NATION

PASSWORD

From the Ashes(FT, ATTN: Krosana)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Taledonia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 08, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

From the Ashes(FT, ATTN: Krosana)

Postby Taledonia » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:47 pm

(OOC: Not entirely sure how open this is, but I'm thinking that if you want to join in, send either Krosana or myself a TG with an idea of how you could get involved, and we'll see.)

As the twitching died away, so too did Damien's laughter, replaced with a philosophical appreciation. How interesting space was, so calm, so quiet, so vast. Myriad species declared themselves masters of space, and yet they were nothing in the face of it, particularly when ejected into its dark, eternal embrace without any means of injecting yourself with oxygen. Like a doll absentmindedly tossed away, spinning in a dizzying struggle before finally coming to a limp rest. And such a pretty doll it was! Lush dark curls that cascaded down her slender frame to touch the small of her back now floated about like sluggish snakes moving like molasses to escape their former huddle; big doe eyes that now stared lifelessly into the distant Krosanan sun, insulting its glory with their inattention; high, proud cheekbones that had left a mark on his knuckles when she had shown her first bit of defiance. Yes, these Krosanans, as they called themselves, were a pretty sort of savage. Even the men seemed lovely, and would fetch a high price among those with a taste for that sort of thing. No matter what you were selling, there was always a buyer somewhere.

"Close the airlock," Damien said, disinterest lightening his tone considerably as he turned away from the window.

"I didn't get my turn!" came the brutish hiss of one of his companions. A large man, pushing seven feet and as thick as a house, with one dark eye and one cybernetic implant, a shaved head, and a scar that ran from neck to navel. "I wanted to rip that lil' piece in two!"

"Come come, Asterix," Damien soothed, "There are plenty of others. Take your pick."

"I wanted that one!" the big man roared.

"Well, you're welcome to go fetch her, Old Sport" Damien chuckled, and propelled himself up the ladder, the artificial gravity having already been disabled in preparation for the phasing. "Come now, we must get into our beds. Can't be letting nightmares into the ship, now can we?"

"I wanted that one," Asterix grumbled again, and with some further choice words he followed his captain into the crew quarters.

"Cap'n" another brute greeted them as they passed the helm, "They've found what we left 'em, and seem to of found us as well."

Pushing off a bulkhead, Damien glided towards the crewman, catching the chair to bring himself to a halt. "Have they identified us?"

"They may just be fishing for rads, but it'll lead 'em to us shore as you know it, cap'n. I give us a few hours before they really take after us."

Damien nodded at that, but his attention was taken with the display before him. The merchant freighter, once full of crew and merchandise, now floated as a shelled husk, surrounded by floating corpses and broken debris. It had been a sweet action, that, Damien recalled it all now with the golden light of memory, and the appreciation of a sadist. They'd approached under friendly colours, feigning need and promising trade of fine wares for essential supplies to see them to the nearest port. It had worked well enough to get them well in range, and then the guns had been revealed and brought to bear, and the lads had crossed over into the newly created openings. A good haul, as well. Several tons of equipment and wares, and twenty prime cuts of flesh for the slave markets. A very pretty people, indeed, and Damien praised the Spirits again for having led him to this beautiful fishery, unknown to the other crews back home. He'd like to keep it that way. "How long until we phase?"

"An hour, cap'n."

"Ah," Damien grinned, "Then nothing to worry about, Old Sport! I'm off to pods, make sure you set us right before joining us."

"Aye, cap'n"

---------------------------------------

The Dardanelle
sped through the void, running black and unseen with its hull lights off as it approached critical velocity. The crew and cargo suspended in dreamless stasis, the ship's computer activated the phase-shift, folding the fabric of reality and taken the pirate skiff beyond the physical realm into that formless, timeless sphere of thought and emotion that was the Immaterium, leaving behind it a young girl. Naked, frozen, dead. She floated through space alone, her dead fingers fastened tight around a cigar butt she'd grabbed from her captor's lips as he'd flung her into the airlock after having had his way with her. The rosy tip had long since extinguished, leaving a perfect extension of ash that ran down towards a golden label. A label that told of the fine quality of Dover tobacco, harvested by hand in the heart of the Consortium. Yes, friends, there was no finer tobacco in all of Taledonia!

Krosana
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 22, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Krosana » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:06 am

They waited silently outside of the ship. Their Ocelots were far away, stuck on some slow-moving asteroid. Right now, Ade and Cuea were planting a tracking device on the hull of the Dardanelle. 'Why aren't we striking this a MAC again?' Ade said as he fixed the controls. 'They want to where in the hell these pirates are coming from. Then when we find their star we can destroy it. It's simple.' Cuea replied. Ade primed the nanobots to spread throughout the ship and gather data about the ship to send the Paladin Station, the head of Krosana's military operations in space. They started to use their packs the get back to the ship. 'Shame about that beautiful ship though'.
Last edited by Krosana on Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taledonia
Diplomat

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Taledonia » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:20 pm

"Seems th' drugs didn't take on this'un" and with a boot to the face, or what was left of it, the point was driven home. "Hate te see what was dreamed up by this'un. Looks like it was a right ol' shreddar."

Damien grimaced. Five prime slaves butchered, all because the dosage wasn't right for one of them, allowing whatever nightmare happened to be passing through the prisoner's head to coalesce in the Otherworld. "Well, whatever it was, at least it couldn't get past the bulkheads. Get this mess cleaned up, and jettison the corpses."

"Aye, cap'n."

The Dardanelle slid silently through space, it's thrusters firing forwards to begin the week-long deceleration from near-luminal speeds, bringing them ever closer to the brilliant maelstrom of colour that was the Kereth system. In ever shifting hues of blue, green, orange, purple, gold and red, the all-encompassing nebula sparkled as if a billion suns were illuminating the most intricate stained glass that was ever blown. A beautiful shroud that both protected the Consortium and ensured it remained mired in all manner of piracy and criminal activity. And with the Royal Navy absent fighting the Winged Fleet in the Alivant, the situation had only been compounded. It was a new golden age, and there were even whispers of gang wars brewing; ambitious crime lords with delusions of restoring the Brotherhood and claiming the ancient title of Void King. Nonsense, Damien thought, but at least it meant there was a number of markets he could peddle his wares.

"Aye, and they sure are a pretty people," he re-affirmed with a smile.

Krosana
Spokesperson

Postby Krosana » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:12 am

The nanobots spread faster throughout The Dardanelle and were able to finally get its location.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Back on Paladin Station...

General Rteta Wanatabe looked gleefully at the monitors as the nanobots located The Dardanelle's position in deep space. Soon the monitors
all turned green indicating that the ship was in the Kereth System. She almost immediately mobilised an expeditionary force, (Numbering about 50 000 Soldiers) to go to the Kereth System.
THE FORCES
2 Full Guardian-Class Ships, Armed Completely
1 Full Venator-Class Ship, Armed Completely
2 Full Dante-Class Ships, Armed Completely

Parliament voted has already for and approved the attack, although Premier Kaneda doesn't approve of it.

The 3 Ships all stayed in the outer part of the system and dispatched smaller ships to fin Intelligent life. Soon about 3000 Eagles, XR-4s, XR-2s, Falcons, KV-56s, and Vengean were swarming through Kereth, looking for the source of the pirates.

'Damn pirates, we've lost over 80 ships to them. This is where the last we detected ship went.' Said the General Rteta as she put on her power armour.

'I suppose we shoul- WHAT IN THE NAME OF JULIANOS?!! What is up with this system?! ' She said as she saw the mess of a nebula that was the Kereth system. 'Well I guess we're stuck here...' (Slipspace portals only work when light can effectively pass between the target and the current location.)
Last edited by Krosana on Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

Taledonia
Diplomat

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Taledonia » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:35 pm

"What do you make of this, Lieutenant?"

Captain Pullings drew the attention of his first officer, Lieutenant Sjorken, to the holographic readings being displayed before the captain's chair. It depicted the distorted pings of a lone vessel as it entered the Kereth nebula and began navigating by the buoy system. "Can't be sure, kaptein, but these days merchants do not travel alone."

"Precisely my thinking, Lieutenant. Damn me, but it's a sorry time for the Consortium when we can't even properly patrol our own territory."

"But surely you agree the navy is needed in the Alivant, sir?" Sjorken protested.

Pullings did not agree, in fact, and was of the growing faction that believed the Zarithian War to be illegal, the King in the wrong, and the resources of the nation grossly misappropriated. "Quite right, Lieutenant. It's a wonderful thing we're doing, keeping those Zarithians blockaded in their ports. Leaves more piracy for us, which of course means more opportunity for prize money." That, at least, was the truth of it. "Let us investigate, Sjorken."

"Ja, kaptein." Sjorken replied, and left to relay the orders to the various section heads, bringing the HMS Honour Bound, a 6th rate ship-of-the-line, onto an intercept course with the distant Dardanelle, and unknown to both, an international incident.

Krosana
Spokesperson

Postby Krosana » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:52 am

The ships navigated through the Kereth system, trying to make a rough 3-D map of the nebula with advanced cameras, while others headed for the sun study to the anomaly. However other saw the pulsing light that was Taledonia. It's huge population made it clearly visible. A Dante-Class ship confronted Honour Bound As Strike Commander Reza Tanaka said 'Pirates, stop right there, you are under arrest for piracy and destruction of Krosani property!'

Taledonia
Diplomat

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Taledonia » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:06 pm

Pullings curled his lip in affront, and gave the bridge quite a scowl. "Where do they get off!" he demanded of no one in particular. "The cheek! The absolute cheek!" He muttered a few more outraged statements to himself, before finally regaining his officer's cool. "Lieutenant!" he barked, "Raise shields and beat to quarters. Broadcast the colours, and open a direct channel.

"To the unidentified party, you are infringing upon Taledonian sovereign space, under arms, and have made a demand of a King's ship. With the authority vested in me as captain of this vessel, I demand that you halt all maneuvering, power down all weaponry and defenses, and prepare for a boarding party which be dispatched to ascertain your identity and ensure your compliance. Be forewarned, that any moves to resist will be taken as a criminal act, and will result in your being classified as a Rogue element, upon which I will have full authority to seize or destroy your vessel."

Krosana
Spokesperson

Postby Krosana » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:21 am

Commander Reza angrily replied 'I repeat stop immediately or we will fire!' Various smaller ships began to surround the Honour Bound. 'You pirates have ten seconds to respond, or we will fire!'. The Dante-Class cannon charged up to an supernova-like level of heat and the targeting computers followed the Honour Bound's every move.
Last edited by Krosana on Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taledonia
Diplomat

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Taledonia » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:58 am

"Lieutenant, send a warning shot past their bow. Have it detonate just close enough that it leaves a black mark on their hull, but no damage to the vessel, if you please."

Pullings had had enough of this outrageous situation, and was going to end it.

"To the unidentified vessels, this is your last warning. Surrender immediately or be destroyed."

Krosana
Spokesperson

Postby Krosana » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:53 am

General Rteta Wanatabe interjected the conversation with an Alpha Cannon blast to the ship's generators. 'We do not negotiate with pirates... I've already got my license to declare war on you turds. Major Hirohito, set a course for that bright planet over there. We need to hit 'em where it hurts.' 'Yes ma'am.' Hirohito replied 'ETA: 60 minutes.'

Taledonia
Diplomat

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Taledonia » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:36 am

"Brace brace brace!" came the cry from all stations as the ship shook under the impact of the alpha cannon. Klaxons sounded the alarm, and as the initial shock subsided and the crew realized that the shields had held and there was no breach, they adopted hard expressions, fully committing themselves to the thought that they were to see action here and now. The officers could be heard giving assurances. Steady now, lads. Attend to your stations. Check your instruments and be ready.

"Mr. Sjorken," the captain's voice was an icy knife in the tension, "How do we stand?"

Lieutenant Sjorken was moving from station to station, gathering all the information he could from the section heads as he moved about. "Mine Kaptein, the first layer has dropped, and the second has activated. Engineering reports that one of our generators has blown, and they'll need a few hours to make it operational again."

Pullings nodded. It was a stout ship, his Honour Bound. "Very good, Mr. Sjorken. Bring us about and set us on their stern. Full starboard broadside, if you please. Let us rake them, and show them that one shot will do nothing against a King's ship. The very cheek, firing upon us and then moving off. Do we have any guesses as to their destination?"

"On that, Herr, we can only assume they're heading for some unknown port. Their trajectory is away from any planetary body, and the buoys aren't pinging anything ahead. They seem to be roaming blind, Kaptein. Though if I may offer a personal opinion?"

"Surely, Lieutenant, I'd appreciate any ideas."

"Well, Kaptein, I don't feel these interlopers are indeed pirates. The fact that they didn't flee at first sight of us suggests this, and by the way they're navigating haphazardly, it would suggest they are not affiliated with any criminal bodies operation within the Kereth system. Further, our scanners are showing spikings in the nebulonic cloud. Our systems know it isn't anything of ours from the coordinates, but to them it may appear as a planet. My suggestion is that these tåber are either en route to a hidden port, or they are moving at random."

Pullings thought about these two options, and considered that either did not bode well. "So they're either pirates heading to their hidden base, or foreigners who have stumbled into our homeland and decided to shoot up the place. Either way, let us request reinforcements from the Admiralty. Appraise them of the situation, and keep them up to date as the situation unfolds."

------------------------------

As the Dante-class ship moved off towards what they assumed was a planet, the HMS Honour Bound maneuvered itself behind them, presenting its full broadside to the enemies rear. As the guns came to bear, they fired off in pairs, sending explosive rounds hurtling through the brilliant hues of the nebula at a dizzying speed, the blasts and recoils of the guns unnervingly silent in the void of space and yet the warship itself was pushed sideways at every discharge. Two, four, six, eight, ten and twelve, all firing in an orderly procession, the first pair firing their second volley just as the twelfth discharged its first, and the whole wave of ordinance continuing on and on, sending hundreds of pounds of high-explosive lined metal at the Krosanan warship.

Krosana
Spokesperson

Postby Krosana » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:26 pm

The shells hit the rear of the Dante-Class ship, its engines. The engines exploded, releasing a wave of deadly radiation and heat, killing quite a few soldiers. Alarms go off in the ship that are not heard, due to the fact most of the air had been sucked out by the vacuum of space, along with some soldiers as well. Soldiers and crew alike began navigating to other ships, thanks to their life-saving power suits. Some found their spaceplanes and began attacking the Honour Bound, a soon a smaller but more powerful Vigilance class ship struck the Honour Bound with a beam. The Dante-Class plummeted towards the Kereth Star and was destroyed.

Taledonia
Diplomat

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Taledonia » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:33 am

"Dear me," Sjorken let slip, as he watched the destruction of the enemy vessel. Pullings could only frown. There went the extension of his estate that would surely come from the prize money of that craft.

"A bit too overzealous on the firing, Lieutenant," he chided.

"Absolutt, Kaptein, my apologies."

The ship shook as it was hit by the Vigilance class beam, the energy weapon being powerful enough to make it felt even as the shielding dispersed the power. The new vessel had managed to sneak up through the fog, and was now on their flank, while survivors of the wrecked craft that was now listing towards the sun had taken to fighter craft and were zipping about hitting the Honour Bound with strafing fire and explosives.

"We're registering more pings from the buoy network, Captain," came the call of a crewman. "Several more ships inbound."

"They've not taped into the buoys yet, Kaptein," Sjorken reported, bringing up the details as they came available. "This means they're in communication with one another."

"These aren't pirates," Pullings concluded morbidly, "This is an invasion. An invasion of the Consortium, the outrage! Relay this to the Admiralty. Take us out of here, Lieutenant, we aren't outfitted to fight off an invasion force on patrol requisitions. Keep firing as the guns come to bear, and fire some grape to get rid of those fighters, but get us out of here now! We need to link up with command and join the organized defense."
---------------------------

The Honour Bound began to pull away from the fight, its guns switching from the ship-to-ship rounds as they could no longer fire upon the starships they were leaving behind, to the canister shot that was used against small craft. These canisters, fired at incredible speeds from the cannons, would detonate and release hundreds of metallic marbles which would spread into clouds that could shred even the toughest alloys at the speeds they were traveling. Much like giant shotguns, they discharged round after round, creating clouds of death around them to destroy or ward off the fighter craft of the invaders.

For the first time in its history, the Kereth system had been invaded by an outside force.

Krosana
Spokesperson

Postby Krosana » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:27 pm

On Krosana...
'Minister Fujikawa, I really don't care what it is attacking us! We need to get rid of these pirates no matter what!' Premier Kaneda yelled at the top of his lungs to his Minister of Defence. 'Yes, sir' Fujikawa calmly said, maintaining her cool, even in this tense situation. 'I'll send for a third of our forces to go this star system.' His position had changed almost immediately when the media said he was 'The weakest and most fence-sitting premier Krosana has ever seen' and he was 'a stain on the reputation of the Conservative-Democrats, Krosana's oldest party'.

REINFORCEMENTS
30 Guardian-Class Ships
50 Vigilance Class Ships
500 XR-2s
10 000 XR-4s
1250 Vengeance Fighters
7000 Eagle Fighters
2800 Falcon Fighters
300 Ocelot Stealth-Fighters
38 000 Owl helicopters
14 000 Fuujin helicopters
7 000 KV-56s
5 000 Tarantula Tanks
2500 Wolf Vehicles
7000 Wolverine Vehicles
1500 Olympian Mechs
5 000 000 Troops
10 000 000 Astronauts
2 000 000 Pilots
(Reinforcements to arrive the post after next)

General Wanatabe led her fleet of Eagle fighters to the station. 'This is a beautiful system' She said. 'Perhaps it'll be ours soon. All right, Ade, Cuea, let's board this thing.'
Last edited by Krosana on Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taledonia
Diplomat

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Taledonia » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:42 pm

"Do we know whom it is that is invading us?" the High Lord asked, his bushy brows furrowed in indignity and his great mustaches slightly elevated in a snear as he faced the First Lord of the Admiralty across the council chamber. "I should like to know how it is that a foreign power has managed to enter Consortium space without our knowing of it."

The room was quiet, all the lords of the council knowing full well that that sort of question was merely meant to insult the Admiralty, as the Kereth nebula made it impossible to know much in system. It was the both the bane and boon of the nation: a dense electromagnetic cloud that both obscured and protected the system. Admiral Sir Humphrey Singleton, First Lord of the Admiralty, stood there in the crisp blue of the navy, his golden epaulettes denoting his rank in all their splendour, while his face drooped slightly under the chastisment of the High Lord of the Council. "I must offer apologies on behalf of the service, my Lord," he began, his deep baritone somewhat diminished by the shame he was feeling, "But with the majority of our commanders away in the Alivant, with the King Himself having taken further squadrons with him as reinforcements just recently, the Royal Navy simply doesn't have the assets to properly patrol the Kereth system at this time."

"And so due to poor planning on the part of the Admiralty, the Consortium sits undefended? Is that what you have to report to this council, Sir?" taunted the High Lord, once again knowing full well that this was now insulting the King's own authority as well, which caused some murmuring amongst the assembled lords. "Need I remind you that the protection of our homeland is the first priority of the service, and that so far you have not proven effective in this regard."

Sir Humphrey's cheeks burned crimson at the outrage being done to him and the service, and with thinly veiled contempt replacing the shame of a moment ago, he declared righteously that the valiant crew of the HMS Honour Bound had successfully intercepted the invaders, destroying one of their vessels and slowing down the rest, while ensuring that they were still moving about blindly in the nebula chasing spouts of light and tricks of space. "As we speak, my Lords, all available captains are converging to form an effective squadron, which, when assembled, shall be more than a match to throw out these invaders, whomever they are. This is our system, my Lords, and with the buoy system being disabled in the regions nearest the last known enemy location, they don't have a hope of doing anything to harm us."

An elderly gentleman stood with the help of his ebony cane, whose dark wood was carved in the likeness of a bird of prey. "I do wonder, Sir Humphrey, whether it is acceptable that we have no information about our foe. Certainly a military man such as yourself can understand the need for good intelligence. I ask, my dear Lords of the Council, whether it would not be prudent to dispatch a few sloops, or whatever the Admiralty deems wise, in order to not only ascertain the numbers and location of these invaders, but also to attempt a dialogue with them. I find it very odd that so much effort should be spent in attacking us if there is no reason for it, and knowing the motivations of our foes could only prove useful."

The council seemed in agreement with this, and clapped their approval. "Very well," the High Lord concluded, "Sir Humphrey, on behalf of His Majesty's government, I charge you with seeking out these invaders and attempting to find a diplomatic solution to this affair." He paused, a small smile creeping onto his face as a decadent thought occurred to him. "My Lord Von Sydow," he addressed the elderly statesman, "I can think of no better candidate to represent the Consortium at these talks. May you make haste to join up with whichever vessel the Admiralty deems fit, that you might defend our nation with your wise words."

Krosana
Spokesperson

Postby Krosana » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:03 pm

The Expeditionary Fleet has arrived, along with a few scientists and spectrographs aboard to analyse the system, to try and find a planet to invade, finding out that they simply need to change cameras to a gamma-ray wavelength, or to observe from a distance, and observe a planet's gravity bending light around Kereth. It's seemed that gamma-ray tuning had worked best and, after finding the largest body with almost no gamma rays, but many microwaves and radio waves, Command had said that, according to the Calculator, there was a 97 percent chance of this planet being inhabited by advanced life. War had begun.

//OOC: Science, bitch!
Last edited by Krosana on Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taledonia
Diplomat

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Taledonia » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:07 pm

Lord Harald von Sydow stood within the observation deck of the HMS Bluetooth, the only first rate ship-of-the-line currently stationed in Kereth. His clothes, like his dignity, were of quality cloth in simple colours; not ostentatious at all. The dark ebon cane highlighting the elegance of the dull grey that was his double-breasted suit. His thinning hair was combed carefully over his head, while his sharp grey eyes pierced the thick cloud of the nebula before him as if he deigned to view the entire cosmos by sheer will alone. Somewhere in that brilliant mist of shifting hues that conjured demons and angels within the imagination as it swirled about in playful patterns, was an unknown enemy that he alone had been sent to meet. "Alone? You foolish old romantic," he chided himself aloud, "Alone but for the hundreds of spacers manning the dozens of warships converging silently through the cosmic mists."

A gentle beep, beep, beep filled the room, its tone more melodious than impatient. "Yes, Captain?" von Sydow asked the room.

A sonorous voice, gruff and commanding and completely out of character to the accommodating and almost apologetic tone of the speaker, "Apologies, my Lord von Sydow, but the last buoy ping we allowed through has brought us in range of the enemy armada."

Harald pursed his lips and took a sharp breath. Too late to turn back now, he told himself. "Do they know we're here?"

"They've made no corrections in their destination as of yet, my lord, but if we can pick them up on our instruments then it's to be assumed they can as well, or will shortly."

Harald scanned the cosmic cloud, still attempting to receive a visual of his target. It had come as a great blow to his confidence when the nav-buoys had first pinged the new arrivals, an armada nearly a hundred strong. They'd sat on the edge of the system, obviously hoping to advance more prepared than their vanguard had been, and had ultimately plotted a course towards Bliss, whose orbit had placed it first on the path of the invaders. Bliss, the industrial heart of the Consortium, a beautiful target for an invasion force.

With one last glance out the windows, Harald turned and began his slow shuffle towards the door. "I shall join you presently, Captain."

----------------------------------------------

HMS Bluetooth, 92 guns, slid forth with all the majesty of a Royal Navy flagship, cleaving the rainbow mists as it prowled towards the Krosanan armada. It came alone, its guns shimmering in various colours as it caught the celestial light, illuminated by the blue sun that pierced the nebulonic cloud, and broadcasting the Taledonian flag on open frequencies so none could mistake its identity. It moved at half speed, giving the impression that it was not shy, but wasn't intending to fire the first salvo.

Officer Commanding
Unknown Armada

Salut!

You have entered sovereign space, belonging to the Taledonian Consortium, under arms and have engaged one of His Majesty's starships. In the interests of avoiding further conflict, His Majesty's government implores you to accept his ambassador, Lord Harald von Sydow of Nightvale, into your presence to discuss this tense situation. The HMS Bluetooth stands ready to dispatch a transport with his lordship to your flag, and will maintain a position fifty kilometers from your fleet position to ensure the dignity of His Majesty's representative.

We await your reply, but caution that any further progress into our sovereign territory, as well as any hostile maneuvering against HMS Bluetooth, will be considered an intentional act of war taken against the Consortium, upon which you shall be designated as lawful targets for destruction.

Sir Arthur Bradsford
Admiral
HMS Bluetooth

Kostemetsia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kostemetsia » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:34 pm

:: System warning: Downtransit imminent

Charlotte had never actually felt a ship shake before. It wasn't supposed to happen – the common wisdom was that if you were hit hard enough to feel a noticeable tremor, your structural integrity had been compromised and you were already dead. Of course, the great(?) thing about FTL drive was that if an eddy in the continuum came along, the ship could shake any damn which way it wanted, without regard for the constraints and safety margins of its design.

The salvation of the situation was that unplanned eddies in open space were, as far as anyone knew, impossible in open space.

At least, as far as anyone had known until now.

:: System warning: Anomalous realspace interstice input exceeds designated margin of safety

She frowned. That was basically nonsense.

:: System warning: Automatic downtransit in 20 seconds

If a person were to look out of the prowler's cockpit right now, with unaided eyes, they would see nothing but starless blackness. Many had reported feeling a sensation of rushing. Some swore on the Bible that they could just see the texture of space, redshifted into visibility, centimetres from the hull. It was psychosomatic. Two hundred years of space travel had proved it, countless ships entering hyperspace with reinforced high-resolution visual sensor arrays left active (against protocol and insurance rules). They'd all had the same result: between the uptransit and downtransit flash, it was six zeroes of utter blackness in all directions no matter how far you went.

Charlotte, however, looked out in a different spectrum. To her cybernetically enhanced vision, the hyperscape was dark green, overlaid with bright green lines of gravitic force. On an ordinary day those lines looped endlessly out to the vanishing point, representing a smoothly and functionally sustained transit path. Right now they were warping and flexing like mad, the product of a drive core whose computational limit had been reached and decisively overtaken by 'realspace interstice input' that 'exceeded designated margin of safety'. Stupid lowest-bidder piece of shit!

:: System warning: Automatic downtransit in 15 seconds

“Damsel,” she spat.

:: System notification: Codeword order accepted. Transmitting flight data to Fleet Command

At least someone would know. Oh yes, Charlotte thought grimly, someone would know. Conjector would get there in a week's time, and then it would haul ass out here with a full strike group to recover her little prowler. An awful lot of pomp and circumstance for what would most likely be quark-fine ashes scattered across the cosmos by collapsing-field annihilation.

:: System warning: Automatic downtransit in 10 seconds

She keyed the PA. “Pilot to all hands. Brace for contingency downtransit.” The return messages were thick and fast. She didn't answer any of them.

:: System warning: Automatic downtransit in 5 seconds

:: System warning: Automatic downtransit in 4 seconds

:: System warning: Automatic downtransit in 3 seconds

:: System warning: Automatic downtransit in 2 seconds

:: System notification: DAMSEL executed successfully

:: System warning: Automatic downtransit in 1 second

The downtransit flash was blinding, and the gravitic kick as the overstressed drive core struggled to knit together the edges of the failing superlight vortex and realspace was immense, three successive whacks slamming into the ship with tsunami force. For a sickening moment, Charlotte didn't expect them to clear, expected nothingness – and then they were gone, replaced by the starfield twinkling in front of her, wheeling slowly as the badly beaten ship's nose drifted aimlessly, knocked off course by the drive kick.

She took a breath. “All hands, report.”

The twenty or so voices of her crew, phantoms in her ear, ranged from curious to shocked, but nobody sounded badly hurt. The medical readout which followed agreed – the worst injuries sustained had been minor bruising from someone slamming their hip into a table during the downtransit. The ship itself – that could be another matter. She queried an engineering readout, fighting back the urge to clench her jaw.

It wasn't as bad as it could have been. The ablative armour on each side of the stern had been badly seared by the downtransit radiance, suffering a mass reduction of thirty percent. Several wideband EM sensors, mostly in the rear left quadrant, had suffered disruption to their notoriously fragile new-style mountings and were now out of communication with the ship's central computer. In addition, the rear of the ship's three dorsal turrets had been jarred out of alignment and wouldn't have more than about forty percent range of motion.

The worst problem was with the FTL drive, and it wasn't physical. If it had been physical she'd have known – she'd have been floating, not comfortably accelerating deckward at 9.8 metres per second squared. A cursory glance at the readout made the problem clear – the unexpected return to realspace had left the drive sensors out of sync with the local spatial substructure. They were locked out of FTL until the drive was sufficiently recalibrated to ensure that the ship wouldn't convert directly to realspace energy kickback equivalent to its own mass upon attempting to jump. That was a problem that couldn't be solved – there were maybe a dozen people in the Commonwealth sufficiently cleared to override an uncalibrated drive, and Charlotte wasn't one of them. It would be done when it was done.

In the meantime the priority was to make the ship secure, to figure out where they were, and, above all, to figure out what had forced them to come down. It couldn't be far. She ordered a full active sensor sweep, and the result was almost immediate.

A battle had been fought here, recently and violently. The sensors easily picked up the energy trace of a mid-power alpha-cannon blast, along with some other exotic weapon traces not logged in the database, and that was nothing compared to the dozens of explosive rounds that had been detonated here. As the sweep radius moved further out, one of the casualties of the battle became clear – one ship had altered course toward the system's lambent primary, trailing radioactive wreckage as it went. There was no sign of the ship itself. Perhaps it had fallen into the star.

It was a compelling explanation for what had torn them out of FTL – the EM hellstorm of radioactive detonations, combined with the fact that the battle had been fought within arm's length of a star, would have triggered the safety heuristic, alerting the ship's computer that the star was much closer than the drive's internal sensors were reporting. A conclusion drawn, naturally, from a high density of unexpected radiation seen through a microscopic crack in the fabric of the universe at exactly the wrong time. The ship had brought itself down.

More worryingly, however, the ship did not appear entirely alone. With the drive's almost infallible mass sensor suite offline, it was hard to know for sure – but at the edge of conventional sensors, the return what appeared to be a capital ship moving under power into the site of the previous battle – with a shock, Charlotte realised that the prowler must have dropped out of FTL almost in the geometric centre of the battle zone. The incoming vessel didn't seem particularly shy – the ship picked up a powerful broadcast wave coming from them. It was the same message on every band, in a recognisably human but unknown encoding; the ship's communication heuristic automatically went to work analysing it, but it would be a while before it was done.

The situation became clearer and clearer, however, as the ship picked up another constellation of objects at a short remove from the first. Different profiles – two different factions – maybe the two factions of the original battle. The new constellation's drive signature had striking similarities to the profile of the radioactive wreckage that had fallen into the star. Neither of them were at all similar to anything registered in any Commonweath database. Automatically assigned FXC faction tags dropped into Charlotte's schematic view: MELODIC THUNDER for the capital ship, BOUNDLESS HAND for the constellation. Whoever they were, MELODIC THUNDER and BOUNDLESS HAND seemed intent on facing off – and she was caught in the middle.

:: Priority notification: Security heuristic recommends silent running

Charlotte sat up straight, a near- electric shock running through her. “Are we transmitting?”

:: Notification: ID transponder has been transmitting since downtransit

:: Notification: Comm suite has been signalling distress on all bands since downtransit

“Oh my God.” It wasn't good. The prowler was a tiny ship, not suited for battle, but its communications gear was powerful enough to light up any comm detectors like a sun. The broadcast would certainly reach the opposing factions – the only question was how soon. She couldn't imagine their reaction would be positive. Had she been in the place of either of the commanders, she would have pegged her for an incautious enemy scout, and, at the very least, effected her immediate capture. “We need to go.”

:: System warning: Primary thruster complex is cold, but spinning up. Spin-up will be complete in two minutes, forty-one seconds

“I don't have that much time.”

:: Notification: Primary drive will be available in two minutes, thirty-eight seconds

She'd never thought so fast. “Do we have thrusters?”

:: Notification: Yes. Secondary drives Aft 1 through 4 are available

“Fire all thrusters full. Engage ancillary stealth protocols. Shut down all outgoing communications and active sensors. Withdraw heat discharge fins. Baffle reactor signature.” Make us invisible, and get us out.

There was a tiny kick, and her own little dot began to move ever so slowly across the warzone display. She clenched her jaw, one hand curling as she watched. It was a matter of whether she would be too far away to bother with by the time the unknown ships received her signal wave. The primary drive would come online in minutes, but even then, she couldn't be sure it would do her any good.

When they realise we're here, let's pray we're not.
Last edited by Kostemetsia on Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Commonwealth (FT)
factbook | embassies and trade | CAFRI: 69 (Excellent)
background music requests

Krosana
Spokesperson

Postby Krosana » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:01 am

Brigadier Henrik sat on the bridge of the Orion, thinking as all of his superiors had left to survey, and possibly attack Bliss. There was no way he could radio them, due to the vast nebulous cloud that was blocking comms. He had sent an XR-2 to chase after them, but he needed to respond quickly. Such was the art of war. He sends back a broadcast: 'Consortium, this is I, Brigadier Henrik Linna. I... accept your ambassador, however, the invasion of one of your planets is inevitable. Krosani generals are already heading for one of your planets, and it seems there is no way to rectify this. What do you recommend?'
Last edited by Krosana on Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taledonia
Diplomat

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Taledonia » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:07 pm

Brigadier Henrik Linna
Unknown Armada

The navigational buoys spread throughout the nebula have been disabled due to your presence. We will now reactivate a selected path, which will allow you not only to make contact with your commanders, but also briefly ensure their position and good standing. It is expected that you shall order them to halt their progress, and make no further hostile actions towards Consortium lands, assets or peoples until negotiations prove fruitless.

Please relay information of your command vessel, including docking procedures and internal atmospherics, that we may properly prepare the ambassador for transit. We stand ready to receive.

Sir Arthur Bradsford
Admiral
HMS Bluetooth

"The first glimmers of hope, Captain," Harald commented, watching the message being relayed from the command podium. "Perhaps this can all be cleared up with words."

Not wanting to disagree with a Lord of the Council, Sir Arthur Bradsford lowered his bushy brown brows in consternation. "I'm entirely convinced of your powers of persuasion, my lord."

Yes, thought Harald, entirely convinced. Your gruff, sardonic tone brims with confidence! "I do wonder, Captain," he asked "Whether it is prudent to give them a glimpse with the buoys?"

"Not to fear, my Lord von Sydow. Our forces are not within operational range of any of the buoys we shall be activating. They will see their own forces only, not ours. The odd trader or pirate, perhaps, but the sector has been ordered clear. I doubt anyone is foolish enough to get between two opposing fleets."

There was the brief cry of an alarm, followed by a multitude of technical and scientific readouts appearing upon the holographic displays of all relevant work stations. Bradsford rose from his chair, standing to his full 6'3, and barked out his request for information.

"Some sort of anomaly has been detected, 78 kilometers off the port bow, 36k aft. Some sort of tremendous energy surge, Admiral."

"So I shall not even have a chance to speak," Harald remarked remorsefully, watching as Sir Arthur called up his own holographic display and ran through all pertinent information streams being relayed by his crew.

"I don't think this has anything to do with our foe, my lord." He read quickly, moving his lips slightly as he scanned the streaming reports. "It doesn't match the energy signatures we've recorded so far. This is something else, something new."

A secret weapon, opined the Bluetooth's first lieutenant. The buggers were unleashing some explosive device, surely.

"I cannot agree, Mr. Stiggs," Bradsford replied dismissively. "No, this seems like...but damn me, it seems like a ship! Quite unlike those we've seen so far."

Bradsford pondered for a moment, then jumped to give orders. "Mr. Stiggs, send to Brigadier Linna, assuring him that this is not of our doing, and inquire if it belongs to his government. Impress upon him that should it belong to him, then it is a poor show of cooperation in light of our attempts at diplomacy. Otherwise, broadcast the following towards the new vessel:"

Anomalous Entity

We have noticed your anomalous signature, and while cannot fully ascertain your presence, are entirely convinced it is there. You are hereby ordered to make yourselves known to us, else we shall ignite the area of space around you in as much hellfire as we can muster, which is a significant amount.

Sir Arthur Bradsford
Admiral
HMS Bluetooth

Krosana
Spokesperson

Postby Krosana » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:49 am

The Brigader pulled up his Information Processing Unit, a device that attached to his arm and pulled up all relevant, unclassified information of the ship and began to transfer it to the ship's computer, when alarms rang of the stealth ship passing by. Rather than notify the crew of it's presence, he sent the message, donned his power suit and flew to it in his personal Ocelot stealth fighter and began to chase at full speed.

Kostemetsia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kostemetsia » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:12 am

:: Priority notification: Incoming message

Charlotte blinked. “Source?”

:: Response: MT-1. 85 kilometres distant on heading 065 mark 002

A waypoint flashed in her vision, and the incomplete sensor return buildup of MT-One popped up in a callout and rotated for a couple of seconds before disappearing. She slumped back into her seat, staring out at the stars, one hand on the yoke. They'd seen her. The profiles of both sides had looked particularly nasty, as they tended to do when you were in a small, virtually defenceless ship in the middle of nowhere. She couldn't think of anywhere she less wanted to be.

A worse possibility came into her head. MELODIC THUNDER had been the first to communicate with her. There was now the possibility that BOUNDLESS HAND would incorrectly tag her as a MELODIC THUNDER stealth unit and shoot her down. Why couldn't it be the side with more guns that could have seen her? One ship against an entire fleet. She didn't fancy their chances. “Message content?”

:: Response: Unknown. Message encoding is novel. Reconstruction in progress

“Report status of weapons.” Even on a good day, the armament of the average prowler was pitiful – although this was much more than an average prowler, in Charlotte's opinion. This ship had been serving in the Exploration Division for ten years before she'd had the opportunity to get into the pilot's seat. It had been armed to all of its tiny teeth. If there was a prowler that might survive today, this was it.

:: Notification: Heavy cannon 1 and 2 report functional but inoperable due to safety lock

Of course. With the FTL drive out of calibration, the ancillary fields would be out of whack. They were still holding, clearly – down was still down – but with the structural integrity field at less than one hundred percent, there was a decent chance that firing either of the class five rail cannons fixed forward along the ship's sides would cause a hull breach. It was the blessing and the curse of the prowler: the ability always to jump out of trouble. If you didn't have that, you had nothing – in this case, almost literally. They'd have to fix it as soon as possible – but that would require seeing out the next few minutes.

:: Notification: Autocannon 3 reports inoperable due to structural failure. Autocannons 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7 report ready

Well, that was a relief. They could still fill the sky with small-calibre machine gun fire, which, admittedly, if you were heading into it at full relative velocity with no shields and a glass windshield, might even be a minor threat –

:: Notification: Drive core reports sufficient power for CFA induction

She snorted aloud. “Why is that even an option?” As far as she knew, no other class of ship had ever come out of a Commonwealth shipyard with an active suicide circuit installed in its drive. She had visions of some ten-year-old on a tour, a century from now, falling over and landing on the wrong button, and then it would be “good night, moon”. Not on her watch.

:: Notification: Contact incoming under power

With a jolt, she sat up. “Detail.”

:: Response: BH-81. 51 kilometres distant on heading 323 mark 022, approaching under moderate acceleration. Smallcraft. Sensor take suggests stealth design

She found the shape of the words, “Stand by to repel boarders,” went to key the PA –

:: Priority notification: BH-81 acceleration increasing toward projected nominal maximum. Vector analysis suggests attack posture

“Christ!” The cockpit view was shading midnight blue, and she looked out on a world of contours, stars muted or invisible, everything wireframe, and the glowing red star that was Contact BH-81 rocketing toward her, just visible at the far left edge of her vision. The prowler's sensors had an incomplete take on BH-81, and considering her massive fleet of origin, they couldn't afford to fire on her. If they couldn't get into motion soon, she might well crash into the prowler. “How long until the main drive is ready?”

:: Response: Drive spin-up will be complete in 7 seconds

Charlotte's hands moved almost of their own accord, setting the basic manual controls in the cockpit, hands preparing to wrap tightly around the yoke – she could have flown, and in fact might have been wiser to fly, using the illusory tactical display that her implants could project, but she'd always been wary of it. What about in case of EMP? What about stray flak hitting exactly the wrong transmitter relay? The manual power steering, running through its armoured duct, felt a lot safer.

There was only one solution. One faction had responded with a fighter, the other with a message. “Vector on MT-One. Arm the drive.”

:: Priority notification: Insufficient power for real-time compensation. Nominal maximum acceleration locked at 7 g

“Acknowledged.” On a good day, this ship could pull a hundred g. Today was not a good day – but she'd been going for this long and she was damned if she was going to go down without a fight. As the prowler's nose came around, the white star which indicated MT-1 floated into the centre of her vision and stopped, dead centre.

She keyed the PA. “Brace for manoeuvring. Ten, nine …” She looked over her shoulder, her tactical display still active, providing her with a beautiful view of BH-81's contact trace superimposed over the hull, bigger and badder, coming up right behind. An airless, frictionless vacuum was the perfect place for a drag race. “… two, one.”

Even with the slow taper-on imposed by the safety lock, the kick was brutal. As her vision started to blur, she closed her eyes, switching to forward visual sensors, a cybernetically calm and clear view, not staticked by the increasing g's. She felt as if she could see details beginning to resolve on MT-1, even though it was nowhere near close enough for the resolution of the human visual cortext. As if responding, the sensor call-out came up again, more detail slowly beginning to resolve. Still nothing to make sense of. Damn this cloud.

:: Priority notification: MT-1 message decoded. Text-only, 60 words, no encryption

She read it over quickly, noting “anomalous entity” with a flash of pleasure. At least they hadn't figured her out immediately. The prowler was good for something, even against total unknowns. Still … the message was refined, almost to the point of stuffiness, but the warning about hellfire came through clearly enough. The prowler couldn't take on a capital ship on a good day, never mind today, which was especially concerning considering she was rocketing right toward them. “Open a channel,” she croaked, throat and lungs punished by the relentless acceleration. “Forward quarter. Voice only.”

Mayday, mayday, mayday, HMS Bluetooth, this is CNS Fenster Actual – mayday – closing with you under high acceleration, potentially hostile craft in pursuit. Acquiring escape vector. Do not fire.
The Commonwealth (FT)

Taledonia
Diplomat

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Taledonia » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:16 am

"Well this is a damn awkward situation," Bradsford shook his head in consternation. "We shoot, and perhaps this CNS Fenster has friends in the area; one invasion force is quite enough in our present state."

"And yet if we allow them safe passage, it implicates us in the eyes of our foes." Von Sydow finished the thought. "A curious predicament, Captain, but perhaps one full of opportunity."

Bradsford cocked his brow and turned to the elderly statesman.

"Perhaps," Von Sydow continued, "We can presume to invite them aboard Brigadier Linna's vessel. The commander can satisfy himself as to our having nothing to do with this, erm, stealth ship, and we gain a witness to our parlay. Perhaps these people will have a sympathetic side, and should it prove true that they have friends in the area, perhaps these friends will lend a hand to a people wrongfully invaded."

Bradsford smiled. Here was a true political animal! He didn't know if he should applaud the man, or release him from the airlocks to save the Consortium from realpolitik. It was a quick decision, and as quick as the crew could manage the Bluetooth transmitted an open message to both the Krosanan fleet and the Fenster.

Brigadier Henrik Linna
Unknown Armada
&
Officer Commanding
CNS Fenster

Mayday received and verified. Official request, in the spirit of amity, that pursuing craft make no hostile efforts towards CNS Fenster, and that they alter course to escort ship and crew aboard command vessel to meet with Brigadier Linna and His Majesty's representative. His Lordship Harald von Sydow of Nightvale shall depart presently for the submitted location to established an official dialogue.

While it is stressed that the appearance of the CNS Fenster is indeed a surprise to ourselves, it must be stated that as travelers within the Kereth system, they are officially under the protection of the King's Law, and thus falls under the protection and responsibility of His Majesty's Royal Navy; until such a time as they may be proven of hostile or illicit intent. As such, it is again officially requested that your pursuing vessel turn from action station and aspire to escort CNS Fenster aboard your flag.

Sir Arthur Bradsford
Admiral
HMS Bluetooth
Last edited by Taledonia on Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krosana
Spokesperson

Postby Krosana » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:44 pm

Brigadier Linna surveyed the stealth ship, collecting various information about length, width, and engine type. He finally docked back at the mothership and transferred the information to the ship's computer, and a Hologram that resembled his father, a great war veteran loaded. 'Good morning, sir!' He said in a familiar accent. 'Would you like me to analyse these specs?' The Brigadier sipped his coffee and nodded. 'Alright, let's see... this ship seems to have a similar design to Commonwealth ships.' 'Ah yes, the Commonwealth... we've only had a few of their ships in our system before, replied the Brigadier. What do you suggest, Wright?' 'I suggest we order them to surrender and demand a turn over of their crew. A rather aggressive stance, yes, but this is very suspicious. It may be those pesky Movess disguised as a ship of a different nation.' At the worst, it was a arrogant move, but our ship was certainly larger and more threatening. He brocadast a message demanding that the prowler turn off all weapons and dock in the Krosani Command Ship.

Kostemetsia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kostemetsia » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:20 pm

:: Incoming message from HMS Bluetooth. Text-only, 151 words, no encryption

Charlotte read over the message. First came the initial wash of relief. They spoke Common and they understood 'mayday'. It might not have been a WHITE WINDOW moment for the Field Xenology Commission, but in this particular situation – stuck between a diamond and a harder place – she was glad of it. They seemed very civilised, these servants of His Majesty – whoever that was. She hadn't known of any throne except the throne of Hadassah, and these did not look like Alliance ships. Even if they had been Alliance ships, they should have recognised her – as secret as the Prowler program was, its shape could be deduced by its absence.

As she read on, however, the back of her neck began to prickle – an interestingly minor sensation to be able to feel, considering the amount of strain her body was under. She was floating in a sort of vortex of calm, every nerve block in her body engaged; it wasn't that she would have been in agony or suffering damage otherwise, but as commanding officer of the ship she needed to be able to concentrate. All she had was a sort of awareness of immense pressure – and now the physical pressure of gravity was joined by the diplomatic pressure of Bluetooth, however politely phrased.

She couldn't be sure, but she thought they were asking her to reverse course and go under escort to BOUNDLESS HAND's command ship. The prospect of flying into that fleet did not appeal to her. In the low resolution of the nebulonic cloud, she'd only been able to pick up the biggest ships in the fleet – the scale was terrifying. She knew nothing more about them than she knew about the MELODIC THUNDER people – if anything, less – but there were about fifty objects in that fleet which, if her sensors hadn't misled her too far, were in the area of one kilometre long. Even more worryingly, she thought she could faintly detect a number of other, even more massive objects which were of even greater scale. Two kilometres – maybe three – maybe more. She couldn't know, the sensor return fading into ghosts of static over their immense lengths.

Actual armament was a different matter, an unknown, but the tonnage here could have accounted for two dozen squadrons from back home. It wasn't so much walking into a lion's den as walking into the midst of a hungry pride in a meat dress. It felt all too much like if she turned her nose around and went after the retreating BH-81, there'd be no negotiation, no talk. She'd be torn apart, the classified technology aboard taken for analysis, and whatever had been meant to happen here would go on, minus twenty-one FXC officers whose deaths were plausibly deniable.

Of course, it wasn't clear that it would be any different with Bluetooth. The only difference was that Charlotte couldn't see their teeth.

<Turn off the drive.> It was non-verbal, the message delivered through her implants for inability to move her jaw.

:: Response: Beginning drive taper-off

She keyed the PA, an abstract, tiny icon in her head. <Now hear this: We are returning to standard gravity in fifteen seconds, fourteen, thirteen …> She could hear it, blurrily, coming over the PA, not in her voice, in the smoothed-out, synthesised voice of the ship's computer. Slowly, the sensation of pressure began to lessen, only to be replaced immediately by a hammer blow of pain washing over her as her nerve riders automatically shut down and every distressed muscle and joint complained in chorus.

“… zero,” she said aloud. Everything was normal once more. Bluetooth remained in the dead centre of the forward display, the distance numbers still scrolling down. All that had happened was that her acceleration had ended, but the ship continued forward at the speed she'd attained. Just in case.

:: Incoming message from BOUNDLESS HAND command ship. Processing …

She read the BOUNDLESS HAND – Krosani – commander's message over with increasing incredulity. The message from Bluetooth had been something, but this … Indignant, she muttered a profanity, safe in the knowledge that she wasn't transmitting back. Yet. She almost went to reactivate the drive, but she controlled herself. As heavy as the firepower of the Krosani fleet might be, her resolve had all of a sudden been galvanised by their arrogance. A single ship could have torn the prowler apart. What did eighty matter?

She took a moment to compose a message, and to run over it in her own head a few times, and then gathered herself. “Open a channel,” she said, surprised at the ice in her own voice. “General broadcast.”

Attention Bluetooth Actual and Krosani Leader, this is Fenster Actual. I accept the Royal Navy's jurisdiction over the Kereth system. Accordingly, I will answer to Admiral Bradsford. My crew will not be imprisoned, nor will I surrender.

She paused.

Here is my proposal: I will meet with your representatives aboard Bluetooth, as an equal. I will not carry my service weapon. My ship will be powered down. My crew will remain aboard. Your crews will not attempt to force entry.

If they do, she thought grimly, without me aboard – the recovery unit may have very few pieces left to pick up.
The Commonwealth (FT)

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents