NATION

PASSWORD

A Signal Made Hidden (FT re-intro, open)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Ilharessa
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

A Signal Made Hidden (FT re-intro, open)

Postby Ilharessa » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:00 pm

OOC: I was unhappy with the way the previous topic was and am redoing it. I apologize to any who may have posted on it for my silence. I find I am much happier with this one.

Location: Queen's Temporary Quarters in the Temporary Capital.

Vernanda groaned as she awoke. Her body felt slightly cramped from the curled position she had to sleep in, but the bed itself was far too short for her. It was one of the beds made to the traditional length… which meant it was too short for most people these days. The fact it was also a flat board instead of the more comfortable cushion style that had been used for the past two thousand years also didn’t help. And the sheets, while warm, were far too rough a material for her tastes.

It was not long before Vernanda growled in annoyance at the bed and stood out of it, not even thinking about her nude state as she prowled over to the dressor. Like everything else, it was made for a shorter people from a far different time. Nearly ten generations had gone to their graves in the time since the traditional measurements were set, and in that time the people had grown in height and change in personality. The lost, trying their best to survive people had been replaced by a people who had mastered their environment and had grown to become as hard and wild as the land itself. Even Vernanda, descendent of the person who became known to later generations as Ilharessa Ascendant, was nothing like the peoples who had come before.

Within the mirror itself, deep blue eyes stared back at Vernanda. The eyes were partially hardened, and yet one could see the animal-like ferocity hiding just beneath their surface. They reminded the woman more of the eyes of a predator staring at you, trying to decide if you’re prey, a threat, or something to be safely ignored. Eyes that had seen far too much bloodshed in their lifetime and which could tell whether or not the skies would let loose with a torrent of rain or would keep a more sunny disposition with a single glance at the clouds. Eyes that masked a mind capable of tactics and a combat prowess seen only in experienced warriors.

Ears next drew her attention. Pointed tips that over generations had grown longer and more pronounced. Ears more capable of hearing the wind, picking up the sounds of metal on metal or wood on wood from a distance. Ears currently pierced, though lacking in the simple adornments she planned to wear soon. They, too, exuded a wildness, as though they belonged to some beast on the hunt and not an intelligent, rational person.

Next to draw her attention was hair. It was universally white for their people, and no one could explain why. And yet, at current, it was a wild bramble of tangled locks that seemed to announce a more natural power behind the person it belonged to. Even when properly straightened and decorated with tortoiseshell, feather, and other adornments, one could never shake the feeling that it was more often caressed by the wind than by hand or comb. The ends of the hair itself had been dyed a blue to match her eyes.

The next bit to draw the eyes was the face itself. Unmarked, not even by the tribal tattoos that had become common, with full lips. The face itself had the gentle curvature of a woman’s, and yet there was undeniably something that reminded one almost of a wildcat about it. Her teeth, when she smiled, revealed fangs where many species had simply canines. The fangs had proven quite capable of piercing flesh and even some light armor, and had been employed often by desperate fighters over the millennia. The fangs were also not seen in any depictions of the ancestors, leading some to believe they were one of the many adaptations to this world.

Then came dark skin, nearly the color of pitch, over a body of feminine muscles and a certain litheness. The body itself was one that, like many, had been forged by years of having to survive on a world that did not given them any quarter. And yet, her people had adapted well, becoming hardier, taller, and far more capable of survival over the generations.

All thoughts about her appearance were quickly interrupted when Incanfes entered. The woman was much like Vernanda herself, body also hardened by the generations of surviving in a region that simply wasn’t fit for life. However, Incanfes was just a bit taller than the other, with eyes of orange and hair dyed a solid red. Incanfes was also dressed, having chosen a green robe with gold embroidery. Her hair was held up in a series of small buns along the back of her head, each held in place with a pinkish-purple feather from what Vernanda could only assume to be one of the birds introduced to the southern islands. And today Incanfes had chosen to wear her tribal tattoos, which depicted spider webs going from her eyes to the lower part of her nose. Vernanda found the result of the white lines upon that face to be quite enchanting.

“Need help getting dressed, your Majesty?" Incanfes mirthfully asked.

Vernanda responded by sticking out her tongue before sighing and pulling open a drawer on the dresser. "I guess I do need to get prepared to deal with the tribal leaders. At least I don't have to worry about being killed just because my farm is in the way."

"Of course not. Now, you have to worry about being killed because they don't like your decisions," Incanfes replied. "I still do not understand why they chose you, though. I know they had to end the fighting because they nearly had open revolts in most of the tribes, but why you?"

"They needed a mediator. And, don't forget, I'm a descendant of Ilharessa herself," Vernanda replied. "Besides, remember that day four of them met to argue with the priesthood just outside the farm? How I marched out there in nothing but a nightgown and yelled at them for being too loud?"

Incanfes laughed. "Yes. And I remember how they all backed up in utter surprise. I thought you were in serious trouble! Instead, they decided to propose you for Queen!"

Vernanda chuckled. "Yeah. I remember what Giljeni said. 'If she can shout us into submission, think of what she'll do to the others.'"

"Yeah, well, I never thought they were serious on it," Incanfes grumbled. "And every week, I end up having to shout down some conflict or another. I swear, I've been ruling for only a few months and, already, I feel like it's been years. And my decisions can affect forty million people now. Not just the two or three they did before. And responsible for getting our people off this planet and back into space."

"It comes with being a leader. Now, let's see about getting you dressed..." Incanfes murmured as she slowly walked over, positioning herself slightly behind the woman and slowly wrapping an arm around...

Meanwhile, on the bridge of the ship that had carried the Ilharessans to the planet, two figures could be seen. They moved about in the gloom, with the only light coming from the single control console set into the floor. The console itself was displaying a picture of stars, feed from an old satellite they had put into orbit decades before and which now was just another indistinguishable floating piece of metal in orbit. The rest of the bridge was dark, though both women knew it to be military-grey walls and flooring from the few times they had seen it lit. Part of the floor itself was buckled, having happened when the ship crashed and which served as a constant stumbling hazard in the time since.

Sitting at the console, using a ashwood chair that had been provided to replace the one which normally sat there, was Killenes. She was typical of the priesthood, in that her skin was a dark ash in color instead of the pitch black favored by serface Ilharessans. Her ears were slightly less pointy, teeth lacking fangs, and body generally shorter and less muscled. According to priesthood doctrine, such as she were the living incarnations of what the Ilharessans, who were at the time and sometimes in the modern era known as the drowna, originally looked like. Killenes, with her undyed hair and dark black robe, didn't care. Her job was just to watch the screen and see if anything unusual popped up. It was a simple enough job. Her overseer, an elderly priesthood drowna known as Matron Fen, was currently at the back of the room, fiddling with a panel as she tried to repair the lights.

Of course, it all suddenly changed when the screen itself flashed. A picture of what looked like a ship appeared for a few seconds before the starfield was back, with text filling the screen. The text itself scrolled far too quickly for Killenes to pick up most of it, though she soon found herself seeing certain phrases she recognized over and over. The phrase, which itself was simply a description of where they are, seemed to keep repeating.

"What in the..." And then, Killenes's eyes widened. "Matron! We're transmitting! The ship is transmitting!"

Matron Fen cursed and rushed over, not even hesitating to push the girl aside and take the chair for herself. "Stupid girl! What did you do? Damn it... This is an emergency broadcast! How did you active this?"

"I didn't, Matron. It just..."

"Save your excuses, girl. You'll need them when the high priestess gets word of this. There is no possible way that anyone can ignore this transmission at the strength it's transmitting," Matron Fen said. "Damn it. Stand up! You've got to help me cut power to the bridge before it drain's the ship's core of energy. It'll take us a good thirty minutes to shut down all of the power routes."

Emergency Transmission wrote:This is Captain Belgani Ilharessa, calling for help. My ship has crashlanded upon a world and we are currently incapable of getting it off the ground. We would appreciate any aid someone can send us in helping my people get back into space so we may return home.

This message will replay in one minute

This is Captain Belganis Ilharessa, calling for help. My ship...
Last edited by Ilharessa on Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unified Western States
Negotiator

Founded: May 12, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Western States » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:27 pm

OOC: Can I join in?

Ilharessa
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ilharessa » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:13 pm

OOC: I do not see why not. I apologize for the delay in posting. I was busy flying off the handle at someone over a matter completely unrelated to this.

I am ashamed to admit I lost my temper, but sometimes such things happen.
Last edited by Ilharessa on Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unified Western States
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Western States » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:19 pm

OOC: It happens to everyone

IC:

Captain Luke looked out over the empty space. They had been following a transmission for a few days now, attempting to find the source. His ship was the UWSN Heaven's Pillar, a heavy cruiser. The gleaming silver and blue sides were totally flawless, the weapons concealed beneath the hull.

"Com, do you have a position yet?"

"Almost sir. Seems to be a planet nearby, possible...yes. The planet is the source of the message. Should I send a burst relay?"

"Yes. Put me on a wide-band com."

"Right away. 3, 2, 1, live."

Code: Select all
Attention Captain Belgani, this is captain Luke Wish of the Unified Western States Space Navy. We have received your distress call and are inbound for your location. We will be arriving in an hour.

He shut off the com, then turned to the pilot.

"Jesse, full sub-light speed, get us to that planet."

"Yes sir." Jesse said with a grin. He activated the main engines. At the back of the Heaven's Pillar, the huge dark energy engines began to glow and the Heaven's Pillar shot off towards the planet and the distress signal.

Ilharessa
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ilharessa » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:00 pm

Ultimately, Vernanda and Incanfes had chosen a lovely blue dress with silver stitching, completed with a cloak that depicted Ilharessa Ascendant herself overlooking a group of workers slowly transforming barren rock into farmland. To complete it, she had chosen a platinum tiara with a single sapphire in the middle. Her shoes were soft silk slippers, matching the dress in color and chosen to allow her comfort and flexibility. The entrance that Vernanda had made was as regal as the position itself.

Sadly, the tiara was now on the floor and smashed from footfalls on it. The cloak itself was lying on the throne and the dress had a number of minor rips and cuts. And, at current, she was busy slamming the head of one guy, whose name she doesn't know, against a wall while her cheek bled freely from a single gash near her eye.

"Does" slam "anyone" slam "else" slam "wish" slam "to" slam "disagree" slam "violently?" Slam slam slam. "Or all of you good with talking for now?" Vernanda let go of the guy, now unconcious and likely close to dead, as she turned back to the group.

The room itself had been chosen for its simplicity. White marble walls, nice whitewood round table, chairs of matching wood, and a domed glass ceiling supported by white marble columns. The room had been clean and unmarked for all of ten minutes the first day they met here. At current, one of the columns was little more than a broken stump, having been reduced to that by a gun duel that broke out between two tribal leaders, and the ceiling had gone from a depiction of birds in flight to a hodgepodge of different colors due to constant replacement of the glass. The table and chairs were all heavily scarred from contact with blades and other weapons. And even instituting searches of people did nothing for the fistfights.

"Good," she said to the silent nodding. "Now, shall we..."

"Your Majesty!" yelled a small messenger boy as he ran into the building.

"By Ilharessa Ascendant herself, I will gut you and hang you from the ceiling by your own entrails if this is not important," Vernanda growled, ignoring how the boy skidded to a stop and paled.

"Y-your Ma-ma-majesty, it's the priesthood. There's a problem. The ship started transmitting and, well... They've recieved a reply," the messenger said.

Vernanda facepalmed. "Ancestress, you test me far more than others these days." She looked to the tribal leaders, ignoring their myriad of clothing, tattooes, and hair dyes. "Fine. We will reconvene this discussion of inter-tribe trade and sanction standards tomorrow. And if any of you starts a fistfight tomorrow, I will personally toss you off the roof of your building and sell tickets to people who wish to watch your corpse bounce. Am I understood?"

Vernanda did not even wait for replies as she stalked off, following the kid through the marble halls and towards the basement. "Nine hundred years. We spend nine hundred years in tribal war and those inbred bastards spend every moment in conference trying to slide us right back into it. If it wasn't for all of those years on that farm, I'd sooner strip naked and run blindfolded through a minefield than deal with those ingrates again."

Her ranting continued for quite some time as the pair decended, with stone quickly giving way to metal and, soon, religious decorations giving way to the interior of a crashed military spaceship. Even after all of this time, efforts to repair the ship itself required massive funds and constant work. Centuries of effort, often interrupted, to take into space a group of people who were now ten million short of being one hundred times the size of the population that crashlanded. It was not long before she was in the bridge and, with only a cursory nod to the girl standing in the corner, facing Matron Fen.

"We tried to cut power before the reply came, but... we were too late. As you know, it could be just about anyone. This area of space..." the Matron began.

"Was listed as dangerous territory by an empire that we've had no contact with for over eight thousand years and wasn't even supposed to send military units to this area anyway. I know the secret history, Matron," Vernanda said. "Now, let me over to this console. I shall deal with this, as it is my area."

This is Queen Belgani Vernanda, descendent of Captain Ilharessa. We... are not exactly the same people as the ship which crashlanded, and the reactivation of the distress beacon was, itself, accidental. However, we are still stranded upon this world, and we would still appreciate assistance in getting back to the stars. My distant ancestor charged us with that mission and, even now, we've yet to complete it.

Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:27 pm

I've been wanting to stretch my RP-legs for a while, and I've been keeping an eye out for good opportunities. This could be just the thing. It's creative and well written. With your permission, I'd like to join this story.
I won't be dropping in right away. It's take time ICly for my people to notice the signal, decide on a response, then execute that response. So for now, consider this a glorified Tag and request to join.
FT: The Morningstar Coalition
Morningstar OOC Thread | Dossier of Embassies | The Morningstar Grand Conclave IC Thread/OOC Thread - The multi-faction ruling body of Morningstar meets here, | The Phoenix Initiative - Morningstar's bid for "immortality".
My sigged quotes got too long for Nationstates' signature limits, so now I'm collecting all future sig quotes HERE.

Ilharessa
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ilharessa » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:39 pm

There, fixed the tags.

And, yes, feel free!

Flecktarn
Secretary

Founded: Jul 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Flecktarn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:13 pm

OOC: May I join in? The thread seems like it should be rather interesting.

Ilharessa
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ilharessa » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:15 pm

OOC: Sure!

Unified Western States
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Western States » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:23 pm

Luke nodded as the response came back. He began his response.

Very well, Queen Vernanda. Regardless of who you are, our codes stipulates we must assist. We are too big to land on the planet, however we will send down a shuttle so I can meet with you face to face. If, of course, that is ok with you.

Flecktarn
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Flecktarn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:50 pm

OOC: Thank you.

IC:

Commandant-Marshal Aviana Grim leaned on the railing in front of her flagship's holo-pit, observing the field exercises of Beta Fleet with a keen interest. Beta fleet had recently overhauled all its ships to install a new generation of thruster and power reactor and this was the first time they had been put under combat stresses, even if only simulated ones. So far everything had been performing far above anybody's expectations, which pleased the Commandant-Marshal to no end, especially since her flagship had been upgraded with the new systems.

Turning away from the holo-pit she addressed her senior aide, "Well Aidan, it would seem you were right to suggest that I overhaul the Ascalon. These new drives are far more efficient and compact than the previous Mk. 89 series."

Senior field marshal Aidan Pryde nodded, "Thank you, ma'am. The new fusion reactors have also proved themselves more stable and powerful than the previous models when put under combat stress." He gestured to the holo-pit where ships were dodging around firing mock charges at each other, and took a breath to continue when one of the bridge crew gave a shout.

"Commandant-Marshal! Ma'am, we have just picked up an emergency beacon and are translating it now." Aviana walked over to the crewman's terminal, it had always been a quirk of hers to want to be in on every message. "Ma'am, uh, another message has just come in from the same source. We identified the language and were running a translation of the first, but have switched to the recent broadcast. The transmitter codes and the data packaging would seem to indicate the vessel that sent this is quite old."

The crewman continued to talk but Aviana tuned him out as she read the second message. Finishing it she reached over, tapped a command into the console, and began reading the original emergency broadcast. Finishing with that she thanked the crewman and looked over at field marshal Pryde, smiling slightly, her eyes ablaze with excitement. "Field Marshal Pryde, please call in Beta Fleet, we are heading to the coordinates of these messages. I smell some kind of cover-up and I wish to investigate."

"Yes ma'am," said Pryde, saluting and quickly turning to a comm-station to issue the orders.

Outside in the cold void of space Beta Fleet ceased its maneuvers and prepared for departure. Not long after the Ascalon moved to the head of the formation and fired up its faster-than-light drives, dashing off toward the source of the signals with the fleet in tow.

Ilharessa
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ilharessa » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:23 pm

"A shuttle landing?" Vernanda asked herself. "Where in the name of all that is holy do we have space to land a shuttle?"

"What about the Corlin Fields? No one uses them..." Killenes suggested from her corner.

"That's because it's a fifty year old minefield. The Fernta tribe salted it with Legcutters before they were exterminated by the Korlanis Alliance," Vernanda replied.

"Legcutters?" Killenes asked.

"They bounce up to about knee level and shoot out blades in a circle around them. Quite capable of chopping off both of your legs."

"And the Pools of Aerlih?"

"Daft girl! Didn't you study anything of modern geography? Those are mutagen pools! Leftover from the reactor leak of two thousand years ago," Matron Fen replied. "Try Field of Xentas."

"If I wanted them all to die, I'd just have then land on the bottom of the ocean. The Field of Xentas is an antivehicle pit trap. The Fentari tribe are far too clever for their own good," Vernanda said. "Ilharessa Ascendant herself can go hang if she doesn't like this one. Have them land just outside the outer walls. May be too close to the main ship for our comfort, but you'll get over it."

Please feel free to have your shuttle land outside the frontdoors of the main building where this transmission is coming from. Since we still cannot shut off the emergency transmission, I will order efforts to get it to cease to stop so you may use it to track where to land.

The fly-in would provide a very distinct view of the nation itself. The ilharessans had settled a rather large chain of islands, with more than a dozen of sufficient size to handle a small town or larger settlement stretching in a line from north to south. It also revealed the truth about their landing: The scattered pieces of the ship, sticking up out of the ground, revealed the ship to have broken up on the way down. Every island had been hit with pieces of the ship, and a couple could be seen sticking out of the ocean as well. The people, in lieu of moving these parts, had simply built around them; entire cities could been seen surrounding a piece or large piece, and more than a few had large buildings constructed around them or on top of them. But, for the most part, the land itself appears to be a wilderness, with islands covered in forests, grasslands, and more than a few having sparkling waterfalls from the extinct, and not so extinct, volcanos they formed from.

Of course, the truth was far darker. Any scans would reveal the islands to be, to a degree, a ecological disaster. The northernmost island was completely irradiated, with a large structure that looked like an engine sitting in its center and continually leaking radiation. The surrounding water of the islands was completely polluted with a variety of toxins, most of them millenia old. The plantlife was, upon close scanning or inspection, not even native to this world, while a quick search of the dirt would reveal that all life had been scoured from the islands by some event in generations past. Several of the smaller inland water supplies would turn out not to be water at all, but extremely toxic chemical pools that the natives had yet to clean up. More scans would also reveal a number of areas with scattered landmines, buildings which showed recent damage from either bombs or artillery, burnt husks of buildings that were destroyed either by fire or explosive, and even a couple of underground sections holding extremely dangerous biological agents, which would show to be completely sealed.

Despite all of that, the people lived on the land. People could be seen leading cattle around toxic pools and fields of mines, carefully seeing to crops, entering and exitting stores or chatting in busy streets, or even out hunting within the forests. More than a few could be seen working on buildings, lawns, or private gardens. Children could be seen playing, teenagers chatting in groups and laughing, or even the occasional couple enjoying a secluded spot to eat, kiss, and just watch the sky. A brawl could even be observed spilling out of what couple only be a tavern, with people in uniforms shouting and rushing in to interfere. And, even, one guy could be spotted delivering a package, though he had heavily armed guards with him for the delivery.

The building itself would prove to be a marble tower surrounded by a square wall, with the transmission detected as coming from beneath it. Decorating the sides of the tower and, positioned as though to hold it aloft, were four statues of the same woman. Upon getting closer to to the ground, the wall itself could be seen to be covered with depictions of the woman in a large number of scenes, with the doors of the wall being made up of two depictions of the woman that are holding hands with each other.

---------------------------------------------

"Hey, what's with this odd static on the picture?" Vernanda asked.

"Dunno. Every once in awhile, it gets that. We checked it once, but it's some kind of extra data the satellite's sending. Thing is, the satellite's so old that the program decayed severely. Data's kinda unusual, though. Something about motion, from what little we were able to salvage," Matron Fen said.

"Motion... Are you telling me the satellite has some kind of motion sensor?" Vernanda asked.

"Well, maybe. The specs for the satellite were too badly damaged by the damage to the main computer. We have no idea what it's fully capable of. We do know it's not armed."

"Great. For all we know, this thing could have had us home thousands of years ago."

OOC: I forgot to add that part!
Last edited by Ilharessa on Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ilharessa
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ilharessa » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:26 pm

OOC: Okay, it's fixed. They won't be able to detect anyone not communicating with them, but people can detect them :p
Last edited by Ilharessa on Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unified Western States
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Western States » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:30 pm

Luke had already boarded the shuttle with a unit of marines. After all, he didn't know who these people were. The shuttle engaged the dark energy drives and shot down towards the planet. The silver colored shuttle glinting in the sunlight, it swept over the islands. Luke looked out over them and whistled.

"Beautiful planet. Too bad it's already taken."

"True that." One of the marines said. The shuttle locked onto the coordinates and headed towards the marble building. As they slowed, Luke got his look at the marble building.

"Wow. These people, whoever they are, are quite artistic and skilled."

"Hell yeah. Well, we're here." The pilot said as the shuttle landed. It didn't actually land, but it hovered a few feet above the ground. The side slid open and a staircase descended. Luke, in full captain dress uniform stepped off, flanked by two marines.

Flecktarn
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Flecktarn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:58 pm

The Commandant-Marshal gripped the rails of the holo-pit with a white-knuckled grasp as reports of contact were called across the bridge. She stared at the image of the cruiser on the three-dimensional display, wondering where it possibly could have come from. After a few minutes pause she made her way to the main comm and issued a broadband statement.

This is Commandant-Marshal Aviana Grim of the Military Commonality of Flecktarn. I have arrived in system with the entirety of my Beta Fleet in response to an emergency beacon and a subsequent denial of the beacon. I am assuming there are hostilities occurring on-planet and request a situational report from all those that receive this message. Clarification of the beacon transmissions would also be appreciated.

The Fedral Union
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:12 pm

The TAS Vanguard was on patrol several light years from the source of transmission, it was escorting a science team towards a planet of interest, and the Vanguard was Terran Ticonderoga class strike cruiser roughly seven hundred and eighty one meters in length the ship was under the command of Commander Donald Balboa. The ships AI picked up on the distress call quickly, just as the Vanguard was on its way out of the star system next door and back to port it played the message on the bridge interrupting the song “silent night” that was echoing throughout the sleek sterile like environment of the bridge.

Commander Balboa sunk back in to his chair as the AI’s isomorphic projection flickered to life in front of him; he was rather annoyed at the interruption of the soothing music, the older man with salt and peppered hair and brown eyes looked up at the AI’s slender almost angelic projection.

~God damn it, what’s wrong now?~ He said to the AI through the neural link, his brown eyes gazed away from the Isomorph back to a holographic representation of the sector. The message played and the AI Responded.

~Sir we are getting a distress signal from a system several light years away, what you heard was the message I received..~

Balboa mumbled a bit, it was the start of December; they only had a few more missions to run through before he personally went on leave for the holidays along with some other respective members of the vanguard crew. He raised his hand and responded through the link, rather discouraged that it was a law to respond to distress calls this would put the ship back a while if it was actually something, if not it would be a mere inconvenience.

~All-right, Rules are rules, set jump coordinates.~

~Aye sir~

The AI responded briskly

The medium sized strike cruiser Turned on a dime facing away from the inner system of its previous assignment, its engines roared to life, streams of hot white particles faded in to space behind it. The strike cruisers hull began glow, space around it in an instant it distorted elongating the craft at least visually in to a single point of energy.

An instant later in the star system in question a burst of energy could be detected by all powers with ships in the area the jump had been completed the Vanguard seemingly bared down right in orbit of the source of the transmissions its form was silhouetted against the field of trillions stars in the night sky behind it. Its engines came to a cool down, the stream of particles from its inertia-less repeller drives died down.

Balboa stiffed up in his chair, an instrumental version of “Christmas Time Is Here” was playing in the background its soft music echoed through the bridge, officers worked immersive consoles around him, his eyes gazed softly at the three dimensional representation of the planet, he raised one of his hands and placed it on his chin stroking it softly thinking for a second, he quickly waved the AI to open a transmission.

A blip could be heard, the music softened to a near silence, Balboa spoke out in his usual diplomatic tone of voice keeping his annoyance at the situation to a minimum.
This is The Terran Alliance ship Vanguard, we don’t mean to crash the party but we received a distress signal from this star system,  either we are late or the party is just starting by the amount of ships already here, please respond.

The transmission was sent out in wide beam for anyone to respond on various frequencies…

http://usfu.deviantart.com/art/Ticonderoga-Class-139673620 <--- Strike cruiser (a model I made, I hope I’m not intruding sorry for the crappy post :P)
Last edited by The Fedral Union on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
Member of the Galactic Economic and Security Organization
[REDACTED BY MOD]

Ilharessa
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ilharessa » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Vernanda herself was already away from the com unit, rushing through hallways and corridors as she ascended from the long-buried ship and into the upper levels. She breathed a sigh of relief as she burst into the open air, leaving open the mahogany doors of the tower itself. The wood had originally been different, but it had been replaced more recently, and with a plainer door, due to some incident in the past. She smiled as, with a handwaving, she motioned for the guards to open the door and let in their guests.

The guards, like all guards of Ilharessa, wore light ballistic fabric as the majority of their armor. Over the black fabric they added their boots, plates over the legs, plates on the arms, gauntlets, a breastplate, and the helmet. The metal items did little to stop a bullet, but it had been readily made obvious that a bullet is not the only way to kill someone. The guards kept spears that were, in theory, ceremonial on hand, with light forcepistols holstered on each one. The pistols were intended to be the real weapon of combat, but the guards had proven in the past that the spears could also be quite deadly if employed right. The guards were, at least, the color of the queen's banner, which was a deep red that faded to orange at the edges.

"Welcome to our world. As you can see, we've been here for quite some time. And..." Vernanda paused as one of the guards motioned to her dress. "Oh, yes, my appearance! Please forgive the state of it. We have only recently come out of an internal war and, sometimes, one must remind the various leaders that they are here to speak about continuing the peace quite forcefully. Do not worry for your own safety, though. They wouldn't dare show their faces again today."

She held up her hand and made motion for them to come. "I hope you do not mind if we head inside. I would pick a spot outside, but... well, I'm sure you've gotten the idea on your way down that life is not exactly the easiest on these islands. We've done what we could to reconstruct their biosphere, but it's not perfect."

Meanwhile, down in the ship's command cernter, Matron Fen was in the middle of lecturing Killenes on why she was an utter failure as a priestess and other disparages about her service when the message came in from the other arrivals in system. The Matron scowled as she turned her attention to it, giving the much younger girl the needed chance to escape the Matron's wratch for the moment. And forcing the Matron herself to remember how the system worked.

I am Matron Fin, of the priesthood of Ilharessa Ascendant, current caretaker of the crashed ship that brought us to this world and one of the advisors of Queen Belgani Vernanda. No hostilies are currently going on of which I am aware, though I may soon be initiating some against a pupil who has chosen to hide from her lecture. I assume you come in response to the distress call? One of our ancestors originally sent that call, but that was generations ago and we who are left are the descendants of those who crashed. Admittedly, we have had hostilities recently, but that was a minor internal problem which did not last overly long.

"Hopefully they won't believe nine hundred years to be overly long. Last I need is some heretic outsiders questioning my logic when my own mind does enough of that anymore," the Matron grumbled.

Then, came yet another, causing the matron to frown.

We welcome you to this system. As I have said to the others, it's... complicated. The distress call does not lie in saying we are stranded; it was originally intended for a time far in the past, and we are the descendants of the people who first landed here.
Last edited by Ilharessa on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flecktarn
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Flecktarn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:38 pm

Aviana read the two incoming messages and immediately called for a contingent of guards and a transport to be prepped. She was going down to investigate this nonsense, but not before giving fair warning and sending another broadcast.

I am coming down to the planet's surface. Send my transport coordinates to land.

Spinning on her heel she headed directly for the transport bay, shouting back to watch the other ships and be prepared for anything. A quick detour took her past her quarters where she outfitted herself in battle-armour and attached her side-arm, no way in hell she was about to drop on an alien world without some protection. Inside the transport bay a group of a dozen armed and armoured soldiers were waiting for her inside the transport which had been prepped for launch. 'Efficiency really is a nice thing,' Aviana thought as she stepped on board and the transport lifted off heading to the planet.

Unified Western States
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Western States » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:43 pm

Ilharessa wrote:Vernanda herself was already away from the com unit, rushing through hallways and corridors as she ascended from the long-buried ship and into the upper levels. She breathed a sigh of relief as she burst into the open air, leaving open the mahogany doors of the tower itself. The wood had originally been different, but it had been replaced more recently, and with a plainer door, due to some incident in the past. She smiled as, with a handwaving, she motioned for the guards to open the door and let in their guests.

The guards, like all guards of Ilharessa, wore light ballistic fabric as the majority of their armor. Over the black fabric they added their boots, plates over the legs, plates on the arms, gauntlets, a breastplate, and the helmet. The metal items did little to stop a bullet, but it had been readily made obvious that a bullet is not the only way to kill someone. The guards kept spears that were, in theory, ceremonial on hand, with light forcepistols holstered on each one. The pistols were intended to be the real weapon of combat, but the guards had proven in the past that the spears could also be quite deadly if employed right. The guards were, at least, the color of the queen's banner, which was a deep red that faded to orange at the edges.

"Welcome to our world. As you can see, we've been here for quite some time. And..." Vernanda paused as one of the guards motioned to her dress. "Oh, yes, my appearance! Please forgive the state of it. We have only recently come out of an internal war and, sometimes, one must remind the various leaders that they are here to speak about continuing the peace quite forcefully. Do not worry for your own safety, though. They wouldn't dare show their faces again today."

She held up her hand and made motion for them to come. "I hope you do not mind if we head inside. I would pick a spot outside, but... well, I'm sure you've gotten the idea on your way down that life is not exactly the easiest on these islands. We've done what we could to reconstruct their biosphere, but it's not perfect."

Meanwhile, down in the ship's command cernter, Matron Fen was in the middle of lecturing Killenes on why she was an utter failure as a priestess and other disparages about her service when the message came in from the other arrivals in system. The Matron scowled as she turned her attention to it, giving the much younger girl the needed chance to escape the Matron's wratch for the moment. And forcing the Matron herself to remember how the system worked.

I am Matron Fin, of the priesthood of Ilharessa Ascendant, current caretaker of the crashed ship that brought us to this world and one of the advisors of Queen Belgani Vernanda. No hostilies are currently going on of which I am aware, though I may soon be initiating some against a pupil who has chosen to hide from her lecture. I assume you come in response to the distress call? One of our ancestors originally sent that call, but that was generations ago and we who are left are the descendants of those who crashed. Admittedly, we have had hostilities recently, but that was a minor internal problem which did not last overly long.

"Hopefully they won't believe nine hundred years to be overly long. Last I need is some heretic outsiders questioning my logic when my own mind does enough of that anymore," the Matron grumbled.

Then, came yet another, causing the matron to frown.

We welcome you to this system. As I have said to the others, it's... complicated. The distress call does not lie in saying we are stranded; it was originally intended for a time far in the past, and we are the descendants of the people who first landed here.

"I would love to come inside. It's nice to meet you, by the way." Luke said, following her inside and admiring the building. "Very nice planet you have here. Gorgeous scenery. Reminds me slightly of home, actually." Luke said thoughtfully. "So, what was this about an internal war?"
Last edited by Unified Western States on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ilharessa
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ilharessa » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:56 pm

"Coordinates? We haven't had that system running for years! The planetary map's been stored in the rear engine compar... Oh, yeah. The radiation leak. Didn't think anything important was there," the Matron muttered, mostly to herself. "Well, um... What do I put here for this?"

Our ship does not, at this time, have a planetary map, and we've not successfully mapped the planet due to unintended circumstances that have prevented us from making a map. Please follow the distress signal and land near the other guys.

"No need to tell them we had a map, but lost it."

Elsewhere, Vernanda was pondering exactly what to tell the party that had already landed as she led them through the halls. The statues of that woman, that same woman, lined the halls themselves. Strangely, up close, the statues looked similar to Vernanda. There were obvious differences; the ears were less pointed, the body a tiny bit less muscled, and the face had an austere, military cast about it instead of the wild animal sense that ruled Vernanda's. And yet, aside from those minor differences, the two looked almost exactly the same. Eyes, nose shape, thickness of lips, even the way Vernanda would smile at one corner.

"The internal war? It's... difficult to properly explain." She paused by one statue. "This is Captain Belgani Ilharessa. Our people have named the nation we currently are after her, and often refer to ourselves as Ilharessans. She is also my ancestor; it was her who commanded the ship that landed upon this world, her who set in motion the program to restore the biosphere so we may survive, and her who set the mission for us to eventually repair the ship and return to the stars. As you've probably seen, we're a lot more numerous now than the five hundred thousand she had to work with back then. And half of those were directly out of coldsleep and not functional for weeks."

Vernanda then motioned for them to follow as she headed on. "For awhile, we had a military government, though it eventually, and peacefully, transitioned into a merchant's tribunal. For about three generations, we had a stable, peaceful government and a people that were growing withint problems. And then..."

Vernanda stopped and sighed. "Have you noticed how this building is heavily decorated with her image? Yet, I think it's obvious to you that it is not a memorial of her. I also think it should be more than a little obvious that this is not the permanent capital of the nation and, realistically, not a government building. The merchant tribunal was still in power when the priests emerged from underground. Declaring themselves to be the messengers of who they called Ilharessa Ascendant, the same woman who I call ancestress and who's image is all over this point, they declared they had the holy mission of leading our people to the stars. They also brought with them technology... items like the forcepistols you saw on the guards outside. The populace was awed by them and, in only a decade, they were running things."

Vernanda looked up to the statue. "Only, eventually, it was discovered that the priesthood had hidden a few things. The technology was not gifts from Ilharessa herself, but items produced by the ship's still-functional automated factories. Factories once intended to service troops being deployed for battle were instead servicing the spread of a new religion. It wasn't long before people began to question the priesthood, to suggest that maybe they were wrong, and then to suggest that maybe they lied about everything."

She glances over to the visitors. "It was nine hundred years ago when that questioning resulted in violence. The priesthood, losing control over the populace, responded to one person questioning them by executing him. They thought it would unite the people by showing them the results of asking the wrong questions." Vernanda smiles wanly. "They forgot: We're descended from soldiers. Instead, the execution divided the society neatly in half and a civil war started. It wasn't long before the two sides broke apart even further, with what were two factions eventually becoming tribes. And thus, the tribal war began."

She sighs. "Nine hundred years is a long time for any people, even ones with our lifespans. The people got tired of the fighting and, finally, the tribes themselves were almost destroyed by open revolution from the people. So, the tribes got together and, finally, made a deal: They would work together to put our nation back together, but it must be under a mediator. That's where I come in; I am Queen of the nation, diplomat to foreigners, and mediator of our society's shift from a group of tribes to a nation again. And that is the internal war.. And now, I have forty million people who I get to tell that we may be, finally, about to complete the mission. The priesthood is going to be unamused by this."

"Your Maje... Please don't hang me by my innards!" said a boy messenger as he came running up.

"You again... You must have the worst of luck," Vernanda said, her eyebrow raised. "What ill fate plagues you this time?"

"There's another group of visitors coming..." the boy muttered.

"Another group?" Vernanda then looked over to Luke. "Shall we go and meet these visitors? It seems you are not alone in visiting our world." She glances back to the kid. "Have the Matron to direct any others to land... um... Damn. What's the nearest clear spot that isn't dangerous?"

"Potter's Windfield, just a half click east," the boy responded.

"Right! Forgot they managed to clear all of the mines from that one. Nasty suckers... They'd spray you with needles loaded with a flesh-eating fungus. Good thing they're gone, too. Lovely land to plant a farm someday..." Vernanda smiled. "Alright. Tell any others to land there."

The Fedral Union
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:17 pm

Balboa raised an eyebrow at the transmission; he sat back in his chair musing for a second, he waved to the Isomorph standing in-front of him.

~Any response?~

~I can’t tell at least not from the planet, no one else seems to know were here, or at least they are ignoring us.~

Balboa sighed a bit, he crossed one leg over the other, and he placed a hand on his chin musing for a second before responding to the AI.

~Launch a probe, make sure it has a stealth pack equipped, target the source of the transmission, let’s see if we find something our sensors missed, in the mean time keep trying to hail the other powers in this system, if they don’t respond then raise shields, I don’t want to take any chances.~

The AI responded with a nod, for now it seems they were unnoticed, though how anyone could not noticed a seven hundred plus meter strike cruiser in orbit was beyond Commander Balboa.
A small spot on the large strike cruisers hull lit up for a split second as the flare of the planet born probe flickered in space, the small object was saucer in shaped with the exception of its Turbo jet reppeller behind it, it moved at high speed cloaking as soon as it cleared the cruisers dampening fields, as so it wasn’t to be scanned.

As it neared the atmosphere it would deploy two wings breaking the symmetry of the saucer and making it look more like an aerospace-craft.

Balboa spoke out through the comns attempting to get the attention of any one listing.
 The Terran Alliance means no one here any harm, since this is a possible first contact situation if anyone would like to meet  a  representative  of the of the Alliance please  let this ship know..

The message was short and simple, the cruiser rumbled over the planet in high geosnyc orbit, its engines dull and nearly unpowered. It sliced through the sky ominously bearing down, its rough hull being lit by the light reflecting from the planet bellow.
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
Member of the Galactic Economic and Security Organization
[REDACTED BY MOD]

Flecktarn
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Flecktarn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:20 pm

Aviana read the message and relayed the information to the transport's pilot, who immediately adjusted course and began a hard burn towards the surface. Not long after the transport had touched down beside the other shuttle in front of the building. Aviana and her guards disembarked, their chitinous armour making them all look like bone-white insects as they descended the ramp onto the planet's surface. As soon as the entire group had disembarked the transport took off again, heading to a low atmospheric orbit so it could provide immediate assistance if needed.

"Ma'am," said one of the soldiers, saluting as he approached, "with your permission I would like to take some of the men and secure a perimeter until we know what is going on."

Aviana considered the request and then looked up at the massive structure before her. "Neg, sergeant. I think we shall go for a stroll inside this building." With that she began a slow walk towards the building's entrance, the plates of her armour hissing slightly as the rubbed against each other with each stride.

Ilharessa
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ilharessa » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:43 pm

The Matron cursed even worse; her message to the newest arrivals had, instead, been projected at the moon. "How do you work this thrice-damned thing?"

Terran Alliance. Welcome. We are having issues with our computer, and we apologize for that. I'm including an image of Potter's Windfield. Please land a shuttle there?

"Hrmph. The queen better be capable of handling them," Fen muttered.

"Matron, we have a problem," Killenes said as she slunk back into the room.

"What is it now?"

"The signal isn't coming from the bridge. The ship's secondary comm array... you know, the one you assigned Brother Mivis to try to fix? Anyway, he managed to fix it. The point he got it working again is when the broadcast started. We, um, can't shut it off." Killenes tapped her fingers together nervously.

"By all that is holy... That's connected to the main power core. Girl, man the console. It's your job to let these infidels know where they can land, since our queen seems determined to talk to them. I swear, every day something else..."

Meanwhile, at the entrance to the tower itself, Aviana would likely find herself annoyed at having her passage blocked. As soon as she moves toward the building, the two spears of the guards lean forward to block her path. The spears themselves were not angled in a threatening manner, and if she'd look she'd find the guards with bored expressions on their faces.

"Miss, please wait while the Queen and the other guests arrive," one of the guards said. "And we would request you leave most of your armed escort out here. The Queen banned weapons of guests within the tower after an incident involving gunfire damaged a pillar and the ceiling in the main council chamber."

The other guard sighed and decided to add on. "Also, we request that you do not let your men visit the local tavern. We've been having issues with a band of thieves there as of late and an operation to catch them and bring them to justice is currently underway. Those who as obviously do not belong as yourselves would disrupt the investigation."

Hokotate
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hokotate » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:31 pm

OOC: Hey there! Would you mind if I joined in on this as well?

Ilharessa
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ilharessa » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:33 pm

OOC: Feel free!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents