NATION

PASSWORD

RP Underground '14 [Challenge Competition, Hub Thread, Open]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
New Azura
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

RP Underground '14 [Challenge Competition, Hub Thread, Open]

Postby New Azura » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:21 pm

The Ultimate Writing Challenge for NationStates Roleplayers!
Come and test your mettle in a fun and innovative skills competition for players in all tech levels!

UNDERGROUNDDIRECTORY
THE COMPETITIONRULESPARTICIPANTSNOMINEESOFFICIAL CHAT
Please Visit the 2014 Best Roleplayer Tournament, Hosted by The Greater Vakolicci Haven by Clicking Here!

ANIMPORTANTMESSAGEFROMTHEOP
This thread is meant for entertainment purposes only, and for participants to have fun.
It is not an exercise to determine who is 'superior' or 'the best' in our writing community.
Those who seek to politicize this competition will be asked to refrain from participating.

The RP Underground 2014 Challenge Series is a friendly competition designed to provide participants with a series of writing challenges in a single-elimination tournament format. Sixteen roleplayers from all tech levels—accepting invitees from a pool of nominated nations provided by readers—will be paired off via random draw into the tournament field. Each round of the tournament will present the participants with a specific writing challenge, requiring participants to submit a sample of their writing to meet the requirements of the challenge. Each match will be qualitatively judged by four judges, each of whom will award a single point to the winner of each match in their judgment. A popular vote will count towards a fifth and possible tiebreaker point for each match. This format will continue until only one roleplayer remains in the series.

This goes without saying: as an unsanctioned competition being held for sheer creative and entertainment value, this tournament is not to be taken as an official statement by the forum moderators, this website, or the OP on the quality or talent of any one member of the series. The OP and judges would like to commend everyone who takes part, either in the competition itself or through participation in nominating and voting roleplayers in. Seeing as this is not a tournament to address qualitative labels such as 'best roleplayer' or 'best in specific tech levels', the purpose of this competition will be to provide a public forum for writers to test their creativity and skill-set against their peers. Any unsportsmanlike conduct, from verbal name-calling or flamebaiting to trolling or arguments will result in the person's banishment from the challenge.

Once the field has been established and paired, the tournament will begin. Each match in a given round will be conducted under the same challenge as all others. Participants will have one week from the opening of each round to complete their submissions according to each challenge. Participants may submit either a sample of their body of work, or create a new entry for each challenge; however, word counts will be explicitly enforced for any submission. All content, whether formerly written or completed exclusively for this competition must adhere to the content rules of the forums; improper submissions will be deleted as per the consideration of Moderation. Decisions rendered by the popular vote and judges will be presented en masse at the close of each round, and will be considered final upon their submission to the thread creator.

To create an amicable and unbiased environment for thread participants, the only roleplayers who are prohibited from participating as challengers are the parties who will act as judges for the competition itself. Judges will be held to an explicit standard of unbiased consideration for all work presented during the tournament, and must explain in a written statement why they judge in the favor of a given player for each match. Public displays of contention over the decision of the judges or the public vote are prohibited; however, concerns over decisions may be lodged to the OP via telegram. All concerns will be addressed privily to preserve the prescribed timeline of the competition. Proof of an attempt to collude for the purpose of rigging the popular vote will result in immediate expulsion of the guilty person(s) from further participation.

The RP Underground 2014 Challenge Series will begin with an open nomination period running through November 30th; nominees may be suggested up until this date, with the highest nominee recipients being given an official invite to participate in this challenge. Since participation cannot be forced however, the field will not be set until sixteen roleplayers have confirmed their desire to take part. Invitations will be sent in order of nominations received, and will continue until sixteen participants have been finalized. This hub thread will be reserved for information on the overall list of participants, for nominations received prior to the start of the tournament, and general updates for the progression of the series. The winner and runner-up of the tournament will receive a special custom signature and a commemorative flag.

The field of sixteen will be set after the nomination window closes on November 30th, 2014.
Last edited by New Azura on Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 9 times in total.
THEEVENGUARDOFAZURA
UNFIOREPERILCOLOSSO

FRIEND OF KRAVEN (2005-2023)KRAVEN PREVAILS!18 YEARS OF STORIES DELETED

THEDOMINIONOFTHEAZURANS
CAPITAL:RAEVENNADEMONYM:AZURGOVERNMENT:SYNDICAL REPUBLICLANGUAGE:AZURI

Her Graceful Excellence the Phaedra
CALIXTEIMARAUDER
By the Grace of the Lord God, the Daughter of Tsyion, Spirited Maiden, First Matron of House Vardanyan
Imperatrix of the Evenguard of Azura and Sovereign Over Her Dependencies, the Governess of Isaura
and the Defender of the Children of Azura

— Controlled Nations —
Artemis Noir, Dragua Sevua, Grand Ventana, Hanasaku, New Azura, Nova Secta and Xiahua

— Other Supported Regions —
Esvanovia (P/MT), Teremara (P/MT), The Local Cluster (FT)

— Roleplay Tech Levels —
[PT][MT][PMT][FT][FanT]

New Azura
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

The Nominees for the RP Underground Challenge

Postby New Azura » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:21 pm

The RP Underground 2014 Challenge Series will begin with an open nomination period running through November 30th, 2014. All nation handlers may submit an official nominee form (provided below in this post) to nominate up to three players. For the sake of equity and fairness, no nation handler may nominate themselves under any circumstances, and any attempt to circumvent this rule will be dealt with swiftly with expulsion from contention. The top sixteen nomination recipients will be formally invited to participate in this tournament, with remaining invites sent to the next highest nomination recipients in the event of a nominee declining to participate until all sixteen positions have been filled. This thread will serve as an official hub for the nomination process and will also provide other useful information on our judges.

The following four judges will be officiating the 2014 competition.

New Azura|Storm Gard|Transnapastain|Yohannes

The nominee tally was last updated at 10:40 PM Eastern Time on November 16th, 2014.

Current Nominee Totals:
Ghant (10)

New Edom (5) and Yalos (5)

Kylarnatia (4) and Valaran (4)

District XIV (3), Maltropia (3), Marquesan (3) and Tiami (3)

Crontor (2), Erjunhuf (2), Havensky (2), Insaeldor (2), The Kraven Corporation (2) and The Macabees (2)

Ausitoria (1), The Batorys (1), Common Territories (1), Libraria (1), Nalaya (1), Nerotysia (1), Riysa (1) and Versail (1)

Please use this form to nominate your challenge roleplayers!

Code: Select all
[blocktext][box][align=center][img]http://i.imgur.com/ilBM13W.png?1[/img]
[size=115][b][color=#5a5a5a]OFFICIAL NOMINATION FORM — ONE SUBMISSION PER PLAYER[/color][/b][/size][/align]

[b][color=#5a5a5a]Nation's Name[/color][/b]:
[b][color=#5a5a5a]Nation's Region[/color][/b]:

[b][color=#5a5a5a]Please list up to three (3) nominees for this tournament (explanations optional)[/color][/b]:
[ Insert Nominees Here in Any Order of Preference ]

[b][color=#5a5a5a]Important Notice![/color][/b]
[size=95]Only one form submission per player. Those circumventing this rule may have their nominations expunged.[/size][/box][/blocktext]

UNDERGROUNDDIRECTORY
THE COMPETITIONRULESPARTICIPANTSNOMINEESOFFICIAL CHAT
Please Visit the 2014 Best Roleplayer Tournament, Hosted by The Greater Vakolicci Haven by Clicking Here!

ANIMPORTANTMESSAGEFROMTHEOP
This thread is meant for entertainment purposes only, and for participants to have fun.
It is not an exercise to determine who is 'superior' or 'the best' in our writing community.
Those who seek to politicize this competition will be asked to refrain from participating.
Last edited by New Azura on Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 27 times in total.
THEEVENGUARDOFAZURA
UNFIOREPERILCOLOSSO

THEDOMINIONOFTHEAZURANS

CALIXTEIMARAUDER
By the Grace of the Lord God, the Daughter of Tsyion, Spirited Maiden, First Matron of House Vardanyan
Imperatrix of the Evenguard of Azura and Sovereign Over Her Dependencies, the Governess of Isaura

— Controlled Nations —
Artemis Noir, Dragua Sevua, Grand Ventana, Hanasaku, New Azura, Nova Secta and Xiahua

— Roleplay Tech Levels —
[PT][MT][PMT][FT][FanT]

Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:43 pm

OFFICIAL NOMINATION FORM — ONE SUBMISSION PER PLAYER

Nation's Name: Ghant
Nation's Region: Sondria, Cornellian Empire, Greater Dienstad, The Forgotten Lands

Please list up to three (3) nominees for this tournament (explanations optional):
Marquesan
The Batorys
Valaran

Important Notice!
Only one form submission per player. Those circumventing this rule may have their nominations expunged.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 07, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kylarnatia » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:43 pm

I have a feeling this is going to be good. :D

Nation's Name: Kylarnatia
Nation's Region: Nocturnalya, Gholgoth, Greater Dienstad, Astyria (and many more)

Please list up to three (3) nominees for this tournament (explanations optional):
Tiami [You're better than you know, bud.]
Maltropia [The same goes with you, ya crazy Irishman. :P]
Yalos [Deserves considerable more amounts of recognition.]

Important Notice!
Only one form submission per player. Those circumventing this rule may have their nominations expunged.

There are many, many more players I would have happily nominated - including the OP herself - but I decided to nominate players who, overall, don't get as much credit as they should, working hand-in-hand with the spirit of this new event. Best of luck to all, and I'll be following this with great interest!
Last edited by Kylarnatia on Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:49 pm

Please use this form to nominate your challenge roleplayers!

Code: Select all

:
Nation's Region:

Ghant
The Cornellian Empire

Important Notice!
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Marquesan
Minister

Founded: Oct 21, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Marquesan » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:52 pm

Marquesan:
Sondria:

Ghant - Nobody I've ever seen writes with the detail level or the dreamlike quality of Ghant's posts. He deserves to be here much more than I.
Crontor - Most improved writer I know. He's come a long, long way since we first started writing together a couple years ago, his posts in Breaking are ample proof of that.
Erjunhuf - This post in Wrath & Retribution. Dude. You rock.

P.S. I'm /very/ glad that Yalos and Tiami both got early nominations and I'm honored to be here.

Important Notice!
"Just so Summanus, wrapped in a smoking whirlwind of blue flame, falls upon people and cities." - John Milton, In Quintum Novembris

@Marquesan I hereby proclaim you as the Gothic Mad Scientist, who actually isn't mad but a brilliant genius which every nations military goes to consult when they quietly tell their leaders, "We'll consult our experts" and when asked who they always say "private sources"
@Marquesan I will say man you're the only person on NS I've ever mistaken for a genuine Weapons designer.
Friend of Kraven, 2005-2023
18 years of stories deleted
Kraven Prevails!

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:59 pm

Interesting; no nominations from me, as of yet. I'm simply keeping an eye on this to see some loverly writing.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Lamoni » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:04 pm

Nation's Name: Free Republic of Lamoni
Nation's Region: Greater Dienstad

1.) The Macabees
2.) Kylarnatia
3.) New Edom

Important Notice!
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

The Nation of Ceneria
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nation of Ceneria » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:07 pm

Nation's Name: The Nation of Ceneria
Nation's Region: Atlas

Valaran. Likely the best new RPer on the forums. I cannot endorse him enough!
Versail. Quite good, for a fascist!
Maltropia. Nothing need be said here, I believe.

Important Notice!
Last edited by The Nation of Ceneria on Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The greater Vakolicci Haven
Senator

Founded: Dec 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:10 pm

Nation's Name: The Greater Vakolicci Haven
Nation's Region:

• Sondria
  • Tyrrhenia
  • Varathron
  • The Freed Lands
  • Escar

Ghant: no explanation necisary
Nerotysia: Underrated as hell, and deserves more exposure. Very talented rper.
Yalos: in my mind one of the best new writers.

Important Notice!
RIP Vakolic, 08/08/2009-29/12/2013, unjustly deleted.
Population: 9.6 billion (to be added to current population of this nation)
Last known defence budget: 82.2 trillion
Last known gdp: $423.2 trillion (nstracker)
For other stats, please tg.
the greater Vakolicci Haven
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:12 pm

Nation's Name: Maltropia
Nation's Region: Paradoxia, Astyria and Nocturnalya

Kylarnatia - partly because he had the audacity to nominate me, but mostly because he's a fantastic writer and a really cool guy. He's earned that potential Dairy Milk.
Ghant - I'd be wasting words here. Suffice't to say he's Ghant.
Riysa - great guy, great RPer; esteemed member of Astyria and that other thing he's in. All-around great duder.

Important Notice!
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009

Postby Esternial » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:13 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Interesting; no nominations from me, as of yet. I'm simply keeping an eye on this to see some loverly writing.

Indeed. Might even become the II variant of the A&F short story competition.

Maybe we should nominate some P2TM'ers. Might be good fun.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:15 pm

Esternial wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:Interesting; no nominations from me, as of yet. I'm simply keeping an eye on this to see some loverly writing.

Indeed. Might even become the II variant of the A&F short story competition.

A good point.

I wish I could volunteer others to do the writing. Fling Nat and Zark into the fray, along with Const for amusement potential.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Shalum
Minister

Founded: Oct 07, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Shalum » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:28 pm

Nation's Name: Shalum
Nation's Region: The Cornellian Empire

Ghant
New Edom

Important Notice!
Conscription is the vitality of a nation, the purification of its morality, and the real foundations of all its habits.

It is better to be a warrior in a garden then to be a gardener in a war.

The greater Vakolicci Haven
Senator

Founded: Dec 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:29 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Esternial wrote:Indeed. Might even become the II variant of the A&F short story competition.

A good point.

I wish I could volunteer others to do the writing. Fling Nat and Zark into the fray, along with Const for amusement potential.

This is a nominations thread. Nominate them.
RIP Vakolic, 08/08/2009-29/12/2013, unjustly deleted.
Population: 9.6 billion (to be added to current population of this nation)
Last known defence budget: 82.2 trillion
Last known gdp: $423.2 trillion (nstracker)
For other stats, please tg.
the greater Vakolicci Haven
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Zunkwentania
Minister

Founded: Apr 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Zunkwentania » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:30 pm

Nation's Name: Zunkwentania
Nation's Region: Social Liberal Union

Please list up to three (3) nominees for this tournament (explanations optional): Valaran: He has consistently produced good RP, as well as guiding others
District XIV: Much effort put into his RP, and he helps maintain an RPing region
Ghant: What can I say? Ghant's RP is extremely realistic, and it flows like a good novel. The dialogue is very realistic, and so are the characters.
Important Notice!

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:30 pm

The greater Vakolicci Haven wrote:
A good point.

This is a nominations thread. Nominate them.

They aren't IIers lad. Nominating them for a II competition is a touch of poor form.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:33 pm

Nation's Name: Valaran
Nation's Region: Atlas

Libraria and Ausitoria - brilliant, though underrated
New Edom - not much of an explanation needed
Nalaya - I don't know much about this nation other than their II posts, which are superb

Important Notice!

I would nominate Ghant, but he isn't exactly short of votes :p

Also, apparently I just can't catch a break.
Last edited by Valaran on Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009

Postby Esternial » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:34 pm

The greater Vakolicci Haven wrote:This is a nominations thread. Nominate them.

They aren't IIers lad. Nominating them for a II competition is a touch of poor form.

I beg to differ. We should promote inter-community relations.

Hell, I used to be an II'er and still consider myself one, though only a little bit.
Last edited by Esternial on Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:36 pm

Esternial wrote:

Hell, I used to be an II'er and still consider myself one, though only a little bit.

Agreed.

And while I know little of P2TM (newbieness strikes again) is seems a great place for RPing.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:39 pm

Esternial wrote:

Oh, I understand that. I still II at times, and she was my first love. The men I mentioned, however, to my knowledge never really trafficked here.

District XIV
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:41 pm

Nation's Name: District XIV
Nation's Region: Vasarden

Insaeldor — Not as prominent as some other RPers, but a talented writer and overall nice guy.
Ghant — Doesn't need an explanation.
Common Territories — Well done wiki and great storefronts.

Important Notice!

Zunkwentania wrote:Please list up to three (3) nominees for this tournament (explanations optional):
District XIV: Much effort put into his RP, and he helps maintain an RPing region

Thank you.
Last edited by District XIV on Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:51 pm

Could I also ask what the word count would be for submissions?

I would TG this, but posting here it would save any future questions (and New Azura having to repeat himself continually).

Edit: Oh, and Libraria and Ausitoria is one nation. Sorry for any confusion there.
Last edited by Valaran on Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Azura
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Azura » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:53 pm

Valaran wrote:Could I also ask what the word count would be for submissions?

I would TG this, but posting here it would save any future questions (and New Azura having to repeat himself continually).

It will vary from round to round: the first rounds will have smaller word counts than the later rounds, since there will be more to judge. The final match in the competition will have no word count, for instance.
THEEVENGUARDOFAZURA
UNFIOREPERILCOLOSSO

THEDOMINIONOFTHEAZURANS

CALIXTEIMARAUDER

— Controlled Nations —

— Roleplay Tech Levels —
[PT][MT][PMT][FT][FanT]

District XIV
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:54 pm

Valaran wrote:Could I also ask what the word count would be for submissions?

You could go on the chatroom with us (it's linked in the OP) c:

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents