NATION

PASSWORD

Septentrion FT RP Discussion Zone (Prospective, OOC, Closed)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Mozria
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Septentrion FT RP Discussion Zone (Prospective, OOC, Closed)

Postby Mozria » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:08 pm

Thread Overview:

This shall be the area where members of Septentrion are to discuss the making of a possible Future-Tech roleplay. It is meant to be out-of-character, and shall not be welcome to any non-Septentrion posters with whom we have no ties.

Statements and Guidelines:
1. This thread is meant for civil discussion only, and so I ask that those who wish to participate try not to argue. Many ideas offered here shall be struck down, and so I suggest that participants not only have mutual respect, but also possess decently thick skin.

2. This RP may be in the realm of Future Technology, but that does not mean that players will have the ability to throw realism to the wind. Continuing with Septentrion habit, we must do our best to remain within reason when it comes to our technology. I (Mozria) have already thought extensively about such things and will be able to put forth a baseline for most factions' technology. As things are far from certain at the moment, discussion may change some aspects of this.

3. Despite the objective here being to provide an environment for debate concerning practically any aspect of the RP, the word of all thread administrators is law. At this point I am the only for-sure administrator, but the more senior and/or knowledgable members of Septentrion have the possibility of being tapped for such authority themselves.

4. It is requested that all participants try to contribute as much as they can to this thread. The greater the flow of ideas, the more wholesome the discussion and the more likely it is for all involved to be satisfied with the results. As previously mentioned, however, those posting here must acknowledge that not everything will necessarily go their way. This RP will have a rather broad scope from current estimation, but what shall and shall not be allowed is not necessarily up to you. Just give your thoughts, and then we will see where things go from there.

5. Finally, I urge everyone to have fun. This will (ideally) be a well-structured roleplay that is set in the bounds of realism despite its time period and available technologies, which leaves room for a great deal of creativity while also keeping things sensible. I hope that all of those participating will enjoy this as much as I will.

Introduction:

Alright, the premise of this RP thus far is rather simple and uncertain: In the far-flung future (c. 2400s), humanity has matured beyond occupation of the Sol system via the use of faster-than-light travel to reach new places in the galaxy previously thought to be inaccessible. It has spread constantly for centuries, colonizing planets, building, learning, advancing. This was not always a peaceful process, however, being filled with brushfire wars over star systems and individual planets along the way- and, eventually, a titanic civil war that split humanity into many disparate groups. Many decades after this conflict, animosity is still present. However, the various entities have made things work through trade and diplomacy to the point where there is no longer such a great need for fighting. This may change, however, if a sufficiently disruptive event were to occur...

From here, it is now our collective duty to decided just what that event is, who the various factions are, what technology is used and whether or not big scary aliens will be making an appearance. I will be guiding the initial discussion, and I would appreciate a good level of feedback.

Thank you all for participating.

Additional Information:

CURRENT TOPIC OF DISCUSSION: TECHNOLOGY
Last edited by Mozria on Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Erquin
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Erquin » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:40 pm

Moz
I really liked your Gangnir Armor thing btw. Good job!

Heres my contribution.

IOL-343 Assualt Coilrifle

Shoots a 5 ounce 7.62 round made of partly depleted uranium. Uses a small ion battery to power the coils. Retains a traditional yet modernised plasma blade, using a sort of plasma thread running along what would be the blade of a bayonet. Specially connects to Erquinian Combat Armor to equip hud with an infrared laser sight only seen by the helmet. Can accommodate both bayonet and a second, bottom rail attachment, such as, a grenade launcher, a special equipment package, etc. Muzzle velocity is over Mach 5.
Proud member of Septentrion

The Republic of Cheseistan
Secretary

Founded: Jun 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Cheseistan » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:08 am

This sounds awesome. I've been wanting to see how a new idea I had for a small-arms style particle accelerator based projectile launcher would go over, and now I can. This is pretty cool, and I can't wait to see if we end up going through with it.

Nova Sylva
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 11, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Nova Sylva » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:06 am

Tagged.

Nova Sylva
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby Nova Sylva » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:18 am

What would the word be in terraforming technology?

I could definetely see making a planet like Mars habitable...perhaps even Titan, Saturn's moon.

As for Sylva in the 2400s, they would have been kicked off of Septentruon (our current MT region) after Meinkraft takes over. They would have fled to the stars, found a planet, settled down, and hoped to be left alone. the new planet would be "Nova Sylva."

Latin for Nova is New, in case you didn't know.

I can't see Sylva being an empire. Instead it would be some extremely lucrative (but independent) trade hub situated between two massive empires - perhaps FT Mozria and Meinkraft, which seem to be the empires here.

Nova Sylva
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby Nova Sylva » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:21 am

As for my FT military...well, expect a shit ton of drones and robotic soldiers.

Erquin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Erquin » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:47 am

I'll be a rapidly expanding Empire, me and Mozria have talked about it.

Mozria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mozria » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:04 pm

Erquin wrote:Moz
I really liked your Gangnir Armor thing btw. Good job!

Heres my contribution.

IOL-343 Assualt Coilrifle

Shoots a 5 ounce 7.62 round made of partly depleted uranium. Uses a small ion battery to power the coils. Retains a traditional yet modernised plasma blade, using a sort of plasma thread running along what would be the blade of a bayonet. Specially connects to Erquinian Combat Armor to equip hud with an infrared laser sight only seen by the helmet. Can accommodate both bayonet and a second, bottom rail attachment, such as, a grenade launcher, a special equipment package, etc. Muzzle velocity is over Mach 5.

The design was not called "Gangnir," but rather "Gungnir."

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure where you got your ideas for this rifle of yours. Its projectile is two thirds of the weight of a .50 BMG FMJ projectile, which would cause you to have a awful lot of recoil to deal with (for an infantry weapon) if you were to toss it at any appreciable velocity. Also, why only "partly depleted" uranium? Even "depleted" uranium still minorly irradiates things around it, and so only going partway would make things so much worse. It almost certainly wouldn't do much to increase the effectiveness of your projectiles, and so why have it? Honestly, tungsten is so much better for infantry-level ammunition (not to mention that your projectile needs to be at least partly ferromagnetic, which neither DU nor tungsten are). Also, ion batteries neither exist nor are even theorized. How exactly would you intend to store energy in charged particles in a way that would be more efficient than normal or advanced battery designs, while also being practical to produce, supply and use?

These things aside, I am unsure as to how useful a plasma bayonet would be. Not only would it rarely come into use (if at all), but it would be a bulky, over-complicated addition to a soldier's kit that couldn't serve any purpose other than stabbing and burning people. Additionally, it would run on a limited amount of ionizing gas and the power necessary to produce and confine it. Also, it would be really freaking hot- not something to attach to a rifle.

An infrared laser could be seen by anyone or anything that can view in the infrared spectrum. Any sensor that receives that kind of wavelength could also witness your pointing laser. Also, what is the "special equipment package" you mentioned?

Also, I must display what all I have just worked out for your proposed rifle's performance:

If you were indeed going to make a DU projectile that was 7.62mm in diameter to weight five ounces, it would have to be (at minimum, with a cylindrical profile) one hundred and seventy millimeters long- twenty-two times as long as it is wide. It would have a kinetic energy of 205,190 joules at the muzzle. This is twice the muzzle energy of the 25x137mm cartridge when fired from a GAU-12 rotary autocannon. As you can see, this is hilariously impractical and I laugh at the notion of you even considering it.

As I have said before, just because this thread is FT doesn't mean that you can throw realism to the wind.
Last edited by Mozria on Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mozria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mozria » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:11 pm

The Republic of Cheseistan wrote:This sounds awesome. I've been wanting to see how a new idea I had for a small-arms style particle accelerator based projectile launcher would go over, and now I can. This is pretty cool, and I can't wait to see if we end up going through with it.

How would you intend to propel a projectile by using a particle beam? I am interested to hear.

Mozria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mozria » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:22 pm

Nova Sylva wrote:What would the word be in terraforming technology?

I could definetely see making a planet like Mars habitable...perhaps even Titan, Saturn's moon.

As for Sylva in the 2400s, they would have been kicked off of Septentruon (our current MT region) after Meinkraft takes over. They would have fled to the stars, found a planet, settled down, and hoped to be left alone. the new planet would be "Nova Sylva."

Latin for Nova is New, in case you didn't know.

I can't see Sylva being an empire. Instead it would be some extremely lucrative (but independent) trade hub situated between two massive empires - perhaps FT Mozria and Meinkraft, which seem to be the empires here.

You probably shouldn't go for Titan, it's full of combustible chemicals. Maybe some success if you just stayed in little prefab cities, but I'm not confident that colonization would really be worth it on anything but garden worlds. Most places like Titan and other attractive prospects resource-wise would likely just be industrial production areas and nothing more.

I don't think that being "kicked out" of your country on one planet can realistically result in you being able to colonize a range of other star systems afterwards. You would need size, wealth, resources and capability in order to grow, not just necessity. If Mein took over Septentrion, then he would take over Sylva too.

Final verdict on that- All factions within this RP shall be decently sized, with at least a few star systems in their possession. They don't have to trace their lineage back to NS countries, either, as I think it would be interesting to start with a normal Earth.

Erquin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Erquin » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:23 pm

Its a concept, and I dont try to throw realism out of the window. What do you propose to make this realistic and as close to my specifications without going off the deep end?

Mozria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mozria » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:27 pm

Nova Sylva wrote:As for my FT military...well, expect a shit ton of drones and robotic soldiers.

Drones are good, but there is a limit to what autonomy can attain. You start getting increasingly poor returns when you begin putting robots in charge of roles much more fit for normal human- such as infantry work, which a robot could almost never do to the level of a trained person. At the very least, infantry drones would have to be slaved to the decisions of a human officer or somesuch that was operating on the ground with his own drones. Perhaps even a team of men could have a drone contingent assigned to them, as they would be better suited to interacting with people, performing complex tasks and making important decisions on the fly. The robots would just be extra eyes, ears and muscle.

Erquin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Erquin » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:28 pm

Thats what I shouldve proposed for my super soldiers, to be extra muscle and be with the humans as just more manpower.

Mozria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mozria » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:30 pm

Erquin wrote:Its a concept, and I dont try to throw realism out of the window. What do you propose to make this realistic and as close to my specifications without going off the deep end?

Well, what are you looking for in the weapon? power, high rate of fire, sustained fire, short range, long range, low recoil?

In other words, would you want it to be analogous to an SMG, assault rifle, DMR, or other firearm?

Erquin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Erquin » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:32 pm

I want it to be sorta like an assualt rifle, but with a great power buff and range.

Mozria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mozria » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:34 pm

Erquin wrote:I want it to be sorta like an assualt rifle, but with a great power buff and range.

Well, that's what you can get with coilguns. Be aware, though, that the armor systems that your enemies will be equipped with will also be resistant to most weapons on the battlefield- similarly to modern Level IV plates versus rifle ammunition.

I'll draft up some ideas.
Last edited by Mozria on Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erquin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Erquin » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:39 pm

Okay, thanks!

Nova Sylva
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby Nova Sylva » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:34 pm

Moz, you may be right.

Fair enough, I now proclaim the foundation of the Coalition of Soveriegn Systems. pip pip. Erquin, wanna join?

Probably about a dozen or so systems. Situated between the UFP and FT Mozria.

Mozria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mozria » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:35 pm

Rifle Specifications

Ammunition Description:
Steel-jacketed tungsten flechette within PTFE sabot. Propelled through magnetic acceleration during firing.

Projectile Statistics:
Diameter: 4.0 mm (6.0 mm with sabot)
Length: 40 mm
Masses:
Base: 5.5 g
Sabot: 1.5 g
Saboted Projectile: 7 g
Projectile Avg. Density: 17.125 g/cm^3
Sabot Avg. Density: 2.1 g/cm^3

Barrel Length: 500 mm
Bore Diameter: 6.0 mm
Muzzle Velocity: 1,200 m/s
Muzzle Energy: 3,960 J

Accelerator Efficiency: 85%
Acc. Power Draw/Shot: 4,658 J
Acc. Waste Energy/Shot: 698 J (If your barrel was carbon steel, every shot would raise its temperature by 1.42 degrees Celsius for every kilogram of barrel. Say, if there was only 0.5 kilograms of steel in the barrel assembly, the temperature would go up by 2.84 C per shot)

Battery Energy Density: 2.5 kJ/cm^3
Battery Volume: 200 cm^3
Length: 10 cm
Width: 4 cm
Height: 5 cm
Battery Capacity: 500 kJ
Battery Capacity (Shots): ~100

Now, Erq, the rest is up to you if you find this satisfactory.
Last edited by Mozria on Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erquin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Erquin » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:36 pm

This is brilliant! What do you mean by the rest?

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:43 pm

Well, I suck at FT, but I'll throw my hat in.

The Organized States would have reformed into the Organized Systems by now, with the capital still being on Earth/Septentrion but the Moon, Large Swaths of Mars, and multiple other planets would already be given Commonwealth or be moving to Commonwealth status.

The OS Military would be an extremely large force, the Navy and the Army being the largest still, with the Air Force in third and the Marine Corps being the fourth.

Now, I already have quite a bit of my FT Military stuff worked out. Large Megaton Nuclear Weapons, Spacecraft Carriers, Destroyers, and Cruisers, mainly. Imagine a mix of BSG and Halo stuff.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Mozria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mozria » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:48 pm

Erquin wrote:This is brilliant! What do you mean by the rest?

What do you mean by "the rest?" I presume you mean all of it?

Mozria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mozria » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:56 pm

Organized States wrote:Well, I suck at FT, but I'll throw my hat in.

The Organized States would have reformed into the Organized Systems by now, with the capital still being on Earth/Septentrion but the Moon, Large Swaths of Mars, and multiple other planets would already be given Commonwealth or be moving to Commonwealth status.

The OS Military would be an extremely large force, the Navy and the Army being the largest still, with the Air Force in third and the Marine Corps being the fourth.

Now, I already have quite a bit of my FT Military stuff worked out. Large Megaton Nuclear Weapons, Spacecraft Carriers, Destroyers, and Cruisers, mainly. Imagine a mix of BSG and Halo stuff.

Even being the diehard Halo fan that I am, I must tell you that it is not realistic. In fact, much of it is unrealistic to the point of being utterly ridiculous. I would recommend that you disabuse yourself of whatever inspiration it may be giving you regarding your space military. Oh, and Battlestar Galactica is even worse.

Much learning will be needed in regards to the hard sci-fi environment that this thread will ideally be situated within, and so I ask you all to keep an open mind and an eagerness to learn. I would recommend that everyone start here for their studies: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/prelimnotes.php
Last edited by Mozria on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nova Sylva
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby Nova Sylva » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:11 pm

This is gonna sound really bad can I be your bitch in this rp

Mozria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mozria » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:28 pm

Nova Sylva wrote:

This is gonna sound really bad can I be your bitch in this rp

Go to bed, man, you're actually drunk.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents