NATION

PASSWORD

The Long, Twilight Struggle (Earth II)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Terra Reborn
Minister

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Reborn » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:32 am

Lieutenant The Honourable William Howard RHGD
Richardson Garrison, Anchorage County
The Duchy of Alaska, The Empire of Apilonia
Thursday 3rd September 2015, 0700hrs Local Time (0700hrs Imperial Capital Time, 1600hrs Zulu Time)

Richardson Garrison, the sprawling Imperial Army garrison located just to the north of Anchorage City, was bustling with activity even at such an early hour; mainly because the activity had not really stopped all night. All over the Garrison men and equipment were being moved from the armouries and stores to muster points, vehicles of many types were being given maintenance checks before being driven the short distance down the road to IAF Elmendorf to be loaded onto transport aircraft for transport to IAF Gibraltar and the Imperial staging point just over the border in Andalusia. That was the plan anyway, at the moment only in its earliest stages. It would take some days for the entirety of the 1st Armoured Division, the unit that had been selected to spearhead the Imperial ground forces, to mobilise and deploy; the Division had been one that had been on stand-by for deployment, but it would still take nearly two weeks to get everything in place and combat-ready. The Empire maintained a number of Divisions on short-notice standby for activation, both to provide heavy forces for defensive actions but also for overseas operations, the 1st Armoured and those that would be joining it in Spain, was one of those Divisions.

Given the hour, and the chilly breeze coming of the Cook Inlet (Anchorage having limited impact upon the temperature of the airflow as the Central Business District (and thus the urban heat island it produced) was more to the west, Lieutenant The Honourable William Howard, eldest son and heir of Baron Howard of Catalla, was grateful for his thick uniform Greatcoat as he watched his platoon hard at work checking all their personal equipment and weapons. At this stage in the activation process the soldiers themselves were tasked with ensuring they had everything they needed, and requisitioning anything they did not, before preparing for deployment; the idea was to get the troops on the ground ASAP with their vehicles following afterwards. As such Lieutenant Howard’s principle role was to sign off any and all requisition forms that his soldiers placed onto his desk, which meant that every few minutes he had to put aside his other preparatory work to go outside and make sure the soldiers weren’t being daft. In some units the officer would have been outside with his men doing the same and generally getting cold, however in the Regiments of the Household Cavalry the distinction between officer and enlisted was still very marked, and encouraged by both the officers and enlisted.

Born into the aristocracy, as he had been when William Howard had made the decision to join the Imperial Army, with the approval of his father who had likewise served, his choice of Regiments was heavily restricted. In theory, he could have applied to join any Regiment in the Army, in practice however, his options had been limited by his birth and his family to either the Household Cavalry or the Foot Guards. It was comparatively rare for scions of the nobility to serve in other parts of the Imperial Army, although not unheard of. Given his father’s own service William had elected to apply for the same Regiment, and given those same connections he had been readily accepted into the Blues and Royals, or the Royal Horse Guards and Dragoons as it was properly known (the Blues and Royals being the only regiment in the Imperial Army known officially by their nickname rather than their full title). He had attended the Imperial Military Academy in 2013 and commissioning into the Blues and Royals as a Cornet at the end of that year before attending the Infantry Battle School (North) at Denali to take the Platoon Commander’s Course, earning the standard promotion to Lieutenant as a result.

The Blues and Royals, and their sister Regiment, the Life Guards, were best known to the Empire at large for their ceremonial role, exemplified by the annual King’s Birthday Parade in June, or as it was better known Trooping the Colour, as well as various other state occasions. What some Imperial Citizens, and many foreigners, didn’t realise that only a small proportion of the Household Cavalry were on ceremonial duty at any given time. The rest of the two Regiments provided battalions for various brigades and divisions, just like any other in the Imperial Army. At present the Household Cavalry served in the Formation Reconnaissance role, providing fast-moving reconnaissance assets for an entire brigade, a very fitting usage given their cavalry nature, specifically the Household Cavalry provided battalions for the spearhead armoured divisions. The twenty armoured divisions operated by the Imperial Army were, broadly, split into two types, the line division and the spearhead division; technically there was no difference between the two, they all operated the same equipment with the same training, but the spearhead divisions were used as their name might suggest at the very front of an assault. Armoured divisions were already at the point of the spear in any advance, but the spearhead divisions were often the first units across the border into enemy territory.

As such they were far more prestigious, which was why they received Household Cavalry formation reconnaissance battalions, as opposed to the normal ‘lancers’, likewise the armoured infantry battalions were ‘Dragoon Guards’ rather than mere ‘dragoons’, even if the former had no ceremonial responsibilities unlike the Household Cavalry or the Foot Guards. It was however this status as a spearhead division that had resulted in the 1st Armoured being selected for deployment to Spain where, if the rumourmill was accurate (as it usually was), they would be heading straight for Madrid to cut the enemy forces off at the hip and crush them. It was all very exciting for everyone, from the highest officer down to the lowest soldier, and, of course, for excitable young Lieutenants.

Lieutenant Howard had been with his unit, 2nd Platoon, C Company, 3rd Battalion, for nine months now, and they had been damned busy nine months and he had quickly earnt the respect of his men as a result of his no nonsense attitude and eagerness to get on with the job in hand. Aside from taking part in two large scale exercises they had also seen the retirement from service of the FV107 Scimitar and its replacement en-masse by the new Ajax armoured fighting vehicle. This had of course been followed by an intense period of training with the new vehicle followed by a major exercise over the summer before any of the battalions that had so far been equipped, all Household Cavalry units assigned to spearhead divisions, had been certified for deployment. It had been an exhausting nine months, but it was also the kind of nine months that Lieutenant Howard had been eager for when he had decided to join the Imperial Army. Given the circumstances of his birth he could have lived an easy life of luxury, in due course he would succeed his father as Baron Howard and receive the revenue from their lands and holdings, around the town on Catalla in the Ducky of Alaska. But he didn’t want that. He wanted to do his part, his duty, and earn the title and lands he would automatically inherit.

Which was by he had joined the Imperial Army and was about to deploy operationally for the first time.

“Remarkable sight, isn’t it, Lieutenant?”

Lieutenant Howard turned to find the source of the voice, strong, full of authority and confident. The reason for this was obvious as soon as he laid eyes upon the speaker. The man was dressed similarly to him, in the khaki No.2 Service Dress of the Imperial Army with a heavy greatcoat worn over the top for warmth, it was tradition for officers in the Household Cavalry (and in the Foot Guards) to remain in service dress whilst on duty. Where Howard had the two pips of a Lieutenant on his shoulder epaulettes, the man in front of him had the cross-swords, pip and crown of a full General. With this in mind Howard quickly snapped to attention and rendered a crisp, parade-ground salute, which the man returned just as smartly, although with the air of a man who had done so many, many times.

“It is, my Lord,” Howard nodded, adopting the more formal title, given the man’s lofty title to go with his equally lofty rank. “I’ve seen it on TV before, but never in person.”

“You never quite get used to it, even I get a sense of excitement when I see something like this,” General The Earl of Anchorage replied with a smile. “Unfortunately my high rank precludes my serving in combat again… How are you faring, William?”

Under normal circumstances it would be highly unusual for a full General, who was Chief of the Imperial General Staff no less, to not only known the name of a lowly Lieutenant, but to speak to him in such a fashion. The difference in this case being that William’s father had served with the Earl, before he was an Earl and was just Peter Cain, as far back as the Restoration of the Empire, serving in his group before they signed on with the Empire and the rest, as the saying went, was history. This helped explain how the Howard family’s title came about. They had already been upper class under the short-lived Republic of Alaska which had ‘succeeded’ the Empire during the Dark Times, which was why his father had been an officer in Cain’s Militia. A great deal of those officers who had served with Cain were now members of the nobility, or if they were still on active duty, Knights of the Sword with titles waiting for them upon retirement, after all these men (and women) had helped restore the Empire in its earliest days, and they would be rewarded. The Earl of Anchorage and Baron Howard were still close friends, regularly meeting in any one of several traditional (that is to say not the popular euphemism) Gentleman’s Clubs in Karin City.

“Well enough, my Lord,” Lieutenant Howard replied with a nod. “It all doesn’t seem real.”

“It will the second the first bullet flies past your head, or one of your troops,” The Earl replied sagely. “Have you had breakfast yet?”

“Not yet, my Lord.”

“I’d appreciate if you’d join me in the Officer’s Mess for breakfast; I promised your father I’d sit you down and make sure your head is on straight,” The Earl smiled slightly. “And it won’t do your reputation any harm to sit down with the CIGS for breakfast!”

“Of course, my Lord, I’d be happy to,” Lieutenant Howard nodded and turned to his senior NCO, who held the rank of Corporal of Horse rather than Sergeant, as the Household Cavalry didn’t use the rank of Sergeant for historical reasons. “Corporal of Horse, take an hour for the men to have breakfast and to grab a shower, be back here to restart in one hour.”

“Yes sir,” the SNCO nodded.

“Lead the way, my Lord,” Lieutenant William smiled.
The Terran Empire
Future Tech

The Apilonian Empire
Earth II

Terra Reborn
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Reborn » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:47 am

Lieutenant General Sir Godfrey Wolfe KCS DSO MC
Córdoba, Córdoba Province
Andalusia Community, The Dukedom of Valencia
Monday 7th September 2015, 0900hrs Local Time (2200hrs Imperial Capital Time, 0800hrs Zulu Time)

“Welcome to Córdoba Army Camp, Sir Godfrey,” Major General Don Lorenzo de Massaredo said formally as he rendered a crisp salute.

Lieutenant General Sir Godfrey Wolfe, General Officer Commanding XIV Corps, returned the salute of the Valencian officer as he stepped down from the UH-60M Blackhawk that had transported him from Valencian International where he had been flown in along with the bulk of the XIV Corps staff. As the Imperial Army presence within Valencia was slowly but steadily increasing, he had deemed it appropriate that he move his headquarters to a more forward location, and the Valencian Guard had been kind enough to offer the use of Córdoba for that purpose. This certainly made sense, although a Valencian Guard general officer was remaining in command of the defensive effort, to which most Imperial forces were currently committed, it had been decided at the highest level that an Imperial Army officer, specifically Wolfe himself, would take command of the offensive campaign. In addition to the Imperial forces that were deployed or being deployed, the Valencian Guard had placed the 1st Valencian Division under the command of XIV Corps for the duration of the conflict. It certainly made sense, the Valencians had proven that they had a great deal of experience fighting defensively, however they simply couldn’t match the Imperial Army for its offensive fighting experience, making Wolfe the obvious choice to command the offensive.

All things considered XIV Corps was looking like a very healthy formation. The 5th Ranger Battalion was already in-country, operating as his pathfinders and trailblazers, the 2nd Airborne Brigade was holding position at Gibraltar, ready for a combat-jump wherever he needed them once the offensive began. On paper he had the 3rd Cavalry Division in its entirety, although in reality he would only have two Regiments, but then the Cavalry were designed as a QRF, they did not need to commit their full forces after all. And of course he now had the 1st Valencian Division. He knew for a fact that the 1st Armoured Division was mobilising for combat, as were two Mechanized Divisions in support; their troops could be on the ground within the week, although their vehicles would take longer. As such he had, realistically, pencilled in the offensive to start in two weeks’ time, Monday 21st September, by which point he was confident that he would have the forces he needed in-theatre to conduct the campaign.

“Thank You, Don Lorenzo, it is good to be here,” Lt. General Wolfe replied with a nod and a warm smile. “Looking forward to getting back at the enemy?”

“I definitely am, Sir, we’ve been fighting defensive and taking hits for the last week, it’ll be damn good to take the fight to the enemy after being on the defensive for so long,” Major General Massaredo replied with a grin. “I’m also looking forward to working alongside you and the Imperial Army, you’ve forces have already proven their reputation is well-earned on the defensive, can’t wait to see what you can do on the offensive.”

“Likewise, Major General, the Valencian Guard’s stalwart defensive and determination not to give in has impressed a great number of people in the Imperial Army, holding Valencia against that assault was no mean feat,” Lt. General Wolfe nodded. “Shall we get straight down to business, General? We’ve got an offensive to plan.”

“Indeed we do, Sir,” Major General Massaredo nodded. “We’re going to be moving the Divisional HQ into the field, so XIV Corps can use our Operations Room here.”

Wolfe nodded and followed Massaredo as he left his new Corps Commander and his staff into one of the larger building until they reached the Operations Room in question; not quite at Imperial standards but it wasn’t far off and it would certainly be sufficient for what they needed it for. It was from this forward headquarters that Lt. General Wolfe would command the offensive. For now his immediate concern was getting the Valencian subordinates up to speed, so he grabbed all the commanders together into one room, and integrated the Imperial commanders via video conference.

“Good Morning everyone, for those of you who don’t know me I am Lieutenant General Sir Godfrey Wolfe of the Imperial Army; General Officer Commanding XIV Corps, following top-level discussions I have been placed in combat of the joint offensive,” Wolfe began, looking around at his gathered commanders. “This offensive has three stated goals, the first is to push all enemy forces from Valencian territory; the second is to liberate Madrid, and the third is to destroy the military capacity of the Dukedom of Leon and Castile.”

Wolfe paused briefly to allow any questions before continuing.

“In order to achieve objective one we’re going to need to perform a systematic sweep of the mountainous border regions between Valencia and Madrid; we’ve already proven we can hold the mountains against the enemy, now we need to push them out,” Wolfe continued. “My initial thinking is to use troops from the 2nd Valencian Division, supported by the 5th Ranger Battalion and the 2nd Airborne; rooting out an enemy infantry force in the mountains required old-fashioned soldiering, we can’t rely on artillery or air support to assist.”

Wolfe paused again.

“Given that we have all the troops we need for such an operation already in-theatre, and given that it will require a decent amount of time to be done properly, I intend to cut orders this afternoon to send our troops into the border regions overnight,” Wolfe added. “It is my intention that those units will have completed their sweep by the time we launch our main offensive, allowing them some time behind the lines.”

Wolfe took a sip from a glass of water beside him.

“Given the mountainous terrain of central Spain, our main offensive push to achieve objective two will have to make use, largely, of the existing road network, which of course means there is the potential for them to be highly vulnerable to enemy fire,” Wolfe continued. “As such over the next two weeks, I intend to request that IAF Strike Command conducts a major air campaign designed to destroy the armoured strength of the enemy; as well as their own air capabilities, in short I want our assets to be able to push in unmolested.”

Wolfe zoomed the map display in on central Spain.

“Given this air campaign I expect the enemy resistance to be focused around Madrid itself, which raises the potential of some very bloody urban fighting; although we are hopeful that the bulk of the population will flee the city before we have to begin our assault,” Wolfe added grimly. “Once we’ve liberated Madrid we expect the enemy to fall back to Leon, so we’ll do our best to maintain our momentum and push straight in after them, I know we’d rather dictate terms to the Duke of Leon in his Capital, however whatever invokes him to sign the treaty we’ll enforce on him is what we’ll take.”

Wolfe looked around at his commanders with a smile.

“Of course that’s the broad picture, it’s our job to turn it into a workable plan,” Wolfe commented wryly. “So let’s gat started, shall we?”
The Terran Empire
Future Tech

The Apilonian Empire
Earth II

Terra Reborn
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Reborn » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:27 am

His Majesty King Arthur of Apilonia, Australia and the Imperial Dominions
The Imperial Fortress, Karin City
The Duchy of Alaska, The Empire of Apilonia
Monday 7th September 2015, 2000hrs Local Time (0800hrs Imperial Capital Time, 0600hrs Zulu (8/9/2015)

“The Earl of Anchorage for you, Your Majesty.”

King Arthur glanced up from his book and nodded this his Personal Steward, Sir James MacArthur, who had popped his head into the Private Sitting Room on the Residence Floor of the Imperial Fortress. It had been a long day of meetings and Arthur had been hoping to have some time to himself, however given that Imperial Forces were deployed in combat, and that the Earl of Anchorage was also the Chief of the Imperial General Staff, Arthur knew he had no choice but to see him. Even if he hadn’t needed to then Arthur would always have made time to see the Earl; aside from being a close friend of his father, and one of his Godparents, but the Earl had been instrumental in bringing about the Restoration of the Empire all those years ago, having risen through the ranks to his current position. It stood to reason that the Earl would, one day soon, become Chief of the Defence Staff, and later Defence Secretary, and it was well known that the Earl had the ear of the King. With this in mind the Defence Council was more than happy to use that relationship to keep the King up to date within full gatherings, and the King had no issue with that.

Placing the book down on the coffee table he stood to meet the Earl.

Field Marshal The Earl of Anchorage stepped into the Sitting Room; he was wearing his uniform, obviously he had come over from the Ministry of Defence, and snapped to attention. Arthur, a little awkwardly, waved the older man down. Although Arthur had been an Naval Officer in his time, achieving the rank of Lieutenant Commander. He still felt a little uncomfortable when far older men than he displayed such overt military courtesy; they were far more experienced than he had ever been, although his uncomfortableness had been dramatically eased when the Earl of Vancouver, First Lord of the Admiralty, had told him that the general opinion was that, had it not been for his unexpected accession to the throne, he would have risen to the highest levels of the Navy, and not just through his name and family. It was only this, and the fact that he had served on active duty, that allowed him to wear the five-star ranks in each armed service that he held as the Commander-in-Chief without feeling like a total fraud. Military service had been a long-standing tradition for males in the Imperial Family, and that was still very much true to the present day, indeed females were taking up the tradition as well in this modern age.

“Your Majesty,” The Earl said formally.

“My Lord,” Arthur replied with a slight smile. “Please have a seat… tea?”

“I’ll never say no, Sire,” The Earl replied and they waited until Sir James had provided them both with steaming cups of Earl Grey, before speaking properly. “We’ve just received word from the XIV Corps Commander; the 2nd Airborne Brigade has deployed successfully.”

Arthur nodded thoughtfully as he sipped his tea. He had been briefed on Lieutenant General Wolfe’s plan to use the 2nd Airborne to support the Valencian Guard’s efforts to sweep the mountainous border regions between the Dukedom’s of Valencia and Madrid in order to pave away from the main assault that would begin once the troops were all in position.

“How long do we anticipate the sweep taking?”

“Mountain warfare and rooting out an enemy force in such terrain is no easy job, and it is something that cannot be rushed, not if we want to do it properly without suffering unnecessary casualties,” The Earl replied bluntly. “In short it’ll take as long as it takes, this is one situation in which even the Paras won’t go all hard-charger on us, they’ll take it slow, steady and careful, nor the Rangers for that matter.”

Arthur sighed heavily and nodded. He knew from the past that this was very much the case; the Rocky Mountains Campaign following the downing of Imperial One some years earlier, which had resulted in his father, King Walker, being lost alone in the Rocky Mountains, at least until he had met his future Queen, had been one of the fiercest fought campaigns the Empire had fought in recent years. It had taken a number of days for the Imperial Army to push the enemy out of the Rocky Mountains, and even then it had taken several weeks after hostilities had been officially declared over to root out the last of the enemy holdouts.

“Has there been any thought to deploying the 10th Mountain Division?” Arthur queried, as their name indicated such warfare was their speciality.

“Under normal circumstances we would have done, however the 10th Mountain is off-rotation, half the division is on leave and the other half is either rotating out or rotating in, it would take several months to work them up to deployment,” The Earl replied with a heavy sight, clearly no happier about that fact than his King now looked. “With the 10th Mountain unavailable the Airborne and Rangers are the best suited, both are well-trained in fighting in difficult terrain, and even if they aren’t specialised in mountain warfare it should give them the ruggedness and tenacity they need to fight in such terrain, it’s not ideal of course, but you know as well as I that war rarely is.”

Arthur nodded grimly, knowing full well how unideal war could be, and how quickly it could all go wrong. He had initially served as a Naval Aviator, seeing combat in both the First Australian War, earning himself the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) for downing five enemy fighters and becoming an ace-in-a-day. He also saw combat in the Imperial-Portuguese War, in which he was shot down, but not before fending off a far larger enemy force to allow damaged friendly fighters to escape, a feat and act of self-sacrifice which earned him the Imperial Cross, the highest award for gallantry, and something that known could say he hadn’t earnt in his own right. Then of course he had been caught up in the opening stages of the Second Australian War, when his ship, HMS Cairns had been attacked by a Western Australian Patrol Boat, which he managed to capture after a fierce engagement. Although he had never reached high rank he had had a busy and distinguished career, which had gained him widespread support and respect from the Military, independent of his title and family, he was able to relate and understand such matters.
Like his father, Arthur detested the feeling he got in his gut each and every time he was compelled to send Imperial forces into harm’s way, and the men and women that would lose their lives at his command, particularly as he wasn’t going with them himself. He would do it when he had to, for the good of the Empire, but that didn’t mean that he had to like it in any way, shape or form. Sighing heavily Arthur picked up his tea and took another sip before leaning back in his chair.

“How soon until the main thrust begins?”

“The Spearhead Armoured Division embarked aboard Fast Sealift Ships seven days ago, they’ll be disembarked and in position in southern Spain within another seven days, in line with their two-week deployment schedule,” The Earl replied promptly. “The other mechanized divisions are embarked aboard LMSR vessels and should be in position within two weeks, ready to go shortly after.”

“And the air campaign?”

“IAF Strike Command has moved a number of their assets to bases in Gibraltar and southern Valencia, as well as putting No. 58 Wing from Bomber Command at Cyprus onto alert, they’ll be ready to rock the enemy’s world by nightfall tonight, local time, and from the latest Operational Plans out of IAF Air Command that’s when they’ll start their strikes,” The Earl nodded. “The strike fighters will target their assets in and around the Dukedom of Madrid, initially, whilst the bombers from Cyprus are likely to launch raids against their border defences and other critical strategic targets within the Dukedom of Leon itself, which should make our troops on the ground have an easier time of it when they go in.”

“Fighters and enemy air defence?”

“The vast bulk of the enemy fighters were destroyed by our fighter sweeps we conducted in the opening hours of our deployment to support Valencia, as were some, although by no means all, of their air defence network,” The Earl answered. “Whilst the IAF prepares in the south, the Reprisal air wing is going to launch a combined fighter sweep and SEAD operation shortly before the strikes begin.”

Arthur nodded thoughtfully, that certainly made sense. Chances were that the enemy were focused southwards, they had to have seen on long-range radar the number of aircraft that the Imperial Air Force was bringing in, and it was possible that they had neglected to keep an eye on Reprisal, whose air wing had mainly focused on defending Valencian air space. Either that or they had underestimated the number of fighters carried by the Fleet Carrier. Either way, the Reprisal was best placed to launch such an operation, which would need to take out all of the enemy early warning and search radar, their fixed SAM installations and then their mobile SAMs. It was by no means an easy task, and would require a full deck’s worth of fighters, but it was also something that carrier air wings were used to doing in the opening stages of a campaign, so they were well versed in the techniques of getting the job done safely.

“Safe to enter?”

Arthur glanced up and gave his wife, Queen Elizabeth, a wry smile.

“You know full well that you’re cleared for even Top Secret information, my love,” Arthur commented.

“True, but for all that you got me into military history during our time at University I’m not all that knowledgeable when it comes to the military,” Elizabeth replied with a slight smile. “It makes me feel like a third wheel when you two are having you’re deep discussions about some campaign or another.”

“We can always make you Royal Colonel of a Regiment, my Queen,” The Earl suggested, sharing a wry smile with the King. “There is precedent for Queen Consorts to hold such appointments.”

“Oh God, I wish I hadn’t opened my mouth now,” Elizabeth laughed as she perched on Arthur’s knee and leant down to kiss him. “Does it mean I’ll have to wear a uniform?”

“Yes, and depending what Regiment you choose, we might even have to teach you to ride,” The Earl grinned.

“I’ll have you know, my Lord, that I am an accomplished rider already, thank you very much,” Elizabeth replied promptly, fixing the Earl with a not-quite-real glare. “I shall give it some though and talk to my husband… now, is this Spain?”

“Yes, my Queen, the Airborne are due to deploy…”
The Terran Empire
Future Tech

The Apilonian Empire
Earth II

Terra Reborn
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Reborn » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:33 am

Rota Naval Base, Cadiz
The Dukedom of Valencia
Monday 14th September 2015, 1100hrs Local Time (0000hrs Imperial capital Time, 1000hrs Zulu Time)

Lieutenant Howard was eternally grateful for the fact that, now they were officially deployed, he was wearing combat uniform, specifically the MTP Personal Clothing System, if for no other reason than that it allowed him to justify wearing a bush hat rather than a beret or a peaked cap. The reason for this was simple enough; it was ungodly hot and the sun was shining down unforgivingly, Howard was already drenched in sweat, at least this was he wouldn’t end up with an ugly black mark across his forehead from a beret’s leather band, and the rim of the bush hat provided him with some shade from the sun. Of course, soon enough he would have to replace such headgear with a Mk 7 Helmet, not to mention pulling on the new Virtus body armour, when they commenced their offensive operations against the enemy in earnest. For the moment at least, although they were operationally deployed they were deemed sufficiently behind the lines that the only real concession to potential enemy action was the fact that Lieutenant Howard had a M1911 Warrior pistol in a leg-drop holster, and his men were carrying their rifles, the new L90 SCAR (Standard Combat Assault Rifle), slung over their back.

Lieutenant Howard and his troops had arrived in Valencia several days previously; whilst their equipment was being sealifted the soldiers of the 1st Armoured Division had been flown in a few days earlier to begin getting acclimatised. Under normal circumstances, they would be at their tented accommodation outside the Valencian Army Camp at Córdoba, conducting acclimation drills or generally preparing for the campaign to come, however today was the day that their vehicles would at last arrive. Although the entire troop had wanted to come down to the Valencian Rota Naval Base to ‘welcome’ their vehicles, Howard had put his foot down and insisted that they didn’t need everyone; the only person required, strictly speaking, was himself as he had to sign to acknowledge receipt of the vehicles, after which they would become his responsibility, the vehicle crews had already been accompanying them all the way from the Empire. Of course his Troop NCO, Corporal of Horse Simon Harper, had managed to talk his way into accompanying him, Harper was old-school Household Cavalry and had been using the Scimitar for some years, he was as excited as anyone else to be trying out the Ajax in the field, even if he kept it being a perfectly schooled ‘SNCO Expression’.

The view that greeted them on the dockside at Rota Naval base was remarkable to say the least; both of the two huge Algol-Class Fast Sealift Ships, operated by the Imperial Navy Auxiliary Reserve; HM Auxiliary Ships Antares & Altair, had been brought alongside and were unloading their valuable cargo as quickly as the troops on the dockside could take ownership of them. The pair of Leander-Class Sloops which had escorted the Fast Sealift Ships across the Atlantic were holding positon outside the harbour; they may be primarily intended for sea-lane protection and long-range patrols, however the versatile Leander-Class was well-equipped to protect valuable sealift transports as they crossed the open-sea, even if they would need to refuel before heading home. The Challenger 2 Main Battle Tanks had been the first off, assembling on what looked to be the central parade deck of the Rota Naval Base before heading north along a Valencian highway in one, large, awe-inspiring column. The Ajax IFVs belonging to the Blues and Royals were being disembarked even as Lieutenant Howard and Corporal of Horse Harper watched on with a newfound respect for the INAR and its professionalism.

They had already been here for some hours, however they were even now being approached by an officer wearing the insignia of an INAR Lieutenant, identical to that of a regular or reserve Lieutenant, save for the fact that it was wavy lace rather than straight.

“Lieutenant Howard? 2 Troop, C Company, 3rd Battalion, Blues and Royals?”

“That’s me, Lieutenant,” Howard replied with a nod. “You got my IFVs?”

“Indeed I do, if you can sign here, here and here, I’ll let you get on your way,” The INAR Lieutenant said, pointing at the various places on his clipboard that required a signature. “Alright, that’s the vehicles turned over to you, their drivers are already ready to go, go kick some ass out there.”

“We always do,” Lieutenant Howard replied with a grin.

With the paperwork complete and the INAR Lieutenant heading off to the next Platoon Officer, Lieutenant Howard and Corporal of Horse Harper made their way over to where the eight Ajax IFVs (Reconnaissance and Strike Variant) were waiting for them. They spoke briefly with the gathered drivers before deciding that the sooner they got to Córdoba the better, as they would all be able to relax for the day then, getting re-acquainting with their vehicles tomorrow. For the men and women of the 1st Armoured Division there was no hurry, they would not be launching their assault until the two Mechanized Divisions arrived, and they were still a week away from having all their equipment and being even remotely available to go on the offensive. As such they confirmed their movements up the chain of command and began to make their way from Rota Naval Base, the eight IFVs rumbling through the streets as they headed for the E5 Highway that would take them north to Seville, then onto the A4 Highway which would get them to Córdoba. The sight of Imperial armoured vehicles making their way across Valencian territory would by no means be a new one by this point, the images had already been caught by television cameras and broadcast all across Iberia; striking fear into the heart of the Duke of Leon, for with the IAF in control of the skies there was precious little he could do about any of it.
The Terran Empire
Future Tech

The Apilonian Empire
Earth II

Terra Reborn
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Reborn » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:56 am

La Carolina
Andalusia, The Dukedom of Valencia
Monday 21st September 2015, 0700hrs Local Time (2000hrs Imperial Capital Time (20/09/15), 0600hrs Zulu Time)

Lieutenant Howard fidgeted with the fire-selector on his weapon, keeping his finger well clear of the trigger of course, as he stood next to one of his platoon’s Ajax IFVs as they awaited the ‘Go’ order. The 3rd Battalion had been moved forwards towards the border with the Dukedom of Madrid under cover of darkness, setting up their line of advance just north of Carolina, just under eighteen kilometres from the border. Their orders were simple enough, 3rd Battalion was to perform a reconnaissance-in-force up the A-4 highway, advancing as far as they could until resistance was met, at which point they would hold their position and engage the enemy, allowing the rest of the 1st Armoured Division to catch up and push the enemy back. The ultimate objective was, of course, Madrid, some two hundred and twenty-five kilometres to the north, more or less, which was at least five days away at the standard fifty klick per day rate of advance that the Imperial Army aimed to achieve whilst keeping it logistical train intact. Lieutenant Howard knew from the last O Group that the Battalion Commander was aiming to have them in the town of Valdepeñas, some forty kilometres within enemy territory, by the end of the day.

Of course, that depended on how much resistance they encountered on the way.

Looking around at his men, all young with the exception of Corporal of Horse Harper, Lieutenant Howard could see the same nervous excitement in them as he was doing the best to hide in himself. It would not do for an officer to be visibly nervous; as such, his fidgeting with the fire-selector was the only real external sign of just how nervous he was, although Harper had already seen straight through him and given him a pre-fight pep talk. Of course, it was to be expected that the men and their officer would be nervous, for all of them it was their first time in combat, which was part of the reason why they were excited at the same time. At the end of the day if you joined one of the combat arms it meant that you wanted to see combat, and they were now all about to get their chance to do just that.

For himself Howard took a great deal of comfort from two things; their training and their equipment. The Imperial Army viewed its training as unparalleled the world over, from the most basic soldering skills that every man and woman was expected to be highly competent, to the big-picture training. Howard knew for himself that he felt very well prepared by his training for leading this platoon into combat. On the equipment side aside from the new Ajax IFVs the Imperial Army was in the midst of upgrading pretty much every piece of equipment it owned. The Osprey Body Armour, which had been plagued by problems, had been replaced by the much more comfortable and effective Vestus Armour System, whilst the old L85s had been replaced by the new L90 Standard Combat Assault Rifle (SCAR). The decision to adopt the L90 had been driven by a combination of two things; the success of the original SCAR-H in the Special Forces and the requirement to conform to October Alliance Joint Standards as agreed by the three Defence Ministries. The L90 SCAR had designed to maintain the strengths of the SCAR-H whilst chambering the October Alliance Standard 6.8x43mm round.

It was this weapon that Lieutenant Howard, and most of his platoon, were armed with; only those requiring a more specialised weapon were armed with other weapons such as the IFV drivers who were armed with H&K UMPs chambered in .45 ACP. Having fired the L90 SCAR many times on the range since he had been issued it Howard was very confident in his weapon and was glad that if he was going into combat it was with a reliable and powerful weapon. Based on the intelligence briefing they had received no strong resistance was expected for at least the first hundred klicks, but once they started getting close to Madrid things would get harder, at which point Howard would be very glad for the venerable Challenger 2 main battle tanks that would have caught up by then. Of course, they weren’t going to be totally on their own ahead of the main advance, the mountains on their flanks were crawling with troops from 3rd Airborne Brigade, which had comprehensively swept the area ensuring minimal dangers to the flanks of the main advance. And of course there were the Cavalry Regiments available as a QRF, their accompanying Apache gunships, not to mention the fighters of IAF Strike Command that were available for tasking.

It may have taken a few weeks of holding the line and biding their time, but the Empire of Apilonia was about to strike back for the Bombardment of Gibraltar alongside the Valencian Guard which would be pushing towards Madrid from the east alongside 5 RANGER.

“Lieutenant!”

Howard glanced over at the source of the voice, his radio operator, Signaller Michael Thompson, who was listening carefully to the BOWMAN radio he carried.

“What’s the word, Signaller?” Howard queried as he approached.

“The word, Sir, is go,” Signaller Thompson smiled. “Battalion just gave the go-order.”

“Alright, then let’s get moving,” Howard replied with a matching smile, then raised his voice so all of his troops would be able to hear. “Mount up!”

With a buzz of excitement the troop climbed aboard their Ajax IFVs and once everyone was in place the battalion set off northwards; one squadron would advance up the road itself on-point, two others would advance a little off the road, both to secure the flanks and to avoid any mining of the road itself, whilst the fourth company would bring up the rear, all four of them rotating regularly to ensure that no one company got too exposed. They made good progress all things considered, keeping to their formations and advancing in good order, all vehicles keeping their situational awareness primed to ensure that if they were going to get ambushed they were ready to fight their way out of it. Having this situational awareness was vital; the worst thing that could happen was for them to be hit by an ambush, especially one armed with sufficient weapons to take out the IFVs, and for the mounted troops to not be able to disembark in time. The role of formation reconnaissance was to perform reconnaissance in force; when they got close to the enemy the troops were meant to disembark and perform reconnaissance on the enemy, with their IFVs being perfectly placed to provide fire support if required. To be ambushed in the open and inside their vehicles was the nightmare scenario.

In order to prevent this from happening, in addition to their own situational awareness, the Imperial Air Force had deployed a Sentinel R1 aircraft to provide ASTOR duties to keep an idea on where the enemy was. They made good progress over the course of the morning, encountering no resistance although the Airborne troops on their flanks reported minor contacts as they advanced alongside the main spearhead. According to the Sentinel there was no significant resistance in between them and their first objective, although it was deemed likely that there would be enemy soldiers in the city. The 1st Armoured Division’s column paused at the small town of Santa Cruz de Mudela, some fifteen kilometres south of their objective, the larger town of Valdepeñas, which they had managed to take without any resistance; clearly the enemy lacked the men to garrison the smaller towns. Taking Valdepeñas was essential, as it would allow the advance to spread out across the plains and push the enemy back whilst the spearhead continued northwards towards the primary target; Madrid.

As his troops were eating their ration packs, and the food that some of the locals were bringing over to their ‘liberators’ as a sign of their gratitude, Lieutenant Howard was summoned to another O Group. The Battalion Commander’s plan was for the troops to disembark from their IFVs and advance on their target, the IFVs would follow in support but it was obvious that he was concerned about the enemy taking out the IFVs with their dismounts inside them as they closed. The troops were to enter the city and take control; intelligence indicated that there was, at worst, a company strength element within the town, giving 3rd Battalion alone an advantage and that was without considering the rest of the lead brigade that would be joining them ahead of the rest of the division. Taking the town would not be easy, even if they outnumbered the enemy quite significantly, given that there were civilians present; which was what was stopping air strikes being used, however if it could be safely assumed that the civilians would be keeping their heads down, likely taking shelter below ground as much as possible, it would be acceptable to take the town by force.

Never the less the battalion commander took great pains to emphasise that although their priority was to kill the enemy their rules of engagement were to only engage enemy targets that were positively identified, if that meant hesitating until they could confirm they weren’t about to kill a civilian then that was what they would do. This was less than ideal, as hesitations in combat could be fatal, but the Imperial Military had a long tradition of absolutely minimising the number of civilian casualties that occurred as a result of its activity. There was no way to totally prevent civilian casualties in every conflict; however, the Imperial Military had one of the lowest civilian casualty rates in the world. As such despite some grumbling everyone would accept the orders and would stick to their rules of engagement they had been given. After returning to his troop Howard briefed his men and they made preparations for the attack, assuming their positions ready for the advance.

Shortly after four that afternoon the advance began and they came under fire several hours later as they were approaching the town cautiously, rapidly engaging in a firefight with enemy defenders around the edge of the town; it appeared that the enemy had decided to give battle at the edge of the settlement to avoid civilian casualties; which was something at least. As soon as a UAV confirmed that the bulk of the civilians were away from the enemy defensive lines the IFVs were authorised to engage the enemy strongpoints, taking out several heavy machine guns and mortar positions that had been pinning down the advancing Imperial troops, inflicting several casualties. Lieutenant Howard’s troop had not lost any soldiers so far, however they had a few injuries which were being taken back to the regimental aid posts back at Santa Cruz de Mudela where they would be treated and assessed, either sent back to their unit or further to the rear and the casualty clearing stations.

The shock of having suffered his first injured casualties had faded to anger as Howard led his troop into the town, his L90 SCAR jammed into his shoulder, looking down the sights for targets. As the Platoon Leader (PL) there were plenty of troops around him who would likely engage the enemy instead of him, his place was to direct their actions, but after the enemy had hurt some of his men he was determined to at least hurt some of them right back. He was already confident that he had killed two or three enemy soldiers when they had been pinned down; he was a good shot in his own right and when they were pinned down he had been right alongside his troops meaning that he had every opportunity to engage the enemy as the, and the SCAR enabled him to reach out and touch the enemy. It was early evening by the time they had secured the central square and were pushing outwards to secure the rest of the town, but the enemy resistance had been centred around their camp in the square and most of the people the battalion came across were civilians who were venturing out now the fighting had died down. By the time the all clear was given it was beginning to go dark, and the Imperial Flag was finally raised over Valdepeñas. Watching this happen with a smile of satisfaction Lieutenant Howard sat down with his troop and took some well-deserved food and water whilst other assets from brigade moved up to provide a defensive cordon whilst 3rd Battalion were allowed to rest.
The Terran Empire
Future Tech

The Apilonian Empire
Earth II

Terra Reborn
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Reborn » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:25 pm

Field Marshal The Earl of Anchorage KW GCS
Imperial High Command, Fairbanks
Duchy of Alaska, The Empire of Apilonia
Saturday 26th September 2015, 1400hrs Local Time (1400hrs Imperial Capital Time, 2200hrs Zulu Time)

The Earl of Anchorage had been heavily involved in the birth, development and command of the Imperial Army for over three decades, having purposefully marked-time in the lower General Officer ranks to maintain direct command authority for as long as possible. It had been the Earl, or Peter Cain as he had been known at the time, that had helped King Walker, then merely Duke of Alaska, to restore the Empire as a very young mercenary sarcastically granted a Colonel’s commission by an equally young drunken noble. The two men had proven themselves more than their years and their vices and together had restored the Empire in 1980. Ever since the Earl of Anchorage had been a consistent, comforting presence within the Imperial Military, holding a series of high profile commands, and effectively responsible for introducing and making work any of the new concepts that had been introduced, including the likes of the Imperial Rapid Response Corps. It was not for no reason that the Earl was known as the ‘Father’ of the Modern Army, it had been hardly surprising that, after finally being pushed into the higher general officer ranks he had served as Chief of the Imperial General Staff, the professional head of the Imperial Army.

It was equally unsurprising that, after his (extended) tour of duty had ended two weeks previously he had been appointed to serve as Chief of the Joint Staff, with his future assignment as Chief of the Defence Staff a foregone conclusion. As Chief of the Joint Staff he was the senior operational commander of the Imperial Armed Forces, heading up Imperial High Command he answered only to the Chief of the Defence Staff, and through him the Secretary of State for Defence and, of course, the King. Given that he had been heavily involved (naturally) in developing the Joint Force concept it was an ideal position for him, he had after all been commanding joint operations for over twenty years, from the earliest Imperial interventions to the most recent; he had been on the forefront of every campaign the Empire had fought in the past thirty-six years of its history at one level or another, and as Chief of the Joint Staff he would observe every new operation with a professional eye and depth of experience and knowledge that few in the Empire, or indeed the world, could ever hope to match.

The Earl had brought that same depth of experience to his oversight of the Iberian Campaign. In many ways it was broadly similar to any number of Imperial interventions in the last decade and a half; supporting one faction, usually the weaker but more palatable faction, against a larger, more dangerous faction. The Dukedom of Leon was undoubtably a threat to everyone else on the Iberian Peninsula, from its two neighbouring Dukedoms to even the Imperial-allied Republic of Portugal, however the Duke of Leon had the potential to wield a whole lot more power if he were ever to become King of Spain. The Goodrule Third Spanish States had shown just how much power and influence could be wielded by a suitably powerful leader in Iberia, given the Empire of Apilonia’s rapidly expanding interests in the Mediterranean and European theatres, a cohesive Spanish state was not in their interests, not unless it was under Imperial control anyway. Fortunately, few on the Iberian peninsula had any desire for a unified Spanish Monarch, so the Empire’s motivations in this matter coincided handily with those it was fighting alongside.

Of course the Earl knew that, behind the scenes, it was becoming increasingly likely that the Dukedom of Valencia would, sooner or later, join the Empire and become an Imperial Duchy. It was entirely possible that this would happen sooner, the Empire had made quite an impression on both the young new Duke and the Valencian people, but if it didn’t happen sooner it would quite likely happen later if the burgeoning romance between the young Duke and Lady Jessica Warwick grew and progressed to the endgame that the Earl knew many in the uppermost echelons of the Imperial Government were hoping it would. No one would ever put pressure on either of them, not in this day and age, to marry purely for political benefit, however the advantages of such a match were obvious and if the relationship was going to progress regardless then it would do so with the full-throated support of the King and the rest of the Royal Family, and the subtle behind the scenes support of His Majesty’s Government; an Imperial Valencia could drastically alter the balance of power in the European Theatre.

Of course with regards to Iberia, it was however the first time that the Earl was overseeing a Campaign as the Chief of the Joint Staff, and he decided that he liked indirect command even less than he had being detached from hands-on command as the professional head of the Imperial Army as he had been in his previous role. The role of Imperial High Command was to control and co-ordinate all Imperial Forces worldwide, however this would only truly be executed in a total-war situation of global scale. For the vast majority of time it was responsible for controlling the global disposition and strategic picture under which the Imperial Military operated, however most de facto day-to-day command and control was exercised through the senior commands (Imperial Fleet Commander, Commander, Land Forces, and AOC Air Command) who were themselves members of Imperial High Command regardless. In smaller, more geographically constrained conflicts such as this the real direct command fell to the Imperial Regional Commands, in this case IRCEUR (Imperial Regional Command, Europe). This mean that whilst the Earl would, perhaps, be ultimately responsible for a successful campaign, much of his role was to trust the commanders closer to the situations, and only step in if he felt it was of the upmost importance; the Imperial Military had a long tradition of trusting the judgement of in-field commanders over a more distant high commander, unless specific intelligence available only at a more distant command proved integral.

The Earl was sat in his office, through the clear glass wall he could see the hustle and bustle of High Command Operations, through which the entire Imperial Military could be controlled, when the Commander, Land Forces; General Sir Darien Stark, approached the door and knocked sharply.

“Enter,” The Earl ordered crisply.

General Stark entered the room and stood smartly to attention; he might be a general officer himself but the Earl was a Field Marshal, and a member of the nobility besides, so deference had its place even here, but the Earl waved him down easily and nodded for him to report.

“My Lord, we’ve just received word from the Imperial Regional Commander, Europe, reporting that Imperial Troops have reached the outskirts of Madrid and are preparing for their assault to retake the city,” General Stark reported, referring to Admiral of the Fleet Dame Laura Anderson, a former First Sea Lord who now headed up IRCEUR. “Valencian troops supported by Rangers are also approaching the city from the East, having steadily pushed from that direction as our main force pushed up from the South.”

The Earl nodded thoughtfully. This was well in line with IRCEUR’s estimations in the Operational Plan they had filed with Imperial High Command, which the Earl had personally approved, however it was also where they were likely to meet the first real resistance; most of their push through central Spain had been with only minimal resistance from enemy forces. It was likely that around Madrid was where they would start to suffer real casualties, more than just the injuries and handful of fatalities (12) that had been suffered in the skirmishes on the flanks of the main avenue of advance. Losing men and women in combat was something that the Earl had become all too familiar with over his years of military service, and it never got any easier. Ultimately however each and everyone one of them had known the risks they were taking when they had enlisted, and gave their lives willingly for the Empire, which as at least some comfort.

“What is the current intelligence estimate?” The Earl inquired.

“We do seem to have hit some luck there, my Lord, according to SIGINT intelligence the bulk of the regular enemy forces have been quietly withdrawn back towards Leon, likely to protect against a future assault there,” General Stark replied. “Aside from a battalion of enemy shock troops the other two brigades in and around Madrid appear to be made up primarily of Reserves, who likely don’t know they’ve been hung out to dry.”

“How accurate is this intelligence?” The Earl frowned, if this was the case then it was an incredible stroke of luck for the Allied forces going forwards, as it would dramatically decrease the number of casualties they were likely to suffer. “Could this be a ruse?”

“Ever since we received the initial intercepts from GCHQ, which has been continuing to track further such intercepts, Defence Intelligence has been working hard to determine the answer to exactly that question, my Lord,” General Stark replied. “The assessment is that the intelligence is indeed accurate, all indications that DI has been able to ascertain is that the bulk of enemy forces around Madrid are reserves.”

“That’s still well short of the kind of surety I’d prefer to have,” The Earl sighed, knowing from the phrasing that Defence Intelligence was determined to avoid committing itself. “What are Dame Laura’s intentions with that intelligence?”

“She is deferring that decision to High Command, my Lord,” General Stark replied

The Earl leant back in his chairs with obvious surprise in his expression. Admiral of the Fleet Dame Laura Anderson was hardly one known for passing the buck to others when it came to a difficult decision. She wouldn’t have reached such a high rank and command if that was the case. However just as it was tradition for higher command to defer to a commander closer to the situation, unless they had specific intelligence, it was the prerogative of any Imperial Commander to defer a decision to higher authority if they felt that the situation required it. As a Field Marshal in the Imperial Army who had held a number high command positions in his time, the Earl fully understood why Dame Laura had deferred the decision. Not only was the sheer losses that would be sustained by the assault significant, but it stood to reason that High Command would have access to the more complete intelligence picture.

“Get me the Chief of Defence Intelligence,” The Earl ordered crisply.

General Stark nodded and departed the room, returning a few minutes later with Lieutenant General Steven Eden, the current Chief of Defence Intelligence, who snapped quickly to attention. Eden was a career Military Intelligence Officer, having held positions both in headquarters and in intelligence battalions, and indeed had seen combat as a junior officer leading a reconnaissance patrol. He was the most senior intelligence officer in the Imperial Armed Forces, and was posted to the Defence Intelligence Centre at Imperial High Command.

“My Lord.”

“Steven… you’re aware of the situation in Iberia of course, and you’re aware of the intelligence indicating the position around Madrid,” The Earl said simply. “I want your professional opinion, do we go or not?”

“We go, Sir,” Lt. General Eden replied firmly.

The Earl smiled slightly, Eden was not one for beating around the bush, and he had a reputation for being decisive regarding intelligence assessments; a trait that many Intelligence Officers lacked. He knew that no intelligence was likely to be foolproof, but his experience and his training allowed him to make an assessment, and his own personal courage allowed him to commit to that decision in a way that the Defence Intelligence as a whole simply couldn’t.

“Thank You Steven,” The Earl nodded, turning to General Stark. “Tell Dame Laura that the word is go.”
The Terran Empire
Future Tech

The Apilonian Empire
Earth II

Terra Reborn
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Reborn » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:25 pm

Madrid
Madrid, The Dukedom of Madrid
Monday 28th September 2015, 1200hrs Local Time (0100hrs Imperial Capital Time, 1100hrs Zulu Time

Lieutenant Howard and his troop made their way past the two burnt-out remains of enemy main battle tanks that had taken position outside the Royal Palace of Madrid, as well as a not insignificant number of corpses from the Leon armoured battalion that had held the Imperial-Valencian advance at bay for most of Sunday, even as the reserves across the rest of the city fell back with limited casualties on either side. In the end the Division Commander had given the order for all troops to take cover and for all available helicopter gunships, specifically the Apache Guardian AH.5, to move forwards and engage the enemy defensive positions with Hellfire missiles and cannon fire. The results had been significant and immediate, for a small amount of damage to the outermost aspects of the Royal Palace the enemy defensive line had been utterly destroyed, and that was the important thing; the damage could be repaired but soldiers killed because of commanders being overly cautious could not be, they would remain dead, and no one from Lieutenant Howard all the way up to Lt. General Godfrey at Corps Headquarters would ever make any different decision.

Of course the Royal Palace of Madrid was a highly symbolic location. The Duke of Madrid had never used the place, favouring the much more modest Palace of Zarzuela, indeed the place had not been used since as a residence the last King of Spain, before even the regime of the Goodrule. However it had been used by both the Goodrule and the Duke of Madrid for official and high occasions to impress their guests, as such seizing he palace had been a high profile target for both the Leon forces coming south and now for the liberators coming north. It wasn’t for no reason that the Leon armoured battalion had chosen the Royal Palace as the location around which to make their last stand, not to mention the fact that, atop a hill, it was a very defendable position and they had inflicted some casualties upon the joint advance; although it could have been far worse. Right now Imperial troops were spreading out around the Palace to secure the exterior and generally ensure that the area was indeed secure.

Lieutenant Howard and his troop, which by this point in the campaign was made up of both his original troops and replacements for his casualties, had been given an important job. Two platoons of Rangers were leading them into the Palace, and would spread out to ensure there were no hostile troops left in the building, leaving Howard and his troop to make their way up onto the roof where their orders were to haul down the flag of the Duke of Leon and replace it with the Imperial Flag. There were not, as of yet, any plans for the Empire of Apilonia to occupy or administrate the Dukedom of Madrid, but for the moment at least the city had been taken by the Imperial Army for the Empire, the fact that their orders were to hand it over to the Duke of Madrid when he returned to the city was beside the point. Of course for the most part the orders of the Imperial troops were to continue pushing northwards, leaving the city in the hands of the Valencian troops, ensuring that the Leon forces went back at least as far as the pre-war borders, with some war hawks in both houses of Parliament calling for the advance to go as far as Leon itself.

As they entered the building Lieutenant Howard jammed his L90 SCAR into his shoulder; the Blues and Royals preferred combat out in the open, with full support of their new Ajax IFVs, urban combat had been bad enough; close quarters combat inside a building was a nightmare for them. They trained for it, of course, but not anywhere near as much as, say, an infantry unit, and certainly not as much of the likes of the Rangers (it was largely for that reason that the Rangers were taking the lead in clearing the building). The troop moved slowly and cautiously, performing their drills exactly as their training had instructed them to do; a copious amount of flashing grenades were being used as they advanced through any room which was not marked by the Rangers as having been cleared. There was some scattered gunfire as the Rangers encountered hostiles, keeping Howard’s troop on their toes as they advanced knowing that there were hostiles in here somewhere and that they could come under attack at any moment; but that was better than being surprised.

This caution proved to be well founded as the troop came under fire as they were advancing along a corridor; however their caution ensured that they were able to take cover and return fire effectively without taking any casualties.

“Contact front!”

“Troop assault to the front!” Lieutenant Howard shouted to his men, knowing that the best way to overcome an ambush was to assault the enemy as soon as possible. “Suppressive fire and push forwards!”

2 Troop responded immediately to their orders and the bite of command in their officer’s voice and immediately put the drills they had been taught into training into effect; two sections put down a significant amount of suppressive fire allowing one section to push forwards before repeating the process to allow the entire troop to advance. In doing so they kept the enemy’s heads down long enough to close the distance at which point the continuous suppression put down by two of the sections was used to pick out enemy soldiers in order to defeat the ambush. By the time it was all over 2 Troop had lost two soldiers and a further three had been injured in the intense firefight and, regretfully, a significant amount of damage had been done to the internal structure of the building, albeit nothing that could not be repaired. After checking to ensure that all their foes were dead 2 Troop continued to push forwards, finally reaching a central staircase that would take them all the way to their ultimate destination; the roof.

As they entered out onto the roof 2 Troop continued to secure the area; setting up overlapping fields of fire in order to ensure that if the enemy appeared from some unexpected location they were quickly targeted with a significant amount of fire to minimise the casualties they could inflict. From this vantage point however Lieutenant Howard could see that other Imperial troops had effectively secured the entire area around the Palace, and could even see Imperial troops on the rooftops of other nearby buildings as they likewise secured their entire building or area of responsibility. Only once he was satisfied that the area was secure did the young officer move back towards the flagpole and began the task of hauling down the standard of the Duke of Leon, replacing it with a large Imperial Flag that began to flutter as it was hauled up the flagpole.

2 Troop let out a cheer as the flag reached the top, something matched by the surrounding troops as they realised what had just happened; soon enough much of the brigade-sized element that had fallen upon the Leon armoured battalion was cheering and celebrating their success; with the Imperial flag flying above the Royal Palace the city was all but secured and everyone knew that. It had not been done easily, and it had taken them a full weekend to secure the city, but the job had been done and the remaining enemy forces were being harried by fighter aircraft as they retreated northwards. After a day or two of consolidation, whilst the enemy was kept off balance by continuous air strikes, the advance would resume to pre-war borders whilst the powers-that-be back home decided how far they were going to go.
The Terran Empire
Future Tech

The Apilonian Empire
Earth II

Terra Reborn
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Reborn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:09 pm

Lady Jessica Warwick
Andalusia House, Valencia
The Duchy of Valencia
Friday 4th September 2015, 2300hrs Local Time (1300hrs Imperial Capital Time, 2200hrs Zulu Time)

Lady Jessica was woken from her slumber by a soft knocking on the door of her room, and groaned into her pillow; having gotten an early night for the first time in some days. Never the less, weary as she was, she rolled over and swung her legs out over the side of the bed and sat upright. Pulling on a dressing gown she called for whoever was at the door to enter. Lieutenant Mackenzie stepped into the room, her tie loosened and her top button undone; she looked tired and harried, but she also looked strangely energised and happy despite that in equal measure. Jessica, a self-professed novice when it came to military affairs, took no shame in acknowledging that Lieutenant Mackenzie’s presence during the entire crisis had been an absolute godsend in keeping her up to speed and informed about what was going on, and from what Alfredo had said she had been tireless in her commitment to doing whatever else she could do to help the military staff that surrounded the new Duke of Valencia. Jessica was not one to use her family links for her own benefit in her chosen field, but she had absolutely no hesitation in using it to benefit others and fully intended to recommend Mackenzie, and Major Ballantine, for honours upon their collective return to the Empire.

Over the past days she had also been proven right in her suspicion of a closer relationship between Mackenzie and Ballantine than they presented to the world; or at least that their relationship had become as close as she had suspected, for shortly after the Fall of Madrid she had caught them, um, celebrating, in a quiet corridor of the Valencian Guard Headquarters. They had been suitably chastised be being caught by a member of the Royal Family, however she had simply smiled and sent them to their quarters before their celebrations could get too far progressed in far too public a setting. In the days that had passed the two young women, totally mindless of the gulf in their social ranks, had proceeded to gossip like schoolgirls about their respective romantic interests, and as a result had formed a fast friendship now that both had dropped the barriers that their respective social statuses had enforced upon them. It was a surreal experience, but Jessica had to admit that she had enjoyed the gossip over cups of tea during breaks in the hectic activity of day-to-day life.

“Sorry to wake you, my Lady,” Lieutenant Mackenzie said softly, despite their new friendship she was careful to use proper terms of address when acting in an official capacity. “There’s news from Leon.”

“Good or bad?” Lady Jessica responded, immediately fully awake.

“Depends on how you look at it, my Lady,” Lieutenant Mackenzie replied with a sight. “In the short term it’s great news, in the long-term, not so much.”

“A ceasefire?”

“Yes, my Lady; our troops reached the pre-war border a few hours ago; within sixty minutes of his border posts coming under fire by Imperial and Valencia ground troops the Duke of Leon signalled Valencia he wished to negotiate,” Lieutenant Mackenzie explained Jessica began to pull on more substantial clothing. “The exact details will have to be worked out of course, but for the moment at least the guns have fallen silent; and given our stretched our supply lines our I don’t blame Lt. General Godfrey, or the Duke, in agreeing.”

“I know a lot of people wanted us to go all the way to Leon,” Jessica commented. “Hell, I know Alfredo did.”

“Perhaps, my Lady, but the enemy troops are digging into well-established defensive positions; we might have swept them from the Duchy of Madrid but rooting them out of the north would be a far harder task,” Lieutenant Mackenzie shook her head. “I suspect that the Duke is thinking of his people; we can enforce whatever terms we want on Leon, short of removing him from power, and that should ensure peace on the Iberian Peninsula… at least for a few years.”

“For a few years…” Jesica sighed heavily. “Unless Valencia joins the Empire.”

“Will it happen, my Lady?”

“Not quickly enough I suspect; it’ll take a couple of years of rebuilding, and independence to ensure that Leon does not view Valencia as running in fear to the Empire, which may stoke their ambitions in a few years to take over Madrid at least,” Jessica shook her head with a sad expression. “The only way it would happen quicker would be as a result of any personal union between myself and Alfredo; in which case a plebiscite would be held to give assent for such a union to constitute a political one too, but god knew we didn't want to have to think that seriously this quickly; we’re only just getting to know each other that way.”

“The burden of nobility, my Lady,” Lieutenant Mackenzie replied softly. “Your love has the potential to change the course of nations.”

“Oh so true,” Jessica nodded. “Sometimes I envy what you and Major Ballantine have.”

Despite the hour, and the events around them, Jessica couldn’t help but smile as Mackenzie’s cheeks heated, even more so at the small, slightly sheepish, but undeniably happy smile that followed. The two had talked at length about Mackenzie’s relationship with Ballantine. How it had started with a night of passion in Karin City following a medal ceremony, albeit given that they had kept in touch afterwards Jessica couldn’t help but feel there had been something more even them. All the way through to their reconnection on Cyprus and on to getting caught in each other’s arms by an Imperial Lady and a member of the Royal Family to boot. Mackenzie had always looked sheepish during such conversations, but she always looked happy.

Truth be told Jessica was often envious of the relative simplicity with which Lieutenant Mackenzie could explore her relationship options; at least by comparison. Sure if they were not careful they might run afoul of the Articles of War and King’s Regulations, such as if they were posted to the same unit together, but other than that they were at least free to explore their relationship without any concern for how it would impact anyone else. By contrast Jessica could not marry without permission of her cousin, His Majesty the King, and the complexity of her own relationship decisions was only exacerbated by the prospect of a union with Alfredo as Duke of Valencia. The reason was simple enough; by marrying into the Imperial Royal Family it would be rather difficult for Alfredo to continue to operate independently, as such a marriage would effectively constitute a decision to politically bring the Duchy of Valencia into the Empire, subject to confirmation by his subjects of course. In any event this meant that as much as her feelings for Alfredo had grown and developed since they had first met she knew that as much as their relationship was continuing to progress they would have to seriously discussed the entire affair, and soon; Valencia could ill afford to be uncertainty going forwards.

“I don’t even know where that’s going, Jess,” Mackenzie sighed quietly, reverting to a more personal form of address now that they were discussing matters not of an official nature. “Our relationship seems built on intense situations; is that any basis for anything serious?”

“Perhaps not, you might find yourselves getting bored of each other easily and requiring intense situations to bring back the feelings, at worst that could be arguments or god knows what else,” Jessica replied thoughtfully. “At the same time that might not be the case; it could just as easily be the opposite, and that you just needed intense situation to bring out the feelings, or to get you together.”

“What do you mean?” Mackenzie frowned.

“Well let’s think about it realistically; would you and Ballantine have crossed passed if it wasn’t for the Cyprus Conflict; you are Marine Command and he a Marine Gunship pilot?” Jessica queried gently, a soft smile forming. “Would you have met in person had you not been in Karin City for medals on the same night, would you have romantically connected now if it wasn't for that night in the Army and Navy Club?”

“No, I guess not,” Mackenzie smiled. “You make it sound like it was destined.”

“Perhaps, perhaps not, but you were meant to be brought together, what you do next is up to you,” Jessica replied, placing a gentle hand upon the Lieutenant’s shoulder. “However the same fact that you’d not have crossed paths without crisis is a good sign for being able to avoid issues with the Articles of War.”

“That is true,” Mackenzie conceded then glanced down at her watch. “His Grace asked to see you.”

Jessica nodded and after ensuring that she was properly attired followed the tired young officer from her room and through the corridors of Andalusia House, heading for the ad hoc war room that had been established. Sure enough she found Alfredo, in the undress uniform of the Captain-General of the Valencian Guard, leaning over an electronic map with the positions of all Imperial and Valencian troops clearly marked, as well as the suspected locations of the hostile forces as well. Stepping up beside him Jessica looked down at the map, and even to her untrained eye she could see that all the forces did indeed seem to be static alone the pre-war border between the Duchies of Madrid and Leone.

The Leon Forces had been pushed back across central Iberia all the way back to within their own territory and, prior to the ceasefire, had been being shelled relentlessly by the allied forces, no doubt this had contributed to the decision on the part of the Duke of Leon to call it a day. It was not a surrender, the Duke knew that he could still inflict significant casualties on the allied forces if they tried to push against Leon’s significant defensive lines, but it was progress. He also had to know that the Empire had the ability to crush him beneath their boots; they had already utterly destroyed the Leon and Castile Air Force (LCAF) and the Leone and Castile Navy (LCN), and as such had dominance in both those areas, leaving the ground troops at a disadvantage. This meant that the current thinking was that the Empire and Valencia would be able to enforce upon their foe a punitive treaty that, whilst allowing the Duke’s regime to survive, would destroy his military strength and as such his ability to cause trouble on the Iberian Peninsula.

“It’s true then?” Jessica queried. “The ceasefire is holding?”

“It certainly looks like it, our troops along the border are reporting no incursions and there have been no reported incidents either,” Alfredo replied. “Imperial and Valencian fighters, under the command of your No. 11 Group IAF, are in the area ready to strike if need be.”

“Do you think it will hold?”

“I certainly hope so; as much as it kills me to leave that bastard in power after what he did to Valencia, to Gibraltar, hell even to Madrid, I don’t want to sacrifice any more of my men in the pursuit of vengeance,” Alfredo sighed heavily. “It would cost us far too much in men and equipment to push through the kind if defence that the Duke has been able to erect, and I cannot ask my people to suffer more when we can remove his threat another away.”

Jessica was quiet for a few moments as he examined her lover’s expression with sad eyes. Here was a man who had lost everything; his entire family at the hands of this monster and yet he was prepared to put aside his own vengeance in order to spare his soldier’s, and their family’s the pain of loss or injury. Here was a man who was prepared to put his duty; removing a threat, over his desire for vengeance; here was a man who was prepared to lead, even when leadership was difficult; here was a man who would be able to be a true successor to his father, even at such a young age. Indeed Jessica saw much of her cousin, King Arthur, in the young Duke she was prepared to admit she had fallen in love with, they both had the same devotion to their people above all else; for Arthur had turned down the opportunity for vengeance, at least quickly, in order to protect the ideals the Empire was built upon, and the lives of those he would have to order into harms way. She was immediately sure that her cousin would approve of him and that he would welcome into the Empire’s nobility with open arms. Moreover she could see a man with integrity and principle, one whom she would happily stand by and spend her life with; all her concerns about the consequences fell by the wayside in the view of her love for him and his own integrity.

But now was not the time for that; they still had a ceasefire to maintain… but now at least it seemed that they were on the right path; and the light at the end of the tunnel was visible at last.
The Terran Empire
Future Tech

The Apilonian Empire
Earth II

Terra Reborn
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Reborn » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:54 am

His Majesty King Arthur I of Apilonia, Australia and the Imperial Dominions
Valencia International Airport, Valencia
The Duchy of Valencia
Monday 2nd November 2015, 1100hrs Local Time (0100hrs Imperial Capital Time, 1000hrs Zulu Time)

King Arthur leant back in his chair in his office aboard Imperial One, looking out at the clouds as the IAF VC-25 began its descent towards Valencia International. It had taken quite some doing to get this trip together; the Royal Security Division of the National Police Service had had quite a significant number of concerns when it came to putting the King anywhere on the Iberian Peninsula that was not Gibraltar. The Iberian Ceasefire was just under two months old and, by and large, had held with only a few minor incidents along the ceasefire line; indeed only a few days ago talks and begun in Madrid to work towards a formal peace treaty that would, hopefully, bring long-term peace to Iberia. Never the less this didn’t change the fact that the entire area had the potential to blow-up in everyone’s faces and having the King at the centre of all of that was the last thing that a lot of people wanted; from the Prime Minister down. Unfortunately for all of them this was the King that they were talking about, and he had overruled all their concerns and insisted that the trip go forwards and he had, of course, won.

Concerns aside there was certainly good reasoning for Arthur to visit Valencia.

With all indications that the ceasefire was going to hold the task of drawing down the Imperial presence within the Duchy of Madrid was proceeding apace. A number of status of forces agreements had been signed between the Empire and Valencia that would enable the basing of significant forces within the Duchy for the foreseeable future; as much as any treaty would minimise the ability of the Duke of Leon to continue his aggressive activities both parties wanted to ensure that there were sufficient allied forces available to respond to any aggression. Of course all this might be rendered moot if the other reason for Arthur’s visit played out as many expected. The blossoming love affair between Alfredo, Duke of Valencia, and Lady Jessica had continued to proceed apace, and very real discussions had taken place at the highest levels to discuss what this meant for all concerned. The general consensus was that any marriage between the two would constitute a personal union that would bring the Duchy into the Empire; indeed the Duke’s office had undertaken polling to determine a baseline of support for just such a union.

As such Arthur was not just in Valencia to visit the troops and to tour the reconstruction work in Valencia, rather he was here to speak with the young Duke, younger than even he, on behalf of his aunt, the Duchess of Oregon. As much as he would have preferred to leave the two young lovebirds to slowly develop their relationship without the pressures of the consequences of their decision weighing upon them he, as the King, had to know where this was going. He hated to force them to make a decision before they were ready, but both had been brought up with the understanding that just such a decision might be necessary. Of course the reports of just how close and affectionate the pair were only helped to encourage him that even if it was forcing them to make a decision sooner rather than later it would not cause either of them any real harm, or indeed change the outcome. Never the less it was unpleasant, yet it was one of the sacrifices that members of the nobility, or indeed royalty, made to receive the privileges of their social rank.

Imperial One touched down with the merest of bumps as her pilot, Wing Commander Simon Gantry of the Imperial Air Force, put her down with a precision that emphasised his experience flying multi-engined aircraft for the IAF. Once they were on the ground the quartet of Wraith F.1 fighter, operating out of IAF Gibraltar some distance to the south that had escorted them this last leg of the trip, having taken over the escort from a quartet of Tomcats from a carrier in the North Atlantic, peeled off to land on a different runway now that their mission had been completed. They were quickly taxied over to the secure area that had been secured for them by the RSD and the Valencia law enforcement, backed up of course by the men and women of the Imperial Army troops still stationed here at Valencia international, even some months after the end of the conflict. Indeed as he looked out the window one last time Arthur could see an usually large Imperial honour guard for an overseas trip, accompanied by an equally impressive detail from the Valencia Guard.

Clearly the Duke was trying to make a good impression, and that was a good sign.

Taking one last look outside Arthur stood and scooped his peaked cap from his desk and settled it under his arm for the moment. He was adorned in the Full Dress uniform of the Grenadier Guards, the Regiment of Foot Guards for which he was the Royal Colonel, and looked absolutely resplendent in the distinctive red uniform that identified the Imperial Army’s elite foot guard regiments at home and abroad, even if others had stolen the inspiration and done the same with their own. As a former naval officer himself he would much have preferred to wear a naval uniform, however he had decided that, given that the Imperial Army had overwhelmingly shouldered the most burden in terms of losses that it was more appropriate if he wear their uniform instead. Stepping out into the sun at the top of the steps he smiled and waved to the mass of photographers before making his way down the steps, returning the salute of the two Imperial Marines standing post either side of the steps.

He was met a few steps later by the Duke of Valencia himself, Alfredo likewise adorned in military uniform, specifically that of Captain-General of the Valencia Guard (which was part of the reason why Arthur was wearing the rank insignia of Field Marshal on his uniform, rather than that of Colonel that he would normally wear when in Grenadier Guards uniform (and only when in such uniform). The Duke was quick to salute first and Arthur returned it crisply before shaking hands firmly with the man and exchanging greetings. They then proceeded to allow Arthur to inspect both the honour guards that had turned out for his arrival and found them both to be entirely satisfactory; despite being a combat unit the Imperial Army forces here were turned out very well, and the Valencia Guard had of course sent their ceremonial duties unit and this was reflected in the sheer perfection of their turn out. As he walked down the rows inspecting each soldier he exchanged words with some of the soldiers, all of whom appreciated his dry and former military sense of humour causing more than a few to break their normal military discipline to laugh.

Once they had finished the inspection Arthur and Alfredo made their way towards the waiting vehicles where Lady Jessica was waiting for them, who curtsied to her cousin before the latter forwent that requirement and hugged his younger cousin with a smile. The two cousins exchanged light talk as they walked the last of the distance towards the waiting motorcade and all three climbed inside the waiting vehicle; the Valencia Guard operating alongside the Royal Security Division to ensure protection for all three dignitaries.

As they began to drive through the city Arthur could still see some of the holdovers from the conflict; a great deal of construction and repair work was still being done, but given the sheer amount of damage that had been inflicted upon the city this was hardly surprising all things considered. Never the less equally obvious was the spirit of the people Valencia; there was a great deal of community on display out there and it was obvious that many of those taking part in clean up or reconstruction activities were volunteers pitching in; the most notable example of his being the teams of men and women working on what Alfredo informed him was a memorial park for those lost in the war.

“You have an incredible city here, your grace,” Arthur commented as he leant back. “And if half the reports I’ve read are true, the same is correct across your Duchy.”

“I’ve never been more proud of my people,” Alfredo agreed with a fond smile. “They’ll make a fine addition to your Empire, Your Majesty.”

“Come now, Your Grace, nothing is decided on that point quite yet,” Arthur replied wryly. “We did not stand by you just to swallow you up aftewards.”

“I know you didn’t, but after your people sacrificed their lives and their futures for ours, there are a great number of my people that would not be opposed to such a thing,” Alfredo replied, glancing over at Jessica who nodded. “That’s why last night, before you arrived, we talked about the future alot, and decided to put everyone’s minds at rest, my people and yours… show him, my love.”

Jessica smiled shyly and held out her hand to her cousin who instantly spotted the diamond ring on her finger.

“You’re engaged?” Arthur asked, surprised but already with a smile crossing his features. “Congratulations, my dear, and you your grace.”

“Thank you, cousin,” Jessica said softly. “Of course its not official until you give your blessing…”

“The Royal Marriages Act,” Arthur nodded. “Of course I give my blessing, I would not dream to keep you apart if you feel so intensely so soon.”

“Thank you,” Jessica smiled broadly.

“Yes, thank you, your majesty,” Alfredo nodded, also smiling.

“Well, I’d imagine this visit of mine is gong to be a whole lot more detail intensive than I had been expecting: I had thought we’d be talking in abstracts at this point, but clearly not,” Arthur grinned. “Truth be told the Empire needs something like this; just how my father’s wedding brought the newly acquired parts of the Empire together, your wedding will bring us out of the sorrow of the death of my father, in a way that not even my coronation could.”

“Indeed, Your Majesty, and I’m sure it will do the same for my people, for all our people, to see us as happy as we are,” Alfredo agreed with a broad smile. “Now we’re nearly there, shall we get about the business of planning all this?”
The Terran Empire
Future Tech

The Apilonian Empire
Earth II

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents