NATION

PASSWORD

IIWiki - Premier Encyclopedia for the Roleplaying Forums

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

West Phoencia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 05, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby West Phoencia » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:59 am

What's the best infobox to use for an athlete. And can the same infobox be used for a variety of sports. I am wanting to add a few tennis players, as well as some other sport athletes.

Nikolia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 23, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Nikolia » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:23 am

West Phoencia wrote:What's the best infobox to use for an athlete. And can the same infobox be used for a variety of sports. I am wanting to add a few tennis players, as well as some other sport athletes.

This one is for tennis players.
There are several other sport-specific infoboxes, and there is this one which is like... general infobox for a sportsperson.
If you are in dilemma to what infobox to use, you can google a RL analogue wiki page, then just see what infobox is used there, if there isn't an infobox on IIwiki, ask for it to be imported here

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:48 am

Would it be within the boundaries of the rules to create a template for national origin of objects? Not anything complicated just a 25 pixel flag image and a link to the country in question.
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

Nikolia
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Nikolia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:31 am

Post War America wrote:Would it be within the boundaries of the rules to create a template for national origin of objects? Not anything complicated just a 25 pixel flag image and a link to the country in question.

You mean {{flag|nation}}? that will give you that
{{flagicon|nation}} will give you just the flag

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:14 am

Nikolia wrote:
Post War America wrote:Would it be within the boundaries of the rules to create a template for national origin of objects? Not anything complicated just a 25 pixel flag image and a link to the country in question.

You mean {{flag|nation}}? that will give you that

How would on set that up?
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:47 am

Hallo.

I wanted to ask if it was possible to have a box that let me link to the geographic location of states similar to the one at the bottom of this page.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Nikolia
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Nikolia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:09 am

Post War America wrote:
Nikolia wrote:You mean {{flag|nation}}? that will give you that

They...are already set up, you just use them. the code {{flag|Nikolia}} for example, shows as:
If i wanted just a flag without Nikolia, i'd use {{flagicon|Nikolia}} instead.
Hope this helps
Grand Britannia wrote:Hallo.

I wanted to ask if it was possible to have a box that let me link to the geographic location of states similar to the one at the bottom of this page.

I don't think i know what you're referring to. Are you talking about the navigation box (navbox) at the bottom of the page, the box that says "France topics" or what?

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:25 am

Nikolia wrote:
Post War America wrote:

They...are already set up, you just use them. the code {{flag|Nikolia}} for example, shows as:
If i wanted just a flag without Nikolia, i'd use {{flagicon|Nikolia}} instead.
Hope this helps
Grand Britannia wrote:Hallo.

I don't think i know what you're referring to. Are you talking about the navigation box (navbox) at the bottom of the page, the box that says "France topics" or what?

I wasn't sure how to link the actual box, but I refer to the one that says Geographic locale.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Nikolia
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Nikolia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:50 am

Grand Britannia wrote:I wasn't sure how to link the actual box, but I refer to the one that says Geographic locale.

There you are. If you don't need NE, SE, SW and NW just remove them
Code: Select all
{{Geographic location
| Centre = {{flag|your nation}}
| North =
| Northeast =
| East =
| Southeast =
| South =
| Southwest =
| West =
| Northwest =
}}

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:54 am

Nikolia wrote:
Grand Britannia wrote:I wasn't sure how to link the actual box, but I refer to the one that says Geographic locale.

There you are. If you don't need NE, SE, SW and NW just remove them
Code: Select all
{{Geographic location
| Centre = {{flag|your nation}}
| North =
| Northeast =
| East =
| Southeast =
| South =
| Southwest =
| West =
| Northwest =
}}

Thank you<3
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:21 pm

Post War America wrote:
Nikolia wrote:You mean {{flag|nation}}? that will give you that

Contrary to what Nik's told you, {{flag}} templates aren't generally "already set up". If you don't already have it, you need to set up "Template:Country data [your nation name]", which {{flag}} (and a few other templates) uses to give the little flag icon and a link to your nation name. The template is as follows:

{{ {{{1<noinclude>|country showdata</noinclude>}}}
| alias = [Your country's name; should be the same as the country's article's title, e.g. Maltropia]
| flag alias = [flag file without the File: extension, e.g. Flag of Maltropia.png
| size = {{{size|}}}
| name = {{{name|}}}
| altlink = {{{altlink|}}}
| variant = {{{variant|}}}
<noinclude>
</noinclude>
}}

Some of the other fields are used automatically; there's also scope for adding alternative and/or historical flags. See Template:Country data Andamonia for an example.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:26 pm

Maltropia wrote:
Post War America wrote:

Contrary to what Nik's told you, {{flag}} templates aren't generally "already set up". If you don't already have it, you need to set up "Template:Country data [your nation name]", which {{flag}} (and a few other templates) uses to give the little flag icon and a link to your nation name. The template is as follows:

| alias = [Your country's name; should be the same as the country's article's title, e.g. Maltropia]
| flag alias = [flag file without the File: extension, e.g. Flag of Maltropia.png
| size = {{{size|}}}
| name = {{{name|}}}
<noinclude>
</noinclude>
}}

Some of the other fields are used automatically; there's also scope for adding alternative and/or historical flags. See Template:Country data Andamonia for an example.

Would one have to put that into their main Wiki page for it to work? Or does it have to be on the page that you want the {{flagicon|nation}} to work on?
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR 1 - 0 WSH | COL 0 - 1 WPG | VGK 0 - 0 DAL || NBA: NOLA (8) 0 - 1 OKC (1)
NCAA MBB: Tulane 22-18 | LSU 25-16 || NCAA WSB: LSU 35-10

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:30 pm

That code just goes into Template:Country data _name_, and then Template:Flag uses it to generate the flag icon and wikilink everywhere (e.g. in the infobox in this article).
Last edited by Maltropia on Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:50 pm

Maltropia wrote:That code just goes into Template:Country data _name_, and then Template:Flag uses it to generate the flag icon and wikilink everywhere (e.g. in the infobox in this article).

Gratzi.
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR 1 - 0 WSH | COL 0 - 1 WPG | VGK 0 - 0 DAL || NBA: NOLA (8) 0 - 1 OKC (1)

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:38 pm

Maltropia wrote:
Post War America wrote:

| size = {{{size|}}}
| name = {{{name|}}}
<noinclude>
</noinclude>
}}

Thank you kindly Mal. I use the function of the country tag quite a bit, and it would quite a time saver to not have to type it in manually.
For those who care
Not Post-Apocalyptic

Santheres
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Santheres » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:02 pm

Somewhat (but not really, let's be honest) bad news, everyone. The server's images/archive/ directory (full of previous versions of uploaded files) fell victim to an error, resulting in both the requirement to remove it and change its permissions (once recreated) to ensure it keeps working in the future.

The second bit is potentially an issue because iiwiki may not be able to archive properly. I, and I hope others, will keep an eye out for this as they upload files so make sure previous versions are still accessible when updating image versions.

I apologize for any inconvenience, though I'm fairly certain basically no one relies on old versions of files. And before anyone asks, no - it's not recoverable.
Last edited by Santheres on Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: Absolutely Orwellian :: Positively Kafkaesque ::
:: Undeviatingly the Year of Our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Four ::
:: IIWiki :: The Local Cluster (FT) :: NSFT Community Discord :: IIWiki Community Discord
Up on the housetop Santhbots pause;
Peace torn apart by steely claws!
Does it bring gifts of fun and games?
Nay, 'tis the king of acid rains!
Where can we flee from Santhbot's path?
No place is sheltered from his wrath!
Cyborg horror of the skies,
Flee! Save your children! Santhbot rides!
Proprietor of IIwiki :: santh dot ns, gmail for any iiwiki inquiries (and only iiwiki inquiries)
NS RP Community Manager - my TGs are open for RP community management/moderation purposes

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:50 pm

Santheres wrote:Somewhat (but not really, let's be honest) bad news, everyone. The server's images/archive/ directory (full of previous versions of uploaded files) fell victim to an error, resulting in both the requirement to remove it and change its permissions (once recreated) to ensure it keeps working in the future.

The second bit is potentially an issue because iiwiki may not be able to archive properly. I, and I hope others, will keep an eye out for this as they upload files so make sure previous versions are still accessible when updating image versions.

I apologize for any inconvenience, though I'm fairly certain basically no one relies on old versions of files. And before anyone asks, no - it's not recoverable.

Shit happens, bro.

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:40 am

Santheres wrote:Somewhat (but not really, let's be honest) bad news, everyone. The server's images/archive/ directory (full of previous versions of uploaded files) fell victim to an error, resulting in both the requirement to remove it and change its permissions (once recreated) to ensure it keeps working in the future.

Will this require us to reupload our entire image portfolios?
For those who care
Not Post-Apocalyptic

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:44 am

Post War America wrote:Will this require us to reupload our entire image portfolios?

As far as I can tell, all images are still there - it's just the past versions of some images that are now lost. That shouldn't be a huge issue for most people, although some regions do seem to use IIwiki to upload their regional map and reupload new versions over the older ones so those might now be lost.

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:02 am

Maltropia wrote:
Post War America wrote:Will this require us to reupload our entire image portfolios?

As far as I can tell, all images are still there - it's just the past versions of some images that are now lost. That shouldn't be a huge issue for most people, although some regions do seem to use IIwiki to upload their regional map and reupload new versions over the older ones so those might now be lost.

Ah okay.
For those who care
Not Post-Apocalyptic

Santheres
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Santheres » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:03 pm

Maltropia wrote:

Correct. The only issue is that if you wanted an old version of an image, it's no longer accessible. All current versions are fine, so there's absolutely no difference for anyone who doesn't care about old revisions of files.

In the case of regional maps, I honestly don't think they belong on iiwiki in any case, so that's definitely not a concern for me. They go through far too many iterations while almost always being 1-2MB in size
:: Absolutely Orwellian :: Positively Kafkaesque ::
:: Undeviatingly the Year of Our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Four ::
:: IIWiki :: The Local Cluster (FT) :: NSFT Community Discord :: IIWiki Community Discord
Up on the housetop Santhbots pause;
Peace torn apart by steely claws!
Does it bring gifts of fun and games?
Nay, 'tis the king of acid rains!
Where can we flee from Santhbot's path?
No place is sheltered from his wrath!
Cyborg horror of the skies,
Flee! Save your children! Santhbot rides!
Proprietor of IIwiki :: santh dot ns, gmail for any iiwiki inquiries (and only iiwiki inquiries)
NS RP Community Manager - my TGs are open for RP community management/moderation purposes

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:40 pm

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed,

But when I do edits and hit the accept button, it takes forever for the page loading, then pops up with the following. This is on both 4G and my home WiFi.

The iiwiki.com page isn’t working

iiwiki.com took too long to respond.
HTTP ERROR 504

Then when I hit the back button to go back to the edit screen and click on "Read" along the top of the page, it shows that my edits were taken.

Is this a server error, or does anyone have an idea of what is causing this?

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:12 pm

How does one create a functioning sortable table? I tried the method wikipedia showed me but it didn't quite work out.
For those who care
Not Post-Apocalyptic

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:11 pm

If you can create a table, you can create a sortable one, more or less. Instead of class="wikitable" you want class="wikitable sortable" and that's about it. See this table for an example.

Ujang
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ujang » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:40 am

Ermm..... sorry for intruding... but I wanna ask somethimg.... is there any chance that a template like "This is a part of series of..... " like this in Soviet Union's Wikipedia existed in IIwiki? :unsure:
♡UJANGIAN FEDERATION♡
Under the Heaven's Lights we Reign!

Welcome to Ujangian Federation. For more info about us, please browse our factbook here! Will add more things to here later.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents