NATION

PASSWORD

There Is Only Grey (FT, Closed, Attn: Xiscapia)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
United Citizens Republics
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 27, 2011
Father Knows Best State

There Is Only Grey (FT, Closed, Attn: Xiscapia)

Postby United Citizens Republics » Thu May 07, 2015 4:11 pm

Port Teller, Planet Keystone
Kiregard System, Province Of Heildan-Rosch

"STOP THE DESTRUCTION OF DEMOCRACY!"

"BRING DOWN THE CORPORATOCRACY!"

"CONGLOMERATE=CORRUPTION!"

The signs were angry, and so were the chants. The sound of two thousand people screaming and shouting filled the frigid winter air, a cacophony that drowned out even the loud hum of the police drones overhead. The crowd had almost completely filled Jason Teller Plaza, the enormous open square that sat in the centre of Port Teller, and had set up makeshift camps of sorts all around the area. Fire burned in barrels, tents and shelters dotted the plaza, and on a stage at the far end of the plaza a young man gave a passionate speech about the evils of capitalism.

Jason Teller Plaza had long been a centre of activism on Keystone. Public use laws let anyone who wanted to get permits to stage protests or demonstrations, and activist groups frequently took advantage of this. Protests about everything from environmental issues to social issues took place around the plaza's central fountain, and it wasn't uncommon to see multiple protest groups verbally (and sometimes physically) duking it out. Recently though, the focus of the protests had all been focused; a single enemy of seemingly every group had appeared, and this rally was the culmination of months and months of online campaigning and planning. It had already been going on for nearly four days, with no sign of stopping. The protestors had braved the driving wind and pouring rain to protest what they saw as a rally to stop evil.

Standing in the midst of the rally was a man dressed in as nondescript an outfit as could be. A black trench coat, dark pants, and dress shoes. His face was partially concealed by the coat's high collar and a black hat. He wasn't chanting or shouting like the others in the crowd though; he was merely observing. Watching.

"Jackal, this is Watcher. Are you in position?"

The voice came through his head-set, a calm female voice. Jackal cast his eyes around the surrounding rooftops, including the roof of the very building that had incited this protest in the first place; the towering black monolith that was the Columbia Conglomerate's regional HQ. Just a year ago, Keystone had been the centre of employment for the entire province. Tens of thousands of people worked in the planet's massive factories, pumping out an endless stream of goods. Then the Columbia Conglomerate had arrived, and everything had changed. In the name of efficiency, they had automated the factories, putting those tens of thousands out of work. Unemployment and poverty were now the rule of the planet rather than the exception.

The people who's livelihoods had been wounded or even destroyed by the automation were fighting back against their corporate oppressors. They had initially tried more peaceful means; first by filing complaints with the Department Of Labour And Employment and when that didn't work, by appealing to every government agency even vaguely related to the oversight of corporate activities. But the Columbia Conglomerate had its fingers in all the pies, and there was hardly a politician alive who could go against the wishes of the Conglomerate and even stand a chance of being re-elected. Perhaps the protestors knew that they were fighting an uphill battle, and perhaps that was why they seemed so desperate.

But amongst the throngs of desperate people , Jackal saw nobody that obviously looked like they were monitoring him, but he knew that he was being watched.

"This is Jackal. I'm in the midst of the rally. What's the situation?" Jackal spoke quietly into the collar of his jacket, where a hidden microphone was located.

"Is everything in position? There can be no mistakes" The voice ignored his question, which Jackal had grown used to.

"Yes. Everything is ready"

A few brief moments of silence, and then the voice came back "Good. You may proceed at your discretion. I am severing the com-link."

And just like that, the voice was gone, and Jackal was alone. He sighed deeply, focusing his gaze towards the front of the crowd. There, a line of riot-gear clad Port Teller Police Department officers stood, their shields at the ready in case anything got out of hand. The protest had been, for the most part, peaceful. A few troublemakers had tried to stir the pot, but with the drones overhead, they had quickly been identified and removed from the area.

Even so, it was clear that the Conglomerate didn't trust the protestors or the PTPD. Across the street, behind a huge fence, were soldiers of the Columbia Conglomerate Corporate Security Force, known commonly as the CSF. Unlike the PTPD, the CSF soldiers were armed for war. Full semi-power armour and riot control drones stood by, just waiting for the shit to hit the fan.

Of course, though they didn't know it, that was exactly what was about to happen.

Step One was to distract the ever vigilant police drones. Jackal reached down into his pocket, his hand grasping around a small electronic control fob. He took a deep breath and pressed the button. Immediately, the sound of automatic gunfire roar out from random spots off to one side of the crowd. The response was immediate; the drones whipped around to get eyes on the area, and the crowd started to scatter as people panicked. The PTPD officers, seeing this, started advancing towards the crowd, some of them trying to push their way towards the gunfire. Of course, there truly was none. Cleverly placed decoy bombs that perfectly imitated the sounds and sights of a gunfight were responsible for the racket. The ruse would be discovered the moment anyone laid eyes on the devices, and that meant that Jackal had to move fast.

Step Two was the one he was most looking forwards to. In his other hand, in his other pocket, he held a cylindrical device, about the size of a can of soda. Its cold metallic shell felt good in his hands, and he savoured the feeling as he blended in with the panicking crowd and pushed his way closer to the front. The police were pushing into the crowd, so Jackal knew that he only had a few moments to act. A quick tap on his palm summoned up the HUD display built into his opitcal implants. He began to cast his eyes around; first he looked towards the stage and blinked twice, a red crosshairs appearing over the target. He quickly locked onto several cars around the perimeter of the protest, as well as one or two police officers who had made their way deep into the protest.

By this point, the drones had evidently figured out there was no actual threat, and were now sweeping over the entire protest, their biometric scanners casting blue flashes across the panicking crowd as they identified and logged every person they could. But by the time the drones made their way to where Jackal had been, he was gone, having dropped the metal cylinder on the ground behind him. He himself had made his way over towards the edge of the plaza, where a set of stairs descended down to the Teller Plaza Metro Station. On his ocular HUD, the countdown was nearly done. Ten seconds. Jackal stepped down into the metro entry, calmly strolling past cowering protestors who had taken refuge in the stairway. By the time the police had reached the decoy machines, Jackal was long gone into the depths of the metro.

The weapon he had dropped was a CCA-665 Advanced Cluster Munition; an illegal weapon that was explicitly banned from usage or production for being 'unusually cruel and destructive', and Jackal smiled as he watched the timer reach zero.

Above him, all hell broke loose.

The main grenade exploded in an enormous cloud of aerosolised fuel that spread across most of the plaza. A millisecond later, the grenade simultaneously ejected six target-seeking munitions and detonated on its own. The initial explosion engulfed the plaza in a ten-thousand degree blast, vaporising everything it ints path. Just a few moments later the submunitions exploded with their own tiny versions of the main blast, further obliterating anything that had managed to survive the initial explosion.

In the aftermath, there was total chaos. The entire plaza was scorched to a crisp, as were the corpses of hundreds of protestors and police. Smoke poured into the sky from burning cars and buildings that had been ignited by the shear temperature of the blasts, and the sound of sirens wailed across the city. Emergency services arrived quickly, but there was little to be done; nobody in the blast radius had survived, and those were had been on the outskirts were burned to the point of near-death. The smell of burning flesh filled the air, and the dazed and confused survivors who had been far enough way to avoid serious injury simply wandered the carnage, begging for help, clutching their wounds.

Aboard a metro train speeding eastwards towards the Keystone Central Spaceport, Jackal watched the breaking news on his PHS with a smile. There was a buzz, and the lady came back over his earpiece.

"We just saw the breaking news. I take it your mission was a success?"

Jackal nodded, "Affirmative."

"Can you confirm the death of the target?"

Sadly, Jackal couldn't. Even if he had stayed at the plaza, he knew that any bodies would be scorched beyond recognition, and he didn't exactly have time to run DNA tests. But given that the man he had been after was right near the stage just before Jackal had left, it didn't seem like too much of a stretch to assume that he had been caught in the blast. So he felt fairly confident as he replied, "No physical confirmation. The entire plaza was destroyed, and the target was confirmed right near the epicentre. High probability of kill"

Silence for a few moments.

"Understood. Target will be considered eliminated unless we discover otherwise. Return to Baseplate"

Jackal merely nodded and leaned back. The ride to Keystone Central Spaceport was a long one via the metro, so he had plenty of time to rest up. And in his mind, he deserved it. After all, it had been a very busy afternoon.

--------------------------

Haven Towers, City Of Crescent Bay
Planet Excelsum Aquas, Varia-System
Province Of Hyperia

"For our top story today we turn to the planet of Keystone, where the capital city of Port a Teller is still in chaos following what authorities are calling a 'major terrorist attack'. Details of the attack are still sketchy, but what we do know paints a very ugly picture. According to witness, a gunfire broke out in the middle of a mass anti-corporate protest, followed only seconds later by a series of enormous explosions. Emergency personnel were on-site within minutes, but due to the ferocity of the blasts, only a handful of survivors have been recovered. The official death toll is unknown, but an anonymous source within the Port Teller Police Department told us that the unofficial count currently stands at nearly six hundred people, including twenty police officers. The number of wounded is much higher, at nearly one thousand and rising. The source also told us that the death toll may actually be much higher, but that many of bodies were likely completely incinerated in the blasts."

The anchorwoman paused briefly as the camera angle on her altered, before continuing with the report.

"So far there has been mostly silence from federal officials. Commander Tobias Wells of the FSS told reporters that the government was acutely aware of the situation, and that a press-conference would be help within a day. Exarch of Heildan-Rosch, Hadreon Galida, spoke from the provincial capital of Elpis, declaring a week long period of mourning. He also vowed that he would bring up the issue of domestic terrorism with the National Defence Council and his fellow Exarchs at next month's Provincial Defense Summit. The Chancellor's Office posted a message to its official Overnet site stating that Chancellor Johansson would address the nation sometime in the next week."

The holographic display paused, the image of the anchorwoman suspended in mid-air above the glistening titanium and glass conference table. There was silence in the near-darkness of the room, as the single physically present person and the holographic avatar that sat across the table stared each other down. Physically present was Samantha LaRose, Chief Executive of Corporate Oversight Zone Alpha, one of the Columbia Conglomerate's two province-sized territorial holdings within the UCR. As such, she was one of the so-called Quadumvirate; the four most powerful people in the Columbia Conglomerate, alongside her counterpart in COZ Omega, the Chairman Of The Board, and the President and CEO of the entire company.

Being in this position, Samantha very rarely had anyone challenge her authority or actions. In fact, the only people who could actually challenge her were the other three members of the Quadumvirate, and of those three, Samantha only really had regular contact with the her Omega counterpart. Today however was vastly different. For the holographic avatar sitting across from her was the Vice-Chairman Of The Board, Thomas Kepling.

Samantha and Thomas had never seen eye-to-eye. Samantha was young, un-orthodox in her approach to corporate governance, and considered to be a bit of a wild child. Thomas on the other hand was a member of the old guard, with heavily conservative views on just about everything. Add to the fact that Samantha had frequently campaigned the rest of the board to set an age limit on its members, and it all added up to a rather toxic relationship.

Never before was this more clear than now, as the scowling fomr of the Vice-Chairman sat in vivid real-life quality holographic ugliness. Samantha merely folded her hands and politely stared back.

Finally, the silence was broken by Thomas.

"What in the Divine's name were you thinking"

Thomas spoke with the odd inflection of those born in the capital, stretching out strange syllables and noticeably clipping his words short.

"I'm not sure what you mean. You asked me to do a job, and I did it. What more is there to say?" Samantha spoke in about as non-chalant a voice as possible, someone that noticeably made Thomas tense up as he responded.

"You were instructed to eliminate a single target. One. Not six hundred innocent civilians. And especially not police officers. We wanted this done discreetly. In what universe is detonating a cluster munitions in the midst of a rally discreet?!" His voice rose throughout the entire admonishment, but Samantha remained unfazed.

"You didn't say it was to be discreet. All you said was that it should be done in a way that doesn't implicate the Conglomerate. And unless my ears have decieved me, everyone believes this is a terrorist attack. I would call that a successful completetion of the assignment" She shrugged and leaned back, casting her gaze off towards the darkly polarised windows that made up three of the room's four walls.

This was obviously not the answer that Thomas wanted, because he seemed to get even angrier, "Damn it Samantha, we wanted a single person dead. How hard would it have been to just get a sniper or something. Was there really any need for this...this...." He struggled to find the right words, "This shitshow?!"

Rather than respond, Samantha activated her PHS, projecting a list of names up into the air.

"Vice-Chairman, tell me if these sound familiar." She cleared her throat and started reading, "Anslo Harman. Max Tillsdale. Ryan Stepalano. Sabrina Consogenti. Ericka Fulsana."

As the names were read, Thomas's anger seemed to give way to confusion. He cocked his head slightly, answering slowly, "Those are all the upper members of the FFCM. Anslo is the man we wanted removed. What's the point of giving me a list of names we already know?"

"Because," Samantha said slyly, raising her gaze to meet Thomas's, "This is also a list the dead from the rally."

At first Thomas didn't seem to react, he merely stared at Samantha with a neutral look. Slowly though, his gaze fell to the table, before he cautiously looked back up.

"Our intelligence said that only Anslo was to be at the rally. The entire FFCM leadership would never gather in one place unless Anslo....told...them...." It slowly dawned on Thomas what had occurred. He locked his eyes to Samantha, "Did you.....did you make them think that Anslo had called them all together? Is that what's behind all this?"

Samantha could only smile politely, and lean back, "Does it really matter? Maybe Anslo called them together, and maybe there was some.....assistance in the matter. Either way, the FFCM has been beheaded. I accomplished the goal and then some. So really, you should be thanking me, Vice-Chairman."

The Vice-Chairman's seething angered visibly returned and he seemingly had to take a few moments to calm himself before speaking, "That is completely besides the point. And this isn't just about excessive use of force. This is also about your habit of hiring unsavoury individuals to perform...."

"To perform what, Vice-Chairman?" Samantha cut in, levelling a steely gaze on her (technical) superior, "Equally unsavoury tasks? What we're doing is no less illegal and illicit than what the people I hire are involved in. If the Board is concerned that I am hiring criminals in the course of performing my duties, then perhaps they should stop instructing me to perform criminals acts"

There was silence in the room for a few moments as Thomas seemingly processed what Samantha had said. After a short while he spoke, slowly, and cautiously, as if afraid that he might set off a reaction from Samantha, "We are simply concerned that you may be involving the Conglomerate with groups that are on the radar of the FSS or the IIO. I have no delusions that what we ask you to do is illegal, but the Conglomerate can suppress and deal with any government investigatons. The groups you hire may not be able to do so."

"I assure you, me and my people are more than capable of dealing with any potential issues with regards to paper trails. I've been doing this for a while as you know, and not once has anything been traced back to us. So as far as I'm concerned, your concerns are unfounded." Samantha was growing tired of arguing with Thomas, so she stood, visibly sighing, "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm on vacation, and quite frankly you're making it rather difficult to relax. If you have any further issues, feel free to send them to my assistant. Good afternoon, Vice-Chairman"

Samantha clenched her fist and the holograms shut off, terminating the connection. The windows de-polarised, letting the brilliant light from the Varia System's three suns stream into the room. Samantha strode over to one of the wall of windows and gazed out across the surface of Excelsum Aquas. As its name would imply, Ex-Aquas (as it was commonly called) was covered entirely in a shallow tropical sea known as Ultima Oceanus.

The sole exception to this was the small archipelago system that the city of Crescent Bay was constructed on, though the city had long since outgrown the tiny islands. In fact, the vast majority of Crescent Bay was built on enormous floating platforms, Samantha's own home of Haven Towers included. Technically part of the Haven Entertainment And Commerical Complex, the huge construct sat a few miles out from downtown Crescent Bay, connected to the core by a six-lane highway and tram system. The twin towers of the complex were both ultra high-end apartments, while the base was composed of a shopping and retail area, plus a wide array of nightclubs, bars, and restaurants.

For her part, Samantha had purchased the premier penthouse on the complex long before the construction was even finished. This had allowed her to customise the penthouse to her liking, and though most of her time was spent on the job in COZ Alpha, knowing that she had a tropical paradise to retreat to was a calming kernel of thought in her mind. The penthouse was enormous, taking up four stories of the West Tower, and featured a splendid multi-level roof deck, complete with infinity pools, kitchen, and even twin landing pads for shuttles and such. It was to this rooftop lounge that Samantha now retired to, taking a short elevator ride up from the conference room.

From the roof, Samantha could look out over the vast and empty Ultima Oceanus, or turning to the north, the glittering and lively downtown of Crescent Bay. Far below in the water was a flotilla of boats, almost all of them luxury yachts and pleasure cruisers. A few large ferries shuttled people back and forth between the Ex-Aquas Space Elevator and Crescent Bay, which was truly the only major settlement on the planet. This was a necesary service since Crescent Bay didn't have any facilities to accolade ships beyond shuttle size, forcing anything larger than that to dock at the Ex-Aquas Orbital Station, where passengers could take the space elevator down to the surface.

Taking in the view, Samantha sat down in one of the deck's many lounge chairs, idly flipping through news reports on her PHS. As excepted, many of them were about the Port Teller incident. To be honest, Samantha was feeling somewhat remorseful at what she had caused, however indirectly. Her orders to the "contractors" had been to eliminate as many of the upper echelon members of the FFCM as possible, with little to no direction on how exactly to go about it. It was, in her experience, far more efficient and far safer to leave specifics and details up to the hired guns; that way if they got caught, it would be nearly impossible to prove any Conglomerate involvement.

A gentle beeping shook Samantha from her thoughts. Her PHS flashed the "incoming message" icon, and a quick tap brought up the face of her chief assistant, Tyler White.

"Miss LaRose?"

Samantha nodded, sitting upright so the PHS would have a clearer view of her face, "Yes, yes, what is it? You do remember that I'm on vacation, right?"

Tyler nodded apologetically, " Apologies miss, but I thought you might want to know....well, remember that.....'thing' you told me to keep a look out for?"

"Of course. Why? Have you found it?" Samantha was now sitting fully upright, "Come out, out with it"

"I may have found someone who has. Sultan called in a few minutes ago. Said he had a package he would be willing to trade for some big bucks"

Samantha grimaced and swore under her breath; Sultan was a notorious black-market dealer, and there was never a price too high that he wouldn't try and get away with charging. Nonetheless, if he truly did have what she had been looking for....

"Taylor, put out a message on the Overnet. Same one as last time. Vague, but enticing. And contact the Malleo. Tell SC Harper to go to Volera and hold position there. I don't want our people getting involved, but this is too important to leave entirely up to mercs"

Taylor nodded as Samantha spoke, seemingly taking notes as he listened, "Will do. I'll contact you when Harper has confirmed his orders, and if there's any response to the ad". The feed went dead, and Samantha leaned back once again, staring up into space. She had been waiting a long time for this opportunity to come along, and now that it was finally here, she could hardly believe it.

--------------------------

Across the entirety of known space, on every possible media outlet and Overnet (or foreign equivalent), a message was posted:

To All Interested Parties:

The Columbia Conglomerate is currently seeking to employ an individual or group to retrieve a highly valuable cargo shipment that was misappropriated in the course of its journey. Due to the sensitive nature of the cargo, all persons involved must be trained in combat and be ready for potentially dangerous situations. Payment will be negotiated in person, and will be paid in full upon completion of the assignment.

Please respond to this message if interested. Meeting coordinates will be sent in return.
Last edited by United Citizens Republics on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:12 am, edited 12 times in total.
Factbook: See Nation Page, Click "Factbook" Button
Naval Register: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=155457

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:05 pm

AXIS Macehead, Ready Room...

Calista Avant crossed one leg over the other as she looked at the woman sitting across from her. Sevrina Kang stared back, the redheaded human's short, straight hair framing her pale, unsmiling face as she folded two gloved hands on the desk. After a moment those cool gray eyes dropped down to the terminal in front of her, and Calista allowed her own eyes to wander freely. Staring matches were tiresome and belonged to the realm of amateurs, but Kang was not a very trusting person so she had to just sit and wait for the good captain to finish reading the missive. When she was finally done the ex-Enrustian looked back up, expression unchanged.

"So we don't even know what it is that we'll be looking for."

"No," Calista shook her head. "We don't. But that's not really important. What is important is that it's the Conglomerate that's offering."

Her eyes dipped back to the screen. "I've never heard of this Conglomerate."

"It's not an Imperial organization. They're a corporate group based and operating out of the United Citizen's Republic. They're into everything, manufacturing, mining, construction, security, communications, shipbuilding, all sorts of industries. Easily a megacorp, and they've got plenty of political clout, both in foreign affairs and especially the domestic policy of the UCR. So you can see why we want some sort of inroad with them."

"Why you do, yes," Kang looked back up. "And what if I don't like whatever it is that they're saying we should go get?"

Calista shrugged. "Then you can drop Ryuki and I and go along your merry way. We can charter another ship, if we need to. But we'd prefer not to have to do that."

"Fine. I'll hear them out, at least. But you know how I run my ship. I leave it up to a crew vote, and if a majority says no, we don't do it."

"I understand," Calista got to her feet. She'd gotten what she needed from the conversation. "Anything else, captain?"

"No. We'll be dropping out of hyperspace in five minutes, by the way. Hope these Conglomerate friends of yours are ready."

"I let them know that we're coming. I'm sure they will be," Calista nodded and turned away, stepping out of the ready room on padded feet. The hatch let out to the bridge, where four consoles were set up for the senior staff of the privateer Macehead, including the vixen first officer who glanced at her and nodded, the Zillar tactical officer who was playing a game on his terminal for want of anything else to do, and the tod instruments officer reviewing previous logs. She walked out into the main access corridor beyond, went around the escape pod bay and into the passenger quarters hall. Her cabin was the first hatch on the left, which she accessed with the swipe of a keycard.

Three bunks were stacked against one bulkhead, with the rest of the space taken up by a desktop terminal and a trio of chairs around a low table. The highest bunk was occupied by several duffel bags that complemented the trunks, briefcases and backpacks scattered around the compartment, full of enough weapons, gear and money to outfit a small espionage force. It was all hers: Ryuki carried so little that it all fit on the middle bunk with him. That was where the gray-furred tod was sitting, shirtless and barefoot as usual, with a crimson blindfold wrapped around his head and his staff of gnarled wood across his lap. His legs were folded under him, tail and ears so still that he might have been asleep, but his head turned in her direction as she stepped inside.

"We're about five 'til," she said, reaching over one of the chairs to grab a briefcase.

"Very well," he said, claws stroking up and down his staff. "Will Kang continue to support us?"

"We'll have to see when we meet these people," Calista looked at him, case in hand. "Depends on what they want."

"Is it not the same for us?"

"I guess. But she doesn't need to know that."

A rumble reverberated through the ship and she knew they had just left hyperspace. "Come on, Ryu," she waved a hand at him even though she knew he couldn't see it. "The three of us are going to meet them one way or another. Even if it's on the bridge you'll still have to stop meditating and come out."

Extending his feet out, he stretched his toes, popping his claws out briefly before he swung them over the side of the bed and hopped down to the deck, staff in hand. "What makes you think that makes me stop meditating?"

She sighed. "You're always speaking in questions. Don't you ever get tired of trying to teach people things?"

"I cannot teach anyone anything," he said as they stepped out into the hall. "I can only make them think."
Last edited by Xiscapia on Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xis quote of the week: Altaria Almighty: how are you not just a race of sexual predators? Like who needs power armour and gauss rifles when you have leather and whips. –Karaig
The Kitsune Empire of Xiscapia's FT Factbook (V2.5)
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Citizens Republics » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:48 am

Excelsum Aquas Stellar Lift Counterweight Station
Province Of Hyperia

As the Macehead dropped out of hyperspace, they would find themselves in fairly empty space. Ex-Aquas lay below, the single ocean coloured a dazzling sapphire blue, with strands of white clouds drifting slowly through the atmosphere. The system's twin suns hung opposite each other; Varia Alpha was a common main sequence star, but Varia Beta was a rare blue star, and the light it cast bathe everything in subtle shades of ultramarine. In terms of infrastructure, there was fairly little to behold. The most obvious feature was the stellar lift counterweight station, an enormous wheel-shaped construct three miles in diameter, with ten spokes leading from the outer docking ring to the inner hub. The entire station was painted navy blue and white, and an enormous hologram than ran around the outside of the docking ring showed the ID number of each docking station.

There were many, many ships present, but almost all of them were luxury yachts or pleasure cruisers of various sizes. A few large cruise ships sat just off the docking ring, large umbilicals linking them to the station. But to anyone who arrived, one ship would stand out. It was docked at its own section of the docking ring, completely isolated from any other vessels. The vessel had clearly been a Helfield-Class destroyer at some point, but it was now far from a military ship. The whole of the nine-hundred and forty metre ship had been painted matte white, with glittering geometric gold patterns running the length. The vessel's name was spelled out in black lettering on the front, accompanied by the logo of the Columbia Conglomerate; CPV Umbra Albis.

Accompanying it were two actual Helfield-Class destroyers, and a single Valhalla-Class battleship; all three were painted the menacing matte black and dark blue of the Columbia Conglomerate's Naval Security Force. It was clear that, although Ex-Aquas was about as safe and quiet a place as could be found, the owner of the Umbra Albis wasn't taking any chances with their safety.

A transmission soon came through to the Macehead,

"Macehead, this is Excelsum Aquas Orbital Control. You have been granted Class One security clearance for the duration of your stay here, and are exempt from usual security and customs procedures. Please proceed to docking station 10. The head of Miss LaRose's security will be there to meet you"

As the Macehead arrived at the docking station, a series of holographic markers appeared around the vessel, flashing green as they properly aligned with the station. Four red lights appeared on the station as a hatch slid open and a long docking tunnel extended outwards, magnetically sealing onto the side of the Macehead with a solid "thunk". At the same time, two large docking clamps emerged and attached themselves to the foreign vessels, clamping it it place. An announcement the came through the transmission system,

"Docking procedure complete. Exterior air pressure has been equalised with interior air pressure. Air locks may be opened at this time"

The interior of the docking tube the crew would find themselves in was suitably high-end, given the high-class clientele the planet catered to. The floor and ceiling were matching shades of light blue, with holographic patterning giving both the appearance of light reflecting through water. The walls were gently curved outwards and painted a subtle off-white, and holographic advertisements drifted about, generally following the crew as they walked down the tube. Most of them were advertisements for various restaurants and clubs in Crescent Bay, though a few advertised other planets and tourist destinations.

The doors at the far end of the tube led into what could really only be described as a Modernist Art-Deco lobby. The floor was made of white marble, with dark black lines running in symmetrical geometric patterns across it. The walls were done in a dark blue colour, interrupted every five feet or so by rectangular brass columns, themselves marked with vertically running wooden inlays. The areas between the columns where the wall met the ceiling featured a geometrically-stylised illuminated glass sunburst motifs, complete with holographic rays beaming out of them. This was to say nothing of the ceiling, which was a work of art in and of itself; gorgeous bronze panelling, interspaced with strips of mirror running lengthwise across the space. Built-in light panels provided decorative illumination to the room.

Standing at the far side of the room was man clad in starkly modern dress; straight black slacks, a dark grey shirt with asymmetrical buttons running from the bottom right to the top left, and a high, stiff collar. He had a large handgun prominently mounted on his hip, and his left hand was in fact a prosthetic, rendered dark nanocarbon and nanomuscle fibres. He himself was a young gentleman, probably no older than 30 or so, with a short military haircut and piercing gold eyes. He had flawless skin and facial structure, but despite his stern appearance he smiled as the foreigners approach.

"Welcome to Excelsum Aquas, ladies and gentlemen. I am Torbjörn Röhas, head of Miss LaRose's security detail." Torbjörn spoke in the highly clipped and stoic manner one might expect from a corporate officer, "Miss LaRose instructed me to take you to her residence on the surface as soon as you arrived. I can also answer any questions you may have"

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:02 am

AXIS Macehead, Bridge...

Among all the personal ships and luxury yachts the Macehead stuck out like a shark in a school of seals. As small as it was the Scarab class had been specifically designed for commerce raiding, as the ship's obvious weapons and minimized profile suggested, so the privateer hung off from Excelsum Aquas. On the bridge Calista and Ryuki had both joined Kang to watch the station make its slow turn, at least initially. But even the 4,800 meter superstructure paled in comparison to the presence of the quartet of warships occupying its lower side, each big enough to be considered a heavy cruiser or larger by Xiscapian classifications, and that was what all eyes went to. Calista wasn't sure if Ryuki was even aware of the vessels, but all it took was one looked at Kang's pursed lips and the glances from her crew to show what they thought of them.

So the comms officer answered the station's hail with a note of relief, and the vixen in charge of the helm began to maneuver the Macehead "down" to the waiting dock. "As I said before," Calista murmured. "They have a lot of influence." Kang just nodded tightly. Most government forces and official types took a dim view of privateers, if they differentiated them from pirates at all, and she could tell that the woman didn't like being so close to warships that could no doubt easily overpower her own. Not about to try to convince her any further, the Abhuman just waited until a connection with the station was confirmed before leading Ryuki and Kang down.

It was a quick walk from the bridge down the port-side main access corridor to take the trio to the lift that put them down a deck. On the lowest deck they stepped around a Dirk class fighter in the ship's single bay to get to the port personnel airlock. She stepped through with the case in hand and her partner and the ship's captain in tow, two sets of boots tromping down the tube while Ryuki's naked paws made no sound on the deck. The extensive advertisements along the length of the corridor made up for that, though as he couldn't see them and the two females ignored them they might as well not even have been there. Their real interest lay ahead.

Calista's expression was neutral as they entered the ostentatiously rich lobby. From the way Kang's lip curled a little and her eyes narrowed she could tell the woman didn't approve of this either, not that she particularly blamed her. It seemed a bit overdone to her, but she had to wonder if the good captain was ever happy about anything. It was Ryuki who "looked" around the compartment with the most interest, head turning this way and that, though she couldn't rightly say whether he could actually see any of it. Soon enough his head turned to face the man, perhaps sensing him by some arcane means or simply through his nose, and Calista stared as well, sizing him up.

He smiled and she smiled too, nodding as he introduced himself. "Thank you, Mr. Röhas," the name flowed off her tongue flawlessly as she bid him to lead on with a flick of her hand. "My friends and I appreciate it," she walked beside him, leaving Ryuki and Kang to take the rear. "I'll let Miss LaRose tell us what she has to say herself. I am curious, though, as to the make of your gun?" she indicated his holstered pistol even as she gave him a subtle scan. Her own weapon, a .50 caliber Anti-Armor Xiscapian Emergency Sidearm, or AAXES, was no less visible, but she liked to think her cybernetics were less overt, at least to the kind of sweep she was giving his internals with her cybereyes in turn.
Xis quote of the week: Altaria Almighty: how are you not just a race of sexual predators? Like who needs power armour and gauss rifles when you have leather and whips. –Karaig
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Citizens Republics » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:43 am

Province Of Hyperia

Torbjörn smiled and unclipped the pistol from its holster, holding it up for Calista to view. The handgun was about as proper a piece of machinery as could be imagined, and it's semi-chrome finish was polished to a shine.

"Columbia Conglomerate Armaments Type 10B Combat Handgun, Marine Corps Model. Chambered for, well, four separate types of rounds, but right now I've got it equipped with .45 Turner rounds" Torbjörn spoke as he showed off the weapon, clipping it back into the holster after a short while, "But we should be on our way. Miss LaRose is waiting"

Torbjörn led the foreign contingent to the only other door in the room, which was made seemingly of gold-gilded wood. Approaching it, Torbjörn held out his right hand, where his PHS lit up and projected an image onto the door. The door glowed briefly in response, then slid sideways and opened. Beyond it was a tram station platform that, in comparison to the room they had just left, was about as minimalistic as could be. The floor was simple white matte metal, which curved gently upwards at the walls, which then in turn curved gently inwards to become the ceiling, glowing lightplates in the ceiling cast a gentle glow throughout the room, while colourful advertisements drifted around the walls.

As if on queue, a sleek gunmetal grey tram slid into the station, its doors sliding open silently. The interior was much like the station; simple, clean, and modern. The exception were the seats, which were coated in a neon blue gel that conformed to one's body as they sat in it. Torbjörn took his seat, motioning for his guests to do the same. Once everyone seated, the tram beeped and the doors closed, and with nary a sound the tram began to accelerate into a tunnel.

"Welcome to the Excelsum Aquas Counterweight Station. Be advised that this is a secure facility. Passengers are advised to keep an eye on their belongings at all times, and to report any unattended baggage to security personnel. Please note that security personnel may request your ID at any time."

The computerised announcement played perfectly in-time with the tram's arrival in the central transit hub. After the tram had slid to a stop, the doors opened, light poured in, and Torbjörn let his guests disembark first before he followed suit. What lay beyond was a demonstration in modernist glory. He hub was an enormous circular domed room, immense in scale and scope. The room's height was well over a thousand feet, and the dome high above was composed of alternating vertical strips of shiny chrome metal and a see-through material of some sort, granting a view out into the space beyond. Dominating the centre of the room was an enormous column that ran from the floor to the top of the dome, which was decorated with holographic images and banners galore. Halfway up the column was a large structure, labeled via its holographic sign as "Club Astra".

The ground level was composed of concentric rings, separated by canals of glittering blue watering, The centre of the room, the area around the base of the column, was surrounded by four huge rectangular blocks labelled 1-4, and at their base hundreds of people were queuing up. At the next ring out from the centre were a wide array of shops and restaurants, where people milled about and the sound of laughter and chatting could be heard throughout the room. Each layer out from that was a combination of gardens, plazas, and various open-air spaces.

Torbjörn smiled and let his guests take it in, "And here we are. Welcome to the Central Hub"
As he spoke he motioned towards the numbered structures in the centre, "Those are the lines for the actual stellar lift. Thank the Divines we don't have to take that. Bloody queue can take hours to get through with security and all"

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Excelsum Aquas Stellar Lift Counterweight Station...

Taking the moment to admire the 10B as it was shown to her, Calista smiled and nodded even as her scanners passed over the weapon and brought up the relevant information. Very sophisticated by Xiscapian standards, who hadn't adapted nearly as much modularity or raw technology into their own firearms. There may well be money to be made just in the market alone, she thought as they walked into the tram station, but with the help of the Columbia Conglomerate they could turn a benefit into a windfall. She and Ryuki took their seats in the tram without hesitation, Calista letting the case rest on her lap, though Kang looked like she would have sooner stood if she could have gotten away with it. As it was she begrudgingly settled in next to her counterparts until they arrived at the next station.

When they got out Calista's first instinct was to look up as the interior space yawned open before her. It was a dizzying transition from the tight, enclosed stations in Kitsune Imperial space, all dark, cold and never taking up more space than was absolutely necessary, but a welcome one. She would have preferred not to glimpse open space above, but no doubt the translucent material was transparasteel or something similar, just as strong as the rest of the hull. Letting her gaze fall along the column in the center, she lingered on the opening to the club before finally bringing her attention down to the pools of water and people lining up just a stone's throw away from the proper living space of the station. She glanced over at her companions, but Ryuki's expression never changed from a small smile and Kang had the inverse in her perpetual frown.

"Those are the lines for the actual stellar lift. Thank the Divines we don't have to take that. Bloody queue can take hours to get through with security and all"

"I assume Miss LaRose sent a private ship, then?" Calista asked.
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Citizens Republics » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:14 pm

Torbjörn nodded as Calista made her query, "Of course! You are guests of Miss LaRose, and she never makes her guest wait in....", he motioned towards the seemingly growing queue for the stellar lift, "....in that. I once spent five hours in that damn line. Never again"

He began walking towards a bridge that led over one of the rings of water to the next plaza in, crossing it in a leisurely manner. The water that ran below was full of colourful tropical fish, which flitted to and fro as people tossed small bits of bread into the pond. A few jumped up out of the water as people neared the water's edge, the light glistening off their multicolour scales for a moment before they went back down into the water with a small splash.

As the entered the plaza it became incredibly apparent that this was a place for the rich. Everyone there was clad in the latest fashions, with styles ranging from fancied-up military-style jackets to bold black-and-white pattern shirts for the men, and elegant colour-changing dresses to variously colored jackets and skirts for the women. Everyone, no matter the clothing, had on a PHS of one style or another, and every type of jewelry was on display: fabulously shiny watches, rings, necklaces, and anything else one could imagine. The people themselves were a sight to behold as well. Everyone looked, for lack of a better word, perfect. It was a well known fact that genetic engineering was about as common as could be amongst the upper class. Wealthy parents could have engineering done in-utero, so their child would like exactly like they wanted it to, and be as smart and physically fit as genetics could manage. The result was that the wealthy all looked absolutely flawless. Almost inhumanly so.

Nevertheless, everyone was happy. There was a palpable sense of joy in the air that everyone could feel. This place was happy.

But there was also something else.

It was perhaps that nobody Ryuki would notice it. It was slight. Barely there. Beneath the tide of good emotions and feelings was a dark undercurrent. There was seemingly no source. No origin. It was just there in the background like white noise. And with it, a sensation that only the psychicaly attuned would notice.

They were being watched.

But Torbjörn wasn't a psychic of any sort, so he continue leading the group on towards another bridge that led back to a different section of the outer ring. This section was clearly different from the rest; the doorway in front of them was black and gold, with the Columbia Conglomerate logo emblazoned on and above it. A red carpet led from the bridge to the door, and flanking this entryway were two CC guards. Both were clad in matte black full power armour, with nasty looking energy rifles in their hands. In the armor the guards stood well over eight feet tall, but as menacing as they looked, neither so much as flinched as Torbjörn waved his PHS I.D screen at them and walked on through the door.

Inside, the group would find themselves in a lobby that just screamed corporate chic. Glossy black metal walls. White quartz floors. Simple metal chandeliers that were both modern yet tasteful. And of course, the Conglomerate logo displayed in a real-colour 3D hologram hovering in the center of the lobby.

"This is Miss LaRose's private hangar. There is a shuttle waiting to take you down to her penthouse in Port Crescent." Torbjörn motioned to the set of doors across the lobby, "I'm afraid I have.....duties to attend to up here, so I'm unable to accompany you for this trip. But the head of Miss LaRose's personal assistance detail will meet you there."

He saluted to the foreigners as they made their way to the shuttle, briefly waving before the doors closed.

The private shuttle was, as one would expect a private shuttle to be, luxurious. But it was luxurious in the modern sense, not the opulent sense. The exterior was a sleek black and gold design, while the inside was composed of dark mahogany trim, black leather seating, tastefully understated holographic control panels, and a very well stocked bar. A polite voice informed them that they were about to depart, and with a gentle thunk, the shuttle left its berth and set out towards the planet below.

As the shuttle breached the atmosphere, the vast Ultima Oceanus grew ever larger in the windows. The entire ocean glittered in the slowly setting sunlight, but the glitter of the ocean was soon replaced by the glittering towers of Port Crescent. The city itself was massive, taking up the entirety of the islands it sat on (save for the long stretches of white sand beaches), and had long ago sprawled beyond the land. In fact, the majority of the city was now built on a series of elaborate artificial islands and elevated platforms, connected to each other via skyways and ferry routes.

Haven Towers stood out tall and separate from the bulk of the city, and as the shuttle dropped in altitude and went into hover mode, the sheer size of the towers became apparent. The shuttle sidled up to a docking platform that extended out from the side of the tower, a few floors down from the rooftop, and settled down gently.

The shuttle doors slid open, and standing waiting for the foreigners was a young woman. She appeared only 25 or so, and wore a matte black, mid-thick length dress, which was patterned with four silver lines running around the waist and then down to the hem. Black and silver high heels, and shiny platinum jewelry completed the outfit. Her red hair was done up in a bun with two white ceramic chopstick-style rods holding it in place, which clashed nicely with her shimmering emerald eyes. When Calista and her people hs disembarked, the woman smiled and bowed slightly before addressing them.

"Welcome to Crescent Tower ladies and gentlemen. I am Cornelia Heidlen, Miss LaRose's chief of staff. It's a pleasure to meet all of you. If you'll follow me, I'll bring you to the parlor." She turned and walked to the door leading into the tower.

Beyond that door was an enormous room, sleek and modern in every regard. The room was long and rectangular, with glittering marble floors and walls made of alternating strips of viewscreens showing views of the ocean and city beyond, and brushed matte metal panels. The ceiling had a series of crystal and chrome chandeliers which cast a patterned light onto the floor and walls. Numerous incredibly comfortable couches lined the walls, set next to tables and chairs of a similar aesthetic style to the rest of the room. Cornelia motioned towards the couches and chairs, "Please take a seat. Miss LaRose will be with you shortly. May I get any of you a beverage?"
Last edited by United Citizens Republics on Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:54 pm

Excelsum Aquas Stellar Lift Counterweight Station...

Walking into the plaza produced a sensation of déjà vu in Calista. The carefully built architecture designed to maximize beauty, the high-fashion clothes and trinkets that people adorned themselves with, and most of all the almost too perfect looks and movements of the people all around reminded her of being on Alversia. There was no question in her mind that all of these people had been gene-modded just like the Alversians did at a state level, making themselves intelligent, spotless and disease-free before they were even born, and that just made her feel like she, half-naked Ryuki and scowling Kang were standing out all the more. It wouldn't have looked like a ripe spot for a string of burglaries if it hadn't been so creepy. When everyone looked perfect they all started to look the same; she'd noticed it on Alversia and it was even more obvious here on Excelsum Aquas. Suppressing a shiver, she glanced sidelong at the window of a cafe, not so much looking inside as checking her surroundings in the reflection without being obvious about it.

That was when she realized that Ryuki was staring at her. He couldn't really stare of course, at least as far as she knew, but her eyes went directly to his blindfold anyway. With a polite nod to Torbjörn she let herself fall a few steps back to walk alongside the tod, closer to him and Kang than to their guide. No one seemed to even take much notice of them at all, but she could tell just by how Ryuki's ears rotated back and forth that something was wrong. "What is it?" she asked without looking at him, her own eyes cutting across the crowds. Behind her she could hear Kang's footsteps picking up pace to get in earshot.

"It's just a feeling I've got. A bad feeling, underneath it all. Like we're being watched," he spoke facing ahead, leaning heavily on his staff as they walked. "I don't know where it's coming from. But there's something out there, and I don't think it likes us."

Nodding, Calista glanced back over her shoulder at Kang. The woman raised an eyebrow but said nothing, and the Abhuman allowed her pace to increase to match Torbjörn's again. She'd long since learned to trust Ryuki's instincts, regardless if she'd seen or felt anything herself or not. Unfortunately he could also be frustratingly vague. They could be walking into a trap, or about to be attacked, or even simply too close to act of sabotage, but she had no way of knowing. So the furred female just tried to keep her pace and breathing steady and show no signs of apprehension even as Ryuki and Kang bunched up a little closer.

She almost stopped when she saw the two armed guards, but Torbjörn walked right past them with only a flick of his I.D. and they didn't move, so she padded on after him. It felt like she didn't start breathing again until they were past the soldiers and in the compartment beyond. It was only when their guide spoke that she realized that it was a hangar, or rather, a lobby to a hangar, which wasn't something she'd ever seen before. Summoning up a smile for Torbjörn, she nodded to the man. "Thank you. I'll pass my compliments along to Miss LaRose," she told him, and made for the doors to the bay proper. On the way she glanced again at Ryuki, but he just gave the smallest shake of his head, assuring her that it was safe to go through.
Not that she felt safe, but at least they weren't going to be walking into hard vacuum.

Ultima Oceanus was beautiful in its own right, even if it was no doubt as fake as the people she'd seen crowding the station, but Calista couldn't rightfully enjoy it. As she stood in the ornate shuttle cabin she knew that if anyone wanted to dispose of them then this would probably be the best place to do it. It would be laughably easy to just vent them into space, or crash the shuttle into the sea, or even just have it be an "unfortunate victim" of a pirate attack or friendly fire. Those were ways she would do it if she wanted to get rid of unwelcome visitors, anyway. But for all her heart pounded and Kang looked uneasily around, as if expecting to be shot at any moment, the journey passed by uneventfully until they finally set down. Exhaling her exasperation, Calista shot a look at Ryuki before stepping off the transport.

In the dying evening light she inhaled the warm, salty air of this new planet and freely looked over the edge of the landing platform to the ground so many meters below. The city seemed to be practically on the horizon with how far away Haven Towers were, firmly separated from the population center to give its occupants the privacy they could afford. But the woman standing on the platform quickly arrested her attention, and Calista knew even as she studied her that this was no doubt the "personal assistance detail" that Torbjörn had mentioned. She must be quite the assistant if they call her a detail and there's only one of her, she thought as she looked the redhead up and down. But then from what she'd seen so far LaRose was a believer in minimalism, at least when it came to her personnel.

"Welcome to Crescent Tower ladies and gentlemen. I am Cornelia Heidlen, Miss LaRose's chief of staff. It's a pleasure to meet all of you. If you'll follow me, I'll bring you to the parlor."

"Charmed," Calista said with a smile before following along behind. Too much of the meet-and-greet routine could be wearisome, but she'd rather go through a hundred pleasantries than one firefight. Particularly if it was with someone who had Heidlen's looks and fashion sense. No doubt the woman was just as modded as the others she'd seen on the station, but when she had the benefit of being alone it was a lot easier to appreciate. Ryuki and Kang walked behind her into the long marble room with its view of the ocean and the gleaming chandeliers.

"Please take a seat. Miss LaRose will be with you shortly. May I get any of you a beverage?"

"No, but thank you for offering," Calista smiled as Ryuki and Kang likewise shook their heads. At the invitation the Abhuman settled onto one of the plush chairs, setting her case down beside her as Ryuki sat down on the sofa next to it. Kang seemed to prefer to remain standing just behind her, back to the wall and her arms folded. "Please tell Miss LaRose that she can take her time. With a waiting room like this I don't think any of us would mind."
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Citizens Republics » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:31 pm

Haven Towers

Cornelia smiled and nodded, bowing to the guests one last time before turning and making her way out of a door on the far end of the lobby.

Five or so minutes passed. Outside the windows, the sun had just about completed its descent behind the horizon, and in response the chandeliers began to softly illuminate. The room was bathed in a gentle white light that perfectly complimented the decor. The windows, previously tinted to filter out some of the sun, now reverted to their completely transparent form. The sight outside was one of almost total darkness; the ocean noting but a black morass, lit up with the tiny twinkling lights of hundreds of boats. Port Crescent was an enormous blob of light in the distance, punctuated with spotlights that sliced through the darkness and shone high into the sky. In the opposite direction from Port Crescent was the space elevator, a tower of flashing red and orange warning lights and spotlights, which stretched infinitely on towards the heavens.

Hidden speakers began to pipe just barely audible classical music into the room. As the sun set completely beyond the horizon, hidden wall sconces emerged and cast an extra bit of glow into the enormous room, adding to the sophisticated feel of the place. And only a minute or two later, the door opened and Cornelia entered once more.

"Thank you for you patience. Miss LaRose will see you now" She waited for everyone to be standing and where she was before motioning to the door besides the one she had entered through, "This lift will take you to Miss LaRose's office. I'll be waiting for you here once you return"

The doors opened, exposing the interior of the lift. It was in-line with the design of the lobby; mirrored walls, interrupted by matte brushed metal panels. The floor was metal designed to look like marble, and the ceiling was a dark mahogany paneling. There were no buttons on the inside of the lift, but once everyone was inside, the doors shut automatically, and the lift began to ascend. It only took a second or two before the lift stopped and the doors opened once again.

Calista and her group would find themselves deposited directly into the office. The room was enormous and shaped like a rectangle with the far side rounded off. The walls to either side of them, plus the far wall, were made entirely of floor-to-ceiling windows, providing a stunning view of the tower's surroundings. The floor was clean white marble with small red tile lines running down either side until they met at either end and then merged almost a red border on either end of the floor. Chandeliers almost identical to the ones in the lobby provided illumination for the room, since it was now fully night outside.

There was very little there in terms of furniture; there were two chairs flanking the elevator door, and across the room, a large glass and steel desk with four chairs in front of it. The far side of the desk held a tall black leather chair facing away from them. But as the lift door shut, the chair rotated, and Miss LaRose stood up.

She was clad in what could only be described as an event dress, and certainly not business attire. She eyed the group for a moment, then motioned towards the chairs. Once they were seated, Samantha took her seat as well.

"So you're the group that responded to my ad I see. Interesting." She looked to Calista, "I would introduce myself, but I'm certain that it would be an unnecessary step at this point"

Samantha leaned back in her chair, "I apologise for my.....informal appearance. Immediately after you leave I am attending a function downtown, and I didn't want to waste time getting changed and ready once we're done here", she said, looking at each one of them in turn before speaking again, "Speaking of which, lets get down to business."

She held up two fingers, "Actually, before I begin, let me address two questions I'm certain you plan on asking. What's the cargo, and what's the pay", Samantha smiled somewhat slyly as she put down one finger, "To the second question, the pay is.....negotiable. This is more of a personal favour to me than it is an assignment relevant to the Conglomerate, but you may consider this a trial run of sorts. To see if you're compatible with my and the company's way of doing things."

The second finger went down.

"As for the first question, the answer is that the nature of the cargo is irrelevant to you. Knowing what it is provides no advantage in terms of your ability to acquire it. All I will tell you is that it is incredibly valuable." Samantha got an intense look as she spoke on the manner, softening once the topic was passed, "Now then! The details."

A quick tap on her PHS brought up a large hologram of a planet, "This is the planet Lavern, in the Techitza-System. It's a backwater hellhole, notorious throughout the nation as a den of thieves and scoundrels. It's also famous for having one of the largest black markets in the country. If you need it, you can probably find it on Lavern."

Samantha swiped on her PHS, and the hologram shifted to become a bird's-eye view of a city, "This is the planetary capital of Oswald. Located in the underground sections of the city is the black market I mentioned before, and ruling over this black market is a crime-lord who calls himself 'Sultan'. We don't know very much about him other than that he was probably a former FSS officer, which is why he's able to evade the authorities."

The hologram once again shifted, displaying what appeared to be an incredibly secure grey box, complete with a fancy locking system and exterior armour supports. Samantha took a moment to sip some water, then went back to the briefing, "This is your target. Sultan is currently in possession of it, and has demanded a ridiculous sum. I'd really rather not pay, and that's where you all come in. Go to Lavern, find Sultan and retrieve the package. Simple." She shut off the hologram and leaned back, "Any questions?"
Last edited by United Citizens Republics on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:06 pm

Haven Towers...

As the natural light faded and artificial lights came on, the windows lost their smoky tint and soft classical music wafted over them Calista reflected on what a fine place this would make for an ambush. If the lights could be turned on and transparency of the windows increased remotely, it seemed to her that the lights could be turned off and the windows blackened in the same manner, plunging them into total darkness. Even breaking the windows probably wouldn't help much, given the depths of the night outside. Eardrum-splitting music or raw white noise could be piped in through the speakers, deafening as well as blinding them, and from there it would be a simple matter to just shoot the guests while they were still dazed and confused. She had her own countermeasures for such things, including natural night vision, but it was a possibility that stuck in Calista's mind nonetheless.

But no such attack materialized before Cornelia reappeared to beckon them back. "Thank you," Calista nodded to her as the trio walked past into the elevator. That set the Abhuman's instincts screaming too. You never used an unknown elevator if you could avoid it: at best it might break down and strand you, and at worst trapping yourself in such an enclosed space was a death sentence. She'd once heard about an assassin who killed a target by entering the man's office building as a maintenance worker, replaced the floor of his elevator with a hologram imitation and let him simply fall through when he went to leave his fortieth-story office. Days went by before anyone realized what had happened, and by then the assassin was long gone. But her sensors told her that the floor was very much real, so despite there being any controls at all she relaxed a little as they stepped onto the lift and it bore them upwards.

As before, Calista took a quick look around the office space. Lots of empty space, both inside and out. Clutter was clearly not an issue for Miss LaRose. At this point she'd come to expect the sort of minimalist glamor, but what she wasn't expecting was LaRose herself. It wasn't so much the woman as what she was wearing, and her eyes traveled down over her dress and back up as she took her seat. As the introductory pleasantries were cast aside Calista just waved a hand, indicating that it was fine. LaRose needed no introductions, and her own team didn't particularly want any either. She eyed her and Calista looked right back, locking eyes with her for a moment before she took the time to look at Ryuki, who just smiled. In contrast Kang was as humorless as ever.

As LaRose got right to the point Calista save her a small, encouraging smile in return. They all watched and listened throughout, or at least Ryuki did the best he could, though his expression was the only one that didn't change from his usual stoic cheerfulness. By the end of it Kang's mouth had tightened into a thin line, eyes narrowed at the other human, and Calista's smile was gone. Silence passed for a moment before the two females glanced at each other. Turning away, Kang started in.

"The nature of the cargo is relevant to me, since I'm probably going to be the one transporting it," she said, leaning forward in her seat. "Acquiring is one thing. Moving is another. So there's things I want to know. Is it volatile or otherwise dangerous? Is it alive? If I need to, can I space it and come back for it? If the authorities catch me with it am I going to be in deep shit? Does anyone else but you and Sultan know about it? I don't really care about whatever secret you're trying to keep," she shrugged, "but if this thing is liable to destroy my ship from being bumped the wrong way, I want to know."
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Citizens Republics » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:54 pm

Haven Towers

Samantha leveled a look a Kang, her one visible eye sweeping the red-head's face for a moment or two before she sighed. This foreigner of course had every right to be asking the questions she was; that being said, Samantha had been hoping there would be no need to go into excessive detail. Nonetheless, nothing Kang asked would reveal anything about the package, so Samantha merely politely smiled and nodded,

"Well, allow me to answer your questions. To your foremost concern, the cargo in question poses no threat to you, your crew, or your ship. So you can bump it all you want, though I would ask you to avoid causing any unnecessary damage." She paused for a moment as her PHS flashed, but quickly swiped away the notification and carried on, answering the remaining questions without skipping a beat, "The cargo is not alive, no. Inanimate object you see. No need for concern on that front. You could space it, but as I mentioned, Lavern is not exactly the type of place where unattended cargo would be unattended for long. And seeing as I'm not paying you to lose the cargo for me, I would advise you against that course of action. As for the authorities, I've taken care of that. Nobody will bother you except for local criminals and such. And the only persons who know about this particular object are indeed myself, Sultan." Now Samantha paused, as if carefully choosing her next words, "Though to be honest, I believe only I actually know just how special it is. Sultan likely thinks its just something shiny can sell"

Another pause, this time to finish the glass of water. Samantha set the glass aside, then snapped her fingers. As if on cue, Cornelia appeared, touting a large metal briefcase in her right hand. She placed it gently upon the desk, unlatching two locks and lifting the lid so Calista and company could see within. Inside the case was mostly black foam, but in three spaced out slots were individual Quantum Storage Systems. The small, flash-drive looking devices were entirely unassuming looking in almost every way. Samantha thanked Cornelia, who vanished from the room almost as suddenly as she had appeared.

"On each of these QSS's is thirty-one million, six-hundred and sixty-six thousand, six-hundred and sixty six FSDs. A total sum of ninety-five million", Samantha spoke of the sums as if they were nothing, but did make sure she had the attention of the there people sitting across from her, "This is the sum Sultan has demanded for the cargo, plus an entry fee to gain access to his little 'members only' market. I should mention that this money is coming out of my personal finances, and so I would very much like to see most of it back if at all possible"

A serious look came onto Samantha's face as she continued to speak, "I'll be blunt; I'm hiring your group for the ends I hope you can deliver. The means by which you acquire the cargo are entirely up to you. If you can pull this off and return both the cargo and the majority or entirety of this money to me, I'd be more than happy to start our payment negotiations with one of these QSSs. That would be a minimum pay of just over ten million for each of you."

She leaned back and smiled in the very particular corporate manner she had about her, "So. Any further inquiries, or do we have a deal?"

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:39 am

Haven Towers...

Naturally the way Samantha stared at Kang didn't go unnoticed by anyone, but when the privateer captain didn't immediately say anything in retort to the corporate executive Calista breathed a private sigh of relief. The woman on the other side of the desk clearly would have liked to have avoided answering, but to her credit she'd gone ahead and addressed it all. It didn't mean Kang trusted her -or Calista, for that matter- but it was a step in the right direction. Finally Kang just nodded. "I'm not going to jettison it if I don't have to. But it might be necessary. Even the best captains get boarded sometimes."

In the lull Calista's eyes followed Cornelia as she appeared to procure the briefcase. The little flicks of locks clicking open made the Abhuman's ears twitch, and she couldn't help but lean forward a little as the lid was pulled up to reveal the credsticks within. She'd seen their like before, they were popular in some parts of the Empire as an alternative to carrying physical cash without attaching it to an account, if not in the amounts that Samantha was talking about. Her cool blue eyes jumped from the storage devices to the executive's face, making eye contact with her briefly before she nodded. It was an impressive sum by almost any account, certainly more money than she'd ever seen in one place, but she didn't let her composure crack. Judging by the way that Kang licked her lips, a nice eight-figure payment was going a long way towards softening her up.

"So. Any further inquiries, or do we have a deal?"

"The only thing I can think of would be any other information you can supply on Techitza-System and Lavern," Calista waved a hand. "Other factions and power players, data on the local government if it exists, points of interest, that sort of thing. Otherwise I think we do have a deal, save for one thing," she leaned forward again. "Miss LaRose, I'm not going to insult your intelligence by pretending that you don't know what organization I represent. Suffice to say while the payment to me as an individual is more than acceptable, I am here on behalf of others who are interested in forming a relationship with you and your company. Once we complete this assignment the only favor I need is a few hours of your time to discuss, shall we call it, mutually beneficial arrangements," she smiled. "I trust we have an understanding."
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Citizens Republics » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:29 am

Haven Towers

Samantha glanced at her PHS to check the time; it was getting late, but her engagement wasn't for another hour or so. She had to admit, these people were nothing if not thorough. Half the time these types of people accepted jobs without even a second glance at the posting, and Samantha had been forced to clean up after sloppy jobs quite a bit more than she expected. But it was becoming increasingly apparent that what she had heard about this new group was true.

So, Samantha tapped her PHS, swiping through a few files before flinging them out into the space above the desk. The holographic files expanded outwards while she began to talk, "Lavern is the only habitable planet in the Techitza-System. Originally set-up a thousand years ago as a penal colony for those considered.....undesirable by the state, it was administered by a series of corporations who used the prisoners there as a source of cheap labour. Following a series of lawsuits and investigations by the government, however, the Department Of Justice took over and promptly began to scale down operations there. A proper planetary government was put into place, but as Lavern has really no value economically or otherwise, the entire planet has just sort of....stagnated ever since. The prison system has broken down, and the crime lords are effectively ruling the roost now."

She paused and searched around the files for a moment, before finding what she wanted and tapping on it, "The planetary governor is a man by the name of....let's see here....ah, yes. Curtis Wright. He's a bit of a war-hawk, and has been pestering the government to send in the military to clean the place up. But as I mentioned, Lavern has absolutely no value to anyone, so his calls have so far gone unheeded. Consequently, local authorities have very little power, and law enforcement is essentially non-existent outside the government district of Oswald. So you shouldn't need any interaction with them."

"The real power, as it stands, comes from these three lovely people," Samantha motioned to three images that had popped up: two women, one red-headed with short pixie-cute, and the other a brunette with longer, more "done" hair, and one man. "The red-head is known only as Krissy. We don't know her real identity, but it's likely she's a pirate or something like that who settled down on Lavern to establish her criminal enterprise. She leads a group known as the KRAK, which stands for....." Samantha smirked as she read the name, "KRissy's Army of Kaos. Terrible spelling aside, they're the most unpredictable group. Classic anarchists who are as likely to gun down their 'allies' as they are their enemies. They deal primarily in arms trading and illicit substances, so I somewhat doubt you'll have to deal with them."

The brunette's picture now enlarged, "This is Mackenzie Lutton, though on Lavern you'll hear her referred to only as Mack. She's a former soldier from the Federal Land Combat Force who took up piracy after she became disillusioned with the government and civilized society. She runs the Fleet Of Steel, one of the larger pirate fleets in the country, and so naturally she deals primarily in smuggling and such, though the Fleet is known to deal in other less...savory things as well. As it happens, Sultan most likely works for, or with, her and her people. So it's her group you'll be interacting with the most I would say."

"Finally, this gentleman is known as Hue. Real name is unknown, but given his tattoos, we know he was a convict at some point. He runs a quaint little group who call themselves the Familia Oblitus. They deal almost exclusively in assassinations, guns for hire, that sort of thing. I wouldn't worry too much about them"

The photos dissipated, replaced now by an image of Oswald. The city was fairly average looking, a vast and sprawling mess of poorly-planned buildings that seemed to almost form a single continuous block. But in the centre, towering above everything else, was an enormous construct, at least two or three thousand feet tall, and well over a mile in width and depth. It was clearly unfinished, with scaffolding and exposed beams visible all over it, but most of the structure was there. Samantha shook her head slightly as she began speaking again, "The only point of interest you need to know about is that. It's the base station and foundation for a stellar lift. When the DoJ initially took over Lavern, they decided to try and re-integrate the criminals there by giving them jobs. And to revitalize the planet, they decided to construct a stellar lift in the centre of the capital city. But, because of the stagnation and criminal uprisings, the project was cancelled before the base was even complete. That enormous structure is now the HQ of the Fleet Of Steel, an enormous slum, and Sultan's black market all wrapped up in one."

The holograms all vanished, and Samantha now turned her attention back to her guests. She listened as Calista spoke, and smiled when she had finished.

"I am fully aware of the situation, don't worry about that. I simply believe in paying the individuals who do the actual work as well as the organization they represent. Call me a philanthropist," Samantha smirked and laughed a bit to herself, "And of course, I look forwards to sorting out the details. We do indeed have an understanding"
Last edited by United Citizens Republics on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:46 pm

Haven Towers...

As ever there wasn't a great deal of reaction from any of the trio as Samantha went over the small briefing, though Kang did snort at the "KRissy's Army of Kaos" name. The local government being small and almost powerless was to be expected, and Calista privately suspected that it probably had plenty of its own corruption going on too. She couldn't say that she'd ever heard of the various factions involved, but she had never paid much attention to the UCR before. In any case they all had their uses: pirates, assassins and even anarchists of that type did not tend to be complex dealers. Perhaps the most interesting thing was the unfinished orbital elevator that they would have to enter at some point.

"I am fully aware of the situation, don't worry about that. I simply believe in paying the individuals who do the actual work as well as the organization they represent. Call me a philanthropist. And of course, I look forwards to sorting out the details. We do indeed have an understanding."

Calista smiled back. "Admirable, Miss LaRose. As one of the individuals being paid, I do have to applaud that. I am looking forward to doing further business with you," she stood, prompting Kang and Ryuki to do likewise as Ryuki picked up the case of credsticks. "But first, we will have your item for you. Thank you," she bowed, followed by the other two. "We will be in contact again soon."
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Citizens Republics » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:46 am

Haven Towers

Samantha stood as well, smiling and making a subtle gesture off to the side. Cornelia appeared once again, motioning for Calista and her companions to follow here. Before they had made it out of the door, Samantha spoke up, "Be careful out there. While I'm sure you can take care of yourselves, Lavern is a dangerous place. And do try and avoid pissing off Miss Lutton. The last thing I need is a pirate army pissed off at me." With that last joke in the air, Cornelia escorted the new pseudo-employees of the Conglomerate back to their vessel. She nodded to them, then pulled an actual glossy-photograph from her pocket, handing it to Calista. The image was of a young man, probably no older than 18 or so, with military-style blonde hair and striking green eyes.

"You will be met at Oswald Spaceport by this man, Travis Donahue. He is a secure contact that Miss LaRose has made a deal with. He will provide you with a detailed schematic of the orbital lift, as well as any other local intelligence you think you may require." Cornelia paused briefly to tame a stray hair, "I was also asked to give you this"

From her pocket she now produced a PHS; the thing silver bracelet was seemingly featureless, but with a simple tap on the surface it blossomed forth a gorgeous display fully coloured 3D holodisplay. Another tap shut it down. Cornelia handed it to Calista, "This will provide you with a direct link to a Conglomerate field office, if for example you do need to jettison the cargo, or face.....other issues. Do not use it unless absolutely necessary; Miss LaRose desires the Conglomerate's involvement in this mission to be as nonexistent as possible"

Now she smiled and motioned to the docking-station door, "Anyways, have a pleasant journey. I look forwards to welcoming you back here"
Last edited by United Citizens Republics on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:27 pm

Haven Towers...

"Be careful out there. While I'm sure you can take care of yourselves, Lavern is a dangerous place. And do try and avoid pissing off Miss Lutton. The last thing I need is a pirate army pissed off at me."

Looking over her shoulder, Calista smiled back at the executive. "Of course, Miss LaRose. You don't need to worry about us, or Miss Lutton. I'll make sure of that." With that she and the others were following Cornelia out of the luxurious tower and back to the shuttlecraft. Knowing that she was leaving this for the global projects that made up Lavern made Calista sigh, but if she played her cards right she knew she'd be back again soon enough. Just outside the transport she paused for LaRose's aide, taking the large photograph and examining it before accepting the bracelet.

"You will be met at Oswald Spaceport by this man, Travis Donahue. He is a secure contact that Miss LaRose has made a deal with. He will provide you with a detailed schematic of the orbital lift, as well as any other local intelligence you think you may require. I was also asked to give you this. This will provide you with a direct link to a Conglomerate field office, if for example you do need to jettison the cargo, or face.....other issues. Do not use it unless absolutely necessary; Miss LaRose desires the Conglomerate's involvement in this mission to be as nonexistent as possible. Anyways, have a pleasant journey. I look forwards to welcoming you back here."

Calista handed the photograph off to Kang for her to look at and clipped the bracelet around her own wrist. "Thank you, Cornelia. We'll make good use of the one and none of the other if we can avoid it. And if I have my way you'll be seeing my face again soon enough," she nodded and smiled before climbing aboard the shuttle. In less than thirty seconds they were all seated and the ship was taking off again.

"Ideas?" Kang asked as Calista took the photograph back and slipped it into her pocket.

"A few," the Abhuman leaned back. "Nothing concrete yet. It'll need to wait until we actually touch down on Lavern and talk to Donahue, get our bearings, but I think we can make this work." A few beats went by before she glanced over at Ryuki. "Still got that feeling?"

The kitsune looked at the far bulkhead, blindfold still tight around his head. "All too much. All too much."
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Citizens Republics » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:50 pm

Planet Lavern, Techitza-System
Province Of Koeler

As the Macehead arrived in orbit around Lavern, it would become abundantly clear that it was a world of wasted potential. Lavern was by all accounts a fairly pretty place; vast blue oceans covered the majority of the surface, while the majority of the land was concentrated in three long and skinny continents that wrapped around the equator. Four large moons hung around the world, most of them covered in the twinkling lights of automated mining facilities; the last remnants of Lavern's once immense potential. The actual space around Lavern was a mess, to put it politely. The lack of any true government had rendered the planet's orbit a chaotic affair, with ships parked wherever they pleased, oftentimes very nearly on-top of one another. Ancient-looking freighters and salvage ships made up the bulk of the vessels present, though there were some exceptions.

Hanging off to one side, almost as if standing watch, were four 120-meter long Tafford-Class Frigates. They were old, to be sure; the Tafford-Class had been decommissioned from active duty in the Navy almost a thousand years ago, but rather than destroying them the Navy had simply stripped them of weapons and sold them off. These four however had clearly been given a touch-up. Painted in a gunmetal grey, they each bore a symbol: a dark red half-gear with a stylized black sword vertically piercing through. Their guns had also been restored, and the barrels of their 20-inch Linear Mass Accelerators shone out in glistening chrome. They had also been heavily uparmoured, most likely using pieces of armour scavenged from other ships. But it had all be expertly attached and uniformly painted, and the makeshift upgrades looked as good as if they had been there in the first place.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, it was from one of these ships that the Macehead got its welcome.

"Foreign vessel, you have entered territory controlled by the Fleet Of Steel. Actions deemed hostile or threatening will be met with immediate termination."

The message was short and simple, but it didn't need to be long. The Fleet was truly as close to 'law enforcement' as Lavern had, since the government had all but given up hope of exercising local authority. Other than the message though, the FoS ships showed no sign of movement, and so the Macehead was free to park in orbit. Once they had set out in their shuttle, Calista and her people would find it rather easy to find Oswald; the capital city was the only location of significant population on Lavern, and so simply following the crowd of other shuttles and small ships would lead them straight to it.

Breaking through the atmosphere and streaking in over the vast southern ocean, the rapidly approaching coastline of the continent would yield a fairly impressive view. Oswald soon stretched out vast and chaotic before their viewscreen. The city was far more gargantuan than Miss LaRose's holograms could have ever shown. The mass of buildings, built seemingly in and ontop of one another, stretched for miles in either direction down the coast, with large chunks of the city extending out into the ocean and held up by huge metal poles and platforms. The close they got, the more obvious it would be about just how messy things were. There was no civil planning or method to the madness. The city had simply grown and grown in every direction it could, resulting in the city appearing almost like a single massive construct rather than multiple buildings. But most important to Calista and her crew were the two most noticeable buildings.

First and foremost was the stellar lift. If the city was big, then the stellar lift station was simply enormous. An enormous square structure, thirty-five hundred feet in height and a mile and a half in width and length, sat upon a series of huge columns, each of which was a good half mile in diameter and about five-hundred feet in height. This brought the entire structure in at four-thosuand feet tall, plus an extra five hundred feet or so gained by the half-completed tower that would have served as the true start of the actual lift. Just like in the hologram, vast sections of the stellar lift station were uncompleted; huge portions of the western half were without walls, and still covered in scaffolding, exposed structural beams, and massive tangles of wiring. The same symbol that had graced the four militay-esque ships in orbit graced the side of the facility, and just barely visible on the shiny metal walls were the words "Lavern Orbital Lift Base Station".

The second building of importance was the spaceport. Set down on the coast in something of a clearing, the Oswald Central Spaceport consisted of a large domed building, with twenty arms stretched out equidistantly around it. These arms were host to a good couple of thousand purpose-built docking berths, and many more make-shift docking cradles built by the local populace. There was no guidance or ground control, and so finding a place to dock was just a matter of finding an empty berth, cradle, or landing-pad.

The only really available spot was a docking cradle on the innermost section of the 5th arm. The cradle itself was one of the make-shift ones, built out of a series of hydraulic arms, springs, repurposed construction robots, and sensors. As the shuttle settle down, the entire machine sank a bit as the springs took the weight, followed by a painfully loud whirring and shrieking as the robotic arms and hydraulic clamps slammed into place. Once all had settled the shuttle was securely (if not somewhat precariously) held in place. From there, it was only a short walk into the central atrium.

Of course, it was difficult to tell it had ever been open space. The vast domed expansed had long ago been completely filled with a multi-level market, constructed from prefab metal shacks stacked atop one another. The entire scene was chaotic and loud, with shoppers haggling, vendors hawking their wares, and the roar of shuttles arriving and landing outside. There was barely even standing room, so many people were crammed into the space, all of them seemingly shouting and determined to take up as much space as possible. It was essentially impossible to find the way out, as there were no signs, and nobody was all that inclined to talk to strangers.

"You three eh?"

The voice came from behind them, and when they turned, they would find themselves face-to-face with Travis. He was on the short side, only 5 foot 9 or so, and wore ragged combat boots, desert-coloured digital camouflage pants, and a dirty white t-shirt with the faded letters "Heilstrom-FC" on the front. He had a utility belt on, with two well-polished handgunsstrapped into holsters, plus a rather large and serrated combat knife. His face bore quite a few scrapes and scars, and his build was slight, but toned. He stared at the there of them for a moment or two before speaking, "You must be the ones the Conglomerate told me to meet" He sighed, "Let's get out onto the street and I'll give you what you need."

Without waiting for an answer he waded into the crowd, moving just slow enough that his charges could keep up. The market was far bigger than it seemed, and it took a good five minutes before they burst through the crowd and out into a street. Or at least, Travis had called it a street. Buildings surrounded them on all sides, even overhead, and only trace bits of sunlight broke through the vast buildings above. Dull lighting illuminated the street, and even here there were vendors and storefronts and all sorts of rather shady looking characters. It was warm out, a function of so many people living in such a relatively enclosed space. Travis turned back to the Calista,

"Right, so. Here you go" He activated his own PHS, bringing up a file and swiping it towards the Calista's. The file automatically opened up, revealing an incredibly extensive 3D blueprint/diagram of the stellar lift station. Huge sections of it were highlighted in red, which Travis motioned towards, "These are the original blueprints of the station. I pulled em off the Overnet, so they show how the station would have been if it had been completed. I went through and highlighted all the parts that aren't finished yet in red."

He reached out, tapping on the base of the diagram, "The bottom four levels are where the main black market is located. Everything above that is restricted to members of the Fleet. Mack has her office and such in the station's Central Control Chamber, located right at the top of the compound. But all you need to be worried about is Sultan's Market. Once you're in the public market, find a dude in a dark green suit. That's Trancy, and he's the bouncer for Sultan's Market." Travis stood back, arms folded and hips cocked, "I hope they gave you the entry fee. I've seen Trancy slit people's throats just for wasting his time"

Now he shrugged, "Anyways, anything else you need to know? If not, I've got stuff to be doing"
Last edited by United Citizens Republics on Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:20 am

Province Of Koeler...

"Those frigates could be a problem."

The Mauler transport that the Macehead had picked up en route to Lavern had no windows except for the transparasteel of the cockpit, so Kang was at least spared the sight of the planet's wasted expanses. She'd gotten a good look at the quartet of warships in orbit from her own privateer, however. Calista had linked her neural interface with the ship's sensors to let her view the surface as the ship descended, eyeing the haphazardly-built city and its bustling, stinking closeness. The stellar lift seemed essentially true to LaRose's hologram, albeit much more impressive in person, if that was really the right word to describe the enormous failed construction project. By contrast she only glanced at the spaceport as the pilot made his descent.

"We'll figure out a way to deal with them when the time comes," the Abhuman assured her, disconnecting the interface so her sight returned and she could look directly at the human. "If necessary."

The transport settled and depressed the net that served as its landing pad, making Calista frown and Kang look around uneasily. Only Ryuki was as unfazed as ever, merely standing as the pilot muttered their arrival over the intercom. The trio stayed close together as the aft hatch opened and they stepped out onto the landing pad. "Don't open the ship for anyone who isn't us," Kang told the pilot through her vox to the clanging shut of the hatch. From there it was into the great tumult that was the spaceport crowd, forging ahead through the rainbow of species and peoples with Calista in the lead and Ryuki bringing up the rear with Kang between them. The woman shoved her hands in her pockets, eyes flicking this way and that as she kept a watch out for pickpockets.

"You three eh? You must be the ones the Conglomerate told me to meet. Let's get out onto the street and I'll give you what you need."

"Yes, let's," Calista said as Kang looked the man up and down. "Come with us." Instead of pushing further through the crowd she led Travis back through the spaceport, folding him into their formation between Kang and Ryuki. It didn't take them long to get back to the berth with the transport, and a rap on its armored hull had the hatch unfolding so they could climb aboard. The main hold seemed cavernous for just four people, with room for at least five times that number just on the benches that lined each side, and there was no hiding the racks of guns, surveillance equipment and other, more esoteric items packed away in gray crates shoved under the benches. With Ryuki standing by the hatch Calista took a seat, bidding Travis to sit across from her while Kang went forward into the cockpit.

"Don't ever approach us in public like that, especially in a crowded place," Calista told him before he could interrupt, blue eyes fixed on his. "It's bad for security, and what's bad for security is bad for business. I'm sure you catch my meaning. If we need something we'll find you. Understood?" With his confirmation she nodded, letting him continue.

"Right, so. Here you go. These are the original blueprints of the station. I pulled em off the Overnet, so they show how the station would have been if it had been completed. I went through and highlighted all the parts that aren't finished yet in red. The bottom four levels are where the main black market is located. Everything above that is restricted to members of the Fleet. Mack has her office and such in the station's Central Control Chamber, located right at the top of the compound. But all you need to be worried about is Sultan's Market. Once you're in the public market, find a dude in a dark green suit. That's Trancy, and he's the bouncer for Sultan's Market. I hope they gave you the entry fee. I've seen Trancy slit people's throats just for wasting his time."

Nodding along, Calista brought the blueprints up when they were transferred to her. They were quite complete, she had to admit. The Conglomerate chose its contacts well.

"Anyways, anything else you need to know? If not, I've got stuff to be doing."

"Yes," she looked up at him and collapsed the hologram, putting nothing between the two of them. "First, do these schematics show any modifications that have been made to the stellar lift since the Sultan and the Fleet Of Steel moved in? Especially weapons and defenses. If not, I need that information. We can't go forward without it."

Leaning forward, the Abhuman took another good look at her contact. "There's more. Quite a lot more, in fact, so I'll preface this by saying that I'm willing to pay you in addition to whatever the Conglomerate is giving you, both in terms of commission to you and whatever you need to loosen lips, networks and data vaults. You will not be able to do this alone, but I'm capable of being open-handed if I think you're worth it. I value completeness and loyalty, and if I can buy both of those things from you then all the better. We can talk about that after I outline what I need.

"Specifically, I need data on the Stellar Lift and the Fleet Of Steel. Heavy weapons numbers, emplacement locations and types on the Lift as well as entrance and egress points, anything you can get me. I'll also need the number of foot soldiers and ships the Sultan and Fleet Of Steel has at their disposal and where they are located, and the locations of the Sultan and Mackenzie Lutton. Where their offices are and where they spend their days, if they have panic rooms, safehouses, if they make a habit of being anywhere in particular then I want to know.

"I also want to know about Governor Wright. I'm more interested in personal information and dirt you can dig up on him if it's useful. Is he having affairs, is he on the take from anyone, how much of this mess does he have his hands in?" she waved a hand around to indicate Lavern in general. "But I also want to know about the defenses of the government district of Oswald. Same sort of thing as with the Lift, emplacements, soldiers, ships and vehicles, entrance and egress, all of that.

"Those are the main two. In addition, anything you can give me on Krissy and her army and Hue and his Familia Oblitus would be excellent. Anything about where they hole up and what their numbers and equipment is like, and anything on the leaders themselves. That's it, for the moment. There will probably be more work as opportunities and complications arise."

She settled back, still looking at him. "I'm aware that it's a lot. But I want you to understand that if you do this right then you could walk away from this set for life."
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Citizens Republics » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:17 pm

Province Of Koeler

Travis grimaced slightly as he was dragged back to the shuttle; while he had (some) faith that the Conglomerate didn't have a reason to want him dead, one could never be too sure about that sort of thing. So while he was mentally preparing for a fight, what he got instead was an absolutely immense laundry list of information. Travis had assumed that the Conglomerate would have at least prepped their people a little bit.

Evidently, he had thought too highly of his temporary employer. So while Calista rattled off all the info her group needed, Travis made mental notes. He perked up a bit at the mention of further payment, but subdued his reaction so as not to appear over-eager. As Calista wrapped up, Travis shrugged and picked a few specks of dirt from his boots before bringing up a hologram of the Lift. A quick two-finger swipe changed the overlay, this time showing the Lift as it was now. Another tap layered on a fully photo-realistic image of the Lift over the blueprints, the result being a full 3D model of the Lift.

"I pulled off this imaging shit off of a government drone doing surveillance a couple days ago. The Fleet hasn't made many obvious external modifications in a while, but when they first moved in they did a total overhaul of the wall surrounding the Lift Plaza, the plaza itself, and some sections of the actual Lift." Travis used a highlight tool to mark a few areas on the Lift; specifically, a large unfinished area at the top-right corner, the control towers on the roof, and a series of large doors along the east and west sides.

"This unfinished area here is the only non-ground access point. The Fleet reinforced a bunch of structural beams, then added huge metal plates to form landing pads for shuttles and gunships and whatnot. You can see here there are twenty-pads so far, and from what it looks like they're constructing a bunch more. They also added on a bunch of these bastards to defend the local airspace," Travis now activated a separate hologram, showing a schematic of a turret, "Columbia Conglomerate Armaments Division CCA-30AAX anti-air guns. Fully automated turrets with a six-barrel 30mm gun. Fires high explosive tungsten penetration rounds with optional particle sheathing to defeat shields."

He waited for a second or two before dragging the schematic onto diagram of the Lift. Four red dots appeared at points on the dock, along with twenty other red dots all across the top of the Lift, though five of them were clustered in a defensive ring around the control towers; the location of the guns, which Travis motioned to, "First few months the Fleet was here, a couple local gangs tried to assault the Lift. Those guns tore a while little fleet of shuttles and gunships to pieces in just a couple seconds," he shook his head a bit, then shrugged, "As for other other weaponry, most of it's concentrated on the ground. Those AA guns have total coverage of the airspace around the Lift.. Defensively, the Fleet added a bunch of extra armour to the Lift's existing docking bays, which were never finished beyond their blast doors. I guess you could call them a weak point, assuming you have a massive-ass LMA." Travis smirked to himself, but not seeing a lot of humour in his new compatriots, double-tapped on the image and it zoomed out and up to show a bird's-eye view of the Lift and the surrounding area. It was obvious from this that a wide 6-lane road ran around the entire Lift Complex, separating the Complex's wall from the surrounding city. Travis reached out a tapped a highlight tool, then drew his finger across all the buildings directly opposite this road.

"The Fleet forcibly evicted everyone from these buildings the moment they arrived. Now they're either empty, or used to house Fleet soldiers or store equipment. You can see there are four main roads leading to Lift Ring Road, which yes, its the road's actual name. Though everyone around here call it No-Man's Loop, since Fleet snipers on the wall will gun you down if you get too close." He paused again to highlight four sections of the wall at the four points where the roads met with the Ring Road; one for each cardinal direction.

"There are four gates to get into the plaza beneath the Lift. Two are active, and two are sealed up tight. The main gain is the South Gate, which is where the entrance to the public market and such is. West Gate is also active, but it's reserved for Fleet personnel. East and North Gates were sealed shut and barricade by the Fleet to limit access to their little domain, and they keep soldiers and turrets on standby to respond to entry attempts to either of them.”

Travis now leaned back a bit, though the hologram remained where it was, “As for personnel habits of Mack and our good ol’ guvna, I’ll need some time. Same goes for Hue. The Familia is……well, insular is putting it lightly. And Mack doesn’t really leave the Lift, as far as I know. But I’ll talk to my people and see if they know anything more,” He smiled and now swiped at the hologram, causing it to flicker and die.

“Government district…..well, I haven’t got any schematics of that yet. But I’ll tell you this much; there’s one big-ass gate at the entrance. Guarded by a full company of FLCF soldiers. Turrets. Snipers. IFVs. The works. Tensions have been running high here ever since the Fleet essentially declared exclusive domain over Lavern. Rumour has it the government or the Conglomerate may be readying for an invasion, but I doubt it.”

Now, Travis stood, patting the dust from his pants, “For the rest, gimme twenty-four hours. I’ll have as much of what you need as I can manage.”

Just as he seemed ready to depart, he suddenly froze. Travis stood there for a moment, as if he were contemplating something, then sighed and turned back to Calista. With a hesitant tone to his voice, and whilst mostly looking at the floor, “Oh, and…..well, Krissy and I….we have…er….had….well, I mean, I know her. Personally. So……if you’ve got a burning desire to meet her, I could maybe kinda probably set something up. But only if its super, super, super important that you meet her”
Last edited by United Citizens Republics on Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:00 pm

Province Of Koeler...

Throughout it all Calista listened to Travis without interruption. Her gaze flicked down to the hologram of the Lift when it was brought back up, eyeing the modified areas. She scanned slowly over the exposed frame, control towers and enormous doors, studying each in turn. When the landing pads and 30mm cannons were brought up Kang leaned forward, her own eyes on the array of defenses. Twenty-nine guns in all, the privateer noted, four on the dock, five protecting and the towers and the others spread out at intervals along the top of the Lift to protect the landing pads and the general airspace. The woman just nodded when Travis mentioned the fleet of ganger ships being shredded, looking back to the blast doors when they were indicated though she didn't so much as crack a smile at the man's suggestion of a LMA.

The barren road and cleared buildings used for barracks and storage for the Fleet were no surprise to either of them. It made sense that the pirates would want a buffer between them and the rest of the city. The same went for the snipers along the road. It was Calista's turn to lean forward as Travis detailed the four main gates. When he got onto the part about what he'd need time for Calista sat back and nodded, looking up at him past the hologram that hovered between them. "Take the time you need, though I do expect to hear back from you in twenty four hours," she told him. A glance over at Kang told her that the woman had no questions. Ryuki didn't, but she didn't expect him to.

“Oh, and…..well, Krissy and I….we have…er….had….well, I mean, I know her. Personally. So……if you’ve got a burning desire to meet her, I could maybe kinda probably set something up. But only if its super, super, super important that you meet her”

Having been regarding Travis with a cocked ear, one side of Calista's mouth turned up in what might have been a smile. "I appreciate that. We will need to meet with her, though not right away. So if you could set it up for after you get back to us, that would be good." That was his cue to leave, and with that she watched him go, eyes following until the hatch automatically closed behind the man. She was alone with her team once again.

"We're going to split up," she told Kang and Ryuki. "I know you can both take care of yourselves but I want all of us to stay in contact and meet back here in four hours. I'm going to the Fleet's marketplace to see what I can learn. Kang, I want you to see if you can't take a look around the government district. Ryuki, you'll be coming with me but looking for something different once we're in the market. I want you to look into what you felt back on Excelsum Aquas, there might be some other psychics around that can tell you more. Understood?"

The two nodded.

"Great," the hatch unfolded and Calista stood. "Remember: here in four hours."
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Citizens Republics » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:41 pm

Market District
Oswald
Planet Lavern

The path from the spaceport to the Lift was almost painfully obvious. Through the former terminal and out into the semi-darkness of the road, Calista and Ryuki would find themselves in the midst of barely controlled chaos. People were everywhere, running and strolling and chatting. The road was lined with neon-adorned stores, their signs glowing bright in the near-darkness of the space; the buildings had actually been built up and over the street, leaving only small streams of sunlight bursting through holes in the near-solid roof. The people in Oswald were an eclectic bunch, with many of them dressed in serviceable clothing, and others dealing with sticked-together scraps. Almost everyone had a gun or a knife (or several of each), and a few people even wore flak jackets. Nobody seemed to even notice the new pair, aside from some pushing and shoving that seemed to be the preferred method of getting anywhere.

The road they were on, labelled by some nearby signs as BROLAN AVE, continued dead north all the way to the buffer road. The entire journey down the road was the same as it had been from when they first exited the spaceport; crowded, dark, and hot. But there was one constant that never changed: the Fleet soldiers. Two of them stood at each corner of each intersection, and they were heavily armed and armored. Assault rifles, full suits of (last-gen) semi-power armor, and even a few Riot Control Drones. They kept an eye on everything, scanning the crowds of people moving past. At least while Calista and Ryuki were passing though, nothing occurred that triggered the soldiers to act.

After a good five or ten minutes or walking, the duo would reach the edge of the buffer road. It was here that the sheer scale of the Lift would become most obvious. It towered almost impossibly high above the road, an effect made even greater by the fact that nothing had been built over the buffer road. It was a clear shot to the sky, and the sunlight streamed down onto the Lift's faded paint, and the huge wall that sat across the street. The street itself was also impressive, with six lanes in either direction, though all of these were empty of civilian traffic. Instead, Fleet APCs and cargo trucks rattled too and fro, whisking supplies and soldiers off to wherever was needed. Directly across the traffic and the street was the gate.

The wall itself was a good hundred or so feet high, and the gate wasn't much smaller. The enormous doors were wide open, allowing a steady stream of people in and out of the market, but while they were open, they weren't unguarded. At least fifty or so Fleet soldiers stood on standby, with another twenty or so standing on-top of the wall, with a combination of snipers and mounted-gun emplacements. Multiple turrets were in place as well, and it was very clear that the Fleet would have no trouble gunning down everyone in sight if trouble popped up.

That being said, nothing happened. While Calista and Ryuki were more or less herded across the road by the hundreds of people around them, the scene was surprisingly calm. People knew that one step out of line, and they would be on the receiving end of a Fleet sniper's rifle. Once across the street and through the gate, all that remained was a short walk down a huge hallway before they were in the market.

At one point, the space had been the entrance lobby for the Lift. The designer had intended the Lift to be not only a transit centre, but a commercial complex as well, so this lobby was gargantuan: ten stories tall, with an open-air atrium. Stalls and vendors occupied every free space, and make-shift walkways criss-crossed the open space to allow for easier movement between levels. The noise was immense, with people shouting and haggling and bargaining. The scents of a hundred types of food wafted through the air, and combined with the cramped labyrinth of stalls and walkways, it formed a scene that would make even a slightly claustrophobic person have a fit.

Despite the utter chaos of the scene though, there was one constant factor: the Fleet soldiers. They stood at key points, highly visible, with their rifles at the ready. There were even a few Riot Control Drones positioned around the market, their fading paint revealing that they had at one point been in the service of the CFMC, though the Marine's logos were mostly overpainted with the Fleet logos now. It was clear that the fleet was ready for trouble, should it occur.

For Ryuki's part, the Market wouldn't hold much of interest initially. It was the usual rush of emotions and such, nothing outstandingly unusual.

At first.

Slowly, the longer they lingered, there was a subtle sense that the pair was being watched. A powerful but restrained energy coming from somewhere in the Market. The force was somewhat muddled by the chaos of people around Ryuki and Calista, but it was definitely a distinct energy from the usual white noise. Briefly, perhaps, Ryuki would notice a young woman, maybe in her early 20s, staring at the pair. A brief but purposeful glance before the woman vanished into the mass of people.

Government District
Oswald
Planet Lavern

The Government District was a bit farther removed from the Spaceport than the Market District was. It would take Kang a good 15 minutes of walking through packed streets and sketchy alleyways to get to the District. One she had arrived, however, it would be more than obvious where she was. During the planned rejuvenation of Lavern, the government district had gone by a different name; Arbor Heights. It was supposed to be an upscale gated community, with all the trappings of a sophisticated haven for the rich. This was reflected in the actually design and approach to the area; the chaos and mess of Oswald proper stopped abruptly like it had met an invisible wall. The road kept going though, passing over a wide canal of sorts, before leading to the wholly out-of-place gate and wall that surrounded the Government District. True to its originally intended function, the wall was made of ornately carved stone and concrete, with columns and glowing lanterns adorning it at regular intervals. The gate was composed of intricately formed wrought iron and chromed overly, with the letters "AH" formed in the center.

The wall and gate now also showed signs of the times, however. The original wall, which was only ten or so feet high, had been added on to; a large metal addition across the top gave it a height of closer to twenty feet. Likewise, the original gate was supplemented by an enormous solid metal sliding wall, which towered to the same height as the reinforced wall around it. The original bridge across the canal had been demolished long ago, replaced with the current version; a heavy-duty retracting structure. The walls and the gate were both adorned with vertical versions of the UCR's flag, along with numerous flagpoles flying the regular flag.

Defensively, the Government District was equipped to take a pounding. Most prominent were the four Automated Aerial Defense Networked Vehicles, two of which sat on each side of the road. Accompanying them were about twenty soldiers wearing semi-power armor, and ten soldiers wearing the much bulkier and more intimidating full-power armor. They were equipped with a range of weapons, from assault rifles to anti-armor weapons.

Up on the wall itself were numerous emplaced machine guns, automated turrets, and snipers. All of them seemed tense and at the ready; there had been attacks on the Government District before, as attested to by the scorch marks on the wall, and nobody was taking any chanced. rising above the wall were the tops of the buildings that lay beyond, most of them seemingly designed in an art-deco style. But it was impossible to see anything else beyond the wall and fortifications.
Last edited by United Citizens Republics on Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:59 pm

Market District
Oswald
Planet Lavern...

The pair started off down the road and hadn't been walking for more than two minutes when someone crashed into Calista. She took a step back as the man rebounded off of her, planting one ankle back while he staggered. For a beat they both stood there among the flow of people, both staring at each other until the Abhuman dropped a hand to the butt of her gun. The human regarded her for a long moment, eyes only darting one way and then the other as he became aware of a small crowd forming around them. Ryuki stood next to Calista, holding his staff in both hands as a dozen pairs of eyes looked on.

Finally the man spat into the dirt, turned and joined the press of people heading away from the two. Exhaling, Calista turned away too, followed by Ryuki as they made their way to the market. No one bumped into them after that. She couldn't abide having armed people in rags too close to her. At best they'd empty her pockets while she wasn't looking, and at worst all it would take was a single, close gunshot, Fleet soldiers or not. Even so, it was telling that they were the clear peacekeepers around here, not the UCR. If there had been any doubts about that before they were dispelled now.

To someone who had seen the two hundred story skyscrapers of Ferra the simple size of the Lift wasn't particularly impressive, but its defenses were. From the starport landing until the market Calista figured she'd seen upwards of one hundred Fleet soldiers and drones, and they'd set up quite the kill box around the market entrance. There were enough guns and soldiers to hold off a small army, which was no doubt exactly what they were meant to do if any of the other factions on Lavern decided that they'd rather have the Lift to themselves. She let her eyes travel up to the underside of the wall as they passed under it before she considered the chokepoint in the form of the hallway immediately beyond. The only good thing she could think about it all was that she hadn't underestimated the Fleet in planning.

Almost as soon as they'd set foot in the atrium she noticed Ryuki's ears perk and he raised his snout, sniffing the air. What he had "seen" she had no idea, but her eyes still rose up to the walkways and shops than seemed to more hang off the side of the enormous complex than anything, searching for danger. It took her a moment to realize that his head had turned to look at her. "I sense something. Someone. She," he looked past Calista, fixed on some empty point. "I will find her. Don't follow."

He seemed to meld into the crowd himself, following a scent that only he had picked up on. Exhaling slowly, Calista looked about the marketplace. Having a true-to-life visual of the area was always helpful when paired with diagrams, but there was more to see. In particular she knew she wanted to see Trancy -she had no intention of actually meeting with the man, but she did want to observe him and whatever the entryway to the Sultan's Market was. From here, at least, that would be the first step to figuring out how to grab the item.

Government District
Oswald
Planet Lavern

Either she looked mean enough to deter it or no one took much notice of an average-looking human woman, because Kang made her own way through the streets without incident. Going through some of the tight streets and alleys made her wish she had at least one or two of her crew with her, but the Enrustian buried that as soon as she felt it. She could always call for help if she needed it, but the idea was to not even think about needing it. Even so, she couldn't help but give a sigh of relief when she finally got in sight of Oswald -or "Arbor Heights" as the sign informed her. Nothing as pretty and well-made as the gate seemed like it could belong on Lavern, but the steel walls, metal drawbridge and dozens of soldiers posted around the armored vehicles made it fit in a bit better.

It gave Kang some hesitation. Somehow she'd imagined that she could walk in, probably not without some kind of security check, but she hadn't thought she'd step up to a fortress. Regardless, just walking up to the soldiers seemed like a bad idea, so she let herself rejoin the press of the crowd about a block away. It was time to do what people like her had done for countless generations when faced with an unexpected problem: look for a bar. For the price of a drink, someone would be able to tell her how to get into Oswald legitimately.
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Citizens Republics » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:28 pm

Market District
Oswald

The energy that seemed to permeate the space had focused into a trail of sorts, winding its way through the packed alleyways and corridors that made up the market. People pushed and shoved and shouted the entire time, jostling for position in front of the stalls and booths. Despite the wandering, the trail never seemed to get any stronger, only flitting ahead and out of reach each time Ryuki got closer.

Eventually, the trail led up a series of staircases and through a cramped passageway that circled around behind one of the walls. It had been a maintenance passage at some point, and was cramped with pipes and wiring. But when Ryuki reached the dead-end, the trail was gone. The energy had vanished, simply dissipating into the air.

Then, there was a hand on his shoulder. The world flashed, and Ryuki would find himself in an almost totally empty white void. More importantly though was the fact that he could see. The bandages were gone, and it was like his sight had returned, even if the only thing to see was a simple wrought iron table and two matching chairs. And then suddenly, he wasn't alone. A young woman appeared, sitting in one of the chairs. She was about 25 or so, with long blonde hair that cascaded down the right side of her face and onto her shoulder. Her eyes were a stunning and unnatural blue, and seemed to glimmering and flicker. She wore what could best be called formal dress; it shimmered in seemingly a thousand different colors, with a single strap on the left shoulder, and a series of geometric cutouts strategically placed to show just enough skin to be seductive.

The woman motioned for Ryuki to sit at the other chair, and waited patiently for him to do so. Once he had, the women simply sat silently, staring into his eyes for a moment or two before speaking. Her voice was almost ethereal, and seemed to come from not only her mouth, but also all the space around the pair.

"What do you intend to do with it?"

Back in the central market, Calista would have a fairly easy time finding Trancy. Set off to the side of the main atrium was a small alcove of sorts, with a single plain metal door at the centre of the back wall. Standing next to that door was an enormous man; Trancy. He was at least a few hundred pounds, close to seven feet tall, and built like a linebacker. Every inch of him was seemingly muscled, and the dark green suit he wore seemed to just barely be containing the enormous man within. He had tanned skin, and a military-style haircut, along with a jawline that looked like it could cut steel, and a gaze that seemed to literally shoot daggers.

Tracy had a single large handgun strapped to his hip, but aside from that, there was no other discernible security around the door. Even the door itself seemed wholly unreinforced, seemingly being just a normal and completely unassuming door. Trancy simply stood motionless in front of it, his eyes doing the occasional sweep, but his face remaining completely unemotional and stoic otherwise.

Government District
Oswald

The nearest bar was one a block from the government district, and had seemingly been designed with a high-end clientele in mind. The facade was formed of stone columns and arches, with the name of the place, "The Kenway" emblazoned in gold leaf over the mahogany wood doors. Two guards stood out front, both armed with shotguns, but didn't bother Kang when she walked inside, only nodding to her with a slight smile.

The interior of the Kenway was as formal feeling as the exterior, albeit somewhat run-down. The floors were made of planks of a redwood, and though they were scuffed, some of the original rich colored shone through. The bar took up the entire ride side of the fairly large space, with green leather and gold-stud stools lining the authentic wood bar. The wall behind the bartenders was at least a story high, packed with every type of alcohol imaginable, and with ladders to assist.

To the left was a dining area, with high-backed leather booths and tables. Light came from single bulbs that hung from the ceiling, which despite being LED based, were designed to appear as if they were ancient filament coil bulbs; this gave the entire bar a dark and cozy feel. The place wasn't packed, with only twenty or so patrons, and most of them were government-looking types who sat together, so it was no problem to find a spot at the bar itself.

One of the bartenders (Evan, as identified by his name tag), a young man with a scar down his left cheek, came over almost immediately,

"Welcome to the Kenway ma'am. Can I get something started for you?" He smiled as he spoke, and it almost seemed as if in this place, the ruins of the outside were momentarily forgotten about.

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:57 pm

Unknown Location...

At the hand on his shoulder Ryuki turned with his staff raised, and he was still in that pose when the world blinked out of existence around him. He blinked once, slowly, and then again as he realized the motion he'd made; a simple reflex that he hadn't felt in so long. The very feeling brought his staff back down, and he leaned heavily on it even as he glanced back around the white void before his gaze landed on the woman. The kitsune looked from her to the furniture, eyes traveling along the dull iron before jumping to the places where her skin was exposed and finally up to her eyes. She gestured, and he lowered himself into the chair with the staff across his knees, both hands on it.

"What do you intend to do with it?"

He gazed at her. It was such a simple luxury to be able to look at another person like he was meant to, and though he knew that these weren't really his eyes, and he had a suspicion about her personhood, he still took the opportunity. His brilliant golden eyes met her own intense blue ones, and he gently inclined his head. "You realize that there is a certain amount of give-and-take here," he told her. "We both ask questions, we both get answers. It's up to each of us to decide whether those answers are truthful, and if we've asked the right questions. Yes?"

Market District
Oswald...

As Calista had expected, Trancy was a hard man to miss. Though she only looked at him in passing, it was enough to make her wonder if he was Alversian or Setulanite, or at least had some of either in his heritage. From her understanding most humans didn't grow to such heights and mass without being a part of such an ethnic group, though she supposed he might have some alien blood too. Or maybe he'd simply been injected full of growth hormones and vat-grown muscle -if she really wanted to find out she'd have to at least scan him, and it wasn't worth the risk of detection. Instead she let her legs carry her into a short alleyway between two booths.

At first glance it seemed like the entrance into the black market was lightly guarded, but she didn't trust that for a second. It was probably meant to deceive in that way, and even if it was just as unassuming as it looked, she was willing to bet that there were some heavy defenses right behind it. So the Abhuman reached into her pocket and pulled out what looked exactly like an inert, common fly, one of half a dozen she had. One furred finger stroked over its top and the thing buzzed to life, zipping out from between her fingers even as a HUD overlaid itself against her cybereyes, showing the world from the microbot's perspective. Its sensors were rudimentary and it didn't have too great a range, but it would work just fine for her purposes.

With the tiny drone linked to her neural controls Calista buzzed it up onto the roof of a nearby bazaar where its cameras had a good perspective on the alcove and the man standing in front of it. Sooner or later she figured someone would go through the door, or maybe come out, and that would be her chance to investigate the black market without needing to go through its doorman.

Government District
Oswald...

Kang almost didn't go inside "The Kenway" at first. Considering the rich facade and the two shotgun-toting guards standing right out front it seemed like the place would be discriminating abouts its clientele, but after watching a couple of people walk in she made the attempt. The men at the door didn't do anything but smile and nod at her, and she just nodded back as she passed into the dim confines of the building. Once her eyes adjusted seeing the scuffed, faded glory of the place made her feel a bit better, and even more so that there were only about a score of people scattered around the gloomy tables. The woman immediately made a beeline for the bar, easing herself onto one of the stools as she admired the towering wall of alcohol just beyond the counter.

"Welcome to the Kenway ma'am. Can I get something started for you?"

She nodded to the bartender, taking in his nametag for a moment before her eyes flicked back to the wall of bottles. "Screwdriver, on the rocks," she said. Normally she'd opt for something stronger, but she wasn't looking to really get intoxicated. Once the drink came down to her she put a few credits on the counter and wrapped one gloved hand around it. "You know how I would get in to talk to someone in Arbor Heights? Someone important."
Last edited by Xiscapia on Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Citizens Republics » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:01 pm

Void

The women stared blankly at Ryuki for a moment or two. Her eyes didn't so much as twitch, and she didn't blink once. Her gaze seemed to almost go straight through Ryuki, and she remained silent for almost half a minute before she spoke.

"An acceptable offer. You may ask a single question. Then we demand the answer to ours"

Her voice was as level and unearthly as ever, and there was no hint of emotion in the tone. The women merely stared, unblinking, right into Ryuki's eyes.

Market District

After five or so minutes, a group of people approached Trancy. There was a young man, with short blonde hair, grey eyes, and a striking figure. He wore a slim blue suit and white tie, and held a suitcase in his right hand. Surrounding him were five larger, burly looking men, each of them rather noticeably carrying large handguns. The young man stepped forward to Trancy and extended his hand, at which point the Black Market doorman activated his PHS and ran a scan over the young man's hand. The PHS lit up green, and Trancy nodded.

The young man nodded back, then him and his entourage stepped forwards. The door automatically opened, and they stepped on through, at which point the door automatically closed behind them, and Trancy returned to his stoic stance. But there was something. At the very moment the entourage had stepped through the door, there had been a strange effect. The shadow of the group lingered outside the door just a fraction of a second longer than it should have after the door closed. An effect barely perceptible, but most definitely there, if one was looking for it.

Government District

Evan nodded as he put the drink down; it was on the strong side, but it was cold and the vodka was crisp. At Kang's question, he smirked a bit.

"Well, if this important someone knows that you're coming, they should have either put you on the entry list, or sent you a digital access pass" Evan stepped away for a moment to put away some newly cleaned glasses, "But if this person doesn't know you're coming, well...."

He leaned in towards Kang, "You'll need a forger. Someone good, not just the usual street rabble. You need someone who can make a pass good enough to fool military-grade scanners. Or, if you're more.....personable, you could always play nice with some off-duty soldier or bureaucrat and see if you can't convince them to give you a visitor pass"

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents