NATION

PASSWORD

Novaluna One Exocolonial RP [OOC/PMT/SEMI-OPEN/Attn REC]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vistora
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Fri May 06, 2016 4:26 pm

Singaporean Transhumans wrote:Hey how about a silicon species

LIVING CRYSTALS

think about it

Eugghh... I never liked the idea of silicon-based life. Not saying it's impossible, but believe me, as someone with considerable experience in the field of biochemistry I can name a lot of problems with it. Even if they did come about on Novaluna, selective pressure would absolutely favor carbon-based life, which is everything else. Also, silicon-based life would not be crystalline. Silicon dioxide is an inorganic material largely unusable in life.

Cumberlanda wrote:
Vistora wrote:
So far, we've settled on our Ark ships being of the Sleeper variety, propelled by methods far better for such massive constructs than solar sails, that carry at least one onboard shuttle for ferrying the crew up and down.

Alright, makes sense. I'd say it also should have some smaller scout ships for preliminary exploration. It would be easier to send down 10 in a ship of that size than 10 in a ship that could hold upwards of 1000.

I guess perhaps each Ark ship can either have one large cargo/transport shuttle and several small scout entry vehicles. Additionally, each participant perhaps can choose between one large shuttle or, say, three smaller shuttles. The former would result in a larger, more developed settlement from the get-go, while the latter would entail a larger number of smaller colonies spread out.
Last edited by Vistora on Fri May 06, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Fri May 06, 2016 4:43 pm

Oh yes, and I'm proposing two new biomes to add to Novaluna's lovely, docile, totally-not-chew-you-up-and-shit-you-out environment.

Toxic Swamp: Filled with an incredibly dense, toxic, corrosive fog and brimming with lethal flora and fauna, this hostile biome is ill-suited to those not adequately prepared to face down its myriad dangers.

Thunderstone: Characteried by nigh-constant wind and incredibly frequent lightning storms, this biome is a mountainous, rocky, arid locale notable for its subsurface deposits of magnetic rare-earth alloys.
Last edited by Vistora on Fri May 06, 2016 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Fri May 06, 2016 10:12 pm

Okay then. If y'all can't be fucked to come up with new taxonomic kingdoms (a tall order, to be fair), I ask of you guys to help me with this; how can we add a unique spin to a plains-type biome, without deviating from its purpose of being a basic, largely docile ecosystem?

Cumberlanda
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cumberlanda » Fri May 06, 2016 10:21 pm

Vistora wrote:Okay then. If y'all can't be fucked to come up with new taxonomic kingdoms (a tall order, to be fair), I ask of you guys to help me with this; how can we add a unique spin to a plains-type biome, without deviating from its purpose of being a basic, largely docile ecosystem?

I thought that the plains biome was the only biome that was relatively normal, and it would be the border between the jungle and desert, basically.

Oh, I've got an idea. Giant ants with even gianter anthills. They leave behind their massive anthills and other animals take residence in what is left of them. Kind of like Starship Troopers.
Bundes'ka o Cumberlanda
"What are we gonna do on the bed, Max Barry?"
The Sentinel:Honestly I am looking for a better signature format because this one is hot garbage
Please look at these if you wish to comment on my nation. NS Stats are not the best.

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Fri May 06, 2016 10:48 pm

Cumberlanda wrote:
Vistora wrote:Okay then. If y'all can't be fucked to come up with new taxonomic kingdoms (a tall order, to be fair), I ask of you guys to help me with this; how can we add a unique spin to a plains-type biome, without deviating from its purpose of being a basic, largely docile ecosystem?

I thought that the plains biome was the only biome that was relatively normal, and it would be the border between the jungle and desert, basically.

Oh, I've got an idea. Giant ants with even gianter anthills. They leave behind their massive anthills and other animals take residence in what is left of them. Kind of like Starship Troopers.

>Put lots of work into making Novaluna's biology original
>Giant bugs

Novum Alexandria
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novum Alexandria » Fri May 06, 2016 11:25 pm

Flying fish.

Kind of.

I have this mental image of massive, jellyfish-esque organisms floating above the ground, using mouths attached to extremely long appendages to hunt for om noms on the ground below. That mental image expanded into some vague thoughts about the plains biome being populated almost entirely by organisms that remain aloft at all times.
Last edited by Novum Alexandria on Fri May 06, 2016 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A LEAGUE OF MECHANOCRACIES member. Loosely based on The God Machine from New World of Darkness.
Steam

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Fri May 06, 2016 11:29 pm

Vistora wrote:Okay everyone, I've come up with one of the biomes for our moon, as well as a new kingdom of organisms with which it is heavily intertwined. Geologically, it is located in regions that expel significant amounts of chemosynthetically valuable chemicals, such as sulfates, from the ground. The organisms that predominantly grow here are in a kingdom I call Pansarcae, known as parnsarcids or "sarcs" for short. Most notably, they are extremely adaptable mixotrophs (I do wish the people who coined this term realized how lame it sounds compared to all the prefix-troph pairs) that rely on the steady supply of nourishment from a wide variety of sources, especially the substrates made available through the aforementioned geological vents.

Most organisms within the kingdom exist as part of massive symbiotic agglomerations that span and form the biomes they dominate, with all organisms within sharing the energy they produce through various means both autotrophic and heterotrophic and communicating via vast neural/vascular networks (don't worry Excidium, this will be limited to this taxonomic kingdom and the biome they dominate). Despite this hypersymbiosis, they are very diverse, with the majority of pansarcids existing as sessile mixotrophs similar to both plants, fungi, and sessile animals that span a vast range of sizes. Some sarcs, however, might exhibit more animalistic behavior, such as organoheterotrophy and high motility, though this is uncommon. Most animalistic sarcs are either slow-moving creatures superficially resembling cnidarians (don't tell Devourer), or fast-moving creatures evolved to protect their agglomerations; these are the only sarcs that pose a real danger, and only small, fast sarcs can separate from the colonial system for a short span of time, while larger fast-moving sarcs must remain anchored and rely instead on variously-weaponized tendrils to lash out at potential malcontents. Sarcs do exist outside of these agglomerative biomes, though they are sparse and located primarily in areas abundant in energy sources and free of predators. One example of a solitary order of sarcs are the Pneumogasts; docile, free-floating pansarcids that float around in the air on buoyant sacs of hydrogen, relying on photosynthesis and consumption of certain species of airborne microorganisms to survive.

We've been over dis m8. It's not hard to imagine some pneumogast species hanging to low the ground in order take advantage of easy pickings. Since they're consuming heterotrophically, there should be no issue with their fairly high degree of movement.
Last edited by Vistora on Fri May 06, 2016 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Requiem Station
Secretary

Founded: Apr 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Requiem Station » Fri May 06, 2016 11:31 pm

How about giant amoeba that consume all organic matter in their path?

They don't have to be in the plains biome though.
REQUIEM STATION
Another Ark, for Another Time.

Authoritarian quasi-fascist fanatical pseudo-utopia set in 2213
This nation exists within the glorious realm of Outer Space, where no one can hear NS stats.
Doesn't represent my views in the least.

Cumberlanda
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cumberlanda » Fri May 06, 2016 11:32 pm

Vistora wrote:
Cumberlanda wrote:
>Put lots of work into making Novaluna's biology original
>Giant bugs

(Image)

Hey... it was better than my previous idea.

Speaking of ideas, I'm fresh out.
Bundes'ka o Cumberlanda
"What are we gonna do on the bed, Max Barry?"
The Sentinel:Honestly I am looking for a better signature format because this one is hot garbage
Please look at these if you wish to comment on my nation. NS Stats are not the best.

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Sat May 07, 2016 2:22 pm

To be perfectly honest, it's fine if we don't add anything strikingly unique to the plains biomes, as they really are just mean to be generic, largely harmless ecosystems without any majorly hostile conditions.

If we have all of that pinned down, then I can contact Ashkera and start adding a biome layer to our lunar map.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sat May 07, 2016 11:44 pm

What if the plains...

Nah, I give up. No originality.

EDIT: Wait! What if the plains migrate!? They could be made up of some kind of grass like animal-ish organisms that move from area to area.

I still think that the Ark ships should have two distinct forms, the early-arriving incubators and the later sleeper and/or generation ships.

Even if you don't buy my full-speed fly-by explanation (which I still hold to be totally valid, as decelerating a small segment of a larger ship is way easier than decelerating the entire ship), we could justify it by saying the incubators are older ships launched earlier, because the tech for keeping embryos frozen for centuries was perfected before the cryo tech needed for the sleeper ships. In that case, the early arrivals would still keep their Ark ships rather than not have them, and would have bases already established, in exchange for inferior tech at the start.
Last edited by Excidium Planetis on Sat May 07, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Sat May 07, 2016 11:57 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:What if the plains...

Nah, I give up. No originality.

EDIT: Wait! What if the plains migrate!? They could be made up of some kind of grass like animal-ish organisms that move from area to area.

I still think that the Ark ships should have two distinct forms, the early-arriving incubators and the later sleeper and/or generation ships.

Even if you don't buy my full-speed fly-by explanation (which I still hold to be totally valid, as decelerating a small segment of a larger ship is way easier than decelerating the entire ship), we could justify it by saying the incubators are older ships launched earlier, because the tech for keeping embryos frozen for centuries was perfected before the cryo tech needed for the sleeper ships. In that case, the early arrivals would still keep their Ark ships rather than not have them, and would have bases already established, in exchange for inferior tech at the start.

I think that proposition is better, tbh. And I was just arguing with you about the mechanics for the hell of it. Anyways, I like it. The sleepers could have the advantage of a starter tech, while the incubes wouldn't. Also, I don't know if I mentioned it on this thread, but there may be the possibility of choosing between a single large lander shuttle to establish a well-developed colony from the get-go, or several smaller landers that create bases that are more numerous and spread out, yet less developed and harder to maintain. Not sure if we're going to implement this mechanic, but it's a possibility.

As for the plains, not really sure if that makes much sense. There would be nowhere for them to migrate, as literally everywhere else are different biomes, and I don't want an infectious plains biome that replaces others. Imagine that. By the end of the game, the entire, once-diverse moon becomes a single gigantic Kansas. Nein danke.

Ashkera
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashkera » Sat May 07, 2016 11:59 pm

Floating island plains. Floating as in the sea, not the sky.
第五大黒森帝国
Practice. Virtue. Harmony. Prosperity.

A secretive Dominant-Party Technocracy located in the southwest of the Pacific Ocean
Factbook: The Fifth Empire of Ashkera [2018/2030] (updated 18.04.29) / Questions
Roaming squads of state-sponsored body-builders teach nerds to lift. "Fifth generation" cruise ships come equipped with naval reactors. Insurance inspectors are more feared than tax auditors. Turbine-powered "super interceptor" police cruisers patrol high-speed highways.

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Sun May 08, 2016 12:04 am

Ashkera wrote:Floating island plains. Floating as in the sea, not the sky.

As in big masses of floating aquatic plants? That could work, though it would just be part of the Littoral and/or Ocean biomes.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun May 08, 2016 9:29 am

Vistora wrote:EDIT: Wait! What if the plains migrate!? They could be made up of some kind of grass like animal-ish organisms that move from area to area.

As for the plains, not really sure if that makes much sense. There would be nowhere for them to migrate, as literally everywhere else are different biomes, and I don't want an infectious plains biome that replaces others. Imagine that. By the end of the game, the entire, once-diverse moon becomes a single gigantic Kansas. Nein danke.

I imagined they would migrate in the plains biome, not out of it. Imagine most of the plains biome as just soil everywhere, with grasslands that moved from ace to place.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Sun May 08, 2016 9:32 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Vistora wrote:EDIT: Wait! What if the plains migrate!? They could be made up of some kind of grass like animal-ish organisms that move from area to area.

I imagined they would migrate in the plains biome, not out of it. Imagine most of the plains biome as just soil everywhere, with grasslands that moved from ace to place.

That would just make it a dirt biome. Besides, selective pressure would absolutely favor whatever organism could survive in vast swathes of competition-less dirt.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun May 08, 2016 9:37 am

Vistora wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:I imagined they would migrate in the plains biome, not out of it. Imagine most of the plains biome as just soil everywhere, with grasslands that moved from ace to place.

That would just make it a dirt biome. Besides, selective pressure would absolutely favor whatever organism could survive in vast swathes of competition-less dirt.

What if there was a water shortage, and the plains migrated to follow the water? Competition couldn't survive.

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Sun May 08, 2016 9:42 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Vistora wrote:

What if there was a water shortage, and the plains migrated to follow the water? Competition couldn't survive.

That would make it a desert. We have one of those.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun May 08, 2016 9:44 am

Vistora wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:

Alright, then we make the plains a subset of the desert biome. The plains migrate around the desert.

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Sun May 08, 2016 9:51 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Vistora wrote:

Alright, then we make the plains a subset of the desert biome. The plains migrate around the desert.

No

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun May 08, 2016 12:28 pm

Vistora wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:

No

;-;

Tundra Terra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2014
Corporate Police State

Postby Tundra Terra » Mon May 09, 2016 9:06 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Vistora wrote:
No

;-;

Worms all over again my friend
Current Status: Tundra is rocking with the Krieg...
We are a PMT Military and no We don't use NS stats.Why?
because..."WAR IS ETERNAL!!!"
"If bloodlust vikings, dorve tanks to school, had PMT-FT tech with Chaos -like fanaticism, this would be it."
-------------------------The Posthuman Coalition

─╤══̵̵͇̿̿̿̿╦︻ Put this in your sig if you are a war profiteer ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Mon May 09, 2016 9:07 pm

Tundra Terra wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:
;-;

Worms all over again my friend

Hehe. Some stuff, unfortunately, just cannot fly.

Like trees.

Trees cannot fly.

Tundra Terra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2014
Corporate Police State

Postby Tundra Terra » Mon May 09, 2016 9:08 pm

Vistora wrote:
Tundra Terra wrote:Worms all over again my friend

Like trees.

Trees cannot fly.

So the trees on a floating mountain doesn't count? (Avatar)
Current Status: Tundra is rocking with the Krieg...
We are a PMT Military and no We don't use NS stats.Why?
because..."WAR IS ETERNAL!!!"
"If bloodlust vikings, dorve tanks to school, had PMT-FT tech with Chaos -like fanaticism, this would be it."
-------------------------The Posthuman Coalition

─╤══̵̵͇̿̿̿̿╦︻ Put this in your sig if you are a war profiteer ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Mon May 09, 2016 9:09 pm

Tundra Terra wrote:
Vistora wrote:

Like trees.

Trees cannot fly.

So the trees on a floating mountain doesn't count? (Avatar)

Well, that would just be a corollary to "mountains cannot float"

sry

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents