NATION

PASSWORD

2014 II rper of the year: hub thread

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

How should we deal with contestants withdrawing?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:16 pm

select a wildcard at random from the 1-nomination group
43%
select a wildcard from the contestants who did not emerge victorious in their previous matchups.
14%
give the opponent of the withdrawingcontestant a bye into the next round
38%
do not allow contestants to withdraw
5%

Total votes : 21

The greater Vakolicci Haven
Senator

Founded: Dec 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:52 pm

I bet you all forgot about this thread, didn't you?

Well, while Valaran was dealing with personal matters, I decided to keep the competition open, and so have refrained from progressing until today.

For today, something has changed. The floodgates have opened: the production line moves swiftly on, a glorious and harmonious creschendo as men, women and children have their opinions heard and their works judged by others. This is what we are here, on this thread for, and it is what will be restarting now.

For today, with Xiscapia V.s. Huerdae I, The Greater Vakolicci Haven, can guarantee to you that business as usual has restarted itself!

((disclaimer: Business as usual did not restart all on its own. Business as usual required some prompting to restart by the Greater Vakolicci Haven.))
RIP Vakolic, 08/08/2009-29/12/2013, unjustly deleted.
Population: 9.6 billion (to be added to current population of this nation)
Last known defence budget: 82.2 trillion
Last known gdp: $423.2 trillion (nstracker)
For other stats, please tg.
the greater Vakolicci Haven
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:29 pm

Just to say, it was entirely my fault, for which I apologise.
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:18 am

Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:31 am

Voc, this is the last call for your rp sample. If you can't provide them to me today (before 00:00 gmt tomorrow), or if someone helpful doesn't provide it to me, I will have to carry on with the competition without you, handing your opponent a bye to the next round.
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Tiami
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 24, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tiami » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:37 am

The greater Vakolicci Haven wrote:Voc, this is the last call for your rp sample. If you can't provide them to me today (before 00:00 gmt tomorrow), or if someone helpful doesn't provide it to me, I will have to carry on with the competition without you, handing your opponent a bye to the next round.

Have you TGed Voc?
The Elven Kingdom of Amador
Founder of TETism and 18-year NS vet
|| All things II RP-related || Discord: nstiami || FN&I General Help ||
|| IIWiki || ANI News || Military Worldbuilding || RPing Questions? Ask Here! ||
|| Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3 || The Best Quote ||

Dreadful Sagittarius
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 31, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Dreadful Sagittarius » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:58 pm

The greater Vakolicci Haven wrote:Voc, this is the last call for your rp sample. If you can't provide them to me today (before 00:00 gmt tomorrow), or if someone helpful doesn't provide it to me, I will have to carry on with the competition without you, handing your opponent a bye to the next round.

Onus is on you to ask participants for them. Hell, at this point I'm not even sure half the people listed for the first round know they're in it.
In Memoriam of David 'CanisD' Briedis, October 20, 1970 - August 27, 2015
For He Loved The Stars Too Fondly, To Fear The Night
Factbook of the Phanes RepublicFuture-Tech Advice & Assistance Thread
Future-Tech Market Index ThreadThe CompendiumState of the Galaxy
Only a fool taunts the Archer

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:40 pm

Dreadful Sagittarius wrote:

Onus is on you to ask participants for them. Hell, at this point I'm not even sure half the people listed for the first round know they're in it.

Everyone, including Voc, has been asked for an rp sample. Voc multiple times.

I've received one now, so I'm going to set up these 2 matches.
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

The Advent-Unity
Secretary

Founded: Jul 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Advent-Unity » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:56 pm

It is called being busy. It happens to everyone.
The Psintegrat Empire of the Advent Unity

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:57 pm

Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:41 am

Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:33 pm

2-hour warning on Nerotysia V.s. Kraven and Tuthina V.s. Vocenae...
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:29 pm

Hello lovely/evil/insane members of the II roleplaying community;

Yet another short pause is going to occur in the proceedings of this illustrious competition. Unlike the most recent short pause, this will differ in 3 ways: it's totally my fault, it will actually be short, and you'll actually have a roll in the reason the short pause is occurring.

As we know, El Cuscatlán withdrew from the II rper of the year competition over the whole dirty business with cirtain members of Sondria and cirtain members of the NS sanctuary community, which will not be discussed any further on this thread. However, Valaran's 2 nominations had slipped my notice, for which I was rather stupid, and it was relatively simple to replace El Cuscatlán.

However, now I am faced with a problem: or rather, 2 similar problems close together. allanea and new belhavia have both decided, for different reasons, to withdraw from this contest.
I have checked the nominations twice, and their are no more 1-nomination candidates who actually hold 2 nominations. Therefore, I have decided to ask you, the people voting in this contest, how I should deal with this issue.

I have placed what I believe to be the most agreeable options on a poll;
(1) A random wildcard from the 1-nomination group. Considering that the minimum number to get a matchup was the enormous figure of 2, people who only got 1 nomination may actually be at an equal or higher level of rp than some of our competetors with more nominations, so giving them a random wildcard could throw another good rper into the mix.
(2) Bring in 2 of the people who did not win their competition.
Face it: some people had pretty hard draws, and lost narrowly; Huerdae and valaran spring to mind (although what I believe is farer has no bearing whatsoever on the random draw programme. Considering that I wrote the random draw programme, I know it's damn difficult to play around with to get a skewed result.)
3. The simplest option is to give the contestants facing the withdrawing contestant a bye to the next round. I'll be honest here, I feel this devalues the other competetors work, but it would make the competition which has been full of delays a bit closer to schedule (although schedule is impossible.)
4. Face it. This competition is not the most involved in the world. I've gone out and looked for rp samples for people with small post counts, who for one reason or another haven't responded to me. It's not difficult. So, the final option is simply to disallow resignations.

Obviously, as I'm posting this, this isn't my decision; it's yours. Go ahead and vote, and I'll happily go with whichever system is winning when the poll closes in 3 days.
Thanks for reading!
-vak
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:36 pm

Option 1
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR 1 - 0 WSH | COL 0 - 1 WPG | VGK 0 - 0 DAL || NBA: NOLA (8) 0 - 1 OKC (1)
NCAA MBB: Tulane 22-18 | LSU 25-16 || NCAA WSB: LSU 35-10

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:39 pm

Shazbotdom wrote:Option 1

Mind voting on the poll? I don't want to duplicate results so it's better if everyone just votes on the poll.
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

The Fedral Union
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:10 am

How you should deal with them withdrawing? Simple. Deal with it, you cannot FORCE them to be a part of your game. If they say no.. NO MEANS NO.. remember rp etiquette?

All this contest is doing is putting to the FOREFRONT the hypocrisy of the statements "cooperative story telling".. But making peoples styles compete like star wars versus star trek.

I do not on principle agree with it, and people are free to vote who how and to what they like. But remember what you say and make sure your foot isn't in your mouth here.

Because do you have any idea the amount of combined drama this has caused? never mind me though, I take wanting to have fun as the tenant of NS, and I do not like having to DEAL with people coming to me about post rigging in FT and about who's better than who..
Last edited by The Fedral Union on Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
Member of the Galactic Economic and Security Organization
[REDACTED BY MOD]

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:35 am

The Fedral Union wrote:How you should deal with them withdrawing? Simple. Deal with it, you cannot FORCE them to be a part of your game. If they say no.. NO MEANS NO.. remember rp etiquette?

All this contest is doing is putting to the FOREFRONT the hypocrisy of the statements "cooperative story telling".. But making peoples styles compete like star wars versus star trek.

I do not on principle agree with it, and people are free to vote who how and to what they like. But remember what you say and make sure your foot isn't in your mouth here.

Because do you have any idea the amount of combined drama this has caused? never mind me though, I take wanting to have fun as the tenant of NS, and I do not like having to DEAL with people coming to me about post rigging in FT and about who's better than who..

Not allowing people to withdraw is an unpopular poll option, and one that I don't support. However, it is an option.
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:37 am

The greater Vakolicci Haven wrote:
The Fedral Union wrote:How you should deal with them withdrawing? Simple. Deal with it, you cannot FORCE them to be a part of your game. If they say no.. NO MEANS NO.. remember rp etiquette?

Not allowing people to withdraw is an unpopular poll option, and one that I don't support. However, it is an option.

It cant be an option because simply put someone can ask a moderator to remove their name from that list.. so the point is moot.

Our nation names are intellectual property, we don't want it mentioned it. IT cannot LEGALLY.. be mentioned.
Last edited by The Fedral Union on Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
[REDACTED BY MOD]

Rephesus
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rephesus » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:38 am

Forcing people to participate in a contest they have no desire to participate in? I'm pretty sure you actually Can't do that.

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:47 am

Rephesus wrote:

Forcing people to participate in a contest they have no desire to participate in? I'm pretty sure you actually Can't do that.

Technically, they're not doing anything if I'm finding the rp sample. However, I take what you're saying, although I must stress that it's not going to be winning in the poll, so it's a rather moot point.
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:55 am

Rephesus wrote:Forcing people to participate in a contest they have no desire to participate in? I'm pretty sure you actually Can't do that.

Technically, they're not doing anything if I'm finding the rp sample. However, I take what you're saying, although I must stress that it's not going to be winning in the poll, so it's a rather moot point.

Moot point...

Well lets put at this way, you've ignored entire sections of FT and other players who are just as valid in existence and talent as the ones you've put up as contestants..

Second you notice only the people who knew those contestants voted for them ..

Third "Winning" doesn't exist, oh it doesn't matter it doesn't matter? yeah just like election campaign adds don't matter when they give influence to certain people and an endorsement to them.

This is not conductive to cooperative rp, and I can see people using their "political capital" to be dicks.

I have seen it happen. I've been here for 11 years, and frankly this shouldn't have even been sticked and should have been taken off site imo. So now we all have to watch as one group with political/ group affiliation becomes lauded and advertized as the BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST...

Yeah not a slippery slope at all.

It belong in congress in DC.. not NS.
Last edited by The Fedral Union on Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[REDACTED BY MOD]

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:05 am

Firstly, people get nominated. I didn't choose them. I can link you to the nominations thread if you want (I didn't even nominate a person.)

Also, this has been proved completely false by the most recent matchup, Kraven V.s. Nerotysia. By your logic, Kraven (as a member of Gholgoth) should have easily beaten Nerotysia, who doesn't have a large region behind him.
Did this happen?
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Asigna
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Asigna » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:09 am

You just wait TGV haven... my time will come! :p

Next year rematch.
Last edited by Asigna on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
NS's resident Filipino patriot. May also be that weird Vietnamese guy whose name must not be spoken.

Erian: If you are gay (like me) and looking, PM me. ;/\) (SO I CAN PRAY YOUR SOUL BURNS IN HELL) Kekekekek. No straighty and no wamen. I want no pussycats.

The Filipino dude is a Mangotreestian, yes, he is a believer in the gospel of the mango tree. The one true religion.
Totalitarian Theocracy
THE GREATER PHILIPPINE BAYAN
Hukbo/Military -
THE HOMELAND TERRITORIES - foreign affairs
Visit our nation! - Asigna TV - Know the Light of Heaven

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:12 am

Asigna wrote:You just wait TGV haven... my time will come! :p

Next year rematch.

bring it on! :)
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

The Order of Takhisis
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Order of Takhisis » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:16 am

I must say, I didnt expect to be voted upon by my peers of the role-play community. That being said, I look forward to the outcome, win or lose!

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:52 am

The Order of Takhisis wrote:I must say, I didnt expect to be voted upon by my peers of the role-play community. That being said, I look forward to the outcome, win or lose!

It's only supposed to be a light-hearted competition, so win or lose you've still got your name out their.
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents