NATION

PASSWORD

The Season Turns (Telegram for Entry please)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Novitera
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:47 pm

New Edom wrote:Quality Bay, New Edom
Parker Gladwin

Quality Bay, New Edom
Parker Gladwin

"The NWP is going to establish if possible an arrangement where more national companies contract out their services, merely guaranteeing provision of government resources through those contracts," said Galen. "That's part of their platform. It will take some time but that is part of the vision."

Parker rubbed his thumb around the side of his glass. Aside from that first sip, he had hardly taken a drink of his ice water. "That is vision I can get behind." He responded without a show of happiness. As a man who prided himself on his patience, he could hardly advocate rushing the situation. The cold of the glass was beginning to get uncomfortable so he set it down on a coaster.

"The government is not an impediment save in the case of the City of Harbourtown's government. In Tolly's case, they frankly jumped the gun," Lalery said bluntly. "By their own lawyers not taking our property and commerce laws into consideration. I understand they've hired Solomon Brothers, which is a very reliable firm that does a lot of work with foreign companies in contract law. Let them do their work.What I will do is talk to the Minister of Justice about switch magistrates. The fellow they have overseeing the case right now, he's young and trying to make a name for himself. I'll see to it it is switch to someone who is in the middle of his career, someone sound, ideally appointed by one of my uncles. That do Tolly, do you think?" Lalery asked.

"I am pleased by this. Some judges can be difficult I understand. We have the same problem in Novitera and with the state system it can be a nightmare. Federal law, Soletrek law, Calirma law, Welster law...a headache. Again, whatever you think is best to achieve our goals. I'll also be sure to have every other firm who is having troubles send in business proposals to your staff on how they can...exceed expectations when beholden to the government." He said thoughtfully.

"There is the matter of a possible CPO mission to mitigate the unrest of these elections. Trask initially put in an offer to send resources in that respect. Infantry, federal police special forces, some BIE agents to help monitor crime and violence. Of course, denying such offer could make your government appear uninterested in a peaceful solution. We are not sure whether the Regency government would rather handle this themselves or want to keep the Noviterans out of it for any reason. Let me know now behind closed doors. Would you prefer we quietly withdraw our offer? " Parker asked.

"Also, I made an inquiry before as to Harbortown. Is there anything else you can tell me?"

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:27 pm

Quality Bay, New Edom
Parker Gladwin

"Very well, the judge matter shall be arranged. More than that cannot be done if this is all to be above board. The corruption of the New Day Party must not in any way be seen as having any connection to us, we must keep our noses very clean." Lalery looked at Gladwin. Almost brooding.

Listened to him talk about the CPO. He grinned at Galen. "Foreigners, Galen. They don't take us at our word. I hesitate to insult anyone but I am almost inclined to wonder if they knew the meaning of honour. Did not Prince Elijah say that the CPO mediation was welcome, and that CPO observation of the elections was welcome and that if a peacekeeping mission was needed--it was also welcome? This was said by Prince Elijah to both Secretary Deol of Adiron and to the Ambassador from Adiron as well. And whatever you think of me, Mr. Gladwin--Prince Elijah is a man of honour. Which means he seldom says what he means but when he does, his word is his bond. So there you have it."

Gladwin asked about Harbourtown. Lalery waved a hand. "Well...the Free Congress is apparently unable or unwilling to control activists who are hostile to the NWP, Intellectual Party though curiously not the Feminist Collective--there's strange bedfellows for you. They've besieged Dr. Marius Campion, the NWP national candidate, and the Prophet has been making friendly arrangements with foreign Christian dominated states for help, and has been obliquely inciting mobs. Their Militias have apparently been shipped arms by someone according to our intelligence," he drained his glass and grinned fiercely, "And so they have anti-tank and anti-aircraft capability. It could all end in a bloodbath if we're not careful. So in answer to your question the situation Harbourtown is..." he made his hand wave downward like a leaf, "Deteriorating." He and Galen both laughed then.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:37 pm

Gloria Regis

Sixington

International Meeting,
Palace of the Ethnarch

Allene sat in the Palace of the Ethnarch, poised, reserved, watching the other delegates intently. Goddess, she never imagined that she would be in this position. She had always been a free spirit, a woman of dreams and boundless optimism. She felt constricted by the robes that she wore, suffocated by the tall shadow that she could feel looming over her at all times, watching her every move. But the Shrailleeni political machine, while sprawling and corrupt, could be ruthlessly insidious when it needed to be. It had snuck around her almost without her knowing it, winding and twisting her until she could hardly recognize herself in a mirror anymore.

But here she sat in robes of state, the personal number of the Foreign Minister memorized in her head, helping to decide the fate of a people whom she had come to care deeply for. At times she felt as if the plight of Gloria Regis was one of the few concrete, important things that she had ever done in her life. That was what they had used, that was why she was here. And when she focussed on that, the shadow receded, ever slightly.

She eyed the men from Nerotysia dispassionately. She knew that the Feminist Collective considered the Marxists to be fellow-travellors, and she understood that. She didn't have anything against Marxists personally, she was what they would consider a working-class girl, she sympathized with where they were coming from. But nations were another matter. She had learned that international politics were rarely black and white.

"Lady Livia, you know that you have the Empire's support in whatever you choose," she said softly, her eyes lighting gently on Barberina. "The Shrailleeni Empire has recognized Gloria Regis as a sovereign entity, and we have the backing of the rest of the Sisterhood of Nations, such as it now stands. I know that my government would be more pleased to see your nation live up to its democratic ideals than to become a single party state," she paused to glance at the Nerotysians, "but we also understand that there are concerns as well. The patriarchs have tried to kill you before, and the danger is not yet receded."

She looked around the room now, glancing at every delegation.

"The recent peace found between the monarchists is to be applauded, but it does not lift the danger facing these islands. We must remember that a Roman legion resides here, and Constantinople has far from reached a stable position yet. And then there is Hesperinus, not to mention the Imperium fleet still on its way. None of them can precisely be trusted not to attempt a violent repression here, as they have all done in the past. The region may be made uncomfortable with Lady Theadora's rhetoric, but her views are not completely unfounded. It is inspiring that Gloria Regis has been so tolerant and peaceful so far given the circumstances, a benchmark for peace that I know you will uphold Lady Livia."

She swallowed, repressing the need to sigh as she considered her next point.

"This said, I agree with the Consul that your participation in the National Elections may be a wise move. It demonstrates goodwill toward the Allied States, which will prove vital to negotiations. And with New Edom torn mostly between monarchists and this Theocratic Republic, Gloria Regis may repented an attractive third path. But I must stress that according to the Shrailleeni Empire, the independence of Gloria Regis is not beholden to these elections, only to the will of your people."

"The issue of the mutineers must still be considered as well. Shrailleen has asked Elijah to be content with the return of the naval vessels, but he appears to remain adamant. If my government is forced to harden on the issue by ourselves, it could damage our relationship with the Allied States. CPO mediation could buy us time, but a decision needs to be made by the rest of the nations here. I have heard that the Revolutionary Union stands with us. What of Adiron? Jedoria?"
أدرس اللغة العربية وهي لغة جميلة
Mother of One, Mother of All
Ask Me Anything IC
Come to the Mother's Embrace
New Edom wrote:Elizabeth Salt remarked, "It's amazing, isn't it, you rarely see modern troops that wear their 19th century uniforms and gear so well--they must drill all the time. Is this a guards outfit?"

Sif said to her, "This is a modern Shrailleeni Empire military parade. Like as in this is what they wear, this is what they use. This is it."

Novitera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:55 pm

Quality Bay Inn, New Edom
Parker Gladwin

"Forgive me Count Lalery." Parker leaned back in his chair. "I did not mean to imply anything just requesting an assurance that this is what the Regency wants. Very well, our government is happy to assist with the peacekeeping process. But the CPO, they can drag their feet at times. We want to move our light carrier task force into position now anticipating a peacekeeping mission. The fleet would play a purely bystander role until the mission is officially underway. Right outside the EEZ near Harbortown. As you said, the situation is deteriorating. Perhaps you can talk to Prince Elijah if that is something he would allow or be interested in." He posed the idea to Lalery.

When it came to military matters Parker had little experience or knowledge. He did have clout however with James Trask who was the commander in chief. With what was reported by the FIS and the projections of FASC, a bit of haste was prudent.

Tericio
Spokesperson

Founded: May 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Tericio » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:11 pm

ignore
Last edited by Tericio on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Estoni: "Tericio is just a happy foreigner in a panama hat and aviators throwing food at us."

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:45 pm

To: Vice Admiral Elijah Shalmaneser, Dr. Paul Aphek, Sarah Carmel, Livia Barberina
Subject: CPO
Encryption: High

My government is glad to hear there is a general consensus on CPO involvement in New Edom's elections. However, the four main issues raised pose fundamental obstacles to holding free and fair elections. The issues related to the Theocratic Republic call the legitimacy of the election itself into question. Military concerns over the situation in Gloria Regis will result in all political discourse related to independence or Edomite withdrawal being colored with violence.

It is the view of the Republic that unless all major parties are represented in the election, the current election violence could quickly spiral out of control into a general conflict across the Allied States. Since holding elections will be contingent on resolving these issues, my government agrees that the peacekeeping mission as proposed must be modified. We therefore propose adding a substantial mediation component to the CPO Mission.

We have attached a proposed format for mediation talks. Adiron will gladly host talks in New Laconia or Puerto Rojo, though we maintain that the selection of a venue should be agreed on by all parties as well as the wider organization. However, it is essential that some of the current violence be curbed while the talks are taking place. Any escalation during the negotiations could cause complete collapse.

Regards,
David Redstone
Ambassador to New Edom

1. What level of confidentiality is appropriate?

Secure location with reliable, politically-neutral security
Media allowed limited access

2. Where do the talks take place?

Official government buildings or military bases if taking place in Gloria Regis, New Edom, or other locations facing possible political unrest

Add luxury hotels and resorts as options if taking place in a nation at peace

3. Format: How do the parties negotiate and communicate with each other?

Negotiations in representative groups

4. Ground Rules for Conduct (for contact with media, one belligerent party with the other, composition of delegations, etc)

Due to the sensitive nature of the topics involved, contact with the media should be limited. The contents of deliberations can only be released to the press with permission from the mediators.

Belligerent parties are not barred from contact, but they must inform the mediator of any settlements or agreements reached between one another immediately.

Delegations should be empowered as full representatives of their respective governments. These can include heads of government/state, foreign ministers, ambassadors, or equivalent.

5. Timing/Frequency

Every day, 8 hours

6. Agenda (How does the agenda work? Do the belligerent parties propose concerns to be addressed? Will causes of the conflict be explored on both sides? Will an agenda be set at all? Will the mediator decide on an agenda and then consult with the parties?)

Grievances by all parties should be presented before mediation begins to the CPO, who will form an agenda based around each topic, which should be discussed one at a time. Presently the major issues to be mediated include the four primary concerns raised in the most recent communication by Prince Elijah Shalmaneser. Quoting that message:

1. The withdrawal of the larger offensive capability of the garrison on Gloria Regis (artillery, air defense, armour, combat aviation, the majority of mechanized infantry leaving perhaps one battalion there)

2. Recognition of the rightful government of the Theocratic Republic is insisted on by the Free Congress as a term of negotiation and revision of the constitution.

3. Protection of the mutineers on Gloria Regis is another Feminist Party condition. However one of my govenrment's conditions is punishment of the mutineers and restoration of stolen naval vessels to the National Navy.

4. There is concern on the part of the Free Congress and Feminist parties that if there are elections that it will prevent either the formation of the Theocratic Republic or the freedom of Gloria Regis. The Elections Commission has attempted to point out that that is why you campaign in elections is to no avail. The stain of the New Day Party and the 2nd Civil War remains on our country.

7. Sequence (often it starts with a cessation of hostilities, then tackling of other issues. This may not be possible and frequently is not. Calming on particular areas may be more likely. Establishing that the agenda as stated above will be discussed may happen simultaneously with attempting a cessation of hostilities.)

A ceasefire should be in effect before mediation starts. Presently there exists a truce between the formerly feuding monarchist factions, but a cessation of hostilities may have to happen alongside the discussion of other issues.

8. Deadlines. (Will deadlines be used for expected events, such as cessation of hostilities, cease fire agreements, area inspections, agreements on format or agenda, etc, set by the mediator?)

Deadlines will be set by the mediator

9. Agreement Modalities (does the mediator set decisions? Do all parties have to agree/compromise? Will there be a ‘nothing is agreed until everything is agreed’ approach or can particular subjects be agreed upon separately?)

Particular subjects can be agreed upon separately.

10. Mediation Team Options:
• Core team, external experts brought in depending on need

11. Engagement with the Media:

• Mediator makes official statements to the press, agreed by parties
• Mediator encourages parties to agree on how to deal with the press, as part of ground
rules

12. How much leverage shall the mediator have? (Ranges from honour system to potential imposition of CPO or other mandates to do carrot and stick, other elements might include financial inducements such as promises of advanced aid)

CPO should have leverage, with peacekeepers possibly deployed to enforce mandates.

13. Drafting agreements (the mediator can do this with him/herself and their team, do it jointly with the belligerent parties or have the belligerent parties submit ideas)

Draft agreements jointly with parties

14. When does the Mediator opt out/let go of involvement?

Only once a stable agreement is reached and successfully implemented

15. How are power asymmetry issues addressed?

Ceasefires and the efforts of peacekeepers will attempt to curb asymmetric warfare.

16. How are human rights issues (gender, age, religion, food, hygiene, medical conditions, transport, attacks on civilians) addressed?

Human rights abuses should be investigated by CPO authorities.

17. How will the mediation process deal with other actors who are neither officially belligerents nor supporters of the peace process? (ie mercenaries, arms/drug dealers, human traffickers, provocateurs and intelligence agents)

Neutral investigations should be carried out in each instance, possibly giving CPO peacekeeping forces authorization to deal with them as the situation requires, especially if they threaten to undermine the mediation process.
Last edited by Hittanryan on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:23 am

To:Ambassador David Redstone of the Republic of Adiron; Relevant Parties of the CPO
From: Sarah Carmel, President of the Theocratic Republic of the Allied States of New Edom
Subject: Mediation
Encryption: Moderate

Dear Mr. Ambassasdor,

While the general principles outlined in your letter attachment concerning mediation are acceptable as to the means, there are certain problems that must be recognized.

First; The Theocratic Republic of the Allied States of New Edom does not recognize the authority of any regency, and will not negotiate without being recognized as a sovereign state. The so-called regency is in rebellion against the lawful government of the Allied States. President Touchstone was elected by a general majority in the last election, the Monarchy at the time accepted this, and so while Queen Mara is recognized as Queen and Head of State, she must also be party to the Constitution of 2011 agreed upon in the national referendum. The current constitution is rejected as unlawful, established by a military dictator and usurper, whose acts are also unlawful.

Second: we are however prepared to compromise provided that the IX Army Corps stand down and return all forces to bases at Fineberg Military District and Silver River Air Force Base and Padan Military District. All such forces must be stood down from an active war footing.

Third: We insist upon the withdrawal from New Edomite waters, borders and soil the military forces of the Republic of Hutanjia, the Imperium of Arbites and the Maldorian and Ghantish contingents serving in the IX Army Corps. Roman forces may remain provided that they are declared part of a peacekeeping operation; if not there is no reason for them to remain in-country.

If these actions are undertaken we will gladly agree to a ceasefire as a prelude to mediation and the arrival of CPO peacekeeping troops.

We would prefer for the negotiations to take place in Puerto Rojos if possible.

sincerely,
Sarah Carmel,
President of the Theocratic Republic

To: Ambassador David Redstone of the Republic of Adiron; Relevant Parties of the CPO

Dear Mr. Ambassasdor,

I am entirely in agreement with the terms of mediation as stated, and eagerly await the arrival of mediators and observers. However I believe that you have received information that we are considered by military forces here under command of General Zadok Hesperinus. We would like these forces withdrawn, specifically all Special Forces units, the 9th Infantry Division and General Hesperinus himself with his headquarters and military intelligence staff. It is our belief that partisan activity against our security units has actually been carried out by his people in disguise including assassinations, sniper attacks, raids on patrols.

I request that the CPO put pressure upon the Regency to remove these forces. I will in turn agree to an exchange in which carrier Teman is turned over to the Allied States government with a neutral CPO party present. We will following that schedule turnovers of the cruisers Deborah and Jael. Furthermore, a naval task force called Odysseus, consisting of an LHD, two frigates and a submarine, must declare their presence immediately as they have been out of contact with the Teman for nearly a month.

Furthermore, Roman Marine Legionaries must be evacuated from Gloria Regis as soon as possible. Their presence is not neutral and they continue to occupy the town of New Brundisium.

We would also like to discuss the status of remaining Feminist political prisoners held at Stonehaven Prison, and would like inspections of their conditions and status.

Finally: it must be understood that our participation in the national elections does not affect independence, which was rightfully won by a Gloria Regis wide referendum in 2012. Our participation is rather to establish in a transparent way the majority we hold in our country and the approval of citizens who stand for gender equality on the mainland.

We are considering where we would prefer the negotiations to take place but would generally prefer New Laconia.

sincerely,
Livia Barberina

To: Ambassador David Redstone of the Republic of Adiron; Relevant Parties of the CPO

Dear Mr. Ambassasdor,

The terms of mediation are thus far acceptable. I would like to establish a cease fire immediately. However before I do so the following must be done:

1. Militias under the provincial governments of Teman and Bara must either disband if recently formed or return to their cities and towns to resume police duties.

2. These Militias as well as those in Gloria Regis must carry out their duties under the supervision of the Ministry of Justice without regard for a citizen's religion or political affiliation.

3. National Navy assets in Gloria Regis must be turned over to the government of the Allied States under the Regency, particular carrier Teman, cruisers Jael and Deborah. Plans for transfer or sale of other military property may be discussed in greater detail in further talks, but these capital ships cannot remain in the hands of mutineers which threaten our national sovereignty.

4. The strikes and demonstrations against businesses in Nass, Harbourtown, Sterry, Hillel, Westmark and Lookinghaven must be lifted. Citizens of the country must be permitted to do lawful commerce. Demonstrations if they must take place must not act as a blockade against such lawful commerce, but should be removed from halting entry and exit from the properties.

5. Insurgent forces in Bara and Teman Provinces must report themselves and disarm.

6. I have heard that extra-regional nations, Nerotysia and Anathaat, are directly supporting the Feminist Collective Party in Gloria Regis. I cannot tolerate military expeditions supporting a rebellion, however honourable that rebellion's intent, when it is already supported by a military mutiny and appears to be threatening the political freedoms of its own citizens. I insist that these nations limit their assistance to political advice and non-military material aid.

If these conditions are in place, we may in turn consider a cease fire to be in place.

Finally, as to the mediations: I do not particularly care where they are held provided the location is in a neutrally acting CPO nation. However I would like a formal press secretariat established with representation by the government's appointed Public Information Officer.

I have the honour to be
Vice-Admiral Prince Elijah Shalmaneser

From: Livius Glaber, Senator and Leader of the Intellectual Party of Gloria Regis

Dear Mr. Ambassasdor,

I am aware that we have not met, but I am the elected head of the Intellectual Party of Gloria Regis. You may be aware that in opinion polls our party is #3 in the nation. Our liberal moderate values appear to be taking hearts and minds by storm.

We are, of all political groups in the country, the most peaceful, the most dedicated to building modern safe communities. Yet we are not represented at the negotiation table. We are currently oppressed in Gloria Regis. Our party members have been threatened and bullied, prevented from going to voter registration areas.

Our party's position is that we simply want a greater degree of latitude in internal self government in Gloria Regis, but not independence. To handle our own defense budget for instance would scale back advances we badly need to improve our economy. We want instead to have a better partnership with the mainland government, and to avoid what we fear will be a one party state under Feminist-Marxists.

We therefore appeal to you: please let us have a seat at the mediation table so that we can air our concerns and grievances and have a voice on the international stage. We appeal to you: give us a chance.

sincerely,
Llivius Glaber,
Intellectual Party Leader
Last edited by New Edom on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Official Communique of the Late Roman Empire

Postby Late Roman Empire » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:44 pm

From: Statius Gallienus, Master of Offices of the Late Roman Empire; Justus Florianus, Legate of the Empire to the Allied States of New Edom
To: Vice-Admiral Prince Elijah Shalmaneser, Regent of the Allied States of New Edom; Sarah Carmel; Livia Barberina; Senator Livius Glaber; Ambassador David Redstone, Republic of Adiron
Re: Mediation; Peacekeeping
Encryption: None, as this is a public communique

Friends,

It has come to the attention of the Roman government that several disturbing matters are developing at once. For one, strikes and other disruptions have now not only disturbed legitimate commerce so much that many Roman investors fear to remain in place in New Edom, including Lucius Galerius of the Forum Idumaeum, but also Roman aid-workers and tourist fear to remain due to the continued violence of the upheavals. Worse still, by decrying the elections and urging action against poll workers, polling booths, etc., members of certain religious factions have essentially imposed their own electoral boycott on the rest of the territory that they have seized illegally to themselves.

This is clearly no accident. It corresponds with the unfortunate and legally dubious assertions of a resumed "Theocratic Republic of New Edom". Now, as any student of the history of the truce established in Erebus in Tartarus knows, that entity only existed during the partition that was briefly instituted under Secretary-General Canopus Fade, with the rest of New Edom to become the Kingdom of New Edom. When both sides surrendered their powers to the Interim Government and the Secretary-General was removed from office with the consent of the National Legislature, who named Brigadier-General Perrin Pahath-Moab as President of the Council, pending national elections, said entity, the Theocratic Republic of New Edom, headed briefly by Acting President Sif Finnhald and then very briefly by a reinstated President William Touchstone, ceased to exist, legally and practically as well.

It is certainly true that during the Second Civil War, the Roman state supported then Acting President Sif Finnhald against what was a lawless and extra-constitutional government attempted by certain members of the Monarchist faction. That ceased to be an issue once the Quelle Palace Accords, and therefore, the Empire regarded all of New Edom as its ally, as it continued to do under Perrin Pahath-Moab and his government, which we recognized as there was frankly no existing alternative to it. Having maintained that policy, the Empire sees no reason not to recognize the validity of new elections sponsored by the National Elections Committee and the Regency, as well as the new Constitution of 2015 as replacing the frankly imperfect one of 2011 (whose imperfection is demonstrated by the ease of its collapse).

That being said, the Empire has no shortage of admiration for Mrs. Sarah Carmel and certainly hopes to see her involved in the government of her country, albeit in a more legal and constitutionally legitimate manner. As former Attorney-General of New Edom, she knows the law well enough to know the precariousness of her present position and we hope to see her work with the new government of the Regent in a manner that can address the concerns of her party, the Free Congress Party, as well as that of the other factions without imposing a sectarian regime of the End Times Church on a nation where it is but one sect among many.

The late Prophet Thaddeus Burden worked with those of other faiths and was an effective Foreign Minister for his part, taking part in the formation of the CPO along with Count Marcian and the current Caesar Titus Clemens, among many others. Mrs. Carmel herself was an outstanding example of moral courage in opposing the coup d'etat in 2012 in the wake of President Touchstone's near-demise, as was then Undersecretary of State Colleen Fish. They had the courage to do the right thing then, when the right thing was to fight. We hope that they can see that the right thing here is to make peace with their opponents and work together for national unity and prosperity.

As far as the Empire is concerned, when both factions surrendered their power to the National Legislature, and through that to the Presidency of Perrin Pahath-Moab, that Interim Government became the sole, lawful national government in the nation, and the government of the Regent is the lawful successor to that government as well. The Empire recognizes only the Regent and his government as the national government of the Allied States of New Edom, to the exclusion of all others, whatever their claims.

Now, as touching Gloria Regis, the treaty which ended the Great War ceded Gloria Regis to New Edom, but it also stipulated that the rights of ethnic Cornellians or Romans should be preserved. The manner with which the Feminist-Marxist regime has behaved is to our minds a breach of that provision, particularly in terms of the religious, political, and property rights of Cornellians who uphold the religions, properties, and other traditions of their ancestors in opposition to a matriarchy not consistent with those principles. Their right to speak has been suppressed if they oppose the regime. Their property rights have been violated by strikes and seizure of property, even efforts to forcibly nationalize their firms. Their right to a government of laws has been transgressed by false and baseless trumped-up against certain members of the Senate.

Furthermore, at no point did the referendum mean immediate independence, as it was to be but the first step toward independence. Given the lawlessness and chaos, the failure of the Feminist-Marxist regime to preserve the public safety of all citizens during its last tenure, martial-law under General Hesperinus was the only sane alternative to chaos and anarchy. Given the highly partisan nature of its police force, it is any wonder that the citizens do not trust it? Who is going to trust Feminist or Communist Militia to protect the rights of Lecks, Christian Democrats, Socialists, or ETC? No one, of course. In such a situation, a prudent man is forced to rely upon himself and those of his community for self-defense, which is only natural and right, but this in turn makes factional fighting between militias and so-called police imminent, of course.

It is therefore the position of the Late Roman Empire, as I have been so instructed to elaborate by the Divine Augustus himself, that until both the Empire and the Regency are satisfied that a lawful government is in place which truly represents the People of Gloria Regis and protects all of their rights, that independence neither can nor should be recognized by the Augustus nor this His Eternity's Government. Furthermore, while we hope to see Mrs. Carmel included in the Regency in some capacity, along with Ms. Fish, due to their high moral fiber and principles, as well as notable intellect and keen legal and diplomatic talents, it must be under the aegis of the will of a new legislature and a new electorate, not one that existed four years past. The same policy applies to Gloria Regis. Let a fresh electorate decide these matters, not one that no longer exists. Let the elections resume. Cease the strikes, the harassment, the bullying, the riots, and other acts of lawlessness, and respect the rule of law.

In Hoc Signo Vinces,
Statius Gallienus Comes, Magister Officiorum quo Imperium Romanum
Last edited by Late Roman Empire on Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I swear by Almighty God that I will faithfully serve and obey the Divine Augustus, as our Lord and Master, and hold him alone as my true, dread sovereign and prince. I swear that I will serve him loyally until the hour of my death, on pain of damnation to my eternal soul." - the Imperial Oath of Allegiance (administered to the civil service and armed forces)

Woe to they who demand things of the Lord of the World, for he is neither so obliged nor amused.

Jedoria
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:05 pm

Sixington, Gloria Regis

It dawned on Andrei Paler just what he was about to. He could very well significantly alter Jedorian foreign policy, and with the world as globalized as it was, could very well alter Jedorian history for a long time.

It wasn't in Paler's character to be a confrontational one, but even he couldn't stop from taking the stance his government held. Once the Nerotysian and Shraileeni delegates had spoken, Paler took his chance and begun. "I'm afraid my government cannot support a one party state," he said, ignoring the hypocrisy that practically dripped from his words, "However we remain firmly supportive of conducting elections, and like my counterpart of the Shrailleeni Empire, encourage participation in the National Elections."

For a moment he paused, unsure whether his next works should be spoken before conducting his Duchess. But he pressed forward, setting his nation down on a single definite path. "And the Confederation will support the will of the people in the aforementioned elections."

"As for the mutineers, my government sympathizes with their plight but can also understand where the Regent's position originates from. The Confederation would not be opposed to a plan of action to save them from what fate might be in stored for them in New Edom, but cannot currently offer much support in that regard. However, Jedoria also does not enjoy pleasant relations with the Allied States, something that is unlikely to change ever after the death of the Brigadier General."
“We were all of us cogs in a great machine which sometimes rolled forward, nobody knew where, sometimes backwards, nobody knew why.”
― Ernst Toller

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:21 pm

Gloria Regis

Sixington

Headquarters of the Feminist Collective MIlitia

Last year, the prospect of politics and bureaucracy had both excited and terrified Julianna Aspen. Today, with the fate of New Edom and Gloria Regis hanging by a thread and demonstrations spreading throughout Sixington, she found that she felt mostly numb. Her youthful optimism had been beaten out of her by a Roman warlord and his ETC cronies, and her despair had been crushed by the weight of over twelve months of waiting. She was stronger, more determined, and more focussed now than she had ever been in her life. Her youth spent in the Feminist Party of the Free Congress seemed like nothing in comparison. Her daily mantra was a simple one, one that thousands of empowered women worldwide spoke with her: "Never again."

The arrival of roughly a company's worth of soldiers from Anathaat had been a huge relief. With the Shrailleeni at sea and Anathaat on the ground she felt much more secure against the threats posed by General Hesperinus and the Romans. She still worried about the Imperium, but she couldn't afford to worry about problems so far afield when there were plenty to go around right here in Sixington.

First and foremost, the protests. For a few days now, Feminist and Marxist protestors had harassed, obstructed, and in one case outright injured Lecks and ETC attempting to register for the New Edomite national elections. She personally felt like the bastards had it coming, they were practically begging the rest of the world to bring a sword down onto the necks of the 'ebil feminazis.' Sending messages to the New Macs and Rome and who knew who else. A lot of the women in the militia felt the same way, which is why they had done little to interfere aside from keeping the demonstrations from turning into full-blown rioting.

But the Feminist Militia was the most powerful force in Sixington, and with great power came, well, obligations. The message had finally come from Livia Barberina, the demonstrations had to stop. The party agreed with her. The National Elections were too important for the negotiations, the risk of foreign intervention more dangerous than the risk of the Lecks and ETC becoming a 5th column. Julianna didn't agree. The nations who hated women and Feminism wouldn't be deterred if they played nice, they'd go right on supporting the people who wanted to oppress and kill them. Like the most recent announcement from Constantinople showed, if it wasn't one thing it would be another.

But she had a job, a duty to the Party and to Gloria Regis. Whether the region liked it or not her militia was the law in Sixington, and if they were going to be the law then they had to obey the law. Wasn't that what they had fought and died for last time? What did all of those dead bodies mean if they didn't stand for anything?

Julianna sighed to herself, alone in her office. She didn't like the Lecks or the ETC. But orders were orders. And besides, what harm could there be in just letting them vote? The elections wouldn't mean anything for Gloria Regis anyway...she hoped. That morning, the order went out.

Sixington Streets,
Near the "Leck District"

The Feminist Militia had a few things going for it that made it unique in New Edom. First and most obviously was their clandestine Shrailleeni Imperial Guard training. These women, and a few men, were well versed not only in Shrai martial arts and firearms, but also trained to analyze situations, work with crowds, and as the Shrailleeni so eloquently put it "pacify the people." Second, many of them were veterans of the violence that had taken place last year in Gloria Regis. They had seen their comrades killed and wounded, they knew what real combat was like. This gave them an edge and lent a pragmatism to their no-less fanatical beliefs. Thirdly, the Feminist Militia controlled the streets of Sixington. With the Communists all but wiped out in the purges the FM had firmly established themselves throughout the city, complete with organized patrols and intelligence. People knew them, especially their fellow party members and fellow travelers.

The women and men of the militia greeted their new orders with predictably mixed feelings. All of them shared Julianna's mistrust in the Lecks and the ETC, especially the ETC. Some had stood silently smiling as they watched the cronies of patriarchal oppression jeered and forced away from the registration areas, their wealth and control no longer helping them. A few had dutifully said a few words, used a pointed look or placed their body in front of a crowd to stop violence from occurring, but no one had ever told the protesters to stop.

But the order came from Livia Barberina, reportedly from all of the party leadership, and if they thought that the Leckies and End Times wackos could be allowed to register to vote then, well, wasn't that their duty? Hadn't they signed up to fulfill the Party's wishes?

And so, with no small amount of reservations, on that particular morning the Feminist Militia gathered together its patrols and staked out around the registration areas and between those areas and the districts commonly inhabited by supporters of the Lecks and the ETC. To show that they were serious the Militia rolled out its Shrailleeni-donated automobiles, mostly sturdy general patrol vehicles armed with a single heavy machine gun, and set up operational areas fortified with sand bags and tents.

Then, with this crude type of corridor set up, the Militia members sat back and waited. The hope was that the theatrics, the vehicles and the sandbagged positions and the women with guns, would be enough to convince the protestors that it wasn't worth the trouble. And if the Lecks and ETC were intimidated, well, that was a plus too. They were there to help them, but they didn't have to like it.

If people did start gathering with the intent to stop people from moving down the corridors to register to vote, then the message would be simple. The Gloria Regian Senate, including Livia Barberina and Theodora Ferrovius, had decided that all of the people of Gloria Regis deserved the chance to vote. This was democracy in action. If anyone had a problem with that, they would be encouraged to bring it up with the party directly. No, so-and-so militiawoman didn't like it either, but they lived in a country with rules and they had to respect the party line, even if they didn't agree with it.
Ask Me Anything IC
New Edom wrote:Elizabeth Salt remarked, "It's amazing, isn't it, you rarely see modern troops that wear their 19th century uniforms and gear so well--they must drill all the time. Is this a guards outfit?"

Sif said to her, "This is a modern Shrailleeni Empire military parade. Like as in this is what they wear, this is what they use. This is it."

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:59 pm

Sixington

Palace of the Ethnarch

Livia Barberina said, "My feelings, and that of the majority of my party, are that we must be able to engage all our citizens, and that the best way to do so is through multi-party elections. I am glad to have received everyone's advice on this. With the assistance of loyal militia units and the Navy, we have been able to avoid being threatened by the ETC this time, and their very unpopularity in pre-election polls is very telling," she added with a smile. "Our strongest opposition is the Lecks who are not exactly heavily armed. A war of words--the best kind in my opinion."

She had heard from Hortensius about the round robin to turn themselves in if the mutineers felt it necessary; her heart went out to them but she had told them to keep it under their hats unless there was no other choice.

To the Jedorian delegate, she said, "I really appreciate what your government has done. You have no idea how much hope you have helped build by recognizing our status. It will not be forgotten."

Then she continued, "The mutineers and our people still held at the Ministry of Police prison of Stonehaven will have to be negotiated for. That's all there is to it. Thank you all for your unwavering support--I believe we shall win this time." she inclined her head politely to all of them.

The Streets of Sixington

The presence of City Militia was daunting to the activists; some of them were merely young people excited at a feeling of freedom, and with grins and shrugs made off. However one bespectacled young woman proceeded to lecture the nearest Militia officers on how they were defending The Patriarchy.

"When we hide behind their social niceties, it gives them more room to victimize us! We need to hold our leaders accountable so they don't lose sight of what is at stake! Surely you have known the suffering of the bootheel of the fascist dictatorship that we've lived under--surely you have sisters and even brothers who have. You can't do this!"

Local reporters asked questions, often leading ones. "Do you feel that it is right for our elected leaders to force you to accept the political maneuverings of people who hate and want to victimize women?"

"Are you aware that Leck leaders are being accused of sex trafficking?"

"The Leck power structure that they want to perpetuate depends on soldiers from the mainland to back them up while they establish an economic elite," the young woman with the glasses continued earnestly. "You know who is on the bottom of that economic hierarchy? Women."

"Sitting on the fencepost, ears to the ground, the fat cats still push the thin cats around!" chanted a group of sign waving students as they stood outside a Militia cordon while nicely dressed Lecks got out of a bus and went towards a registration center along with naked and shaved Christian Democrats.

The Army Base

Several dozen protestors moved in an endless circle around the road leading to the military reservation. Soldiers stood stern faced at the gates.

Farther inside, rituals were carried out; PT was done, soldiers did drills and classes, religious ceremonies were done, and training exercises agreed upon with the NAS were carried out. However there were rising tensions; fights occasionally broke out. Arguments happened in mess halls and barracks, fights happened between spouses.

General Zadok Hesperinus continued to deny that there was any harassment on his part of the NAS' marine infantry patrols. He moodily lapsed into a sullen silence most of the time, grimly formal with his staff following a stern letter from General Unwerth--his jumped up popinjay of a former chief of staff, now lording it over him--ordering him to avoid any provocation.

Barely able to eat with worry, Olympia Hesperinus watched her husband eat his meals like a machine. Fork slashes egg, lifts quivering white blacked with pepper to coarse lips; egg vanishes, powerful jaws chew. Dab of mouth with napkin, swallow of tea. Brooding eyes on newspaper.

"Any good news, my husband?" asked Olympia trying to keep the trembling from her voice.

Grunt.

Olympia felt her life was better...purgatory now, not hell. She mostly attended to her garden and the social life of the divisional command, parties, christenings, name day celebrations, walks, a playgroup for the littles. She had taken up photography and enjoyed it. Now and then the shadow of her husband came upon her; he was only briefly affectionate lately, and rarely took his marital duties. The previous night he had been drunk, unable to function, shockingly unlike him.

And ever the shadow of invasion or war. Shelter drills and lectures. Olympia felt she might go stark raving mad one day...

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:04 pm

Bara Province

Harbourtown

Ships carrying necessities were always welcome still; port authorities carrying out inspections still did them routinely. Certain foods however were deemed luxuries and had to be subjected to inspection.

However some had been impounded; the S.S. Monkey Ship, carrying monkeys intended for labs and zoos, had been held in place for a week, with the frustrated crew having to deal with an ever growing amount of monkey excrement and urine to dispose of, monkeys to feed, monkeys not happy with the ship conditions. It was not the only livestock ship delayed; and the port's regional health authorities were concerned but also so overwhelmed due to shutdown of National authorities that they could barely do more than write notes about it.

Meantime, other businesses were wondering now if they had been caving too soon. While the Notaras family were willing to come to the table, the Porphyreon Company, which was a subsidiary of the Wheymeyer Company's branch in New Edom, and made various products out of cardboard sheeting including boxes and other packaging, was now hesitating. News of peace talks was starting to slow the exodus. Some wondered if they ought to wait instead.

For the Terricio companies selling food and other goods, they would find that they got good prices indeed at the markets in Harbourtown. Terricio may have declared for the Heir, but they were somehow off the radar as they had no flags flying and no dog in a major military hunt. Orders could be filled for the market stall and shop owners. Certainly there would be no food shortages for the forseeable future--in non-luxuries anyway.

The Countryside

General Martin Benajah's main responsibility was to safeguard the road and rail approaches towards the western coast. Outside the city and the larger towns, villages were isolated, wretched places, but vital to the well-being of the ETC militia because of the food they produced. The first growing season had passed and the villagers harvested their grain, and so the Harbourtown Militia's East Brigade moved out to deal with discreet raiding that had begun--where Monarchist forces were forcibly moving villages out of areas on what was called a pretext of keeping them out of potential hot zones.

Dispatching a force of 400 troops under Major Isaac Dan, who was a former regular who had become an ETC convert, and secretly supported by flights of recon drones out of NAS Tyrannis, Benajah prepared to fight back.

The most serious incursion took place during the week of the Feast of Saint David, when an incursion of the 21st Lancers under Captain Zeldorinius began the evacuations.

Weather came to the East Brigade unit's aid that night. A heavy thunderstorm swept over the area, and General Benajah ordered a full-scale midnight assault in the middle of the storm, which turned into a bloody melee of hand-to-hand clashes. The East Brigade sustained heavy casualties, but the situation was completely to their advantage. They knew the area, were used to fighting in the forest, and had trained to fight in the dark. However they had to face sweeping attacks by the Monarchist attack helicopters, use of illumination mortars and ferocious counter attacks.

Units of the 21st were rushed from Tyrannis NAS but were misdirected by the pro-ETC Naval Intelligence section and were too late; jamming and confusion caused Captain Zeldorinius' command to be almost decimated, as they ran low on ammunition, were forced to rely only on the few attack helicopters and support helicopters at the FOB at Salcah. Units cut off in the dark, low on ammo and other supplies, were surrounded and slaughtered; others fiercely counter attacked and managed to link up with the main body. All the Squadron Commander could do by pre-dawn was arrange for an evacuation from the battlefield, as they razed the forest and farmland around them with rockets indiscriminately and retreated to Salcah with heavy casualties.

The casualties were heavy for the East Brigade too--but they had prevented the further incursions. So even though there was mourning, there was also celebration. Pyres for the dead were lit up with captured fuel; naked bodies of Lancers that had not been able to be recovered paraded through the villages. Naked sweating bodies danced in triumph, decorated with enemy blood.

This incident increased the headaches for Sarah Carmel and the government of the Theocratic Republic. From Nass, where she was campaigning and meeting with Governor Jacob Anthony, Sarah Carmel sent a sharp message to General Benajah, demanding to know if he had taken leave of his senses. However others praised the action. Phone calls to Fineberg and back to Nass were cold, courteous and intent. It was agreed generally that there would be a media blackout on this, and incursions over the 'border' limited.

"This will not be the last such incident, and now they will want blood in revenge," warned Sarah Carmel to Benajah. "You must control your troops."

"I cannot NOT defend our people," Benajah replied coldly. "Get those CPO people here before things get worse. You do your job, let me do mine."

Kohath told her quietly that he was right when she was raging after she'd hung up. "This is just a big incident we couldn't ignore; the fact is we're dealing with a border that is like a muslin cloth. Smaller actions have been taking place all along. The IX Corps is full of ruthless bastards, let by a ruthless bitch. It will keep provoking our people. Benajah is right. If the foreign press does get hold of it--my advice is let them. It will make our case the stronger."

Tyrannis Naval Air Station

"How could such a thing happen!" raged Colonel Elena Weber over the phone to a wincing Captain Arabella Ephraim.

"Maybe it's for the best," she tried to say, "The casualties are bad on both sides, but I hope...some good will come of the tragedy..."

"What good will come maybe if I come over there and shoot you, you incompetent fool!" shouted Weber. "My Lancers are dead, you squid brained idiot! How could your Intelligence Flight be so incompetent! How could your signals be so bad! We trusted you! No more!"

"Colonel, I do not accept you taking that tone with me..." Arabella began.

"My tone? The next thing you feel Captain will be my boot up your ass so far that you'll be tasting boot polish! You stupid bitch!" the phone was slammed down.

No one had spoken to her like that in years, and she had never heard the normally quiet refined army officer speak that way. But the worst thing was that she was right. She shuddered and ran her hands over her face.

The Most Holy Elder Brother was sitting as party to some trade negotiations; he was not present. His deputy on the base was watchful, clever, cold, and not friendly to her. She suspected him of being jealous.

Commander Lot was also upset, and wanted a court martial of the duty officers who had let this disaster take place. She had a sinking desperate feeling--doubt and fear was overcoming her.

If only she was just a pilot again...only concerned with the strength of her machine, weather, the environment, who she flew with, who the enemy was, what the instruments told her--a harmony of woman and machine. Free as a bird.

Fineberg

Vice-Admiral Prince Elijah Shalmaneser read the report, and put it down. General Unwerth, General Ashdod and Count Lalery sat before him in a semi-circle.

"I don't see how we can ignore this," said Lalery. "We have letters, emails, phone calls from citizens big and small begging us to do something. We have to do something."

"We can order Romain to move out immediately; we're still waiting on the rest of the Hutanjians and to get the Maldorians into position, but we can substitute the Romans for them..." Unwerth began.

Lalery gave him a withering look. "I don't mean that. I mean something political."

Unwerth gave him a cold look back. "Not my job, Count. My job is winning wars. And sir, with respect, Benajah at the moment has an advantage many will not see, but I do. His forces are dispersed, have stocks of food and ammunition ready to hand, and can peck at us and wither our resolve. Our chief advantages are wearing out the longer we do not deploy actively.

Prince Elijah said, "There will be no large scale military action. The bodies of our troops will be returned to us, a promise from Benajah of no further action to take place, and we will maintain the lines of truce for the time being."

"The troops are going to be angry," warned Ashdod. "And something else: there's rumours, a report from a Commander Lot at Tyrannis of possible treason. It may have been incompetence down there--but maybe not."

"The Navy seems to have a problem with that lately," said Unwerth blandly.

Elijah looked at him with a long gaze for a moment. "Yes, it does. I will deal with it. General, were your troops not ordered to communicate their intentions to the rebels?"

"Yes sir, I--"

"They did not do so effectively," Elijah said. "It could be said that that is why this incident happened. But the truth is that the strife in our nation is why it happened. We must work together and do it well. General Ashdod, I am empowering you to conduct a full investigation into the loyalty of personnel at Tyrannis NAS."

Ashdod smiled.

"General Unwerth: your forces are unprepared for an attack on Harbourtown. You will continue preparations until further notice."

"Sir!" Unwerth might be a proud man, a bit contemptuous of the other services, but he was too much a soldier to not obey an order from the acting head of state, the cousin of his beloved Heir.

"Count Lalery, please remain with me. Thank you, gentlemen," he added to the others who got up, bowed, and departed.

Lalery rubbed his chin. "This is damned awkward, but you know, things are better in Sixington. And in Nass--well I wouldn't want to be NWP there, but at least there's no possibility of an open war. Just...rumbles in the street with the EIO and so on. It's around Harbourtown and Sixington that things could get ugliest..."

"The reports from Harbourtown are very ugly. This...mutinous strain among some of our services is ugly," Elijah said sadly. "Well, we must do all that becomes a man. Nothing else can be done. What did you want to suggest politically?"

"Ah yes," said Lalery. "It's about the Roman letter. It's entirely true, Roman bluntness and rhetoric at its finest."

"But?" Elijah asked him.

"It will not fly. It makes things more awkward. Actually, I think that it in some ways could be said to be party to provoking Benajah's attack. Benajah may feel he has to attack, attack, attack, before we're properly ready. Unwerth has a point. The more allies we gather, the more agitated they get." Lalery said. "We have to get the Romans to declare themselves. This letter he sent..it ain't neutral."

Elijah sighed. "No." his gaze then hardened as he looked at Lalery. "But it is true, and it is right."

To: Statius Gallienus, Master of Offices of the Late Roman Empire; Justus Florianus, Legate of the Empire to the Allied States of New Edom
Encryption: Delivered in sealed pouch.

Your Excellency,

Thank you very much for your letter. I must tell you however that while I am grateful and my fellow members of government are, that the Free Congress leaders and Feminist leaders are not. I have received angry calls and there are hostilities boiling over in part because of this, though I certainly do not blame you. What you wrote was entirely true and correct.

The difficulties that lie ahead must face this fact: the legitimacy of my government is questioned by parties with whom I will be negotiating. I must strike a balance between mercy and stern determination.

I have accepted the CPO mediation and peacekeeping mission. However it may yet come to civil war. I have done I believe all that a man can do to prevent it. A recent incident involving a skirmish between a unit of the 21st Lancers and a militia force known as the East Brigade resulted in casualties in both sides. There is confusion as to why this incident even happened, and anger on both sides of course, and some concern even about further mutiny. There are those among my advisers who say that I must take a stand now, and fiercely. However once drawn a sword is less easily sheathed.

I would like to ask if you could have the Barebones Legion near Padan-Aran readied for an advance towards Harbourtown from the north, to be placed under the general command of the IX Army Corps. This would be an assurance to me. I also ask that at this time you refrain from dedicating forces to the CPO as an insurance of this support of my military position.

I have the honour to be
Last edited by New Edom on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allamunnic States
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Allamunnic States » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:21 pm

To: Vice Admiral Prince Elijah Shalmaneser, President Sarah Carmel
From: Representatives of the Cornellian Peace Organization
Subject: Conditions of Negotiations & Mediation

After reviewing the conditions, requests, and demands of both parties, and significant internal debate, we offer the following compromise proposal, in the interest of allowing the Regency and Theocratic Republic to come to the negotiating table:

1) At present, the Cornellian Peace Organization does not feel it can recognize the Theocratic Republic as the sole legitimate government of New Edom. Further investigation and debate is occurring regarding the legal basis of this claim. That said, the reality of the control of the Theocratic Republic over a not-insignificant portion of the country of New Edom cannot be ignored.

2) Recognizing that the continued presence of the IX Corps in Bara Province is detrimental to the process of peace, we propose that IX Corps be withdrawn to bases at Fineburg Military District, Silver River Air Force Base, and Padan Military District. Demobilization of IX Corps from war footing will be left to the discretion of the relevant government.

3) Recognizing the factors behind the deployment of IX Corps in Bara, we also propose that all militias in Bara Province and Teman Province stand down. Moreover, militias initially raised to police their cities should return to their cities of origin and resume their policing duties, while those established in the wake of the current constitutional crisis should be disbanded, with their members returning to their homes.

Those returning to police duties should dispense their duties without regard to persons' religious or political affiliation.

4) Recognizing that the presence of forces from multiple foreign nations, including the Republic of Hutanjia, the Imperium of Arbites Materia, and Ghantish and Maldorian contingents attached to IX Corps, constitute a threat to faith and trust in the integrity of negotiations and the peace process, we propose that these contingents and forces be immediately withdrawn from Edomite lands, waters, and airspace.

5) Noting an apparent insurgency that has arisen in Bara and Teman Provinces, the CPO proposes that these insurgents, who may not be affiliated with any government or greater organization, but appear to have made common cause with the Theocratic Republic, disarm and report themselves to the relevant authorities. This is proposed with a proviso that, should these insurgents disarm and report themselves prior to a set date, they will be granted immunity from prosecution for any related crimes or charges. We also propose that the Theocratic Republic, due to apparent ideological similarities with such insurgents, negotiate with any such straggling groups in the hopes of convincing them to stand down and refrain from interference in the peace process.

6) Due to the adverse effects observed on commerce, economy, and on the well-being of the people resident to these areas, we propose that strikes and demonstrations be altered in the areas and municipalities of Nass, Harbourtown, Sterry, Hillel, Westmark, and Lookinghaven. Although demonstrations are permissible, we ask that demonstrations not directly interfere with the lawful operation and conduct of commerce and production, refraining from interfering in these processes directly, or from blocking entries or exits of relevant facilities.

We hope that the proposed conditions of ceasefire will be mutually acceptable. If they are not, further negotiations are possible, but please be advised that the CPO is a neutral body working for peace, not for the aggrandizement of one group over another.

Sincerely,
Brunnhyld Torrenlunn,
Delegate from the Allamunnic States

On the behalf, and with the consent of:
The Cornellian Peace Organization

To: Premier Livia Barberina, Vice Admiral Prince Elijah Shalmaneser, Senator Livius Glaber
CC: Emperor Valerian
From: Representatives of the Cornellian Peace Organization
Subject: Conditions of Negotiation and Mediation

After reviewing the conditions, requests, and demands of both parties, and significant internal debate, we offer the following compromise proposal, in the interest of allowing the Regency of New Edom and the government of Gloria Regis to come to the negotiating table:

1) Recognizing points of contention regarding the fleet seized from New Edom during the mutiny accompanying Gloria Regis' push for independence, as well as the continued presence of Edomite and their Roman allies' troops on the island, we propose that an exchange be made. That the seized fleet be returned, in whole or in part, in exchange for the withdrawal of Edomite and allied Roman troops from Gloria Regis, in whole or in part.

Please note that, unless it is mutually agreed-upon otherwise, the exchange shall be the return of the entire fleet in exchange for the full withdrawal of Edomite forces from the island, or the partial return of the fleet in exchange for partial withdrawal.

2) We propose that the status of Feminist prisoners held in Stonehaven Prison be on the negotiating table during mediation and negotiation.

3) We propose that all militias that had previously been deputized to act as police return to these duties, dispensing their duties without regard to persons' political or religious beliefs.

4) We propose that foreign military aid from the nations of Nerotysia and Anathaat cease immediately, and we request that the government of Gloria Regis not accept military or non-humanitarian aid for the duration of negotiations. We propose that CPO peacekeepers monitor airspace and the seas to prevent interference by the aforementioned nations, who are nonparties to this process.

5) A representative of the Intellectual Party of Gloria Regis has requested that their organization be allowed to be party to these negotiations. If this is acceptable to the government of the Regent of New Edom and the government of Gloria Regis, the CPO is inclined to accept this request.

We hope that the proposed conditions of ceasefire will be mutually acceptable. If they are not, further negotiations are possible, but please be advised that the CPO is a neutral body working for peace, not for the aggrandizement of one group over another.

Sincerely,
Brunnhyld Torrenlunn,
Delegate from the Allamunnic States

Last edited by Allamunnic States on Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Part of the Ajax Role-Playing Community.
Stay apprised of developments in Ottonia
Political Compass
Six-Time World Bowl Champions (XVI, XVII, XIX, XXIII, XXV, XXVII)
WLC VII & X Champs (WLC VI, XI & XIII Runners-Up)

Novitera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:52 pm

Avantine, State of Soletrek, Novitera

It would have been a strange thing to see if there was anyone to see it. On a less traveled street in Avantine sat parallel parked a Sukujitsa sedan. Not one of their luxury models but more of a medium priced car with good gas mileage. Such cars were popular in western Novitera for the thick traffic that formed in these cities. They were comfortable, efficient and well priced. In the front seat sat Parker with Harvey in the passenger side. Both were eating sushi from a nearby hole in the wall restaurant. A lot cheaper than those high brow establishments that served at more than fifteen dollars a plate but both found it just as pleasing.

"Our Revolution Carrier Group and a number of battalions to the CPO. I don't know if I can sell that to the Panel." Harvey spoke, continuing their conversation.

"All you have to do is prevent a Directorate Override. Keep it less than two thirds majority." Parker answered.

Harvey set down his chopsticks after finishing the last bite of his unagi roll. An enjoyable dish that contained savory eel and avocado wrapped in seaweed and rice. This was one of the few times he witnessed Parker actually consuming something other than water, cigars and cigarettes. "We'll see. What does Zhao have to say about this?" Harvey asked, inquiring as to the opinion of the Executor of Defense.

"He has assured me that FASC says there is nothing to worry. Not that General Akkilien is happy about this. We have enough here to deter the Akai. Not that I think it is a problem. They haven't tried anything so brazen since we threw them back in 77. He said something about the 2nd Fleet will leaving port before the Revolution is underway and then increasing aerial patrol of the seas with the Air Force." Parker replied.

"Zhao, I fucking despise that man. He's unqualified for his position and only there through scheming not merit." Harvey expressed.

Parker nodded. "Indeed, but aren't we both where we are through scheming? If you would like I could have FASC send over their assessment. Present it to the FDP to counter any arguments that the mission would leave us too defenseless." He offered.

"Do it. I rather not use up my political capital if I don't have to. Until next time." Harvey stated opening the door.

He got out of his car and walked to the luxury sedan parked behind Parker's car. A man in a suit was waiting to open to the door for him. Being a Director and public figure required a bit more security. Harvey's sedan drove off with him wondering if they were investing too much in this situation.

*Note: FASC (Federation Armed Services Command)
General Jackson Akkilien - FASC Chairman
Last edited by Novitera on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

The Roman Perspective

Postby Late Roman Empire » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:54 pm

To: Vice-Admiral Prince Elijah Shalmaneser
From: Statius Gallienus, Master of Offices of the Late Roman Empire; Justus Florianus, Legate of the Empire to the Allied States of New Edom
Encryption: Delivered in sealed pouch.

Your Highness,

Your proposed transfer of the Barebones Legion under the aforementioned command is more than acceptable at this time. Incidentally, did you intend for the Maritimus Legion to remain in Gloria Regis for the present or transfer to the mainland? In view of recent demands of our withdrawal, that question has come to mind, especially to the Emperor's ear. We will naturally assist you in either location. The Augustus has the utmost faith and confidence in both newly appointed field commanders, he wishes to clarify, having met both of them just recently before their departure.

In Hoc Signo Vinces,
Statius Gallienus Comes, Master of Offices

"So, there it is. We are to move toward Harbourtown under IX Army Corps command. So be it. All pretense of neutrality is gone," the Roman Prefect noted.

"Sir, we are not neutral, nor can we be. We are allies of New Edom, and the Regent's Government is the lawful Government, the only thing standing between our ally and anarchy," the Chief Tribune serving as Executive Officer replied.

"Indeed. Well, carry out the orders as instructed to us. We are to move everything toward Harbourtown. Not a man or machine left behind. Tanks, gunships, rockets, howitzers, everything must advance. If there is to be war, let's win the damn thing! I've seen too many inept officers of late disgrace the arms of the Empire. The purges are in place for a reason, Tribune. The dry rot of Sarmaticus, those in high places in the brass who owe or hold favors are gone, all that is past. The honor of the Empire is at stake here. Do this and get it over with!" the Prefect ranted.

"Certainly, Prefect. That is all the men have ever asked for. Commanders who don't have their heads up their asses," the Tribune saluted and proceeded to pass the orders down the chain of command.

"And that the Emperor asks, all that Rome asks, is that we do our sacred duty," the Prefect thought aloud as he went back to the latest reports on the terrain and prepared to move everything yet again. God's teeth, so much on the move, but that was great in a way...this was real war, not some fancy Academy exercise!

Hours later....

Broken up into various smaller units, so as not to invite harassment like last time in East Bara against the Anarchists, the Roman Legio IV of the Imperial Marines, also known as the Barebones Legion, hauled some serious ass as fast as it could on its way toward Harbourtown, ready to assume its position as assigned under IX Army Corps command. Its Prefect couldn't be prouder, but he kept that pride quietly tucked inside him, not flashing people with medals, just communicating with his troops on closely encrypted transmissions, keeping a close eye on the movements of his force....a five-thousand man juggernaut ready to take its place in the lines and demonstrate that the ineptness of a few commanders didn't mean the demise of Roman might. The advice of Aulus Metellus and Servius Ahenobarbus had proven key here, but now it was about to be put to the test. What would come of it?

Then again, maybe it wouldn't prove necessary. There was always a hope of peace....faint hope though that might be. If only the stubborn rebels would just accept the rightful and proper order of things....if only....yesterday's allies had not become today's enemies.
Last edited by Late Roman Empire on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
"I swear by Almighty God that I will faithfully serve and obey the Divine Augustus, as our Lord and Master, and hold him alone as my true, dread sovereign and prince. I swear that I will serve him loyally until the hour of my death, on pain of damnation to my eternal soul." - the Imperial Oath of Allegiance (administered to the civil service and armed forces)

Woe to they who demand things of the Lord of the World, for he is neither so obliged nor amused.

Exalted Draconia
Envoy

Founded: May 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Exalted Draconia » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:16 am

To: Representatives of the Cornellian Peace Organization
CC: Emperor Valerian; President Tavish DeGroot; Premier Livia Barberina, Vice Admiral Prince Elijah Shalmaneser, Senator Livius Glaber; President Sarah Carmel; Foreign Minister Zattem Resbruck; Protector Khavar Ta'vish of Nalaya; Generalissimo Stevan Grimmeburger
From: Dr. Xander Mavros, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Hellenic Union of Exalted Draconia
Subject: Conditions of Negotiation and Mediation

Kyroi,

Let it be noted that I have been authorized by the President of the Hellenic Union of Exalted Draconia, Colonel Stylianos Mantarakis, to offer the services for a peacekeeping mission of a full battalion of Draconian military police. This is the Phoenix Battalion, the very elite military police unit in the entire Draconian Army. If accepted, these troops can be airlifted to Gloria Regis to help maintain peace during the elections and mediation process. This will be a force of some 524 men, whose sole function will be to keep the peace.

If interested, please indicate soon, so as to make the force more effective in the present situation. This force would be under CPO command and completely neutral in this situation.

Sincerely,
Dr. Xander Mavros, Foreign Minister of Exalted Draconia

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:19 am

Golden Peacock Hotel
Harbourtown

When the Regency was announced, the ANBC crew covered as much as they could. Found footage of people applauding peace while others believed the elections were now nothing more than a farce. It didn't take long, owing to the outbreak of election violence, for decisions to be made increasingly behind closed doors. Despite having been interviewed by the news crew months prior, Vice Admiral, now Regent, Elijah Shalmaneser still did not give a fuck. Information was too sensitive to leak to the press, national security was at stake, etc. etc.

The election violence was the latest development. With Unwerth in complete control of Fineberg, the next logical location was Harbourtown, the industrial center that functioned as the self-proclaimed Theocratic Republic's seat of power. Another team took over in Fineberg while Olsen, Rikkers, and Lemay made their way to Harbourtown. The trip didn't go too smoothly, their train was blocked by a crowd of ETC on a bridge and then stopped by Council Police to check tickets.

When they arrived, the riots had already started, attacking businessmen who were fleeing the country. The city was tense, and Travis managed to discreetly get some footage of the rioters stripping some fat cats and painting their rears blue. Harbourtown's industry was shut down by blockades, which Travis got a few more shots of. Apparently things were getting bad enough that the crew couldn't be sure their own safety was guaranteed, and withdrew to their hotel.

The Golden Peacock wasn't named without a sense of irony. Like its namesake, the hotel looked impressive, but there were things out of order. The bathroom in Chris and Travis' first room hadn't been cleaned, damp towels left on the sink, and after asking to change rooms, the next one had a big water spot on the ceiling. One of the elevators was out of order, and off to one side of the lobby the paint was cracking.

Apparently the place was full up, seeing how Chris and Travis were stuck in a room on a completely different floor from Holly. The director was increasingly tired, but couldn't seem to rest. She'd been in South Acheron for months now, starting with the Edomite royal wedding, then Dengali, now all of this. Entering her room, she noticed the faucet in the bathroom was leaking and closed the door before getting undressed. Exchanging her blouse, skirt, and stockings for a tank top and yoga pants, she also removed her jewelry and let her hair down, falling into raven waves.

She was just starting to look at footage when she heard noise outside. Going to the window, she slowly shut the blinds and tried to peer down to the street. There she saw dozens of people, including armed militia, surrounding a van, forcing it to stop. Although she tried to ignore it, the noise didn't go away. She finally slipped on some sandals and left the room at a brisk pace, making for the stairs past a seated figure.

"Wrong way Missy!" said the stocky concierge, looking up with flinty eyes from her needlework where she sat on a comfortable chair near the door.

Startled a bit, Holly had somehow completely missed the woman. "I'm sorry? What do you mean?" she asked innocently.

"That's a men's floor, Missy," said the woman sternly. "If you want services, the cafe, all that...down the stairs."

Frowning a bit in confusion, Holly could only stammer "Men's...floor? That can't be right..."

"You are not married yes?" the woman said, sharp eyed.

"No..." Holly replied, by now thoroughly bewildered.

"Then you don't go up to the single men's floor,' she said firmly. "We have to keep an eye on you young ladies, Missy. Specially dressed like that."

"Excuse me?" Holly asked, before catching herself. "Look ma'am, I appreciate all that, but I work with these guys. I have to speak to them right away," she said, before starting up the stairs.

The woman said sharply, "I will have to tell the management you are disobeying the Morality Act. And it will be a fine if you continue, you could lose your room, and even be asked to leave the city. Missy."

"The...oh for god's sakes..." Holly said, stopping, rolling her eyes, and pulling out her phone. She texted Chris Can u 2 meet me in lobby? old lady stopping me from going to your room, morality act fines and throwing me out of the city???

"Watch the blasphemy, Missy," warned the concierge, keeping an eye on the young woman, muttering, "Harlot," under her breath in Baran, glancing again in disapproval at Holly's attire, shaking her head.

Ignoring the concierge completely, not even looking up from her phone, Holly received a reply within a few seconds and made her way downstairs. She found Chris at the cafe, sill wearing the button down and slacks he traveled in, unshaven but looking maybe just a bit more upbea than usual. Sitting down next to him, she explained "There was some lady sitting at the stairs, she wouldn't let me just walk up to your room."

"Morality Act," Chris said knowingly. "Won't be the last time you run into that."

"Where's Travis?" she asked.

"Calling Christina," Chris replied. "So what's up?"

Holly glanced out the window. She could hear a crowd yelling, still rocking another parked car. "Chris...what do we do if they...if they..." her breath got short. Her muscles tensed, folding her arms and crossing her legs.

"If they what, Holly?"

"What if we're out, and they just...grab us? What if they come in here?" she asked, her voice little more than a whisper. "They won't even let us stay on the same floor, I'm alone..."

Olsen considered the question. "I'll come get you. Get me an extra room key, and I'll come get you. Look, we've got the Prophet's message to report on, plus all the riots and we need to try to get Carmel on record. You going to be OK for this?"

"Maybe..." she said, very hesitantly.

"I don't know, try going for a swim or something. Take your mind off things?" Chris suggested.

Holly turned to the muffled sounds of the riot outside. She wasn't sure she wanted to even leave the building right now...
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Cacerta
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Cacerta » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:25 am

Il Regno Di Cacerta
Ufficio della Grande Ammiraglia

To: Prince Elijah Shalmaneser
From: Elettra Doria, Grand Admiral of the Kingdom of Cacerta
Subject: RE: Cacertian Deployment
Encryption: Extremely High
Most Respected Admiral,

I humbly await your request regarding the further deployment of our forces in the Allied States. However, recent developing news regarding combat near Harbourtown has caused significant concern to the Queen and other members of our government. If there is anything at all that we can do to prevent any further loss of life, I assure you that we will stand by your government -- the 3rd Amphibious Assault Division has not yet departed the city, although they had begun preparations to do so. I wanted to inquire as to whether or not they should remain, or continue departing as planned.

Regards,
Elettra Doria
Grand Admiral of the Kingdom Cacerta
Last edited by Cacerta on Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allamunnic States
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Allamunnic States » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:47 am

To: Dr. Xander Mavros, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Hellenic Union of Exalted Draconia
From: Brunnhyld Torrenlunn, Delegate from the Allamunnic States, on the behalf of the CPO
CC: Generalissimo Stevan Grimmeburger; President Tavish DeGroot; Foreign Minister Zattem Resbruck; Protector Khavar Ta'vish; Emperor Valerian; Vice Admiral Prince Elijah Shalmaneser; Premier Livia Barberina; Senator Livius Glaber; President Sarah Carmel; Representatives of the nations of the Cornellian Peace Organization
Subject: Peacekeeping

Minister,

On the behalf of the Cornellian Peace Organization, we accept the offer of the Phoenix Battalion of military police to aid with the developing peacekeeping effort with sincere thanks. At present, the specifics of peacekeeper contributions and deployments, as well as the composition of the mediation team that will seek to help resolve the current crisis, are being discussed and settled, with our hope that this work will be done within the quickest possible time.

With great thanks,

Brunnhyld Torrenlunn
Delegate for the Allamunnic States

To: Admiral Margus Harren; Admiral Haargyld Waaldrlunn; Admiral Hylda Lyndstrum
CC: The Republic of Adiron
Subject: Fleet Movments
Encryption: Very High

Admirals,

Reflecting the new situation in New Edom and in regards to Vorindeum, the 1st and 2nd Fleet are to return to their home ports at the earliest possible time. The 3rd Fleet has been designated as a component of the Federation's contribution to the peacekeeping effort in New Edom and Gloria Regis, and is to continue on to international waters in the Tartarian Ocean, near to New Edom. The Mastodon should return with the 1st and 2nd Fleets, as it will be needed in the logistical and transport effort of CPO-aligned Allamunnic peacekeepers.

The 3rd Fleet, as it remains near New Edom and Gloria Regis, should also be prepared to assist Adiran naval forces in preventing the reinforcement of any Edomite faction by external third parties, including, but not limited to, forces from the Republic of Hutanjia.

Thank you for your attention, haste, and discretion.

Andrik Daanylsunn
Director, Ministry of Defense
Federation of Allamunnic States
Last edited by Allamunnic States on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Part of the Ajax Role-Playing Community.
Stay apprised of developments in Ottonia
Political Compass
Six-Time World Bowl Champions (XVI, XVII, XIX, XXIII, XXV, XXVII)
WLC VII & X Champs (WLC VI, XI & XIII Runners-Up)

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:08 pm

Sixington

The Streets of Sixington

While the activists there thankfully behaving themselves, some of their words and chants cut deep. Near a militia cordon near a registration center, a few Communist members of the militia became silent and sullen, some pulling out cigarettes, eyes cast down. Some of them cast loaded glances over at the Leck men in their fancy suits. They had been absorbed into the Sixington Militia following the withdrawal of the military, there weren't enough of them to form their own outfit like in the old days. Most Communists didn't really have a problem with that, equality was equality after all, but this business of letting the Lecks and religious nuts vote was galling to them.

One young man leaned against the side of a truck, eyes glued to his personal copy of the Manifesto. He had made a decision in his own mind, if people started coming across the barrier, well, he wouldn't see anything. “Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communistic revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win."

Elsewhere, the predominantly Feminist members of the militia reacted to accusations against them with mumbled, half-hearted apologies and snippets of official rhetoric. It was difficult to argue against points that they agreed with, even if most were determined to do their jobs. Low-ranking women tried to avoid eye contact as much as possible while their officers handled the questions. Morale was slipping, and it wasn't even midday.

Then a small, muscular Cornellian woman dressed as a Captain walked over to the bespectacled woman with purpose in her step and a fire in her eyes. In front of her and all the reporters, she stripped off her jacket and vest and pulled her collar down to reveal a twisted scar on her right shoulder.

"Listen Sister, you see this?"

Without waiting for a reply, she pulled her pants halfway down, gesturing to another scar that stretched across her right thigh, up to the hip.

"And this?"

She dressed again, putting everything back into place as she talked.

"Those ETC fuckers shot me last year, twice, while we were trying to stop them from holding the whole city hostage. I saw a lot of good women get a lot worse too, and a lot of good men. I still salute every damn Communist in this Militia, because anyone who still wants to fight for freedom after what they did to the Reds has every ounce of my respect. Trust me, we know about suffering and we know who did it."

She pointed behind her, finger jabbed accusingly at the Lecks.

"When I came to after getting shot, the first thing I wanted to do was to kill every one of those bastards, guns or no. But do you know what the second thing was? I realized that I couldn't. I never would. Because I wasn't going to let any man change who I am, and I am not an ETC fanatic or a soulless Leck."

She looked right into the camera, then back to the young woman.

"I don't know about the sex trafficking thing, not that I don't believe it. And I damn well know that the Lecks are elitists who value money over human lives. But don't ask me or any of us to stoop down to their level and start busting heads just because we don't agree with them. That isn't who we are. We're all party members here, and we put our faith in Livia Barberina for a reason. And we all want the same thing, an independent Gloria Regis that treats everyone equally and fairly, that takes progressive steps toward those ends, and preferably one that isn't built on any more blood than it already has been."

"And guess what? We have the power now. They aren't going to be sending for armies without going through the Shrailleeni, and Adiron, and Jedoria, and Anathaat first. They can vote whatever they want in the National Elections, but this is still Gloria Regis, we have already spoken."

"So yeah, we're going to let them vote. Because even though they're assholes, we're not like them. We'll never be like them. We're not going to turn into jackbooted fascist thugs and plunge a knife into democracy just because we don't like their opinions. If they break the law, or step one toe out of line, then we'll deal with them. But right now we'll treat them with the civility that they would never show us, because we're better than they are. And that's all there is to it."

Shrailleeni Stage 4 Task Force,
Off the coast of Gloria Regis

"It's deplorable. Stage 4 was conceived as a military intervention to place Gloria Regis under our control. Now we're parked here uselessly staring down Patriarch fleets and supporting a republican movement."

The Ship Matriarch said the word with same revulsion one might use to describe a particularly loathsome parasite, and the looks on the faces of the other Ship Matriarchs weren't much better. They all sat in the SM's quarters aboard the SIS Chella Resyanna, where Salla'at Atria fe Shrailleen had gathered them. Together they were the senior officers of over half of the Task Force, and all of them were of noble blood. That blood was the subject of discussion at the moment, a whispered affair conducted in the dead of night after several careful concealed messages from the Home Islands.

"This is all Resbruck's doing," the Ship Matriarch of the cruiser SIS Shrevvit replied darkly. "He countermanded the original draft, I'm sure of it. My cousin won't say anything, but Tress Vilnis has always been a traitor to the greater Fromathra."

"Well the Great Houses are all in agreement," Ship Matriarch Salla'at continued. "This 'National Assembly' must never take place. For too long the Empire has been infected by these foreign, unenlightened ideas. We've been too soft on our so-called foreign Sisters and their ideas about equality and democracy."

"Sister Matriarch, how bad is it?" the SM of the frigate SIS Kerulla questioned politely. None of their expressions had changed the entire meeting, and likely would not. They still held the level of professional pride that so many Shrailleeni, including high-ranking ones, seemed to be forgetting.

"It is bad. The family Matriarchs all agree the Imperial Throne is seeking to strip everything away from us. Our titles. Our land. Our taxes. Our troops. They will leave nothing left, save for our lives."

"And truly, what kind of life would that be?" Ship Matriarch Kalren Venda fe Sevreen replied. There was a tense moment as Salla'at stared down the other woman, who was very close to her in rank and status, the two silently deciding how to approach her breach in etiquette. In the end it was Salla'at who looked away. There were more important things at stake, though she might come to regret that later.

"None. Which is why everything depends on us to act. The Great Houses cannot challenge the Temple, not directly. Our only hope is to strike at the heart of our troubles while it lies exposed, and then pick up the pieces afterward."

Searching eyes roamed across her face, trying to guess the meaning of her words.

"I have a distant cousin who is a pilot. There are two more, from the greater Vangarra and the greater Sevreen, who I have arranged to embark on a patrol together. This patrol will coincide with the flight path of SAC-1 as it heads south toward Kurungarra. When SAC-1 fails to negotiate the air space over Gloria Regis, our families take the proper steps to ensure that the Mother Empress better heeds their advise."

The room fell eerily silent as all of them contemplated this. All of them understood what was being said, it was positively blunt compared to what they were accustomed to. The Mother Empress, Prince-Regent, and Foreign Minister would all be killed in one action. The next Mother Empress would be someone firmly in the hands of the noble families. It was the only way to oppose the National Assembly without risk of being labelled apostates.

"Our cousin pilots, they will experience an accident upon their return?"

Salla'at looked at the speaker warningly.

"I have arranged that those pilots will not actually fly at the arranged time, they will instead by waylaid by mutineers inspired by the Gloria Regians and filled with murderous republican nonsense."

She looked around the room, meeting every woman's gaze.

"Is all understood?"

That night, six helicopters left the SIS Chella Resyanna as the Ship Matriarchs returned to their vessels, each containing a single piece of a cold and murderous conspiracy.
Last edited by The Shrailleeni Empire on Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ask Me Anything IC

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:46 pm

The Troubles: 1

Harbourtown

Justin Kwoll, a delegate who was proposing to stand for one of the Harbourtown Electoral Districts as a Deputy for the Free Congress, had possibly only been trying to trash his chief opponents, NWP candidate Christopher Ender and Intellectual Party candidate Leah Avens. When he brought up purchases of businesses by foreigners, and said "They are stealing our resources right from under our noses and making a mockery of the strikes and demonstrations" he was not aware that roughly at the same time news of an armed clash near Salcah had leaked. The Roman message, moreover, had been open and so it was read by political leaders all over Bara, Teman and Lookinghaven.

On the streets of the city, the more recently recruited Militias were gathering, painting their bodies blue and white, accepting older rifles from the armouries, machetes, pistols. All for nothing, all for nothing raging among them like a growing wildfire. The NWP and the Monarchists were mocking them.

Tim Stanton, in his hotel room at the Crescent Moon (about 8 blocks from the Golden Peacock) had been shaving when he heard a lot of trucks outside. He cursed seeing that they were full of militia. "Where are they going?" he wondered. "Deacon--Deacon!" he shouted, running down the hall, wiping shaving soap from his cheeks. "Come on, get the camera, get the others, let's go!"

At Dr. Marius Campion's campaign office, the City Militia commander, Erasmus Zerah, was unaware of any orders other than to maintain his blockade around the offices, with his 12 army issue trucks and armed Militia. However a phone call to Campion warned him that several business owners had been attacked openly, were fighting off armed mobs, and so he and his followers immediately began to arm themselves.

"We need to contact Erasmus," Campion told them, "And get me the Minister of Justice on the phone, fast!"

As he was fuming, trying to get through, finding to his frustration that the Minister was not available ("I don't care if she's taking a shit, get her! This is a damned crisis!") he heard bells ringing in the city.

There was a call on another line; his secretary, Una Ires, took it. "Hello...oh, Mr. Ender, how are you? Things are--oh Lord...just a moment..." the frightened young woman handed the desk phone's receiver to Campion. "Sir, Mr. Ender on the phone..."

"Ender? What's going on?" Campion demanded. "Are you alright?"

"They're battering at the door," gasped Ender. "Pray for me, my friend, I think it's all over..." there was a sound like shots fired, shouts, things breaking.

"Ender--Ender!" cried Campion. He turned pale. His friend, his colleague...he heard terrible cries and shouts of violent intent and violence.

Tim Stanton gritted his teeth--down the street from where he was, he saw a violent brawl suddenly turn bloody as at an Intellectual Party campaign office ETC threw cinderblocks through the windows and rushed in with waving clubs and machetes. "Damn it...what are they doing?" he was not really surprised when he thought about it, just sickened and scared. Deacon was cursing constantly.

"Deacon, shut up and focus..."

"What happened?" Tim asked one of the ETC women who was shaking her fist, smiling with bright glittering mad eyes.

"They came to grab him for questioning, the bastard had been brokering deals with the foreigners to sell our resources! Well he SHOT our leader, shot him in the belly! So the boys wouldn't stand for that...now see!"

Tim clenched his teeth. "yes, I do see. But it is for God to judge." The woman stared at him. Tim realized he should have kept his mouth shut, but he'd faced scarier things than her, so he just stared back at her. "I'm Tim Stanton, Fineberg Times on a field mission for NENN."

"Well, the Romans are coming, and the Hutanjians and the Maldorians. Foreigners and foreigners and foreigners, and where will you stand, Mr. Fancy reporter?" she sneered. "Do your job and report." Some of the other ETC followers laughed, and he nodded.

"I will." Tim said. But they were turning their attention to the bloody and battered Intellectual candidate they were dragging out, and two holding his arms as another raised a machete.

"God--no!" cried Tim. The machete fell, the crowd cheered an ugly cheer.

Tyrannis Naval Air Station

Arabella Ephraim sank down behind her desk and sorrow washed over her. Most Holy Elder Brother Malachi said quietly, "It is time. The faithful among your officers are ready. You must be ready. Or do you need to resign? I will hold no shame in you if you do. Not all who are called will come. Not all who are called are truly pure of heart."

"I am pure of heart," said Arabella.

"Remove your uniform. Everything." the priest said.

Arabella got up and did so, hear heart beating fast, her eyes wet. Her jacket, her blouse, her bra, her pants, her underwear, her socks, her shoes.

"You and the other faithful will only wear the necessary uniform from now on," he informed her, "As a sign of your loyalty. Kneel now."

Arabella knelt. if she had been told a year ago that she would in utter devotion kneel before a naked man to receive his benediction, she would have laughed. Now...she merely felt a mixture of shame. Shame at her betrayal of her oath, shame at her lack of desire, her natural desire she should feel. Instead, she merely felt bad about it as she tried to devote herself to worshipping him through the caressing of her mouth. The odd thing was that it was very difficult to get him to the point where he was fulfilled, and sometimes he let her stop. It was clearly her duty, and she did it willingly.

Most Holy Elder Brother Malachi sighed inwardly. He had no idea why she insisted on doing this; clearly she didn't like it. He didn't care if she was a lesbian as long as she didn't act like one. As a joke he had suggested it, she had done it, and now did it every time he asked her to kneel to pray. At least she didn't do it in public. He didn't want to hurt her feelings so he said nothing but just stroked her head. Strange woman.

"Now...I have a list of offices and other personnel to be arrested by your Security Force."

"What about the Lancers?" she asked.

He smiled. "Why do you think General Benajah ordered the attack on their force earlier? They will be drawn away, and the Cacertians are already withdrawing. We are not traitors. We serve the rightful Queen Mara and the Holy Theocratic Republic."

She got up and said, "Very well. I know my duty. Yes, you are right of course." It made things more simple and clear really. Her oath was not after all to Admiral Shalmaneser but to the Queen and the nation...

"But what about the Cacertians?" she asked.

"I have it on good authority that they will be withdrawn for the time being," he said with a faint smile. "If they are not--offer them no harm unless they offer to harm us, but watch them closely...."

Near Salcah

Isaiah Grom hated and feared the ETC. Like many rural Barans, he had grown up in a traditional farming community, and always there had been people trying to steal the land; ETC were just the latest politicals to do so. However he was overwhelmed not by his fear of the ETC at the moment but of being in the same bird as the Regimental Commander, Regimental Sergeant Major and the other HQ staff. They were all old hands at this; he was a new RTO and self conscious every time he was spoken to. On top of that, Sergeant Igon, the senior RTO, had been ordered onto another bird with the Master of Horse (the IIiC of the Regiment).

Well, that and the 20 others on the TH-300 Lakota. They all bore the crossed lances patch, the 21st Lancers, the best of the Lancer Regiments, among the top Cavalry Regiments in the Army for generations. A Lancer had to be ready to go in first and leave last, to take hard action as airmobile infantry.

They were all armed to the teeth--AK-94 assault rifles, sidearms, Elwe style slightly curved fighting knives preferred to bayonets, grenades, ammo packs, combat webbing, body armour, BALCOTH smart helmets with radio receivers. His manpack radio, an RPK and a Mary Jane, a GR-88 Grenadier Rifle, GL-20 grenade launchers. The Colonel was talking into a radio.

"Grom!" shouted a voice that made him jump.

He was looking at a dark olive tanned man who looked both older and younger than his age--wizened face, weathered to desert rockiness, a little amused smile on his face, his body however able to keep up with the youngest Lancer.

"Yes, Sergeant Major!" he shouted.

"Relax son. This isn't your first time out." the senior NCO said.

"No sir, but my first time with the Regimental CP..." Grom said a bit sheepishly.

Beor nodded. "Well, try not to shit yourself every time the Colonel asks for your handset, boy. She has enough on her mind. And try to keep a tight asshole anyway, got it? Keep your head down, keep your frequencies clear in your head and shoot in the same direction as the rest of us, got it?"

"Sir!" said Grom. He felt somehow relieved at the older veteran talking to him like this.

However he didn't know that he was not the only nervous one; everyone was worried about what had happened to Captain Zeldorinius' squadron. Was it betrayal, were the Navy just a bunch of idiots at Tyrannis? Rumours were flying around, and it was for this reason that the other two Mounted Squadrons were rushing to Salcah now. There was intelligence of another attack; General Romain had ordered the 4th Cavalry Brigade to consolidate positions at Salcah and Amor.

Below them, green farmland, light woods, rolling hills moved as the V formation of the First Squadron rushed to reinforce their comrades. Grom looked at the sturdy back of the gunner leaning on his gatling gun and tried to be reassured.

"Five minutes to LZ!" shouted the pilot over his shoulder to Weber. Weber nodded to Beor who roared, "Five minutes, Lancers! Let's do last minute checks." Weber said to Grom, "Get me the Master of Horse, then the other Troop Commanders in order."

"Uh, yes Ma'am," stammered Grom. Beor rolled his eyes at Weber who pursed her lips, trying not to laugh.

"Whenever you're ready, Corporal," she said. They were passing over an area called Akez Forest, a green swath of land that spread like a giant amoeba in an area of farmland between Salcah and Harbourtown.

Suddenly, from below, there came the eruption of rockets and anti-aircraft fire below that ripped into the skies. The craft rocked as projectiles and detonations impacted it on either side. "Hold on!" shouted Beor. "Damn it!"

Grom was thrown to the rear of the craft with several other Lancers tumbling over one another. Beeping alarms were going off, the helicopter rocking and bucking; the gunner nearly fell out and desperately grabbed onto one of the hand rails; cursing the medic grabbed him and pulled him back in with a heaving effort.

A line of bullets tore through the floor around Grom, two of the other Lancers suddenly perforated with spraying holes, followed by his screams as he buried his head into his knees. Then the lightning hit again, the massive bolt striking the starboard wing of the C-130 and setting it ablaze. Galen held nothing back as he unleashed everything, screaming at the top of his lungs and holding onto his rifle as the plane tilted to the side at a dangerous angle. The other C-130s that had been flying alongside them had dropped their troopers and were now breaking off, leaving the flak rounds to focus on Galen's plane.

Bursts of shells exploded alongside the aircraft, tearing more holes in the plane until it seemed more like a giant cheese grater with wings than a transport. Knowing he was in his last moments, Galen turned toward the front of the plane, toward the last few of his brothers who stayed on board. Those who weren't dead or lacked any common sense had already leaped from the plane. Of the sixty-four troopers that had come aboard, seven remained. One was Michael, holding desperately onto the safety harness as the great vacuum tried to suck him out the plane. Galen could only watch in horror as the plane neared the ground, the g-force of their descent pressing him against the rear hatch of the aircraft.

Outside, in a dizzying spectacle, he could see one of the attack helicopters seeming to freeze in the air as it stopped and spun, rockets and gatlng guns blazing at an area where there were puffs of smoke hanging. Another Lakota was moving by rotating wildly, smoke pouring from a tail rotor, to slam down beyond a stretch of trees into a field near a farming village with a violent crash and a huge cloud of dust, rotors snapping against the earth.

"Who's hit? Sound off!" Beor said.

"Two wounded back here, Sarge-Major!" shouted Grom, shocked at how high his voice was.

The medic was scrambling back there; sparks flew; they were being tracked; their escort slammed rockets down against the village. The gunner vengefully opened fire as well, streams of rounds chattering down, puffs of dust rising from his targets, scrambling figures moving below.

Below them, Major Isaac Dan was directing the attack on the arriving reinforcements with the coordination information fed to him by Tyrannis NAS's Kite drones. MANPADs and anti-aircraft autocannon pounded at the enemy, but they were hitting back hard. However 2,500 reinforcements had been sped in by General Benajah and were on the move, using the rough country and the rain for cover.

Major Isaac Dan was meanwhile, far below them, leading the advance units of 2500 Militia of the Eastern Brigade towards Salcah in a U shaped pattern of raiding forces. Support units largely made up of women and younger people followed. Supported by the secretly deployed air power of the Naval Air Station, they were camouflaged by the jamming by the AWACs and drones which would buy them valuable time to spring their attack. Once it was clear that this had been done, this element of surprise would be over. For the time being, Grom and other signallers were frustrated and maddened by not being able to reach their contacts.

There were two main political objectives of the Free Congress forces. The first was to strike a heavy blow against the belief held by many ordinary citizens and Free Congress politicians of the notion of Unwerth and Romain's invincibility; they were commanders who had rarely lost a battle and never lost a campaign, even under the hardest circumstances. Politically it had another point--to demonstrate that the very presence of large foreign contingents was a huge provocation; if they left, there would be peace--since of course they formed at least half of Romain's forces. An offensive against them would require either bringing back units from Damoclea, Delvian States, and so on or stripping the border and making the country more vulnerable to the Deadorans.

The other reason was also about the negotiations: to demonstrate that the Theocratic Republic was more than just demonstrators and naked activists. The disdain of a number of foreign nations for the idea that the Theocratic Republic was an entity at all had to be challenged, it was felt by many of the leaders--particularly Samuel Under, who gave his blessing to Benajah's plan.

As the ambush on the reinforcing 21st Lancer Squadrons took place, the attackers began to move into their positions for an assault on the defenses of Salcah.

IX Corps HQ, Town of Benjamin

"The 21st have come under heavy attack, and we have no coordination with the NAS at all," reported Colonel Havoth-Jair to General Romain. "We can reinforce the 21st further with the 18th units at Amor..."

"We can hear them, they cannot hear us," said the Corps signals commander flatly. "They might be being jammed by some means. Air Force AWACs is taking over from the Navy. What we're getting is spotty anyway, and there are glitches still with the SATCOM systems there."

"The Southern Fleet is riddled with traitors, I think," said the Council Police liaison; everyone looked at him coldly a moment and then looked back at the general.

"I will not run around like a frightened quail," said Romain calmly. "There will be time. I want a general order to advance all units of the IX to our positions around Harbourtown, now."

The staff began to get moving. Orders were sent out to the Maldorians, Ghantish, Hutanjians, the 18th, the Cavalry Guards.

Map of Area near Harbourtown

The new orders were as follows:
Hutanjians to move to Salcah immediately, with orders to help the 21st engage the rebel Militia. Right now the orders were just that--drive the Militia back from Salcah. Harbourtown itself was not to be attacked.

The Roman forces were ordered to the town of Saint Joseph to hold the position there; they would be joined by the 1st Rover Team on the way who would act as scouts and contacts.

The Maldorian force was ordered to Amor to hold it; they would reinforce the advance units of the 18th there, while the rest of the 18th would leapfrog to Jabbok. The Ghantish would advance to Heshbon to rendezvous with units of the 9th Marine Infantry. Romain with support units and the Cavalry Guards would advance to Salcah following the Hutanjians.

To: Elettra Doria, Grand Admiral of the Kingdom of Cacerta
Subject: Cacertian Deployment

Dear Grand Admiral,

We anticipate possible hostilities with the ETC. Naturally your own forces could come into some risk, so my advice to you is this: remove all forces for the time being to your fleet until further notice, remaining at an offshore position of about 25km which should be suitable range for distance from any immediate attack by insurgents.I also advise maintaining helicopter and small boat patrols to avoid the same.

Your marines could possibly be of greater use in such capacity as well. I thank you for your offer of continued assistance.

sincerely,

Swiftchat.Vizionnet.Ne.

< Shepherd434: Tell me, O thou whom my soul loveth, where thou feedest, where thou makest thy flock to rest at noon: for why should I be as one that turneth aside by the flocks of thy companions?

< Shepherd434: If thou know not, O thou fairest among women, go thy way forth by the footsteps of the flock, and feed thy kids beside the shepherds' tents.

< Shulamite23: I have compared thee, O my love, to a company of horses in the Kings chariots.

< Shepherd434: Thy cheeks are comely with rows of jewels, thy neck with chains of gold.

< Shulamite23: We will make thee borders of gold with studs of silver.

< Shepherd434: While the king sitteth at his table, my spikenard sendeth forth the smell thereof.

< Shulamite23: A bundle of myrrh is my well-beloved unto me; he shall lie all night betwixt my breasts.

< Shepherd434: My beloved is unto me as a cluster of camphire in the vineyards of Engedi.

<Shulamite23: Behold, thou art fair, my love; behold, thou art fair; thou hast doves' eyes.

< Shepherd434: Behold, thou art fair, my beloved, yea, pleasant: also our bed is green.

<Shulamite23: *logging off*

The girl knew what she had to do. She had been planning and rehearsing for some time. It was hard to do this though, so hard...but she must. She kissed her good friend goodbye, and then began her journey. Carrying an armful of laundry, soiled towels and cloths, she moved down a stairway and found herself in a busy corridor of moving bodies, all naked like her own, not a tan line among them. Then she was in the steaming chaos of the laundry room, and had a voice shouting at her about going the wrong way. She dumped her load, grabbed another, clumsily got in someone's way, was cursed obliquely, and then moved down a side passage. Left,left, right... and then found herself in a white painted hallway. She went down it, heart beating, and was near a loading dock and a door. She opened it and walked down the metal steps, cheap sandals slapping them, and passed two middle aged men smoking, who looked up alertly as the stood near a couple of dollies for carting goods, and then nodded to her pleasantly, one of them muttering, "Love to see you come, love to see you go," as she moved, her bare rear cheeks fetchingly swaying and jiggling as she moved. She had a shoulder bag.

"Off for tonight, honey? What's your name?" called one of them.

"I'm Abishag, just started in the laundry room, what's yours Father?" she asked saucily over her shoulder.

"Father!" the other one doubled over with laughter, and she walked out the service gate with a smile.

A mild rain had begun; she took a deep breath inhaling the smell of the wet streets and the smell of engines and wafting tobacco, and walked away down the service access street and into the city.
Last edited by New Edom on Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cacerta
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Cacerta » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:25 pm

HMS Isara Trento (BB-EE-007), 3rd Amphibious Strike Fleet
Departing Harbourtown, Allied States of New Edom

Jessica would probably be the first to admit how glad she was about leaving Harbourtown. After the news of the foundation of the Theocratic Republic and the subsequent knowledge that Harbourtown was an End Times Church stronghold, the Rear Admiral was quick to grow very uncomfortable about where they were. Sure, she had known the city was primarily ETC when they had first arrived, but they had shared a somewhat common goal then -- securing Mara's authority as the New Edomite Head of State. But now, however, the reconciliation between the two Monarchist factions had caused a new split. One that made it very clear they weren't in friendly territory anymore.

It was also a gigantic relief when the Grand Admiral informed them that they would be meeting up with both Hanna and Aurora, commanders she trusted with her life. There was also some talk about rendezvousing with another New Edomite Task Force -- which would be wonderful as long as they were not ETC.

The Rear Admiral had spent the occasion of departing Tyrannis with a small cup of her special mead that she kept locked away in her Quarters instead of indulging in her regular tea. She needed something both sweet and alcoholic to smooth over the edges and had unbuttoned the top of her NCU to allow the cool air against her bare skin. Jessica was normally not one to do so, but the stress of it all had made her feel like she was in a sauna.
To: Captain Arabella Ephraim

On behalf of the servicemen and women of the 3rd Amphibious Strike Fleet, I wanted to thank you for your hospitality in accommodating our stay.

On a more personal note, it was a pleasure to meet you -- though I had wish it would have been on better circumstances. If ever you find yourself in Cacerta, the Trento family would be more than willing to accommodate you in return.

May the Wise Wolf Protect!
Rear Admiral Jessica Trento

Skies near Harbourtown,
Outside Harbourtown, Allied States of New Edom

It had all be exactly what Emilia had talked about with the Edomite pilots in Tyrannis. There was all of this built up tension over a possible constitutional conflict and now everything was different. The 3rd Amphibious Strike Fleet had finished it's preparations from a departure from the Naval Air Station and would rendezvous with Captain Dorian and Rear Admiral Davion who were still holding somewhere near thirteen and a half nautical miles from the New Edomite coast.

The Cacertian attack helicopter pilot knew something was amiss, though.

While their main mission had been apparently completed and they were technically no longer in hostile territory, Colonel Lutazzi and Rear Admiral Trento had ordered for continued reconnaissence. Some rumors floated around about how one crisis had resulted in another and questions were raised about whether or not it was safe for them to continue to remain in Harbourtown. When she had briefly talked with the Colonel before her current patrol, Luciana had told her: We're not quite out of the rabbit hole yet.

From her position in the skies orbiting around the fleet, she could sill see Harbourtown in the distance in one direction and the specks of the Cacertian fleet in the other. She wondered quietly to herself about the trio of pilots she had met and thought about what the Colonel had said to her. If it was true that they were still in some form of danger, did that mean she might end up having to fight the friends she had made? It would be a terrible reality for her to see their missiles flying at her. Even worse, her own missiles flying at them.

In any case there was considerable hope that anyone -- the possible hostiles being End Times Church members -- that wanted to pick a fight, would be deterred by the size of the Cacertian force offshore. Combined with the 1st Carrier Strike Fleet and the 5th Battleship Strike Fleet, the Cacertians forces would be an extremely formidable naval force.

Emilia took another look back at Harbourtown and Tyrannis from her current position, before turning the tail of her aircraft back towards home.
Il Regno Di Cacerta
Ufficio della Grande Ammiraglia

To: Prince Elijah Shalmaneser
From: Elettra Doria, Grand Admiral of the Kingdom of Cacerta
Subject: RE: Cacertian Deployment
Encryption: Extremely High
Most Respected Admiral,

Consider it done, Vice Admiral. Our forces will rally at a point approximately 13.5 nautical miles from Harbourtown where they will remain on standby.

Regards,
Elettra Doria
Grand Admiral of the Kingdom Cacerta

Novitera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:28 pm

Avantine, State of Soletrek, Novitera

The report from the FIS came in the day after the events at Salcah. Leaders of the FIS, Trask Administration and FDP were alarmed by the intensity of the fighting. Details were vague but it was known that at least one Regency C-130 was shot down by Theocratic Republic forces. Everyone shared in their mutual dislike of the situation and were worried about the rapidly deteriorating peace. They knew that a CPO mission was underway. Parker surmised that waiting for the go ahead to launch their forces would be too late. He had been in close contact with Barry Zhao, the Executor of Defense about the preparations along with Merril Daiki, Chief of the Southern Acheron Division over at the FIS. Her assessment confirmed Parker's own estimations. Their ground forces were hardly ready to move but the 1st Fleet, or Revolution Carrier Group was always at the ready. The ships were getting done refueling at Toshabia Naval Base just south of Heselory right now.

There was a brief conference call with Trask, Zhao, Parker Gladwin, and General Akkilien over at FASC. Akkilien gave his assurances that the 2nd Fleet and Air Force was ready to compensate for the departure of the Revolution.

"General, are sure the rest of our military is able to compensate?" Zhao asked. Trask had left the room, leaving it up to his Executor of Defense to make the final decision.

"Yes. The 2nd Fleet will be leaving port in two days from Jolevier Naval Base. We certainly won't be at full strength. I have arranged for extra air patrols...." He was cut off.

"Very well. Save me the minutia. Is Nakano ready to go?" Zhao asked.

"He is." Akkilien replied right away.

Toshabia Naval Base, State of Calirma, Novitera

Outside the base, there were suburbs where some of the personnel lived. Mostly officers and personnel with families. A housing developer had built the neighborhoods of tightly packed two story homes. Those who were eligible to live off base and wanted to had a significant portion of the cost of buying a house paid for by the Navy. That was provided that the service would receive proportional proceeds from the sale of the home in the end. On one such block the lights were on and the shouting inside was keeping the neighbors awake on this eve. None dared to chastise the dwellers for the nuisance due to who owned the house.

"I do nothing?! I DO NOTHING?!" Yelled an enraged Rear Admiral Kip Nakano. His phone was ringing on the dinning room table but he could not hear it over his own voice.

His pretty wife Jessie had better years but still easy on the eyes nevertheless. She was a calculus teacher at the local high school and favorite of the pre-adolescent sons of Naval personnel. "We both work Kip. We both need to chip in around the house! Yet you come home everyday, plop your ass down on the couch to drink beer and watch football!"

"First, I have one beer a night. Second, it was the fucking playoffs. The Roses went to the Western Bowl. My team! Give me a break woman! And I do nothing?! Who pays for the kid's private school?! Who pays for your pilates classes?! Who pays for your days at the salon?! It sure as hell doesn't come from your salary!" Nakano yelled.

His twelve year old daughter came running down the stairs. "Daddy, stop yelling!" She said.

"It's ok baby! Mommy and I are just having a talk. Daddy loves you. Go back upstairs and remember only Daddy can use bad words." Nakano said sweetly to his daughter. She pouted and ran back up. He turned back to his wife. "Third, you know the fleet could be moving out at any day now. Do you have any idea how much pressure and work that puts on me."

"Oh! The great Captain Nakano is too busy saving the world for his family." His wife said and threw up her hands.

"For the last fucking time...I'm an Admiral. There's more responsibility. I've been one for five...."

"I DON'T CARE! You know your daughter had a recital today. She's a very talented piano player but you wouldn't know." Shouted Jessie. The phone rang for the 3rd time.

"I would know! I got the recordings of her playing on my phone. I ALSO PAY FOR THE GODDAMN LESSONS!" Kip shouted.

"Well, if you didn't spend so much of our money on your stupid football cards..."

"They're not stupid they're collectors items and they're for Finn, our son." He interrupted.

"Just because you played in college and couldn't cut it in the pros doesn't mean you have to spend all our money on memorabilia." Jessie touched a nerve there. Nakano was especially sensitive about his previous football career many long years ago.

"Oh yeah!? OH YEAH!? I lied! Your ass does look fat in those pants!" Nakano retorted spitefully then quickly realized he had went too far by looking at his wife's red cheeks and eyes burning with rage. He approached her. "I'm sorry honey, you know I'm just kidding..."

"NO! I WANT A DIVORCE!" She yelled and pushed him away.

Before Nakano could chase her up the stairs there was a loud banging on his front door. Rubbing his forehead, he groaned then went over to answer it. Standing there was his aide, Petty Officer Ashley Silva.

"Sir!" She said then handed him a letter.

Nakano glanced over it briefly. "Shit!" He exclaimed at the deployment orders from central command. "Tell Akkilien and Zhao the Fleet will depart at 0900 tomorrow. Send out orders to the rest of the Fleet too. I'll be at the base at 0700. Have the chopper ready to take me out to the Revolution." He said and handed back the letter. Before Ashley could give a "Yes sir!" Nakano had already closed the door on her.
Last edited by Novitera on Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

Roman Barebones Legion

Postby Late Roman Empire » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:29 pm

Marcus Remus Helenus, Prefect of Legio IV, also known as the famous "Barebones Legion" didn't have time to waste, having received his orders from Romain to advance on St. Joseph and take up a position there while waiting for the Rover Team.

"Nevertheless, we also dispatch patrols to recon all along the way. I don't want any motherfucking surprises from these cunni, do you understand?" Remus instructed his various tribunes and centurions, especially the primus pilus and pilus prior centurions.

"Certainly, Prefect!" several of them replied, gulping a bit.

The new Prefect made many of them a little nervous, but then perhaps that was a good thing. Remus wasn't the sort to pussyfoot around, and he didn't waste time getting his troops in the direction of St. Joseph at the fastest pace practicable. He also didn't travel in luxury like a potentate, nor any kind of relative comfort. Everything was very Spartan and austere in style, very utilitarian, even.

"Plenty of rations, I gather?" he demanded from the Quartermaster.

"Certainly, Prefect! Everything is just as you specified, sir," the Quartermaster assured him.

"Make sure the men are fed well enough, but not too well. Can't have them sluggish. Vitamins and water, too. Keep them healthy and fit for the march, even if most of it is in IFVs and APCs these days. Have them ready and pumped to fight, of course," the Prefect insisted.

"Get our EW teams ready for the first signs that we need to jam the rebels. By God, sir, we'll break them! Shame to have to fight Benajah and Carmel, though. The only two of that lot that I can respect. General Benajah's got a fucking medal from the Augustus, for God's sake! Still, he's a rebel, and he has to go down. Damn shame!" Remus cursed as he gave his orders.

We will break them.....we will break them....we will break them!

Such was the resolve in the back of Remus's mind. Whatever it took, the ETC would be broken and order would be restored, unless they came to their senses....if only they would. Then he wouldn't have to destroy them.

Novitera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:45 pm

To: Prince Elijah Shalmaneser; Sarah Carmel; Livia Barberina
Subject: Peacekeeping Forces

Due to our government's awareness of the rapid deterioration of peace in New Edom, I have been ordered by my superiors to depart with the United Federation Navy's 1st Fleet. We will be leaving port at Toshabia Naval Base at 0900 hours (approximately two hours from now). This is in anticipation of the upcoming CPO mission that my government, along with many others, are working towards. I communicate with you now to declare my intentions to bring the 1st Fleet closer to Edomite shores but well outside your nation's exclusive economic zone in international waters. Until such time a CPO mission is declared, the 1st Fleet will remain a noncombatant force and aside from purely defensive purposes, will refrain from all military action on any party's behalf. All requests for assistance before a declaration of a CPO mission shall be denied unless the purpose of said assistance is for the humanitarian benefit of civilians. Be advised, this is not a promise to act if any such requests are made. The end intention of my command is to serve as a neutral peacekeeping force under the direction of the CPO. If you have any questions or concerns please contact me immediately or our government's defense executor, Barry Zhao.

Regards,
Rear Admiral Kip Nakano
Commander of the UFN 1st Fleet
Last edited by Novitera on Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents