NATION

PASSWORD

Bratislavian Snap Elections (Atlas/Invited Only)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Bratislav
Senator

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Bratislavian Snap Elections (Atlas/Invited Only)

Postby Bratislav » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:02 pm

Bratislavian Snap Elections

Following the resignation of former President Robert Nikolev, snap Presidential elections were called in Bratislav. The elections are between Current Prime Minister, Albert Gregorev, and main opposition candidate, Martin Habetov. Both candidates have platforms that would take Bratislav in two very different directions.

Background on resignation: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=285190&start=575#p23963211

ALBERT GREGOREV
Party: Freedom Party of Bratislav
Party position: Right Wing
Party Ideology: Conservatism, Economic Neoliberalism, Social Conservatism, Bratislavian Nationalism

Candidate's Platform: Gregorev was the former Chief of Staff of the Bratislavian Armed Forces and is a very religious Christian man. His vision is a government that stands strongly for Bratislav's national interests in the world, and a Government that heavily supports the military and upholds the Christian faith in the country. Gregorev is said to have rejected the notion of 'separation of church and state' saying that the Bratislavian Church is the cornerstone of the Bratislavian nation and identity, and thus the Government has a responsibility to protect the Church's interests and the Christian religion in the country. Gregorev is a war-hawk that strongly supports interventionist foreign policy. His ideology in short espouses: strong military, christian faith, and a powerful government with a powerful executive.

MARTIN HABETOV
Party: Free Democratic Party
Party Position: Center to Center-Right
Party Ideology: Centrism, Classic Liberalism

Candidates Platform: Habetov has been able to gather a coalition of center-left, center, and center-right constituents, that want a more moderate Government in place. While Habetov strongly supports fiscally conservative policies in economics, he believes that the Government should be more moderate when it comes to social issues, and not legislate many religious laws. He also believes that while Bratislav should protect her interests abroad, it should take a more laid back position in many issues. The government should focus on improving the state rather than being policeman of the world. Habetov believes that Gregorev's rule would be authoritarian, and he wants to have a less top-down presidency. Habetov's moderate politics would be a break from the right-wing politics that has ruled Bratislav ever since President Albanov. Habetov is interested in hearing to center-left constituents as well, expanding programs for the poor, something Gregorev has ruled out. Habetov's foreign policy would be more moderate and neutral, the military would not be expanded, and military action would be limited to areas where its use of utmost importance to the national security of the country - a clear departure from the interventionist policies that Gregorev would further.

---

OOC: This is a diplomatic RP. No war will take place.
Last edited by Bratislav on Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ATLAS REGION(The Best Region): viewtopic.php?f=23&t=265127
Country Info: http://iiwiki.com/wiki/Bratislav

Globus
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Globus » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:02 am

The Presidential House
Office of the Press Secretary
March 31, 2015

Weekly Address: Bratislav’s Snap Elections

Remarks of President Auguste Comte
Weekly Address
The Presidential House
March 31, 2015

Hello everyone. Last week, President Robert Nikolev of the Republic of Bratislav, resigned. Following his resignation, Prime Minister Albert Gregorev has called for snap elections.

We now know the main two contenders for the election are the wholly opposite Albert Gregorev of the Freedom Party, and Martin Habetov of the Free Democratic Party. Normally, I would not address the country regarding election in a foreign country.

However, these elections are different than the normal. These elections will take Bratislav down two very different paths. One extreme, and one moderate. One bad, one good. One path leads to war, anti-secular legislation, and extreme conservatism. The other, is like the Globus model. Secular, diplomacy over conflict, neutrality, and moderate while still maintaining a small right leaning stance.

If Gregorev were less extreme, I would not call your attention to these election. I would just let them happen and be happy to greet and congratulate the newly elected President. However, in this case I would not be happy to meet and greet Albert Gregorev. I fear, and I know, that his extreme right stance will punish the secular community, and bring about conflict on the already unstable continent of Curente. He preaches a powerful executive. A powerful executive, or a dictator? A powerful executive, no. He preaches, dictatorship. A god-fearing, war-mongering, dictatorship.

I look forward to meeting Martin Habetov as President. Habetov believes in the many values that we Globians preach and practice today. Neutrality, peace, secularism, and conservative economics. Habetov will decrease conflict in the unstable Curente region, he will promote peace and prosperity, he will allow for secularists to come out of the dark, and he will ensure a prosperous Bratislavian economy, all for the good citizens of Bratislav and Curente.

I announce to you, and the international community, my full support for Martin Habetov, as the next President of Bratislav. For the good of the people, for us, Bratislav, and the whole region, I pledge my support, and this administration’s support, to Martin Habetov.

Thank you, have a good week.

See news coverage on this address here
Last edited by Globus on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bratislav
Senator

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bratislav » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:14 pm

ELECTION CAMPAIGN IN BRATISLAV INTENSIFIES AS VOTING DAY NEARS

Main Opposition Leader, Martin Habetov

The election campaign in Bratislav has intensified as the current PM, Albert Gregorev, and the main opposition leader, Martin Habetov, vie for the Presidential spot. Hitting back at critics who have called him authoritarian and far-right, Gregorev has said that he plans to govern Bratislav in a purely democratic way in accordance with the constitution. His interests will be the interests of the Bratislavian nation and no one else. He will work to make Bratislav a stronger country that doesn't shy away with protecting its national interests and cultural heritage.

Habetov has hit back saying that he himself is a devout Christian, but believes the fanaticism of Gregorev is unhealthy and that given Bratislav's major role in world affairs, the country must take a more balanced and tempered approach to international events. He has stated that if Greogrev is elected President, Bratislav risks becoming a pariah state that will be more similar to current SACTO countries than the current allies of Bratislav.

The intensity of the campaign spilled into a clash between supporters of both sides in one of the districts of the capital. 25 people were seriously injured and taken to hospital after the incident. It is said that Gregorev supporters had attacked members attending a Habetov rally. The army has assured that stability in the country will be maintained, but blamed the Habetov camp for instigating the incident. Some experts are wary of the overt support that the military has for Gregorev.

The election campaign will intensify as voting is to begin soon. With the recent clashes, it is feared that the election may instigate more instability and violence in the country, especially if Gregorev's camp feels it is losing. Current polling show a dead heat between both candidates within the margin of error.

---

The Gregorev Campaign has published 7 points that highlight the platform of his candidacy and the ideology of the right wing Freedom Party:

-Belief of God being the center of the universe.
-Belief in private systems.
-Belief in Fighting Communism and all its ideals.
-Belief in Tradition.
-Belief in Free Trade.
-Belief in an Organized Society
-Belief in defending family and life before anything.
ATLAS REGION(The Best Region): viewtopic.php?f=23&t=265127
Country Info: http://iiwiki.com/wiki/Bratislav

Return to International Incidents