NATION

PASSWORD

Leo Vel Aquila? (Closed, ATTN: Ghant)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Delmonte
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Leo Vel Aquila? (Closed, ATTN: Ghant)

Postby Delmonte » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:54 pm

The Grand City of Delmonte; The Piazzo Del Toro

IC:

Clang.

"I do hope you understand that we didn't make this decision lightly."

Rattle. Clang. Water drips somewhere no man would ever find it. Cesare and Ludovico are in a place unfit for any Di Canossa, let alone the Doge and the Foreign Chancellor: a seedy warehouse on the lower West side of the Grand City of Delmonte. The warehouse is owned by a small fishery, a subsidiary company of Pesconnes Co., which is a much larger fishing company that is owned by the umbrella company of Regaliere Consumazzi (a company that generally produces various food-stuffs). That is owned by an off-shore shell corporation which was just purchased last year by Di Canossa Vineyards & Co.

"Won't you respond to the Doge's question, Faliere?"

The man thus addressed, kneeling on the mildewy floor as he was, was not in a good position to look at either Ludovico or Cesare, but he oozed contempt. His crimson robes of office were, by this point, entirely ruined.

"You're not scaring me." he spat, "I'm not a mere peon that you can cow into submission. I am the Vice-Chancellor of the Quality of Wines and Spirits, a Conte, and a protected man of three of the other major families. You can't touch me."

Cesare writhed.

"Clearly you think that my cousin Vincenzo is the only one who can play dirty. But I can deal with you without his help." Cesare rested one gloved hand on a dilapidated railing. "Now, inform me of how I can get my hands on the Di Azzones that plotted the veritable treason that you have initiated, or I will kill you."

Diego Faliere spat at Cesare's feet. "Go fuck yourself, Di Canossa dog. I played the game just fine and did nothing out of place until you decided to break the rules yourself. Hell, I even made a pretty good Vice-Chancellor. You broke the Pax Nobilis. You brought these things upon yourself. My living is your only chance of redemption and you know it, so you won't kill me."

Cesare stared at him and Ludovico backed away, thinking Cesare would over-react. But instead, Cesare just looked at him for a few seconds before speaking.

"Fuck you. Fuck the other families. And fuck the Peace. I'm not an old man. I have sixty years left on the Doge's chair; minimum. Our plants have already taken over the entirety of the Special Police, as you have learned tonight..." Here he nodded at the four DSP agents standing behind Faliere. "I no longer need the army; the mercenaries I've hired are more loyal anyway. So remind me of what, exactly, I need this alleged Peace for. Sure, sure, it's a tradition, and that's nice. But you know what? It's a tradition that shafts me."

Here he got quite close to Faliere.

"And you know what, all of this was just to scare you. I'll admit that. But now you've insulted me, my family, and my manhood and I just can't live that down. My only consolation will be knowing that you died a far worse death than I will. I hope you enjoy your voyage. I apologize for the bumpiness of your ride; Delmontese Rafts are notorious for the turbulence they incur en route to their destination." He waved his hands at the agents who were holding the various components of the Delmontese "Raft" in the back. They were briefly taken aback; they hadn't been expecting to actually do these things! But slowly, the one with the chain and locks moved forward and attached the chain to Faliere's shackles.

"Hah! This is quite good! You want me to beg. Maybe you'll even let me go in the water before you doubtless pull me up on a spare chain you've hidden. Quite rich."

Cesare was silent as the other end of the chain was wrapped through the empty spaces of three large cinder blocks, making a grating sound as it did so.

Faliere burst into laughter. "Good God, Cesare, are they actors? They're moving so purposefully. This is quite good. Are you going to give me my Last Rites to make me really worry? No? Probably more convincing that way, anyway, you dumb fuck. God, you're going to look so fucking stupid. If I begged now would you immediately relent or just pretend to? Did you rehearse this? It's really excellent."

Cesare just watched. He could probably still make him crack if he tried. He could probably even bribe him... Another clang.

"Uhoh!" Faliere said sarcastically with mock worry on his face. "That sounds like a grate being opened! Oh, gee, I might be about to die! I'd better fess everything up to you, huh?" Then he had another fit of laughter. "I'm so upset that you shackled my hands together so I can't wipe the tears from my eyes. This is so perfect. I won't even have to embellish it when I tell everyone at the Club tomorrow about how the Di Canossas- Oh, my, they are making quite a show of being about to push them in the water. I say, those boys look like they mean business, Cesare! Where did you get them?" His laughter became grating and incessant. Even as the cinder-blocks plunked into the water with a splash one by one and the chain began to whir after them, he kept laughing.

His cloak tore and his fingernails ripped as he clawed at the wood, still red in the face with glee. He held himself up for just a few seconds by holding his elbows against the planks near the edge of the hole in the floor, now exhausted. His laughing quieted and he looked around. Nobody was moving closer to pull him up after he inevitably plunged into the water. He didn't even see a secondary chain attached anywhere. Then he looked up at Cesare and saw his face. And then it hit him. His face went completely calm.

And then he began laughing again; more loudly than ever. He threw his head back and laughed with insane glee just before being sucked into the water in an instant. The water splashed upwards, black as coffee. As Cesare stewed over his breakfast in the Piazzo Del Toro the next morning, this is what his beverage reminded him of. Ludovico, sitting across from him, had no difficulties eating. If anything, murder apparently worked up his appetite.

"You could pretend to be upset, you know."

Ludovico swallowed some ham and shrugged. "Cesare, when you were young your father, my brother, taught you a very important lesson. While he was trying to teach you about something or other out on the Promenade, right there, a pigeon kept bothering him. He shoo'd it away once and continued speaking. It flew at him again, so he shoo'd it away once more. After the third time, he grabbed it and broke its neck. You cried and he politely informed you that it was just a pigeon. Well, Faliere? He was just a pigeon, that's all."

Cesare pushed his plate away. The steaming food that would otherwise induce him to hunger did not interest him at all. Then a side panel in the room opened and a herald entered.

"Serene One; Foreign Chancellor." He nodded curtly at each in turn, "Cardinal-Archbishop Raccio is here as per your request." Cesare nodded and the herald opened the door to allow the Cardinal in. He flew in upon a flurry of crimson and silver. He was a young man for a Cardinal. And he was very un-Cardinal-like, too. He simply sat down next to the Doge. However, this was understandable as they were family, after all.

"So, Cesare, what is it this time?"

"Ludovico and I killed a man. You'll probably hear about it today."

"Ah, murder is a foul crime, you really ought to turn yourself into the temporal authorities, you need to be contrite, blah blah blah, your penance is three hundred Hail Mary's, fifty Our Father's, seventy Acts of Contrition, and... your breakfast." Cesare slid his plate and utensils to the hungry bishop.

"Three hundred Hail Mary's?"

Raccio dead-panned at Cesare. "What, your penance for murdering a man is too high for you? I'm sorry that the Heavenly Host didn't have a discount running on homicide today. Next time, you know, maybe don't go around killing people."

"Can't I just make a donation or something?"

"That product was discontinued. This ham is fantastic. God, the eggs too. I honestly thought all my life that an egg was just an egg, but now I know that this is not the case. You have to get your steward to tell me where he buys your produce, because this is all just- Oh, right, cold-blooded murder. Look, it's the most grievous sin. Very displeasing to God. In order to go to heaven, you have to do your penance, but you also have to show actual contrition."

"Contrition?"

"It means being sorry for what you did."

"I know what it means."

Raccio shrugged and pushed away the now empty plate. A baffled Ludovico attempted to figure out how Raccio, a far skinnier man, had made the food disappear so quickly. He even lifted the edge of the bishops' plate up and pulled his chair out to check the man's lap. He looked back at his own plate, still half full, and frowned.

"You have to feel sorry for what you did convincingly. Enough to convince God. A public confession might help, but I can tell by the look on your face that that is out of the question. I recommend going to his funeral and looking at the eyes of his relatives. You already feel pretty bad, I can tell. Not like this born killer over here." He gestured to Ludovico who gave a convincingly baffled "Who me?" look.

"Having pardoned Vincenzo many times, let me give you a bit of advice. Don't grow a taste for murder, Cesare. And for Christ's sake, leave some of the good ham for the rest of us poor bastards that are only moderately wealthy."

"Yes, the plight of our society's lower upper class is quite disturbing." Ludovico said, dryly. "Now, begone, foul Cardinal, that we may discuss affairs of state."

Raccio had grabbed a roll and already had one foot out the door by the time Ludovico said "state". Ludovico nodded approvingly and grabbed a roll for himself. He set it aside on his plate. He waved to a servant who opened a different panel (Delmontese aristocracy had a long love affair with hidden entrances).

In flew Marshal Gideon Lustrang, stage left. He stood at attention near the table and waited to be addressed. Early morning sunlight glinted off of the golden buttons on his Syndicate uniform.

"General..." Cesare said.

"Most Serene One." Gideon replied, pausing to push a particularly unruly lock of black hair back under his cap.

"General Lustrang, there have been fascist agitations in Diorso and the surrounding countryside. There will be a rally today. Your men are, doubtless, ready?"

"Yes, Most Serene One. I can give you the specifics, if you would like."

Cesare sipped his coffee and could have sworn he tasted brine mixed with death on his tongue. His throat went dry.

"Please do." Gideon's face had begun to look pale and bloated as Cesare watched. The General began to speak as though nothing were wrong. Why? Did he not feel sick?

"Well, we have our riot armament prepared. Rubber bullets, all of that, but also riot trucks with scoops to lift demonstrators and place them into containment cells in the rear of the truck. We're quite good at this. Minimum casualties to be expected. We have the Plaza where they'll be demonstrating all plotted out. They thought we were doing parade maneuvers last week, but we were actually preparing for the demonstration in the Plaza itself."

The more Gideon talked, the more pale (blue, even) his face became and the more it swelled. Water began to drip from his eyes. Was he crying? Then it appeared from his nostrils, then his ears, and then with every word he spoke water poured in a trickle from his mouth. Why wasn't he stopping?! Was he insane?! Why wasn't Ludovico saying something? He was eating a roll for fuck's sake! Clearly Gideon needed medical attention! Cesare looked at the servant by the door to gauge his reaction and then back at Gideon. Only it wasn't Gideon anymore. It was Deigo Faliere. And he wasn't talking about troops in riot gear. He was laughing again, in that same grating voice. It wouldn't end.

He blinked. When he opened his eyes, it was Gideon once more. No bloating, no water.

He was going to be ill.

Cesare waved his hand. "My uncle can deal with the rest of this. Excuse me." Gideon seemed confused, but he went on conversing with Ludovico. Cesare dashed out onto the balcony that connected with his study. He ran into the dark, welcoming chamber and shut the door. He breathed in the cool air, paused for a moment, and then immediately vomited into the pot of a particularly unlucky ficus.

"I'm so sorry..." He said, pulling away from the plant and collapsing onto the floor. "I'm so, so sorry." He looked up and saw the picture of his father, giving him that same unforgiving stare. It was particularly appropriate now. So perturbing was his father's gaze that he hid his face with his arm and wept into the carpet.

"I don't want to go to school today..."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Diorso; The Southern Coast of Delmonte

"It was at this point that Signore Castaglianni approached Il Duc Di Gastanzinni and informed him of The Most Serene Republic's intentions regarding the gold mines of the Aparre. The Duc laughed and asked how a lion might threaten an eagle; referencing the fact that The Grand City of Delmonte and Gastanzinni were separated by water. Signore Castaglianni responded that it depended on how close to the ground the eagle found it wise to fly... and how high the lion could jump."

~A Private Chronicle of the Channel Wars
Serlo Di Constanzarro

Wind from the ocean whipped around the Plaza Del Tambiano in Diorso, carrying with it a refreshingly salty breath of air. The entire Plaza had been taken over by a seething crowd of men and women whose predominant choices of color included black and crimson. Baldazar watched the anticipation stir through the crowd from his post on the side of the Plaza opposite the Grand Podiae that had been erected. He stood immediately under a banner that had a color scheme similar to the flag of the Most Serene Republic, only it portrayed an eagle gripping a fasces instead of a lion holding a book.

Baldazar was a soldier. Or, at least, he had been until the Delmontese Army was virtually disbanded in favor of the forces of the Security Syndicate, contracted from overseas. These were supplemented by the Delmontese Security Force which was, theoretically, an army, but not nearly as impressive. And they were trained by the Syndicate. Veterans like him had been handed their hats. It was insulting. It had angered him. This is what had made him ripe for being recruited into the Crimson Guard. He got to wear a uniform and a firearm once more. And this time, he was fighting for a Delmonte that he could believe in. A Delmonte that would be redeemed.

His lips tightened and he stood a little bit taller. The banner above him rustled in the salty air as the subjects of the rally ascended their respective podiums. The one, dressed smartly in an all-black uniform (save for some crimson and gold trim), was Belitrano Di Mosca, the enthusiastic leader of the operational side of the Irridentist movement. Adjacent to him, in flowing crimson, was the fiery propagandist and preacher Cardinal Antonin Varro. He surveyed the crowd with dark, shadowy eyes. The crowd went silent.

One of the Lieutenants, Baldazar recognized him, took up a megaphone and shouted into it.

"Delmonte!"

"Vindico!" The crowd shouted back with exuberance.

"Delmonte!"

"Vindico!"

This went on for several more minutes until the crowd was practically in a frenzy. Then the real entertainment began. Varro and Mosca went back and forth admonishing the faults of the ruling elite. Mosca addressed their waste, their corruption, their decadence. Varro honed in on their pride, sinfulness, and impiety, calling on God himself to smite the Delmontese nobility. They truly complimented one another. Several times, Baldazar had to struggle to not cheer himself. But he had orders to be silent and imposing. When he went home later tonight, he would freeze by the stove where he would fry some sliced potato in a few reluctant drops of oil. But for just another few hours, he was invincible.
Last edited by Delmonte on Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.
[15:35] <Tag> I have a big, heavy sealed box that I have no idea what is in side of it.
[15:35] <Tag> I can only presume it is treasure.
The Batorys wrote:The Delmontese like money, yeah, but they also like to throw down.

<Delmonte> I don't mean literally kill their family. I mean kill their metaphorical family.
<Delmonte> Metaphorically kill their metaphorical family.
Code: Select all
 [b][color=#0000FF][background=red]United in Opposition to [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?t=303025]Liberate Haven[/url][/background][/color][/b]
[color=#FF0000][b]Mallorea and Riva should [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=303090]resign[/url][/b][/color]

The man from Delmonte says yes.

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:30 am

OOC: Tag for interest.
Imperium Sidhicum wrote:So, uh... Is this another one of those threads where everyone is supposed to feel outraged and circle-jerk in agreement of how injust and terrible the described incident is?

Because if it is, I'm probably going to say something mean and contrary just to contradict the majority.

This nation is now IC-ly known as the Teutonic Reich.

Ulrenon
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Ulrenon » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:22 am

OOC: Taggy waggy.

The Black Plains
Senator

Founded: Jan 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Plains » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:19 pm

A resonance of rings and bracelets on glassware rose against a chorus of men plying compliments and empty phrases like molasses. The Persons of Quality at Signora Della Verada's party were gathered around a small sitting area in her Grand Salon. A man dressed in black and gold military uniform sat opposite Signora Della Verada herself, resplendent in magenta and purple with gold trim.

"Very well, then, General. You shall teach us this game of yours."

Gideon smiled and gestured for the pens and pieces of paper he'd asked for. One of these he handed to the Delmontese socialite, another he kept for himself, and the third he placed upon the table between them. With his pen he drew two parallel lines along the length of the paper. Using perpendicular lines, he divided the lines into seven squares and removed a black pawn from a nearby chess table, placing it in the middle square.

"Now, Madame Verada and all those present, I am going to teach you what Plainsians call 'Press.' You see, the pawn symbolizes where our battle takes place. The squares at either end are our home cities: You lose by having your home city conquered, you win by conquering the opponent's. The squares in between are battlefields leading up to the home cities. Right now, the war has just begun and so the battle is at our border." Gideon tapped the square where the pawn resided with one slender finger.

"I'm going to want to win the battles and thereby push your army back to your home city. Now, here's how each battle works. We each have a pool of force for our army of one hundred. For each battle, you and I will write down secretly what amount of force we wish to dedicate and then reveal our decisions simultaneously. Whoever dedicated the most force wins and the battle is pushed in the relevant direction. Now, regardless of whether you win or lose, you still spend the force you dedicated. So if you lose you want to lose by as much as possible and if you win you want to win by as much as possible."

Signora Della Verada waved her hand.

"I understand your rules, General. Let us play." She began scribbling on her paper.

"Very well, madame. I have my number written down already. What is yours?"

The aging socialite flipped her parchment. "Eleven."

Gideon revealed his own. "Zero."

"Ugh, you Plainsian dog!" Gideon smiled and sipped his wine at this compliment. Mere minutes later he had won the game handily. He checked his watch.

"Madame, I apologize, but I must take my leave."

The Contessa waved a hand and approached to kiss him on the cheek.

"Return any time, and don't bother with a bread and butter letter. And, for your own preparation, expect my daughter to begin flirting with you any day now. But you didn't hear that from me."

"Understood." Gideon made a grimace as soon as his face was hidden. Her daughter was fat and odious. But he would deal with that when he had to. For now, he had other things to worry about. The doorman, much offended that Gideon brushed off his offer of guiding him to his vehicle, watched as the General climbed into the back seat of a town car bearing an insignia of the Delmontese flag with black lettering reading "SSBP" imposed over the flag. As the car sped off, Gideon reviewed his dossier on what was going to happen tonight. Words on the page scribbled and crawled until they formed moving pictures. The pictures began to make sounds and, in an instant, he was back in the Doge's solar speaking with Ludovico.

"Yes, yes... that's all good, General..." The Foreign Chancellor said, interrupting Gideon quite rudely. He put his coffee down.

"I understand that, typically, the idea in these instances is to minimize casualties. But... in this instance we may... want to use... another approach?"

"You are implying that you would like me to inflict unnecessary casualties?"

"Well, I preferred to merely imply it, but yes. I am. Capture the leadership, however, and throw them in a Syndicate prison. Let them rot without their microphone."

"You are certain that this is the preferred route you want me to take?"

Ludovico picked up a newspaper that was laid on a nearby windowsill and began reading it.

"Gideon, Gideon, Gideon... the customer is always right."

This customer, Gideon knew, was completely wrong. Syndicate policy was to use lethal force on protesters only if lethal resistance was being offered. His dossier depicted plans that did not involve killing innocents. Only beating innocents up.

As his car pulled up to the Command Rally Point, Gideon saw immediately that something was wrong. When he stepped out, he saw what it was. There, in a full black trench coat, black uniform suit, black tie, and black hat with gold trim, was the monster that was his older brother. He appeared to have friends with him. They were dressed in business suits.

"Marcell. What are you doing here?"

Marcell Lustrang smiled with his mouth, but his dead, grey eyes remained emotionless. His tongue flicked at the corner of his lips.

"Hello, little brother. I'm here because we were informed of a potential miscommunication between you and our client. Walk with me."

As the two siblings strode quietly away from the brightly lit plaza, the sounds of preparation could be heard.

"I hope you understand why our conversation must be brief. We have a matter of minutes until the protesters realize we are mobilizing. Someone tipped off Human Resources And Personnel that you were not following the client's orders."

The conversation was, apparently, to be so brief that they began to head back.

"Syndicate policy clearly states-"

"Shut up. We do that to please the white hats of the world. You can't be afraid to get your fucking hands dirty. Now, come with me and I'll introduce you to our friends. Gideon, meet Clarence and Robert."

The one on the left was tall and lanky, the one on the right somewhat stocky. They both had black hair and wore sunglasses, despite it being night.

"General Lustrang, we're both Human Resources Coordinators. I'm Clarence Goodall, from the sub-department of Human Potential. This is Robert Trasgon; he's from Talent Retention. We're here to keep you informed of changes in policy and procedures."

Human Potential was the Syndicate's enforcer. Generals had to be kept in line. They were the men that did that. Talent Retention was in charge of killing people that Human Potential told them to. Pleasant bunch of guys.

"Pleasure to meet you both." Gideon responded. Marcell nodded and turned to Gideon.

"Well, then, brother, are you ready to initiate the attack that I planned?"

"I... have my doubts."

Marcell looked at him for a solid second, then chuckled.

"I do not." He waved his leather gloved hand at a senior lieutenant. "Execute."

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:24 am

OOC: Hope to have something up tonight or tomorrow.
[15:35] <Tag> I have a big, heavy sealed box that I have no idea what is in side of it.
The Batorys wrote:The Delmontese like money, yeah, but they also like to throw down.

<Delmonte> I don't mean literally kill their family. I mean kill their metaphorical family.
 [b][color=#0000FF][background=red]United in Opposition to [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?t=303025]Liberate Haven[/url][/background][/color][/b]
[color=#FF0000][b]Mallorea and Riva should [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=303090]resign[/url][/b][/color]

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:32 am

"Delmontese youths often go to the top of the Chancery Hill and race to the bottom. According to them, they are racing against the Devil. If you feel a gust of wind just before you reach the bottom, it means that the Devil has won and the runner will suffer bad luck for one year. If there is a gust of wind immediately afterward, it means that the runner has beaten the Devil and will have good luck for one year. The most dreaded outcome, however, is that there is no wind at all. This means that the Devil was waiting at the bottom the entire time."

~Travels to Delmonte and What I Found There
Henri De Mortagne

Il Palazzo Di Pazzienza
(The Palace of Patience)

"Thank you..." Amare waved away the liveried attendant who had poured the deep red wine into a glass that was already half filled with cold water. One couldn't have judges getting too toasty. The crests that ran down the attendant's torso depicted a balanced scale quartered on crimson and blue field. Because even justice was a bit pompous in Delmonte. Amare nodded to his crier.

The crier spoke at a reasonably loud volume (without quite shouting) so that his voice resonated throughout the marble courtroom. He was dressed in livery similar to that of the attendant.

"Assembled men, you are witness to a public trial conducted to determine the guilt or innocence of Belitrano Di Mosca in the act of High Treason as well as that of Inciting Treason. He has opted to be judged by a jury of his peers which has been randomly selected. The Venerable Amare Di Canossa shall preside. Go forth and uphold the law!" The present company seated themselves.

Amare nodded once more and cleared his throat. He smoothed the pleats in his crimson and gold robes. "Signore Di Mosca, you have opted to represent yourself, have you not?"

"'Opted' is an interesting word choice. But I represent myself, yes." The aging man replied, his hands on the table in front of him. It was a poorly balanced scene. Di Mosca sat alone at a simple wooden table with no papers while, opposite him, three executores dressed in outlandish regalia, whispered to one another while gesturing with papers and folders aplenty. Their table was also nicer.

"Overlooking word choice..." Amare said, blithely, "We shall continue. Executores; the Accusatio in Publio and your first lectio."

"Gladly." Said one of the executores, rising from his seat to address the jury (seated in rows above the courtroom floor), he swept his robes behind him.

"The accusation is this: The Most Serene Republic of Delmonte accuses this man, Belitrano Di Mosca, of treason most foul including: Plotting to assassinate the Doge, staging riots and mobs in Diorso, actively planning assaults on government employees, and assaults on government properties. With permission, I shall continue to my first lectio. Men of the jury, the evidence is clear and simple..." Despite insisting on such clear and simple evidence, it took well over two hours to read the statements of the various witnesses (existent and non-existent) whose testimonies had been transcribed.

When this executor had reclaimed his seat, Amare nodded to Belitrano.

"Your first Lectio and your first Disputatio."

The fascist rose from his seat and stalked to stage center. He glowered at the jury.

"I do not have a Lectio. This might have to do with the fact that this trial was arranged one day after my arrest and, for that period, I was not allowed to leave my cell or make contact with anyone at all. Let alone seek legal council." He looked expectantly at the jury, all twenty of whom were completely silent. "But what is the point anyway? The Disceptator is the Doge's younger brother and I have it on high authority that well over half of the jury are related to the Di Canossas through blood or marriage. My conviction is a foregone conclusion. This trial is not televised or publicized in any way. Nobody outside this room will hear anything that I say, save for your superiors. So I shall take this opportunity to speak to Il Serenissimo, Cesare Di Canossa, directly."

Now there was murmuring.

"Signore Di Canossa, I applaud your ability to get the jump on me at the rally. I did not know that there were even soldiers nearby. Bravo. I must say, however, that the credit in this department largely belongs to your mercenary friends. They are quite competent while you, well, are not. Now I'd like to address this trial. This was a mistake. I know you didn't want me to be a martyr, but giving me a trial was infinitely worse. You should have had us killed in the fire at the rally. Particularly my associate, Cardinal Varro, who (as I understand it) is being tried in ecclesiastical court by another one of your relatives, Cardinal Raccio. Because if we had died, it could be labelled as an accident. We would be martyred, yes, but our martyrdom would be dismiss-able. If we die now, however, trial or no trial the blood would be on your hands and our martyrdom would be amplified. So you have no choice to keep us alive.

But you won't just release us. You will imprison us, obviously. Imprisoning me shows that you fear me. You fear me enough to throw me in a cell with rapists and murderers to keep me from coming at you. To keep me from destroying you. Listen to the whispers, Doge. The people doubt your ability to rule. Your ability to maintain power. This will magnify those accusations. You see, you think that by locking me away in a cell somewhere you get me out of the way. You push me underground. But you give me wings!" He finished with a crescendo, shouting these last words.

"I move for my judgment." He said, bitterly, before sitting down.

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:59 pm

Deutsch Oper Germania
Bismarckstrasse
Germania

It was on a crisp Friday night that members of the so-called upper crust of German society had gathered in the Deutsch Oper opera house to watch the play 'Don Giovanni'. The play was a favorite of the Führer's, who never missed an opportunity to watch Don Giovanni whenever the play was being conducted in the national capital, Germania. And of course human beings being human beings, the notables of the Greater Aryan Race had proceeded suit in imitating the tastes of their Reich Chancellor.

At this time, the play had already entered it's penultimate stage, the fifth scene of Act 2, where the scoundrel Don Giovanni was being confronted by his old flame Elvira who was beseeching him earnestly to repent his evil ways. The Führer was ensconced in the so-called Chancellor's Box, a special section of the opera house reserved for his own use. He had been joined by Reich Foreign Minister Balck; Reichsführer-SS Gartner and his lovely wife Gertude along with a few other young subalterns who were no doubt filled with excitement at being amongst the most privileged of Germans to be watching an opera with the Führer. No doubt the moral undertones of the play clearly appealed to the Führer's own personal sense of moral virtue, ironically so given that he simultaneously had no qualms about signing the death warrants of hundreds of thousands of men.

Now began the climatic scene of the play, with the statue of the dead Commandant making his way onto the stage and bellowing the ever so famous line: "Don Giovanni! A cenar teco m'invitasti". All eyes were on the stage which was probably why no one noticed a young officer in military uniform enter the box. Apparently the Führer's SS bodyguards had deemed the nature of his arrival somewhat important for they had let him through to see the Führer. The young officer approached the Führer's seat and proceeded to bend down to whisper to him.

"Mein Führer, there has been a situation in the Serene Republic of Delmonte. Apparently a-"

The Führer simply raised his hand to interrupt the young subaltern, obviously desiring that he was not to be interrupted in watching the play. The officer, recognising he had committed a faux paus of sorts, promptly drew himself up and remained silent. Reichsführer Gartner, noticing what had just transpired, shot the unwelcome man an angry look, as if the poor officer had committed a most egregious crime of sorts. Eventually, the play ended to thunderous applause, with Don Giovanni the nefarious villain consigned to hell and the rest of the characters of the play resuming or at least attempting to get their own lives back in order. As the actors troped off stage to the applause of the attendees, the audience began making their exit from the performance hall, leaving only the Führer and his entourage behind. Only then did the Führer turn to the officer, who was bearing the rank of a Lieutenant.

"And pray tell, what could State Security have for me which is important that it necessitates visiting me in the middle of Don Giovanni?" asked the Führer, half-jokingly yet half-sternly at the same time. He had noticed the purple collar sleeve of the officer, denoting that he was a member of the Reich Ministry for State Security, whose personnel were accorded military ranks.

"Mein Führer, the Foreign Intelligence department has received word that the Delmontese authorities have suppressed a rally by the local Fascist movement, an outfit that calls itself the Crimson Guard. The full report is here along with information on the Crimson Guard itself."

As he spoke, the Lieutenant handed the Führer a brown file containing multiple documents and photographs of members of the Crimson Guard and their two leaders, a certain Belitrano Di Mosca and a Cardinal Varra. The Führer pored through the written reports carefully and silently. The rest of his entourage waited in anticipation for his next command, well everyone except for the Reichführer's wife Gertrude and the other younger companions who were promptly shooed away by the Reichführer's knowing stare.

"And you came to me with this because...?"

"Reich Minister Honecker said that since it concerned a fellow member of the Imperial Fascist Alliance, the matter should be brought to your attention."

"What happened at the rally?"

"As the report says Mein Führer, it was apparently broken up by security forces belonging to the Black Plains. Unfortunately we don't have all the details since the situation has gotten very chaotic but it appears rather heavy brutal force was used. Rubber bullets and tear gas. Scores of demonstrators have been killed or wounded while the rest have been driven underground."

"And the leaders of the Crimson Guard?"

"We don't know. As of now we can only assume that they're either in the hands of the Delmontese government or they've gone into hiding. If they were killed, the Delmontese government would've reported it."

"I see...well in that case you may tell the Reich Minister to see me at the Chancellery tomorrow then. I will discuss this issue with him. You're dismissed."

"Jawohl Mein Führer." At this, the officer from State Security clicked his heels and raised his right arm in salute before exiting the box. Upon his departure, the Führer proceeded to speak to the rest of his companions.

"Reich Minister Balck, send a communique to the Delmontese government inquiring as to the whereabouts of Di Mosca and Cardinal Varra. Have a plenipotentiary sent there as well to monitor the situation on the ground. Reichsführer Gartner, liaise with the Party's International Relations Department and see if we can make contact with the Crimson Guard. Invite them to establish a branch here in the GAR. It appears we'll have to intervene in Delmonte if the situation worsens."

Official Communique of The Fascist Dictatorship Of The Greater Aryan Race

To: His Excellency Cesare Di Canossa, Doge of the Most Serene Republic of Delmonte
From: Reich Minister Hermann Balck, Reich Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Greater Aryan Race
Encyption: Top Secret

Subject: Disturbances in Delmonte

Signor,

The Reich Government of the Greater Aryan Race has received word that government forces of the Most Serene Republic of Delmonte in collaboration with Syndicate forces of the Black Plains have brutally suppressed a peaceful Fascist demonstration by members of the Crimson Guard in the city of Diorso. As a member of the Imperial Fascist Alliance, of which your government is also in fact a signatory of, it is greatly upsetting that you have authorized the use of excessive and unnecessary force on peaceful patriots of Delmonte who have desired nothing more than to promote the strengthening of the Most Serene Republic, thus contravening the founding tenets of the Alliance.

The Reich Chancellor and Führer has instructed me thus to register our government's strongest disapproval of your actions towards the Crimson Guard. We call upon the Most Serene Republic to release all members of the Crimson Guard that it has detained and to undertake immediate negotiations with the Crimson Guard to achieve a just and peaceful settlement to this ongoing dispute. At the same time, the Reich also wishes to inquire as to the status of Mr. Belitrano Di Mosca and His Eminence, Cardinal Varro, both of whom are leading functionaries of the Crimson Guard. If they are in Delmontese captivity, we respectfully request that your government release them from said custody, seeing as these two Delmontese patriots have committed no crime against the Most Serene Republic.

Nonetheless, recognizing the most sacred principle of respecting national sovereignty and in order to facilitate the peaceful resolution to this crisis, we request the permission of your government to dispatch a high-powered delegation comprising of members of the Greater Aryan Race diplomatic corps to Delmonte to engage in peaceful and productive negotiations with Your Excellency in order to bring about a productive and long-lasting solution to this political conflict.

We urge Your Excellency to seriously consider our offer. The Greater Aryan Race desires nothing more than the security and stability of the Sondrian region and the Most Serene Republic of Delmonte which can only come about if Your Excellency heeds our express wishes.

With regards,
Hermann Balck
Reich Minister of Foreign Affairs
Last edited by The Greater Aryan Race on Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Imperium Sidhicum wrote:So, uh... Is this another one of those threads where everyone is supposed to feel outraged and circle-jerk in agreement of how injust and terrible the described incident is?

Because if it is, I'm probably going to say something mean and contrary just to contradict the majority.

This nation is now IC-ly known as the Teutonic Reich.

Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:14 pm

“Many Eyes”
Il Palazzo Di Pazzienza (The Palace of Patience)
The Grand City of Delmonte

“Power is a fleeting thing, that rises like the sun. As high as it might burn brightly, it will set, retreating before the night. For what might rise, so too shall fall.”

– Marsella of Dakmoor, 1875

You should have let them protest. Ambassador Belus thought as she sat in the back of a courtroom. It was a magnificent structure, crafted of marble, not unlike many buildings in Ghish. She admired the architecture as she sat in a violet dress that matched her eyes. Her long wavy dark hair was up in a bun, and her once fair skin, now slightly darkened by the sun, was permeated by dark freckles on her face, shoulders and on her upper chest. She was a woman of average height, neither short nor tall, and her body was neither thin nor fleshy. She was shapely enough, with curves in the right places…enough to leave her satisfied with her body. Though it was her mind that she cherished the most.

Lady Maia Belus enjoyed being the Ghantish Ambassador to Delmonte…for the most part. She went to University for it…foreign affairs, where she studied Delmonte, not in small part due to her fascination with the country. She had the connections and the pull needed to get her the ambassadorship…in addition to the grades and the prior job experiences in the Foreign Ministry, anyway. Her father was Lord Malen Belus, a respected bannerman of Malibar of Dakmoor. The Lord Paramount of Ghant was a good friend to have, and one that Lord Belus put to good use. So it came to be that the new Prime Minister and the new Foreign Minister sought to tap Maia as ambassador to Delmonte on account of a great resume and impeccable recommendations. At the age of 27, even.

Yet these were difficult times that were unfolding in the Most Serene Republic, as this trial could attest. In Ghant, this wouldn’t have been a problem. Any man off the street could stage a protest, hold a rally, or give a rousing speech without fear of retaliation or reprisal from the powers that be. But this is not Ghant.

Belitrano Di Mosca was clearly not stupid. He knew how to play the Doge, who even now seemed rather foolish. After all, taking action against Di Mosca was surely likely to only embolden him, his comrades, and their cause.

Cesare Di Canossa was as much at the root of the problem as was the machinations of his enemies. Cesare was wealthy and powerful on account of bearing the Di Canossa name. He had access to gold mines, a merchant fleet, vineyards, and much more. having inherited his father's vineyards, merchant fleet, and gold mines. Yet for all that, Cesare was seeming lacking in certain sensibilities. For all that Cesare had, he inherited, given to him by his father. Such was often the problem that many inheritors encountered…when great things are given to you, do you have the knowledge and ability to keep them? For if a man knows how to earn what he has, he ought to now how to keep it. The Di Canossa’s made a gambit when they chose Cesare over Ludovico Di Canossa as their candidate for Doge. At least that one is possessing of more cunning. For awhile it seemed as though that gambit paid off, as both Cesare and Ludovico did much to strengthen the position of House Di Canossa.

Yet now, in this very courtroom, it began to seem possible that the gambit of House Di Canossa might come back to bite them in the ass. Di Mosca was exposing the Doge and putting him in a tight spot now. Could Cesare handle the power that was thrust upon him as Doge? More importantly, how would House Di Canossa respond as a hole? Could they be at risk, as a result of their own hubris? That would be quite poetic.

Ghant was no stranger to such situations. Amongst the nobility, there was a constant balancing act between the various Lords of Ghant. Occasionally one house would grow great in both power and influence. Naturally, whenever a House accumulates such things, they seek to use it, to exert it. In that act, such House should be careful, because other houses will not hesitate to counter it or reduce it. Wars have been started over less. The Pazuzus, the Dakmarans, the Orinberes, the Caliens, the Jehans, the Mutus, the Larrains…all have risen high, and all of them in time brought back down, by one method or another.

Maia knew what she would do if she was Cesare Di Canossa. That much was obvious. She would let him go. For the greatest weapon any man in power has is the ability to not give his enemies ammunition that can be used against him.

Perhaps it was too late for that now. Di Mosca was right…if the Doge killed him, he would tyrannical, if he imprisoned him, it would make him look afraid, and if he let him go, it would make him look weak. Any of those outcomes resulted in Di Mosca getting a victory in that battle…but the war remains to be decided.

It was then that Di Mosca finished his testimony, even going as far as to say that Cesare gave him wings. Yes he did…but not the wings of an angel. More like the wings of a bat. In any case, Maia found Di Mosca’s words inspiring, as truculent and brazen as they might have been. Maia could feel gooseprickles on her smooth skin, and her chest bearing the pressure of accelerated breathing.

Maia had a pen and paper attached to a clipboard in her bag. In that moment, she was inspired to write a poem that expressed her thoughts and feelings about what she was witnessing in that courtroom. So it was that she got to writing.

Great distances, lands traversed
Is this land free, or is it cursed?
For in this noble land of Delmonte,
There are many eyes, but none can see.

Men of great power feel the fear,
Suspecting that treachery is near.
Could it be that all they want is trust,
Instead of a sword with which to thrust?

Seeds of strife have seemed to grow,
Innocent people have been laid low.
As the blood runs and turns cold,
The ones that suffer need a hand to hold.

Yet as the blood mixes in with the ground,
Who can we count on to be safe and sound?
Could it be the men with power?
From which bile seems to shower?

I feel that change is upon the breeze,
And there shall be power to seize.
For in this noble land of Delmonte,
There are many eyes, but none can see.

Indeed, whatever happened in this courtroom, the decision ought to be made sensibly to avoid escalating the situation. Maia doubted that would happen, though. For even in that immaculate marble courtroom, there were many eyes…but none could see.
Last edited by Ghant on Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:43 pm

Amare glanced at the executores standing at their mahogany table. They were baffled. They had been prepared for a trial that would drag on for weeks or even months.

"Are the Executores content to allow the jury to deliberate? Or do they have more arguments to present?"

The lead Executore muttered something to his co-council, rose, and said "Your honor, we are prepared for the jury to deliberate now."

Amare waved gently in the direction of the gantries that housed the jury. The crier began instructing them on how to vote and what matters to vote on. Without even listening, all twenty jurors made their way quietly over to the far most right side of the upper gantries, indicating their votes for a guilty verdict. Belitrano Di Mosca merely nodded, rose, and put his hands behind his back. Bailiffs duly took him into custody to be sentenced. As they did so, the courtroom doors flung open. Two members of the Dogaretti, signified by their crimson and gold badges, marched in and walked solemnly up to Amare in his dais to conduct a whispered conversation. The details could only barely be overheard by those in attendance.

"Is he sure? ... I suppose... I am his servant."

The Dogaretti left as quickly as they had come and Amare cleared his throat.

"Belitrano Di Mosca, for your crimes against the state, you are sentenced to life imprisonment in the prison of Isola Ballio."

Di Mosca scoffed. "Idiots." he said, as he was escorted out of the courtroom.

The Basilica of St. Theodosius

Cardinal Varro was not as alone as Di Mosca was. He had his supporters among the clergy, few as they were, and they could not be barred from attending in support of him. They occupied the pews behind him. Meanwhile, his opponents filled the pews on the opposite side of the Basilica and overflowed into the aisles and the alcoves. Whereas, in Delmonte's civil trials, order reigned, ecclesiastical courts felt much less obliged to maintain composure. The shouts of Di Mosca's detractors rang throughout the Cathedral, echoing with seven centuries of aristocratic upbringing and noble monopoly on the upper echelons of the Archdiocese. Eventually, like a choir, they found a note they could unite upon:

"Traditor! Traditor! Traditor!" they recited over and over again, banging their fists on the pews in rhythm. In the vestry, a far different confrontation was taking place. Raccio's altar servers and assistant priests put on the last of his ceremonial garments as Ludovico impressed upon him the seriousness of the situation.

"The trial today with Di Mosca was a last resort. We need you to make this one a victory, Ange."

The young cardinal waved off the older diplomat. "Why do you think I spent two days at the Curia? It wasn't just for the hookers. I have this under control, trust me." Ludovico, barely mollified, allowed the Cardinal to pass him towards the altar. As he did so, Raccio took a moment to take in the splendor of the Basilica. Centuries of wealth and donations had gilded every surface in marble, gold, and silver. He thought of it like an office, but it was quite a nice office. As he reached the altar, he began to speak (only barely remembering to bless himself).

"Cardinal Varro, as you know, ecclesiastical trials are somewhat different..."

The renegade clergyman barked at his rival at the altar. "Of course I know. And you have almost no temporal power. You can throw me in a monastic prison for a year at most, then it's back out. You'd have done better to put me in the civil courts with Di Mosca!"

Unperturbed, Raccio continued. "Our temporal punishments are, indeed, limited in number and in duration, but you will find... our ecclesiastical punishments to have quite the sting. Would the guards please present the accused with our document from the Holy Father?" As Varro was approached, Raccio said, "Oh, and by the way, I find you guilty. Of... everything. We've moved on to the sentencing now."

Varro read the document he'd been presented with under his breath, his few supporters craning their necks for a glance. The fascist Cardinal gasped and dropped the parchment.

"His... Holiness would... agree to this?"

Raccio gave a blithe smile and nodded. "I only wanted to defrock you. The excommunication was his idea, actually."

Varro, deflated, collapsed in his chair. "I... didn't vote for the man, but I never thought him capable of..." he gestured at the parchment lying in front of him. "This."

Raccio shifted his weight onto his left foot. Standing for the duration of the trial was one of the drawbacks of an ecclesiastical court. "However, I have another paper for you. A much more generous paper." He waved again and a second document, this one quite longer, was presented to the convicted priest. Raccio moved slightly to the right in order to get out of the way of a particularly irksome sunbeam before explaining himself to Varro.

"Renounce Di Mosca. Disavow the Crimson Guard. And re-affirm the Holy See's quiet stance, enumerated there, that fascism is inherently atheist and antithetical to Holy Mother Church. And you'll get to live out the remainder of your days as a Cardinal and in communion with our Lord, albeit under the guardianship of the Archdiocese of the Grand City of Delmonte."

Varro glared at the Di Canossa puppet in a crimson cloak.

"Fine." he sighed, averting his eyes from the crucifix that loomed over him.

Raccio clapped his hands together. "Someone get him a pen. Oh, and a glass of Communion wine. To celebrate his ability to still receive Communion. He can consecrate it himself. I think we're done here, let's get some food."

Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:20 am

“The More You Know”
September 2014

Very few things got past Ambassador Maia Belus. And a great many things were going on right now indeed. The executores stood at their table, no doubt ruminating upon the case before them. By all accounts, it would be a long trial, drawn out over a long period of time. And it requires my attention, no less thought the Ghantish ambassador as she put away the piece of paper she had written a poem on, and got out a different one to write down whatever was undoubtedly going to be said.

The Venerable Doge Amare Di Canossa cast his gaze upon the executors, and asked them "are the Executores content to allow the jury to deliberate? Or do they have more arguments to present?"

At this, the lead Executore responded "your honor, we are prepared for the jury to deliberate now."

Well, wasn’t that fast, thought Maia with amusement as she wrote down some of her observations. Meanwhile, the court crier began to tell the twenty jurors on what to do in regards to fulfilling the voting process. Now, this is certainly interesting. All twenty jurors went to the right side of the gantries, which was in effect voting guilty. And they certainly made their minds up quickly about that…

Belitrano Di Mosca merely nodded, rose, and put his hands behind his back. Bailiffs duly took him into custody to be sentenced. As they did so, the courtroom doors flung open. Two members of the Dogaretti, signified by their crimson and gold badges, marched in and walked solemnly up to Amare in his dais to conduct a whispered conversation. The details could only barely be overheard by those in attendance.

"Is he sure? ... I suppose... I am his servant."

The Dogaretti left as quickly as they had come and Amare cleared his throat.

"Belitrano Di Mosca, for your crimes against the state, you are sentenced to life imprisonment in the prison of Isola Ballio."

Di Mosca scoffed. "Idiots." he said, as he was escorted out of the courtroom.

Belitrano Di Mosca found guilty of treason, including the specific charges of plotting to assassinate the Doge, staging riots and mobs in Diorso, actively planning assaults on government employees, and assaults on government properties. Sentenced to life imprisonment in the prison of Isola Ballio.

Well, at least it’s not a death penalty, the ambassador thought after the verdict was given and the sentence carried out. Di Mosca seemed indignant over the whole thing, even going as far as to say “idiots” as he was escorted from the room. Indeed, the whole ordeal seemed strange to Maia, who tucked her notes into her bag before rising from her seat and quietly leaving the courtroom.

The Ambassador’s next project concerned one Cardinal Varro, whom she had it on good word was undergoing an ecclesial trial at the Basilica of St. Theodosius. Not wanting to delay, Maia secured for herself a cab to take her to the basilica. No doubt the Cardinal will suffer a harsh fate, Maia thought as she rode in the back of the cab. Her government seemed complacent in these events, viewing far-right fascism as a blight, but Maia thought that it was merely a convenient strawman that the Doge was using to consolidate his power and influence within Delmonte. Though I cannot be so sure just yet…

Sure enough, Maia received a CC on a communiqué from the Ghantish government to the Doge, reflecting how easily Inogaru and Prime Minister Yula Zimya took the bait. Well, I suppose the more you know…

Ghantish Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Ninu Inogaru

To: His Excellency Cesare Di Canossa, Doge of the Most Serene Republic of Delmonte
CC: Lady Maia Belus, Ghantish Ambassador to Delmonte
Subject: Revent Events in Delmonte
Encryption: Medium

Your Excellency,

It has come to the attention of the government of Ghant that forces loyal to the government of Delmonte have suppressed a fascist demonstration organized by members of the Crimson Guard in the city of Diorso. Naturally we express our sympathies towards anyone that was negatively affected by these demonstrations, and it is our hope that violence was minimized.

While our governments have for some time been add odds over Delmonte’s membership in the Imperial Fascist Alliance, we recognize the necessity of dealing with dangerous, subversive grassroots political movements, and we applaud the government of Delmonte for distancing itself from the radical far-right. We have the utmost confidence that those responsible will be brought to justice.

Naturally we would like to inquire as to the status of Mr. Belitrano Di Mosca and His Eminence, Cardinal Varro, the former of which we understand is to stand trial for treason against the state. To this end, our Ambassador to your fair nation, Lady Maia Belus, is conducting her own investigation in order to help us better understand the situation affecting Delmonte at present. Please do not hesitate to call upon her if you wish to discuss the matter through an official diplomatic channel.

Sincerely,

Ninu Inogaru
Minister of Foreign Affairs
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Joyride

Postby Delmonte » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:11 pm

Co-written with Ghant

Michele and Delio pulled their car behind the Ghantish ambassador's cab as an identical black cruiser cut it off ahead. Michele got out and approached the cab as Delio looked behind them for any suspicious activity. The former flashed his badge to the confused cab driver.

"Policia Speciale." he made eye contact with Maia now and ignored the driver completely. "Ambassador, you are requested at the Piazzo Del Toro along with other diplomatic staff from foreign nations. We have reason to believe the Irridentistas plan on kidnapping foreign officials to further their ends. If you could join us in our car, quick as you please?"

Maia looked at the man who approached her cab and raised an eyebrow as he spoke to her. “Forgive me, sir, but my intentions are to attend the ecclesial trial of Cardinal Varro at the Basilica of St. Theodosius,” she explained politely. “As a matter of diplomatic prudence...I’m sure you understand.”

Michele nodded as he opened the door of the cab. “While I appreciate your interest in the affairs of Holy Mother Church, the Ecclesiastical Guard puts the security of clergymen above all else. If the Irridentistas were to target you, you may be an afterthought for them. Whereas the Special Police place affairs of state above the affairs of the Church, which is probably how things should be.”

Delio glanced at Michele. That last comment was a bit brazen. Michele gestured politely, still holding the door. “I’m afraid I must insist. As a matter of security prudence. I’m sure you understand.”

“...Show me your papers, please,” Maia insisted, still calm.

“Papers? I have my badge. If you think we would write down our security plans so that the Irridentistas could secure them if they were to kill us, you’re mistaken. That would be a disservice to you and to Il Serenissimo.”

“Then show me your badge, if you’d please.” Still seated in the cab and still calm, Maia was growing more and more suspicious of these men, but wasn’t going to rule out a misunderstanding.

The cab driver swore. Time spent idling his vehicle was time wasted. Michele pointed a gloved finger at the driver. “You shut your mouth, alright?”

He looked back at the ambassador. “You wanna see my badge? Sure, I’ll show it again. I love showing it off.” He made a face as if to say “I’m game!” and reached into his coat pocket with his left hand while still holding the door with his right. He pulled out a leather case and opened it for the ambassador to see.

“Not that a diplomat would be able to pick up on the detail, but it’s laser etched steel. Did you make this cab driver show you his badge too?” Michele gestured at the still seething man in the front seat of the car with the leather case as he made to put it away once more.

“Satisfied? Do you want to see their badges too? We’ve all got ‘em.”

Sighing, Maia shook her head and replied, “fine, fine. I’ll go.” Before she got out of the car, however, she texted her location to the embassy, and what was happening, just so they would be aware.

“Thank you, ma’am. Quick as you please. Delio, the door.” Delio opened the back door to the cruiser they had arrived in and offered it to Maia.

Carefully, Maia exited the cab and approached the other car. With a moment’s hesitation, she climbed in with her personal affects, keeping them close to her. She didn’t say anything, merely waiting for the man to shut the door and get in the front seat.

“Forgot your seat-belt, ma’am. Let me help you with that.” Delio said as he leaned into the back passenger compartment of the automobile. With legerdemain that bespoke training, he quickly produced a black cloth soaked in some sort of compound and placed it firmly over the ambassador’s mouth, pressing his hand down to stifle any sound as best he could.

It happened fast. Maia didn’t have time to react, be it with speech or by physical action. The wet cloth overwhelmed her quickly, and just like that, she was unconscious in the back seat, to await whatever fate was in store for her. Delio smiled and nodded. "Sorry for the reach, Madame Ambassador. I'll take your things for you."

Delio quickly grabbed her bag, phone, and other personal belongings. He popped the phone and other sundries into her bag before returning to the irate cab driver.

"We need to make a stop first. Please take Madame Belus' bag to the Piazzo Del Toro and give it to the staff there for her arrival. They'll pay you."

The prospect of an easy fare had lifted the cab driver's heart and he happily agreed. Delio and Michele returned to the front seat of their car and their companions, who had been blocking off the cab, moved so that they could begin their journey.

"We've got about three hours before that wears off."

"We'll be on the ferry in twenty minutes. Any tracking device in her phone or other belongings will lead them to the Piazzo. It'll take the cab forty minutes to get there, maybe another half hour if he tries to rack up the meter. They won't know where she's been taken or how. If we can get to the ferry we're home free."

As it happened, they did get to the ferry and made landfall at Iena, the heart of the Irridentist movement. From there, they made their way to the foothills which were prickling with Irridentist paramilitary groups and bunkers. Just as a certain cab driver was beginning to make quite the fuss at the Piazzo Del Toro.

"Sir." the security guard said, "If you were paid to transport Ambassador Belus' belongings, it really sounds like you should be taking the charge up with the Ghantish embassy. Not us. I suggest you speak to them."
Last edited by Delmonte on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents