NATION

PASSWORD

Forgotten Eon [Dark Age/Fantasy World][Closed]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Holy Dominion of Inesea
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:44 pm

Achesia wrote:How did we go from turtle ships to iron clads?

Magic
I'm really tired

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:54 pm

Inoroth wrote:@Akasha -- Let's not forget fire is a dangerous servant; ships delivering the stuff were often ignited and destroyed themselves.

It isn't an exclusive danger. It's true of every ship to ever carry a gunpowder armament, from late medieval warships armed with primitive cannons to modern warships filled with incendiary missile propellants and warheads. Nothing is "safe" when talking about the ocean anyway.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Great Houses of Xie
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Houses of Xie » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:19 pm

@inoroth: it's definitely not a coastal city. The capitol is nestled in one of the valleys up in the mountains
National Anthem:
Anna ni Isshou Datta no ni

Most Popular Song:
Ikenai Borderline

EDOC Anthem:
Shoujou yo Ugate

Achesia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:21 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Inoroth wrote:@Akasha -- Let's not forget fire is a dangerous servant; ships delivering the stuff were often ignited and destroyed themselves.

It isn't an exclusive danger. It's true of every ship to ever carry a gunpowder armament, from late medieval warships armed with primitive cannons to modern warships filled with incendiary missile propellants and warheads. Nothing is "safe" when talking about the ocean anyway.

Very true, but given the very nature of fire, the fact it would be a newer implement of war, and the level of ability to control it in these times it would be a much greater risk than the ships of the modern era having a missile explode.

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:21 pm

The Holy Dominion of Inesea wrote:

Magic

Whoa now this is low fantasy :P

Great Houses of Xie
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Houses of Xie » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:25 pm

Fire is not new to warfare, even from a medieval standpoint. Humans have been using it for thousands of years. It would be like saying spears are "new."
National Anthem:

Most Popular Song:
Ikenai Borderline

EDOC Anthem:
Shoujou yo Ugate

Inoroth
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 19, 2012
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Inoroth » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:05 pm

@Achesia --

A natural progression of armor discussion

@Xia --
Great Houses of Xie wrote:@inoroth: it's definitely not a coastal city. The capitol is nestled in one of the valleys up in the mountains

Is there a more accessible city for diplomatic purposes?

@All RE: fire and danger --

The Akasha Colony wrote:It isn't an exclusive danger. It's true of every ship to ever carry a gunpowder armament, from late medieval warships armed with primitive cannons to modern warships filled with incendiary missile propellants and warheads. Nothing is "safe" when talking about the ocean anyway.

True that gunpowder is dangerous, but it's not the same as Greek Fire (if for no other reason than because gunpowder can be effectively doused by water). Tech improves from oil slick and fire to more stable saltpeter and charcoal, things are safer. It's like saying just because modern firearms occasionally have misfires, they are no different than the misfires of older matchlocks -- different scale.
Life is what you make it -- I made it into a peach cobbler
cosmopolitan/nationalistic: 4%
secular/religious: 63%
visionary/reactionary: 39%
anarchistc/authoritarian: 25%
communistic/capitalistic: 37%
pacifistic/militaristic: 48%
ecological.anthropological: 66%
I am apperantly a Neo-Conservative... who knew?

Inoroth's Military Here.
Nations Represented By This Account: Inoroth, New Inorothian Space Empire,

Inoroth's Factbook Here

"A fool's words cut down friends on the eve of battle" - Vinchero

IshCong
Senator

Founded: Aug 12, 2011
Libertarian Police State

Postby IshCong » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:16 pm

Inoroth wrote:@Xia --
Great Houses of Xie wrote:
That.

Ah... As for that Taniar diplomat, did you have any place in mind that you were sending him? ie, the capitol or the current base of the western army? I'm guessing because he's getting sent real late, the diplomat is rushing it with a small retinue?

I assumed capital, traveling all the way by ship if it's a coastal city.

Would I be correct in presuming that your ambassador would travel to Narrak by way of the river?
Related, I wanted to name the two rivers within my territory and was thinking of calling them the River Maneth (southern) and Eren River (northern). But then, I think you mentioned naming them as well? There could be local names that just differ, or maybe it is called something different after the two branches merge?
"I think that Ish'Cong coming back is what actually killed Nations. Not the CAS ragequitting and the Axis being the Axis."
The Identifier
Lt. Plot Spoiler
General Kill-joy
Major Wiki God
Comrade Commissar
Licensed Messenger Boy

Arenumberg
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arenumberg » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:20 pm

Finally got around to the post for Bulgislavia with a nod to Zarhad's naval deployments, with a few in character reasons at least, so theres that - aside from the Emperor going balls deep is there anything else I should be aware of?

Also, as I never got around to it, most of Solvaldir's forces will be mustered levy, think "adequate" pikemen and what have you (60~), with a few forces from the faith (10%~) (a mixture of heavy infantry and archers), some ranger lords and cavalry (10%~, archers and skirmish/medium cavalry) and about 15%~ shield maidens/huscarls with a few heavy cavalry at around 5%.

Seba Kemet
Attaché

Founded: May 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Seba Kemet » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:31 pm

I considered a huge argument, but I'm already posting way more OOC than I am IC, which is something I prefer to avoid. Simply put:

My point here is that naval warfare where everybody's slinging fire around like it's no big deal has essentially turned the whole affair into one big pile of mutually assured destruction. There was a good reason naval battles in this period were mostly fought by boarding action. While incendiaries were well known, their use was limited by the fact that they often presented as much danger to the vessel using them as they did to any given foe. Especially with highly volatile and difficult to extinguish substances like greek fire.

I think serious consideration should be given to limiting the use of fire-based weapons in naval combat. They can exist, but reenactments of the Battle of the Blackwater should be the exception, not the rule.

Take that as you will, one way or the other.

Dbrought
Minister

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dbrought » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:31 pm

my only two cents on the naval subject (yay being in the north and mostly avoiding this! :D ) something also to consider about the destroy vs boarding strategies. Boats are huge assets from the standpoint of both construction, and the possible cargo they may be carrying. While ships certainly will have weapons, keep in mind that in many cases in history nations sought to capture their enemies' traders, warships, and privateers rather than destroy them.
HT- "A universe without murder is like a Sunday breakfast without pancakes."
OMG- "my elite special forces Spetsnaz Bears will infiltrate the taxis of a nation to devour all of their urban upper-middle class, leading to massive financial collapse."

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:46 pm

Dbrought wrote:my only two cents on the naval subject (yay being in the north and mostly avoiding this! :D ) something also to consider about the destroy vs boarding strategies. Boats are huge assets from the standpoint of both construction, and the possible cargo they may be carrying. While ships certainly will have weapons, keep in mind that in many cases in history nations sought to capture their enemies' traders, warships, and privateers rather than destroy them.

Very true since it would take allot of resources to construct ships. Both from lumber, labor, and capital to do so. Most ships doubled as commercial ships as well.

Gunrado
Attaché

Founded: Apr 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Gunrado » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:27 pm

Whelp, I'm back, after finally getting settled in back to college. I'll catch up through the thread and have a post up soon.
Putting my flag right here just in case I lose it like I always do: http://i.imgur.com/aP1CA25.png

“I don't want learning, or dignity, or respectability. I want this music, and this dawn, and the warmth of your cheek against mine.”
-Rumi

Inoroth
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Inoroth » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:21 pm

Gunrado wrote:Whelp, I'm back, after finally getting settled in back to college. I'll catch up through the thread and have a post up soon.

Welcome back!

Inoroth's Military Here.

Inoroth's Factbook Here

Great Houses of Xie
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Houses of Xie » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:14 pm

@inoroth: whoops, didnt see your question earlier. The easiest diplomatic city would be the town on the tani border where the western army is amassing, which is why i pointed it out earlier.
National Anthem:

Most Popular Song:
Ikenai Borderline

EDOC Anthem:
Shoujou yo Ugate

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:10 am

Gunrado wrote:Whelp, I'm back, after finally getting settled in back to college. I'll catch up through the thread and have a post up soon.

Yay my vassal is back!

Inoroth
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Inoroth » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:49 pm

Just to be sure that I understand OOC -- If Taniar does let King Norcoss through, Xia will use it as a cause beli, and if they do not, then obviously they would be at war with the Empire...

Assuming that, what if they suggested having King Norcoss' army just skirt their northern border, have a Tani army 'go before them' and clear out some of the trolls in their path. King Norcoss and his army would move somewhat slower than if he went through the southern roads, and the journey wouldn't be quite as pleasant, but it would keep Taniar from being implicated.

Inoroth's Military Here.

Inoroth's Factbook Here

Great Houses of Xie
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Houses of Xie » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:56 pm

Well, having the Tani army clear the way is clearly aiding the Empire army, so....

EDIT: at worst, the Shie would interpret the situation as Tani joining the Empire in its intended invasion of Shie.
Last edited by Great Houses of Xie on Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
National Anthem:

Most Popular Song:
Ikenai Borderline

EDOC Anthem:
Shoujou yo Ugate

Dbrought
Minister

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dbrought » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:57 pm

@Inoroth I'll throw in cookies to the deal. side with me and the empire :)
HT- "A universe without murder is like a Sunday breakfast without pancakes."
OMG- "my elite special forces Spetsnaz Bears will infiltrate the taxis of a nation to devour all of their urban upper-middle class, leading to massive financial collapse."

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:00 pm

Great Houses of Xie wrote:Well, having the Tani army clear the way is clearly aiding the Empire army, so....

EDIT: at worst, the Shie would interpret the situation as Tani joining the Empire in its intended invasion of Shie.

Who would Tani fear more, the Empire or Shie...

Great Houses of Xie
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Houses of Xie » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:01 pm

That is, indeed, a very good question.
National Anthem:

Most Popular Song:
Ikenai Borderline

EDOC Anthem:
Shoujou yo Ugate

Inoroth
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Inoroth » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:17 am

*Ignore*
Last edited by Inoroth on Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inoroth's Military Here.

Inoroth's Factbook Here

Inoroth
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Inoroth » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:35 am

Great Houses of Xie wrote:Well, having the Tani army clear the way is clearly aiding the Empire army, so....

It's one of those grey areas, though -- the Tani definitely have a cause beli against the trolls, and they have raised levies for as-of-yet undeclared purposes, so they could simply claim that their intention from the beginning was to launch a campaign against the trolls (and for added effect, could even invite the Shie to help -- it is their problem too, right?). Then if they are invaded by the Shie, they can claim victimhood, join with Carsepolis' navy, possibly sway the Korrss by offering trade deals and convincing them that the Dai Shie in control of both side of the Cut is BAAAAAAD for everyone (they don't as yet know Korrss is helping the Shie, and even still, this might be enough to convince them to reconsider).

Let's face it, Dai Shie is a relatively new state, and if it's first actions on the international scene are attacking both of it's smaller neighbors and attempting to dominate a vital trade link, that's going to set off warning flags for the other nations... Ait kinda begs the question 'what else will these guys try and take?' Plus, being newly unified, there are probably still several states who would try and assert their independence if and when they deemed the time to be right -- and the Shie fighting a three-front war against three or four powers would be the ideal moment... You honestly would probably face a similar situation to revolutionary France's right after the terror -- still trying to quell rebels while also fighting all your neighbors at once.

Inoroth's Military Here.

Inoroth's Factbook Here

Great Houses of Xie
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Houses of Xie » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:10 am

It has been something on the order of 20 years since official end of the unification. That's been plenty of time to weed out those who were rebellious; sure, there were some who were quite angry....mebbe a decade ago. All that's left, now, are those who are veterans of those anti-rebellion efforts, leading to a very large, militarized state that is currently seeking an outlet for the left-over aggression. Using the French Revolution as an example since you pointed it out, at this point in time, we're already well into Napoleon's conquests of neighboring states.

As for "relatively new," that's not true. It underwent a revolution to switch from a feudal state to a centralized imperial state. Using the French Revolution example, again, France was a state pre-Revolution, just different.

Again, it's assumed that these aggressions are somehow its first diplomatic endeavors. They aren't, as demonstrated by the defensive alliance with Korss which is, now, morphing into something more.

Yes, Taniar can claim victimhood. It's up to the states involved as to whether or not they treat Taniar as a victim (I pointed out how the Tani could probably expect the Shie to react, which is to say, not very well), not you. Likewise with the warning flags. Though, on your scenario involving a Tani army marching in front of Empire army, it hasn't even been posted in the IC, so it's all hypothetical. Posting in the IC gets concrete answers pretty quickly.

But, let's take a brief look at your argument. The whole region has activated troops and have obviously been spoiling for a fight, marching around pretty aggressively. Is someone going to believe that Taniar raised its levies to fight the trolls and not as a response to the militarization of its neighbors? And that the Shie would consider joining a campaign against trolls while the Empire's army is marching towards Shie territory? Yes, it would've probably been something of a grey area...had Taniar been the only one militarized and the Empire not been making its various moves. I feel like expecting Tani's neighbors to believe such a thing as the Tani simply wanting to fight trolls is probably going to be insulting to whomever those expectations are conveyed; this sentiment is my opinion only and should not be interpreted to be that I expect others to feel the same way.

And then you talk of Carsepolis as if it's big and scary. It's a city-state and smaller than Taniar, who isn't much bigger. Using the French example, it's nothing like fighting Spain, Britain, Austria, and the Germans states all at the same time, all of whom were substantial powers of the time. It reminds me more of Rome and Carthage, wherein Carthage would use local barbarian allies to help fight against Rome.

EDIT: Even the Carthage/Rome example falls pretty flat, given the two were considered relatively equal (I'm aware they weren't really), while Shie and the Empire have something of a slight (haha, understatement) disparity.
Last edited by Great Houses of Xie on Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
National Anthem:

Most Popular Song:
Ikenai Borderline

EDOC Anthem:
Shoujou yo Ugate

Thrashia
Minister

Founded: Aug 31, 2004
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Thrashia » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:39 am

Taniar should be able to claim that they could not resist the Empire's crossing through its country. Shie should understand that, even if they don't like it. Depending on how things go, Shie could stand to make tighter deals with Taniar in helping to cut off supply lines, etc...
FT Factbook | Thrashian Maintenance Thread | Newbies Need to Read This | Thrashia IIwiki

"D-Damn you all...! All of you dogs whose souls are still bound to the Earth! Long live Neo Zeon!" - MSG: Unicorn

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents