confident that extraterrestrial life will be made of of proteins with fairly similar chemical makeups as ours (whether or not amino acids as we know them would appear elsewhere in the universe is a subject of debate), even if the protein formulae and shapes are radically different, while glucose or some other sugar might still be used as a fairly universal currency of energy as it is on Earth because of its simplicity and energy density. Obviously, the existence of toxic substances within a creature are challenges to be overcome both here on Earth and likely elsewhere, but that's just a matter of keeping close tabs on what parts are edible and what are not. I have reasonable confidence that xenobiochemistry, however, would not be radically different on a fundamental level.

Still though, you raise a good point. It could very well be that a very common, universal enzyme or enzymatic product exists in most Novalunar lifeformes that is toxic to humans. I do not, however, think we will implement this because it could make things quite difficult and complex.

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Wed May 25, 2016 5:14 pm

Vistora wrote:
Maljaratas wrote:Since I'm here now, how about having the native animals have a slightly different biology/chemical balance/something so that humans cannot simply kill and eat right away, but rather need to put in a little work to change either the animals, themselves, or use animals from Earth (if brought), also providing an opportunity for the divergence of any civilizations starting in plains biomes.

I mean, obviously the lifeforms present on Novaluna will have a generally different biochemistry than those found on Earth, though the degree to which would be the case is hard to say, given how we have literally no precedent to base assumptions off of. However, I am fairly confident that extraterrestrial life will be made of of proteins with fairly similar chemical makeups as ours (whether or not amino acids as we know them would appear elsewhere in the universe is a subject of debate), even if the protein formulae and shapes are radically different, while glucose or some other sugar might still be used as a fairly universal currency of energy as it is on Earth because of its simplicity and energy density. Obviously, the existence of toxic substances within a creature are challenges to be overcome both here on Earth and likely elsewhere, but that's just a matter of keeping close tabs on what parts are edible and what are not. I have reasonable confidence that xenobiochemistry, however, would not be radically different on a fundamental level.

Still though, you raise a good point. It could very well be that a very common, universal enzyme or enzymatic product exists in most Novalunar lifeformes that is toxic to humans. I do not, however, think we will implement this because it could make things quite difficult and complex.

1. I was actually thinking in terms of indigestible, or partially so

2. Has anyone else read the book Jupiter by Ben Nova? (This will go somewhere)
"There are decades when nothing happens. There are weeks where decades happen" -Vladimir Lenin

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Wed May 25, 2016 6:34 pm

Maljaratas wrote:
Vistora wrote:

1. I was actually thinking in terms of indigestible, or partially so

1. Eh, most proteins that humans find difficult to digest are of the highly fibrous, structural sort found predominantly in plants, like cellulose and lignin. Outside of connective tissue, it's unlikely for our Zooforms to be too difficult to eat given proper preparation. Like I mentioned, the true danger could exist in poisonous substances.

2. No, I have not. May you provide a brief synopsis?

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Thu May 26, 2016 5:27 am

Vistora wrote:
Maljaratas wrote:1. I was actually thinking in terms of indigestible, or partially so

1. Eh, most proteins that humans find difficult to digest are of the highly fibrous, structural sort found predominantly in plants, like cellulose and lignin. Outside of connective tissue, it's unlikely for our Zooforms to be too difficult to eat given proper preparation. Like I mentioned, the true danger could exist in poisonous substances.

Most of the book isn't what I'm thinking of, but, they have really large semi-sentient/intelligent whale things in the liquid part of Jupiter. They were massive symbiotic organisms, with a brain part directing other parts such as armor parts, and flipper parts, among others. They a "rain" of elements from the gaseous part of the atmosphere. I was thining we could add them in as a smaller version in the Oceainc biome,or full-size in the gas giant nearby... (not necessarily sentient if needs be)

Also, thanks for helping me learn something today.
Last edited by Maljaratas on Thu May 26, 2016 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Thu May 26, 2016 6:11 am

Maljaratas wrote:
Vistora wrote:

Most of the book isn't what I'm thinking of, but, they have really large semi-sentient/intelligent whale things in the liquid part of Jupiter. They were massive symbiotic organisms, with a brain part directing other parts such as armor parts, and flipper parts, among others. They a "rain" of elements from the gaseous part of the atmosphere. I was thining we could add them in as a smaller version in the Oceainc biome,or full-size in the gas giant nearby... (not necessarily sentient if needs be)

Sounds like a a very large-scale siphonophore, which is kind of an aggregate organism made of different specialized sub-units. I can add them in as a special type of pansarcid colony, as such a description generally fits the pansarcid phenotype. In this instance, it would, without a doubt, be found in the Oceanic biome, as not only would we not otherwise encounter it at all, but the liquid part of a gas giant's composition is incredibly hostile to the formation and sustenance of life both complex and simple as well.

Aterria
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aterria » Thu May 26, 2016 7:25 am

new resources can be used to better the lives of the proletariat!!
A large mixed tech / retro empire set in an Earth-like world
Currently undergoing heavy civil unrest
**Based on the old game "battlenations" (now dead), Valkyria Chronicles, Code Geass (Holy Britannian Empire), and lots of other things

IMPERIAL BROADCASTING CENTER No real news as of today

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Thu May 26, 2016 7:43 am

Vistora wrote:
Maljaratas wrote:Most of the book isn't what I'm thinking of, but, they have really large semi-sentient/intelligent whale things in the liquid part of Jupiter. They were massive symbiotic organisms, with a brain part directing other parts such as armor parts, and flipper parts, among others. They a "rain" of elements from the gaseous part of the atmosphere. I was thining we could add them in as a smaller version in the Oceainc biome,or full-size in the gas giant nearby... (not necessarily sentient if needs be)

Sounds like a a very large-scale siphonophore, which is kind of an aggregate organism made of different specialized sub-units. I can add them in as a special type of pansarcid colony, as such a description generally fits the pansarcid phenotype. In this instance, it would, without a doubt, be found in the Oceanic biome, as not only would we not otherwise encounter it at all, but the liquid part of a gas giant's composition is incredibly hostile to the formation and sustenance of life both complex and simple as well.

Sounds good/cool.

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Fri May 27, 2016 4:12 pm

Regarding the map, is the darker green indicating a higher elevation? as I am assuming the dark blue is deep ocean and gray are mountains.

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Fri May 27, 2016 4:16 pm

Maljaratas wrote:Regarding the map, is the darker green indicating a higher elevation? as I am assuming the dark blue is deep ocean and gray are mountains.

Yes, but the map currently in the OP is rather outdated, and I will be posting the new topography and biome maps once I have finished working on them.

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Fri May 27, 2016 4:39 pm

Vistora wrote:
Maljaratas wrote:Regarding the map, is the darker green indicating a higher elevation? as I am assuming the dark blue is deep ocean and gray are mountains.

Yes, but the map currently in the OP is rather outdated, and I will be posting the new topography and biome maps once I have finished working on them.

You ninja'ed me.

I was asking because I was going to take a shot a making a biome map.

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Fri May 27, 2016 6:14 pm

Maljaratas wrote:
Vistora wrote:

You ninja'ed me.

I was asking because I was going to take a shot a making a biome map.

Kek. Don't worry, the biome map I'm working on is more than randomly place splotches, and a fair bit of methodology will go into placement.

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:22 am

Alright! I finished the full maps for both topography and biomes.

Topography

Biomes
Last edited by Vistora on Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ashkera
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashkera » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:50 pm

Vistora wrote:Alright! I finished the full maps for both topography and biomes.

Topography

Biomes

What's the map key for the biomes?
第五大黒森帝国
Practice. Virtue. Harmony. Prosperity.

A secretive Dominant-Party Technocracy located in the southwest of the Pacific Ocean
Factbook: The Fifth Empire of Ashkera [2018/2030] (updated 18.04.29) / Questions
Roaming squads of state-sponsored body-builders teach nerds to lift. "Fifth generation" cruise ships come equipped with naval reactors. Insurance inspectors are more feared than tax auditors. Turbine-powered "super interceptor" police cruisers patrol high-speed highways.

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:54 pm

Ashkera wrote:
Vistora wrote:Alright! I finished the full maps for both topography and biomes.

Topography

Biomes

What's the map key for the biomes?

There should be a color key in the OP, under "biomes"

Tundra Terra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2014
Corporate Police State

Postby Tundra Terra » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:16 pm

Another biome proposal but will be put into two sections:
1: for idea in general
2: science side

1: a Lunar Forest biome...as in a place that almost has an eternal "night time" from a certain kind of stone absorbing light and emits a certain glow. All the plants bloom or "light up" since the area is dark 9/10 of the entire day. this makes from some really pretty looking plants and the inhabitants tend to get better eyesight of the dark but not more sensitive to the light (plants "glow" remember)

2. For the plants...obviously modified chemicals emit a glow like nightsticks and the plants version of photosynthesis comes from the moonstone. Moonstone (just throwing a name) emits a faint glow on the ground since the minerals in it store light and emit it back slowly with only certain waves passing through. For Inhabitants they adapt to the ever-dark atmosphere (with the occasional break of sunlight) and develop better eyesight to dark. The reason for this darkness on the biome itself could anything from a forest with super tall trees that block and stretch for miles, to being in a valley with serious rock overhang, to having gases in the upper atmosphere that only break away at certain times of the day.
Current Status: Tundra is rocking with the Krieg...
We are a PMT Military and no We don't use NS stats.Why?
because..."WAR IS ETERNAL!!!"
"If bloodlust vikings, dorve tanks to school, had PMT-FT tech with Chaos -like fanaticism, this would be it."
-------------------------The Posthuman Coalition

─╤══̵̵͇̿̿̿̿╦︻ Put this in your sig if you are a war profiteer ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:49 pm

Tundra Terra wrote:Another biome proposal but will be put into two sections:
1: for idea in general
2: science side

1: a Lunar Forest biome...as in a place that almost has an eternal "night time" from a certain kind of stone absorbing light and emits a certain glow. All the plants bloom or "light up" since the area is dark 9/10 of the entire day. this makes from some really pretty looking plants and the inhabitants tend to get better eyesight of the dark but not more sensitive to the light (plants "glow" remember)

2. For the plants...obviously modified chemicals emit a glow like nightsticks and the plants version of photosynthesis comes from the moonstone. Moonstone (just throwing a name) emits a faint glow on the ground since the minerals in it store light and emit it back slowly with only certain waves passing through. For Inhabitants they adapt to the ever-dark atmosphere (with the occasional break of sunlight) and develop better eyesight to dark. The reason for this darkness on the biome itself could anything from a forest with super tall trees that block and stretch for miles, to being in a valley with serious rock overhang, to having gases in the upper atmosphere that only break away at certain times of the day.

Actually, your idea is really cool, but I feel as if it can simply be incorporated into the existing jungle biome. I think I did mention somewhere on this thread a while back that the jungle biomes will contain some hardcore Avatar-style bioluminescence, so there's that. Another thing is, litholuminescent minerals only emit light after they've absorbed it from sunlight (unless they're radioactive), so they would glow very little in such a panumbric biome. Unfortunately, that pretty much means that there's no source of light with which the plants might photosynthesize, and if survival is that difficult for photosynthetic organisms, what few plants might survive in such an area are unlikely to evolve the resource-intensive biochemistry for bioluminescence.

But with the Jungle biome already present, I can guarantee you that, at night, you will find no shortage of

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents