NATION

PASSWORD

2014 II rper of the year: hub thread

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

How should we deal with contestants withdrawing?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:16 pm

select a wildcard at random from the 1-nomination group
43%
select a wildcard from the contestants who did not emerge victorious in their previous matchups.
14%
give the opponent of the withdrawingcontestant a bye into the next round
38%
do not allow contestants to withdraw
5%

Total votes : 21

The greater Vakolicci Haven
Senator

Founded: Dec 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:01 am

The Macabees wrote:
The Oan Isles wrote:• The Panel of Judges should be made up of Roleplay Mentors.

I don't speak for any other mentor other than myself, but from what I've read there's no interest in associating any competition with the mentors.

Agreed. All of the mentors are very good rpers, don't get me wrong, but ns also has a lot of very good rpers who aren't mentors. For the purpose of this competition, mentors are normal players.
RIP Vakolic, 08/08/2009-29/12/2013, unjustly deleted.
Population: 9.6 billion (to be added to current population of this nation)
Last known defence budget: 82.2 trillion
Last known gdp: $423.2 trillion (nstracker)
For other stats, please tg.
the greater Vakolicci Haven
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Tiami
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 24, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tiami » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:29 pm

The greater Vakolicci Haven wrote:As a simple majoritarian system has the potential for abuse, and a system of judges breeds alegations of unrepresentativeness and arrogence, how about merging the 2?

I would like to propose that we use a split-vote system, in which the threads go on as before. This public vote, if it is won, earns 10 points. If it is won very closely, it will earn 8 points, with 2 going to the defeated party. If it is a tie, each party will gain 5 points.
Each judge must submit a vote, with a reason for said vote, at the end of the thread. Each of the 5 judges awards 2 points each. Judges cannot vote in the public vote.

What is everyone's opinion of that model? I think it's a good compremise.

So… you're taking what I already suggested and adding a points system to it?

The Oan Isles wrote:• The Panel of Judges should be made up of Roleplay Mentors.
• The Nominees should submit or link to their major works.
• The public should vote for the nominees and the top ten should be brought before the panel for assessment and it should judge. We could just use a "most votes system" for the public voting.

The Oan Isles, why would just mentors judge? Answer this question, then read your answer. Then reread my question. You will realize that mentors are not the only viable source of help in the RPing community.

No, NS mentors would be constitute the judges panel. Sure, maybe one, but there are a plethora of RPers, veteran and new alike that are more than capable of holding their own with mentors. Mentors are players in our community that are upstanding members and are usually more active. Veteran players too have good community records, but mentors are further recognized. Nonethtless, mentors and other RPers are more than able to judge adequately.
Last edited by Tiami on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Elven Kingdom of Amador
Founder of TETism and 18-year NS vet
|| All things II RP-related || Discord: nstiami || FN&I General Help ||
|| IIWiki || ANI News || Military Worldbuilding || RPing Questions? Ask Here! ||
|| Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3 || The Best Quote ||

Rephesus
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rephesus » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:54 am

Irregardless future iterations should not be stickied. This competition is not a reflection of the wider community, despite the beliefs of some, many of us just frankly want nothing to do with this trumped up popularity contest and frankly it shouldn't be endorsed via a sticky, as that implies it has legitmacy. It hasn't had legitimacy since Jenrak ran it, and in hindsight even then many votes on the lines of who they liked better, or who's name they knew beforehand.

Tiami
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 24, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tiami » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:33 am

Rephesus wrote:Irregardless future iterations should not be stickied. This competition is not a reflection of the wider community, despite the beliefs of some, many of us just frankly want nothing to do with this trumped up popularity contest and frankly it shouldn't be endorsed via a sticky, as that implies it has legitmacy. It hasn't had legitimacy since Jenrak ran it, and in hindsight even then many votes on the lines of who they liked better, or who's name they knew beforehand.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=107995&hilit=New+Azura+Roleplayer+of+the+Year
So this incarnation had no legitimacy?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=175881&hilit=New+Azura+Roleplayer+of+the+year
This is another RPing competition. Wildly successful, but apparently had no legitimacy. Last year's was successful too, so that means it had some sense of legitimacy. If you are going to make claims, Rephesus, then back them up.

Those were MT competitions back when New Azura ran them… two years ago. Both were moderately successful. Last year's competition was a good one despite some hostilities. Overall, the competition carries legitimacy because people believe it does and people look forward to it. RPOY serves not just as a competition, but as a showcase to let a broader range of players see another player's writing. We write because we like to, yes? Do we not also write because we enjoy pleasing the crowd as well? For a lot, yes. For some, no. Allowing others that normally might not read your ('your' is a general phrase in this sentence) writing opens up players to gaining new knowledge. Yes, RPOY is corrupt now, but that function still exists.

I agree with the notion that this competition should not be in the stickies. The competition this year (not quite as much in the past) featured far too much corruption and dick waving. If certain key issues can be solved, then maybe, just maybe, can this competition be stickied again. For now, RPOY has no merit to sit atop the front page of II. There is a reason why I and some friends are trying to amend the issues so that the competition can live on and become more efficient. The purpose this competition was created was not to see who has the biggest dick, but rather for everyone to have fun.

For the sake of garnering some more answers, do let me ask: How, as a whole, does the competition not reflect the community? If I look at it, players from all corners can and are in competition. That, in some ways, reflect the various styles of writing and preferences of the community as a whole. I expect I will know how you will answer Rephesus, but do answer my question.

Had to search for it, so pardon all the highlighted words.
Last edited by Tiami on Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Elven Kingdom of Amador
Founder of TETism and 18-year NS vet
|| All things II RP-related || Discord: nstiami || FN&I General Help ||
|| IIWiki || ANI News || Military Worldbuilding || RPing Questions? Ask Here! ||
|| Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3 || The Best Quote ||

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:19 am

OK, with all the shit that's been going on around this competition, I need to ask a serious question.

How much interest is their in me keeping this alive? If people genuinely want it to continue, I'll get the next round going.
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:50 am

The greater Vakolicci Haven wrote:OK, with all the shit that's been going on around this competition, I need to ask a serious question.

How much interest is their in me keeping this alive? If people genuinely want it to continue, I'll get the next round going.

With all the controversy and the divisiveness that it has caused, I would not be opposed to seeing it get shut down.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I still believe in the good things that a competition like this can bring. For instance, I was able to meet and become friends with Valaran through my matchup with him. I became aware of other RPers and their work, and my own work got exposure as well. So, I am thankful that new friends and new RPing opportunities were created through it. I believe that is what the competition should be about...the spirit of roleplaying.

Having said that, at the same time there has been so much factionalism, cutthroatery and asshatery that it is reasonable to assume that should the competition continue, it could only get worse. Hence why I would not be adverse to a premature ending.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

Alexiandra
Senator

Founded: Feb 04, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Alexiandra » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:09 pm

I'd be in favour of shutting it down. I'm sick of seeing it at the top of my post list :p
'A distinction is made in private life between what a man thinks and says of himself and what he really is and does. In historical struggles one must make a still sharper distinction between the phrases and fantasies of the parties and their real organisation and real interests, between their conception of themselves and what they really are.'

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:12 pm

Alexiandra wrote:I'd be in favour of shutting it down. I'm sick of seeing it at the top of my post list :p

You thought that even when it worked though.
:p
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Rephesus
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rephesus » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:47 pm

Alexiandra wrote:I'd be in favour of shutting it down. I'm sick of seeing it at the top of my post list :p

Basically this.

It's a useless thread now and frankly there's no need to continue.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents