NATION

PASSWORD

The Season Turns (Telegram for Entry please)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

The Season Turns (Telegram for Entry please)

Postby New Edom » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:49 pm

OOC Note: All Regionmates and allies listed in my factbook are welcome automatically.
OOC Thread
IC:
THE FINEBERG TIMES

Feb 18 2015

Hundreds Dead, Government Gutted in Stadium Collapse

Destruction of Fineberg Olympic Stadium

By Annabelle Barca

FINEBERG, New Edom— People across the nation are horrified by the disasterous collapse of Fineberg Olympic Stadium, as hundreds are dead or injured. Among the dead are all members of the cabinet of the Interim Government, including President of the Council General Perrin Pahath-Moab.

In a rare appearance of all members of the government for the finals of the National Football Cup, a number of areas of the stands collapsed. It is believed that many of those who died did not suffer due to massive trauma inflicted and subsequent shock and death. The President of the Council, Minister of Foreign Affairs Levi Dathan, Minister of Police General Sidney Harcourt and Minister of Culture Solomon Cain were found all nearby one another having apparently died instantly.

Investigation by the Ministry of Justice and Council Police has stated that this was due to a critical fault in the building's structure and was not due to a terrorist attack. "If it was," General John Ashdod of the Council Police said, "Then it was a pretty subtle one." However thus far no terrorist or other organizations have come forward claiming an attack.

Stunned people have already been gathering in prayer. Fear for a future without the unification offered by the Interim Government holds a shroud over the people.

The Heir, Crown Princess Jocasta, has released a public statement.

On behalf of my sister, the Queen, I am deeply grieved and am myself very saddened by this horrific event. Our prayers go to the families of all the bereaved and for the recovery of the injured. I have asked that our religious leaders pray for our emergency services that they might recover as many people lost in the rubble as they can and be safe themselves, and that we all pray together for continued peace in our country. I have every faith that the New Edomite people will endure. May God defend the right."

The question of government succession, of national unity, and of whether Queen Mara will return to active role in government after her recent illness remain.

General Perrin Pahath-Moab fought in the nation's civil wars and unified the country, ending conflict between Monarchist and Free Congress, establishing peace, greater prosperity for the nation as well as for the Region of Cornellia as a whole. As the Chair and Director of Peacekeeping for the Cornellian Peacekeeping Organization, he was one of the principal authors of a regional movement towards mediation in conflict. He had begun a process of investigating means of establishing democracy in the country through a series of test elections, claiming he had no intention fo establishing a dictatorship. He is mourned by two sisters, a brother, and their families as well as by his own wife, Princess Blanca of Free Garza, who is with child by him. People wept as his dog, life long companion Rover, an Airedale terrier, was also pulled from the wreckage. According to the General's will, the faithful canine will be buried with him.

Padan-Aran

A curious hush lay over the Royal Estate. The Cavalry Guards' usual equestrian and parade exercises were canceled, in fact they were all being called (except those on sentry or emergency watch duty) to full parade formation--in rural battledress kit no less.

Lieutenant Count Domris was astonished. Apart from during target practice and occasional field exercises, he couldn''t remember the last time he had had to carry an assault rifle, he didn't even remember the serial number, but he received it, and watched as his platoon sergeant got his unit to fall in and pretended to inspect them. He wasn't even sure what he was looking for; for the past several months he had largely been looking to make sure people didn't return rain wet swords to their scabbards (it caused rust in the scabbard) or walked their mounts properly. He had avoided reading the M20 Hamsher manual because it was boring and there were mechanics and drivers for that. And now what?

Mr. Zoar spoke sternly to the minimal palace staff. "You will continue to carry out your duties as devoted servants of the Monarch. The news of outside does not concern us save where we are instructed so. Our families are cared for and safely here in Padan. There is nothing to worry about. I want no gossip. Substitute prayer for gossip. Now, I wish to address the subject of the inappropriate table linen with last night's meal..."

Deliveries of food, potables, laundry and other services continued, incuding the bubble pack of Mara's new meds, which were inspected by Father Emmaeus and proscribed as instructed.

Queen Mara allowed herself to be given them, and then got back onto her bed, turned to face the wall and closed her eyes, curling her knees up to her chest, hugging Precious to her.

On behalf of my sister, the Queen, I am deeply grieved and am myself very saddened by this horrific event. Our prayers go to the families of all the bereaved and for the recovery of the injured. I have asked that our religious leaders pray for our emergency services that they might recover as many people lost in the rubble as they can and be safe themselves, and that we all pray together for continued peace in our country. I have every faith that the New Edomite people will endure. May God defend the right."

Jocasta looked around the room. "How was that?"

"That was wonderful, Highness--er good under the tragic circumstances," said Canopus Fade, who was directing, with a bow. "And we managed to actually cut the film that time before you spoke out of script."

He received a warning glare from Dr. Aphek, Countess Jabbok, and Colonel Josephus, and quailed. "But beautifully delivered."

Jocasta sighed. "So tragic...and now I must hold meetings to determine who shall be the next President of the Council. How does that work anyway? Prince Enoch, do you know?"

Enoch looked as though he'd been startled awake; the whole time of the planning of the public address, he had been on his phone off and on, texting, making quiet calls. He seemed very agitated. "I...you know the difficulty, Jocasta, is that no one really knows. The constitution, such as it is, is vague upon that point.."

Jocasta pondered. "My sister is non compos mentis. There is no President of the Council, no Interim Cabinet--who else is there?"

"There are I think some deputy ministers left," said Colonel Josephus briskly. Before Enoch could say anything, he said, "Shall I find out and summon them here, Your Royal Highness?"

Jocasta beamed. What a good fellow he was, his eyes dropping respectfully as usual. "Yes. If I am to run the country properly I must be properly advised and served. Do so at once."

"Properly speaking I should do it," said Enoch.

Jocasta looked at him kindly. "You are hobbled by grief. I want you to go and comfort my sister, and tell me what her condition is. For now, Colonel Josephus will undertake yoru duties as Master of Offices on my own behalf--I would not dream of replacing you--and mother, King Michael, Countess Jabbok and Dr. Aphek will advise me--as they have always loyally done."

Enoch looked at her blankly a long moment, and then bowed. "Your Highness." he said, clicking his heels, and departed so quickly Jocasta was still opening her mouth to say something else. She felt relieved, at last he was gone.

Jocasta was struck by a sudden thought. "I wonder if we should postpone the ball--someone find out by how much, we do not wish to act inappropriately." She stood up and went to thank the film crew, who had been trying to be invisible while she was sending Enoch away. "Mr. Fade, I hope you and your crew will stay close to hand. I may need more public addresses."

"Will that be some kind of contract?" Canopus Fade asked hopefully.

"You may speak to my staff about that," Jocasta replied kindly. "Dismissed for now. I have many affairs of state to concern myself with."
Last edited by New Edom on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:40 pm

"The Griffin's Final Flight"
Padan-Aran

Michael sat stunned on the couch, staring the wall. He was sweating profusely, shaking a bit even. Despite the fact that he feared Perrin, he respected him...trusted him even. As long as Perrin was around, Michael felt a sense of security in his place in New Edom.

Now that was gone.

A stadium collapse...a fault in its structure...all of them dead. Dathan, Harcourt, Cain...gone. All gone.

He didn't know what to do with himself, other than sit there stunned, in shock and sorrow.

"On behalf of my sister, the Queen, I am deeply grieved and am myself very saddened by this horrific event. Our prayers go to the families of all the bereaved and for the recovery of the injured. I have asked that our religious leaders pray for our emergency services that they might recover as many people lost in the rubble as they can and be safe themselves, and that we all pray together for continued peace in our country. I have every faith that the New Edomite people will endure. May God defend the right."

Jocasta looked around the room. "How was that?"

Others commented on what they thought, and then Michael managed to choke out his own reaction. "...Very well said, Your Highness."

Jocasta sighed. "So tragic...and now I must hold meetings to determine who shall be the next President of the Council. How does that work anyway? Prince Enoch, do you know?"

While the insuring conversation went on, Michael got a piece of pen and paper and began to write a poem...one that he felt would do the late President proper justice, and perhaps serve as a morale boost in these days of uncertainty.

Towards the end of that, Jocasta said something that concerned Michael. "I wonder if we should postpone the ball--someone find out by how much, we do not wish to act inappropriately." Mr. Fade, I hope you and your crew will stay close to hand. I may need more public addresses."[/i]

"For now, Your Highness, that may be advisable. Just for a bit, until we get this sorted out." Michael suggested.

Jocasta spoke kindly. "Dismissed for now. I have many affairs of state to concern myself with."

"Your Highness, and Canopus Fade...if I may be so bold...I have a poem I would like to read for the nation." Michael added. "May I?" Michael showed Fade what he came up with.

Jocasta said, “Dear Michael, always ready to hand with the right thing to say...yes of course…” she said, preparing to weep at whatever it was he had to say. Fade could only bow and touch his heart and listen.

Michael smiled. “Thank you, your Majesty.” With that, he took a deep breath and prepared to read what he had written in front of the film crew.

"Hello people of New Edom,

The King Consort would like to share a few words. Words cannot describe my sense of sorrow at the latest event that took the lives of New Edom's government leaders. My thoughts and prayers are with those affected by this tragedy. But as much as we mourn the fallen, we should also remember what they lived for, and work to carry on their legacy. In light of that, I have a poem I would like to share with you.

The Griffin’s Final Flight

Tragedy has struck,
A hero has passed.

A man whose deeds,
Remain without a rival.

Inspiration,
He shall forever act as.

Dedication,
He immortally exemplified.

Humility,
Call him a paragon of it,
But he would have denied it.

Determination,
In the face of danger,
Not once, not twice,
Not even thrice,
But more than can be counted.

A hero has passed,
One of strong will,
And yet of a gentle spirit,
An arm always extended to help.

A Griffin's majesty,
A lion's courage,
A fox's cunning,
All with a hound's loyalty,

His passing,
It is a tragedy.

But, let us not mourn him.
Let us not feel sad.
Let us celebrate him.
Celebrate what he accomplished.
Celebrate his character.
Celebrate how he captured
The spirit of a nation.
Forever.

Let us take his passing,
As a reason,
As a responsibility,
As a duty,
To celebrate him,
To remember him,
To memorialize him,
By doing as he did,
And accepting duty's call,
Exploring the possibilities,
Probing the depths of Peace,
That final frontier.
That near-infinite open range.

The Griffin has taken his final flight.
Ever may he soar.

Goodbye, Perrin, and Rest in Peace.
God knows you earned it.

In memory of Perrin Pahath-Moab"

Jocasta, Camilla, Countess Jabbok, and Dr.. Aphek were all obviously moved--in fact it seemed the moment Jocasta put her tissue to her eyes they all began to weep quietly. “It is as though you drew him to life again--as a phantom, but for a moment, he walked among us through your words,” sighed Jocasta.

“Very moving, sir,” said Fade, “Though If I might venture--Griffons are flightless birds”

“Than you.” Michael said, misty eyed. “But can anyone deny that Perrin was not a Griffon that soared?

“No one can,” exclaimed Jocasta. “How well put! Yes, there is no better title.”

“As you say, Highness,” said Fade. “Then let’s get you set up, sir, we’ll need some makeup, check the lighting…”

“Very well. Do as you must.” Michael said softly. “It is much appreciated.”

After it was all said and done, Michael walked away, walking into his own uncertainty with tears in his eyes. For The Griffin's Final Flight came to pass.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:15 am

Fineberg, New Edom

A crowd of officials--some naked and painted but also smeared with dirt from the rubble they had smeared on their bodies, some in uniform, some in clerical robes, stood with twitchy hard eyed troops in urban camouflage nearby.

General Martin Benajah, the avuncular, mild looking Chief of the General Defense Staff, had his head bowed and seemed little moved to speak to anyone of anything. He now and then glanced at people who spoke but seemed stunned and grieving.

Marcus Cotta, Deputy Minister of Culture, young, handsome, curly haired, shook his head as the last ambulances brought the last of the recovered bodies away. He said aloud, "The Region will shake and tremble. And shall we survive the tremors?"

No one answered him; Dr. Amon Ashron, the little sparrow like Director of the Office of Inter-City Planning wept unashamed for his former ministerial leader, Dr. Elizabeth Salt, one of the founders of the nation's humanitarian NGO, the National Council for Refugees. All her compassion stilled.

Colleen Fish, the skinny, bespectacled Undersecretary of Defense, solemnly rose, smearing dirt on her face, smudging her blue and white makeup, and said only, "I received a message--a summons from a Colonel Josephus, claiming to be the Heir's ADC. Who the devil is he?"

"That is what he is," said Bishop Zecharias, feline faced Chief Justice of New Edom, shaking his head solemnly. "Was it done in the name of the Heir?"

"Where is the Prophet?" demanded Fish, her eyes staring coldly into his.

"We..." Bishop Zecharias pursed his lips. "He has gone to Hillel."

Fish turned her glare on General John Ashdod, Deputy for Operations in the Ministry of Police. "And you just let him go?"

"I let him?" Ashdod demanded hotly. "He is the Prophet of the End Times Church, and he was doing nothing wrong, and I had more important things to focus on."

"Do you want them to raise militias again?" said Fish.

"What is this meeting about anyway? I received a summons...it really does read like a summons...too..." said Elizabeth Corbulo, Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs. "And really, we should leave now, we've done our due dilligence, we are all that is left of government."

"Agreed. We must decide on succession," said Paul Gath. "Seniority might be best..."

Colleen Fish, still steaming at the veiled disdain for the Edenists and the ETC, said, "Seniority, I agree. That is simplest. As for this meeting...I suggest we reschedule it. I will do so. General Benajah, we all share your grief, but you, General Ashdod and...whoever is left from the Ministry of Justice must make sure the capital is secure, things could get out of hand."

"The Region will shake..." Marcus Cotta said. They all began to wander away. It occurred to Cotta when he was back in his car that they had come to no decision.

Many businesses closed shop for the day in mourning; many people flocked to churches or prayed in the streets. And people whispered about the Prophet's departure, and many petitions were sent to Archbishop Laudner and Dr. Ballard, begging for answers to what should be done.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:28 am

The Kalko's Cry
The First Independent News Source of the Shrailleeni Empire

February, 1291 (2015)
International News

Disaster in New Edom
Stadium Collapse Kills Hundreds, President Perrin Pahath-Moab Announced Dead

Fineberg, New Edom - Millions across New Edom, the region, and the Shrailleeni Empire mourn in shock and horror in the wake of the sudden, tragic collapse of the Fineberg Olympic Stadium. It is estimated that hundreds are dead or injured in the wake of the catastrophe, including President Perrin Pahath-Moab, Minister of Foreign Affairs Levi Dathan, Minister of Police Sidney Harcourt, and Minister of Culture Solomon Cain.

The collapse of the stadium has been attributed to "a critical fault in the building's structure," alleviating fears of terrorist or insurgent activity in a nation still recovering from years of war. This fact has brought little solace to the families of the dead or injured, nor lessened the impact caused by the departure of the nation's top leadership. The accident has cast a dark shadow over New Edom, its future, and its place in international politics, with few answers readily available.

Her Enlightened Majesty, the Mother Empress Chella Resyanna fe Shrailleen, made an impromptu statement to the regional press immediately following word of the attack. Still in shock and without any attempt to conceal her empathetic grief, the Mother Empress offered her condolences to the New Edomite people and the continued prayers and support of Shrailleen to the traumatized nation.

"By the Goddess, who loves without condition, my heart weeps for the people of New Edom. I pray for the families of the victims, for the loved ones who have entered the bliss of the life after and for those who may yet be saved. I mourn the passing of each soul, though I know that they shall be Embraced in love for eternity. And I grieve for the passing of the honorable President Perrin Pahath-Moab, whose death is a blow not only to his loving family, but to all New Edomites who were like family to him, and to those of us fortunate enough to have known him.

Though I do not know what the future may bring, I swear by the oath of honor given on behalf of the Shrailleeni people that we shall stand by our allies, our friends, our Sisters and Brothers in their time of need. The Empire of Shrailleen shall lend its strength to New Edom where it is needed, and we shall honor the ideals espoused by the Interim Government to ensure the continued peace and unity of the Allied States. May the Mother Goddess watch over us, and lend Her Light to the darkness which has befallen us."

The news of the collapse has been met with mixed reactions by the people of the Shrailleeni Empire. Empire-wide prayer and mourning services have been announced and gathered by the faithful in a show of solidarity for the New Edomite people, but certain sects have voiced that the tragedy may have been caused by certain New Edomite policies which run counter to the Enlightened Way. Radical groups still operating in areas across the islands have hailed the disaster as retribution for New Edom's support of the Imperial government against the Republican uprisings, which was fundamental to restoring order to Southern Fromathra.

Other Shrailleeni leaders, notably Matriarch Aryni Resyanna fe Shrailleeni and Foreign Minister Zattem Resbruck, have echoed the condolences of the Mother Empress as the Imperial government prepares to face the consequences of this abrupt change in its strongest ally's government.

Shrailleeni Embassy
Fineberg, New Edom

By the Goddess, not again...

The thought echoed and resounded in Katara's head over and over, the dull response to the tragic news brought before her. She had been ambassador to New Edom for a long time, had seen governments rise and fall. And now by some cruel joke she was to see it once again. She could picture is already, the war and strife, the death. It haunted her like the shadows of the Unembraced, the fear that came from hard-learned experience. She remembered the naivety that she had harbored upon her first arrival, the expectation that this strong and honorable nation would be the Empire's salvation. How quickly she had learned the error of her ways.

The Shrailleeni government was in turmoil in the wake of the disaster. The expectation had always been that Perrin Pahath-Moab could be relied upon to stabilize New Edom, and that any threat to him could be neutralized by New Edom or Shrailleen or any other of New Edom's allies. The event of his sudden death had been considered, but no one had counted on a disaster of this scale. The Council of Ministers would be in disarray, the Foreign Minister dead, the line of succession completely uncertain. The very integrity of the Constitution was at risk, and with it the tenuous peace that Perrin's ascendency had achieved.

Katara grasped all of this as few other Shrailleeni could. It was her job to oversee the oldest and most important alliance that the Empire had, an alliance which had recently proven to be an effective counter to Shrailleen's problematic alliance with Deadora. She was the expert, and it was to her that the Mother Empress turned to for answers. Answers that she did not have.

She knew that it was time for action. The Mother Empress and the Royal Court would make their statements, but in the meantime she had to put her finger on the pulse of New Edom to learn where it was heading. With Perrin and several powerful members of the Council dead, the remaining members would be pressed to maintain the peace. She had no idea who the new leader of New Edom would be, but she knew that it was unlikely to be a simple process. There was also the matter of the New Edomite monarchy to consider. The Empire had a complicated relationship with the New Edomite royals, but it was one that Katara had spent a great deal of time attempting to fix. Any attempt to move forward would almost certainly bring them into play as well. Finally, there was the End Times Church and its problematic Prophet. There she had few connections, the Empire distanced itself from the ETC and its message, but they could not be ignored in the wake of this disaster.

Katara shed the numbness around her like a layers of silk cloth, moving as if freeing herself from a haze. The Embassy buzzed with activity as shocked diplomatic staff made their calls, contacting the Foreign Ministry, tapping connections to the remaining Council members, and attempting to contact the staff of the New Edomite royal family. Everything was tried as the Empire strived to alleviate its uncertainty.

Not again, Katara worried, Goddess, please not again...
أدرس اللغة العربية وهي لغة جميلة
Mother of One, Mother of All
Ask Me Anything IC
Come to the Mother's Embrace
New Edom wrote:Elizabeth Salt remarked, "It's amazing, isn't it, you rarely see modern troops that wear their 19th century uniforms and gear so well--they must drill all the time. Is this a guards outfit?"

Sif said to her, "This is a modern Shrailleeni Empire military parade. Like as in this is what they wear, this is what they use. This is it."

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Valerian Augustus Personally Offers Condolences

Postby Late Roman Empire » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:59 am

Chalcedon Gazette,
Manlius Constantius

The Emperor Valerian has personally offered his condolences by telephone to the Heir to the Throne, Crown Princess Jocasta, who is currently exercising powers on behalf of her sister, Queen Mara I, who is on holiday. The Augustus is reported to have signed the guest book in the Edomite Embassy in Constantinople in honor of the late President Perrin Pahath-Moab and the many other victims, great and small, of the collapse of the National Olympic Stadium in Fineberg. Signing with him were the Caesar Titus Clemens, the Augusta, the Countess Livia Marcella, and the Master of Offices, Count Statius Gallienus.

The Augustus also released the following statement:

We have no adequate words for our empathy, grief, and commiseration in the sorrow of this tragedy in our allied nation, the Allied States of New Edom. Basic decency and humanity alone compel us to reach out to them with support and assistance, and accordingly, additional relief is to be provided for the suffering victims of Fineberg, but we must further assure the new government, whichever form it takes, of our fellowship and partnership. They are friends and allies of the Late Roman Empire. They deserve and need our hand of brotherhood and good faith. To you, suffering Queen and People of New Edom, we extend our deepest condolences and sympathy, and we assure you of our continued desire to befriend you. We have instructed that the flags above every public building be lowered to half-mast for thirty days. Their sorrow is our sorrow, their grief our grief. We are with you in this hour of need. You do not stand alone. God and His Saints protect and preserve you. As Christian brethren, we stand together.

Brigadier-General Perrin Pahath-Moab was also posthumously made an honorary citizen of Rome and a Count of the Empire, a signal honor for a foreign head of government. A statue of Perrin Pahath-Moab has been commissioned to present the Queen of New Edom as soon as it is practical as well, cast in bronze and life-size. It is clear that the Edomite support for the Empire more than two years ago when the late Decentius perished has been answered by the efforts of the Empire to honor Perrin. A funeral mass for Perrin has also been held in the Basilica of St. Calenus, the newest basilica in Constantinople.

The actual call had been nerve-wracking, in fact, as the Emperor wasn't sure who, if anyone, would answer the phones at this time, but they needed to answer this call, by God! Valerian had some differences with Perrin, but by and large, they were allies and friends, and he had just patched things up with the man, not long before his abrupt end.

Whatever the outcome of the call, the Roman Emperor also found this a good time to reach out again to those who mattered to him, both in his government and family, and to reorganize things a bit. He had seen here what could happen if a regime were decapitated at once, and he had an immediate sense of what needed to be done to prevent similar crises....Perrin had delegated better than Valerian, who tended to micromanage out of his own sense of responsibility for everything, but now, it was clear that it was too much for him to handle at once.....and now, everyone who had helped Perrin at a high level was dead, too.. Someone would need to attend Perrin's funeral, for instance. Who best to do that? Valerian might, but might not, given that he had just been away from Constantinople so much of late. If he did go, he would have a valid excuse, but how much could an Emperor spend time away from his capital before there were murmurings, anyway....look at what happened with Asinius, after all....

The Augustus summoned his Consistory to a special convocation, flanked by guards, of course....not just vigiles, in this case. Domestici, Scholarians.....there were guards on top of guards, or so it seemed. Highest possible security, in the council chambers of the full Consistory, as the Augustus took his seat and announced some rather interesting developments.

"As from this day, there shall be a clear line of succession to the Principate. As the Master of Offices, Statius Gallienus, has bowed out, it shall be as follows. Myself, of course, followed by the Caesar, Titus Clemens, followed in turn by the most noble Servius Ahenobarbus, who shall now serve as praetorian prefect of the Prefecture of Constantinople. Following him shall be Lucius Silvanus, Legate to Wielkilas, who is hereby appointed Grand Imperial State Secretary and as such, head of the secretariat. Replacements for each of these shall be forthcoming, of course. The new Count of the Sacred Largesse is a man who you may recall....Junius Ausonius, as is the Count of the Privy Purse, Count Marcellinus. The Grand Chamberlain Laurentius shall be replaced by the new Grand Chamberlain Oribasius. The Master of Soldiers, however, shall still be Rufinus Arcadius. These are men who have proven able in serving me of late, and they are the men whom I have learned to trust most of all. Some are noble, some common, but all shall be respected and honored for their loyalty and ability.

"On another note, Decidius Plancus, incidentally, will now serve as Legate to Deadora, not just Special Trade Liaison. Do not weep for Laurentius, however, as he shall be the new Legate to Wielkilas. I am appointing Valeria, my sister, Legate to Gaemar, as well. The new chief of the vigiles is the man who salvaged things in Everton with the whole Willow mess. Donatus Severianus, of course. Regrettably, his will be a hard task, to purge and remove from the ranks of the vigiles all who are disloyal to me. As you know, Numerius Calixtus has been stripped of his citizenship and now rots in an Alizerian prison where he belongs. He will never rape another woman again. These men and women are the ones who I can trust. I will reward them.

"Also, unfortunately, I have had to remove permanently from office one Gaudentia Ovida, while I have put in her place Mardonius the eunuch and replaced Mardonius with Fulvius Balbo. Why? Because Gaudentia now has a conflict of interest and loyalties, due to her lingering affair with the Emperor of Ghant and her maternity. She has graciously accepted the pension that I have offered her as well. Claudius Proculus is now Legate to Ghant, in place of Marius Caecilius, who shall be the new Legate to Shalum. I also wish to announce something else....I have a son and his name is Marcus Haro! He is now a Roman citizen and a Count of the Empire. If you have an issue with this, now is the name to speak up.

"Also, if the following people will stand up, please.....Iulus Trebatius, Gnaeus Mallius Geminianus, Hostus Duccius Camillus, Publius Numerius Auxentius, Aelius Fulcinius, Titus Considius Laevinus, and Numeria Scaevola."

They all rose, expecting some manner of honor, or at least hoping that was what he meant....instead, the domestici seized each of them.

"These people are all now under arrest. They are charged with maiestas....treason. Their positions on the Sacred Consistory are hereby revoked and they are removed from any offices that they possess. Also, Trebatius, you are, of course, relieved of your command as Prefect of the Scholarian Guard. That position now goes to Spurius Aedinius Vocula, your deputy."

"This session is now adjourned. You are dismissed for now, but soon new members of the Consistory will be appointed to fill the vacancies. That is all. Farewell. Oh, and if you value your position with this government, my government, you will attend the funeral mass for Perrin Pahath-Moab, my loyal friend and ally."

At that, the Emperor walked out the door, returning to his other duties......military ones. With Rufinus Arcadius, Master of Soldiers, in tow.....

In a secret war room, minutes later....

"What are our forces in New Edom and nearby?" Valerian asked.

"One legion now in New Edom, recently returned from Damoclea. It was headed home, Augustus. But now...," Arcadius continued.

"Delay that, Count. Send the First Fleet ASAP. Detach it to support and safeguard the legion, ostensibly for removal. This is the Barebones, after all. The Fourth Marine Legion. Can't be stranded. Surely, no one can blame us for protecting our own and escorting them home, can they?" Valerian smiled, wanting to also protect Rome's interests where Edom was concerned, but without threatening invasion....

A careful balance indeed...
Last edited by Late Roman Empire on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I swear by Almighty God that I will faithfully serve and obey the Divine Augustus, as our Lord and Master, and hold him alone as my true, dread sovereign and prince. I swear that I will serve him loyally until the hour of my death, on pain of damnation to my eternal soul." - the Imperial Oath of Allegiance (administered to the civil service and armed forces)

Woe to they who demand things of the Lord of the World, for he is neither so obliged nor amused.

Seelelander
Secretary

Founded: May 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seelelander » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:23 am

The Office of Weinstein & Rezanic
Padan-Aran, Bara Province, New Edom

Cree, Cree, Crik!
Cree, Cree, Crik!
Cree, Cree, Crik!

The little green frog watched and waited, the reflection of his body inflating and deflating from his windpipe, waiting for the sound that would never come. The figure appeared to seduce him as a specter seemed to appear from nowhere, promising the prospects a friend, or a foe, or perhaps a mate and companion, but whatever it was, it seemed to promise at least that the engulfing fear of abandonment he had felt when he had been taken from his forest had been temporal, and not a real problem. It had not been as real as he truly felt it that day, as the sun seemed to stare down peeking between the leaves of his personal jungle. It was not hitting the frog as being as real as it truly was. This conceptual realization that he was no longer in the forests did not occur to him, as to him, it appeared the same with the waxy trees and branches, the soft and moist air and layers of understory where he frolicked and played as he looked for bugs to munch upon. The dance of denial continued around him as he called, over and over again. His calls were ignored or merely mocked by the creature he saw in the reflection of the Teacup. The forlorn longing for a mate or companion left him desperately calling to the emptiness alone with nothing but solitude and distress to keep it company. There was no response, not even the faintest whisper as he considered his other options on how to respond to the unknown offender, for the creature he saw would be his only friend, it would be his only companion as he was alone,

He was her only companion as well, giving her solace and refuge from her dark and desolate thoughts. The sweet herbaceous scent of tea and incense perfuming the corridors, the scent that bespoke of a profound sweetness, a cherished memory of home, was not a good enough distraction. Although the taste of the tea was smooth and light with a sweet osmanthus flower scent and the taste of spiced peaches, although it was given a roundness that seemed to fill the tea with a subtle touch of earthiness and tones of resounding colors, it felt like the taste had left behind only warm salt-water and disappointment. The lingering aftertaste of sweet cinnamon and iced ginger had disappeared from the terror and stress that lie within her mind as the flavor passed over her tongue and she felt the warm touch of tea kiss her lips. Her step was like a soft swaying, a dance through wind as she stilted ever so slightly to pull through files, and she rushed deliberately. That which was left behind with the depths of sorrow that were emanating from the palace could not be described in mere words. Even the cheerful chirp of the tiny tree frog, proved to be a forlorn cry into the depths of the profound void left behind by President Perrin. The last hope that the Edomites had for peace and order was gone, like a whisper of wind, the whipping of the threads of fate apart. These torn fates were often capricious and cruel, as there was no visible order, nor was there any fathomable purpose for such a death, nor was there a reason for such a humiliating exit for such a great hero. Instead of sound there was those beads of pearls which kissed her eyelashes, stroked along her cheek, and rolled along her face to spill below into the cup below her, as she attempted to maintain a quiet disposition, so as to not alert anyone of her emotions toward the subject.

There was a dragging step as there was noise approaching, and she struggled to compensate with her senses as she brushed away the pearly beads of tears, and hid her soft purring voice. Those were markers and distinctions which appeared to indicate a fatigue of sorts, a sense of exhaustion that had immediately hit her as the news crushed her expectations and dreams quickly. She was not going to let such a thing be demonstrated however, and she would be strong as she sat waiting for the figure to approach. She looked over and saw the father, an elderly gentleman, portly and grey, with a pessimistic attitude to her profession. Though he was pessimistic, he believed firmly that they had the best at heart for Mara, and in the heart of hearts, he wanted her to get better as well. His struggle to reconcile his powerlessness in the face of the Queen's deepest profound depression. This was the sort of helplessness that the Venerable Father Emmaeus, had never desired, nor experienced before, but he would be strong in his faith as he leaned in and stoically spoke.

“I have just stopped by to inform you,” said Father Emmaeus, who looked gloomy, after knocking on the open door of Amyris Rezanic’s office in the estate clinic, “That Her Majesty is canceling her appointments for this week. I was just informed.” His face looked longer than ever, his eyes pouchier, his lisp drawn downward, his grey and black beard a bit disheveled. He held a blue glazed clay mug of steaming Nalayan coffee, rich and sweet and cinnamon smelling, in his hand. Doctor Amyris Rezanic took a moment as she looked over at the mug, her soft dual toned almond shaped eyes followed the ripples upon the tea made by the frog chirping, the cerulean color of her iris at its edges met at its center to provide a lush green hue made it look like an island amidst pools which reflected the stars of the night sky. The beautifully laced lashes were slightly batting still, as if she had not yet processed what hour it was yet. Her skin was a warm honey brown, with a warm complexion, and her lips were softly curving downward as she attempted to force herself to minimize this expression, leading to a softer sultry pout, less provocative and more demure and ladylike red lips which complimented her sweet green eyes. She closed her eyes for a moment, inhaling the emptiness around her as she felt her eyes opening, looking over at the wizened gentleman before her with those beads gathering despite her great resistance. She had nothing but sympathy for the old fellow, and in this hour of day, he looked only further wizened by his circumstances, and even moreso with the stress she felt such compassion for the old man. Amyris removed several pads of notes which she began to quickly shred, the documents quickly destroyed as she then carefully made note the record numbers and committed them to memory as "The Ultimate Secretkeeper, is memory," was a Merovani proverb Amyris Rezanic, PH.D had always taken care to remember.

She carefully sighed as she said no words to offer the wizened gentleman, no comforts, nor flights of fancy that could offer him the slightest feeling of warmth in the last gleaming bit of hope eroding to a faded memory. She did so not of coldness, but because anything that interrupted the silence was warmth that was not due to this man who had passed away with the prospects of peace fading with him. The gloaming had not yet come to pass upon the Seeleländian shores, and she had yet to overcome her sense of profound jet lag, which meant she had time to comprehend what had happen. Far more time than her Edomite staff coworkers, or new friends. It had felt like days for her, and she had not yet recovered from the days and nights to the schedule of New Edom. The patient as well, had every reason to feel distress, as her husband was a scoundrel, and he had viciously taken liberties with the fair lady Amyris within the confines of her vows of silence. This alone was enough to take the girl to a resigned fate away from court, and what now with the horrible death of her cousin. It was for this reason Amyris kept silence. It was a Silence she would keep until it was deemed absolutely necessary to break. As what use was it at all now? Such enforcement was better offered toward stability and to maintain the office of the crown, even if it meant enduring the secret that should have never been kept.

“She cannot stay within there all day, and this is very much considerably a medical emergency. I would recommend contacting her next of kin, as she has clearly a need to consider what she must do in this ever dark hour. The light of dawn could not even bring forth the gleam of the daystar in her eyes now, and without intervening we risk her health, we must make haste and take her to safety. No effort should be spared, while I am on staff as a consultant, a professional, and a medical doctor, I am first and foremost a doctor, so if there is need of me anywhere, I shall go in service of the Queen.”

Weinstein sighed, he remembered the conversation he’d had with his son earlier: “Dad, you have to get out of New Edom! Get out of there! Everyone’s saying the Boy General was the only guy holding the place together. Civil War’s just around the corner now!” Ron was imploring his father to leave the country.

“I know, Ron, it’s not necessarily that simple though. I didn’t see big jets at the airport, we might be able to book a flight to Laudine or Tartarus, but it might not be safe flying out of here period,” Weinstein explained.

“Do whatever you have to. I can’t imagine going overland in a civil war is a good idea. Good thing mom didn’t get on her flight yet…” Ron said.

“Yes, good thing,” Weinstein was saying. “Listen, I’ll talk to you later, Ron, there’s suddenly a great deal we need to take care of.”

He had to think of his family, but there was a nagging sense of duty. Maybe part of it was that Ron himself was facing much more direct danger. Or maybe he was just too stubborn or too principles. Stepping forward, Weinstein said “I took an oath. One I can’t claim to have kept if I willingly leave with Her Majesty in this condition. If I cannot keep my oath, then I am no longer fit to continue in my profession, and will have lost my purpose in life. The only way to fulfill it is to see to the wellbeing of my patient.”

“I do not claim to be an expert in New Edom, but I do know there are people who would see Her Majesty harmed. I also believe, based on our findings, that a tragedy of this magnitude will put Her Majesty in such a state that she will be of a danger to herself. Dr. Rezanic is correct. Direct intervention is necessary if we are to save her.”

“This is not to say that Her Majesty’s Dignity is to be undermined, she is to be respected to the fullest extent, but we must ensure that she survives as well. This is our duty first and foremost before God, and for the sake of New Edomites. This is something we have to have prepared ourselves for. The country has been in a state of instability for long, and even the smallest of disruptions could be disastrous, and look: A simple moment of joy and levity brought forth misery and death. Heavens only hope that it shan’t bring more.”

Father Emmaeus spread out his right hand and said, “it is in the hands of God. She will attend the funerals, she will not neglect such a duty. She will be prepared for that. As to safety--there are members of the family who will rally to her.” he suppressed a yawn. “Forgive me I have had little sleep. I will however speak to the Queen on your behalf.” he paused a moment and said, “I do not find this surprising. The Devil stalks this land like a roaring lion, for it is a land where faith contends with unbelief. It must be so.” he nodded to them and left.
Last edited by Seelelander on Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:26 am

“What a besotted mess.” Amyris said while the Father was out of sight. “Left to the mercies of the Court in the most vulnerable of moments? I couldn’t wish to be Queen less. Poor girl, I wish there was something I could do for her, and I do wish at least a hug could be offered. Warmth, a gentle soothing touch to brush off the tears and worries if but for a short time.” Amyris said as she huffed. “Furthermore we are left without a thing to do. Do you know what that is like for me? I have not patients and no work at the moment. It is practically a vacation, and she’s living the worst day of her life since a long time over again. I am… just so torn at the moment.”

Weinstein’s eyes seemed to search for answers. Eventually he put a hand on Rezanic’s bare shoulder. “I know what you mean. Our patient is now a suicide risk and we’ve been shut out. I wonder if we’ll get that call…” he pushed the thought from his mind. “She didn’t deserve any of this. Born into both privilege and immense suffering. I think we’d better start making arrangements to move her out of the country. Her family too, if possible. I fear the monarchy isn’t nearly as strong as it used to be since the...ex-President came to power.”

“Who is it that the Monarchy contends with that stands upon an equal strength with it without President Perrin Pahath Moab?” Amyris asked doubtfully, as she was quite sure they were stronger than this, and that they were wiser than to have all of their staff in one location. It appeared like a set up and a contract murder or a terrorist attack to her. But how of course, would they have been able to get all of the politicians in that single stadium? Puzzling. There were few reasons she could think of that were of noble intent.

Hesitantly, Weinstein fished his phone out of his pocket. He searched for a few articles. “The End Times Church. Pahath-Moab tried to disarm them, but without him, they could come back. It’s largely their influence why some Edomites consider nudity to be holy. The monarchy doesn’t follow the ETC, and their tendency towards armed militia turned them into a military force in their own right. They kept monarchist military forces from seizing Fineberg during the last civil war.”

Weinstein moved on. “Then you have the Elwe Independence movement. The eastern provinces of Teman and Raith Immel are home to Elwe peoples, one of three ethnic groups in New Edom, including Barans, like the Queen, and the Haranese to the south. There have been at least three Elwe Uprisings and they fought in the last Civil War. More radical Elwe are in favor of armed revolt against the government in Fineberg. Pahath-Moab controlled them through his contacts in the Free Congress, patronage, and some veiled threats. The monarchy doesn’t have nearly the same influence.”

“So the Free Cong-Wait the End Times Church.. There is something to be said about this. Her Majesty is a woman of great piety, and believes her right to the Throne is one set forth by God’s will, and thus she has abided by many of the tenets of the End Times Church, and yet Her Majesty’s cousin the President could not broker a peace for so long? I would consider that Her Majesty’s commitment to religion would be an easy way for her to seek the patronage of the church. In doing so she has a grand union of the faithful, and the noble.”

“Her Majesty is Apostolic, not ETC,” Weinstein corrected, with some confusion. “Nudity is practiced throughout New Edom generally, even by non-ETC members. And the ETC isn’t big on sharing power. They dominated the Free Congress, Touchstone’s old government, forcing religious law on all, including the Elwe and Apostolic Christians who resented them for it. It wouldn’t be enough for the Queen to convert, she would have to allow the ETC to establish a theocracy. At which point our patient becomes disposable and at the mercy of fanatics.”

“Sadly I fear a lot of these tenuous grasps towards peace were dependent on the President personally. The President, you see, fought for the Free Congress, was a hero, even. Yet he was Her Majesty’s cousin, giving him links to the monarchy as well.”

“Which leaves Her Majesty a chance to then try and seal a bond with the End Times Church, something she could easily get by welcoming patronage of the End Times Church, but how much would she risk in alienating the Apostolic Church by doing so? There’s essentially no right way to do this, but if it will increase peace, it is a worthwhile goal, is it not?”

Smiling a bit sadly, Weinstein said “It’s not that easy. These are centuries-old rivalries. Very violent ones. Alienating one could get her killed. My parents lived through the Ceti Civil War, Dr. Rezanic. Overcoming the kind of hate that persists for so long will take more than Her Majesty taking off her clothes, I assure you. For now I think it will be better for us to focus on Her Majesty’s health strictly. Any major political movements from her risks...reprisal.”

“There is a risk of reprisal with no action as well, at least she should attempt to grasp that which is securely winnable, lest all the goodwill dry like the thickest sands of the vastest desert. There would be nothing we could do at that point, in which surrender, and likely a humiliating death awaits her unless we do something about it.”

Exasperated now, Weinstein said “You don’t seem to understand, doctor. The ETC leaders are fundamentalists, fanatics. They have despised the monarchy for centuries, and fought them openly as recently as two years ago. You may not necessarily even be able to reason with them, especially if they go on a power trip rebuilding their strength. That’s why we should work towards moving her out of the country for now.”

“Of course I don’t understand, I am a doctor, not a politician. I don’t get paid to understand the witless acts of politicians, and nor do I engage their lowbrow conduct. I am here in service to the Queen, as such I keep my hands away from the cesspool. Now, it needn’t be said that there is reason to fear, but there’s no way we can get her out of the country safely without having a safe exit, and we do not have that, so we need a contingency plan to act now so that we have something that can get her carefully somewhere she can be a normal girl, and live happily if her Reign shall continue.”

“Which was my point: we need to work on procuring an exit for us and our patient…” Weinstein said. “I’ll contact the embassy in Fineberg. I’m sure they’re busy enough, but maybe they can get us something. A flight to Laudine from Padan Aran maybe...then...I don’t know, back to Adiron? If I have to...I’ve got the space back home to put up a few people. You’re welcome to stay with us, of course.”

“For the time being, I am a lost cat with nowhere to really go. I go where there is a calling, and that’s how I take my life, a step at a time. As for her Majesty, there’s much that can be done to protect her. There’s also the chance that a double could remain here and act as a replacement temporarily to distract the potential regicides from the real Queen.”

“I thought you said you didn’t deal in politics, Doctor?” Weinstein joked with a smile.

“I don’t, I am a doctor, but I also am a woman. How could I let a child of God perish in such circumstances? It’s too cruel, and I will not abide it.” Amyris said without entertaining the notion to the contrary. “This is a matter of seriousness we must consider with great gravity. I mean, with luck we can pretend as if she is my daughter, and smuggle her out. But then there is the trouble with getting her husband out.”

“If my oath means anything, I can’t let a patient die, which is exactly why I’m arguing the safest thing is to get her out of the country,” he said, stopping to think. “She’s too recognizable. Everyone in New Edom knows what the Queen looks like. Moving overland is dangerous anyway.”

“She is recognizable, yes. It’s far too dangerous, but we wouldn’t have to show her, I could just claim she was my daughter in order to cause no confusion. She’d be dressed in Merovani adornments… er.. clothes. She’d also be fairly covered up as our people generally wear garments that cover up every bit of the body but the hands, hair, lower face, and neckline. She could even be pious and cover herself entirely, and no one would give a second look.”

“A former police state during a time of civil war is not where I’d like to test the limits of a burly militiaman’s suspicions, if you take my meaning,” Weinstein replied. It was odd hearing himself say that. The Ceti Civil War had engendered in older Adiran generations an odd familiarity with how people behaved in conditions of extreme civil disorder.

“We wouldn’t be testing a militiaman’s suspicions, but rather a lowly flight attendant or some other nonsense. A simple commercial flight, private and low key, favor for favors that gets us out unnoticed. The hard part will be keeping them in the dark long enough that we are out of dangerous airspace and can land to safety, and take her to a locale that allows for a more secure living.”

“All right, I’m thinking about it, maybe we don’t want to get too far ahead of ourselves, we still don’t know what is going to happen. Apparently the Queen attending this funeral is not optional…we’ll have to work from that. Also, the Queen’s family and handlers may not agree with our decision, which would make all of this moot.”
Last edited by Hittanryan on Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:58 am

Government Offices
New Laconia, Adiron

People across the nation are horrified by the disasterous collapse of Fineberg Olympic Stadium, as hundreds are dead or injured. Among the dead are all members of the cabinet of the Interim Government, including President of the Council General Perrin Pahath-Moab.

"Fuck!" said the Secretary of War.

...the President of the Council, Minister of Foreign Affairs Levi Dathan, Minister of Police General Sidney Harcourt and Minister of Culture Solomon Cain were found all nearby one another having apparently died instantly.

"Fuck!" said the President.

Adiran Embassy
Fineberg, New Edom

David Redstone was coming back from lunch when he found the embassy staff staring at a television. ANBC was covering the collapse of the Olympic Stadium. Tragic, sure, but why were they all so rapt?

'President of the Council Perrin Pahath-Moab among the dead...' At that, Redstone's eyes widened. The survival of New Edom now hung in the balance. Pahath-Moab's personal charisma was largely responsible for keeping things held together. His clique in the upper ranks of the military had removed from power virtually all serious competition. If it came back down to monarchy vs. ETC vs. Elwe again...it would be civil war. Virtually all of them had been stripped of power and been made dependent on Pahath-Moab for their survival. Now they were weak, and a bunch of weak factions meant a long, protracted conflict.

But then, something made his jaw hang open a moment. His worry was replaced with a much more visceral, gut emotion. He started breathing heavily, reached for the edge of his desk for balance.

The President of the Council, Minister of Foreign Affairs Levi Dathan, Minister of Police General Sidney Harcourt and Minister of Culture Solomon Cain were found all nearby one another having apparently died instantly.

Foreign Minister Levi Dathan...died instantly.

"Excuse me," the Ambassador said hoarsely to the staff, walking as though in some kind of trance towards his office. Mechanically he opened the door and locked it behind him, slowly drifting over to the desk. Collapsing in his chair, he hung his head in his hands, grieving for his fallen friend.

Glasstower
Bara Province, New Edom

Chelsea Bly and her students had been abruptly pulled out of the Isidium Foundation School in Glasstower for some kind of announcement. No one would say why. Some clearly knew already, and they looked scared, uncertain. As they walked towards the town center, a number of Nalayans had gathered as well, looking uncharacteristically concerned for veterans.

Eventually they were gathered with a sizable crowd, not the whole camp, but a good portion. Then the bombshell hit. "People across the nation are horrified by the disasterous collapse of Fineberg Olympic Stadium, as hundreds are dead or injured. Among the dead are all members of the cabinet of the Interim Government, including President of the Council General Perrin Pahath-Moab.

In a rare appearance of all members of the government for the finals of the National Football Cup, a number of areas of the stands collapsed. It is believed that many of those who died did not suffer due to massive trauma inflicted and subsequent shock and death. The President of the Council, Minister of Foreign Affairs Levi Dathan, Minister of Police General Sidney Harcourt and Minister of Culture Solomon Cain were found all nearby one another having apparently died instantly."

The Edomites looked scared, some openly wept with fear or overwhelming grief. The other Adirans didn't look much better, groups talking in concerned tones. 'What do we do? Will it be another war? What about us?' Chelsea for her part tried to remember the President, not the portrait hung up on the wall, but the brief time she met him in person. When she blurted out that Eidolon wasn't paying his child soldiers. He was gone.

School was dismissed as part of a day of national mourning. As she wandered back to the volunteer compound, the enormity of the event started to hit her. Not for her own sake, for some reason she overlooked the idea that she could suddenly be in real danger. Glasstower was finally getting back on its feet from the last civil war. With Pahath-Moab in charge, at least the people here had a fighting chance. Now...what if it started again. What if it was all for nothing? What about all her students? Their faces kept coming back, how hard it had been for them. Haman, Joseph, all of them.

It was too much for her. With no school to go back to, she just stumbled back to her room. She tried to hold back before she got there, but the tears came before she got in the door. Collapsing on the bed, Chelsea sobbed deeply and uncontrollably, weeping for the people she'd tried, and maybe failed, to help.

Cacerta
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Cacerta » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:13 am

Parliamentary Palace,
Vichenza, Sarissita, The Kingdom of Cacerta

Unbelievable.

That was the only word that Anelyn could use to describe the news that was rushed to her desk. She immediately arose from her office in the Parliamentary Palace and into a nearby break room where the Prime Minister and several members of her cabinet were watching the news on a nearby television. The room hung heavy with a stunned silence before the sound of the Queen's finger snap quickly brought their attention to her. An awkward pause followed before Federico -- the Chief of National Security -- took the initiative to turn down the volume. All of her closest advisers, including members of the Defense Council, were present and they firmly met Anelyn's stern gaze.

"Any ideas yet?" Anelyn was short and to the point. Without Perrin holding the Allied States together, it was very likely that another Civil War could erupt. And with New Edom's long history of conflict, it was almost inevitable.

Mila, the Chief of SISMI, was the first to speak, with folded arms and a furrowed brow, "We were thinking of getting some of our agents into New Edom and activating others already there. It would work to our advantage if we could get eyes on the situation and have a good idea of what's going on inside the country. With that said, it will be difficult to get more people in. No doubt, the political climate will be tense following Pahath-Moab's death."

Anelyn turned to Mila and nodded, "Do what you can. I agree that it's important we know what's going on."

Prime Minister Henrietta adjusted her glasses with a single finger before she spoke, "We have our treaty with Allied States to consider. Our obligations are to the Queen of New Edom and the National Legislature, but we may have to act in the best interest for the Allied States and the region. It would be foolish to think Her Majesty, Queen Mara, will re-assume an active role in the New Edomite government considering her recent absence."

"I was planning on requesting to put the 3rd Amphibious Strike and the 1st Carrier Strike fleets on standby," the Grand Admiral, dressed in a formal Davion uniform was standing near Olivia, the Air Fleet Commander, "While we all hope it won't happen, I feel that it would be best to have some of our units prepared to respond just in case. I agree with the Prime Minister, we must act in the best interest for the country to ensure regional stability and that may come down to having to move or evacuate members of the old government -- that could easily get messy."

It would be a waste of energy for anyone to argue. All present understood that it was the truth. "You have my permission, Grand Admiral, to place those fleets on standby." The Queen took a long hard look at all who were present. "We'll have an emergency meeting this evening. I expect to hear good things."

With that, Anelyn returned to her office.
HMS Anelyn Trento, Queen Anelyn Class Battleship
North-Northwest of Fumicino, Lombardo, The Kingdom of Cacerta

Captain Hanna Doria was in the fitness room aboard her ship for her daily run. The 1st Carrier Strike Fleet had been on patrol on northwestern Lombardo for the last two days -- uneventful as always. She was thinking about her trip to New Edom through her music when an orderly quickly came to her and saluted, "Urgent, from Fumicino, Captain." She punched the stop button on her treadmill and accepted the telegram, reading:

Return to port. Remain on standby combat alert for further orders.

She picked up the wireless headset from around her neck and placed them on her head, adjusting the microphone and channel to the bridge. "Francesco, do you copy?"

"Yes, Captain. Loud and clear."

"Set a course for home. Inform the other Captains of our change in course."

"Aye, Captain, setting a course south-by-southeast." There was an audible pause before her First Officer spoke again. "You should come to the AIC, Captain. This is pretty important."

Hanna placed the headphones back around her neck and took a nearby towel to wipe the perspiration off of her body. The urgency in Francesco's voice prompted her to half-jog to the ship's action information center. There, her First Officer was standing in the center floor, another telegram in his hand, and upon seeing his Captain he handed it to her.

Perrin Pahath-Moab deceased. All members of the interim government considered dead.

"All ahead full, Francesco."

"Aye, Captain, all ahead full."
Last edited by Cacerta on Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Novitera
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:53 pm

Avantine, State of Soletrek, Novitera
Executive Center

A rare meeting for the federal government's elites and a brief one as that was all the schedule permitted. They met in the same lounge used to discuss the situation in Azurlavai where the walls were decorated with Noviteran landscapes. Harvey Gentry and Miles Bryson were here, a members of the Federation Directorate Panel who represented the legislature. Present also were Executive Center Chief of Staff Cassandra Donal, Executor of State Eric Douglas, Executor of Commerce Ellia Hathawell and finally the Executor of Defense Barry Zhao who all here knew was something of a crooked man. They closed to doors behind them to get privacy. This room was designed for discrete conversations allowing very little noise to escape once the doors were shut.

"Get the cigars and scotch. Time to celebrate." Exclaimed Miles Bryson with a wide grin on his face. The rest declined save for Barry who joined in on a drink and smoke with him. Liquor cabinet and cigar box in the back of the room provided all they needed. "To the fall of Perrin and his cabinet." Miles said, raising a glass to Barry who did as well.

Their display earned the scorn of Cassandra who scowled at them. "Should we really be happy about this?" She asked angrily.

"My dear Cassandra, Perrin may have let us in to do business but he was no friend of Novitera. With the way he was running his government the place was too risky to scale up commerce. We never would have gotten the penetration our...constituents...wanted." Explained Miles nonchalantly.

"He is right in a way. Were elections ever going to come? What about the rule of law which protects corporate interests or even assurances that another conflict won't arise? New Edom will likely be seeing turmoil soon. All because Perrin and a few of his cronies croaked." Ellia interjected.

"Yes, the situation is unpredictable. We may come out of this the better or worse. But that is the nature of all opportunities and this might just be the catalyst needed to shape the country into something more stable and...Noviteran friendly." Miles added.

"And with the turmoil to come, this may be our chance to find a way to boot the Edomites and their base out of Peregrino." Barry interjected with raised eyebrows. "We should start sending money to the PIP so they will be ready when it comes to strike. Azurlavai has plenty of hardware. They will need a buyer." He offered.

"Don't even think about doing that yet." Harvey spoke for the first time. "We may be able to negotiate for that as New Edom stumbles down the hill and we have the ability to help them back up."

"A lot of countries have that too. None will ask for them to give up Peregrino in return. They'll have their pick on helping hands." Barry responded quickly.

Grumpy as always, Eric finally joined the conversation after filling a glass at the liquor cabinet. He was not celebrating. Perhaps he never did. Eric was just a drinker and needed to wet his throat. "Miles, stop acting like the situation does not pose a significant danger to our interests. We do not yet know what conflicts and shifts in power will happen region wide because of this."

"I'm playing the long game here old man. Yes, there's a danger. Fortune forbid the ETC come to power. Or...a New Edom with a democratically elected legislature and executive. Laws that protect the businessman. Barry and I talked about it, without this we would not get the opportunity to strengthen our commercial and security interests." Miles retorted. Eric simply groaned in return then turned his head away.

"Enough conjecture and speculation. Our banks are selling the Edomite bonds they hold. I think we should do the same. Unload them all. That is the wisest course of action we can and should take for now. Are we agreed on that?" Harvey asked the room. Every one silently nodded. "Good. Recommend to Trask that the treasury do it immediately."
Last edited by Novitera on Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Exalted Draconia
Envoy

Founded: May 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Draconeum, Exalted Draconia

Postby Exalted Draconia » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:16 pm

"Dreadful business, by all of the Gods! It's a shame, really. Perrin had his faults, most notably the whole coziness with mad Christian sects and the disgust with homosexuality, but he was the only source of law and order in that damned place! What by Helios will they do for stability and unity now?" Mantarakis banged his fist on the desk.

"Become Ghant, I suppose. Or worse. It's no secret that the Dakmarans and Sofia Magissa have undermined law and order in both places by whatever means they can. Michael in Edom's case, Malibar in Ghant's. Not, mind you, that I approve of Albert. It's no secret that he is warming up to the Imperium, which disgusts me," Mavros scratched his beard.

"What of the other Dakmaran, this Martin fellow? Malibar's son?" Talia Mavros asked.

"Good question, but for now, I have a message for the Heir," Mantarakis stated baldly.

To: HRH Crown Princess Jocasta Obed of New Edom

Your Highness,

I offer deep condolences for the loss of your respected and eminent leader, President of the Council and Brigadier-General Perrin Pahath-Moab, as well as the members of his cabinet, and thousands of other local Edomites. I pray that you will be given strength and wisdom as you struggle to lead your nation during the double crisis of losing both its head of state to the need to rest and its head of government to death. I pray on behalf of my people that you will continue to have peace and prosperity at this time and that the troubles never return.

In the name of the Gods,
Col. Stylianos Mantarakis (Ret.), President of Exalted Draconia

"As for young King Michael, perhaps we have an opportunity here, but we must strike quickly and hard," Security Minister Spiro Mavros smiled, but his smile wasn't a friendly one.

"Well, kyros, I am all ears," Mantarakis grinned, "I don't like how that man has exploited the Queen of New Edom. I didn't protect her from a Nekulturnyan lout at the first CPO summit just to see her mistreated by another man, this one a husband who fails to do his sacred duty as lord and husband at all."
Last edited by Exalted Draconia on Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:49 pm

Breaking: Pahath-Moab, New Edom Cabinet Killed in Stadium Collapse

Fineberg- President of the Council Perrin Pahath-Moab, Foreign Minister Levi Dathan, Minister of Police Sidney Harcourt, and Minister of Culture Solomon Cain along with hundreds of others have been confirmed dead in a freak accident at the Fineberg Olympic Stadium during the Edomite finals for the National Football Cup. Sources say that during the match a number of the stands collapsed, killing hundreds and trapping many more beneath hundreds of tons of rubble. The search for survivors continues. Preliminary reports did not suggest foul play; the general consensus is that faulty construction was to blame.

New Edom is reportedly in a state of shock; a day of national mourning has been declared, and scenes from Fineberg show people grieving openly in public. The much-beloved Pahath-Moab is credited by many Edomites with ending the civil war, bringing an economic boom to the nation, and bringing international prestige to New Edom through the CPO and other efforts. With his death along with most of the government's line of succession, fears abound regarding New Edom's stability. Pahath-Moab's Interim Government was able to effectively manage the various former factions of the Civil War, but with much of his government now deceased it remains to be seen if the tensions will boil over once more.

Reactions in Adiron were mixed. Feminists and some human rights groups have criticized Pahath-Moab's government for its stances on womens' rights, LGBT rights, and political suppression. They have expressed hope that the next government will be more committed to addressing these issues. However, election monitors working with the Center for Democratic Progress also stated that the Interim Government was pursuing effective policy towards local elections, and that the end of economic growth and expanded educational opportunities under Pahath-Moab might ultimately make liberalization more difficult.

Generally the most prevailing concern is over the potential of renewed civil unrest in New Edom. Still recovering from the Second Civil War, humanitarian issues remain serious challenges for New Edom. Hundreds of thousands still live in refugee camps around the country, and the standard of living while improving is still marginal for many. Furthermore, there is a substantial population of Adiran relief workers and businesspeople remaining in the country; there is currently no word if any Adiran citizens were caught in the Olympic Stadium disaster.

President DeGroot issued a press statement not long after the disaster.

"First, the I would like to know that the Republic's sympathies are with all of those affected by the Fineberg Olympic Stadium Disaster. Our thoughts are with those still fighting for survival and the victims' friends and families. The Edomite first responders' efforts have been commendable, and if there is any way Adiron can aid in the ongoing search effort we will act on it immediately. We hope the investigation will uncover the full cause of the disaster in due time."

"I would like to at this time address the devastating blow this tragedy has delivered to the government of New Edom, causing the deaths of most of the Cabinet including such dedicated officials as Solomon Cain, Sidney Harcourt, Levi Dathan, and of course, President of the Council Perrin Pahath-Moab."

"President Pahath-Moab was sometimes a controversial figure, in many ways he kept the entire international community guessing. I've heard some laud his achievements in one breath while condemning him in the next. I have worked with General Pahath-Moab over the years. What I saw was a soldier with a code. Whatever he was--or wasn't--the President acted always in a way he felt best served New Edom. Now is not the time to debate his failings and feats but to remember what the President represented for the people of New Edom: hope. Hope for peace. Hope for healing. Hope for the future. Hope that things could get better."

"New Edom has experienced a national tragedy today, and will face many challenges in the weeks and months ahead. I would like to call on the international community to ensure Pahath-Moab's vision outlives him: making peace and prosperity attainable for the Edomite people. My government will be in contact with the surviving members of the Interim Government to determine how Adiron can help do just that."

New Macureus
Envoy

Ex-Nation

General Ios Melin, Supreme Commander

Postby New Macureus » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:07 pm

Office of the Supreme Commander, New Macureus City, New Macureus:

"Initiate contact with the Edomite Ambassador, Citizen Secretary," General Melin's voice coldly instructed his assistant, who got right to work.

"Pertaining to the manner in which this affects our initiatives in Nekulturnya and Dengali, I would propose that these do not purchase time as we might be tempted to presuppose. Instead, they present us with the opportunity to act ruthlessly. Accordingly, increase tensions in the Council of Delegates. Instruct Grishanov to instigate delays, procedural and parliamentary, which might further frustrate the Tsarist ambitions. Without any notable Edomite sponsors available to prevent us or assist Grand Duke Pavel and Grand Duchess Sonia, our interests can be furthered.

"You have substantially increased our available manpower in Nekulturnya, in cooperation with Old Macureus, correct, Citizen General?" Melin demanded to know, while awaiting Sif Finnhald, Ambassador of New Edom.

"As you have directed me, Citizen Supreme Commander. I maintain confidence in the efficacy of our initiatives. Airport and seaport security have been augmented, along with coastal and air defenses, roadblocks, random inspections, checkpoints, etc. Security Forces have resumed surveillance of all activity, everywhere in Bastyak. Internal passports continue to be utilized," General Murayawa assured him, "as to Dengali, our first operatives are being transported to the optimal locations, via the consulates. We have the initiative here, Citizen General."

"Excellent. Once our operatives are installed, compiling of information will be only a particular example of our options there in Dengali. Phase Gray can be initiated with relative impunity, difficult though it may be. Josiastown is the ideal location, is not? With any success, we may conceivably achieve some political objectives there at last. We did not anticipate this opportunity, and yes, it is certainly tragic, but I would not be an effective leader if I did not avail myself of it. I had other contingencies for which I prepared this mission, yet I will exploit it shamelessly and ruthlessly," Melin spoke blandly over his spectacles.

"Phase Gray?" Anu Namin wondered.

"The Dengali Plan For Political Reeducation and Social Transformation. To summarize it would be to stipulate the necessity of advancing the Leck cause both in Dengali and in Edom as well. Surreptitiously, of course. The time has come for us to flex our political muscles. Careful donations to the Leck Party of New Edom and to nascent sympathizers in Dengali are a necessary preliminary stage for this development," Melin countered.

"Pertaining to Deadora, Vyrsar, and Ghant, however?" Namin asked.

"We secretly pursue improved relations with all, yet prepare for the eventual possibility of conflict, undoubtedly."

"Naturally. And Ossoria?"

"More imperative than previously. Ossoria is not beholden to anyone else in Acheron. Nor is TECT, for that matter. Both are options that we must consider, shall we not?"

"Logically....," Namin agreed, as the door opened at last.
Last edited by New Macureus on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When marrying, ask yourself this question: Do you believe that you will be able to converse well with this person into your old age? Everything else in marriage is transitory. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Bisexual, polyamorous, married, atheist, center-right Republican. Yes, I'm an odd sort of fellow. Get over it.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:11 pm

Harbourtown, New Edom

An ugly city, an industrial city, a city rebuilt over the inflamed and shattered rubble of civil wars, teeming with immigrants, displaced persons who found work in factories and warehouses, railyards and wharves. Day labourers who lined up daily for what work they could get, unionized workers who worked an alloted amount of time every week.

Ideologies had marched, come and gone, and now there were the posters showing amity between Monarchist and Free Congress, embodied in the calm smiling image of the President of the Council of Ministers. Where once the Monarchists had been burned in effigy, now the Heir, the lovely Princess Jocsata, rode in a smiing car to visit the factories that were the life's blood of a once starving city. And in the ashes, swept away, were the Anarchists, the Communists, the Feminists, gone gone gone. And now the President of the Council with them. On one such poster someone had scrawled tyrant, another saviour crossing out the first. Someone wrote in screaming red letters beside the poster on the wall who really killed our President? while someone wrote below that in white calmer letters an evil evil stadium.

Chretien Mont, born to an immigrant Lazodirian family, a young man who had a savvy for online research and yet could also physically work hard, read from a sheet of paper which hd been printed from something going viral.

MANIFESTO OF FUTURISM

1. We intend to sing the love of danger, the habit of energy and fearlessness.

2. Courage, audacity, and revolt will be essential elements of our poetry.

3. Up to now literature has exalted a pensive immobility, ecstasy, and sleep. We intend to exalt aggressive action, a feverish insomnia, the racer’s stride, the mortal leap, the punch and the slap.

4. We affirm that the world’s magnificence has been enriched by a new beauty: the beauty of speed. A racing car whose hood is adorned with great pipes, like serpents of explosive breath—a roaring car that seems to ride on grapeshot is more beautiful than the Victory of Samothrace.

5. We want to hymn the man at the wheel, who hurls the lance of his spirit across the Earth, along the circle of its orbit.

6. The poet must spend himself with ardor, splendor, and generosity, to swell the enthusiastic fervor of the primordial elements.

7. Except in struggle, there is no more beauty. No work without an aggressive character can be a masterpiece. Poetry must be conceived as a violent attack on unknown forces, to reduce and prostrate them before man.

8. We stand on the last promontory of the centuries!… Why should we look back, when what we want is to break down the mysterious doors of the Impossible? Time and Space died yesterday. We already live in the absolute, because we have created eternal, omnipresent speed.

9. We will glorify war—the world’s only hygiene—militarism, patriotism, the destructive gesture of freedom-bringers, beautiful ideas worth dying for, and scorn for woman.

10. We will destroy the museums, libraries, academies of every kind, will fight moralism, feminism, every opportunistic or utilitarian cowardice.

11. We will sing of great crowds excited by work, by pleasure, and by riot; we will sing of the multicolored, polyphonic tides of revolution in the modern capitals; we will sing of the vibrant nightly fervor of arsenals and shipyards blazing with violent electric moons; greedy railway stations that devour smoke-plumed serpents; factories hung on clouds by the crooked lines of their smoke; bridges that stride the rivers like giant gymnasts, flashing in the sun with a glitter of knives; adventurous steamers that sniff the horizon; deep-chested locomotives whose wheels paw the tracks like the hooves of enormous steel horses bridled by tubing; and the sleek flight of planes whose propellers chatter in the wind like banners and seem to cheer like an enthusiastic crowd.

He put down the manifesto and looked baffled at the man sitting across the table from him in the isolated room in the cheap hotel he had met him in. The other man was older, world weary looking, in a well worn and cheap suit, suggesting that he was an official of some kind, his hair grey and combed across a thinning pate.

"I don't get it. .What kind of conspiracy is this? What are they, fascists, radical capitalists, anarchists?" he asked.

"They are the latter. Anarchism is a dangerous parasitic ideology, able to adapt to marxism, feminism...even Christianity. Here, where so much is yet uncertain in future, they are among the most dangerous. Christianity of the End Times Church is believed to be their next goal of adaptation." the man drew on a cigarette and puffed out acrid smoke.

"I do not see how I can help, but whatever I must do..." Chretien said eagerly.

"You are foreign in origin, but entirely native in yoru desire to serve your country," the older man said with a nod. "This is known. And you have been through a great deal, your interrogation training, your resistance, memory, blending in, resourceful ness...I think this was a job made for you. You will infiltrate this conspiracy--and help to kill it before it shows itself on our streets."

Chretien felt a fierce cold joy in his chest. "I will sir, you can count on me."

The man slid a folder across to him. "Here is how you will go about this. Thus far you are known only as a student working odd jobs trying to find his way. That is good--they like such people. as of now though you are on your own. Do not come here again, do not seek me. I do not know you. Understand?"

Chretien swallowed. "I understand." But even as he said this, the man was leaving in a cloud of cigarette smoke. He opened the folder.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:16 pm

Government Offices: AIS and State Department
New Laconia, Adiron

DeGroot's government wasn't taking any chances. All of the State Department's projections said that without Pahath-Moab, New Edom would be heading for more civil unrest, possibly even renewed civil war. None of the remaining Cabinet members had the leverage or charisma to fill Perrin's shoes. The Queen was indisposed, not making any public appearances despite New Edom's need for a new rallying point. Samuel Under had spent the better part of a few weeks criticizing the Interim Government with impunity, and as reported in the news radical Elwe still had designs of violent revolution.

As interns darted back and forth between offices, the sounds of shuffling papers, rapid typing, scrawling pens, and brief, stressed conversations could be heard. In the Second Civil War a fleet had been deployed only to be recalled, and the AIS had lacked assets. That indecision had cost them dearly; the Interim Government that emerged from that conflict had at best leveraged Adiron and the Imperium and at worst been a subtle ally to Magus Civitas since Damoclea.

The power players who brokered those ties with the Imperium were now all gone. King James II. Philip Tubal-Cain. Charles Rand. Benjamin Kent. Sidney Harcourt. Perrin Pahath-Moab. Dead to the last man. This was an opportunity, one which would not be squandered again. Now they had a chance to shatter FODE once and for all. The Shrailleen and Deadorans had already condemned the Imperium, leaving Pahath-Moab's New Edom as the only other member of the oil cartel truly aligned with the Imperials. A new government might give assurances it would not back the Imperium in future conflicts, or even turn over intelligence regarding Pahath-Moab's relationship with them. Maybe they'd even become a genuine Adiran ally rather than a determined fence-sitter. If Adiron didn't act first though, the Imperium would reestablish New Edom as an ally, and they'd be back at square one.

Whatever potential for good, the potential for a massive clusterfuck was just as high. Edomite military forces were deployed around the region and beyond, including CPO peacekeeping missions which Adiron contributed to. Where would their loyalties lie? Would they attempt to return home? Would they go rogue? No one knew. Then there was the matter of New Edom itself, specifically the Boy General's succession. The Interim Government deliberately drew from Free Congress and Monarchists. Fear had likely kept those divisions under wraps, but now there was nothing keeping the pressure on. And none of that accounted for those nominally outside the government, factions like the ETC, EIO, "Greens," ambitious nobility, military cliques, or any of that.

AIS

They were learning a number of these details from a lucky HUMINT find by the AIS: Sidney Harcourt's predecessor, former Free Congress Minister of Police John Kohath. Following Pahath-Moab's coup, he had fled to one of his contingency safehouses deep in the Arcologian jungle. Despite his remote location, the hounds of the Inquisition and Council Police still managed to sniff him out. Kohath and his wife managed to escape a Special Forces raid by the skin of his teeth and make his way north. By the time he did, Operation Overcast was underway, and he encountered General Potter's forces as they surrounded Badlands Headquarters.

Few outside of Potter's command tent knew what happened next, but suffice it to say John Kohath and his wife were now living in an unremarkable house in an unremarkable suburb of Isidium. He had contributed photographs, records, and periodic updates from contacts he had saved all for a rainy day. Some of those contacts hadn't survived the purges, but there were still assets there being worked by AIS contacts. It was time to cash in their chips.

In Kohath's voice mailbox was a coded message. "Hey Steve, sorry we missed dinner, say hi to all you friends for us. Can you meet for lunch at Ron's? Give us a call back." The message meant they were to meet at Solstice Park at one of the cafes there to discuss matters of interest, and he was to contact them to confirm he'd make it.

State Department

Meanwhile, the State Department was desperately trying to establish a new list of contacts amongst the surviving line of succession. No one was quite sure who had been at the Olympic Stadium and who hadn't. Levi Dathan had been confirmed killed, but most of the Cabinet was supposed to have been there. Elizabeth Corbulo was Undersecretary for Cornellian Affairs, she'd be next, but what if she had been at the stadium too?

To: Office of the Foreign Minister, Allied States of New Edom
Subject: Condolences

On behalf of the Republic, I'd like to express our deepest sympathies over the Olympic Stadium Disaster. New Edom has endured further terrible losses today. For hundreds to be killed just trying to enjoy a football match is horrific enough, but to lose virtually the entire Cabinet as well defies belief. To the end, President Pahath-Moab, General Harcourt, Colonel Cain, and Minister Dathan were steadfast servants of their nation.

I would also like to also extend my personal condolences to the staff of the Foreign Ministry for the loss of Foreign Minister Dathan. He was a man of integrity, character, and tirelessly dedicated to New Edom. He will be sorely missed.

In these dark times, my government has expressed concerns over the matters of succession, national security, and Adiran assets in New Edom. To elaborate:

1. Succession: With such a devastating blow to the government, succession of the Presidency has become anything but routine or systematic, not helped by the ambiguity of the constitutional situation. My government therefore wants to know who has been appointed acting ministers in the interim, as well as how best to reach them. If possible, we would hope that in some way we can be kept appraised of the succession question.

2. National security: Despite laudable efforts by President Pahath-Moab and others, two years simply is not enough time to fully heal the deep divisions of the most recent Civil War. As recently as the first Test Election, monitors noted political factions divided along similar lines. My government is therefore looking to assess the threat of serious civil unrest in New Edom during a transition of power, namely due to item #3.

3. Adiran assets in New Edom: The State Department's best estimates are that several thousand Adiran nationals are currently living or working in New Edom. Most are working in the major cities, especially Fineberg and Lookinghaven. However, the Isidium Foundation also has an ongoing mission in Glasstower, with several hundred relief workers in a rural area of Bara Province. As a contingency, we believe it may be prudent to have an evacuation plan in place.

My condolences again,
David Redstone,
Ambassador to New Edom
Last edited by Hittanryan on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

United Valik
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 24, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Prime Minister Basil Pappas of United Valik

Postby United Valik » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:31 pm

"Get me the Heir, please. I want to speak directly to her. I could be cold and impersonal, but she is a young woman, young enough to be my granddaughter. I feel great compassion for her, you know. This is a very trying time. Her sister MIA. Her trusted President dead and gone, with his entire cabinet. To whom can she turn?" Pappas insisted.

"Yes, of course, Prime Minister," his assistant, Stanislav Horowitz, half-Polish, half-Jewish, as it happened, replied.

"Hello, this is the Prime Minister of United Valik. I wish to speak to the Heir," Pappas asked, "I have my condolences to offer for her and your country in this time of sadness and tragedy."

Talia Tsaros, the Foreign Minister, bit her nails and sat with tears in her eyes.....it had to hurt the poor woman, to be so alone and have an entire nation look at her for guidance....that couldn't be easy.

New Edom was a nation without a constitution, and now it was paying the price.

"It will be alright, Mama," her son assured her, letting the normally tomboyish Foreign Minister, the strong mother that he knew, be weak with him....rest her head on his shoulders.

Perhaps it was because he was gay....and in fact, New Edom's Morality Act and Gay Reeducation Centers disgusted Phaidon Tsaros, but he was well aware that something else had happened. A nation was suffering yet again, a nation that already met more than its fill of suffering and tragedy...and his mother was crying. He was gay, yes, but he was also a caring son, and he loved his mother as a good son should, felt compassion for her in her distress....and agreed with her that once again, innocent people would suffer....had suffered too much. No matter that she was mourning some of the most homophobic leaders in Cornellia...his mother was crying, and he would console her.
"It's one big club...and you ain't in it." - George Carlin

Wrongfully banned in 2022 and lived to tell about it.

Aggressive war is wrong, no matter who does it.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:33 pm

Gilden Gas Turbine Power Plant, Southern Bara province, near the town of Apok

Ezekiel Orpah, the Lead Engineer for the plant, was in his office looking over a safety test report, planning on submitting his own report for scheduling some maintenance repairs. From the office building, which was separate from the plant itself, you could see the roads, the fences with razor topped warning signs and gleaming in the distance the little factory town that nearly all the workers lived, shopped, churched and bred in. He made nothing of the noise of motor vehicles on the road, it was common. There were always big trucks carrying hay, livestock, farming or construction equipment moving down the road. So when there was a knock on his door and the assistant plant manager, Kohn-David said, "Hey, boss? There's a bunch of soldiers that are setting roadblocks up at the roads, and there's a Pseudonja coming up towards the office," he was shocked and alarmed.

"I'll be right down. Call the Directorate (he meant the Directorate of Oil and Resources, their department officer) and find out if anything is going on." He went to put on his jacket, cinched his tie--everyone working for energy sources in the government had to wear clothes at all times unless being hygienic or in an actual act of prayer--and by the time he had done this Kohn-David said, "I talked to Mr. Samuel, he said that he knew nothing of any plans involving the military. He suggests you ask their officer what they want.."

He wasn't happy about this. Everyone in the Directorate knew about how the power plant in Sixington became a battleground between militias. He had no idea even who these people were. But he could not be a coward before his staff. So he walked out, neatly dressed, a prematrely balding dark haired Baran man with glasses, a tie, a suit jacket, pocket protector, and went to meet the Pseudonja.

A young looking officer wearing battle dress, a helmet under his arm, got out and bowed, he returned the bow. "I am Captain Shadrach Shobal, of the 9th Marine infantry Regiment. Who might I have the honour of addressing?"

Beyond, Orpah could see up the road where the roadlblock was being put up, there were two APCs and an armoured car there.

"I am Lead Engineer Ezekiel Orpah. I have the honour to be one of the senior of the six lead engineers attached to this power plant project. To what do I owe the pleasure of your presence, Captain Shobal?"

"We are securing access to this power plant. You have heard of the tragedy of the cabinet being killed at the stadium?" Shobal said seriously.

"Of course, Captain, may God rest all their souls, and may He guard our country from anarchy."

"Precisely so. That is why we are here."

Orpah took a deep breath. "That is fine, but Captain, you will have ot withdraw from the area you are in and guard the road further down. There is a danger of your engineers damaging ground wires. This is not a safe area."

Shobal looked startled. "But we're standing on a road here..."

"Yes, we human beings are. And your vehicle is relatively light. Armoured vehicles are heavier. We have strict rules about any construction or other heavy vehicles--heavier than 2 tons--being on this property. I hope you understand. We also appreciate the security. By the way, may I ask who gave you your orders?" Orpah said, hoping his sweating wasn't obvious.

"I was given orders by the adjutant of my regiment on behalf of the commander of my regiment," said Shobal crisply.

"No, I mean--who gave the orders generally? So I can inform my assistant director at the Directorate of Energy?" explained Orpah. "He had not heard of any directive."

Shobal frowned. "I only have the orders as I received them. If you wish to know more, you ought to contact the Ministry of Defense. I will move the vehicles further down the road. Your people all have work passes and identity cards, yes?"

"Of course," said Orpah, who felt his armpits sticky, his throat dry. "Thank you Captain."

They exchanged bows and each went their separate ways. Orpah watched from his office as the vehicles did in fact move back, but then they began setting up road blocks again on the public road this time. He also could see that on a hill of a nearby farm they had moved a unit there, which began to diminish from sight, clealry being camouflaged. He closed the venetian blinds, and then started; in the open door of his office, several worried looking staff were waiting for him to explain something he had no knowledge of.

Shalum
Minister

Founded: Oct 07, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Shalum » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:39 pm

Shalumite Combined Arms Base
New Edom

It was peaceful in General Jack Harper's office, at least for the moment, as he quietly flipped through a folder that had been left for him by one of the more senior officers under his command. There was nothing particularly special about the folder in his hands. It was just a weekly report of information about things like: the current state of base, the marines under his command, the marines that had been deployed to the Deadoran/Edomite border, and the new shipments of equipment that had arrived from Shalum. With things always uncertain in Acheron, particularly in and around New Edom, he had felt that it would be wise to have a few extra armored vehicles on standby should the need arise for them. Suffice to say, the Department of Defense had been more than willing to send him what he wanted. If anything, they had sent him more than what he had actually wanted, thanks to the deals that had been arranged between Wolf Armaments and the Shalumite government.

At this feet, a small huffing sound could be heard, followed by a series of metallic clinking and shuffling. Glancing down, he smile slightly. At his feet, an oversized puppy had curled up under his desk, its head resting on one of his shoes. Leaning down, he gently scratched behind the small animal's ear. A few weeks prior, he had decided to lighten up the base's command post with a dog, and in true Shalumite marine fashion, he had chosen a Gallagher shepherd. It hadn't been a cheap acquisition because he had not only flown it in from his homeland, but he had chosen to get the working breed instead of the show breed known for being both power and loyal to a fault, if not a bit bullheaded at times. He had decided to give him a 'proper' Shalumite name, which happened to be 'Baron' in this case. He had yet to bring him home yet, since he wasn't exactly sure of his wife's stance on big dogs such as what he would end up being before long.

The comfortable silence of the officer was broken, rather suddenly, as the heavy wooden door flew to reveal a rather alert looking Ferdinand Schultz, the second highest ranking man on base behind Jack himself. In an instant, Baron was on it's paws, ear back and tail tucked between his legs, a rather cute sight for the moment. "General Harper, you need to come quickly, there something you need to see." He said, in a near panting state, as if he had been running.

General Harper wasted not time rising to his feet. "What is going on, Brigadier?" He asked in a clipped tone as he rounded the desk with haste, stopping for only a second to make sure that his M1911 was on his hip. A good Shalumite officer never went anywhere without their sidearm, at least whenever possible, there were exceptions to ever rule, of course.

"It would be best if you see for yourself." Ferdinand replied as he led Jack down the hall, until they came into one of the common areas that the higher ranking officers used themselves. There were a dozen or so people already present, ranging from the rank of major to captain. The infamous Jean-Paul Valliancourt was there as well, dressed in woodland BDUs, a boonie rested atop his head, and a tactical pistol on his hip. Everyone present was paying attention to the flat screen TV that was hung up on one of the walls. As he watched with his men, he froze in surprise.

"People across the nation are horrified by the disastrous collapse of Fineberg Olympic Stadium, as hundreds are dead or injured. Among the dead are all members of the cabinet of the Interim Government, including President of the Council General Perrin Pahath-Moab.

In a rare appearance of all members of the government for the finals of the National Football Cup, a number of areas of the stands collapsed. It is believed that many of those who died did not suffer due to massive trauma inflicted and subsequent shock and death. The President of the Council, Minister of Foreign Affairs Levi Dathan, Minister of Police General Sidney Harcourt and Minister of Culture Solomon Cain were found all nearby one another having apparently died instantly."

As the television showed images of the wrecked stadium, silence lingered over the assembled marines. None of them could quite believe that Perrin, by all accounts a great leader and man, had died in such a way, but it had happened. As Jack watched, he realized that he probably needed to do something.

"Alright men, listen up." He began, earning their attention. He was their superior officer, after all. "I know this is a real shocker, but we can't just sit back. General Schultz." He addressed the Brigadier. "I know your forces on the Deadoran border are already on alert, but I want you to go ahead and put everyone else on alert for the time being. Perrin being dead could really fuck some shit up if it goes awry. Feminists, anarchist, rebels in general could see this as an opportunity to strike out. Let's not forget the nice things like coup d'etats."

Brigadier Schultz blinked. "Do you really think that someone would try something, sir?"

Jack sighed and shook his head. "I don't know, but I don't want to take any chances. For all we know, Deadora could even try and capitalize on this. It's our duty to protect New Edom, even if we're not her citizens. Hop to it." He ordered, before turning his head to look at Major Valliancourt. "Paul, I want you to make sure your boys are good to go at a moments notice. Never know when we'll need Force Recon to knock some heads around."

Jean-Paul nodded and saluted. "Hoorah General, I'll get right on it." After a pause, he added. "Do you want me to do anything about your wife's shadow detail, sir?" He inquired. It was known within the group of officers that Jack ahd two marines shadowing Camilla whenever possible. There had been concerns of New Edom's unrest, and not long after marriage, Jack had made sure that at least two men were ready to swoop in and extract her if need be.

The general shook his head. "No, but make sure they're on alert. I'm confident she's fine." He nodded. The rest of the officers quickly scurried off to find their own subordinates. Before long, the base would be operating with a new sense of alertness. "So much for peace and quiet." Jack muttered as he walked back into his officer. He plopped down and extracted a dog cookie from the jar that was adjacent to his wedding photo, tossing it to the shepherd which hadn't left vacated it's position under his desk. "Well boy, what do ya think is gonna happen?" He asked, nudging the dog.

As expected, the shepherd only gave him a curious look and wagged it's tail. "I thought as much." Jack said quietly, running a hand through his hair, before he got back to his reports. There wasn't anything he could do for the moment, after all.

Imperatorial Palace
Aragon, Shalum

Thousands of miles away in the capital of the Democratic States, the group of military and political leaders that made up the Imperator's cabinet had hastily assembled for an impromptu meeting regarding the New Edomite situation among other things. These sorts of hastily assembled meetings were no longer uncommon like they had once been, with Shalum in the state of war that she found herself in at the moment. "Gentleman, thank you for joining me on such short notice." Imperator Holland said as he took a seat at the head of the meeting hall's rectangular table. The cabinet never met in his usual office, due to it's smaller size.

"It is no problem, sir." Field Marshal Urban Holland replied demurely. He glanced around at the assembled cabinet members, knowing that very few of them were actually useful at the moment, like the Minister of Economics. She looked rather out of place among the military men, but when the cabinet was called to assemble, they all were supposed to show up, regardless of how useful they could actually be.

"Now, as I am sure you all heard, President Perrin died earlier." Tyler said, earning a few nods. "While he and I may not have had similar opinions on some things, he was still a good man who appeared to have New Edom's best interests at heart at the very least. His death, along with the others who died, leave a large opening that could be filled by a wildcard as far as we know. While what happens in New Edom politically probably won't affect us directly, it could affect our Nalayan allies, or even the troops that we have stationed on New Edom. We need to be ready for anything."

Tilting his head, Tyler eyed Steffen Richter, the Commander of the Shalumite Fleet. "This may sound like an odd query, but how soon do you think we could have a carrier group moving toward New Edomite waters?" He asked, crossing his legs.

Richter, to his credit, didn't seem too phased by the question. He simply cleared his throat and responded. "It would take a couple of days to get things underway, Imperator, but its more than possible to do. The 13th and 8th Fleets are both in port at the moment."

Imperator Holland nodded. "Put the 13th on standby, and alert Lord Admiral Greer that he may be moving back to Edom soon if need be. I hear he made friends with Admiral Rand or some shit." The Imperator grunted. "Whatever the case is, I want to have the navy ready to go. The marines are already on the ground, which is a plus. While I'm not exactly happy about it, we're already fighting one war after all, we are gonna back up our Edomite brethren if it hits the fan over there."

Everyone nodded, and the Imperator continued. "Alright, onto the next topic. How are our peacekeeping operations going in Azurlavai?"
Conscription is the vitality of a nation, the purification of its morality, and the real foundations of all its habits.

It is better to be a warrior in a garden then to be a gardener in a war.

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:23 pm

Foreign Affairs Matriarchy,
Imperial Palace North Wing

That morning was cold by Shrailleeni standards. The season of rain was well upon them now, and the sun only rarely showed its face from behind a wall of low wet clouds. The temperature had plummeted to a seasonal standard of 26 degrees celsius, and the damp and overcast weather seemed to reflect the moods of people throughout the Imperial Palace.

Foreign Minister Zattem Resbruck sat stiffly in a solemn conference room, his place at the fore of a mahogany conference table around which sat the Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs Teressa Vellan as well as the head desk officers for the entire Cornellian region. They were all upright, meticulously groomed, and utterly expressionless, in short the model for Shrailleeni politics. Together and under Zattem's leadership they were the Shrailleeni Empire's foreign policy, and on this particular day their task was more difficult than it had ever been before.

"I believe that it is becoming clear," Zattem was saying pointedly, "that the entire region is preparing for New Edom to descend into chaos."

The rest of the table watched impassively, their agreement made clear by their body language. By all accounts it was true, Shrailleeni ambassadors to several Cornellian nations reported that tensions were heightened by the recent death of Perrin Pahath-Moab and several of his Ministers. New Laconia and Constantinople were particular hives of activity, but it appeared that nations such as Draconia, Cacerta, Shalum, Noviteria, and United Valik were certainly making overtures to action. Perrin had spent a great deal of time and effort expanding New Edom's influence across the region, and now that he was gone it seemed that turmoil would be left in his wake.

"Should I advise Her Enlightened Majesty to do the same?" he finished, directing his question across the room. There was no room for silences in a Shrailleeni government meeting, all would speak their part or lose face and honor.

"It would be wisest to be prepared," Teressa agreed promptly. "Even if the Empire's forces are not required again, we cannot be caught unprepared if war were to break out once again."

"It is almost certain that other nations are preparing for action," the desk officer for the Late Roman Empire added. "Even if New Edom does not require it, Shrailleen would appear weak if not similarly prepared."

"Our intelligence in Macureus suggests that the New Macureans may seek to take advantage of the chaos to achieve their own ends. While their devices in Nekulturnya aid our Macurean Sisters, it would be prudent to suspect that the New Macs hope to operate in New Edom and Dengali. We must be on guard for them."

"So we are in accord on this? The Empire should prepare to become involved militarily?"

A silent chorus of approval met Zattem's question, and he nodded. "Very well. I will advise Her Enlightened Majesty to put Battlegroups on alert in Kurungarra. But we must also consider another matter."

"Whether the death of Perrin Pahath-Moab presents an opportunity for us," Undersecretary Teressa guessed sagely. Zattem looked her in the eyes, which caused her to drop her own gaze, but he nodded.

"Precisely. If the Empire is to advance any of our goals which have hitherto been restricted by Perrin, now would be the time to do so. The question is whether or not doing so would be wise."

"To review," the desk officer for New Edom spoke up, "we still have a large number of assets present in Gloria Regis, in the form of former Feminist leadership and membership both, as well as Feminist militia. They are currently in hiding throughout the city and are being supplied and fed through our safe houses run by our humanitarian volunteers. On the mainland, we have an opportunity to side with an opposing group against the End Times Church, whose views are caustic to international matriarchy. Finally, we potentially stand to increase our influence in Josiahstown as well."

"If things go badly, we will certainly be sending more volunteers to the country. We could insert further assets through that method," another chimed in.

"An excellent review," Zattem spoke, looking sharply around the room. "But would taking any of these actions be wise at this time? The international community will be watching New Edom quite sharply, and we have no idea what forces may begin to move on the ground. There is still a great deal of Anarchist sympathy in the country, there are the Elwe to consider, and above it all it may prove that all of this worry is for naught."

He clasped his hands in front of him, brow furrowed as he went into deep thought.

"I do not like it, we simply do not have the information that we require. At this juncture, it would be wisest to ensure the continued operation of the Council of Ministers. Is that agreed?"

It was.

"But we do not know what mechinations the monarchy, the ETC, the Elwe, or the Anarchist may be planning, to say nothing of foreign interference. We must find out. Unfortunately our Ambassador has so far had no luck in contacting any of these groups, or what is left of the Council."

"Then, in the meantime, we simply move to a military alert?"

"Indeed. Unless there are any other considerations which have not yet been mentioned?"

"Only one," the desk officer for Adiron spoke up. "There is little doubt that Adiron will attempt to take advantage of the situation to move New Edom further from the Imperium."

"Then they should be encouraged to do so," Zattem replied quickly, "as should anything that further increases relations with the Republic. I do not think that any of us wish the specter of the Imperium hanging over these events."

The room was in agreement.

"Very well. I shall report to Her Enlightened Majesty. I want the entire Matriarchy on alert for any change in the situation, and I wish to be informed immediately if any New Edomite authority contacts our Ambassador, or if the New Edomite Ambassador comes forward."
Last edited by The Shrailleeni Empire on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
أدرس اللغة العربية وهي لغة جميلة
Mother of One, Mother of All
Ask Me Anything IC
Come to the Mother's Embrace
New Edom wrote:Elizabeth Salt remarked, "It's amazing, isn't it, you rarely see modern troops that wear their 19th century uniforms and gear so well--they must drill all the time. Is this a guards outfit?"

Sif said to her, "This is a modern Shrailleeni Empire military parade. Like as in this is what they wear, this is what they use. This is it."

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:36 pm

Betharan Palace, Fineberg, New Edom

Soundtrack

Colonel Marcus Josephus walked across the checkerboard floor, his boots ringing, buttons flashing on his uniform jacket, to where the Heir and her entourage, including the King Consort and the Queen Dowager waited. He bowed deeply. "Your Highness, the Government officials requested on your behalf await you."

"Thank you Colonel." Jocasta's hair was piled into a braided crown with delicate ringlets framing her lovely face, her dark eyes deep pools, her rose petal mouth soft but her chin held firmly high, and gracefully moved forward, her rose colored gown falling softly around her curvaceous young body like light, her and there revealing hints of the tone of her high olive skin, highlighting a bare hip or curve of back and leg, the embroidery and weave around her more intimate areas delicately hinted at and hidden, her own heels making a softer clicking on the hard floor. Her entourage followed her.

Cavalry Guardsmen opened the double doors and revealed, in a room ringed with ornate carved chairs, light softly streaming in from french windows, an entourage of people robed, naked and painted, and uniformed, who stood up. Jocasta felt that many of the eyes were cold, appraising, and she wasn't pleased. Who did these people think they were?

"Your Highness," they murmured. She nodded and sat down. They sat down in response. She felt gratified by this at least--Mara had never known how to handle these people, these civil servants and officers. She did.

"I have summoned you here on my sister's behalf, first to say again--how deeply we miss the Interim Government, particularly President Pahath-Moab...who as you will all recall is...was...my mother's nephew, and my cousin. He was loved, he will be missed. He was a great hero." If occasionally a traitor..."But we have the whole people of New Edom to consider. The funerals of he and the others who died are being planned, yes Bishop Zecharias?"

"Oh yes, Highness" said the Bishop softly. He had a kind face, like a wise old cat's. She liked him He was also Chief Justice. At least he had not died, and he was Apostolic, not an ETC fanatic.

"Good I...where is the Prophet Under?" she asked, looking around.

"He er, left the city, apparently intending to go into retreat to pray and reflect before resuming public life," said Bishop Zecharias.

"I see. He shoud lhave come here first, but he is an eccentric," said Jocasta. "No matter. Who is next in government succession?"

"Properly speaking as it was an Interim Government, Highness, there isn't one," said Bishop Zecharias.

"We should hold elections," said Dr. Amon Ashren brightly. To Jocasta's amazement, they acted like it was some kind of open forum.

"No, General Benajah is actually next in succession, it was a military government," said Undersecretary Colleen Fish. "As a temporary measure. But we should also wait for the Prophet to return to convene the Five Churches. It is God who creates rulers."

"And once created, they rule," said Bishop Zecharias. "Is that not so? Highness, I'm afraid that you will have to appoint a provisional government while the constitution is considered--no one anticipated this."

several heads turned, the chairs even squeaked. "I don't think that's regular at all," said Elizabeth Corbulo. "I'm not sure that..."

"I am the Head of State--for my sister's behalf while she is incapacitated, and as the constitution stated," Jocasta said, remembering what Dr. Aphek had taught her, "I must take such measure. After which I will of course give all consideration to the constitutional matters. I charge all of you to see to it that there is a clear plan for succession of lawful government, but in the meantime, we have to have people to make decisions."

General Benajah and Marcus Cotta she could see with pity were so bowed with grief that they would be no helpk. She however had made a decision. "For President of the Council, no one can replace Perrin Pahath-Moab, he was so above other people. And we cannot have someone controversial. We need someone stable and wise." She had privately been consulting her mother and her entourage and had come up with a solution "I think none could be more suitable than a former President of the Council of Ministers: Count Samuel Beroth."

There was a silence. Colleen Fish squinted. "Who?"

Bishop Zecharias frowned and seemed to be thinking. He said, "Didn't he die years ago?"

Jocasta said, "No no, he's quite well. He did not die, by illness nor violence. He has been living a quiet life on his farm..."

Her entourage gasped as Paul Gath interrupted her. "Highness, this is all very well but Her Majesty is not officially incapacitated."

Colonel Josephus snapped, "Mr. Undersecretary, you are speaking over the Heir. I remind you that she is acting in capacity of head of state of this country."

"I am aware of that, Colonel." the Undersecretary of Health began to respond angrily, but was interrupted himself by the lanky tall Peter Misabel, the Deputy Attorney-General. "Properly speaking," Misabel said, "At the moment Her Highness has in fact been given that capacity. It is for Her Majesty to contradict her, I'm afraid."

"What are...what's his name again?" asked Elizabeth Corbulo.

"Samuel Beroth. Count Samuel Beroth," said Dr. Aphek, ignoring the hostile glares he was given by nearly everyone from the civil service and military present, "Was nominated President of the Council during the last year of King Josias II's reign following the fall of the New Day Party, to help with the transition. He served as head of government for a year, which was blessedly without incident and which enabled smooth transition to King Mark's government."

"What did he do before that?" demanded Colleen Fish looking incredulous.

"He had served as Governor of Teman Province in 1976, and as Marshal of the Nobility of Bara from 1986-1995, and was after that Director of Mines and Materials for Haran Province until 1998 when he was nominated President of the Council of Ministers," replied Dr. Aphek

"How old is he?" said Paul Gath.

"He's a very hale and hearty 78," replied Dr. Aphek.

Jocasta said, looking at all of them, "I will appointed Count Samuel Beroth as President of the Council of Ministers. I realize he has not been in government for a few years--" she took a deep breath, ignoring some of their mutterings and rude remarks, "And therefore I am recommending my cousin Prince Elijah as Minister of Defense, my good friend Dr. Aphek to be Minister of Foreign Affairs--" she had to wait for Josephus to thunder for silence, so great was the outcry, "And I wish to recall my beloved cousin, Thomas Lalery, to be Minister of Finance."

Colleen Fish shot to her feet. "You're out of your mind, Princess. You can't..Prince Elijah is one thing, I admit he is a man of ability, but you cannot do this thing!"

"Can I not?" Jocasta said to her. What a nasty woman, all skinny, naked, painted half blue and half white, her eyes blazing with zeal. "Bishop Zecharias, Mr. Misabel, can I?"

Misabel sighed. "She can, Colleen. Let it go."

Colleen Fish sat down, simmering. "I will say one thing: Queen Mara has always been good to the people. I remember her weeping for refugees, her work with the agricultural reform, but she also always heard the advice of experts. I will accept this under protest, grave protest."

"And I," said several others, including Gath, Corbulo, and Ashren.

"However these are...temporary, yes? The Test Elections are still going on, but we have a model we like, and it has been well publicized," Dr. Ashren pointed out in a friendly way. "So I would l ike to recommend that we submit a full report on this to Your Highness. I think that Her highness is wise to have a provisional government immediately in place."

General Ashdod looked sick. "Yes, i heartily agree. Prince Elijah...yes...but who will command in Dengali then?"

"Oh..." Jocasta felt perturbed a moment. "Yes...yes...who...?"

“General Solomon Barak,” said a raven haired sharp faced female general officer, wearing a tailored Air Force parade uniform on her slim figure. “He is the commander of the ground forces, Highness. Appoint him to replace Prince Elijah.”

“Thank you General,” said Jocasta with relief. “I declare that Dengali shall be defended, and appoint General Barak as commander of forces in Dengali.”

She left them in a state of clamour, and as her mother was contratulating her, “Just as I had said, you needed to put them in their place my honey, I’m so proud of you—“

“Mama, I’m so grateful for all the help but honestly—I just HAVE to pee, I’ve been burstsing the whole time!” Jocasta exclaimed before she ran for a washroom, Camilla and Delphinia trailing behind her.

From Royal Highness, Crown Princess Jocasta Obed, on behalf of Her Royal Majesty, Queen Mara Obed I of New Edom
Col. Stylianos Mantarakis (Ret.), President of Exalted Draconia

Your Excellency

Thank you very much for your condolences. We will mourn deeply all the losses, but most particularly that of General Perrin Pahath-Moab, a great hero, a great friend of the people and my cousin, of course. He will be deeply missed.

It seems only a short time ago that you and I were corresponding about what a blessing he is. He has left a large place to fill. On behalf of my people and my family, I thank you for your heartfelt message and deeply and warmly renew our friendship.

in friendship,
Crown Princess Jocasta

To: David Redstone, Ambassador to New Edom
From: Elizabeth Corbulo, Undersecretary for Cornellian Affairs
Subject: Change of Government
Encryption: Delivered in sealed package to embassy

Dear Mr. Ambassador

I unashamedly wept on receiving your letter. I know Levi Dathan was your friend, as he was a friend and mentor to me. In his passing we lost a man who was of extraordinary ability, who was one of a succession of good foreign ministers, but I believe he was the best. He was also a good man, a man who in spite of an unhappy personal life did his best for his family and his country. He will be sorely missed.

I would like to answer your questions as succinctly as possible.

1. Count Samuel Beroth has been appointed Provisional President of the Council of Ministers. The other key positions filled are Vice-Admiral Prince Elijah Shalmaneser as Minister of Defense, Count Thomas Lalery as Minister of Finance, and Dr. Paul Aphek as Minister of Foreign Affairs.

2 The Test Elections have resulted in a generally satisfactory set of ideas of how to run elections and the basis for establishing elected government; it has been proposed by Dr. Amon Ashren, myself and Undersecretary Fish that elections be carried out shortly after the funeral arrangements are complete.

Power plants and major communications centers are being given extra security; government leaders are being protected; our border with Deadora is on alert but in communication with them we have assured them that our detente is intact. There is at this time no reason to doubt any of our committments overseas. There has thus far been no unrest.

3. We feel that there is no danger to people in NGOs or companies, tourists or other traelers in New Edom. However you will be the first to know outside this office if there are concerns, I assure you.

It is written, blessed are they who mourn, for they shall be comforted. If you will pardon this phrase from a foolish grief stricken Leck woman.

In friendship and in mourning,

Elizabeth Corbulo, Undersecretary.

Arbites
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arbites » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:45 pm

Arbiter Embassy
Fineberg, New Edom

The embassy was in something of a panic. Most of the aides and attaches were making worried phone calls, rifling through papers looking for contact information. There was little direction from Magus Civitas, because their official representative was exactly the problem: he was missing. The problem wasn't necessarily that his whereabouts were unknown, however. Ambassador Lee had very specifically told the embassy where he was going.

He had specifically told them he was going to the National Football Cup finals in the Fineberg Olympic Stadium. Not only that, he'd be in the same section as the President, Foreign Minister, and the rest of the Cabinet.

Worse, the Ambassador's wife Samantha was demanding to speak to her husband. The first time they simply tried not to give details, a simple "Let me go check...I'm sorry ma'am, he's not in right now. We'll let you know." Then the second call came an hour later. She had tried his personal number several times now, no response. The embassy staff apologized, but he was out still.

The third call was the worst. This time Samantha was distraught, she had apparently neglected her email for about a week, and finally found a notice from her husband saying he was going to the National Football Cup. Despite the beleaguered staff's effort to calm her down, she painfully read the last words of the email. 'Wish you were here.' At that point she started bawling her eyes out, convinced her husband was dead.

Samantha was recalling the story of how she first met Jacob to the hapless aide on the phone when a black Edomite government Chaika pulled up to the gates. As the door swung open, the entire embassy staff began murmuring prayers. Some froze right in the middle of whatever they were doing and just stared. Even Dalgaard seemed roused from his typically stoic nature.

Ambassador Lee was walking in the door. He was filthy. His suit was wrinkled and covered in a layer of white dust, his skin was caked with the same. One of his sleeves was rolled up, a bandage applied where blood seeped through. When he coughed, it shook small clouds of dust loose from his hair and clothing. His eyes were bloodshot, and had a haunted look about them.

"Ambassador!" the aide on the phone said. Samantha was inconsolable again, so she didn't hear him say it.

Lee looked over at him vaguely, not saying anything, wearing a closed-mouthed stare. "Ambassador, it's your wife! She thinks you're dead! By the Emperor, talk to her!"

The Ambassador seemed to stir, but didn't seem to be able to move any faster than a brisk walk. Taking the receiver, the staff looked on, having finally been able to stop their frantic search.

"Honey, honey it's me," Lee said drily.

"What?" Sam said, sniffling loudly. "Jake? Jake?! Jake! Oh God...oh God..." she said as she suddenly started sobbing for entirely different reasons.

"Sam, I'm here. I'm still here..."

"DON'T EVER DO THAT TO ME AGAIN!" she screamed, loud enough for a few people around the phone to hear.

"I won't. I saw...I saw..." Jacob stammered.

"What? Oh Jake, the President! Struck down in such a way! The Emperor called him home..." Sam said, starting to compose herself.

"I was there. I was...next to Colonel Cain. I was speaking to him about the last football match, he started talking about some book. Football for Retards," he rambled.

"Jake..."

"I left. It was hot. You know how it is here. I left the stands for some water, I remember looking back at them all...one last time. Then...then..."

"Honey, the Emperor protects. He saved you for all you've done in His name," Sam tried to reassure him.

"Bodies. Blood. Screams...screams from people...trapped in the rubble," he said, his voice cracking. "Then they'd just...stop..." Lee was breathing hard now, trembling, gritting his teeth.

"Jake...Jake...come home. Come home to us..." Sam cooed gently, before sniffling again at her husband's anguish.

Glancing around at the staff, he saw them all looking at him expectantly. "I...the Emperor has spared me for a reason. I must remain. I must...prove myself worthy of His mercy."
Last edited by Arbites on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He who stands with me shall be my brother

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:10 am

Ron's

John Kohath, that homely and lanky man, unromantic, dark hair coiffed neatly, in a three piece tropical suit of worn make as though he was any down at heel moderately wealthy person in the area, showed up with a newspaper under his arm, a bit of five o clock shadow and an air of jauntiness. He was whistling, and humming occasionally, a popular song.

To everything, turn, turn, turn, there is a season, turn turn turn...and a time to every purpose under heaven...

and he went and sat at his usual table, and ordered a cognac and some water, and sat as though he had all the time in the world, a man with enough money to drift his years away in a poor country where a man who might be heavily in debt and working like slave in a foreign nation might live like a baron here.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:41 am

Glasstower, New Edom

Candles flickered in the twilight on many streets in Glasstower--even though many of those streets were just hard packed dirt.

"Who called them?" muttered Elder Brother Ephraim, looking down from his balcony, candelight gleaming off his glasses as he stared down at the gathering crowds, overwhemingly of young people, few older than sixteen or seventeen.

"I don't know, sir," replied his secretary. Windows and doors opened, as the youthful crowd, from children to teens, but with many adults joining them, including aid workers, younger clergy, teachers, and co-workers. There was a strange murmuring--a blend of whispered prayers and weeping.

Even non-Edenists shed clothing to be with them. General Pahath-Moab had never been an Edenist, but he had been a friend to all here. He had worked tirelessly with foreign NGOs to bring in resources, provided security for them, had emptied his own pockets when needs be. He and the Queen had done so. There was a famous picture known mostly to people in northern Bara of the Queen with a child touching her tears as she knelt to embrace him.

Pictures of the President passed among the mourners, and they sang a soft hymn of their own composing to him, with words simple enough to be easily learned which made the rounds of the camps, the streets and hovels of the slowly recovering city.

Let the night never cease to call you
Let the day nevermore be the same
Though you've gone where we cannot find you
In each heart you have set your name

Perrin you were our hero
And long may your name be sung
Through kingdoms of starlight
And realms of the sun
Perrin though you are hidden
We're still guided by your light
You're walking beside us
A friend in the night

We were lost when the dark descended
And the light gathered into a storm
You appeared like a sunlit morning
At the winds of a world at war

Now Perrin you are gone from us
And long may your name be sung
Through kingdoms of starlight
And realms of the sun
Perrin though you are hidden
We're still guided by your light
You're walking beside us
A friend in the night

Perrin rising through the shadow
Like a star shining deep in its home
You will dwell in our hearts forever
Nevermore will we stand alone

Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:46 am

Betharan Palace
Fineberg, New Edom

Michael of Dakmoor was a part of Jocasta's entourage, along with Rebecca Pahath-Moab. To lose her husband, then her nephew, so on and so forth...must have been hard. Poor woman...does she know anything other than tragedy?

Across the checkerboard floor, Colonel Marcus Josephus came to let Jocasta know that the government officials were wanting to meet with her. When they went through the double doors to where they were meeting, there was a wide assortment of people who stood up. Michael noticed their judging eyes. Then he sat down after the others did, following Jocasta's lead, and then the conversation began.

His plan was to watch and listen, and jot down mental notes that he could talk to Jocasta about later. This was her chance to shine, and Michael was content to let her flex a little bit. Michael had hoped that Jocasta would name Elijah Shalamanser as President of the Council of Ministers. He would be in for a surprise though.

Jocasta spoke. "For President of the Council, no one can replace Perrin Pahath-Moab, he was so above other people. And we cannot have someone controversial. We need someone stable and wise." She had privately been consulting her mother and her entourage and had come up with a solution "I think none could be more suitable than a former President of the Council of Ministers: Count Samuel Beroth."

Michael's reaction was to tilt his head to the side. ...Who the fuck is that?

When others began to wonder, Dr. Aphek explained. "Was nominated President of the Council during the last year of King Josias II's reign following the fall of the New Day Party, to help with the transition. He served as head of government for a year, which was blessedly without incident and which enabled smooth transition to King Mark's government."

Apparently, it was also revealed that he was seasoned in government posts, and was 78 years old, living discreetly on a farm...waiting to die.

And then came Jocasta's other appointments. "I will appointed Count Samuel Beroth as President of the Council of Ministers. I realize he has not been in government for a few years...and therefore I am recommending my cousin Prince Elijah as Minister of Defense, my good friend Dr. Aphek to be Minister of Foreign Affairs--" she had to wait for Josephus to thunder for silence, so great was the outcry, "And I wish to recall my beloved cousin, Thomas Lalery, to be Minister of Finance."

Michael nodded along. Elijah for Minister of Defense...solid choice. He would have been Michael's choice for President, but alas it was good to see him in government in an increased capacity. Dr. Aphek...doesn't seem that bad. Others in the room seemed to disagree. The last choice...that one was interesting. Lalery as Minister of Finance. It will be good to go out to the strip clubs with him again...intelligent and charismatic as he may be. It didn't go unnoticed to Michael that these appointments were all people with close ties to the monarchy. Good, Jocasta is reminding the country of the rightful place that the monarchy has in government and society.

It wasn't without protest though, it seemed, as there was uproar. In that moment that people were bitching and moaning, Michael noticed Rebecca speak to Jocasta.

“Just as I had said, you needed to put them in their place my honey, I’m so proud of you..."

Michael smirked. And put them in their place you did...but at what cost? He knew that New Edom was a tumultuous country, a powder keg set to explode if ignited. He thought he could see what was going on...consolidation of monarchists in government, perhaps...but wouldn't that also alienate those from the other factions? And without the specter of Perrin looming over them all, who was to say that they wouldn't be at each other's throats soon enough? ...This could be bad.

“Mama, I’m so grateful for all the help but honestly—I just HAVE to pee, I’ve been bursting the whole time!” Jocasta exclaimed before she ran for a washroom, Camilla and Delphinia trailing behind her.

Michael approached his mother-in-law. "Well, what do you think about all that? It seems like...people are a bit miffed over the choices made today." Miffed could possibly have been an understatement. More like pissed off as all hell.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

Cacerta
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Cacerta » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:00 am

Fineberg, New Edom
Rebecca Mendel made her way through the streets of Fineberg, moving through the crowds, making quiet observations, and blending in as she had always done before. Her giant coke-bottle glasses and plain outfits had always helped to mask her away from curious glances. It allowed her to pay attention to all the details of her surroundings and the environment that enveloped her. Being a wallflower certainly had its perks for someone as visual as Rebecca -- who loved to live and breath as nothing more than part of the setting. Especially when they were quietly reporting to someone else.

In truth, Rebecca Mendel was nothing more than an artificial name for a cover. Her real name was Ada Tolini, a deep cover SISMI agent that had been embedded into the Allied States for the past several years. Having undergone a long-winded selection process and training unheard of in the Kingdom, everything about her outward appearance in New Edom was nothing more than a facade -- misdirection. She was one of many indirect lines of intelligence for the Kingdom's cloak a dagger branches, feeding information through encrypted disguised e-mails in a form of textual code most other agencies have deemed obsolete.

The last several days had been the most active she had been in her years in the Allied States. And -- although she appreciated the work -- she already missed the quiet afternoon time she used to spend drinking a fizzy water and watching people pass by. There were a number of issues in the succession for Perrin's government and Princess Jocasta's recent appointments will very likely cause considerable infighting. With Queen Mara clearly indisposed, the responsibilities of government were falling on her sister's shoulders.

And then the quieter underground whispered that the ETC was preparing to make their move. No doubt the other factions had it in mind that this as an opportunity to get a foothold somewhere. As unconfirmed information, Ada made sure that her handlers in the Kingdom understood that she currently had no solid grounding for rumors -- yet it was too important to omit from her communique. She emphasized that it would be her primary focus.

The chessboard had been set and the timer was already ticking.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents