NATION

PASSWORD

The Occupation (Closed, Regional RP)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Vyrsar
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

The Occupation (Closed, Regional RP)

Postby Vyrsar » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:25 pm

Reichstag, Zürich

Alexandra Adenauer rubbed her eyes with two fingers, giving a deep sigh and leaning back in her chair at the long, rich wooden conference table. The walls of the room were stainless steel, for the most part, and gave way to three screens in the room. The largest one, on the wall to the left of the Chancellor, was currently the one that had everyone's eyes affixed to it. It showed a satellite view of Western Nekulturnya with grey, crisscrossing grid lines overlaid on the satellite images. It was heavily marked up by arrows and unit markers, a result from the full debriefing by the Defence Minister, who now leaned against the wall opposite the screen. There was a tangible tension in the room. Not from hostility, but from a shared concern and bated breath.

To many of them, this was going to be the beginning of the end. While the Chancellor herself had only been a young girl during the wars of the 1980s, she had been plenty old enough to have lived through the War of 1998. The entire nation had celebrated and rejoiced in relief at the end of that conflict, erroneously believing the threat to be gone. That they had won. But they hadn't won- the fighting of the past decade had proved as much, and to leave the status quo would have made the nearly 200 fallen to have died in vain.

This, though, this was the true beginning of the end. After it was all over, they could then truly say that they had won. Stamped out the threat for good. Under the leadership and guidance of Chancellor Adenauer, the mortal enemy of their Fatherland would be eradicated, once and for all.

The thoughts of that alone made it all seem so surreal.

Their troop movements would be, at the very least, noticeable to anyone who bothered to keep an eye on them. The shifting of nearly of well over just several thousand troops and vast fleets of vehicles and aircraft and tons of military equipment in a short timespan would certainly raise a few eyebrows. The scope of their invasion was built upon the tactics the German nation had utilised for over a century of warfare, in which the terms Blitzkrieg and Sturmkrieg had become synonymous with the Vyrsarian conduct of war. Their movements and advances would be precise, swift, and awe-inspiring in their wake.

Put simply, they would leave no time for anyone to react.

Not that there was anything that anyone else could really do in attempt to stop them that wouldn't seem like a relatively invalid act of war. After all, West Nekulturnya did belong to them already, in practice. It was under their administration, their protection. The provisions of the Five Nations' Treaty left little in details in the way of what the occupiers could or couldn't do. With the Prussians and the Nordics agreeing to allow the Wehrmacht to take their place, everything was set.

Solingen, Aarberg, Vyrsar

The sounds of vehicle engines, machinery, and shouting dominated the air in the newly established military camp set up near the small town of Solingen. The town with a population of 2,319 had been subject to what reminded many of the older residents of the 1980s- of the Third Vanikh War and the Red October War, when Solingen had been a passageway for military convoys traveling to the front. Now, though, they experienced the familiar sight that they had managed to go without for nearly sixteen years. Tons of military equipment and vehicles, running through the entire day with every piece of kit one could imagine. Self-propelled artillery, tanks, armoured personnel carriers, with transport and cargo helicopters buzzing back and forth above. Older, large trucks transported troops through the town, and for the moment they seemed to half occupy the small town, coated in the first winter snows.

It struck young Michail as odd. At only fifteen years old, he had not experienced what it had been like to be subject to the Nekulturnyan threat. His father, he knew, had fought them, though the man refused to talk about it with his children. Now he stood on the street with several other of his classmates, bike by his side, waiting to cross. He probably would have, if not for the rumbling tanks and trucks passing with the Iron Cross emblazoned on their sides, headed toward the woods that separated the military camp from the town. All of them watched with a sort of awe, while the adults watched with a certain worried and concerned expression. Sure, they'd experienced a few helicopters or a convoy passing through once or twice a year on the way to the Nekulturnyan border. But for all the eight years they had been fighting the insurgents in Nekulturnya, they had never seen anything like this. This looked like the preparations for an all-out war. An invasion. As though the sleeping dragon of the Vyrsarian war machine had been lying dormant for the past sixteen years, and was only now being awakened to bare its sharp and murderous teeth.

Last edited by Vyrsar on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf."
-ESL
-This Nation does not represent my IRL views

Under New Management Since July 2014

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:46 am

THE FINEBERG TIMES

Thursday, Nov 20th, 2014

Gloves are off in Nekulturnya

By Tim Stanton

SOLINGEN, Vyrsar-- There can be no doubt now that the United Confederation of Vyrsar has taken the gloves off in Nekulturnya. Not only was the Volkhinian Valley seized by soldiers of the 6th Air Assault Regiment, but a large buildup of armour, aviation and mechanized infantry has taken place at the town of Solingen across the Vyrsar border from Nekulturnya.

There are questions that this journalist has about these actions however. Such as: why have the Treaty Powers not convened to discuss this matter? Why are the governments of Nordkrusen and Grossprussia accepting Vyrsar's actions, and why is New Macureus cooperating?

New Edomite expatriates in the area, fleeing the fighting and hoping for repatriation or passage to friendly nations have expressed these thoughts with frustration. They have mentioned that there has been no attempt to contact the CPO for mediation, no attempt to formally convene the treaty powers. There are concerns that this military buildup is a sign of pursuit of Germanic hegemony in the region.

Political experts around the region scoff at this; the idea of pan-Germanic cooperation has never been a reality in Cornellia. However if Vyrsar is able to establish itself as northern Acheron's policeman under the guidance of what is rumoured to be a tough new Chancellor, Northern Acheron could be in for a new deal.

The New Edomite Embassy, Zürich

Count Jared Gashmu-Sanballat threw the newspaper on his desk. "Damn it! How did that sneaky reporter find out about this before we did!" he snarled at Lieutenant-Colonel Havoth-Jair.

"Sir, with all due respect, I just got transferred here from Callaban--" the scarred lean CP officer said.

"Excuses! I wipe my ass with your excuses!" shouted Count Jared Gashmu-Sanballat, throwing the newspaper at him. "Samantha! This newspaper jerkoff made me look like a fucking jackass in front of the President! What do you think of that?"

The first thing one would see of Samantha Notaras was a pair of long slim stocking clad legs if you were doing a close in shot with a camera while panning towards the desk from a low angle that would show the lieutenant-colonel and the ambassador. You would notice the dark stockings that held in well toned calves and thighs, the sleek black high heels, the short dark skirt. Then pan upward, you would see a blue jacket and dark top whose sophistication could not hide a sumptuous bosom; chiseled light olive skinned features with large expressive but still eyes behind horn rimmed glasses, hair in a tight raven bun. "Your Excellency," she said in a voice smooth as poured cream, "No one could make you look like a jackass. Reporters are like spies,they have a funny way of getting places they shouldn't be."

"Alright, try the soft stuff on me, just try," growled Count Jared Gashmu-Sanballat, "But I'm not happy about this, and neither will the President be. All this moralizing these damned krauts have been doing, and now they humbug us about this! First Peregrino, then the vote about Arbites, now this shit!"

"What do you want to do?" said Havoth-Jair coldly. "Try to stop this move into Nekulturnya in order to spite them?"

"Don't be such a stupid ass," snarled Count Jared Gashmu-Sanballat, narrowing his eyes. "Now: the expatriates there. I want them out. I want to work out with our government and the sausage eating schnapps suckers some way of getting our people out--and repatriated!"he pointed a hand towards the window.

"That's north," said Lieutenant-Colonel Havoth-Jair.

"We should get into communication with them," suggested Samantha Notaras silkily, stretching like a cat on her chair.

"Stop vamping. You're my political adviser, Notaras, advise me! Send a communique hell. Count Jared Gashmu-Sanballat doesn't piss around with communiques," he smashed a fist into his hand. "No! He takes action! He seizes the day!"

"Why don't you let us take care of it?" suggested Samantha Notaras removing her glasses, letting one of the slim arms dangling between her pouting lush lips.

"Fine, you do that, I want to see results! Well go on, out, out!" Count Jared Gashmu-Sanballat then turned, and walked towards his window, arms folded behind his back. He didn't hear the door close, and so he stood there for a while, trying to see if he could see their reflections in the window.

"Here's the thing," said Samantha Notaras. "You just got here. You've met the ambassador..."

"What's wrong with the charge d'affaires?" asked Havoth-Jair as they briskly walked towards her office.

"Got hit by a car," she replied.

"You're kidding!"

"Wish I was; he's a great civil servant to run an embassy, but he was a bit myopic and had a bad knee; it must have locked on him and he mistook a green light for a red light. Also colour blind<" she said, opening her door and leading him in. "Tragic. Anyway they have great hospitals here, he should be out in about a month..." she slid into her chair. "We already knew about that buildup. Your predecessor briefed me on it, the Ambassador was told what he needed to know. So now...we have to do damage control. You probably know how the government would feel about an effort like this right now..."

Havoth-Jair said crisply, "We have major active deployments in Peregrino, Azurlavai, Hutanjia, Shrailleeni and now Dengali. And these people frankly left the country to go to Nekulturnya. A lot of them are believed to be criminals, deviants, heretics. Who wants them?"

"Some of them could be said to be people looking for opportunities abroad..." Samantha Notaras pointed out, watching him.

Havoth-Jair shrugged. "What will you do if the Ambassador calls the Foreign Ministry or the President directly?"

She smiled. "They sent him up here because Vyrsar wants little to do with us. And to get him out of the way. I doubt they will listen."

Havoth-Jair nodded. "Yes, him alone, I would agree. But Tim Stanon is a journalist of international standing. He has gone into some of the world's worst trouble spots. Such a man might be believed. And it would be well for us to be prepared for a shift in our nation's policy regarding Northern Acheron."
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:52 am

Adiran Embassy

Jules was a real go-getter, and that's what annoyed most of the embassy staff. Everything was an emergency, he was short with the rest of the office staff, and he kept taking credit for other people's work. Heather, another one of the ambassador's aides, was still annoyed with him over the latter issue. She had planned on handing it to Ambassador Hayes personally, and it didn't have anyone's name on it. Then that little weeny eyed it on her desk and snuck off with it to hand to Hayes.

When Jules walked into the office in a hurry, Heather knew he had something. He was moving at "ass-kissing speed," with great purpose towards the ambassador's suite. First Frank tried to stop him, but he was brushed off with a "No time to talk." Then Tabitha asked what he was doing. "Working," Jules had said smugly. That's when Heather noticed him carrying something, looked like an article of some sort. No one else tried to stop him, they didn't know, clearly.

Finally Heather found herself between Jules and the last door. Let's see if he was polite. Even a simple "excuse me" would do. If he was, she might help him out. Heather looked at Jules expectantly in his grey suit as he approached her at a brisk pace.

"Sorry sweetheart, no time to chat, gotta get this through," was all he said in a cocksure tone, expecting her to move.

Not moving, Heather simply asked "Yeah? What is it?"

He didn't stop, instead angling his way right past her and through the door, forcing her to step to one side as she did so. "You'll see."

Heather waited at the door, listening. It would take roughly...ten seconds before Jules got to the door to Hayes' office. Sure enough, he simply barged in.

"HEY! Don't you greenhorns ever knock?! Get the hell outta here!"

See, if he'd just been polite, Heather might have warned Jules that Cynthia was doing her morning yoga. In the buff. And had asked not to be disturbed.

To: The Office of Joachim Schröder, Federal Minister of Defense
Subject: Deployment
Encryption: Moderate

I hope this message finds you well. My government has instructed me to contact you regarding a Fineberg Times article reporting Vyrsarian troops massing on the Nekulturnyan border. We were of course aware of the widely-publicized counterinsurgency operation in the Volkhinian Valley, and the President naturally understands the need to counteract cross-border threats from extremist groups. However, the news of a second, considerably larger deployment was somewhat unexpected.

President DeGroot would like to hear your government's side of the story so that we may better develop our position on these events. Are military forces massing in the Solingen area as claimed by the article? If so, what is their purpose and what is the Chancellor's intent? If the article is in error, how could such a claim be misinterpreted?

The Department of Defense, however, is interested for more practical reasons, namely the potential for disruptions in the basing agreement our two nations arrived at recently. Secretary Li and the Joint Chiefs are wondering if they need to consider altering flight paths, timetables, and the like depending on the scale and nature of this operation.

All communications will be kept in the strictest confidence, as per usual.

Regards,
Ambassador Hayes
Last edited by Hittanryan on Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Vyrsar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vyrsar » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:21 am

Bundesverteidigungsministerium
Büro des Bundesverteidigungsministers

To: The Office of Ambassador Cynthia Hayes
From: Office of Joachim Schröder, Federal Minister of Defence of the Vyrsarian Confederation
Subject: RE: Deployment

Your message was well received, Ambassador. Regarding your request, I confirm that the Fineberg Times article is indeed true in its reporting of the buildup of Wehrmacht forces on the border.

Concerning the intent, I believe it is now that you must be informed, prior to public announcement, of a withdrawal of Nordic and Prussian occupying forces from their administration zones. While I am not at liberty to discuss the proceedings of negotiations between delegations of the members of the Five Nations Treaty, I am at liberty to state the result. An agreement was reached, concerning new administration of these zones. Soon effective, Vyrsarian Wehrmacht forces are to take over occupation and administration responsibilities in these zones. Naturally, taking control over such large areas requires equally large amounts of resources.

No changes involved with these events will affect any prior agreements or arrangements made with the Adiran government and military. No alteration of any previous documents or schedules is required.

Grüße,

Joachim Schröder
Federal Minister of Defence
Last edited by Vyrsar on Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf."
-ESL

Wielkilas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wielkilas » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:05 pm

Three Kilometers outside the Village of Gubin, Nekulturnya

Breath like the smoke from a cigarette escaped into the cold air of the forest. A barely visible form crept silently through the snow with a rifle at the ready. The figure crouched down into a firing position and aimed the rifle at a larger figure slowly plodding its way around the trees and underbrush of the silent forest. The rifle bearing figure lightly tapped the rifle three times with a gloved pointing finger and then pulled the trigger. A loud crack pierced the silence of the forest and the larger figure slumped down into the snow.

Standing upright, the figure bearing the rifle slung the weapon across its back and crunched its way toward the fallen figure. Several minutes later, the rifle wielder was trudging through the snow dragging what was obviously a deer. The lonely figure walked on for an hour before coming to a small cottage on at the edge of the woods. Upon reaching the cottage, the figure dropped the deer outside the cottage door and stepped inside the structure.

Once inside the warm interior of the cottage, the figure peeled off a white ushanka and revealed the face of a twenty four year old woman with icy blue eyes and long blonde hair. The woman then peeled off a suit of winter camouflage and looked across the room at tall blonde man with broad shoulders and a short, chestnut haired woman with a slim, curvy figure.

Noticing the young woman at the door, the man tilted his head and spoke in a chiding tone, “Where have you been Ania Kistiakowsky?”

Ania placed her hands on her hips and challenged the man with a stare. “I’ve been out getting us something to eat. Now why don’t you go outside and take care of it Jan Kistiakowsky.”

Ania and Jan Kistiakowsky, brother and sister, then roared laughter. “I take it you got us something good considering you were out so long,” chuckled Jan as he slipped on a pair of felt boots lined with fur.

“A nice buck, brother. It should take you a little time to take care of it.”

Jan nodded, “In the meantime, why don’t you take a bath sister. I have the tub heated and Rebeka as gotten the towels ready.”

Jan then opened the door and headed out into the snow. Once her brother was outside, Ania walked over to Rebeka and put an arm across the shoulder of her dear friend. “You heard my brother Rebeka. Let’s go take a bath while he works outside.” Rebeka looked up at Ania with deep brown eyes set in a freckle spattered face and smiled. “Yes. Let’s go do that Ania. A nice hot bath with you sounds just fine.”

Vyrsar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vyrsar » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:53 pm

En Route to the town of Gubin, Volkhinian Valley, Northeastern Nekulturnya

"Weißt du, ich jetzt mit einem schönen heißen Platte von Sauerbraten tun konnte."

"Ist es jemals eine Zeit, die Sie denken nicht über das Essen?"

"Hm. No."

"You know, I could do with a nice plate of Sauerbraten right now."

"Is there ever a time that you aren't thinking about food?"

The group of twelve soldiers moved silently through the snowy woods. The weather was worse this year, the snow coming in bulk. All the soldiers somewhat blended in with the white background, having swapped out their regular camouflage for a digitised winter pattern, their rifles wrapped in strips of fabric in the pattern as well. Their faces were shrouded by fur-lined balaclavas, thick shemagh scarves wrapped around their necks. No skin was exposed on any of them, their eyes and the skin around them hidden behind combat goggles to protect against the wind.

They were a scouting party, and due to the weather weren't carrying heavy loads that would limit their mobility. Their patrol course, originally set directly for the town of Gubin where they had received reports of stray insurgents fleeing to, had been redirected by an echoing rifle shot just a bit over an hour before. Above them, an SH-46 roared by, the attack helicopter's dual rotors thundering as it provided overwatch for the 12-man (and woman) scout team.

Suddenly, the comms came to life.

//: Kobra, beraten werden, kleine Struktur etwa drei hundert Meter von Ihrer aktuellen Position. Haltung ein-sieben-fünf.

Kobra, be advised, small structure approximately three hundred metres from your current position.Bearing one-seven-five.

Orders were traded over the comms, and the 12-man squad moved into a straight line formation, and began picking up the pace. It took them less than six minutes to reach the edge of the woods to where they could see the relatively small building. It was a small house, and very clearly inhabited if the light shining through the open windows and smoke rising out of the chimney was any indication. There was a separate, smaller wooden shed near it, and they could hear something they couldn't quite identify coming from it.

"Los."

Weapons trained on windows and doors, the squad rose from their crouching positions. With flawless hand communications, four split off from the rest to move to the shed while the rest approached and surrounded the house. While four more waited next to the front door, prepared to breach at a moments notice, the other eight searched around the building, peering in windows.

One of those eight was Erich Braun, having recently been moved down from the mountains. His search brought him around the back of the house to another open window. From this one he heard voices, which he placed as female. Peering in the window, he saw one figure facing the direction of the window briefly before he shot back out of view. Hopefully, with the aid of his winter camo, whoever it was would have thought it to be a flurry of snow.

The four at the shed were luckier. There were no windows. They heard thudding sounds from inside, as though someone was hacking at wood with an axe or a hammer. They stacked up on either side of the door and waited for the signal from their team leader.
-ESL

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:28 pm

To: The Office of Joachim Schröder, Federal Minister of Defense
Subject: Deployment
Encryption: Moderate

Thank you for your prompt reply regarding this subject. Your communication has, however, raised further questions from my government.

First, a few material questions. Why have Nordkruesen and Grossprussia chosen to withdraw their occupation forces? Will they remain part of the Five Nations? Will the new Vyrsarian occupation zone undergo any changes in its administration once the turnover is complete?

There were also some concerns over transparency. It is somewhat concerning that the international community is first learning of this decision through the press, rather than the Nord, Grossprussian, and Vyrsarian governments. Why was this decision made in relative secrecy?

We are also concerned about New Macureus' reaction if they haven't been fully appraised of these developments. At times they can be somewhat erratic.

Regards,
Ambassador Hayes

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:12 pm

The New Edomite Embassy, Zürich

"Damn, damn," muttered Count Jared Gashmu-Sanballat as he watched the Chancellor in the Reichstag. "These fraus and frauleins, they have everything where it should be. Honey and cream. It's like some sinful version of heaven. I wonder how much of a banana she can fit in her mouth..."

"Your Excellency?" said Samantha Notaras sweetly.

Count Jared Gashmu-Sanballat lurched, his hands slapping at the computer screeen, accidentally turning the volume up so that the words of Chancellor Adenauer.

"Damn you, Notaras, don't you believe in knocking?" he shouted, finding the volume at last, turning it down. "How long were you there?"

Samantha Notaras shrugged and said, "Your ringer was off, sir, I thought you'd like to know that there was a call from Mr. Dathan."

"Let me take it then..." Count Jared Gashmu-Sanballat said, reaching for the phone.

"Oh, he just wanted a message passed on to you," said Samantha Notaras. "He wanted you to know that for the time being we're to observe the situation and do nothing. It's going to be put into a memo for you later."

"Did you tell him about my ideas?" demanded Count Jared Gashmu-Sanballat, glaring at her.

"Of course,Your Excellency? How could I not? He said that they were interesting and would be given merited examination." Samantha Notaras said, leaning a shapely hip on his desk, crossing her supple legs.

"Alright--hey, who said you could lean your ass on my desk? Alright, out, I have to keep up my political study. Guide our nation's policy in trade and diplomacy. Go minx up the secretarial pool or something." he waved a hand at her, and she sashayed out of the room.

"So..." said Lieutenant-Colonel Havoth-Jair, later, while they were eating lunch together in her office, "What is the opinion in Fineberg?"

"I still can't believe how rich the food is here," she remarked. "Well, Tim Stanton is going to meet with us and share the footage and transcripts that weren't put into the Fineberg Times or the National News Daily. Isn't that patriotic of him?" she smiled at the colonel's skepticism."I know, it sounds shocking, but why look a gift horse in the mouth? News has to get pared down for the public, but he and his crew took a lot of pictures and shot a lot of film. Some of it could be useful in the right hands..."

To: Adiran Ambassador Cynthia Hayes
From: Samantha Notaras, Political Adviser, New Eomite Embassy in Vyrsar
Subject: Tourism Information
Encryption: Delivered to Ambassador's desk in sealed pouch

Dear Ambassador,

I hope that you are enjoying the blessings of what is to be hoped will be a light winter here in Vyrsar. As you are no doubt aware, in light of recent events there has been some greater friendliness between our nations in terms of intelligence sharing with regard to regional security.

I have been privileged to see some footage of the buildup and actions in West Nekulturnya and along the border with Vyrsar. It is roughly estimated that a division strength unit is being deployed with ample support.

My Ambassador is very concerned about the possibility of open war breaking out in Nekulturnya again, and with what seems to be a rising trend of territorial disputes in the region generally. However he is somewhat new to Vyrsar, and would greatly benefit from your guidance as to a response. He felt as I do that this information might be more beneficial to you than to us.

I have the honour to be
Samantha Notaras
Political Adviser
New Edomite Embassy
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

New Macureus
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Bastyak, Nekulturnaya, Special War Room

Postby New Macureus » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:13 pm

General Ios Melin read the ravings of Vair Padin in the New Macureus City Probe and smiled a little. Perfect. The woman was working out just as he planned. He knew that she was always a little on the eccentric, even paranoid side. He had uses for her, nonetheless. It was necessary to throw everyone off balance by letting Vair do her thing and while they were distracted and fuming, the main objective, annexation of Eastern Nekulturnaya, was achieved. Who cared about if the Deadorans' feathers were ruffled, let alone the Shrailleeni. The former was too arrogant of late and could use even some minor setbacks, while the latter were on the brink of internal implosion by all accounts.

Let everyone at present wonder what he was doing, what was going on Nekulturnaya, etc. for now. Keep them guessing, he had decided recently. While their backs were turned, Nekulturnaya could be carved up a like a goose among the conquerors. Dengali was a useful diversion, might score some points with the Edomites with it, perhaps, embarrass the matriarchies, etc. but it wasn't the real issue. Nekulturnaya was the goal and while the rest of the region turned its eyes to Dengali and Azurlavai, southeastern Nekulturnaya would become an integral territory of New Macureus (minus about 40% for Old Macureus, one bit of matriarchal expansion that would have to be stomached unfortunately in pursuit of the greater good).

So, yes, he would remain absent and oversee the transition, meet with his Old Macurean and Vyrsarian counterparts, and collude with them to partition Nekulturnaya. The locals might not like it, nor might the CPO, but it would be a fait accomplis, a fact accomplished.

In the meantime, he had a secret message for Vair, via encrypted mail....

Excellent work, so far, Citizen Padin. Confusion, misdirection, and diversion are necessary at this juncture. Continue your efforts with respect to Dengali. Prepare arms shipments, if feasible. If necessary, perhaps a Taboro protectorate would be a great start. General Ajam, whatever his faults, at least is not in collusion with the Shrailleeni, unlike President Andrews. Andrews ceased to be legitimate when he became a Shrailleeni puppet.

The real key is the effort to annex and assimilate Nekulturnaya. Compared to Nekulturnaya, Dengali is but a diversion, albeit a very useful one. We just need to keep the Deadorans, Shrailleeni, and Edomites diverted into Dengali while we seize Nekulturnaya. Keep the CPO busy, too, of course. Continue your excellent efforts, Citizen First Commissar. I have no complaints. The illusion of insanity could be an asset here. For one thing, they're more likely to try to appease you.

Meanwhile, a message was left with the Vyrsarian and Old Macurean consuls here...but another, secret one was sent directly to Chancellor Adenaeur herself.

To: Chancellor Adenauer

Chancellor,

Time to resolve the final partition, I do believe. The entire region will be better-off for it. Also, perhaps some gesture of antipathy to me and my government is best at this time. We should confuse the outsiders, make sure that they believe us enemies, when the opposite is so. Do you not concur?

Science and reason,
General Ios Melin of New Macureus

Let the Shrailleeni stuff that in their pipes and smoke it.
Last edited by New Macureus on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When marrying, ask yourself this question: Do you believe that you will be able to converse well with this person into your old age? Everything else in marriage is transitory. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Bisexual, polyamorous, married, atheist, center-right Republican. Yes, I'm an odd sort of fellow. Get over it.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:44 am

Adiran Embassy
Zurich

Cynthia Hayes sat beside her military attache quietly. The football match was on, on the surface an effort to make things casual, but in reality a means of distracting herself from Colonel Jardine. If it had been once, it would have been fine, but it soon became regular. It became something she couldn't ignore. In fact, it was all she could think about.

Chomp smack smack smack smack chomp smack smack...

He couldn't keep his goddamned mouth closed when he ate. Disgusting.

Jardine would have been more at home in a mess hall in the Burnt Hills, or better yet the Adir Range. The officer seemed to have antifreeze in his blood, always wearing one less layer than everyone else in the dead of the Vyrsarian winter and only admitting it was a "bit chilly" once it was any number of degrees below zero. The embassy staff suspected he ate ice cream 12 months out of the year. He was currently chomping on currywurst and periodically expressing dismay at the developments in the game.

Finally, in an effort to shut down the sounds of his mastication for a few sweet seconds of relief, Hayes broached the subject. "All right, what did you find out?"

Unfortunately, he just kept chewing and talking. "SATCOM confirms it. They're going in, looks like full division strength. Helos, armor, artillery..." he said, mercifully pausing to swallow. "And support for a sustained operation of indeterminate length."

"An entire division? They saw that?" Hayes asked.

"If they're taking over the Grossprussian and Nord zones directly, they'll need it. Especially for counterinsurgency in occupied territory. That's a manpower-heavy job," he said, taking another bite.

"So you wouldn't say it's disproportionate to the task?" she asked, wincing.

"No," he answered quickly.

Hayes was left to ponder why the Edomites had contacted her in particular, at least as best as she could over the sound of chewing cud. Whatever Jardine's thoughts, the ambassador knew that Vyrsar had been waging more or less constant counterinsurgency campaigns in Occupied Nekulturnya. The growth of refugee communities in the south had caused upheaval as they would anywhere. To top it all off, there was lingering historical animosity between the Vyrsarians and Nekulturnyans.

Maybe the hawkish new Chancellor decided enough was enough?

To: Samantha Notaras, Political Adviser, New Edomite Embassy in Vyrsar
Subject: Tourism Information
Encryption: Delivered to Ambassador's desk in sealed pouch

It is always a pleasure to hear from our Edomite colleagues, especially in the spirit of international cooperation in these otherwise tense times. We appreciate the gesture of trust in sending these materials to us.

A division strength force is a substantial deployment, to the point where we must wonder what the Vyrsarians' objectives are. Previous operations have been limited in size and scope, such as the ongoing campaign in the Volkhinian Valley and the occasional response to cross-border threats. My government shares concerns that such an operation may be provocative not only to the residents of Occupied Nekulturnya, but to New Macureus. We are currently waiting on a response from the Reichstag on several of these matters.

Occupation of Nekulturnyan soil by Vyrsarian troops was, as you'll recall, a major sticking point at the end of the last war owing to historical tensions. Now Vyrsar is deploying en masse into areas nominally administered by the Nords and Grossprussians. Perhaps communication with the Five Nations Treaty Administration would not be amiss.

If faced with a general inquiry from the international community, the organization may be forced to be more transparent in its actions. Transparency may even set some of the various players at ease, despite the opinions of some. Perhaps a war could even be averted.

Sincerely,
Ambassador Hayes

Wielkilas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wielkilas » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:48 am

Three Kilometers outside the Village of Gubin, Nekulturnya

Ania caught a brief glimpse of movement outside the window and then smiled at Rebeka and put her lips up to the shorter woman’s ear. “Why don’t you go fetch some cabbages from the cellar kochanie. I’ll go lay out some fresh clothes for when we get out of the bath.”

Rebeka smiled in return and then had Ania lean down so that she could put her lips up to the taller woman’s ear. “Of course kochanie. I’ll go fetch those right away.” Rebeka then walked over to the opposite corner of the room and lifted a wooden handle attached to the floor and opened the door leading down to the cellar. Before descending into the cellar Rebeka fluttered her eyelashes and spread another smile across her freckled cheeks. “If I take too long to get the cabbages kochanie, please come and get me.”

Ania nodded her blonde head and waited until Rebeka had the cellar door closed behind her before letting out a small sigh. She was not sure what she might have seen if it were anything at all. But it always payed to err on the side of caution, especially considering all the fighting that had gone on the valley. Too many times they had what the occupiers called “insurgents” come by the cottage and too many times some swaggering occupier or another had done the same.

She was so damn sick and tired of them both and wished they would all shrivel up and die, leave her homeland in peace, and let her sisters and brothers decide their own fate for a change. It had been almost twenty goddamn years since the last war. Most people did not give a fuck about the old regime and just as many wished for the occupiers to just leave and them rule themselves once again. Any lessons that the occupying powers had sought to teach their former enemies, that had taught a thousand times over. Enough was enough. Continuing things for much longer would only set ablaze what they thought was a fire nearly extinguished.

Ania walked over to a small table and flipped on a radio that she been able to barter for. The sound of a favorite program from her childhood came to life. A radio broadcast version of the Wielkilasin television show, Ewa’s Journey. The voice of Ewa and her traveling companion, the merchant Jagoda, then filled the room as Ania walked over to the tub and reached beneath it, pulling out a large green woolen vest which she then placed over her shoulders. She then sat down with her back against the tub and kept her eyes on the window and her ears on everything else. Hopefully her suspicions would be proven wrong.

But then, it was not often that her suspicions were. She had seen so much over the last eighteen years. Her gut, her intuition had rarely led her astray.

Vyrsar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vyrsar » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:46 am

Operation Kongrah

(Stabsunteroffizer) StUffz. Erich von Braun
62. Fallschirmjäger
6th Sturm-Division, 2nd Luftsturmregiment

Volkhinian Valley, Northeastern Nekulturnya
Three Kilometres from town of Gubin

The entire squad were still as statues. They had heard movement from inside the house, and now their rifles were trained on every opening they could see. Windows, the door. But the radio was playing a Wielkilasin program. Neks didn't listen to those sort of things in general, much less insurgents. That was what held Erich's boot from busting in the door, and led him to slamming on it with his fist several times instead. The group of four by the shed returned to join the other eight at the front door of the cabin, now knowing that they wouldn't be breaching and clearing anything.

Ever careful, their rifles remained trained in every direction the twelve could cover, including the door, as they waited for whoever was inside to answer. For good measure, none of them stood directly in front of the door, lest the occupant (or occupants) decide that firing through the wood was a good idea. It was getting colder than before, somehow, most likely attributed to the wind that had picked up in the ten minutes prior. Small flakes of snow began to fall now, the white camouflage of the soldiers not showing any hint of it on their kit.

(Stabsgefreiter) StGefr. Katja Daschner
95. Panzergrenadiere
9th Sturm-Division, 5th Panzergrenadierregiment

Solingen, Vyrsar
0100 Hours

The sounds of engines and tracks were rampant throughout the entire former campsite, all the tents and stations now gone and replaced with rows of armoured fighting vehicles waiting for their troops to board.

Helicopters buzzed overhead, many already on their way south to land troops around key targets to control movement of any and all personnel. Their job was to make sure no one was able to leave, and no one else was able to come in. Katja marveled at the scale of everything happening around her. An entire division being mobilised on a scale not seen or been necessitated for sixteen years. Though still in awe at the sheer amount of firepower and engineering might that lay spread out before her, Katja still payed close attention to the briefing by her Lieutenant, the Platoon commander. Her instructions were rather simple. Once they made it to their destination, the city of Khvalynsk, they were to begin immediately establishing a perimeter around their designated sector and then wait for further instruction. Class dismissed.

Walking towards her AFV, Katja anxiously adjusted her shoulder plates. The new armour, while certainly more protective and effective than their previous system, still took some getting used to. Her StG-30M1K, the 'Kurz', or shorter-barreled, version of the VDF's new standard StG-30M1 rifle, bounced against her chest as she walked, attached to her by a three-point sling. She made it to her AFV in no time, the crew performing last-minute checks and system diagnostics on the massive armoured vehicle. She climbed into the troop compartment, sitting in a seat next to the open door. Unclipping her rifle from the sling, she checked to make sure the chamber was empty and the safety and charging handle locks engaged before she placed the rifle, facing-barrel up, between her legs. She removed her helmet and placed it in her lap, pulling down her half-facemask. Her hair was pulled up in a loose ponytail, the microphone of her headset raised up and away from her mouth. She checked her watch.

Ten minutes. Katja closed her eyes. Might as well take a nap for the long road ahead.

Bundesverteidigungsministerium
Büro des Bundesverteidigungsministers

To: The Office of Ambassador Cynthia Hayes
From: Office of Joachim Schröder, Federal Minister of Defence of the Vyrsarian Confederation
Subject: RE: Deployment

As I had stated before, I am not at liberty to discuss the proceedings of the negotiations with Grossprussia and Nordkrusen until the agreement is made among all members of the Five Nations Treaty to make all of the negotiation records public. Administrative matters, as well as future plans for the Five Nations, are included in those proceedings.

The decision was made to make the announcement only when everything was in place to complete the transition, in the mind of maintaining security against hostile parties who would seek to take advantage of an incomplete transitional period to cause harm. I can assure you that the Macureans were included in the negotiations, and are so completely informed on everything that is going on.

Grüße,

Joachim Schröder
Federal Minister of Defence
-ESL

Vyrsar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vyrsar » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:11 am

95. Panzergrenadiere

Khvalynsk, West Nekulturnya
1400 Hours

Katja listened intently to the radio communications coming from her headset. Barely an hour into the operation, and there were already crowds verging on rioting. She looked over her shoulder into the faces of her two fireteams in the troop compartment of their AFV, their faces illuminated only by the red light next to the door and the screens of the crew in the front. Through the thick hull she couldn't hear anything, but the opening of the commander's hatch above let some sound in. She could hear the rotors of helicopters passing above, the hum of tank engines and the rumbling of their tracks as they drove, and the roar of the crowd, all mixing in what Katja could only describe as the sound of chaos.

"Werden Sie fertig zu gehen. Fünf Minuten."
"Get ready to go. Five minutes."

Katja looked towards the Commander of the vehicle and nodded at him in acknowledgement. The eyes of the other seven in the troop compartment on her, she took a deep breath and clicked on her comms so the rest of the squad in the APC behind them could hear as well.

"Recht. Wenn die Rampe fällt, wünsche ich einen unmittelbaren 180-Grad-Umkreis um die Rückseite dieses Fahrzeugs," Katja began. Her eyes scanned those of the men in the compartment and she saw only determination and concentration.

"Dieses ist Massenkontrolle. Ich will Sicherheiten an, es sei denn, dass Sie sofort und direkt mit einem tödlichen Drohung dargestellt werden. Andernfalls erschießt nur. Verstanden?"

"Right. When the ramp drops, I want an immediate 180 degree perimeter around the back of this vehicle."

"This is crowd control. I want safeties on unless you are immediately and directly presented with a lethal threat. Otherwise, tasers only. Understood?"

A chorus of 'Jawohl' rang out through the vehicle and over the comms, and Katja nodded and turned her attention to her weapon with a murmur of 'Gut'.

She clicked off the bolt lock and safety with her thumb, pulling back the charging handle of the weapon and chambering a round. She flicked the safety back on and opened the strap of the holster of her taser, affixed to her hip whilst her sidearm was strapped to her thigh. The rest of the compartment followed suit, the sounds of moving bolts echoing and dominating.

As the vehicle came to a stop, she heard the sound of the crowd intensify and the sound of a man shouting over a loudspeaker in German. The Commander shouted a preparation call, and the ramp lowered.

Crowd

"Los!"

The troops rushed out of the vehicles, greeted by a sight they wouldn't soon forget. Two crowds of people, many holding up signs, many waving flags, all of them near violently shouting and pushing against each other though giving a wide berth in the presence of the two tanks that had accompanied the APCs. The chanting of the crowd intensified the more the man on the loudspeaker kept talking. He himself was on the roof of a car in the middle of it all. Already, there were police trying to keep the two opposing crowds at bay. They were administrative authorities, Nekulturnyans who worked with the Five Nations to keep civil order. After securing a perimeter around the vehicles, the troops moved to help the police, who were armed with riot shields. The APCs rolled slowly forward, and from the back of a police truck grenade launchers loaded with tear gas and tear gas shells were handed out. For now, it seemed like they might not need to be used, but the crowd was getting more violent.

As Katja looked at the admittedly impressive riot shield wall being held by the police, she saw a man slip through. He seemed about 20, extremely slim and lanky with a bandana wrapped around the lower half of his face. In his hand he clutched a small stick, and in his other a lighter.

She didn't even think, only reacted. In one fluid motion Katja drew her taser and pulled the trigger, the prongs shooting out and striking the man in the chest where he stood, a mere three metres away from her. He collapsed instantly, crumpling to the ground as his muscles seized up and his body went stiff, his mouth open in a scream that was absorbed by the sound of the crowds. Katja kept her finger on the trigger, moving the taser to her left hand so she could use her right to bring her rifle to bear. She let go once she was within five feet of him, immediately dropping and placing her knee on the man's chest to keep him down, rifle in his face. She motioned for one of her men to assist, and she kept her rifle trained on him as the Corporal flipped the man over and secured him with a ziptie, roughly pulling the man to his feet and practically dragging him to the holding area of a police truck.

Someone must have seen the entire ordeal occur and riled up the crowd, for Katja heard the pops of tear gas grenades going off. On reflex she took off her helmet, reaching for the bag slung across her shoulder and drawing her gas mask. She pulled it on, securing the straps and then re affixing her helmet.

It was hell.

(Stabsunteroffizer) StUffz. Aayden Schmidt
92. Fallschirmjäger
9th Sturm-Division, 2nd Luftsturmregiment

//: Kopieren Sie das. Behälter im Kontakt vom Hügel Two-Six-Zero, Handfeuerwaffen und RPG-Feuer nehmend.

//: Uh, das erhalten. Bedarfskoordinaten für Luftunterstützung.

//: Ich habe keine Koordinaten. Sie sind ganz über dem verdammten Hügel.

//: Scheiße. Berichtigen Sie, behalten Sie gegenwärtige Lage bei. Sie werden den gesamten Hügel harken. Unfall?

//: Acht verwundet, ein getötet. AVK-Soldat.

//: Kopieren.

Copy that. Troops in contact from Hill Two-Six-Zero, taking small arms and RPG fire.

Uh, got that. Need coordinates for air support.

I have no coordinates. They're all over the fucking hill.

Shit. Alright, maintain current posture. I'm going to have them rake that entire hill. Casualties?

Eight wounded, one KIA. AVK trooper.

Copy.

Not too soon after the radios were squawking with targeting orders, the sounds of jet engines were roaring above the position of Second Company of 92. Fallschirmjäger regiment. They were situated behind a berm in a field, with wooded area behind them. In front, about seven hundred metres away, a much larger hill leading to the mountains near the border. And dug into that hill were plenty of angry insurgents, estimated by intelligence to be at least company strength and one of the last bastions of resistance in the West. About a hundred metres to their right, situated in the woodline, were four K2A8 tanks that had been hitting the hillside for the past hour using both chemical shells and high explosive rounds from their cannons, receiving regular resupply from behind the line.

Most of the troops of the company had not bothered with attempting to do much beyond suppressive fire when necessary at the range, with their opponents too well concealed in the brush. They had delegated those tasks to their machine gunners and designated marksmen, who were all situated at the top of the berm staring through the optics on their weapons. Occasionally a shot would ring out or a machine gun would loose a burst towards the hill, but at that point the combatants on both sides had decided that preserving their ammunition as opposed to trying to land potshots at that range was a better idea. Now the firefight was between marksmen. Their eight casualties had all been stabilised and medevaced, none with too severely life-threatening wounds. Some with shrapnel from RPG shots, others with wounds from stray bullets. The one casualty had been a Deadoran volunteer of the AVK detachment they had deployed there with. The poor bastard, for all his luck, had been the one to catch a round in the throat.

It was just another day for Aayden Schmidt. A five-year veteran of the VDF, he had been in situations like this plenty before, and he now sat on the top of the berm, serving as a spotter for an MG-80 gunner who was set up beside him. Hearing the sound of attack jets above, he looked to the sky enough to see a flash and then a trail of white smoke race to the ground, striking the hillface with a relatively small explosion. A moment later, the sound reached Aayden's ears. He heard the radio squawking in the back of his head, but his mind didn't register the words. He quickly assumed that it was redirection as he watched the jets move into position for a strafing run.

But he knew a strafing run wouldn't accomplish much, so he pondered what they were doing for a moment. He didn't have to wait long to find out. The jets dropped small canisters which freefalled for only a short time before detonating into large white clouds, lines jetting out towards the ground and setting the hillside on fire in a white, murderous cloud.

White Phosphorous.

And they kept bombing, with a combination of white phosphorous and cluster munitions, obliterating the hillface into nonexistence in a burning, exploding hell. From Aayden's position, it could have been as though he was watching a war movie. But he wasn't, and on the hill there were men dying. The thought didn't faze him. It didn't faze any of them. They'd been through enough so that they were able to bottle it up.

It never got easier, anyone who said it did was a liar. For the soldiers, there was no getting easier. They only learned how to deal with it.

"Poor bastards," murmured the gunner beside Aayden. He could only grunt in agreement, lifting his head from where it rested against the stock of his rifle. As if to make some sort of imitation of the morbid spectacle, small white flakes began falling once more, as though the field and woods and soldiers weren't all already covered in the stuff. The tank cannons boomed, shocking Aayden back into reality from his entranced state. The jets were gone, the hillside in front of them still clouded in the white mist, standing out against the grey sky.

Once that mist cleared, it would be their turn to deal death.
-ESL

New Macureus
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Sanctions reimposed on Shrailleen, Deadora!

Postby New Macureus » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:40 am

New Macureus City Probe,
Alar Darin

In a clearly decisive response against the rumored aggression against Dengali that First Commissar Vair Padin has insisted took place on the part of Deadora and the Shrailleeni Empire, sanctions have been imposed on both nations, beginning with a punitive tariff on Shrailleeni cocoa and coffee, as well as Deadoran spirits and sex toys, effective immediately. Also included in the sanctions is the closing of all New Macurean consulates in both nations and the immediate recall of Ambassadors to both nations. This, in effect, amounts to the full suspension of diplomatic relations with both nations. The tariff on both nations is set to be increased by 4 macs each, which while not prohibitive for more affluent New Macureans, would be for the rest of the population.

Said the First Commissar, "We cannot merely permit, without some form of sanctions and retaliation, continued aggression against both nations. There must be a price to pay for the aggression of Deadora against Dengali and Shrailleen's complicity in that aggression."

While there were some critics who assert that the First Commissar has no evidence to support the claim of Deadoran aggression or a Shrailleeni conspiracy to collaborate with them in a partition of Dengali between the two matriarchies, Padin continued to claim, in fact, that such a sinister deal is in progress.

An unnamed source, however, calls this, "Paranoid ravings unworthy of a New Macurean leader, given their illogical nature. Vair Padin is a lunatic zealot, obsessed with her not-so-dispassionate view of all matriarchies. She is long known to despise all matriarchies with a malice bordering on pathological. Someone, preferably the Supreme Commander, needs to impose corrective measures on her detrimental conduct."

Personally, I have not able to verify any such proof or even circumstantial evidence of such an invasion, as of yet, but I anticipate continued endeavors in this respect, so as to ascertain the plausibility or probability of these assertions. It could well be that the First Commissar is simply privy to intelligence not known to the anonymous source, or that she has embellished such things due to hallucinations and paranoia.

Of course, meanwhile, by contrast, the silence regarding the recent Vyrsarian actions in Nekulturnaya is deafening, prompting this reporter to inquire publicly why the one alleged aggression is condemned so vigorously, while the known expansion of Vyrsar's role in occupying Nekulturnaya is not discussed. None in the Foreign Commissariat would comment on my inquiries on that particular topic.
When marrying, ask yourself this question: Do you believe that you will be able to converse well with this person into your old age? Everything else in marriage is transitory. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Bisexual, polyamorous, married, atheist, center-right Republican. Yes, I'm an odd sort of fellow. Get over it.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:12 pm

'Why am I here?'

That was the question Catharine Rocher was trying to answer amidst the cacophony of Khvalynsk. Katy was an Adiran student studying abroad in Vyrsar who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. She was an attractive girl of medium height with high cheekbones, full lips, brown hair with bangs that was tied back loosely and tumbled just below her shoulders, a slim waist with broad hips, long toned legs, and a large bosom that not even her coat could really conceal. She was wearing a grey toggle coat, a loose blue skirt that stopped several inches above her knees, and her legs were encased in a pair of black leggings.

A week ago when they planned this little trip, there hadn't been any signs of trouble. When they crossed the border two days ago, there hadn't been any signs of trouble. They just wanted to do a bit of exploring, take some pictures, check out some places they weren't supposed to see. In this case, they were visiting defunct mid-20th century Nekulturnyan military bases, built for wars that never quite reached them. In addition to the structures, some of the spare parts and obsolete equipment even remained, having been neglected by shiftless later Czars. Normally Katy wouldn't have ventured this far afield, but her Vyrsarian friends assured her things would be fine and her historical curiosity got the better of her. She hadn't dressed properly for the outing, either.

As it turned out, they couldn't have timed their excursion any worse. When the group returned to the city, they found the population agitated. There were large groups of people all over place, many wearing masks and goggles, with a few respirators thrown in for good measure. Later Katy's group would glean that these were protections against teargas. Naturally, they decided to leave the city, but the Occupation authorities were locking the city down. Police turned their car back at the city limits, nobody in or out for the time being. Apparently it was even less safe to travel, but none of the police would say why. The driver of their car was directed to a parking garage that was being watched by police. Vandalism was expected.

Then they made another mistake: they split up to find a place to stay. There was no wireless coverage for their smartphones, so they had to look around the city. It should have occurred to them that cell service would be interrupted by emergency services. That's how they were now all separated.

Katy got the worst luck of them all, when she turned a corner and ran straight into a crowd of protestors heading for the city center. She had seen protests on college campuses in Adiron before, but this one was clearly different. It was angrier, denser, and there was a weight hanging over the crowd as though some built-up tension could snap at any time. She tried to simply pass through them, but a man with a respirator stopped her as she tried to walk through. He confronted her with a couple of bursts of Russian, pointing in the direction the protestors were walking. All Katy could do was shake her head. Eventually Respirator Guy gave her a knowing look.

"Wohin Sie gehen?" he asked suspiciously, switching to German.

"Nirgendwo," she said, which turned out to be the wrong thing to say. The man sensed her apprehension.

"Sind Sie mit der Polizei?" the man asked in an accusing tone.

Her eyes widening, noticing other protestors looking her way, she said. "Nein, ich soll ein paar Freunde treffe."

Now the man folded his arms, clearly not planning on letting her go. He and a number of solid-looking men, also with bandanas and goggles, were now looking at her leeringly, having identified her by her accent as a foreigner. "Es ist nicht sicher da draußen für einen Ausländer. Wir werden Ihre Freunde." He motioned for her to start moving with them.

Swallowing, she found herself marching along, surrounded by slogans she didn't follow. They were talking about history she was only vaguely familiar with that visibly agitated any number of people in the crowd. The man in the respirator kept sneaking glances at her. She wasn't sure if he was ogling her or if he thought she was with the police, but his gaze felt like insects crawling on her skin either way. That's when she saw a second crowd lining up in opposition to the one she was stuck in. Now, if she tried to leave she wasn't sure what would happen. Not only might her side think she was some kind of traitor, but the other side would associate her with them too. She was terrified to stay, and terrified to leave.

That's when huge, menacing-looking vehicles pulled up to the protest. They looked like tanks. Why had they sent armored vehicles? Was something going to happen? There was a phalanx of armored riot police bearing down on both crowds. On the news this is when things usually snapped. Now she really wanted to leave, even more than before. If she just looked nonchalant enough, she could vanish into the crowd...

Or at least she could, if she wasn't being watched. She suddenly felt a strong grip on her arm. "Wohin Sie gehen?" Respirator Guy repeated.

"Ich habe Angst..." Katy said. The man said nothing, shaking his head as his grip tightened. Her hand grabbed at his meekly, slipping into English "Ow! Let go of me!"

Before it escalated any farther, however, something happened at the firing line. The crowd's attention shifted abruptly as a man seemingly forced his way forward, then abruptly went stiff and collapsed. Respirator Guy seemed to notice, and yelled "Danil!" At first he dragged Katy along with him, who started prying his fingers off of her.

Not long after that though, a series of loud pops went off and he let go. She only saw why too late: clouds were rising from within the crowd. The tear gas started out slow, then grew into billowing white plumes of smoke that sent the crowd into a panic responding to it. It hadn't been a riot, why had they gassed them? The crowd started dispersing but not retreating, only trying to get away from the gas. Trouble was that the crowd was too thick to really run.

Katy wasn't a protestor, not really anyway. She hadn't worn bandanas and goggles. Her eyes teared up immediately, like chopping an onion but orders of magnitude worse. The skin on her face started to sting, trying to wipe it off didn't help at all. Soon her eyes felt like they were on fire and they clenched shut involuntarily. She stopped for a moment, seeing how she couldn't see where she was going, but that proved to be a mistake. The next assault was on her nose and throat. Katy started to cough uncontrollably. Her nose ran until finally she was so congested she couldn't breathe through it anymore. Her throat felt like she had just drank acid.

Finally she just kept trying to walk, anything to get out of the gas, get out of the line of fire...
Last edited by Hittanryan on Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vyrsar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vyrsar » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:28 pm

95. Panzergrenadiere

The tear gas managed to disperse most of the crowds, the ones who weren't prepared. They began moving away from the riot police, exposing the ones who they really wanted to see. While those unprepared moved away, the others advanced towards the riot police, kicking at the shields, beating at them with bats and pipes, and threw rocks and pieces of rubble. Katja felt a tap on her shoulder, and one of her soldiers extending a magazine. She immediately saw the black bullets- rubber- and took it, knowing full well what they would have to do. She ejected her magazine of live ammunition and cleared the chamber, before loading the magazine of rubber bullets.

Looking up, she watched one of the riot police get pulled into the crowd by the shield and fall to the ground. She moved closer to the line, rifle at the ready, and at the first sign of a raised bat she raised her own weapon, trained it at the group of rioters surrounding the fallen officer, and fired three rounds. Three other of her soldiers followed suit, dispersing the crowd around the officer so that his comrades could drag him back behind the shield wall. Other officers, not dressed in riot gear, immediately began to tend to the man's injuries. Though she only caught a glimpse of bruises and blood, but she looked up. With the aid of sporadic fire from rifles firing rubber bullets, and the presence of the armoured vehicles immediately behind the riot police, the shield wall began to steadily progress forward, beating back the violent rioters. The other crowd had, for the most part, dispersed to the sound of gunfire, though those that remained cheered on the police and soldiers.
-ESL

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:59 pm

As the teargas set in, Katy found herself struggling for breath as the gas displaced the oxygen. Every time she took a desperate gasp of air, though, she inhaled even more of the lachrymator. She held up a sleeve to cover her mouth, which turned out to be a mistake; the chemical had deposited on her coat and she wound up sucking even more of it in. The cumulative effects of the gas meant she couldn't open her eyes even if she wanted to, but she had to keep stumbling along if she ever wanted to get out of that burning, stinging hell the police created.

Eventually, however, her blindness got the better of her. Abruptly, when she took another step, her foot got caught on something. Turned out it had slid into the curbside opening of a storm drain without her realizing. With a sharp cry she toppled over onto the sidewalk, wrenching her ankle but managing to catch herself enough to keep from hitting her head. Now she couldn't run even if she wanted to. There were footsteps, shouting all around her. If a crowd rushed her way, she was going to be helpless. Trying to feel around, she crawled over to the wall of the nearest building, her ankle now throbbing along with her eyes.

Mercifully, the wind happened to shift long enough for her to open her eyes and take a look around. It was clear this was now a riot, not just a protest. Men armed with improvised weapons were striding forward with purpose. What could possibly motivate somebody to do something like that? Just then, there was gunfire. Instinctively, she threw her hands over her head and ducked down, a scream escaping her lips as she did so. The police were fighting back, steadily beating down anyone who advanced on the line.

What would they do if they caught her? It looked like they assumed the entire crowd was violent, and she'd been in that crowd. Fighting to get back on her feet, she felt the burning return and her eyes snapped shut again. Forced to limp, grimacing in pain and using the wall for guidance, she pressed on, away from the fighting as best as she could.

Vyrsar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vyrsar » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:32 pm

95. Panzergrenadiere

Out of the corner of her eye, Katja saw a flash in the sky, and turned her head to look. She only caught a glimpse of a small flaming ball before it smashed into the ground, exploding into flames near the side of one of the tanks. It wounded several of the riot police, who collapsed with pieces of glass shards stuck deep into the unarmoured backs of their legs. Molotovs were lethal force, according to the rules of the administration.

Katja looked up to the top of the tank, where the loader had come out of his hatch and was finishing loading the MG-80 with a belt of nonlethal ammunition, a last resort to disperse the violent part of the crowd if they got extremely violent. It seemed that their last resort had come faster than was expected.

Already having orders to fire, the MG-80 ripped open onto the rioters in front of the shield wall. The machine gun sounded like a buzzsaw, raking them with rubber rounds at 1100 rounds per minute. Predictably, many of them collapsed right their and then, and were quickly overtaken by the police who wasted no time in subduing the fallen rioters. Those who managed to not get hit began to rethink their plan. They had been prepared for riot police, prepared for shotguns loaded with rubber bullets.

But now they were faced with actual machine guns, and men manning them who weren't hesitant whatsoever to utilise them. The rioters began backing up, some still attempting to throw rocks but most not willing to face armoured vehicles and machine guns unprepared. They were chased by sporadic fire from the dismounted Infantry and rocks thrown by the pro-Vyrsarian protesters.

Katja herself stayed back a bit behind the advancing riot police and armoured vehicles, directing her soldiers and support police on where to place detained rioters and how to arrange their vehicles. She then turned her head, and saw several crumpled forms laying on the side of the sidewalk. She called for three of her men and one medic, and walked over, rifle still raised in the general direction of the retreating rioters. The first crumpled body she came to was that of a bald man, middle-aged with a skull tattoo on the back of his neck and a respirator strapped to his face. She reached down and pulled off her glove, touching two fingers to the side of his throat. A pulse. He was only unconcious. The cause wasn't too difficult to spot, as he had an angry and vicious red welt on his head that was bleeding profusely. She left him to the medic, and walked over to the next body that was collapsed against a wall. This one, she noticed, was quivering. She rolled the small, quivering body over and was met with the teary, stuffy face of a young girl, about Katja's own age. She was extremely attractive, Katja noticed, even all afflicted with the effects of tear gas. Katja briefly wondered what she must look like to this girl. A mask-covered face behind a gas mask, clad in combat equipment.

Her next thought and action was calling the medic over from where he was tending to the wounded man. This girl was clearly not one of the violent ones. No respirator or mask, dressed as though she was going downtown rather than a protest.

"Schwere Tränengas Exposition, Zivilist. Behandle sie," Katja said quickly, and the medic nodded, drawing a small kit from the satchel slung along his shoulder labeled 'Tränengas'. A tear gas exposure kit.
-ESL

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:51 pm

Katy didn't even make it to the end of the block before the wind shifted again. The last reprieve only took the edge off, but when the gas returned in force it was now unbearable. Suddenly, instead of the occasional pop of a gas grenade or the sporadic rifle shot, Katy heard all hell break loose. It sounded like somebody had opened up with a machine gun. Katy had no idea if all the gunfire was nonlethal, but she was now in a panic.

Still hobbling along, she huddled up against an alcove, now shuddering with fear of a bullet that might slam into her. She heard people screaming as the rubber bullets tore into them; to her ears it sounded like they were just being gunned down in the street. Why? Why had she come here? Now in a panic, she wondered if this would be the end, curled up against the side of some building in Nekulturnya, her eyes, nose, and throat in agony. Her thoughts turned to her family. Her parents, constantly bickering and trying to pretend like they'd never gone to a single party at her age. Her brother, the jarhead who wouldn't quit the Army no matter how worried they all got. The big brown ball of energy and love who always showed up, panting, tail wagging, toy in mouth.

'Mom...Dad...Hank...Cinnamon...I'm sorry, I'm so sorry...' she thought, trembling and now sobbing not just from the gas but out of raw fear.

That's when a pair of hands pulled her away from the building. She still couldn't see, she couldn't even speak anymore. Who was it? Was it Respirator Guy? She remembered the look he gave her. She felt so helpless that she panicked, struggled a bit against the medic until she heard a woman say "Schwere Tränengas Exposition, Zivilist. Behandle sie."

German. Professional.

Forgetting herself, she managed to croak out a sentence in English. "Wait, what are you going to do?" Her voice cracked, ragged, and the effort sent her into a fit of coughing.

Vyrsar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vyrsar » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:07 am

95. Panzergrenadiere

Katja felt a small pang at the terrified sound in the girl's voice. She sounded so helpless, afraid. Another burst of machine gun fire rang out. She looked at the medic, identified by his nametape on his body armour as 'Schmidt'.

"I need you to not speak and breath through this, okay?" he said in a calm and soothing voice, rolling the girl onto her back and placing and acidified cloth over her mouth. The cloth would protect against the effects of breathing in the gas. He reached back into the kit and drew a plastic bottle. Saline solution. He returned back to the girl, placing a calming hand on her shoulder.

"Now, I need you to stay calm and open your eyes. I'm going to rinse them out for you. Can you do that?"

Katja kept her rifle trained in the general direction of the retreating rioters, blocking out the conversation behind her. The girl certainly wasn't from there. She spoke with, what Katja identified, a distinctly Adiran accent. The thought that it was them who did this to an innocent civilian was disturbing, but Katja didn't let the thought reach her emotionally. She didn't know how Schmidt did it.
-ESL

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:23 am

Despite breathing through the cloth, Katy continued to cough uncontrollably for at least a minute, her throat aggravated simply by saying a few words. Though the cloth might've been neutralizing the gas before it entered her lungs, but her throat was still irritated from continued exposure. The VDF had really poured on the gas, trying to overwhelm rioters who showed up prepared for such an event with masks and respirators. For an unprotected bystander like Katy, she'd been breathing it in unfiltered the entire time.

Eventually she heard the medic repeat his instructions, but she had to fight to stop coughing. She was coughing so hard she couldn't even stay still to hold her eyes open. Finally, she got it to a point where she only coughed every other breath. Then she realized she'd have to open her eyes, and then she'd have to put saltwater in them.

Managing to open one eye, she had to hold her eyelids open with her fingers. It felt like her eye was on fire, the world swam around her, and she felt hot tears spilling onto her cheek. Then it got worse, stinging beyond belief as the saline poured into her now-bloodshot eye. After a moment or two, she managed to work up the energy to open her other eye as well. Coughs came at regular intervals, but at last the medic managed to do what he needed to do. Now the pain in her respiratory tract and eyes had subsided enough that she could actually feel the stinging and burning on her skin as well. Her face, neck, and hands were stinging badly.

Vyrsar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vyrsar » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:02 am

95. Panzergrenadiere

"Good, good. You're doing great," Schmidt encouraged, continuing to flush her eyes with the solution. It would decontaminate the CS gas effectively and quickly, and once he decided that her eyes had been thoroughly cleaned he placed the solution and the kit back into his satchel.

"I'm going to move you so I can help you more, okay? Don't panic," he told Katy calmly, reaching under her and lifting her up in a bridal carry. Katja glanced back at him and, seeing that he was standing, stood as well, keeping her rifle trained. He began carrying the girl back to one of the AFVs that was sitting idle, and set her down on the ramp and motioned for her to sit. The crowds had been fully dispersed for now, the police working to place all the men they had detained in armoured transport trucks. She seemed to be calm, for now, at least. Schmidt sat down next to her, Katja standing above them surveying the scene. She heard the sirens of emergency ambulances as well, and the hushed voices of many bystanders. She looked down as Schmidt began talking to the girl, taking off her helmet and setting down on a raised wheeled stretcher that was sitting in the street next to the vehicle. She took off her gas mask and her facemask, breathing in the air that was now cleared of the CS gas. Schmidt followed suit, placing his own helmet down on the ramp and pulling his balaclava around his neck, placing his gas mask on top of the helmet. While Katja didn't look to be a day older than 18, Schmidt looked to be about in his early-twenties.

"Right, I need you to take off your jacket," he requested, helping Katy out of it and then placing it to the side. He climbed into the troop compartment of the AFV, coming back out onto the ramp with a camouflage jacket, the pattern matching that of their uniforms. He placed that on the ramp, removing the kit again and taking out a bottle and a clean cloth. He opened the bottle and put the cloth into it, withdrawing it and wringing it out to remove the excess liquid. He lifted Katy's sleeves.

"This is just soap and water," he said, and proceeded to begin to wipe down the parts of her skin that had been exposed. The soap and water acted the same as the saline solution, decontaminating the CS gas. He wiped it across her face and, now done, handed her the jacket.

"Sorry you won't be able to use your own. Needs to be washed," he explained. Katja watched all this silently, the mic part of her headset raised away from her mouth and her rifle left to hang against her chest on its sling, her arms crossed.
-ESL

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:01 am

Katy nodded that she was fine with Schmidt carrying her. For her part, she just let him haul her off, though she tried to help by placing an arm around his neck to steady herself. Now that she was able to breathe again and the riot appeared to be dissipating, her heart was no longer pounding in her throat. Furthermore, whether or not she was under arrest, the police got her away from that mob. Why had the confrontation turned violent so suddenly? What motivated all those people to start a fight they couldn't win? What was worth it?

They sat her down by an ambulance. Still coughing lightly, simply breathing the cold fresh air felt wonderful. Being able to see again was a joy; though her eyes still felt raw they weren't unbearable. The noise was even dying down. No more machine gun fire, no more screams, just a few sirens.

Katy somewhat hesitantly took off her jacket. She was wearing a white V-neck cable knit sweater that fit her fairly snugly, showing off her rather impressive bust. As Schmidt wiped down her skin, she shivered in the cold as the water evaporated. Folding her arms, she gratefully accepted the jacket and draped it around her. "Thank you," Katy finally replied, her voice hoarse but already a lot less shaky than before. "I...how does it need to be washed?" she asked, hoping it hadn't ruined it entirely.

After she got her answer, she looked around. It certainly looked like a riot had just taken place. "I don't understand what's happening. I was trying to find my friends, who I came here with, when I bumped into that crowd. Asked me if I was with the police, they didn't believe me when I said I wasn't. They made me come with them." Looking over, she saw a man on a stretcher, a flash of dark red blood made her shiver and look away. "Why are they like this? Who are they?" she said, addressing the two VDF.
Last edited by Hittanryan on Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vyrsar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vyrsar » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:18 pm

95. Panzergrenadiere

"Your jacket just needs to be washed with soap and water," Schmidt replied. They both calmly listened to the girl's story, pausing once she voiced her last two questions.

As Schmidt opened his mouth, Katja quickly answered instead, cutting him off.

"They are like this because they do not want us here," she said rather coldly. Schmidt nodded, and Katja broke a little smirk at his admittedly amazing effort to not sneak a glance at Katy's voluptuous bust. Damn, even Katja found herself sneaking a glance, her own sexual preference drawing her.

"May we see your passport or another form of ID?" Katja questioned politely, looking down at Katy with a concerned look.

"And may we also have the pleasure of knowing your name?" Schmidt asked, a now warm and friendly smile on his face. Katja raised an eyebrow at him. He chuckled.

The scene of it all was a mess. Blood and broken glass were scattered around the ground everywhere, and the EMTs and police were carrying back far more wounded bodies than was normal. It was the clear now why the machine gun had had such an effect. It had literally ripped through the crowd, its awe-inspiring rate of fire assuring that no one who was in its path escaped. It was like a warzone.
-ESL

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:00 pm

Pulling the jacket on all the way in the cold, she stopped to think what material the jacket was made of. Hand-wash should be fine. Something seemed to don on her. "What about the rest of my clothes? Do they still have stuff on them? Should I not touch them?" Katy asked, motioning to her skirt and leggings. She really, really didn't want to repeat the experience of having CS in her eyes.

"They are like this because they do not want us here."

Katy had about two million questions about everything that was happening, between dealing her own exposure to tear gas to the riots that caused it in the first place. "But you've been here for years, right? Did something happen?" She then coughed and sniffled loudly. Her voice was nasally. When they asked her for ID, she nodded and opened up her purse. The first thing she pulled out, however, was a tissue. As she handed her passport to the police, she somewhat noisily blew her nose.

"Sorry, I still can't breathe through my nose," she said in an even more congested tone than before. "My name is Catharine Rocher, I'm at Dresden International for the semester...do you have tissues somewhere?"

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents