NATION

PASSWORD

Realistic guide to diplomacy and projecting state power(OOC)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
El Cuscatlan
Senator

Founded: Nov 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Realistic guide to diplomacy and projecting state power(OOC)

Postby El Cuscatlan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:59 am

This is an OOC guide, please no IC posts.

Realistic guide to diplomacy and projecting state power

All of us will agree – state posses certain types of power, through which it influences international relations. In this guide, we shall not focus on nature of this power and where it comes from, because there are several theories of it, each one excluding other. However, each state – to certain degree – is able to spread it’ s influence into international area, trying to influence other counties to comply with their national or ideological interests. This power may be divided into diplomatic power, economic power and military power.

Diplomacy is weapon very often disregarded by NS players, despite the fact that many empires – like ancient China or Byzantine empire – relied on Diplomacy instead of force of arms to keep their enemies at bay. Both of these counties mastered manipulating their enemies, often turning one barbarian tribe against other, thus making them no threat for their empires. Traditional diplomacy is influencing other counties through negotiations, trying to convince them to take specific course of action. Some methods, used by diplomats, include:

- Expressing unhappiness to target state’s actions, publicly or privately

- Offering better relationships with target state if certain actions done by target state would change

- Threaten negative consequences

- Adhere to international body seeking recognition for one’s actions

- Give target state something it needs ( Diplomatic recognition, economic aid) for exchange of specific action.

- Remove what target state wans (international aid, support )
Diplomacy usually begins with Bargaining. Both states know that certain actions lead to reaction by other parties. Usually bargaining is repeated until a consensus is reached: or the negotiations are cut. Many players however are totally not seeing the fact that culture, religion, ideology, international situation etc. have big influence on what the state wants, and how it would behave. Rational move for one player will be totally irrational move for second player. Let’s take look at fictional situation.

Two counties are engaged in economic talks. Both are economic powerhouses, but have different systems of economy. Country B sells a lot of X to country A, but does not accepts other products from country A. Now, country A, world liberal benchmark, tries to support economic liberalization of county B, to balance trade. However County B sees no interest in changing their policies, because liberalization opposes their political interests of being economically and politically independent. Thus both players have much different perspectives about the situation, often not understanding what second side wants.

Interesting concept is also Public diplomacy. Goal of this concept is to create a diplomatic look around the country as diplomatic power. Example of it is series of travels undertaken by leaders, to promote certain image of the country.

Second important mean of influencing other states is through economic sanctions. Economic sanctions can be positive or negative, and are generally carrot or stick game. Positive sanctions are often carrot, trying to reward moves in desired direction. Negative sanctions are stick, trying to punish moves in not wanted direction. State economic ability depends on it’s economic potential and possible use of all economic assets it has. For example, key resource in weaker state can be useful way of negotiation with stronger state. Weaker states also can use mediators as mean to influence stronger state in certain direction they want.

Generally, economic sanctions may be divided into:

POSITIVE:

• Give the nation status of Most Favored Nation (MFN), which includes a lot of privileges
  • Give them allowance to trade sensitive materials ( Military technologies, atomic technologies)
  • Invest in target state when it seems too risky
  • Allow key product of target state into your market at best terms

NEGATIVE:

• Freeze banking assets in your banking system
  • Blacklist certain country
  • Boycott goods and services
  • Sanction certain products

Third, and most often – sadly – practiced mean on NS is use of force. Most of NSers use force like it was nothing, totally disregarding military and political realism. However, two major strategies used by counties are COMPELLENCE and DETERRENCE.

COMPELLENCE – trying through use of force or threats make the target undo something It has done.

DETERRENCE
– Discourage target from use of force.

That is mostly how international relations look like. I hope this guide helps.
Last edited by El Cuscatlan on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gran Cuscatlan - population 718 million - is rightist junta ruled county in Latin America. | I am born again Christian.
SANTIAGO ANTI COMMUNIST TREATY ORGANISATION - WE KILL THE REDS! | INDUTRIAS SOBERRANAS - CUSCATLANI ARMS! | Cuscatlani Integralism | Guardia Anticommunista

Given title of "The AntiChe" by Lolloh 10th May 2014. Now commies tremble in fear!

Tuva SSR
Minister

Founded: Nov 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tuva SSR » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:02 am

Nice guide! Two thumbs up! :clap:
Mallorea and Riva should resign
Vajrayana Buddhist and proud.
My Steam name is Mustache Cash Stash.
I support thermonuclear warfare. Do you?
RIP Leningrad Union,unjustly deleted on February 17,2014
I have survived 1 embargo,one WA condemnation proposal,and dozens of Wars,and always come out unscathed.You just can't defeat me.
5,Complete Peace
4,Peace
3,Struggling Relations
2,War
1,Total War
Current DEFCON-2
Fourth Gilnean-Lithuanian War

Blackledge
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Blackledge » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:10 am

Neat little guide. I wish more players would try diplomacy instead of cutting straight to war.
Cattle die, kinsmen die, and so shall you die, too. But one thing I know that never dies: the fame of a dead man’s deeds.
A concise history of the Falklands War
The Commonwealth States of Blackledge
Factbook|Internal Matters|

Domernicus
Attaché

Founded: Oct 10, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Domernicus » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:00 am

We do this plenty in our region, but every once in a while they lose their mind and attempt to blow up entire countries. :Y
Hello! Please send me a telegram some time! I love a good conversation.
~Founder of the best Region Ever (In my opinion),
The Nation of Nations and Friends. ~

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:01 am

Blackledge wrote:Neat little guide. I wish more players would try diplomacy instead of cutting straight to war.

This.^

And its an excellent guide, Nice work GC! :)
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

Aeyariss
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Aeyariss » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:19 am

Well it's true that most RPer in II doesn't adhere much to these fundamentals...it's all "I declare war" and "I land troops", and "I win" style of play, but that's probably because they don't know any of these. Hope others can learn 1 or 2 things from this. ;)

Havenburgh
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Havenburgh » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:21 am

Nice guide! Happy to see somebody else following diplomacy as a way to get further in NS. More people should follow this.

Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:29 pm

Looks good, great work EC!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

The Macabees
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:00 pm

Great guide. I feel, though, that the diplomatic aspect to II may be under-appreciated, because most of the diplomacy is going to take place "behind the scenes" (TGs, IRC, etc.). The success of diplomatic action can depend on secrecy, and for better-or-for-worse the fact is that it's easy to for 'secret IC' to influence other players if they become aware of. So, back channels are usually preferred, since third parties don't have access to them.
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

The State of Monavia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The State of Monavia » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:30 am

I have a number of reasons for believing that this guide needs to be added to the required reading list for new roleplayers. One of them is the guide’s concision. It quickly defines what sanctions and other diplomatic processes are and spells out the difference between compulsion and deterrence. These are basic facts that are prerequisite for most quality roleplaying of power struggles. The lists of specific examples are also useful as they provide players who read them with ideas for their threads.

On the negative side of things, you have a few typographical errors. While it is very hard to produce a perfect post that is 5,000 words long, this post is very short and east to proofread. Your formatting is inconsistent (e.g. you use two different types of bullet points for similar lists). The biggest drawback, however, is the lack of comprehensiveness. For a post that is supposed to address different aspects of what power is, you limit most of your guide to diplomatic power and barely mention much about anything else. I personally think you could make this guide a lot more interesting if you added in more material.

Great guide. I feel, though, that the diplomatic aspect to II may be under-appreciated, because most of the diplomacy is going to take place "behind the scenes" (TGs, IRC, etc.). The success of diplomatic action can depend on secrecy, and for better-or-for-worse the fact is that it's easy to for 'secret IC' to influence other players if they become aware of. So, back channels are usually preferred, since third parties don't have access to them.

Ah, yes, the old diplomacy behind the scenes cannot be forgotten. While I have no objections to OOC haggling and planning out of view, it is hard to follow a story if most of the background governing the plot is hidden inside the telegrams of the thread’s writers instead of being displayed with the other writing being roleplayed.
——✠ ✠——THE IMPERIAL FEDERATION OF THE MONAVIAN EMPIRE——✠ ✠——
FACTBOOKS AND LOREROLEPLAY CANONDIPLOMATIC EXCHANGE

MY GUIDES ON ROLEPLAYING DIPLOMACY, ROLEPLAY ETIQUETTE, CREATING A NEW NATION,
LEARNING HOW TO ROLEPLAY (FORTHCOMING), AND ROLEPLAYING EVIL (PART ONE)

Seventeen-Year Veteran of NationStates ∙ Retired N&I Roleplay Mentor
Member of the NS Writing Project and the Roleplayers Union
I am a classical monarchist Orthodox Christian from Phoenix, Arizona.

✠ᴥ✠ᴥ✠

/‾‾ʽʼ‾‾\

Ontorisa
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ontorisa » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:46 pm

Oooh, sexy.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents