NATION

PASSWORD

Mediation of the Faithful (Closed: Cornellia Only)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Mediation of the Faithful (Closed: Cornellia Only)

Postby Ghant » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:24 pm

"Progress in meditation comes swiftly for those who try their hardest" - Patañjali

OOC Thread
Last edited by Ghant on Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:24 pm

Gobernu Palace
Ghish, Ghant

Demonstrators were certainly out in force on this cold winter day, filling out the streets with their signs and banners of protestation. Emperor Nathan IV of Ghant watched them from the window of the Prime Minister Nymun Izarbegiratzeak’s office, marching down the street, clad in coats, scarves and caps to keep them warm. The Prime Minister on the other hand, couldn’t help but sigh as he sat in his chair, twiddling his thumbs.

The Prime Minister was dressed in a coal colored suede suit and similarly colored shoes, both of which seemed to match his shoulder-length grey hair. The Emperor conversely had taken to wearing a green doublet and smoking jacket with a long black scarf wrapped around his neck. A fire burned in the fireplace nearby, and while they were warm, the Emperor kept most of his winter clothes on, as he didn’t anticipate staying long.

“Something’s got to give here, Nymun,” Nathan said to the Prime Minister without turning to look at him. “Of all the fucking countries that had to ban women’s studies courses at universities, it had to be Rome and Vorindun. Not only is my sister engaged to the Kaiser of the latter, but my son and heir is betrothed to a princess of the former.” Sticking his hands out, he laughed and added, “the public knows it and is demanding I do something about it. They want me to end my sister’s engagement to the Kaiser of Vorindun and break off the betrothal of my son to Marcia of Rome. All of this over some bullshit about those countries being anti-women.”

“…They are all just upset about Gloria Regis,” Nymun responded with pursed lips. “Their anti-male policies have galvanized anti-female sentiments in their own countries.”

“They kicked the fucking beehive is what they did,” the Emperor snorted as he looked down the street. The protestors consisted mostly of university students, women and social activists. From what the Emperor had been briefed on, they were gathering in front of the Roman Consulate and the Vorindun Embassy, doing things such as chanting, blockading the buildings and even throwing feminine hygiene products. To make matters worse, the Empress was content to let demonstrations continue, given that she personally was appalled by the decisions of these two countries. “Kaiser Martin has my nuts in a vise. At least Uncle Albert had the good sense to remove Septimus’s ban on women’s studies courses at universities and on female student groups in Vorindeum. Hopefully Martin follows suit, but if he’s anything like his dickhead brother Karl, I suspect he won’t.”

“With all due respect, your Grace, your sister is urging the Kaiser to allow women’s studies courses in the curriculums, and to allow women on university campuses to organize,” Nymun said. “No doubt he is well aware of goings on here in Ghant regarding the actions undertaken by their Senate.”

Nathan shook his head all the same. “He better be fucking aware, because if he’s not I will make sure he is. I don’t want my sister to have to deal with this garbage, and I will see to it that she won’t.” Indeed, Nymun knew that of all the things that peeved the Emperor and spurred him to action, it was the welfare of his sisters. “Enough of that shit though, let’s talk about this mediation conference.”

“Yes of course.” Nymun was quite eager to get the mediation talks on. Delegates representing the Republic of Ashab, the Theology Council, Chaco, New Edom, Jedoria, Adiron, the Shrai and Ghant would be converging upon the conference room in the basement of Gobernu Palace, with Nymun hosting and Minister of Foreign Affairs Leonor Bozagua representing the Ghantish delegation. “Everyone is staying at either their embassies or any of the hotels nearby, especially the Grand Ghish Hotel.”

Nathan turned from the window, and began to pace around the room, between the Prime Minister’s desk and the fireplace burning nearby on another wall. “The mediation team consists of Adiron, the Shrai and ourselves…I know we have Leonor…but who do the other two have?”

“The Adirans are represented by Ambassador Gordon Friedman, and the Shrai by their Foreign Minister Zattem Resbruck,” Nymun answered as he poured himself a glass of tea. “Tea, your Grace?”

“Yes, please,” the Emperor countered, bringing his hand to his chin to ponder something. “…Gordon Freeman…that names sounds very familiar. Does he wear thick-rimmed black glasses by any chance? You know, like what hipsters wear?”

The Prime Minister shrugged and threw his hands up. “I wouldn’t know, your Grace. I just know that he has a very important task, as do Ministers Resbuck and Bozagua. This will be no light matter…a war that has claimed many innocent lives could end today, or it could go on and claim the lives of many more.”

“Hmm, yes…that certainly seems to be the case.” After Nymun finished pouring Nathan’s glass of tea, the latter took it and sat down on the couch beside the fire. “Do I assume correctly that the hospitality is becoming of our reputation?”

“Of course,” the Prime Minister nodded. “There’s a buffet in the other room, with all the goods, so people can eat and drink to their heart’s content before the conference, during recesses and such. There’s also catering of certain items to the conference room, like sandwiches and non-alcoholic beverages. Believe me when I say, that access to ample food and drink goes a long way in terms of keeping people happy.”

Nathan nodded as he leaned back in his seat. “Ain’t that the truth. Well, sounds like everything is well in hand. I am especially interested to see how things turn out. I’ve been hearing a lot about Ashab lately. The conflict has people talking at court. Apparently, Anjideen is a highly divisive figure, either loved or hated.”

“Is that right?” Nymun wondered, feeling curious. “Perhaps you could explain.”

“Weirdly perhaps, many people consider him a hero. Political activists, people at court, hell even some political pundits. ‘The great Anjideen,’ they say, ‘wiping away the corruption of the Theology Council.’”

“It almost sounds like you admire him,” Nymun said blankly.

“Well, he certainly is a dynamic figure, like Perrin. I sort of admire him, in a way. I mean he just...does things! He just knows what is right and does it! What a man! Funny, I feel like he’s the sort of man that my grandmother and others want me to be like. I of course, take a different view…one that’s more common among the northern elements of society.”

The Prime Minister raised an eyebrow while drinking his tea. “…Which would be?”

“Imagine if you will, that the Council is the heroic defender of Princess Anora, the beautiful maiden who is at the mercy of the evil warlord Anjideen, who keeps her prisoner in his fortress of doom. If only a true knight would vanquish him and rescue the princess from her prison!” Nathan laughed. “You see, like any true Ghantar, I sympathize with the beautiful maiden princess, and demonize any who would oppress her.”

“…That’s certainly a very Ghantish understanding of the conflict,” Nymun laughed as well. “Minus accusations of human rights violations, crimes against humanity and genocide, that is.”

Nathan finished his tea and waved a hand at the Prime Minister’s words. “Genocide, now there’s a word that gets everyone all riled up. I’ll let you guys get to the bottom of all that…I should be going though,” the Emperor said as he set down his glass, stood up and stretched. “Good luck with mediation today. Hopefully we can put an end to his mess in Ashab. Though I wouldn’t hold my breath…there are a number of belligerents that have been stoking the fires. I fear obstructionism, but then again, I fear a great many things.”

Nymun rose as well. “Very well your Grace, thank you for stopping by and chatting. It’s been a pleasure. Until next time,” he grinned as he walked towards his office door.

“Likewise, Mr. Prime Minister.” Nathan bowed slightly and scurried out of the room, and Nymun was not long after him. His meeting with the Emperor was scheduled not long before the mediation talks were set to begin. After shutting his office door, Nymun headed towards the elevator that would take him to the basement, where all of the action would be taking place. He whistled an old tune on his way down.

The basement complex consisted of a wide set of stairs that came down from the main level entrance hall, so getting to the basement from the main entrance of the palace was very fast and easy. The main room of the lower level that those steps descended into consisted of a large square shaped space filled with fat black and white marble columns that rose from a black and white patterned marble tile floor. Some guards and government people fluttered about idly, waiting for things to begin. The conference room was marked by a set of double doors, as was the banquet hall nearby, although the pair of doors on the latter room were noticeably smaller.

Being a man of great appetites, Nymun waddled in the direction of the banquet hall first, finding the door propped open by a wedge. The room was also large but not nearly as large as either the main room or the conference room, square with a red carpet covering the floor and a few glass chandlers hanging from the ceiling for décor. The tables were set with white tablecloths, plates and silverware for the nearby buffet aisle.

Available at the buffet was an assortment of food, from steamed vegetables to cool fresh fruits, lobster tails, shrimp, crab legs, steak, chicken, honey-glazed ham, deviled eggs, salad and jello, among other things. For drinks there were some light wines, tea, soda, juices and water. A few security personnel, staffers and members of the media with a press clearance were arrayed around the room, talking and partaking of the wares.

The Prime Minister ate earlier in the morning, having dined on bacon, eggs, toast, grapefruit and country-fried ham. Hence, he merely wished to survey the room, before leaving and returning to the main room. Leonor must be in the conference room, he thought as he headed in that direction. The doors of the conference room were closed and flanked by security, but they didn’t impede the Prime Minister as he entered the room.

Beneath a large crystal chandelier sat a large circularly shaped table in the center of the room upon a beige carpet, carved of mahogany wood. The light fixtures of the chandelier painted the table in a light, but left much of the rest of the room concealed in darkness, where security and staff could lurk without causing distraction. Sure enough, at the back of the room sat Leonor Bozagua, wearing a blue business dress. Her brown hair was in a bun, and she was pouring over some documents in a folder on the table in front of her. Next to that were the remains of a sandwich and a glass of tea.

“You look ready for business,” Nymun commented with a grin, observing the array of chairs and tables along the edges of the room where delegations could sit and take notes. “How long have you been in here for?”

Leonor looked up, and cast her blue eyes upon the Prime Minister. “Oh, about half an hour or so, I believe,” she smiled. “You know how these things go…the host should always arrive first, in order to greet the guests as they arrive. Fortunately, there’s still thirty minutes before we are set to begin. Plenty of time for people to get themselves situated, and get something warm and fresh in their bellies.”

“Aye, that’s certainly thoughtful of you.” Nymun noticed the placards set on the table in front of their corresponding chairs, and he went up to his beside his Foreign Minister and took a seat, sighing as he eased himself into it. The chairs were leather, causing him to sink into the cushion. It rotated as well, and he spun himself around in it once. “Ah, these chairs are so comfortable, Gods be good! I doubt I will be able to get up anytime soon.”

“…Let’s just hope that everyone else finds them as accommodating.” Pitchers of water and tea were distributed around the table along with empty glasses, and Nymun reached out for the nearest one and poured himself a glass. Servants also stood nearby, in case someone wanted something else to drink, or to something to eat, like Leonor’s sandwich, which he suspected she had brought to her. “I think it’s a good thing we have such a large room with ample space for delegations and their security. That should serve as a deterrent to anyone thinking about causing trouble.”

“Trouble? In Ghant?” Nymun laughed. “Since when does that ever happen? Besides, the Emperor isn’t in attendance, which drastically improves our chances of participating in an event without incident. He didn’t say that out loud though, not with people listening that might go to the Emperor and share what was said. “I think we have all of our bases covered…this time.”

Leonor seemed to agree, as she nodded after he spoke. “So it would seem, Nymun. My chief concern today is making sure that mediation remains objective and doesn’t get derailed. That can happen rather easily you know, especially when a party believes that its being treated unfairly. We can’t let that happen, or it will undermine what we are trying to achieve.”

Her concerns caused Nymun to smile faintly, and pat her on the back. “Don’t worry Leonor, I think we have the situation well enough in hand. All we have to do now is wait for everyone to start showing up. And that, Lenor, they say is half of life…just showing up.” Leonor had always been a grim woman, if only because she felt the burden of her station. Nymun, despite his sincerest efforts to cheer her up, often seemed at a loss.

“Well, we have an agenda at least, consisting of public statements, exchange of grievances and demands, a meeting of the mediators and negotiations. Organization and providing structure is important for these sorts of things, you know. Makes the process much easier, and keeps things constructive,” Leonor shared her thoughts on the matter, once again looking over some paperwork. Much of it appeared to be intelligence on Ashab, for the benefit of getting a clearer picture of the conflict.

“That’s good,” he agreed. “I am eager to get this show on the road.”

“As am I, Prime Minister…as am I.” Leonor went for a fresh glass of tea as well, occasionally glancing at the doors.

Aside from them talking, the room was quiet, as their security personnel had long since mastered the art of not making any noise unless it was necessary for them to do so. The doors of the conference room remained shut, and they were thick enough to block out whatever noise may have been made in the main room just outside. Standing monolithic, when they opened next, Nymun expected to see a delegation enter the room, although he was uncertain which would arrive first. The Edomites, if I had to venture a guess, he thought. Regardless, once all of the delegations were present, the mediation talks would begin in earnest. And thus the Mediation of the Faithful would begin.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

Jedoria
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:41 am

Gobernu Palace,
Ghish, Ghant

The sight of demonstrators wielding signs and banners while chanting out phrases and marching was something Decebal Bârlădeanu was starting to get uncomfortably familiar with. The Director of International Relations watched as the group of protesters marched by, clad in scarves and coats to keep them warm, something Bârlădeanu had noticed as soon as he arrived in the country. At the advice of the Jedorian ambassador to Ghant, the Director had acquired a warm charcoal grey overcoat to wear above his two piece black suit, hints of a white shirt underneath and above his belly, which protruded enough to tell people that Bârlădeanu didn't take too much care of his weight. As he and his staff rode through the roads to Gobernu Palace, Bârlădeanu tried to focus on the upcoming negotiations rather than the situation back home.

He had both dreaded and looked forward to leaving his homeland. The protests that engulfed the country made being a politician in Jedoria a very unwanted position. And the Duke's cabinet was in session nearly every day, for hours on end. The massive wave of civil unrest had taken the nation and government by storm, and it was clear that Victor Răceanu would be out of a job come election time in two years, if impeachment didn't take him out first. The left wing was in arms about the crackdowns, and the right wing saw the withdrawal as a sign of weakness. Bârlădeanu had supported the withdrawal but the current plan was far too hasty, far too sudden for the people to wake up to and just accept.

But even while he was glad to not be stuck in an endless loop of meetings, the Director couldn't help but feel like he was missing out when his country needed him. He might have been a component of foreign, no domestic policy, but he was still a civil servant. He had a duty to the people and the Confederation, and he wasn't entirely sure how useful he was being stuck up here in Ghant. While Jedoria may have been the largest of the Coalition, it's entry into Ashab was very recent by comparison, and had very little to bring to the table besides what connections between the Theology Council and the Eternal Crusade that Jedorian troops had discovered.

Bârlădeanu wasn't sure how these talks would play out. He figured that either a quick deal would be reached that saved the most senior of the Council from a firing squad, or it would drag out and the two sides would bicker back and forth. Either option probably wouldn't make some people happy, but as the song went 'You can't always get what you want'.

His driver notified the Director that they had arrived, and the overweight man prepared himself to meet and greet before the actual talks took place. As they pulled up to the palace, Bârlădeanu took a moment to appreciate the place. At the very last the Ghantars knew how to build palaces. With his staff in tow the Director made his way through the building to the conference room, opening the thick, wide doors and stepping inside. The Prime Minister of Ghant awaited him, and Bârlădeanu put on a friendly smile.

"Greetings Prime Minister, a pleasure to meet you at last." He would offer with a handshake and a slight inclination of the head. Once pleasantries were concluded he and his staff loitered a bit, taking a few refreshments and mingling as they waited for the rest of the delegates to arrive.
“We were all of us cogs in a great machine which sometimes rolled forward, nobody knew where, sometimes backwards, nobody knew why.”
― Ernst Toller

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:46 am

Gobernu Palace

When she removed her greatcoat and scarf, a delicate cloud of sandalwood rising around her, Captain Rosa Sharon wore high heeled boots, a short dark green skirt, dark stockings whose lacy tops now and then were revealed when she had to bend or lean showing her smooth tight skinned olive creamy thighs. Cello-sleek curve hips swung like a tolling bell with each click of the heels. Her green tunic was tailored and flared at her waist; modest though the neckline was it could not hide the swell of her bosom. Her dark bobbed hair framed her pretty face and lynx-sloe wide eyes. A pistol belt and ceremonial dagger completed her image. She was merely the most interesting looking of the two dozen aides and attaches that descended on the Palace to translate, analyze, interpret, whisper, coordinate and advise.

Rosa had added to the Ghantish security measures by recommending that the Council and Republican Ashabi not be in the same hotel and be kept apart whenever possible. “Don’t’ even let them share a table at the bar” she advised. “These people do not see it as dishonourable to provoke a fight with one another in the house of hteir hosts.”

Inyanna Ninduk had, through her, also advised that the Ghantish keep careful tabs on all the protesters and those who spawned them, and that restless would be lords and people with burning causes be watched and if need be delayed, halted, questioned. All travelers should be watched carefully. Ghant had had assassination attempts, kidnapping attempts and terrorism attempts since New edom had stepped up their efforts, all related to the ambitions of the instigators to rule soemting or other.

The New Edomite Navy and air Force also monitored things discreetly, echoing any listening the Ghantish counterparts were doing. A flight of “Kite” drones was moved out to sea and air supervision; AWACS was up round the clock, and a company from the 16th Mounted Light Infantry was put on standby on a ‘training exercise’ near the capital with helicopter squadron in support.

“Such excitement,” remarked Princess Ava languidly as she strolled in the wintery palace gardens with Prince Amenmar, who was holding his monkey Barsina in the crook of his arm, dressed in a little red sweater. “Is it a ball again?”

“It is the peace conference regarding Ashab, Highness,” said Prince Amenmar courteously.

“How wonderful, a peace conference to end…the war…” Princess ava said.

“Yes,” said Prince Amenmar gravely. The war.”

“Prince Amenmar,” said General Unwerth, as he approached and bowed, shuddering his tall frame against the chill. “Lord above, it’s as cold as a greyhound’s nostril out here.”

“Sir, how nice to see you again,” said Elizabeth Corbulo, who was rosy faced and wrapped in scarves and wool cap and fur lined coat, shivering as well.

“It is good to see you as well, madam Undersecretary,” murmured Prince Amenar, bowing in exchange with her, as did Barsina.

“Oh my gosh,” said Princess Ava fluttering her beautiful eyes at her in alarm. “We must get you inside,” she gestured at the Palace. “It is wonderful to see you again, Miss Corbulo. What did you have for breakfast?”

“I had bread, olives, cheese and tea,” said Elizabeth Corbulo. Thank you so much for asking, Your Highness.”

“That sounds lovely,” sighed Ava. “My breakfast was offered up as several items of roasted pork flesh, with eggs covered in butter and thick bread enough for a small horse and sour fruits. But Ghish is beautiful. I think I love Ghish, though I am not…”

“Yes, the Undersecretary and the General are not so familiar with the cold, and Barsina ever likes it,” murmured Prince Amenmar, stroking the shivering little Goblin Monkey. “We must go to the conference now, I suspect. But it would not do to be too early. Captain Sharon will let us known as the movements of the other delegates move in. We will make our entrance.”

"Do you know," said Princess Ava, as they made their way in, "I had a call from Jocasta this morning, and she was ver disappointed. She had thought she had morning sickness, but it turned out to be indigestion. How tragic."

"Alas, alas," sighed General Unwerth. "But the Heir is young."

The New Edomites were confident. They did not need to talk much of their plans, for they were clear in their minds. Even in Ava's mind it was clear. Her duty was to marry Prince Alexander and be the link in body with the Imperial Family. For the others, their roles were clear as crystal, and so Edomite fashion they were relaxing, bantering, ready for the show that would begin soon. Amenmar, Unwerth and Corbulo had been at many high powered negotiations, had survived rebellions, civil wars, terrorism, assassination attempts, coups, intrigues many times. It was almost a form of upbringing. When they arrived in the hotel they were good humoured, lauging and joking about the cold. Knowing the Ghantish leaders well, Prince Amenmar with a mingling of casual friendliness and his great courtesy made introductions of each in turn.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Republica De Gran Chaco
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Republica De Gran Chaco » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:11 am

Gobernu Palace
Ghish, Ghant

Sofia laughed at the protesters. “Look, we are attempting to end a war between five factions, and they yell worthless classes at a university. It boggles the mind!” She commented to the others riding with her in the black embassy suv.

“Well you know, I guess it is better than them protesting Anjideen. You know how these people follow New Edom.” Came the more cynical answer from Lieutenant Colonel Juan Velasquez who was peering out his window.

“Hmm, you have a point colonel, but I still think their cause is absurd.” Sofia said smiling. She changed the subject and asked, “You were just here recently, were you not?”

“I was. I came here for the midsummer ball with Assistant Secretary Ccallo. I admit it was not an event I felt comfortable in. Though I was able to arrange an exchange program with the Noviterans.” Juan turned away from the window and tried to discreetly catch a glimpse of Sofia’s long legs. She was wearing a tight black skirt that ended just above the knees and her winter coat did not come down long enough to cover her legs. Juan had heard that she had done some modeling in college before she decided on the diplomatic path, and he believed it. He had been divorced for 8 years and he had a hard time keeping himself from staring at those legs she constantly seemed to be showing off.

Sofia noticed his look but ignored it and smiled to herself, “Ah Xeina has taken a liking to you, how are you enjoying being assigned to her staff.”

Juan sighed, he hated being assigned to the Security Advisors staff, he never wanted to leave his position as a battalion executive officer, but when he was promoted from major he had been assigned staff work in Yanque. He hoped to be sent to a combat unit when the war began but he was transferred to Xeina Ccallo’s staff on her request. Xeina was a good boos to work for but it seemed like he would never leave this world of talk. “I am honored by it of course, but it was a painful thing to watch my regiment conduct a combat jump with me stuck in the capital.”

“Yes, but your job now is infinitely more important.” Sofia knew she was toying with him, but all the same still believed in the statement.”

“Of course Ms. Muñonca, and I will do my duty with everything in me.” Juan replied.

“How stoic.” Sofia mocked.

The car came to a stop and the door opened. Sofia put on her gloves and a hat that went over her long black hair. A man helped her out of the car. Juan buttoned his overcoat and put on his red beret. He scooted over to the door and stepped out. The pair walked over to the three other delegates who had been riding in the car behind them. Assistants and security orbited the group and they made their way up the steps and into the palace.
كان التيز سمين

Ashab
Spokesperson

Founded: May 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashab » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:53 pm

Gobernu Palace
Ghish, Ghant

The first Ashabis to arrive were the Council delegates. They wore their traditional robes as members of the clergy though with a few more layers to keep warm in this cold. None had ever traveled Ghant and had no idea a place could be this frigid. But the Council faced their predicament with pride and though they shivered before getting inside, refused to complain about the conditions which each other. While walking through the protesters they made sure to walk slowly with heads held high to show their character was without question. Among them, Trentanus truly felt that way. Leading the group was the dark haired and skinned Cardinal Jaasir Aydin, chief administrator to the Council. Archbishop Kevar Trentanus came next who appeared to have a bit of Roman features in him. He was taller and lighter skinned than the rest with more caucasian facial features. Currently Trentanus was in high favor in the Council for bringing General Shada into the fold as well as his diplomatic dealings with the Edomites. Finally there was Father Azzam who was Aydin's own aide and had done plenty administrating the Council's rule in its brief time as a government body. To display his status as a higher member of the clergy Trentanus wore an ornamental crucifix around his neck made out of gold. Azzam and Aydin were not keen on lavish displays and so wore stainless steel crucifixes. All of them were old portly men who hobbled over to their assigned table and sat down without another glance at the other delegates. With them were Arcani Order members dressed in sweaters, slacks and wearing their white berets. The ones they had brought along were ex-military for most of the Arcani were simply thugs drilled in religious dogma who's purpose was the enforce religious law.

"Holy Father Kurain and the rest of the Council squat in a military base with the riff raff. While we bask in the opulence of this palace. I do not feel comfortable with this." Said Azzam requested a water. Trentanus and Aydin asked for red wine. They said something to their guards who came back with full plates of food. Azzam settled with a salad.

"We follow the Patriarch's commands. There is no sin in that." Trentanus answered him.

They all turned their heads when the next set of delegates came in. All of them being recognizable faces. Representing the Republic of Ashab was Foreign Minister Nakarshid Kozadeh, Deputy Foreign Minister Haadir Hakim and Kirion Gassa who was the Chairman of the Ashabi Modernity Party. Unlike their Council counterparts the Republicans wore suits with scarves and trench coats to keep out of the cold. Their security, Republican Guard Elites, were dressed in a similar way.

"As long as we're out of that fucking cold." Hakim said while looking around. He locked eyes with Trentanus and shot him a mocking grin.

"They say not a lot happens in Ghant. I can see why. Who wants to go outside and do anything?" Gassa added.

"Apparently those protesters we passed. Strange how some countries allow such a public assembly. I must say, I was surprised to see that some of them support Anjideen." Kozadeh remarked knowing that the world had mixed feelings about him. Perspectives were as polarized as tyrannic war criminal and benevolent leader.

Kirion Gassa was the eldest among them. A businessman who owned large shares of several Ashabi industrial firms. The AMP and the Republican Regime were two sides of the same coin although it was truly Anjideen who had the upper hand. It was the AMP that supported Sararik's bid for power that ousted the Council back in the 70s. Publicly one of their platforms was democracy but in truth, the AMP just wanted a leader they could work with whether it be a dictator or not. The first order of business when the Republicans sat down was to light up cigarettes. They did not know what Ghantish customs were on smoking indoors, especially in their palace but none had any inkling it could be any different from Ashab. In their tenure as Minister and Deputy Minister, Kozadeh and Nakim had not traveled much outside of Ayaca. Kirion Gassa had been to Novitera a few times to court investors and to take out loans on his business.

Kozadeh asked the guards to grab him a black tea. Hakim and Gassa echoed his request immediately. None were hungry at the moment.
Last edited by Ashab on Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:56 pm

Gobernu Palace
Ghish, Ghant

Outside of the hotel, a pair of interns waited for the state car which would take them over to Gobernu Palace. First outside was a man in a ski jacket with slacks and dress shoes. He was Mac Rosenblum, a State Department intern sent as part of the Adiran delegation to the mediation proceedings. Friedman's schedule was mostly set, except for a few hiccups which he did his best to sort out. Luo apparently needed the state car they were going to use at the end of the day, leaving Mac to find a new driver.

Once he was off the phone, he noticed the second intern approaching him. Callie Turner had a full parka on, with a ski hat, gloves, and was clutching a hot coffee. She was an attractive brunette with a mind like a steel trap, a classic overachiever from Puerto Rojas—where it only rarely approached zero Celsius. "Why didn't he just meet us in the lobby?" she asked, shivering.

"I don't know," he replied casually. He decided not to point out that she had decided to wear a skirt. Even with tights it would be chilly to her.

"It's so cold! How does anybody live here?"

"This weather didn't even keep people from showing up to protest," Mac replied.

"All right, but where's the Ambassador?"

As if on cue something slammed into Callie's back with a wet impact. Before Mac realized what happened, he noticed a white sphere flying towards him. With only a fraction of a second to react, he sidestepped it, only for his left foot to sink into the snowbank next to him, almost losing his balance.

"Oh god it went down my back!" Callie cried, twisting to try and get some of it out of her shirt.

"Come on, we got a war to stop," a voice called to the interns.

"Yes, Ambassador," Mac replied, shaking the snow from his foot. Friedman was barely dressed warmer than normal business attire, sporting an overcoat and light gloves.

Getting in the car, they passed the protest without incident, though Friedman commented "They picked sides? Could they find Ashab on a map if they had to?" There were two other people in the car, State Department and Embassy personnel, who he commented more generally to.

"Most of the protests are directed against the Council," Callie said. "They believe Anjideen."

"This whole thing got blown outta proportion because everybody but the Edomites believed Anjideen," Friedman quipped. "Incidentally I agree with you that some of these decisions are going to be decided by everybody but the Ashabis," he said, pointing to one of the State Department people.

"How?" Callie asked.

"Because the Edomites, Jedorians, and Chacanos are the ones who control access to Ashab at this point," he said matter-of-factly. "The Jedorians got involved over alleged human rights abuses, the Chacanos want to prevent the restoration of a government once hostile to their own. Both claim the Council backs the Eternal Crusade terrorist group. The Edomites are going to counter with their claims of Christian persecution by the Republican government."

"Did you get the news article I sent you?" Mac asked.

"Yeah. Just more wood on the fire. That and everything else will have to be verified. Everybody on both sides needs to submit evidence and that evidence has to get reviewed. The investigators will use that as a jumping-off point. If that's the standard Adiron is being held to, that's what we're gonna do," Friedman replied.

Arriving at the Palace, their bodyguard detail opened the doors to the cars in the motorcade. Friedman was accompanied by interpreters, advisors, and various staff like Mac and Callie whom he subjected to the usual "tough love." Hey, if it worked for Punch Largemeat, it could work for anybody; that former aide of his was an Assemblyman now, after all.

Making his way inside flanked by his security and staff, Friedman shook Nymun's hand. "Prime Minister, we appreciate your hospitality here at Cornellia's group therapy session."
Last edited by Hittanryan on Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:30 am

Gobernu Palace
Ghish, Ghant

The cold winds always seemed to settle over Ghant, even here on the warmer southern coast. Zattem supposed that it was due to the winter that coincided with the monsoon rains on the Shrailleeni islands, but at the same time he shuddered to think of what the frigid northern regions of the small continent must be like. He was grateful for the warmth of his inner wrap, and the protection afforded by his robes of state as he and the other five members of the Shrailleeni delegation emerged from their cars in front of the Governu Palace in Ghish.

The decision to have the Shrailleeni Foreign Minister take the leading place in the negotiations was not made lightly. In the end, the Mother Empress had agreed that Zattem's extensive experience in international affairs would lend considerable weight to the Shrailleeni position. Her Enlightened Majesty, the Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs, and the staff delegated by Zattem to handle things in his absence would be more than capable of seeing to the empire's other matters in the meantime. And a peaceful outcome to the Ashabi conflict was vital to Shrailleeni interests, if only for its effect on the affairs of the empire's allies and upon the Intaki.

The Shrailleeni entered the palace in a group, each of the six delegates wearing nearly identical state robes. They were a mix of ethnicities, mostly Railti, some rubbing their hands together and flushed from the cold. While Zattem was the head of the Shrailleeni delegation, the others were each perfectly capable of sitting during the mediation process, and would likely do so throughout the occasion. The rest of their delegation would remain at the Shrailleeni embassy for the time being, acting as go-betweens until they could determine the pace and atmosphere of the negotiations.

They looked around the palace curiously as they entered, the architecture much different from what most of them were used to. Zattem noted the security details present with mixed emotions, while he appreciated their presence he had been firm on arriving without any native Shrailleeni security. He didn't believe in bringing weapons to a peace negotiation. If someone wanted the Shrailleeni delegation dead that badly, then at least they would die honestly...and knowing that their Mother Empress would never let their killers escape justice.

They entered the conference room in short order, and Zattem greeted Prime Minister Nymun with honest warmth.

"Honorable Prime Minister, it is a pleasure to see you again, and so soon after our last meeting. I hope that you are keeping well."

He greeted also the Jedorian Director of International Relations, whom he had spoken with on occasion but never before met in person. Jedorian-Shrailleeni relations had rarely required the sort of high-level diplomatic meetings that would have caused them to meet, as things had always been friendly, albeit lukewarm, between their nations. Ever polite, Zattem made a point of greeting everyone in the room, with the rest of the Shrailleeni following his lead.

Shrailleeni expectations for the negotiations were incredibly simple and flexible. The Empire didn't much care about Ashab, their economies were competitors, the Council considered hostile and Anjideen considered corrupt at best. The Empire merely wanted the fighting ended, permanently, and particularly a war between New Edom and Jedoria averted. In accomplishing this, the specifics did not matter, and to Zattem's estimation that gave them a great deal of room to work with. Zattem knew that the Empire needed to appear to care about the fate of Intaki as well, but personally he cared less about them than he did the establishment of regional stability.
أدرس اللغة العربية وهي لغة جميلة
Mother of One, Mother of All
Ask Me Anything IC
Come to the Mother's Embrace
New Edom wrote:Elizabeth Salt remarked, "It's amazing, isn't it, you rarely see modern troops that wear their 19th century uniforms and gear so well--they must drill all the time. Is this a guards outfit?"

Sif said to her, "This is a modern Shrailleeni Empire military parade. Like as in this is what they wear, this is what they use. This is it."

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:35 am

The Mediation Room

The first to arrive were the Jedorians, led by Director of Foreign Relations Decebal Bârlădeanu. Upon emerging through the double doors, he greeted the Prime Minister warmly, or so it would appear. "Greetings Prime Minister, a pleasure to meet you at last." Nymun rose from the table to meet him halfway, figuring that it would be best to hover around while all of the delegations were arriving, taking the opportunity to greet them each in turn as any good host should.

“Likewise, Director, tis a pleasure,” Nymun replied with a wide grin. When the director reached out to shake the Prime Minister’s hand, the latter returned the gesture, shaking the former’s hand in a not so tight grip. The Director inclined his head, and they idled for a time until more delegates arrived. The Jedorians, along with Chaco and New Edom, had military stakes in Ashab, making Nymun eager to see how that position would impact their designs at this meeting.

As it happened, the next batch wouldn’t be long from the chambers. Ambassador Prince Amenmar Urgolin of New Edom entered subsequently, bringing a large group of his countrymen with him, including the lovely Dame-Captain Rosa Sharon. The New Edomites seemed confident as usual, operating from a position of strength as they were accustomed to. Amenmar seemed as though he were in his element, but Nymun was eager to see how effective the man was beyond the trappings of court.

The Chacoan Delegation came next, led by Sofia Muñonca, bringing a far more modest entourage in comparison. She was an attractive woman no doubt, although the Prime Minister welcomed her as he did Amenmar, with warm greetings as he would any foreign dignitary. Granted, Nymun had little dealings with Chaco thus far, and was eager to learn about them here even if it would be somewhat limited in scope.

Of the Ashabi, the Council Delegation came first, followed by the Republic. Nymun knew of them well enough to match faces with the names. When Kozadeh asked for black tea, it was fetched for him posthaste. Others requested it as well, and thusly it was delivered with great efficiency. As he observed them, Nymun recalled what Captain Sharon told palace security, which in turn briefed him. …Recommending that the Council and Republican Ashabi not be in the same hotel and be kept apart whenever possible…Don’t let them share a table at the bar…These people do not see it as dishonorable to provoke a fight with one another in the house of their hosts.

Next game Ambassador Gordon Friedman of Adiron, with a cadre of staffers in tow. Friedman entered the room flanked by his security and staff, and walking up to the Prime Minister, Friedman offered to shake Nymun's hand, which the Prime Minister returned eagerly. "Prime Minister, we appreciate your hospitality here at Cornellia's group therapy session."

That caused Nymun to laugh, but not too loud or too exuberantly. “Yes, Ambassador, putting my doctorate to good use, aren’t I?” he asked rhetorically as he laughed some more. Ironically, it seemed as though every Adiron Nymun came into contact with had a lively sense of humor, with the exception of Dean Luo, who was the Adiran Ambassador to Ghant…and the one Nymun probably had the most contact with. Only the Shrai remain to arrive, he realized, and then they would be able to begin.

When the Shrai delegation arrived, Zattem greeted Prime Minister Nymun with the sort of warmth that the Shrai came to regard the Ghantar of late. Nymun suspected that few nations could get along so well as theirs, minus some hiccups regarding Nekulturnya and Gloria Regis of late. "Honorable Prime Minister, it is a pleasure to see you again, and so soon after our last meeting. I hope that you are keeping well."

“Indeed, Minister, the pleasure is mine as well,” the Prime Minister replied. “Thank you for coming, and welcome.” Zattem greeted Director Bârlădeanu, and gave the delegates a few minutes to get themselves situated before calling the meeting into session. After a few minutes went by, Nymun retook his seat at the part of the table in the back of the room, and lightly tapped his carved oak gavel upon the matching platform resting upon the table.

“Thank you all for coming today,” Nymun began once everyone was seated or at where they were supposed to be. “We hope that your journeys were pleasant and that your accommodations, wherever they might be, have proven most satisfying. I cannot stress enough how important it is to remember that we all want the same thing, that being peace and prosperity. So please, remember to be polite, objective and constructive. Be willing to listen, and be willing to have an open mind.”

After sipping on some tea, Nymun continued, while Leonor sat next to him reviewing some materials, and a member of her staff next to her taking notes. “To begin, I would open the table to public statements. Each party may make a public statement if they so choose regarding what they wish to accomplish here today through mediation. Each party will also be able to present grievances subsequent to that.”
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:31 am

As the Edomties moved to take their seats, Prince Amenmar bowed courteously to any high ranking delegate he crossed paths with. He noted the Chacanos' presence and knew of the reputation of their leading diplomat. Attractive, charming and dangerous. And there was Friedman, clowning to distract from his clever mind. But the Adirans' dog in this hunt was not entirely clear, especially after the interview with DeGroot. Well, that figured--the Adirans mostly wanted pressure put on the Imperium. This was a sideshow, one which the divided nations of the Region coudl at least find small enough to deal with. Though of course it was not small. The implications could set of a tremor that would cause a alrge quake.

He sat, with Barsina on his shoulder delicately playing with his longish dark hair. "Thank you very much Prime Minister for your welcome. We do salute the Empire of Ghant for providing a place for mediation. The graciousness of our hosts is wonderful. I also do thank you for the hospitality, which is exemplary and yet never ceases to impress.

"I also honour those delegates who have come--risking this chill and the distance to make peace. Your intent towards a negotiated settlement of these great questions is commendable" he sipped from a glass of fizzy water and continued. "I would like to make this clear: grievances will occur. As the Holy Book says: offenses will come, but woe to he by whom offenses come. New Edom's contention in the Ashab Civil War has been that there are means by which disputes can be resolved without war. War is a tempting solution as violence always is, when there seems no way to come to an understanding. The drain of treasure, of resources, the deaths of civilians and those under arms are terrible. At the same time i understand the honour, the concern for one's national life and the rightness of cause that prompts it. So it is admirable that the Republic and Council are represented here today, and I salute both delegations for that.

"There have been accusations on both sides. New Edom's policy from the very start was a negotiated understanding. It is possible that this was not well understood or believed by the government of the Republic. It is my sincerest hope that it is now. I hope that we can state grievances therefore in the manner I am about to."

"The government of New Edom would like to propose that the following problems exist.
1. There is no peacekeeping mission. The civil war could start up again at the drop of a hat. We must have therefore a stronger set of agreements to keep the peace.
2. There is no plan for inspecting or investigating the grievances yet. Now: these grievances--accusations of genocide, accusations of refusal to compromise with the traditional values of the Council which used to govern the country, legitimacy of each claimant to government--which could have been contracted for investigation by an independent agency.

"Those are the immediate concerns fo the Allied States."
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:07 am

Decebal Bârlădeanu took his assigned seat besides his most immediate staff with a fresh glass of water nearby, seated not far from his counterparts from Chaco and the Ashabi Republicans; it felt only natural as a belligerent party to remain close to the representatives of the side his nation had fought with. He folded his hands before him and waited patiently for the Edomites to conclude their speech. To his own end Bârlădeanu didn't have much to say. The Jedorian side of the delegation was largely there to backup the other members of the Coalition. As much as people liked to point out that New Edom, Jedoria, and Chaco controlled access to Ashab, it wasn't they who had started the war, it was the Ashabi's themselves. Without their input there would be no peace, no settlement or negotiated treaty.

The Duke had made the positions Bârlădeanu was to hold to clear; the Chacoan input was to be stressed highly as they currently held most of the initiative on the battelfield, even if the ceasefire had ended combat operations. Jedoria would continue to abide by the ceasefire and would not take any action that would lead to it's demise.

Once the Edomite had finished speaking, Bârlădeanu cleared his throat and spoke. "I would like to extend my thanks and those of my staff to our hosts for providing a venue for these talks, it is an act that is much appreciated."

"I believe my nation's stance on the Ashabi Civil War has been made abundantly clear by now through public means, so I will not waste anyone's time with needless repeition. As the Edomite delegation has pointed out though, the current situation within Ashab is held up only through the good will of the belligerent parties. A deployment of CPO peacekeepers to Ashab should be a priority for the organization."

"My nation has since the beginning of hostilities has built up what I feel is a very trusting relationship with other members of the Coalition, in particular with the Republica de Gran Chaco. As a neighboring state to Ashab, Chaco holds an extensive relationship with the Ashabi nation dating back decades. I believe their input, despite their status as a belligerent, should be heeded. Most of our homelands are separate from the southern continent by a great deal of space. The input from a state far closer than most of our own I feel would be of much assistance in these negotiations."

"My government wishes for a peaceful end to this conflict, one that is fair and leaves the southern continent in a stable and secure state." Finished, Bârlădeanu passed the mantle of conversation to whomever wished for it.
“We were all of us cogs in a great machine which sometimes rolled forward, nobody knew where, sometimes backwards, nobody knew why.”
― Ernst Toller

Ashab
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashab » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:22 pm

The Republican delegation went first after having listened to the introductions of what they thought was a weird looking man for a Prime Minister. "Wasn't it is his job before to make jokes?" Gassa had asked quietly.

Kozadeh put out his cigarette and stood while eyeing Bârlădeanu in a show of solidarity. The Foreign Minister would not make a rebuttal to the Edomite comments as of yet. As far as he was concered the Republicans were clean at the moment. Anjideen had made public statements agreeing to both a CPO enforced ceasefire, an investigation and resupply of the Council Forces through Chacano escort and observation. Kozadeh stood up straight to his full height of 5'8" and smoothed out his jacket.

"The Republic of Ashab too wishes for there to be peace. But like many of those who had civil wars before us, we know the importance of one unified nation and will accept nothing less. Ashab will be whole once again. The Republican government led by President Dorian Anjideen denies the Theology Council's right to rule any territories that were formerly Republican sovereignty. We contest it to our very core. Their place is providing religious and spiritual guidance to the people of Ashab instead of galvanizing the people against the Intaki or the rightful government. The actions taken by the Council and the military commanders that followed them are regarded by my government as a most heinous treason that has served to only bring suffering and destruction to our country. But we are not without mercy if that means putting all this behind us so that Ashab can begin to rebuild. It is only Republican values that hope to provide a secular, tolerant, open and one day democratic government to Ashab. In this vision of ours, state run industries are relinquished to private ownership for our nation's economic growth as a whole instead of filling the pockets of government officials which was proven to be the case under Council rule. In this vision, the two great religions of Ashab, Catholicism and Intak, can be practiced freely and without persecution. The Council cannot say the same about their own ends." Kozadeh said proudly then paused.

Archbishop Trentanus stood next. He was not the leader of the Council delegation but they had decided beforehand that Trentanus was certainly a better speaker. The man had a more pleasing voice and could project better. He projected through his voice and his height for he was tall both laying down or standing up. Trentanus put his hands behind his back and smiled at all the other delegates.

"For those of you who aren't acquainted with our history, the Theology Council was for a long time, the ruling body of Ashab until the Republicans usurped power first. In our time as rulers, the Theology Council has always sought to guide the people towards the Christian path and protect them from wickedness. At first we swore loyalty to the Republican Government. First out of fear for we had no choice. But as the corruption of the Sararik and Anjideen Regimes became too much to bear, the Council decided it was our duty in the name of God to act. The Republicans had stripped land from their rightful owners. Allowed foreign influences to pervert the minds of our people and induced them to stray from a holy life. Kozadeh claims that the Council's place is relegated to guiding the faithful in religious and spiritual matters. But how can we when for decades the Republicans have suppressed our voice? They say that the economy should not be meant to fill the pockets of government leaders. I point to the man sitting next to Mister Kozadeh...Mister Kirion Gassa. Chairman of the Ashabi Modernity Party, the only Political Party that exists in Ashab. Its leadership includes Mister Gassa and his cohort of wealthy business magnates who endeavor to keep Anjideen in power while he provides them with more business opportunities and looser restrictions. The Republicans may deny our right to rule but we in turn deny them having any moral high ground in this matter. We too want peace and a unified Ashab. But what good is that if its core is rotten?" Trentanus ended on that note and sat back down.
Last edited by Ashab on Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Republica De Gran Chaco
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Republica De Gran Chaco » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:11 pm

Sofia quietly listened to the Ashabi delegates speak though she sat back in the leather chair with legs crossed under the table and her head in a relaxed position as if all of this talk bored her. She patiently waited for the Arch Bishop to finish and then sat up when it was her turn to speak. She calmly sook a sip of water and then began in an almost condescending tone.

“I am glad that the Arch Bishop has brought up the subject of their history of governance. Gran Chaco was deeply affected by their so called defense of Christians.” Sofia’s voice now took on a more serious tone, “Gran Chaco has 32 million less people than Ashab and yet there are over 4 million more Christians living in Chaco than in Ashab, and despite their larger size we have as many Catholics as they do. This care for Christians that the Theology Council is claiming did not prevent them from providing arms to dissidents and terrorists in Gran Chaco, and encouraged Christians to kill one another. They attempted to destabilize my country and throw us into turmoil. This caused the Chaco-Ashab war of 1964. Many Ashabi arms were still being used by terrorists during our troubles in the mid-80s. Aside from them destabilizing the region, they also committed heinous crimes against their own people and prevented the advancement of their own country’s economy and infrastructure.”

Sofia paused and calmly took another sip of water before continuing, “Many of you have heard the distressing news of the terror attacks in southern Chaco. It was the worst acts of violence in over one hundred years. How much worse would it have been if the Theology Council was in power given their track record of promoting violence? And there is also the nightmarish stories that have come from the war, of Intakis being massacred in the last few weeks, though I begin to wonder if the world is truly interested given their lack of response up to this point. The Republicans are not perfect. What government is? But they have been dedicated to the improvement of their nation and the protection of their people since they came to power. The continent of Ayaca is a safer place with the republicans in power and Gran Chaco is committed to keeping peace and stability in the region. Also let us remember, it was them who begged for this peace while on the verge of defeat by the forces of the Coalition.”

Sofia sat back in her seat when she was finished and resumed the comfortable position that she had been in, and waited for the talks to progress.
كان التيز سمين

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:59 pm

The Mediation Table

The Ghantish Prime Minister listened to the belligerent parties air their grievances, while Leonor took notes and her assistant recorded all that was being said. Those records will prove most helpful, I suspect. The next part of the mediation process consisted of some real meat, which Nymun anticipated would get interesting. To prepare himself, he drank deeply from a glass of tea, and a few deep breaths.

“Thank you all for your introductory remarks, as well as for expressing your grievances. Now that we are all aware of how each other feel, the next step in the process is for the belligerent parties to submit specific demands that they have towards every other party. These submissions might look something like this.” With that, Nymun held up a piece of paper to serve as a general guideline for submissions.

New Edom’s Demands

Republic of Ashab:
Holy State of Ashab:
Chaco:
Jedoria:

“Once all give belligerent parties have completed their list of demands, they will be submitted to the mediators, which consist of Ministers Bozagua, Resbuck and Ambassador Friedman. Information is only to be disseminated between these parties, who will deliberate between themselves in private, in an adjoining room,” Nymun gestured towards a lone door at the back of the room.

The Prime Minister drained some more tea. “Mediators will review these submissions and discuss them in the other room, and then meet with each party one at a time. Together they will help to revise each party's demands towards terms the mediators believe will most likely lead to a peace settlement. While this process is going on, I will host a roundtable discussion for the belligerent parties here in this room.”

“If no one has any questions, we can go ahead and get started.” Papers and pens had been set around the table before the mediation talks began, and Leonor gave acknowledging looks towards both Minister Resbuck and to Ambassador Friedman. Nymun meanwhile looked around at the delegates of the belligerent parties, and wondered what they would write down for their demands of each other belligerent party. Hopefully the demands won’t be too excessive, he thought, but then again if achieving peace were easy, it would have been accomplished by now, and none of them would even be there at all. Let’s see how things go now…
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:16 pm

Prince Amenmar had been in consultation with the Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs and with the Foreign Minister about the issues and concerns. As a result of this and discussions with the Council, they persented New edom's demands.

New Edom’s Demands

Republic of Ashab: The Anjideen government must entirely cooperate with the CPO and with the international investigation. It is acknowledged that there are legitimate concerns raised by the Anjideen government such as genocide and cruelty towards indigenous persons. However it is urged that the international community be given opportunity to deal with these issues through a negotiated peace settlement. The Anjideen government is encouraged to continue in the vein it has recently begun.

The government of the Allied States of New Edom would like to guarantee the safety of Council leadership and the integrity of Council held territory being negotiated to become a theocratic State where their followers can live in peace. If this is done the Allied States of New Edom would be most willing to sign treaties of recognition of the Republic of Ashab and new territorial boundaries.

Holy State of Ashab: It is urged that the Holy State recognize that there are legitimate concerns such as genocide, and that they should cooperate with the CPO and its investigation. The Holy State must also come to an understanding with the Republic and adopt a more peaceful stance.

Chaco: The Republic of Chaco is commended for its stance as a go-between for peace. It is understood that their nation is rightly cocerned about disruptions of security over their borders. We hope that they will acknowledge the legitimacy of the Holy State.
Jedoria:Recent peace initiatives by the Confederation are much appreciated. We hope that they will bring about greater peace. We appreciate the zeal for dealing with human rights issues and hope that the Confederation will at the same time acknowledge the need for a people to be able to determine the way they wish to live. We would like acknowledgment of the territorial boundaries of the Holy State of Ashab.
Last edited by New Edom on Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ashab
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashab » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:40 pm

Demands of the Republic of Ashab

As expressed by Nakarshid Kozadeh, Foreign Minister of the Republic of Ashab

Against the Holy State of Ashab...

It is the belief of the Republican Government that the Holy State of Ashab is an illegitimate political entity and that their insurrection against the rightful government of Ashab constitutes high treason.

First, the Theology Council must unanimously declare in a public statement that the Republican Government under President Dorian Anjideen is the rightful national governing body of Ashab.

Second, the Theology Council will order all military forces including all senior military officers under their command to unconditionally surrender to Coalition or Republican forces.

Third, the Theology Council will denounce any continued Ashabi opposition against the Republican Government as an illegal act of treason.

Fourth, the Theology Council will denounce the Eternal Crusade as an illegal organization and order all its members to disband.

Sixth, all members of the Theology Council shall surrender themselves to the custody of the Republican Government.

Against the Republic of Chaco...

The Republic of Chaco has been of great assistance to our country in quelling this rebellion. We understand that Chaco has sustained significant losses in life, materials and finances in fighting the Council forces. For all this the Republican Government is immeasurably grateful. Chacano contribution in Ashab's hour of need will not be forgotten. However, there are some matters that must be settled for the future of our nation.

First, at the conclusion of the conflict we wish for the Republic of Chaco to release all prisoners of war that previously fought for the Theology Council. We ask that all captured military personnel of the rank of Colonel or higher as well as any who fought as irregulars with the Eternal Crusade be transferred to Republican custody directly. This includes any who may surrender as a result of the peace settlement.

Second, all military equipment captured or confiscated by Chacano forces is property of the Republic of Ashab. We ask for the return of this equipment with the condition that the Republic of Ashab will reimburse shipment costs.

Against the Confederation of Jedoria...

The Confederation of Jedoria has been of great assistance to our country for having crossed the great seas and fighting on our behalf. We understand that the Confederation has sustained significant losses to life, materials and finances in fighting the Council forces. For all this the Republican Government is immeasurably grateful. The Confederation's contribution to Ashab's hour of need will not be forgotten. However, there are some matters that must be settled for the future of our nation.

First, at the conclusion of the conflict we wish for the Confederation to release all prisoners of war that previously fought for the Theology Council. We ask that all captured military personnel of the rank of Colonel or higher as well as any who fought as irregulars with the Eternal Crusade be transferred to Republican custody directly. This includes any who may surrender as a result of the peace settlement.

Second, all military equipment captured or confiscated by Confederation forces is property of the Republic of Ashab. We ask for the return of this equipment with the condition that the Republic of Ashab will reimburse shipment costs.

Against the Allied States of New Edom...

For a brief period, the Allied States of New Edom and the Republic of Ashab were at war. It is the wish of the Republican Government to build a lasting peace with New Edom and to receive assurances as to the future of our political relationship.

First, at the conclusion of the conflict we wish for the Allied States to release all Republican prisoners of war.

Second, the Republic of Ashab wishes for the Allied States to formally recognize the Republican Government as the rightful national governing body of Ashab.

Third, the Republic of Ashab wishes for a four-year term nonaggression pact with the Allied States.

Demands of the Holy State of Ashab

As expressed by Cardinal Jaasir Aydin of the Theology Council

Against the Republic of Ashab...

The Holy State of Ashab was formed in response to Republican deviation from Christian values, confiscation of property from its rightful owners and its civil rights abuses.

First, Council wishes for the Republican Government to create a semi-autonomous protectorate around Temethis where the Theology Council can govern according to religious principles.

Second, the Republican Government shall grant all members of the Theology Council and all military commanders who fought for the Council with the rank of Brigadier General or above-immunity from prosecution for all charges in regards to their conduct before and during the conflict. This includes but is not limited to treason and any charges arising out of possible war crimes allegations.

Third, the Theology Council and its members shall remain as the ruling body of the Ashabi Catholic Church (as it was before the conflict) and this new Temethis Protectorate.

Against the Allied States of New Edom...

The Theology Council expresses its gratitude to the Allied States for coming to our aid in the conflict. If need be and depending on the outcome of the peace settlement, the Theology Council requests asylum in New Edom for its members and senior military officers.
Last edited by Ashab on Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:10 pm

Demands of the Jedorian Confederation

As stated by Director of International Relations Decebal Bârlădeanu

Against the Holy State of Ashab...

The Theology Council must acknowledge the Republic of Ashab as the lawful governing body of Ashab and it's people, and must acknowledge the lawful leadership of President Anjideen.

The Theology Council must fully cooperate with international investigations into the allegations of war crimes, human rights violations, and attempted genocide against the Intaki people.

The Theology Council must reveal the extent of it's relationship with the terrorist group known as the Eternal Crusade, in order to ascertain whether cooperation between the two was simply a matter of convenience or rather an established working relationship between the two.

Against the Republic of Ashab...

The Republican Government must cooperate fully with the international investigation into the accusations of human rights violation and persecution of Christians in Ashab.

The Republican Government must move to establish an official end of hostilities between the Republic of Ashab and the Allied States of New Edom.
― Ernst Toller

Republica De Gran Chaco
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Republica De Gran Chaco » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:49 pm

Demands of Gran Chaco

As expressed by Pedro Samayani Picha, Minister of Foreign Affairs

Holy State of Ashab:
1. The Surrender of all Theology Council military forces.
2. A new Patriarch to be elected in Ashab
3. New Cardinals selected to positions on the Theology Council
4.The Theology Council forms a new charter that must include the following:
a. The recognition of the Republican government as the legitimate rulers of Ashab
b. Condemns and bans violence against Non-Christians.
c. A pledge to never take political power of the nation of Ashab
d. A pledge to never support any combatants of any conflict except to supply military chaplains to the Ashabi Armed Forces.
e. A recognition that the Eternal Crusade is an illegal terrorist organization.
5. To condemn the Eternal Crusade and its actions against the Intaki people.
6. To Excommunicate all members of the Eternal Crusade who have continued fighting after the date of the cease fire, or remain part of the EC after the signing of the peace treaty.

New Edom:
1. The withdrawal of all military forces from Ashabi territory.
2. The recognition of the Republican government as the legitimate rulers of Ashab.

Republic of Ashab
1. To repatriate all prisoners of war held in Chaco.
2. To not punish soldiers who served in the military of the Theology Council.
Last edited by Republica De Gran Chaco on Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
كان التيز سمين

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:10 pm

The Mediation Table

Leonor’s assistant was a girl by the name of Karla Ezkarra, a plucky young woman with thick black hipster glasses over small blue-green eyes, and with short brown hair. Once the five delegates representing the belligerent parties had completed their lists of demands, Karla walked around the table and cooped them all up into a pile. She delivered said pile carefully to Leonor, who nodded as she tucked them into a manila folder.

“Thank you for taking the time to write out your demands of the other parties,” Nymun smiled faintly as his beady brown eyes scanned the delegates. “Minister Resbuck and Ambassador Friedman, if you would be so kind as to join Minister Bozagua in the adjoining room,” he gestured again in that direction with one of his large hands. After organizing her papers, Leonor got up from the mediation table and walked in the direction of the room, which was flanked by guards. She made her way inside and left the door open for the others to follow.

The adjoining room was a smaller, more intimate setting than the room it was connected to. It featured a round table not unlike the other, although this one was closed and could seat roughly half as many people. There were some lamps on corner tables in each of the corners of the room, as well as a few paintings and bookshelves to give the room a comfortable, quaint feeling in the typical Ghantish sense. Leonor took a seat at the table, and set her folders upon it as she helped herself to the pitcher of water beside the pitcher of tea.

Once Minister Resbuck and Ambassador Friedman were in the adjoining deliberation room, Leonor opened her manila folder and handed them the lists of demands, giving them the opportunity to read them first. “Please, Minister and Ambassador, review these demands, internalize and analyze them, and share your thoughts regarding them. Once we have discussed them to our collective satisfaction, we will begin to call in each party to go over the demands with them.”

Back in the main room, the Prime Minister put his arms on the able and folded his hands together. “The mediators are now reviewing the complied list of demands and are in the process of deliberating them. At this time, if there are any issues any of you would like to discuss, please feel free to bring them up, provided they are objective and constructive in nature. Or, if you would like to take a break, you may do that as well, and enjoy the hospitality that Ghish has to offer.” So far so good, Nymun thought. Shocking, I know…
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:31 am

Mediation Room
Ghish, Ghant

Friedman listened to the opening statements with obvious interest but without much by way of expression. He had raided the buffet on the way in but didn't eat anything while in the talks themselves, keeping his plate nearby with a cup of coffee that would inevitably stain the top paper of his stack of reports. Eventually they all submitted their demands and they were whisked into the back. Friedman had introduced himself to Resbruck, who he believed had never found out about that rolling pin incident. Even if he did, he'd managed to pin the blame on staff.

Arriving at the back room, Friedman set his plate down and periodically chewed thoughtfully while he spoke. He didn't speak with his mouth full and had very good table manners, but it was clear this was a working lunch to him.

"Overall here's what I'm seeing: reality has set in for the Council," he said, cutting a piece off of a lobster tail. Awfully high budget they had here. "They and the Edomites will settle for a piece of the pie rather than the whole thing. If they had demanded recognition as the sole legitimate government of Ashab, we'd have a bigger problem. But they didn't. To an extent they've already effectively conceded Anjideen's legitimacy. On top of that the Edomites have renewed their calls for a thorough investigation of all combatants."

"Doesn't mean partition is going to be easy," he said, gesturing to the others with a fork. "Anjideen's playing hardball. He agreed to mediation because the Jedorians pressured him, but I wager he doesn't necessarily care if the talks stall or break down entirely since he knows damn well he's got the Council between a rock and a hard place down on the front lines."

"Anjideen and the Chacanos effectively want the Council to disband after they lay down arms. The Chacanos want sweeping changes in Council leadership and doctrine in the interests of their own security, while Anjideen wants the Council leaders in his custody. Partition will be an uphill battle. I can't imagine the Council much relishes the idea of being a tiny breakaway state bordering a much larger hostile nation with no standing military forces and no remaining experienced leadership. They still want a piece of the pie, not crumbs," he said, stabbing at a bit of salad.

"So we'll need to get both sides to take a settlement that neither one really wants. In other words: compromise," Friedman said with a sigh, popping a bit of cantaloupe in his mouth, allowing the others to weigh in. "There's a phrase that sticks out to me: 'semi-autonomous.' We need to find out more about that. How autonomous would they be? What's acceptable to both sides? Which of the national government's powers would supersede that of the state's? What powers does the Council retain? Would the Council recognize the Republic as the legitimate national government in exchange for this state of theirs? Suppose that in exchange for their autonomy, they make changes to their charter in line with the Chacano proposal? What Council leadership changes would be acceptable?"

"I'm not saying this will be perfect the first time we bring it up, but we gotta start somewhere," he said, taking a sip of coffee. "I want to know the answers to those questions."
Last edited by Hittanryan on Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Ashab
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashab » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:18 am

As soon as the introductions were over with, Kozadeh looked to Hakim and Gassa. "Fetch our friends will you. Then go entertain their delegates while we talk." He said with a grumble from Gassa who resented being ordered around. Hakim approached Sophia conspicuously with a charming smile. "Miss Muñonca, Mister Kozadeh invites you to join him at his table to discuss matters of import." He said to her.

Gassa went to Bârlădeanu. "Sir, Foreign Mister Kozadeh would like you to join him at his table to discuss the coming negotiations." He said bluntly.

While they left, Hakim and Gassa sat down at the Chacano and Jedorian tables respectively. They opened up some folders just to go over minor details and make pleasant conversation.

The Council was with initiative as well. Aydin nodded to Trentanus who made his way over to the Edomite table. He waddled over and bowed to them. "Good day to you all. I had such a pleasure at the King's Birthday despite an unfortunate altercation I'm sure you are all aware of. Apologies again. Deputy Minister Hakim really knows how to bring out my temper. May I join you?" Trentanus asked, eyeing a seat.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:27 am

The Council

Undersecretary Corbulo inclined her head. "How nice to see your Excellency again. I believe you know General Unwerth?"

The tall bronzed craggy faced Edomite officer in his dark parade dress uniform inclined his head. "Your Excellency. Interesting times since the birthday eh? And warmest congratulations on your promotion."

Corbulo continued, "And I do not know if you have met this gentleman, the head of our delegation--Archbishop Trentanus, Prince Amenmar Urgolin, Their Majesties' Ambassador to Ghish."

Barsina regarded Trentanus with wide simian eyes from Prince Amenmar's shoulder; the Prince bowed, smiling. "Your Excellency. How delightful. Well I think you have seen a good example of Ghant's best kept secret: the wisdom of its Prime Minister. A fine start I should think. Oh and do excuse me--I must introduce one of the most valuable members of our staff here, Captain Rosa Sharon, who is our liaison to the Palace."

Captain Sharon lowered her head, her eyes dropping in respect.

"One thing we're not really sure of, you know, is the exact territorial boundary you'd like to claim," said Elizabeth Corbulo.

Ashab
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashab » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:54 am

Trentanus inclined his head to Unwerth. "We may have met in Padan-Aran but my memory fails me. I have heard of you by reputation of course." He said, recognizing Edom's Chief of Military Staff. One by one he said his greetings to the other delegates then took a seat, smoothing out his robes as he did.

"Yes a fine man I can see though a bit strange looking. I hear he has...a charmingly peculiar character." Trentanus commented on the Prime Minister of Ghant. "Your country has very strong ties with Ghant I can see. Is it an honor or a punishment in New Edom to send its officers to this frigid place?" He said while looking at Rosa then threw up his hands. "I only jest! But this country certainly is not a place for the tropical breed like ourselves."

Then it was time to answer Corbulo's question. Trentanus sighed and frowned at that for dramatic effect. "At best, we can hope for Temethis and its outskirts in the form of a semi-autonomous state. This is wishful thinking I believe. In fact, that was one of our demands. But we demanded it as more of something that the Republicans would have to negotiate down and to give our side more bargaining chips. I am sure Anjideen is threatened by New Edom. He may concede if he were standing alone. But alas, he is not alone." He looked to the Chacano and Jedorian delegations. "With Chacano and Jedorian protection, the Republicans will refuse and in truth why shouldn't they? General Shada may win on the Central Front but the Council will be overrun and captured by the Chacanos facing us in the Northwest. Then Shada's cause becomes moot. While in Chacano custody, we would be forced to tell him to surrender and he would listen. That was why we sued for peace in the first place. We were going to lose."

"So I ask this in turn, what is New Edom prepared to do if the Republicans refuse such a proposal with Jedorian and Chacano support? They have and we should assume, will, use force to make sure the Republican Regime survives. My delegation has come to this mediation with the realistic expectation that what we'll get out of this is pardons and asylum to another country. For the Council members and perhaps a few key senior military officers."
Last edited by Ashab on Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:35 am

Bârlădeanu shifted in his chair at the Jedorian table for the seventh time in ten minutes. Despite being a civil servant and agent of government policy the Director was a restless individual, both by nature and thanks to the recent civil unrest that had gripped his own nation. He was half tempted to rise and start pacing back and forth, but decided against that. Instead he simply creased some folds in his suit and went over a few papers his staff had for him. The Jedorian demands had been rather simple; agree to the investigation and acknowledge the Republican 'mandate of heaven' as the Hostillians would call it.

He wasn't all too surprised when the Ashabi known as Gassa came up to him and requested he join Kozadeh at the Foreign Minister's table. Bârlădeanu nodded and got up, moving to join the Republican official. He sat down at the table of the aforementioned and smiled. "Never figured we'd end up meeting in Ghant, eh Foreign Minister?" Bârlădeanu said. Despite his borish face and girth he had a sincere looking smile and friendly, if beady, eyes.
― Ernst Toller

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:48 am

"Yes a fine man I can see though a bit strange looking. I hear he has...a charmingly peculiar character." Trentanus commented on the Prime Minister of Ghant. "Your country has very strong ties with Ghant I can see. Is it an honor or a punishment in New Edom to send its officers to this frigid place?" He said while looking at Rosa then threw up his hands. "I only jest! But this country certainly is not a place for the tropical breed like ourselves."

Rosa laughed lightly, flashing white teeth in her olive skinned face, and said, "I find it brisk, Your Excellency, but I agree, I would find it strange to live in such a place forever. Of course it is even colder farther north, if you can believe that."

"Captain Sharon is a remarkable woman," said Prince Amenmar. "Last year during Emperor Nathan's tour of northern Ghant, there was an attempted abduction and rebellion, an attempt on the Emperor's life. Captain Sharon personally saved the Emperor's life, both with first aid and coordinating a retreat from the rebels to one of our planes, which managed to get him to Landstrider AFB and get him medical attention. She was given one of Ghant's highest honours for this."

Then it was time to answer Corbulo's question. Trentanus sighed and frowned at that for dramatic effect. "At best, we can hope for Temethis and its outskirts in the form of a semi-autonomous state. This is wishful thinking I believe. In fact, that was one of our demands. But we demanded it as more of something that the Republicans would have to negotiate down and to give our side more bargaining chips. I am sure Anjideen is threatened by New Edom. He may concede if he were standing alone. But alas, he is not alone." He looked to the Chacano and Jedorian delegations. "With Chacano and Jedorian protection, the Republicans will refuse and in truth why shouldn't they? General Shada may win on the Central Front but the Council will be overrun and captured by the Chacanos facing us in the Northwest. Then Shada's cause becomes moot. While in Chacano custody, we would be forced to tell him to surrender and he would listen. That was why we sued for peace in the first place. We were going to lose."

"So I ask this in turn, what is New Edom prepared to do if the Republicans refuse such a proposal with Jedorian and Chacano support? They have and we should assume, will, use force to make sure the Republican Regime survives. My delegation has come to this mediation with the realistic expectation that what we'll get out of this is pardons and asylum to another country. For the Council members and perhaps a few key senior military officers."

Corbulo listened gravely. 'Yes, the concerns you raise are important. We've been concerned about them too. Which is part of why we had recommended that at least one member of the Cardinals should be here..." she sipped her water and contemplated. "What kind of an edge would your government need...if we can just speculate a moment...in order to have a chance at holding some but not all territory in Ashab?"

"I'm not sure that's fair to the Archbishop, Undersecretary Corbulo," said Amenmar with a lift of his eyebrows. "How can he speculate? It is a false hope I am sure."

"What I mean, Prince Amenmar, is that it is important that the Republicans think that they could have a longer harder war with an uncertain outcome," she pointed out. "That could cause them to have more realistic ambitions. So Archbishop I was just wondering, theoretically, what would make that more likely, from your poitn of view?"

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents