NATION

PASSWORD

The Hornero and The Condor [Earth II]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Layarteb
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Layarteb » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:32 am

"As I see it and as has been communicated to me," Castillo said, "it's more of a favor to your own networks. You can lead a horse to water and though you cannot make him drink, you can certainly trick him into it. Consider the Mato Grossans the horse." Felix might have wondered where Castillo was going with this and he let him think about it for a moment while he refilled his glass of wine. "As has been communicated to me, to pass to you but not to the Mato Grossans, should they desire to return to their past behaviors, the full brunt of the Layartebian war machine would put a final end to the country, their notions of independence, and whatever insurrectionist dreams they could have. As I've said, we fought once there and we don't wish to do so again. The next time it won't be as much of a fight as it will be a steamroller moving through the jungle with only the borders of Mato Grosso as its boundaries. Everything inside of it, regardless of ownership is at risk."
Last edited by Layarteb on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're interested in the longest running, Earth-based, MT RP community, consider joining Earth II today
Earth II Moderator | Earth II Discord | Member of The October Alliance
Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •
• The Empire of Columbia •

Marimaia
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Marimaia » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:00 pm

Felix refilled his own glass and took a drink.

"That's some fancy rhetoric there, Ambassador. It's just as well that it isn't for the ears of the Mato Grossans, because if they heard that then they'd attack you in a heartbeat. I'll make sure that the 'message' is less adversarial, along the lines of 'the Layartebians have no quarrel with you unless you create one yourselves'. Besides, they have yet to become independent again, so I'd imagine that dealing with the RSA's occupation of their territory is top of their agenda at present. I would also think that their stance towards you and their other neighbours relies on whichever firebrand emerges as their leader. If it's Rafael, then I just have one opinion on that."

He made an elaborate gesture to demonstrate his head exploding. "That's my mind being blown, not me saying that he needs assassinating. You guys probably think differently on that matter. He'd be their perfect leader, just not as far as the Empire is concerned. I've never actually met him, but I've heard the stories. Of course if he proves to be bad for business then maybe he will need assassinating. Unfortunately you and I both know that the Mato Grossans would automatically blame the Empire in that scenario.

"Provided that all the hypotheticals turn out to be true and we end up with an independent Mato Grosso led by Rafael Pinto Fernandes, I would do my best to arrange a meeting with him. Who knows, he might just listen if afforded the proper respect that he believes he deserves."

Layarteb
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Layarteb » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:56 pm

"This is indeed one of those unique situations where what's good for your business - in reference to Mato Grosso - is also good for the Empire. A non-aggressive Cuiabá is good for everyone. President Lobo will be looking at Mato Grosso as well and while we don't believe that Brazil will make a move for this particular territory, as that has been the main push from President Lobo in dealing with the territory, should they get too belligerent, they might become a problem for everyone.

"With that in mind I must thank you personally for your help with Mato Grosso. While I cannot give you any assurances that one day my government would work with your organization I can affirm you to that we will continue to honor our end of the commitment as well. South America is at a crossroads with this war between La Plata and La Paz. It is a scenario that can be win-win for the Empire, for President Velasquez, for you, for Brazil, and for Mato Grosso. Of course, real life does not have a fairytale ending to it but if we all cooperate together, we can get as close to one as reality allows."
Castillo said, finishing with a smile. He'd obtained what Felix wanted Bolivia for, confirming that the coca production throughout the world was going to soon spike - a problem to be dealt with tomorrow. He confirmed that he would assist on keeping Mato Grosso, at the very least, hateful of the Empire and not hateful and belligerent towards the Empire. Castillo found a good reception and the food worked out to be exquisite, as he would have come to expect from the Hotel Imperio.

Felix's secret remained with the Empire and of course his own henchmen in the Platinean government. Everything else was a topic for another time, another place, and another person, or so Castillo hoped. He didn't like being a spy of sorts, he was a diplomat but he had to accept the harsh reality of the matter. Felix would likely be uncomfortable with any other Layartebian.
If you're interested in the longest running, Earth-based, MT RP community, consider joining Earth II today
Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •

Marimaia
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Marimaia » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:54 pm

Felix displayed a broad Cheshire Cat grin as Castillo finished speaking.

"As you say, we can all win from this imminent war. I know that your government would have to undergo a policy shift of seismic proportions to truly work with me and my organisation, but I think our current arrangement works well enough for both parties."

He looked at his glinting golden watch and raised an eyebrow. "Hmm, it's getting late and we're both going to have quite a hectic day tomorrow. Believe me, you're going to want to get some sleep before your aides come running in, shouting that war has officially broken out. As for myself, I'm going to need some sleep before Matías gets back, charges in and orders me to let him stay in Buenos Aires with me. Anyway, it's unfortunate that we didn't get round to dessert but I'll have someone give you a few slices of the chocotorta when you get down to the lobby. It'll keep for a couple of days in the refrigerator, and it might be nice as a snack if you've got a briefing or whatever.

"Oh, that reminds me. Defense Minister Miranda spoke to some guys from the Apilonian embassy about their naval station or something like that, so rest assured that the Platinean military are taking every possible precaution to avoid targeting anyone who doesn't deserve it. Just in case your staff had a panic about the Apilonians being in the firing line."

He extended his hand.

"Goodnight to you Ambassador. Oh, you know what, bring a friend next time. If you bring a lady friend, I'll bring Matías and we can make it a double date!"

Layarteb
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Layarteb » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:29 pm

Just before he left, Castillo shook Felix's hand and asked, "How long do we have?" Meaning, when will the war start.
Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •

Marimaia
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Marimaia » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:01 pm

Layarteb wrote:Just before he left, Castillo shook Felix's hand and asked, "How long do we have?" Meaning, when will the war start.

"From what the Defense Minister was telling me earlier, I'd say about nine, maybe ten hours. If the troops they had performing exercises across the border don't have decent anti-air in place, well-"

Felix whistled to represent bombs dropping.

"I'd recommend watching Canal 9 News, they've been practising their patriotic fervour and it's going to be something to remember."

Layarteb
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Layarteb » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:58 pm

March 8, 2015 - 22:00 hrs [UTC-3]
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Layartebian Embassy

(34° 34' 35" S, 58° 25' 7" W)

Ambassador Castillo swept into not his office but rather the intelligence section of the embassy. "You have nine or ten hours before this war kicks off," he said to Alphonse.

"That soon?"

"That soon."

"What else did he say?"

"He confirmed our suspicions about the coca fields in Bolivia."

"Son of a bitch,"
Alphonse cursed aloud in his office though no one would hear it but him and Ambassador Castillo. "What about Mato Grosso?"

"I'm not hopeful but he'll convey the message."

"All right, let's run this one up the chain as fast as we possibly can. Things are liable to get very dicey in the next few hours and we're going to have a lot of work to do in the meantime. You'd better write out your full report as fast as you can before you forget it and before bombs start falling in La Paz."
Alphonse went to the communications terminal outside, made his report, and immediately swept back to his office. He pulled out a fifty year old bottle of scotch and poured two glasses, one for him and one for the ambassador. "Smoke?"

"I think I will tonight."

"Cheers mate,"
Alphonse said as he sipped the smooth, velveteen scotch. "I only drink from this bottle when shit is about to go south. This is now the third time I've drunk from this bottle."

"What were the other two?"

"Classified but let's just say they were hairy. I don't know what La Paz plans to do about Buenos Aires but I can bet you right now, what we have to do is secure this embassy and everyone inside of it. We cannot alert anyone outside yet but we need to recall everyone we possibly can."

"Dial Henry, we'll call him from here."
A few seconds later, Henry Quesada, the embassy's head of security was on the other line. "Henry it's Marcos. We have a full blown crisis on our hands. As quietly as we can, without tipping our hand, we need to initiate a full recall and lockdown and we only have about eight hours to do it. Tell me it can be done Henry." The line was quiet for a few moments, an uncomfortable quiet while Henry calculated all of the variables involved in such a hasty order. When he came back to say that it was doable and he'd have time to spare, Ambassador Marcos Castillo breathed a simple sigh of relief.
Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •

Layarteb
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Layarteb » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:00 pm

March 9, 2015 - 05:00 hrs [UTC-4]
Brasileia, Acre
1740th Tank Battalion (Guards) HQ

(11° 1' 24" S, 68° 41' 24" W)

Lieutenant Colonel Max J. Towers was responsible for five hundred and fifty men, if he dared to include himself in the total. As the commanding officer of the 1740th Tank Battalion (Guards) of the 656th Guards Regiment in the 226th Guards Brigade of the 57th Cavalry Division (Guards), LTC Towers was as close to the frontline as anyone could get save for the infantrymen holding the border between northern Bolivia and the Layartebian state of Acre. Brasileia had gone from a rather small border town with only a battalion of infantrymen to a massive military camp for the 57th Cavalry Division (Guards) of the Imperial Layartebian Defense Force and the 92nd Cavalry Division of the Imperial Layartebian Army. Over fifty-seven thousand Layartebian troops now occupied the area surrounding the border town and several square miles behind it and they were all directed at Cobija, home to the RSA's 1st Cavalry Division (Air), an elite unit.

LTC Towers' unit was small and mobile, the very definition of a tank unit. He had four armored companies under him, each with twenty light battle tanks, two command APCs, a medevac APC, two resupply APCs, and one armored recovery vehicle. Each company consisted of only ninety men and they were named Able, Baker, Charlie, and Dog after the old phonetic alphabet. His headquarters element consisted of one hundred and ninety men but included in that was a 60-man reconnaissance company with four infantry and four cavalry fighting vehicles and a 32-man anti-tank platoon with four anti-tank APCs and four tank destroyer APCs. One hundred and ninety-eight men made up his battalion's HHC division and arrayed around him at this early hour of the morning were all of his company commanders, the various HHC department heads, and most of the company's twenty-three platoon leaders.

"Good morning men, it's not my pleasure to wake you all up so early this morning but command has passed down the good word, war is inevitable between La Paz and Buenos Aires. If it hasn't already begun it will within the next few hours. We anticipated a daylight start to this conflict and we might just get it. We'll start seeing light in the next half hour and sunrise is an hour and a half away at 06:38.

"If war does break out this morning, today is going to be a very long day. Command has yet to say whether we're invading Bolivia or not but I have to deduce that we will. You don't just put four hundred thousand men into a theater to pull them out and cite an 'exercise' right?"
Agreement filtered in from the crowd of assembled officers. "Despite the fact that the army has their men on the border, we're the tip of the spear if command sends us into Cobija. This battalion, along with the rest of the regiment will be spearheading the invasion into Cobija.

"It's not a particularly big city so we're going to be bumping into one another there soon enough, which is why the city has been broken into three sectors. North Sector is everything from the stadium north along this Avenue of May 27th. I don't know why they can't have normal street names but this is significant to them. This is the responsibility of the 1741st, not us. Central Sector is going to cover everything south of that demarcation up to Acre Avenue, which runs to the airport. This is our sector and that includes the airport. South Sector is everything south and that's for the 1742nd. The 1741st gets the main border defenses, we get the rear guard, and 1742nd gets the HQ targets and that's just how it's rolled down the pipe.

"RSA forces are elite gentlemen. This division distinguished itself time and time again so you can bet they'll counter effectively. Be on the lookout for anti-tank teams and for mines, these are your biggest threats. The RSA's 1st Cavalry Division (Air) doesn't use anything heavier than the LAV-25 but that doesn't mean you shouldn't ignore the vehicle, they can mount anti-tank missiles and there is an air defense variant with a 25-millimeter Gatling gun. If you see one of these put an AP run through it immediately.

"The air component is equipped with attack and utility helicopters. It will be up to the air force to neutralize these before we get across the border but don't fall asleep at the wheel. If you see helicopters airborne that aren't ours you call it in right away. Don't engage them unless you get authorization, the air force is going to be flying all over the place and so is the army. I don't want to see one of our helicopters taken down because someone decided they were an anti-aircraft platform and not a tank.

"Now, the recon guys are going in ahead of us. They'll move over the border ten and a half klicks south-southeast from the airport and cross over rural roads moving northward. Their job is to get eyes on the crossroads at Floresta. Set up a defensive position and hold the crossroads. This will prevent reinforcements coming up routes 13 and 18. Other units are going to move up to Vermelho and another junction nine klicks northwest of Floresta. We don't anticipate much in the way of reinforcements extra up Route 13, which runs to Porvenir. The bulk of the RSA's troops are located in Cobija itself.

"The terrain is rough and it's unforgiving. The Pando Department is as rural as rural gets and as inaccessible as inaccessible gets, which is why the RSA has their men here in Cobija. It's one of the few cities in the department and the capital of Pando. The population is just over fifty-five thousand so there are a lot of civilians around, try not to shoot them up and by that I mean try really hard. We don't expect the RSA to use them as shields but if they do, find an alternative to going cyclic on an MG.

"Now onto the weather, it's hot and humid and tropical. That's right it's the rainy season. I doubt we're going to be still on our side of the border by the time we hit the dry season months from now. Outside of this, make sure you take your medkits with you and keep taking your doses of anti-virals and anti-malarials. Mosquitos are sons of bitches and just as deadly here as bullets are. If I hear about any of you getting yellow fever or malaria you're going to have a lot more to deal with than just the diseases."
Last edited by Layarteb on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •

Marimaia
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Marimaia » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:57 am

March 9, 2015, 06:00hrs [UTC-3]
Platinean-RSA Border

Felix proved to be rather accurate with his timing estimate, as Platinean forces actually crossed the border with the Republic of South America in the early hours of March 9th. Despite previous protestations about having nothing in common with the previous Bavinese regime, President Velasquez and his technocratic government had done very little to scale back the heavy militarisation that they had inherited. As a result, it was no mere trickle of troops across the border, but rather something more akin to a rising tide.

The Southern Marine Battalion crossed into the Magallanes Region in conjunction with the 18th Division, their primary objective being the city of Punta Arenas and its naval base which hosted the RSA's Southern Response Squadron; taking their objective would (according to the strategic planners) not only hinder the RSA's naval response in the south but also provide the 18th Division with a location from which to sweep upwards into the Aysén Region. As two of the least populated regions of the RSA, it was believed that Magallanes and Aysén would be easier to handle. Their job would not be an easy one though. Their opposition would consist of the 3rd Air Cavalry Division based out of Punta Arenas and the 8th Infantry Division based out of Coihaique. Air supremacy would be contested between the RSA's 6th Fighter Wing operating out of Punta Arenas and the Platinean Southern Air Command based in Rio Gallegos.

On the northern border, the Platinean Northern Air Command were under orders to help the 12th Division in securing the San Roque González de Santa Cruz Bridge. This was in response to early reports that the RSA had secured the San Ignacio de Loyola International Bridge not long after Velasquez's brush with mortality, due to its proximity to the strategically important city of Asunción. The mechanised elements of the 1st Division were soon to be joined by the 15th Division opposite the San Ignacio de Loyola International Bridge and they would be tasked with attempting to acquire the bridge for Platinean forces. The 16th and 17th Divisions had intially been moving to join up with the 15th, but a hasty redeployment order now saw them changing direction to join up with the 12th. However, the 16th and 17th Divisions would undoubtedly need at least a couple of days to reach their new destination. In this area of the fighting, the RSA would be utilising the 2nd Fighter Wing from Asunción AFB and on the ground, the 1st Armoured Infantry Division also based in Asunción.

The central areas of Chile were also a target. The Rapid Deployment Force had been successful in landing paratroops just across the border in Bío Bío Region earlier that morning, and they had acted in unison with the rest of the Rapid Deployment Force to seize Pichachen Pass, one of the few established border crossings into central Chile. The pass still needed to be secured properly, but if that was achieved then Platinean forces would have a proper gateway into RSA territory. If the San Roque González de Santa Cruz Bridge could not be secured then the best way for Platinean forces to continue would be pushing up through Chile, and holding Pichachen Pass would make such a prospect a little easier.

At present actual fighting had consisted solely of the brief combat over Pichachen Pass, but things were undoubtedly going to get much harder. One border crossing would be nothing compared to the potential urban warfare over the RSA's major cities.

Layarteb
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Layarteb » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:23 pm

March 9, 2015 - 06:00 hrs [UTC-5]
Layarteb City, New York
Fortress of Comhghall

(40° 41' 28" N, 74° 0' 58" W)

"Our man was dead on accurate," Chairman-General Barnes said through sleepy eyes and a cup of coffee that hovered near his lips. Down in the War Room deep underneath the Fortress of Comhghall, he and the rest of the National Security Council had gathered in the predawn hours to commence discussions once the war between the RSA and La Plata began. It had now begun.

"I object strongly Chairman-General to calling Felix Elizondo, the biggest drug lord in the Western Hemisphere as 'our man', do you understand?" The Emperor snapped, "The man is a stain upon civilized society and he is not nor will he ever be 'our man'."

"Yes sir, my apologies."

"Good, now what update can we receive now that the shooting was finally begun?"

"Sir,"
the Minister Flores of Intelligence beckoned, "the Platineans took full advantage of their larger size and invaded the RSA at three points, which will severely split the RSA's troops. In the southern portion of Chile, they invaded the Magallanes Region, which will put them in direct contact with the RSA's 3rd Cavalry Division (Air) and their 8th Infantry Division. They went in with a single division but they have the advantage of their other invasion points. In Central Chile, they moved over the border Alto Bío Bío National Reserve and they are pushing towards a point known as the Pichachen Pass, one of the few passable routes over the border. They moved into it with a highly mobile force. It would appear that they are aiming to isolate the southern Chilean regions from reinforcements to conquer them and provide a foothold for northern invasion routes through the rest of Chile.

"It makes sense sir as these areas are not as heavily populated as the northern regions. That provides the Platineans with less resistance than they would face otherwise. It's a smart move sir. These however, appear to be secondary fronts. Based only on the number of troops the Platineans used and the type of equipment, these troops are likely meant to tax the resources of La Paz and give its military planners something to worry about rather than solely the main attack.

"That attack came near Asunción, where the Platineans have at least five divisions ready to go to battle. Based on satellite reconnaissance, it would appear that their main objectives are a number of bridges that span the Paraguay River. Once these are secured, the Platineans can move their forces into Paraguay and push into Paraguay's eastern portion and isolate it from the rest of the main battle force."

"So now the question stands, do we get involved?"

"Sir, I believe we should but we have already taken several votes on this matter. The standing vote is to wait this one out for a little longer. We need to see just what kind of warfare the Platineans wage. There is little difference in the Platinean military than there was in the Bavinese military except their leadership,"
said Minister Sanders of Defense.

"Yes we have Minister and that is right, we are sitting this one out for now. The majority of our forces along Bolivia are ready though, am I correct?" A head nod came, "Then we are poised to resist if La Paz is dumb enough to want a four or a five front war, which I doubt they want. Continue our stance along the border."

"Sir, what if the leadership of La Paz flees across into Peru? It is the closest route for them to go. We haven't discussed this possibility because it is too remote to consider but I believe we should consider it sir,"
the NSC, Robert Crawford said, bringing up an interesting topic. "Any refugee crisis on the border could present a serious hazard."

"We're not prepared for this, correct?"

"No sir we are not."

"We let this one slip through our fingers, big time. The leadership is something I doubt would flee but there people of northern Chile and Bolivia aren't anti-Layartebian in the sentiment of their government. They know safety when they see it and if La Paz cannot provide it they might just flee to us. We have to be ready for it. Let's initiate emergency measures on that front."

"Will do sir,"
Crawford said. "And the leadership?"

"We'll give them refuge but hold them in limbo in the area. We'll figure out what to do with them when the dust settles."
Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •

Alfegos
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Alfegos » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:05 am

March 9, 2015 - 04:45 hrs [UTC-4]
Brasileia, Acre

... I will be posting alongside Layarteb with regards to this medical detachment, for my own amusement as much as the development of the storyline. Hope it's educational Lay...

'Looks like the briefing's at a nice and fresh 0500 hours this morning. I bet things are going to kick off earlier than planned.'

Captain Vaughan sat back with a coffee in his ambulance, checking his watch. It was 0445, far earlier than he had wanted it to be. Rather than mess around in the accomodation provided for him, he had decided to spend the night sleeping in the ambulance, using the stretcher as his bed. It wasn't the most comfortable nights sleep, though hardly worse than the solid rubber mattress he was used to sleeping on in buildings. The only risk was of falling out if he rolled over in his sleep, something his medical orderly on the floor would rather wish to avoid. That man was busy packing away his foam mattress, a flask of dark, foul looking brew steaming next to him. In theory they shouldn't sleep inside the vehicles - in practice, it was far more comfortable, so long as the stretcher or floor weren't soaked in blood. Not only could one use the onboard lights, with the doors closed, there was also air conditioning. For now, they had been sleeping with the doors and hatches open, cool morning air flowing through and gently disturbing the mosquito nets they had stowed in the ceiling.

'The warning order said we're on a 15 minute notice to move from 0100 this morning. But we're all ready, aren't we Fitzy?'

Sergeant First Class Fitzpatrick was the most senior of the corpsmen in 1740 Tank Battalion, a man with years of experience. The only person with anywhere near as much experience was the other medical officer, currently away for briefing at Regimental HQ.
'Always ready Captain.'
The NCO held up a checklist, running his finger down the tasks for the morning. The fridge filled with antibiotics and blood bags was running at the correct temperature, and had been since last checked. The controlled drugs locker had all the items in it it should have. The medical packs were fully stocked and ready to go. The defibrillator, and the other medical equipment, sat charged and ready to go. Most the kit they had received as soon as they were pulled off exercise, division HQ gently hinting at hardships to come.
'Specialist Hanson says the vehicle's all good to go.'
'Exceptional.'
Vaughan sat flicking through the logbook as Fitzpatrick spoke, making sure the entries from the last day's sick parade were all in place. The last week had been relatively incident free, the only thing of note a couple men carried in a few days prior with heat exhaustion. Then, living on a camp with not much to do was hardly the riskiest of work. Soon enough, with people losing vigilance, the problems with malaria, dengue and Chagas would set in - those would be the real problems. And now, moving away from an installation where weekly spray-downs with insecticide was the routine, the insects and their diseases would come crawling after them.

'I guess we should have foreseen war coming. Though I'm surprised that nobody thought to give a set of deliberate orders for attack, rather than just cancel the exercise and switch to a combat footing.'
'Captain, remember that what some might call disorganisation, others might call the element of surprise. Even if it affects us as much as them across the border.'

It hadn't really hit Vaughan yet. His last two deployments had seen him work either in a camp treating the occasional case of syphilis, or working on the wards of a Role 3 hospital tending to the maimed and wounded as they awaited flights back to the homeland. Now as he readied himself for the day's work, he started to feel the anticipation building.
'Don't you worry Captain. Just stick to your job, and you'll be fine. Failing that, the Major will know what to do.'

The corpsman hopped from the back of the vehicle, slinging his rucksack onto the roof of the vehicle, before bungeeing it down under a tarpaulin. Next to it, a couple jerry cans of water were strapped down, with a large box of spare medical supplies that were always useful to carry. Rather than set the ambulance up to evacuate a casualty back as quickly as possible, the two medical officers had decided to load up with kit, and use the two vehicles as mobile clinics. Vitally important in this terrain and climate, even if a major field hospital was less than 100 kilometres away.

==

'Ah, a nice early start for us all Vaughan.'
The other medical officer for the battalion had arrived back, the Major unslinging his carbine as he came to sit in the vehicle. Major Vara was a tall, rugged figure, a man who never seemed to have a smile on his face, cutting an imposing shape through any crowd he stood in. And one that the medics, and most of the officers in the battalion, respected.

'I'll brief up the rest of the team in a moment with all the gritty details. Essentially, standard operating procedures, we'll run the battalion's aid post with you and me following the Battalion Reserve HQ. We'll have our two vehicles forming the post, with one ambulance following the HQ, and the other three following each squadron. T1 and T2 casualties, we've got helos able to pick them up within 10 minutes; serious T1 casualties, the division wants us to call in MERT, and get them back to a Role 3 hospital.'

They were blessed in this outfit with an abundance of medical staffing in the armed forces - both as a humanitarian venture, and because the public would not support a war where people died unnecessarily. That said, it sometimes emboldened commanders to make more risky decisions with their soldiers' lives.
'One last thing - we're the spearhead. I don't want you stressing too much about it, but we are going to be taking a beating. Make sure you bring your game up for the next 48 hours.'

The Major helped himself to hot water from the boiler, making himself a coffee as the medical staff arrived from their various corners.
'Let's make this quick, so you can catch the end of the CO's briefing. Whatever he says, Regiment says we're going to war today. So get your game faces on.'
Last edited by Alfegos on Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marimaia
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Marimaia » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:40 pm

March 9, 2015, 07:00hrs [UTC-3]
Canal 9 News "Breaking News" Segment

Instead of the usual opening sequence, the morning news had an intro which consisted of the Platinean flag flying and the national anthem playing before a large caption appeared onscreen, declaring 'Justice Is Served!'. The broadcast then cut to the studio, where the two regular newscasters were standing before a large screen rather than sitting behind the newsdesk. Named Enrique and Natalia, they had become a popular double act due to their enthusiastic onscreen banter and the love they always had for their fans; for this particular occasion, Enrique wore a black suit with a tie patterned after the national flag, while Natalia's dress was entirely patterned in the same way. As the screen behind them displayed the outline of South America with the caption 'Reckoning for the RSA', the pair beamed at the camera before Enrique started.

"Good morning La Plata! Breaking news for you this morning, fresh from the border between our republic and the ever-despicable Republic of South America. After yesterday's attempt on the life of President Velasquez, our brave fighting forces have officially commenced the aptly-named Operacion Justicia. In other words, we are the nation who finally stood up and said 'no more'! Defense Minister Antonio Miranda, who as we all remember led the successful campaign against the Bavinese insurgency last year, has told Canal 9 News that this is not an operation which will end in a mere bloody nose. We will not be stopping until the RSA falls! Natalia?"

"Thank you, Enrique. Yes, it's true. The Republic of La Plata will be bringing order and stability to the continent by standing up to the bullying of our neighbour. We've all read about their hostility towards every other nation in South America, but let's just remind ourselves of exactly what has brought us here."

She pressed a button on the remote she was holding and the screen behind the pair switched to a map of South America with national borders clearly marked. As she then began to detail the various flare-ups and conflicts which were obviously the RSA's fault in Canal 9's version of events, every push of a button would cause the location of the event to light up on the map. It was precisely this sort of nationalistic bias that endeared Canal 9 to the Platinean government, but of course with Felix Elizondo owning the network it was hardly surprising that it would be quite vociferous in its support of the government that he had brought about.

As the broadcast was going out, Buenos Aires was becoming a bustling hive of activity. The S.I. ordered the mobilisation of Los Halcones to supplement the Buenos Aires garrison, with the garrison taking up positions throughout the city while Los Halcones deployed to guard government buildings. Air defense systems were being brought online and the nearby air force base began prepping Raptors for short-notice scrambling in case Republican aircraft were detected closing in on the capital. Similar preparations began being enacted across the nation as La Plata demonstrated that although they may no longer be the United Provinces of Bavin, they would have no problem reverting to overt Bavinese-style militarism when the occasion called for it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

06:15hrs [UTC-4], March 9, 2015
Presidential Palace
La Paz, Bolivia, Republic of South America

President Merik took a mouthful of black coffee as he watched the Canal 9 newsfeed; although Platinean television was not officially broadcast in the RSA, there were ways to get it if you really wanted. In this case it was being used to confirm what the RSA military were already reporting.

"I don't believe this. Velasquez gets shot in the shoulder and they use it as an excuse to invade us? I remember receiving intelligence briefings which said that the Bavinese had no appetite for war, that they would crumble under any real pressure. Yet this Platinean government, which claims to be peaceful, is more willing to wage war than their openly militaristic predecessors? No-one seems to give a damn that we didn't have anything to do with Velasquez getting shot, all of our neighbours seem content to just sit back and watch as La Plata marches in! What have we done to earn such heinous disrespect?!"

Marshal Rodriguez let out a small sigh. "It hardly matters right now. We have a full-blown invasion of our territory taking place and it will not be easy to fend them off. The Platineans have crossed the border into Magallanes Region and taken Pichachen Pass, while also building to invade Paraguay en masse. With Pichachen in their hands, they've got a good crossing into central Chile. If we're going to survive this then we need to limit their offensives, so I'd advise blowing the San Ignacio de Loyola International Bridge. It'll limit them from rolling across it into Asunción and force them to either try crossing the Paraguay River or focus on the San Roque González de Santa Cruz Bridge. Either way it'll make things a little easier for us in that area."

"What about Chile?"

"I'll be honest with you, it's going to be difficult. We'll have the homefield advantage and superior mobility, but they've got the numbers. Our forces will have to try hard not to get bogged down. Our best bet for victory is to engage and move, wearing them down until they lose their enthusiasm. We'll also need to pray that other nations don't take the opportunity to attack us. The Layartebians have got substantial numbers on our northern border, if they decided to invade then we'd be in major trouble. There's also Brazil to worry about, Sergipe is dangerously isolated as a result of all this. Not to mention La Plata's friends..."

Merik groaned. "In other words, it might be a straight one-on-one fight or it might become a pack of wolves descending on us. On the bright side, we might be okay regarding Brazil as they don't seem to have any appetite for conflict. I also doubt that the Layartebians would be amenable to Khorsuni forces operating in South America, regardless of their intentions. Steven, I want you to do what it takes to defend our nation. If we survive this then we'll have an even better claim to be the rightful ruler of the continent. Let us be the cliffs that turn back the Platinean and Layartebian waves."

Layarteb
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Layarteb » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:39 am

March 9, 2015 - 07:00 hrs [UTC-5]
Layarteb City, New York
Fortress of Comhghall

"They are definitely laying it on thick, wouldn't you agree sir?"

"He who has a monopoly on propaganda knows no limit,"
the Emperor answered philosophically before adding, "and yes that is as thick as could be. It gives me ideas for our next major conflict." Laughs went around the table as the Emperor stood. "We're in crisis mode but it is not full blown yet. It is too early to tell how this is going to go. I want regular updates. Unless there are pressing issues I am going to cancel this morning's Cabinet meeting and replace it instead with the NSC meeting. Because we were all quite active early this morning, there's no reason to hold our NSC meeting later this afternoon. I am positive we all want to get some rest." Heads nodded around the table. "Very well, Chairman-General, I leave this in your hands for now," the entire room stood as the Emperor departed with his National Security Advisor in tow.

"Sir are we going to attack Pando?"

"Yes,"
the Emperor said, "yes we are but not yet. We must wait a little while longer. La Paz is going to be forced to make several key decisions in the next twenty-four hours. They're going to realize that their forces, while capable and well-positioned, are at a numerical and strategic disadvantage. That is going to require them to move forces, shift their lines, and start long supply lines to the fronts. In doing so, they are going to have to pull men and right now they have two places to pull them from, Brazil and us."

"Sir I think we all agree that they'll pull the troops from Brazil first but that those guarding against us will do nothing."

"That is what I am hoping for Robert. The forces defending and oriented towards Brazil can, in the blink of an eye, displace and maneuver against us far quicker than those oriented towards La Plata. Removing that element will give us much less resistance in Pando."

"Sir I am still of the opinion that we can and should take La Paz and deny Felix the carte blanche in the country that he is going to have."

"This isn't our war Robert,"
the Emperor answered. "Had we started it then yes, we would be marching towards La Paz now with an entire armored division but that is not the case. Felix is a bad apple but he'll be an isolated bad apple. There is nowhere else for him to go lest he deign to conquer Mato Grosso, unlikely, or attack Brazil, which is further unlikely."
Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •

Alfegos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Alfegos » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:09 am

0800 hrs

'Well, I would have been let down if we'd actually moved at the time they said.'
Captain Vaughan had made sure the ambulance was parked in the shade, just off the road they were waiting along from the assembly area. He had assumed correctly that they could be on 5 minute notice to move for the next few days. As soon as they good the word, the entire formation would move up to a final assembly line, before crossing into the operation. Hanging as they were at the back, the Regimental Aid Post of two vehicles sat waiting by a café, the owners seemingly bemused by the whole thing as they sat drinking coffee, watching as troops and vehicles moved up and down the parked column. This was the third cup of coffee for the morning, and he was already buzzing. It wasn't good for him, he knew, though he justified it as a vice far less harmful, or unpleasant, than smoking. In comparison, Sergeant First Class Fitzpatrick was very happy to sit atop the vehicle, enjoying the pleasant warmth of the morning as a lit cigarette hung from his mouth. Between the two rows of tethered kit under tarps, a very visible clear strip showed the most important marker of their role, a giant red cross panel very visible from above. Smaller panels hung either side of the vehicle, more protection through the customs of war. Not that it was more comforting than the thick steel and ceramic plate it sat upon.

Fitzpatrick flicked his cigarette, sending a small shower of ash off the side of the vehicle, as he looked down the rest of the convoy. Some were taking the chance to sleep, or to keep on top of personal admin they had neglected in the morning rush. All were greatly limited, including the Captain as he sat back, by ballistic helmets and heavy body armour. And as the temperature rose through the day, all would start to appreciate just how well armour could keep the warmth, and the humidity, in.
'Hey Captain, did you have any breakfast in the end?'
'Nah, just some biscuits to tide me over. Wasn't feeling particularly hungry.'
'Tell you what... do you have any cash on you?'

The man leapt down from the roof, landing squarely with carbine secured to his back, turning to face the Captain as he stubbed the cigarette out.
'These lot will accept whatever cash you give them, I'm sure.'
Captain Vaughan smiled as he handed over a single note, crisp and fresh despite the weeks it had resided in one of the many pockets on his clothing.
'Surprise me with something. I suppose this is the last real meal we'll have for a while. Buy yourself something with the money whilst you're at it.'
Fitzpatrick had given up arguing with Vaughan, generous as the man was, when it came to money, and walked into the café. Knowing his luck, they'd get the call to move as soon as he'd ordered something.

Marimaia
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Marimaia » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:31 pm

March 9, 2015, 09:00hrs [UTC-3]
Salvador Mazza, Republic of La Plata/Yacuíba, Republic of South America

It was just as well that President Velasquez had been moved back to Buenos Aires after his initial surgery, as the conurbation where he had received the wound was now fast becoming a warzone. The RSA forces which had been deployed for the controversial 'exercises' had now been ordered to engage the Platineans, who had in turn received orders to cross the border to engage the RSA. It had seemed like a favourable situation for the RSA forces as this was one situation where they actually had similar numbers to their adversary; they had amassed a combined arms force for the exercises, while the Platineans had amassed the mechanised battalions and armoured scout troops of the 4th Division on the border as 'intimidation'. However, just as Felix had intimated to Ambassador Castillo, the Platinean Air Force were not about to leave the situation at that. Two Tu.160 strategic bombers had been dispatched to 'do what they could', in other words the pair of supersonic heavy aircraft were to bomb the RSA positions and cause as much damage as possible before the elements of the 4th Division moved in. As the Tu.160s were unarmed and there was considerable potential of air interception from the RSA's airbases in Bolivia, they were accompanied by a squadron of twelve F-15c air superiority fighters.

Just to further complicate matters, reports had started coming from Yacuíba about shots being fired and the possible assassination of the city's mayor. Thanks to being constantly updated about the Platinean war plans, Felix had 'suggested' that some of Escorpión Azul's fighters in the area should slip across into Yacuíba and cause some chaos. This suggestion had quickly filtered down the chain of command and there were now fifty-five well-armed cartel thugs spread across the city of 80,000 people, committing random acts of violence. Four of them had gotten in Yacuíba's City Hall and were now conducting a hostage situation after shooting the city mayor and holding several terrified members of his staff at gunpoint. Their compatriots were either driving around the streets firing randomly or had gotten themselves into an armed standoff with the city police.

Elsewhere in the Platinean Republic, the 6th Division had been ordered to move out. Normally stationed in Santiago del Estero Province, they had received orders to relocate to neighbouring Salta Province; this redeployment would allow the rest of the 4th Division to move up and join their mechanised elements on the border. If the 4th Division were successful at pushing into the RSA in the area around Yacuíba, then the 6th Division would be well-placed to follow them in. In addition to this redeployment, the 7th Division based in Mendoza Province had also received marching orders; their target destination would be Pichachen Pass to help the Rapid Deployment Force properly secure the border crossing before continuing on into Bío Bío Region.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out at sea, the Submarine Force were hunting. Deployed into three packs of four Delfín-class diesel-electric submarines, one pack was heading through the Magellan Straits to the Pacific coast of the RSA while the other two packs were heading up the continent's Atlantic coast towards Sergipe. Their targets were the RSA's naval pride and joy, the carriers Bulwark and Resolute. La Plata's own pair of carriers, the Hispania and the Belgrano, were earmarked for a different operation which would only be enacted once there was confirmation that the RSA had no carrier presence on the Atlantic coast.

Layarteb
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Layarteb » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:22 pm

March 9, 2015 - 11:00 hrs [UTC-4]
Brasileia, Acre

"It's a beautiful day for a fucking war gentlemen," called out First Sergeant (1SG) Frank Burton, Alpha Company's senior sergeant and a particularly irritating son of a bitch whom First Lieutenant (1LT) Bill Scott loathed more than Charms. 1SG Burton wasn't ever on the front line with the company, instead he was coming up in the rear in an armored personnel carrier and granted it took little to punch a hole in an APC, he wasn't a tank man, not like the rest of the company. Alpha Company had five platoons and ninety men in total. The first four platoons were tank platoons with four M2066A1 Vindicator LBTs a piece. Fifth Platoon operated a medical evacuation APC, a pair of resupply APCs, and an armored recovery vehicle for those times when tanks got caught in the mud or driven into ditches. Alpha Company's HQ consisted of four tanks and a pair of command APCs. The company's commanding officer, Captain Brian Strayhorn was a tank man and he led from the front. 1SG Burton annoyed him equally as much, if not more than the men.

"You got it Duckman," 1LT Scott said underneath his breath as the annoying company sergeant went to piss off someone else. Next to him, the two other men in his crew just shook their heads. There was Private First Class (PFC) John Woodruff, the tank's driver and Corporal (CPL) Kenny Valdez, the tank's gunner. Because the M2066 was a light tank and equipped with an autoloader, it rated only a 3-man crew versus the traditional 4-man layout or in the case of those old Shermans, a 5-man crew. About the size of a T-72 but lighter and equipped with a smaller gun, the M2066 was the premier LBT in the Layartebian military but it served only in large numbers with the ILDF. The ILA and the ILMC used it but in a limited role.

"One of these days he's going to trip over his own two feet and face plant right into a tank and we won't ever have to hear of him again," PFC Woodruff said, spitting out a wad of gum into the mud near him. They were leaning against their tank. "What do you think boss?"

1LT Scott was the CO of First Platoon and he'd already drew the short straw to be the first platoon over the border. That weighed heavily on him since he knew that eleven men counted on him not to fuck things up when it was all too easily to fuck things up, "So long as I don't have to attend that man's wake I won't care."

"They'll make you give a speech boss you know that,"
CPL Valdez answered. "You'll have to be all nice and visit his wife."

"I feel bad for that woman,"
PFC Woodruff went on, "that man smells bad even in the shower."

"All right enough, the last thing I want to deal with is that son of a bitch. Valdez is the gun checked?"

"Checked and right sir."

"Check it again. Woodruff how about that engine? She good?"

"I'll give it another go sir."

"All right, I'm going to go find the medic guys and find out where the fuck they'll be in all of this. If we're going over the border first I want to make sure they aren't going to be sitting around counting bandages."
1LT Scott stood up and headed out, trying to find where the medical personnel were hiding. He knew they'd be near their vehicles since the lucky bastards had air conditioners and no one asked them if they needed extra fuel. In fact, he was more than happy to go chill with them for a while, if at the least because he knew they'd at least have something going on that was more entertaining that the company sergeant's enthusiasm for being in the rear without gear.
Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •

Marimaia
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Marimaia » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:25 am

March 12, 2015
Platinean-RSA War, Multiple Fronts

The conflict was already proving to be difficult for both sides as each nation started to step up their efforts; this would be no short exchange of firepower. The conurbation of Salvador Mazza-Yacuíba was now the site of intense urban warfare as the rest of the Platinean 4th Division had arrived to support their mechanised battalions; the RSA forces in the area had suffered losses to Platinean bombing and subsequently moved into Yacuíba to make things more awkward for their enemy's air force. If the Platineans wanted to bomb them again then they would have to bomb the city, so the 4th Division were ordered to take the unfortunate action of going into the conurbation to drive them out. The civilian population had started fleeing their homes as a result, Platinean citizens heading south towards the city of Tartagal while RSA citizens made north for Villa El Carmen. As they had no real sense of shame, several fighters from Escorpión Azul managed to slip into the stream of RSA refugees with the intention of causing trouble when they reached the next destination.

In the area around Asunción, the Platinean 15th Division had been massively hampered by the RSA blowing the San Ignacio de Loyola International Bridge. This meant that the 15th would have to cross the Paraguay River much more slowly and well within range of RSA firepower for practically the entire crossing, so instead they had brought their artillery to bear on the Paraguayan capital. The RSA's 1st Armoured Division had similarly turned their artillery to fire across the river, so the entire situation consisted of like-for-like artillery strikes while their respective air forces dueled above the area. In this respect, the RSA were starting to take losses that would not be easily replaced; the 2nd Fighter Wing based in Asunción had lost seven F-16Es while the Platineans had lost nine F-15Cs to the 2nd Fighter Wing and the city's air defenses. Further along the border, the Platinean 12th, 16th and 17th Divisions had successfully taken the San Roque González de Santa Cruz Bridge thanks to concentrated air support and were now rolling into the city of Encarnación. It looked as though the Platineans had finally gained a foothold in what could be considered the RSA's heartland.

In light of this, the RSA had taken the undesired but necessary step of ordering their military presence in Mato Grosso to pull out in order to reinforce Paraguay and Bolivia. It had been decided that the Republic of Brazil was highly unlikely to get involved in this conflict and the troops were obviously needed elsewhere. However, there would be no movement by the RSA forces bordering the Empire of Layarteb. President Merik believed that doing so could actually act as an inducement for the Layartebians to attack because they would be facing reduced resistance, so the 1st Cavalry Division (Air) would remain in place as a deterrent.

Elsewhere, the Maganelles were proving easier for the invaders but not exactly easy. The RSA's 3rd Cavalry Division (Air) were putting up a good fight against the 18th Division, but Platinean air support and numbers were beginning to take their toll; the 3rd had been hitting and moving as the 18th were on the approach towards Punta Arenas. The Southern Marine Battalion, on the other hand, were closing on the city and would undoubtedly be the Platinean troops to start any urban fighting within the city limits. To the north in central Chile, the Platinean 7th Division had reached Pichachen Pass and were now reinforcing it while the Rapid Deployment Force began preparations to advance into enemy territory.

Marimaia
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Marimaia » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:36 am

March 13, 2015, 07:00hrs [UTC-3]
Canal 9 News "Justice Update"

In yet another new opening sequence, the Platinean national anthem was playing while a stock footage montage displayed various scenes of tanks firing, aircraft taking off, troops marching and the aircraft carrier Hispania sailing out of port. A deep and dramatic voiceover then chimed in.

"Welcome to Canal 9 News, the nation's favourite source of information. Live in the studio with news on the liberation of the South American people, we now join the award-winning team of Natalia Bianchi and Enrique Maldonado."

"Good morning La Plata! We here at Canal 9 News are proud to bring you an exclusive new feature. Working with the Defense Ministry and other government departments, we can now reveal to you that our network has been permitted to have embedded correspondents operating alongside our armed forces as they take the fight to the Republic of South America. If any of our loyal viewers, or anyone just tuning in, might be unsure about what that exactly means, Natalia has more details."

"Thank you Enrique. An embedded correspondent is a reporter who is attached to a military unit and goes wherever that unit goes. This means that they gain unprecedented insight into the operations and activities of our brave military personnel, essentially allowing us to document them making history as it happens. Unfortunately we will not be able to go directly live to our correspondents all the time because doing so may inadvertently reveal our positions to the enemy, but we can reveal this morning that our access will allow us to give our viewers regular updates on the progress of Operacion Justicia. Let's go over the first four days of this conflict so that we all know where we stand."

Natalia looked over to Enrique, who pressed a button on his keypad and the screen behind them displayed a map of the Southern Cone. Enrique then proceeded with the report.

"This is how things looked after the first official day of hostilities, 9th March. As you can see, at this point our forces have only crossed into one area of enemy territory, the Maganelles Region. The main target being the city of Punta Arenas, home to an enemy air cavalry division as well as a naval squadron. The next day was pretty much the same as far as progress was concerned, our forces continued to push into the Maganelles but by now we were moving to advance into other enemy-held regions."

He pressed the button once again to change the displayed map.

"Now, here we have 11th March. The Maganelles is still contested, keep in mind that it's not a highly-populated area so RSA forces will be able to concentrate on defending Punta Arenas without letting too many towns and cities fall in the meantime. In the north, the conurbation of Salvador Mazza-Yacuíba has now become a place of conflict. As we all know, the conurbation straddles the border so it's always been a point of contention. This is why we've now highlighted Tarija as being contested. Our air force also conducted a successful bombing against the RSA forces which provoked this whole thing, if you'll remember they moved a force onto our border and then claimed that it was just for 'exercises'."

Natalia snorted and smiled at the camera. "As if we'd be stupid enough to fall for that."

Enrique grinned in response. "Exactly, they underestimated us once again and this time they're paying for it. So, let's move onto yesterday, 12th March. Thanks to the RSA proving to be cowards by blowing up the San Ignacio de Loyola International Bridge, our forces had to concentrate on other ways to cross into Paraguay. They did so by heroically taking the San Roque González de Santa Cruz Bridge and this has allowed us to cross into the city of Encarnación, meaning that Itapúa has now become contested. I think this just proves how cowardly the RSA truly are, if they had any real confidence in their military then they should have gone face-to-face with our forces over Asunción. Oh, I'm just getting something here...yes, we're being told we can go live to Pichachen Pass and our correspondent Hernando Iglesias! Hernando, we understand you have some interesting news for us?"

The screen switched to the reporter, who had to speak up as various military vehicles continued to drive past behind him.

"That's right, Enrique! Exciting news here at Pichachen Pass, where the brave personnel of the Rapid Deployment Force and the 7th Division have spent the last few days taking and reinforcing this vital border crossing! Obviously I won't go into details about the defenses that have been brought to bear here, but suffice to say that the RSA will have a very tough time driving our forces out. Our success here means that the areas of central Chile are now open for our forces to advance, so expect to add some more regions to the 'contested' list in the coming days! Back to you in the studio!"

Natalia beamed warmly as the feed switched back to her. "Thanks Hernando, stay safe! Wait a second, I'm just hearing...yes, breaking news! Word coming out of La Casa Rosada is that President Velasquez is making a speedier recovery than his physicians expected! That's fantastic news, all of us here at Canal 9 News will be overjoyed to see our visionary President back in action. Enrique, I think it's no surprise that he's recovering more quickly than expected, would you agree?"

"Oh, absolutely. Francisco Diego Velasquez isn't called the "Iron Man of La Plata" for nothing, as if he'd let a bullet wound stop him for long. Now, a bit more heartwarming news. We can exclusively reveal that Felix Elizondo, renowned philanthropist and owner of this network, has pledged to establish a charity which will provide support for those left affected by this conflict, regardless of which side of the border they are currently on. In a statement, he expressed his wish to see the people of both nations united once again, and publically identified President Velasquez as the man who he thinks has the strength and vision to unite the Southern Cone. If only there were more like Señor Elizondo, what do you think Natalia?"

"Well Enrique, I'm still a little jealous of Matías Caballo for winning Señor Elizondo's heart. Then again, I'm a little jealous of Señor Elizondo for landing a man like Matías Caballo. Boy, that's going to be a wedding to remember. You know, I've already got about five dresses in mind for it."

Enrique chuckled. "Well, that's great to hear. Thanks for joining us this morning, we'll have more in-depth analysis throughout the day and join us tomorrow for the next official progress update on Operacion Justicia and our struggle against the arrogance of the Republic of South America. I'm Enrique Maldonado-"

"-and I'm Natalia Bianchi. Have a glorious day, La Plata!"

Alfegos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Alfegos » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:49 am

March 9, 2015 - 11:00 hrs [UTC-4]
Brasileia, Acre

The green-painted motorbike roared along the main highway, streaking past the parked-up lines of vehicles, waiting to move. Even double parked, the battalion vehicles stretched for nearly a kilometre along the hard shoulder and inside lane of the highway, tarps hooked alongside as men rested underneath waiting. Their quarry a mere mile away, just across the border, would be fools if they hadn't noticed this massive force buildup. But then again, given the news of the morning, they likely had other things on their minds as well. The bike slowed as Captain Vaughan shouted, signalling for them to pull over by A Squadron. Amongst the menagerie of vehicles, his target sat with the red cross mounted on its side - the men he was supposed to check up on. It wasn't as if he needed to check on things - the lack of anything to do, coupled with a creeping sense that he wasn't totally prepared for what might be coming, had left him with the restless urge to do something, anything, to take his mind off things. The chicken burger, delicious as it was, had done little to distract him, and six cups of coffee hadn't helped.

He thanked the courier and dismounted, looking over for his colleagues. From here, he could see they had set up a couple hammocks, relaxing under the shade of a tarp strung between the ambulance and the crane of the armoured recovery vehicle. One of them sat reading a book, rifle hanging from the rope next to him, whilst the other slept on his back, the sound of the news from a portable radio whispering through the breeze.
...and back to the main story of today; today, La Plata has declared a military action against the Republic...

"Good morning gentlemen."
The sleeping man almost fell out of his hammock in shock, reaching over to his body armour and rifle with haste. The other corpsman, the more experienced it seemed, quietly placed down his book, smiling.
"And good morning to you as well sir.I'm glad we're busy as always."
"So you've given up on assuming that we're doing anything?"
"Well, it's kicking off elsewhere, but I feel we're going to be lurking more as a threat rather than actually doing anything. This'll all be over in a week, and we'll be on a ship back north."

...the President's condition, whilst serious, was said to be stable...

"That's good to know Sergeant White. However, as you're right at the front of the formation, you might find it wise to be ready, as if things go south you're going to be rather busy. Do you mind if I check over the kit?"

The two swung on their body armour and rifles, hesitating whilst they strapped up. The doors of the ambulance were closed, though the air conditioning unit still hummed on the roof of the armoured ambulance. The Captain paused, thinking as he noticed their hesitancy, before breaking into smile.
"How much did they pay you to use the A/C?"
"The technical crew said they'd make up for fuel and give us $5 an hour."
"Right..."

Laughing, the Captain opened the hatch door on the back of the vehicle, cold air pouring out in a pleasant rush. Whilst out here, the heat was building even under the shade of the tarp, inside it was cool and fresh. Caught in the daylight, the three technicians sat paused mid game, a small pile of loose change sitting in the middle of the stretcher.
"Glad to see you're making good use of the air conditioner gents. Not that I begrudge you at all. You might want to move your game somewhere else whilst we work."
The lead technician looked to him, almost about to say something, before wisely decided to leave without a word. The others followed, money quickly pocketed as the Captain looked over the inside of the ambulance. Despite its apparent size on the outside, the numerous kit lockers and thick armour plate meant the inside of the vehicle was cramped, with enough reasonable space for one man on a stretcher, and four men seated. In reality, they could fit three people inside on stretchers, using a folding rack to the side, and the floor. In the front, there was enough space for two, though that seat currently held personal kit bags.

"Right, we'll start with the serious stuff..."
The Captain pulled out a copy of the kit manifest from the small controlled drugs locker, running his finger down the list as the two medics peered on. Not all the kit onboard was technically legally usable by the two corpsmen who normally crewed the vehicle - they were more there for the benefit of the medical officers, planning for up to six months away from any other major medical post. As he looked over the locker, counting through a dense stack of drug vials and syringes, he heard the snapping to attention of the two corpsmen. He turned, placing the register down as he smiled.
"Ah, Lieutenant, glad to see you. Hope you're enjoying the wait as much as I am."

He turned back, quickly spinning the combination lock as he turned to the grab bag hanging next to it, cables plugged into a 12V socket set into the side of the ambulance.
"Now, how can I help you Lieutenant, other than having one of my colleagues close the door and keep this lovely cool air in?" He looked over to one of the corpsmen, smiling until the man got the hint.

Marimaia
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Marimaia » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:44 am

March 14, 2015, 07:00hrs [UTC-3]

"Welcome to Canal 9 News, the nation's favourite source of information. Live in the studio with the latest news on the liberation of the South American people, we now join the award-winning team of Natalia Bianchi and Enrique Maldonado."

As the camera panned across the studio and then honed in on the two newscasters, they both displayed broad smiles and waved towards the camera.

"Good morning La Plata! Welcome to the official progress report on Operacion Justicia, our nation's determined struggle against the tyranny of the Republic of South America. The last twenty-four hours have seen some interesting movements on both sides, wouldn't you say so Natalia?"

"I would indeed Enrique. Let's start with the less welcome news." The screen behind them changed from the patriotic montage to the map of the Southern Cone, detailing the provinces of both combatant nations as well as the neighbouring Empire of Layarteb and Republic of Brazil. Natalia pressed a button on her keypad and then began gesturing as if she was standing before a weather forecast.

"The unfortunate news from Day 5, 13th March, is that there is evidence of the RSA moving forces from their border with the Republic of Brazil. Forces that were previously stationed in Mato Grosso, marked as point 1, appear to be on the move towards the Santa Cruz region of Bolivia, marked as point 2. These forces will undoubtedly be deployed against our brave military personnel in an attempt to save the despicable Merik regime, and it is rather sad when you think about it. The RSA military personnel are not that different to our own, they all have families and are loyally following orders. It is an injustice to them that they swore loyalty to a regime which has proven to be so belligerent and dishonourable, I mean the regime in La Paz can see that they're going to lose so they're sending as many of their fighting personnel against us to die as they can. If anyone is watching in the Republic of South America, think about it! Your leaders are going down but they're so selfish that they would sacrifice your brave military so that they can take as many people with them as they can!"

"Well said Natalia, well said. Of course this might be the catalyst which is required for the people of the RSA to finally rise up. Let's remember, General Chevalier held us in an iron grip until he started a foolish war and our brave military overthrew him; maybe that's still to come in the RSA, we don't know. Anyway, that's the unfortunate news, let's get to the positive side of yesterday! As regular viewers will note, we have a new contested area! Bío Bío in central Chile now has some guests in the form of the Rapid Deployment Force and the 7th Division! Obviously we can't reveal exact troop movements just in case La Paz is watching...if you are, remember that we're coming for you!

"Elsewhere in the theatre of conflict, we've received reports of significant gains in the battle for Salvador Mazza-Yacuíba. Now we also have reports of refugees leaving the area, our citizens heading south and their citizens fleeing north. Citizens of Yacuíba, come south! We'll take much better care of you and you'll be out of immediate danger. Natalia, would you say it's likely that the RSA would use their own refugees as a shield against our advance?"

Natalia looked solemnly at the camera and nodded. "Absolutely."

Enrique nodded in agreement. "Absolutely indeed, Natalia. Now, our forces are also reported to be making gains in the city of Encarnación, where the 12th Division are involved in fighting, supported by the 16th and 17th Divisions. When that city falls, we'll have a road straight to Asunción! Speaking of Asunción, Canal 9 News can exclusively reveal that our forces are currently involved in artillery barrages and air combat in that area, so if there's any justice in the world the city's defenders will be completely outmatched when our military finally reaches them. Heading right down south now, the Maganelles are still the scene of fighting between our 18th Division and the RSA's 3rd Air Cavalry Division, but sources in the Defense Ministry have informed us that they are confident of a breakthrough to Punta Arenas in the next day or two. Natalia?"

"That just about does it for this morning's Justice Update. Tune in this afternoon for my exclusive one-on-one interview with Defense Minister Antonio Miranda, where he talks about the need for us to go to war, the benefits that our victory will have for ourselves and the benefits that our victory will bring to the continent as a whole. Also, this evening we'll be bringing you a live update on the condition of President Velasquez; as a little spoiler, I understand that it's very good news."

"Well, that's great news for all of us. Thanks once again for tuning in, I'm Enrique Maldonado-"

Layarteb
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Layarteb » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:32 pm

March 14, 2015 - 09:00 hrs [UTC-5]
Layarteb City, New York
Fortress of Comhghall

Six days into the South American War had revealed quite a lot about the true capabilities of La Paz's military. They were certainly formidable and the Special Council was discussing as much amongst themselves when the Emperor entered the room at 09:00. They were meeting in the War Room, deep below the Fortress of Comhghall and as they shuffled to their feet as a sign of respect, all of the talk quieted at once. "Please sit, I know today is a Saturday and I thank you all for coming." The Emperor said as he took his seat. "I have the latest updates on the conflict so we can skip over that phase of the discussion. It's obvious that President Merik has leveraged his forces properly and that they were holding their own against the numerically superior Platinean forces."

"Sir the latest troop movements show that La Paz is, predictably, moving their units out of Mato Grosso and off of the Brazilian border to leverage them in counterattacks against Platinean forces. There has been no movement, not that we expect any, with the forces stationed in northern Chile, around La Paz, and in the Pando Department of Bolivia."
Minister Flores from Intelligence said, starting off the meeting. "Based on the current troop concentrations in and around the border regions, President Merik is not fully of the opinion that we will not take advantage of the situation."

"Of course he isn't, he's poked us long enough that he has to know that once we smell blood we'll come in for the kill,"
the Emperor said, adding "what do our agents and assets on the ground in La Paz say?"

"Merik fully believes he's going to win this one. He's worried about the numbers and the multiple fronts but he believes that his forces can brunt and decimate the lead Platinean units, which will give him the capability to run unopposed into Buenos Aires from multiple vectors. He might not have wanted the conflict to start out this way but he understands the nature of conflict very well and he's trying to maneuver himself into an advantage."

"All right so, for the most part, this is a 'to be expected' situation then? Those always worried me when I was in Venezuela. There's definitely something amiss here. Mato Grosso remains a major, and I do want to stress the word 'major' here, loose cannon. Is Rio still holding firm?"

"As far as I can tell sir, there is no change in their attitude towards this conflict, though I can assume that they're relieved to see La Paz pulling men off of the border, at least for the time being,"
answered Minister Fisher of Foreign Affairs.

"All right what preparations have we made at our embassy?"

"Sir, we evacuated all non-critical people before the shooting started and since then we've recalled everyone. The embassy is currently being held by a contingent of guards with plenty of provisions and orders to do nothing but hold out for now."

"If something does go south sir,"
broke in Minister Sanders of Defense, "we're going to deploy the 750th Special Purpose, Quick Reaction Battalion as backup. We've moved them from Rondônia down to a staging point about twenty-five miles from the border. They'll be in La Paz in minutes after the call is made."

"Will that require one of our units running distractions on the border to push into Bolivian territory?"

"More than likely that would sir. We could and likely would need the additional firepower of either the 9th Armored Division or the 10th Cavalry Division. Both of those divisions have the kind of support we might need."

"What do we lose if we lose the embassy itself? Do we still have classified and sensitive information there?"

"No sir we do not,"
Minister Fisher said. "It's more the prestige of losing the embassy's physical grounds."

"If it comes to it I'd rather see an extraction than one or two of our divisions crossing to fight in La Paz. That's not a fight I want gentlemen. The 1st Infantry Division holding La Paz has got to have prepared fighting positions just waiting for an enemy force to come barreling into the city, not to mention the paramilitary defense teams they have likely put into the streets. No, if it comes to it, the embassy is just property. We don't need it."

"Sir are you suggesting we let La Paz take control over our embassy if we go to war with them?"
Chairman-General Barnes asked, rather mystified.

"Yes it is Chairman-General. If we're going to take military action we've already decided it's only against the Pando Department region. Chile is out and so is La Paz, unless they force our hand. It's true that seizing our embassy would qualify as 'forcing our hand' but La Paz is not the kind of battle I want our boys fighting. We have the men to do it but just because we have the men doesn't mean we need to leverage them and the resources required."

"Sir there's no way we could extract our men and all of the men in the embassy's grounds without a prolonged firefight. Helicopters would be too vulnerable and a ground convoy is simply out of the question."

"Then they come out before we hit Pando. We'll concede them the embassy's grounds before we hit Cobija."
The Emperor said, modifying his stance so far. To him, the embassy wasn't worth the lives, especially since there was nothing left there to protect. Pando Department was the prize because of advantage it would give the Empire in preventing Felix Elizondo and his ilk from exploiting the rural region to gain access to the Layartebian Empire.

"Yes sir," Chairman-General Barnes answered, effectively ending all resistance to the idea of holding the embassy's grounds. "Sir I think we should discuss just when we're planning to make our move on Cobija and the Pando Department."

"We need the opportune moment. La Paz is moving men off of the Brazilian border, which shapes up to help us well. Yet the fighting, while intense, is not yet as widespread as we expected at this point. The conflict is very localized, which gives the advantage to La Paz because of the superior maneuverability of their forces. Once it becomes a larger conflict, with more zones contested, then it will be time to make our move."

"Yes sir, what about the Republican Navy?"

"We have the plans in place right? We have the assets to hunt and destroy their submarines and their two aircraft carriers, is that correct?"

"Yes sir and we're working with the Apilonians who have men aboard both carriers. If either carrier suddenly defects to a foreign power we're going to move to sink it with their assistance. The carriers will go one of two places, and ideally we all want that place to be the bottom of the ocean sir."
Last edited by Layarteb on Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •

Marimaia
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Marimaia » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:13 pm

March 15, 2015, 07:00hrs [UTC-3]

"Welcome to Canal 9 News, the nation's favourite source of information. Live in the studio with the latest news on the liberation of the South American people, we now join the award-winning team of Natalia Bianchi and Enrique Maldonado."

The broad smiles on the faces of both Natalia and Enrique made it obvious that something had gone well over the previous twenty-four hours and they couldn't wait to tell everyone all about it. Enrique could barely contain his glee as the camera focused on him.

"Good morning La Plata! Yesterday was truly a day to be proud of, if you're Platinean that is. When you see this morning's updated map, I know you'll agree that our nation is definitely on the road to victory!"

As the newest map was displayed on the screen behind them, Enrique pointed excitedly while Natalia briefly clapped her hands at the sight of it.

"This is Day 6, 14th March. Right here, you'll see a new contested region as the 11th Division have crossed Paso San Francisco from Catamarca Province and are now moving into the Atacama region of Chile. You can quite clearly see that our military brass are experts, as successfully taking Atacama will cut Chile up even more. We have also received reports that the 7th Division, who you'll remember are now operating in Bío Bío alongside the Rapid Deployment Force, are closing in on the city of Los Ángeles. Taking Los Ángeles would give us access to the major roads that run the length of Chile and would give the RSA something else to worry about. Natalia?"

"Thanks Enrique. The other big news from yesterday is up here in Paraguay, as we've brought another two regions into contested status! The city of Encarnación is said to be close to surrender so the 12th Division are finishing off that conflict while the 16th and 17th Divisions have moved on into the neighbouring regions of Alto Paraná and Caazapá. Unconfirmed reports, and we stress that these are unconfirmed reports, are claiming that several villages and towns on the border in the contested regions are beginning to fly the Platinean flag in support of our troops; does that come as any real surprise, Enrique?"

Enrique grinned. "Absolutely not, Natalia."

"Absolutely not indeed, Enrique! Now we would like to introduce a new aspect to the Justice Update, namely an opportunity for our patriotic viewers to phone in with their views on the war! Hello citizen, you're on the air! What's your name, friend?"

Both news presenters adopted a friendly and interested demeanour as the caller began to speak.

"Hi guys, I'm Eduardo calling from Montevideo. I'd just like to say that my friends and I are cheering on our troops, and we were wondering if there was any way we could help with the war effort?"

Enrique nodded in response. "Excellent question, Eduardo! Defense Minister Miranda has previously stated that he would like to avoid a draft if possible, but volunteers will always be welcome! Otherwise I'm sure that there are all manner of other ways to contribute, your best bet is to visit your local military base and find out more. What do you think Natalia?"

"I think I love a man in uniform who's willing to fight for his country."

"Always the patriot, Natalia. Thanks for your call Eduardo, we hope something's available for you! Well I think that does it for this morning's update, except for us to say a very good morning to President Velasquez. As we reported last night, our President is up and about and storming along the road to recovery! Anyway, thanks once again for tuning in, I'm Enrique Maldonado-"

Marimaia
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Marimaia » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:25 pm

March 16, 2015, 07:00hrs [UTC-3]

This morning, Natalia would be starting the update. As the camera zoomed in on the pair, she called up the map and pointed to the Maganelles.

"Good morning La Plata! Let's start this morning's update with the news that the Battle for Punta Arenas has begun! After spending the last few days engaged in fighting against the RSA's 3rd Air Cavalry Division, our brave 18th Division has broken through and is now at the gates of of their primary target! Even better, they are being supported by the Southern Marine Battalion, and we all know how tough the Marines are! Even better than that, we've received an exclusive briefing from the Defense Ministry stating that elements of our Submarine Force engaged the RSA's Southern Response Squadron two days ago; obviously we couldn't broadcast that information at the time as it could have jeopardised our naval operations. I can proudly tell everyone that although one of our submarines suffered some damage, the important thing is that the RSA have lost one Type-45 destroyer while two Type-23 frigates have had to return to Punta Arenas for repairs!"

Enrique started clapping. "I reckon that progress deserves a hearty round of applause! Momentum is building and we're taking it to them! So, let's look at Day 7, 15th March. As you can see, no change in the number of contested areas but that's not necessarily bad news. All it means is that our military are consolidating and pressing on with ongoing battles. At present we're tracking our progress in the cities of Encarnación, Los Ángeles, Salvador Mazza-Yacuíba and now of course Punta Arenas. Degrees of progress may vary, but we're confident that we'll see victory after victory racking up soon enough. Our primary concern is that sources in the Defense Ministry have told us that the RSA appear to be moving the forces formerly stationed in Mato Grosso; more specifically, they seem to be moving towards La Paz and Asunción. It seems highly likely that the RSA intends to reinforce their major cities, planning that our forces will find it so difficult to take them that we'll give up. Well, President Merik, we won't give up. La Plata will keep going until victory is ours! Natalia?"

"Absolutely right, Enrique. Let's hear from this morning's caller! Hello citizen, you're on the air! What's your name, friend?"

"Uh, my name's Anna from Buenos Aires. I was just wondering if you had any further information on the refugees fleeing from Salvador Mazza-Yacuíba?"

Enrique nodded furiously. "Excellent question Anna, excellent question. We've been informed that Platinean refugees are being welcomed with open arms wherever they go, and all towns, villages and cities are reporting back to the Interior Ministry with names of any refugees arriving. Unfortunately we cannot give any more details on the RSA's refugees, but we can all imagine the hardship and abandonment that they are suffering at the hands of that heartless regime. What do you think, Natalia?"

"I think South America and the entire world will be much better off without the RSA and President Merik. He's a bully who has pulled the wool over his nation's eyes for the last time."

"Completely right as always. Thanks for your call Anna, you've demonstrated the warmth and love that all Platineans hold for their fellow humans! Well I think that does it for this morning's update, make sure to join us tomorrow as our military continues on the march towards victory! I'm Enrique Maldonado-"

Marimaia
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Marimaia » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:03 pm

March 17, 2015, 07:00hrs [UTC-3]

Enrique beamed at the camera as it zoomed in on him, and he quickly called up the map on the screen behind himself and Natalia.

"Good morning La Plata! It's been just over a week since we started taking it to the Republic of South America, and our military is doing a fantastic job! Let's look back at Day 8, 16th March. Unfortunately we don't have any additions to the contested areas, but that doesn't mean that we're resting, oh no! We can guarantee you all that our troops are hard at work in Encarnación, Los Ángeles, Salvador Mazza-Yacuíba and Punta Arenas. The Defense Ministry has provided us with exclusive information regarding the battles for these cities, and we are projected to achieve victory in all four cities over the next few days. We can also report that the Defense Ministry is preparing further offensives in other areas, but unfortunately we can't tell you exactly where because it would tip off the RSA. Rest assured that our military strategists have everything under control. Natalia?"

"Thanks Enrique. Let's take this opportunity to look back at exactly why we're at war and our progress so far."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 17, 2015, 13:30hrs [UTC-3]
Buenos Aires, Republic of La Plata
Edificio Libertador

"Defense Minister, here's the update you wanted on that ship."

Defense Minister Miranda took the information and read it intently. The war was progressing fairly well, all things considered, but he knew from experience that war was a prime opportunity for the unexpected to happen. This was one such situation. One day ago, Platinean submarines operating in the southern waters had reported sighting a battlecruiser making its way through the Magellan Straits. As it was prominently flying Apilonian colours and appeared to be a type that was known to be used by the Apilonians, the submarines had observed it but not engaged, as the Empire of Apilonia was a non-combatant in this conflict. He now held in his hands a surveillance update which appeared to show that the vessel was heading north.

"This makes no sense at all. Why would they send a battlecruiser along that route? Surely they'd be better off sending it through the Panama Canal, since they're allied to the Layartebians. Then again, perhaps this is some exercise?"

Corporal Fernández shrugged. "Surely they would have informed us if they were sending one of their ships into an active deployment area?"

"Perhaps. Just to be on the safe side, contact the Apilonian military attaches and ask them for confirmation. Keep up the surveillance for now, and we'll make a further decision after you hear back from the Apilonians."

Fernández saluted sharply. "Yes, Defense Minister."

Terra Reborn
Minister

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Reborn » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:09 pm

Captain James Rodney DSO
HMS Ajax
International Waters, the South Atlantic
Tuesday 17th March 2015, 1700hrs Local Time (1200hrs Imperial Capital Time, 2000hrs Zulu Time)

The Imperial Cruiser Ajax cut through the waters of the South Atlantic as she forged her way westwards in company with her sister ship, HMS Agamemnon. The lead ship of her class of Heavy Cruiser the Ajax displaced some twenty thousand tonnes and was designed to bridge the gap between the Tiger-Class Light Cruiser and the Saga-Class Battlecruiser, both designed in the Realm of Cotland. The Ajax-Class is intended to be a heavy general purpose warship capable of long-range independent patrols, which its nuclear nature gives it an advantage of over the Tiger-Class which only has an endurance of sixteen days sailing on fuel compared to the hundred and twenty days that the Ajax-Class can maintain on supplies. The design faced some criticism with some in the Imperial Navy arguing that the Saga-Class Battlecruiser does the job better and is already a tried and tested design, however its supporters responded that the Ajax-Class would not only be cheaper but also less tied up serving either as station flagships or as part of mainline squadrons.

Ajax and Agamemnon were assigned to the South Atlantic Squadron under the command of Rear Admiral Henry Taylor, but with the outbreak of war between the Republic of La Plata and the Republic of South America they had been ordered to be ready for deployment as required. With the war reaching towards the week mark they had been ordered across the South Atlantic to keep an eye on matters, but given other matters they hadn’t exactly been in a hurry. That had all changed a few hours ago when the Imperial Naval Attaché in Buenos Aries had been informed by the Platinean Defence Ministry that there was a major surface combatant transiting the Magellan Straits under an Imperial flag. A quick check with the Admiralty confirmed that no Imperial ships were doing anything of the sort, the only ships in the area were the South Pacific Squadron at Valparaiso, and Rear Admiral Wallace confirmed the positions of all of them. It therefore stood to reason that It was a Republic of South America ship operating under false colours, something which would not be tolerated, and as such the two Imperial Cruisers had been ordered to pull out all the stops to get off the Platinean Coast as soon as possible.

Captain James Rodney was the senior of the two Cruiser Captains. He had distinguished himself during the Maldives Campaign, being instrumental in bringing the island chain into the Empire over three years ago now and had been rewarded with successive ship commands until he had taken command of the Ajax at the beginning of the year. His counterpart was Captain John Fury, an ambitious and aggressive officer who commanded the Agamemnon like an extension of his own body, despite his lesser experience and seniority. The two of them made a hell of a pair, and Ajax and Agamemnon were frequent partners with already glorious histories, after all soon after their commissioning they had been attacked by a rouge American Battlecruiser during the Fall of the United States of Western America and had been lucky to escape with their lives, and had been months in dock getting repaired, adding another battle honour to a not unsubstantial list of engagements in which ships named Ajax and Agamemnon had fought in over the years.

He presumed that the vessel was a RSA Resolution-Class Battlecruiser. Designed to almost the exact same specifications as the Saga-Class, with a similar enough hull form to be causing this false flag operation to have at least a chance of success, it was built with RSA systems and weapons installed, rather than the more advanced Apilonian and Cottish systems that the Saga-Class enjoyed. Never the less Captain Rodney was glad that he had the Agamemnon along with him, he would not have wanted to take on that ship on his own. His job was simple, he was to close with and identify the vessel, if it was indeed an RSA Ship operating under a false flag he was to instruct them to cease and desist, if they failed to do so he was to take whatever measures he deemed appropriate. If that meant sinking her that was what he would do, the Empire could not allow foreign powers to go around sailing warships, especially during an active war, under its colours, the damage they could do was as obvious as it was significant.

Captain Rodney glanced down at the WECDIS (Warship Electronic Chard Display & Information System) at the track his ship was sailing on towards the target area. The two Imperial Cruisers were steaming south-west as fast as their engines could carry them, all told some thirty-two knots sustained flank speed.

They would intercept the rogue Battlecruiser at the River Plate.
The Terran Empire
Future Tech

The Apilonian Empire
Earth II

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents